Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1326 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Talent Spotter : Arshad Iqbal [VIDEO #46]

A comprehensive profile of Arshad Iqbal - A tall, right-arm fast-bowler who has starred for the Pakistan Under-19 team in Youth ODIs against Australia, New Zealand and at the 2018 Under-19 World Cup at the tender age of 17.

Name:  AI.JPG
Views: 30811
Size:  99.9 KB

Full name: Arshad Iqbal

Date of birth: December 26, 2000, Swabi

Major teams: Pakistan Under-19s

Batting style: Right-hand bat

Bowling style: Right-arm medium-fast

Height: 6 ft 2 in

Interest in Cricket

I had an interest in cricket from a very young age where I used to play in the village of Maneri which is in Swabi. I didn’t get that much support from my parents as they wanted me to concentrate on studying rather than playing cricket. When I was about 14 years of age, I started to play tape-ball cricket. People who saw me play tape-ball cricket were very impressed and advised me to play hard-ball cricket and I joined the Gohati Cricket Academy where Pakistan spinner Yasir Shah and Junaid Khan, the Pakistan fast bowler have also played from.

Playing District Level Under-16s

In a few months' time after joining the Gohati academy, I took part in the District Under 16 trials and was selected for Abbottabad Under 16s. However, I did not do that well at the Under 16 level where I took just 2 wickets in the PCB-PEPSI Cricket Stars U-16 Two Day Tournament 2015.

Promotion and success at the District and Regional Under-19 levels

A year after my setback at the Under-16 level, I was selected for Swabi Under-19s in the Regional Inter District Under 19 Tournament 2016-17, where I took 23 wickets in 6 games. Subsequently, I appeared in the Regional Under 19 trials and was selected for Abbottabad Region Under-19s. At this level, I struggled somewhat in the One-Day games but finished as joint top wicket-taker for Abbottabad in the Three-Day format. I was selected for the high-performance camp in Multan in 2016 and then returned in 2017 to play Inter-Region U19 tournaments. I played 5 One-Day and 7 Three-Day games for Abbottabad Under 19s and picked up 41 wickets in those matches, with 35 of them coming in the longer format where I topped the charts for my team.

Selection for the Pakistan Under 19 team for the Asia Cup in Malaysia 2017

It was an exciting time for me as I was picked as a reserve player for the Pakistan Under-19 team which went and played in the Asia Cup. Unfortunately, my services were not needed by the Pakistan Under 19s during this tournament but it seemed that my hard work was to be rewarded later with a place in the ICC Under 19 World Cup squad.

Experience of representing Pakistan in the Under 19 Cricket World Cup

I suppose after the disappointing performances in the Asia Cup, the selectors decided to look at other players as options for the all-important ICC Under 19 World Cup. I was called up and we had a number of practice matches where I bowled really well and impressed all the coaches and selectors. Amongst the senior coaches were the former Pakistan batsman Basit Ali and our Under 19 coach, Mansoor Rana who both really appreciated my bowling and made some encouraging remarks. This, I felt, was a great opportunity for me; the hard work I put in after not being selected in the main Under 19 squad for the Asia Cup seemed to have paid off with my selection for the Pakistan Under 19 World Cup squad.

As a team, we felt that we were heading in the right direction before the World Cup, starting with some great performances in the warm-ups and in One-Day series against Australia and New Zealand. As a fast-bowler, I really enjoyed bowling in Australia as the pitches provided good support for my style of bowling. Finally, when the World Cup started, I felt very honoured to be representing Pakistan at such a stage. This is something every young player dreams of and I was lucky to have been given that opportunity.

Victory and defeat are part and parcel of a sportsman's life, so I suppose, the loss to India in the semi-final whilst disappointing is something we took on the chin. Personally speaking, I was very happy with my own performance in that game and I really enjoyed taking the wicket of Riyan Parag as he was caught behind off my bowling at a time when India were scoring well; also, the ball was a little older which made the dismissal even more special. To be honest, to bowl alongside the likes of Mohammad Musa and Shaheen Shah Afridi was a unique experience as we all helped and supported each other out and I do hope that we can all bowl together for the Pakistan senior team one day, God Willing.

Role Models

I have always been impressed by Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis and have followed their performances. They have also inspired me a lot in my life as I wanted to swing the ball like Wasim Akram and bowl yorkers like Waqar Younis. Of course, Yasir Shah who is also from my area has been a great support for me and also provides me encouragement and support whenever I meet him.

Wicket-taking delivery

My most effective wicket-taking ball is the one I can bowl with out-swing which is also my natural manner of delivery. So, I am able to bowl at a good length and the batsmen then plays at it and the ball ends up in the hands of slips or with the wicket-keeper. In terms of speed, I am told that I have hit about 140Kph although I feel that with more training and by following the plans provided to me by my Under 19 coaching staff, I can improve this further.

Future plans

Like any young aspiring cricketer, I would like to play for my national side but to do that, I know I have to work very hard and show selectors what I can do. For that to happen, I will need to play first-class cricket and it is my wish to play for my favourite departmental team SNGPL at some point soon. I have spoken to Abdul Razzaq at SNGPL about my wish to play there and have also taken part in trials for the team, so I am hopeful that I will get to play first-class cricket next season.
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 1st March 2018 at 04:22.

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Apr 2016
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    314 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quality test prospect. Would definitely take him to our next tour of Aus.

Debut
    Apr 2016
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    314 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    On a side note, how about the talent coming from the KPK region.

Four of the five fast bowlers we took to the U-19 WC are from the region. A worthy place to invest some more academies and coaches.

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellipsism View Post
    Quality test prospect. Would definitely take him to our next tour of Aus.
    What about ODI?

Debut
    Apr 2016
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    314 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by babajee View Post
    What about ODI?
    IMO his game is more suited to the longer format. His natural line and length is perfect for test cricket.

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks set to play for WAPDA in this year's QeA.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1806 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Excellent performance versus Sri Lanka today, 4 wickets so far

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1252 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mak36 View Post
    Looks set to play for WAPDA in this year's QeA.

Naseem, Hasnain, Arshad & Shaur Could be our future.

Musa has simple equation infront of him. Since he is not tall so he has to become tear away pacer like Marshal or Waqar or a seamer like Hasan Ali (peak) who could seam the ball at consistent length and pace between 138 to 147 kph.

Mujhay hai Hukm e Azaa-n

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1326 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1806 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3-60 in the first innings vs PTV.

Debut
    May 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Ever since I first saw him at the U19 WC I thought he was a great prospect especially for tests. And as far as first impressions go I preferred him over Shaheen. Shaheen has a lot of raw potential no doubt but I feel Arshad will be the better bowler if properly looked after and groomed.

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    One thing I have observed is that our youngsters lack that grit and character that was present in their previous generation. We could rely on the bowlers of previous U19 sides to defend a mediocre score or at least make a match out of it. That feel is completely gone now. Plus, I think all these “under 19 boys” are overrated.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    379 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Should be in the A team at least.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1326 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Debut
    Jun 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is his pace looks slow in the vid

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Arshid Iqbal, Mohammad Musa, Mohammad Hasnain, Sameen gull should have been in Pak A instead of selected bowlers

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quality, quality bowler. Need to get him in the test side soon. Don't think he needs more than a season.

A skilled hawk conceals its talons.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Attock
    Runs
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He should be on the plane to SA later this year.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1730 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xoib View Post
    What is his pace looks slow in the vid
    He was hitting 140 clicks in u19 WC.

#Hum apko container deingaye dharnay ke liyay

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1730 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I'll be honest in the u19 side Arshad to me looked worse than Shaheen and Musa, but in this video here he looks spectacular. Hope he keeps improving and finds a spot in the side.

Why don't we find batsmen as regularly?

#Hum apko container deingaye dharnay ke liyay

Debut
    May 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    He has such a nice and smooth action. The pace bowling prospect I am most excited about.

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Destroyer View Post
    Quality, quality bowler. Need to get him in the test side soon. Don't think he needs more than a season.
    Do you think his left arm is a quirk or is it a hindrance?

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    379 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Exactly the type of bowler we need. At least select him for the A tour.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1870 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasan123 View Post
    Exactly the type of bowler we need. At least select him for the A tour.
    I keep on my stand from U19 WC - Arshad actually is a better prospect than Shaheen; might not fulfill his potential because Afridi already has a head start & has cracked the ultimate code that is - PSL, but Arshad has absolutely everything to be a top class skilled, fast-medium pacer. His high arm bowling action resembles more towards the WIN fast bowlers of olden days, than PAK pacers. Can't recall now, but Holding or Croft had lots of resemblance in early days with this action. With that action & height, he should be top prospect for next AUS/SAF tours in 2-3 years time.

BUT, he shouldn't be selected for A team against NZ in UAE - on that road, hardly any pacer can do much (in fact, Captains won't give him longer spells either there), and that'll put him out of Ul Haq's mind for 2-3 years at least, or till Rahat Ali is retired ). PAK should pick 18 men squad in SAF & may be 7 fast bowlers, just as a squad member Arshad, Naseem should accompany .... may be to bowl in nets .

Ul Haq picked 6 pacers in Asia Cup, for net practice in desert (may be that was the reason why PAK's batting looked bankrupt against spin - too much net session against pacers ....) - this time in SAF, PAK batsmen will need lot, lot, lot ........ lot more net session against pace - Ul Haq should pick them at least as ball boy. Practicing against a series of left-arm pacers in nets won't serve the purpose against 4 men right arm pace attack of Rabada, Styen, Ndgidi & Phillander - and Abbas/Hasan can't bowl for eternity in nets.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    No, it's pretty normal movement.

Debut
    May 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MMHS View Post
    I keep on my stand from U19 WC - Arshad actually is a better prospect than Shaheen; might not fulfill his potential because Afridi already has a head start & has cracked the ultimate code that is - PSL, but Arshad has absolutely everything to be a top class skilled, fast-medium pacer. His high arm bowling action resembles more towards the WIN fast bowlers of olden days, than PAK pacers. Can't recall now, but Holding or Croft had lots of resemblance in early days with this action. With that action & height, he should be top prospect for next AUS/SAF tours in 2-3 years time.

BUT, he shouldn't be selected for A team against NZ in UAE - on that road, hardly any pacer can do much (in fact, Captains won't give him longer spells either there), and that'll put him out of Ul Haq's mind for 2-3 years at least, or till Rahat Ali is retired ). PAK should pick 18 men squad in SAF & may be 7 fast bowlers, just as a squad member Arshad, Naseem should accompany .... may be to bowl in nets .

Ul Haq picked 6 pacers in Asia Cup, for net practice in desert (may be that was the reason why PAK's batting looked bankrupt against spin - too much net session against pacers ....) - this time in SAF, PAK batsmen will need lot, lot, lot ........ lot more net session against pace - Ul Haq should pick them at least as ball boy. Practicing against a series of left-arm pacers in nets won't serve the purpose against 4 men right arm pace attack of Rabada, Styen, Ndgidi & Phillander - and Abbas/Hasan can't bowl for eternity in nets.
    Exactly what I have said.

From the videos I have seen of Bishop, Arshad's action looks similar to me.

Debut
    May 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    It doesn't appear to be interfering with his throwing arm nor does it seem to mess up the rest of his action.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Venue
    Orlando, FL
    Runs
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Angrez Pakistani View Post
    One thing I have observed is that our youngsters lack that grit and character that was present in their previous generation. We could rely on the bowlers of previous U19 sides to defend a mediocre score or at least make a match out of it. That feel is completely gone now. Plus, I think all these “under 19 boys” are overrated.

You have to always remember other teams are there to 'win' the game as well...no matter how hard one tries, sometimes things just don't pan out as one wishes!

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    379 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I didn't see much of the u19 WC so I will take your word for it. But he does need to be included in the next A tour. As you always say he won't learn much from domestic now.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    445 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasan123 View Post
    I didn't see much of the u19 WC so I will take your word for it. But he does need to be included in the next A tour. As you always say he won't learn much from domestic now.
    Hold on bro, those spots are reserved for rahat Ali, Waqas Masood and umaid asif

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1806 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Playing in QEA final at the moment. Took 2/48
    Last edited by MenInG; 4th November 2018 at 14:21.

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has bowled intelligently in the National T20 Cup. Really surprising he missed out on PSL...

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1252 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    He is clearly unfit.

Either he has knocking knees issue or has right knee issue.

Not bowling as quick as previously seen.

Sluggish runup and poor follow through.

Because he is well built from top with strong shoulders hence bowling 137 kph.

He came in to bowl with Opposition in need of hit out hence he thrived against average lower middle order Peshawar batting line up.

Mujhay hai Hukm e Azaa-n

Debut
    Oct 2007
    Venue
    Amsterdam / Faisalabad
    Runs
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TalentSpotterPk View Post
    He is clearly unfit.

He came in to bowl with Opposition in need of hit out hence he thrived against average lower middle order Peshawar batting line up.
    He has the ingredients to succeed as a fast bowler. His action reminds me of Curtley Ambrose. How tall is he? He could be handy on wickets that provide some assistance.

A lot better prospect compared to Muhammad Musa.

"You aren't a failure if you fail, you are a failure if you don't get up to try again" - Imran Khan.

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He is clearly unfit.

This tournament he made his T20 debut and has played two games so far. In those, he has got top order wickets of (a set) Mukhtar Ahmed, Asad Afridi and Gauhar Ali. Has been economical throughout and showed bowling intelligence. You do him a disservice.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He is clearly unfit.

Maybe just the rhythm thing or can also be the fact that he is playing his first full season at this level. He and Nasim Shah will get stronger after playing more hopefully.

I rememeber even Amir struggled in his first season and got stress fracture on back. Bodies at this age are still developing so I dont think its something to worry, he will get over it.

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1252 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    This tournament he made his T20 debut and has played two games so far. In those, he has got top order wickets of (a set) Mukhtar Ahmed, Asad Afridi and Gauhar Ali. Has been economical throughout and showed bowling intelligence. You do him a disservice.

Actually you are new to the scene.

We have seen a far more superior talent getting destroyed while playing with knee injury. Subsequently he lost 3 years of competitive Cricket and faded away.

I saw Arshad bowl in both matches. He is not fit. He will break down soon.

It is not difficult to see fitness of a fast medium or fast bowler when he runs in.

If he has knocking knees than I am fine but if he has knee niggle and is he is still playing than it's terrible in the long run.

Mujhay hai Hukm e Azaa-n

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1252 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince of Pakistan View Post
    He has the ingredients to succeed as a fast bowler. His action reminds me of Curtley Ambrose. How tall is he? He could be handy on wickets that provide some assistance.

A lot better prospect compared to Muhammad Musa.

He is a good prospect. 6'3.

Musa will be gun bowler if he goes Marshall or Waqar's way ie he becomes 150 k bowler. Would be a nasty little fellow to handle.

If he doesnt become " FAST " bowler than he will become bilawal bhatti.

At present he is developing quite well irrespective of Emerging Cup handling.

Shaur, Naseem, Musa, Hasnain & Arshad are in competition for the long run.

Ilyas is Test prospect in mould of Pollock.

Mujhay hai Hukm e Azaa-n

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually you are new to the scene.

We have seen a far more superior talent getting destroyed while playing with knee injury. Subsequently he lost 3 years of competitive Cricket and faded away.

I saw Arshad bowl in both matches. He is not fit. He will break down soon.

It is not difficult to see fitness of a fast medium or fast bowler when he runs in.

If he has knocking knees than I am fine but if he has knee niggle and is he is still playing than it's terrible in the long run.
    Don't patronise.

The only point I have made is that he has bowled with great intelligence. He has been getting the ball to swing and seam in, has varied his pace and bowled to his fields. That is intelligent bowling, especially for someone who made his T20 debut in this tournament. You have written a lot in your posts but haven't actually addressed whether you agree with me on this. Perhaps you should.

Your original post made it sound like he was feasting on tailenders. If you had watched both games you would know that not to be true.

As for his knees, I haven't said anything on that and I will leave it to professionals who are at the scene.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1870 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    He is a good prospect. 6'3.

Musa will be gun bowler if he goes Marshall or Waqar's way ie he becomes 150 k bowler. Would be a nasty little fellow to handle.

If he doesnt become " FAST " bowler than he will become bilawal bhatti.

At present he is developing quite well irrespective of Emerging Cup handling.

Shaur, Naseem, Musa, Hasnain & Arshad are in competition for the long run.

Ilyas is Test prospect in mould of Pollock.
    Great to hear. Lots of good names here - Marshall, Waquar, Pollock .... Batti as well. PAK’s cricket stock must be rocketing high if youngsters are just to wish which way they want to go between Marshall, WY, Pollock .....

However, regarding the last line - which Pollock is that - Peter or Shaun? I presume you are talking about the bowler Pollocks here.

What little I have seen, this Ilyas kid brings 99% of his balls into right hander bowling chest on, wide of the crease and I read in PP that he is 5’9”!!! I thought Shaun used to release very close to sticks (he was among the few guys instrumental in changing the rule in bowlers breaking wickets at non strikers end at delivery stride) from his 6’3” ish high arm side on action and his stock ball was out swing with a very good off cutter that got him lots of LBW. His dad Peter was like 6’4”, one of the best ever hit the deck seemers who would bowl on off stick line relentlessly for hours and take it away from right handers - a great % of his wickets were caught at WK & 2 slips. 3rd one (among Pollocks) was Shaun’s uncle, bro of Peter, another 6’4” guy who used to bat at #4 for that SAF team blanking Bill Lawry’s Australia 4-0, batting in total 6 times; and he indeed could bat a bit.

I am not sure actually how Ilyas is in the mould of either bowler Pollock, but you must have spotted some special talent in him to compare with any of the Pollocks - may be in batting then. But, I think Ilyas kid will need a bit quicker moulding to fulfil his prospects around the batsman Pollock, Graeme Pollock that was.

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What little I have seen, this Ilyas kid brings 99% of his balls into right hander bowling chest on, wide of the crease and I read in PP that he is 5’9”!!!
    That is patently untrue. Read his talent spotter.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1870 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    That is patently untrue. Read his talent spotter.
    I am quoting from the talent spotter section - I believe this guy.

Full name: Mohammad Ilyas
    Born: 21st March, 1999, Peshawar
    Major teams: Pakistan Emerging Team, Peshawar Region Under 19s, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Under-19s, Peshawar Under-16s, Peshawar Under-19s, Peshawar Region
    Batting style: Right-hand bat
    Bowling style: Right arm medium-fast
    Height: 5ft 9in

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1252 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

The only point I have made is that he has bowled with great intelligence. He has been getting the ball to swing and seam in, has varied his pace and bowled to his fields. That is intelligent bowling, especially for someone who made his T20 debut in this tournament. You have written a lot in your posts but haven't actually addressed whether you agree with me on this. Perhaps you should.

I did not disagree on this mainly and my concern was fitness. But since you was reiterated hence I would say that as far as I saw he was getting nil conventional swing and was only getting seam movement and some reverse (unconventional swing).

This is not a criticism because I did watch the match and He came in to bowl in the 13th over when only Anderson, Steyn, Bhuveneshwar etc can swing the ball because they give the ball the air to swing with perfect seam position and release. Even they would have struggled to swing it much in such atmosphere.

Your original post made it sound like he was feasting on tailenders. If you had watched both games you would know that not to be true.

If you re-read my post I clearly pointed out " Peshawar " and today's match (today's update)

Gohar Ali attempted a slog and if you attempt such a shot against 135 - 137 kph delivery more often than not you will fail to connect and would get bowled. That's what happened.

Sajid Ali bats at number 7 and Waqas Maqsood batted at 8. I gave them decent respect by calling them lower middle order batsmen.

Both got dismissed in 19th over with Peshawar needing 28 runs of last 2 overs.

As for his knees, I haven't said anything on that and I will leave it to professionals who are at the scene.

And this was my main point. Which is fitness.

I haven't presented scans of his knees here neither expressed my opinion as an expert of fitness or a professional on this subject. But, I can express my opinion/ observation on this since as a viewer I saw the match and what I observed I penned it down.

You or anybody can disagree on my observation.

We are a country of 202 million people with Cricket being our main sports and it is a reality that at present we have very few fast medium pacers compared to our huge population. So we need to handle few of these guys very carefully.

Today Shikar Dhawan is one of the best Openers around in Odi Cricket. He was highest run getter in Under 19 WC and was only troubled by Ali Imran Pasha.

Ali was having a dream FC season once upon a time and he was tearing apart the opposition teams in that season. He was called for Pakistan A and was told my selectors that you are in line for Test Cap soon.

He had a knee niggle and he was forced to PLAY Final of QEA, broke down and did not play competitive Cricket for next 3.5 years.

At that time aswell some deemed him to be fit enough.

We all know aswell for a fact that Saleem asked Rameez Raja to take Zahid off the attack and let himself get analysed in the dressing room and Rameez was like Come On Shaaba run in faster. Zahid's Career ended there and than.

Junaid & Gul's injury debacles are well documented aswell.

All the best to Arshad Iqbal, Shaur, Hasnain, Musa & Naseem.

Mujhay hai Hukm e Azaa-n

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1252 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Great to hear. Lots of good names here - Marshall, Waquar, Pollock .... Batti as well. PAK’s cricket stock must be rocketing high if youngsters are just to wish which way they want to go between Marshall, WY, Pollock .....

However, regarding the last line - which Pollock is that - Peter or Shaun? I presume you are talking about the bowler Pollocks here.

What little I have seen, this Ilyas kid brings 99% of his balls into right hander bowling chest on, wide of the crease and I read in PP that he is 5’9”!!! I thought Shaun used to release very close to sticks (he was among the few guys instrumental in changing the rule in bowlers breaking wickets at non strikers end at delivery stride) from his 6’3” ish high arm side on action and his stock ball was out swing with a very good off cutter that got him lots of LBW. His dad Peter was like 6’4”, one of the best ever hit the deck seemers who would bowl on off stick line relentlessly for hours and take it away from right handers - a great % of his wickets were caught at WK & 2 slips. 3rd one (among Pollocks) was Shaun’s uncle, bro of Peter, another 6’4” guy who used to bat at #4 for that SAF team blanking Bill Lawry’s Australia 4-0, batting in total 6 times; and he indeed could bat a bit.

I am not sure actually how Ilyas is in the mould of either bowler Pollock, but you must have spotted some special talent in him to compare with any of the Pollocks - may be in batting then. But, I think Ilyas kid will need a bit quicker moulding to fulfil his prospects around the batsman Pollock, Graeme Pollock that was.

Well well well.

If we had Marshall, Waqar & Pollock in our domestic setup than we wouldn't be complaining about dismal performances over here.

I have not called them 2.0 version of those greats.

My Point was pace & height and the tracks these guys can go to.

Ilyas is marginally fast medium at the moment and I don't see him becoming fast bowler or express pacer. I do not see the ingredients.

Some would argue that Umar Gul was 77-81 kph bowler when he first came on to the scene and later we saw him cross 150+ aswell in his career. Well he had the ingredients.

Riaz Afridi is an example. He is elder brother of Shaheeh and he also had similar speeds as Gul in start but could not increase his speed.

Khaled Mahmud is another case from BD.

Ilyas is a seamer and this is what is common between him and Shaun Pollock. I am not old enough to have seen Peter and neither have I seen his bowling footage.

And Yes Shaun was 3 to 4 inches taller than Ilyas.

Since Ilyas is not pacy by any means hence he will have to be amongst top 3 wicket takers for 3-4 seasons to be in reckoning but at our place what excites the fans or the administrations is pace. It's mainly due to the culture of producing fast bowlers and despite not unearthing any out n out pacer after Sami we still have Euphoria wrt Pace.

Mujhay hai Hukm e Azaa-n

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1326 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Debut
    Jun 2008
    Venue
    Moscow, Russia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like 17 really

More like 20-21.

Poor fitness levels and not using the crease either. This camera work and quality gives a headache even though it's a 2 min clip.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1326 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Grade II

* NBP Stadium, Karachi

Quetta Region (First innings) 64 all out in 35.1 overs (Bismillah Khan 19, 47 b, 2x4s, Taimoor Khan 19, 68 b, 2x4s, 1x6, Arshad Iqbal 4-12, Fawad Malook 3-9, Himayat Ullah 2-12)

Abbottabad Region (First innings) 173-6 in 52 overs (Imran Shah 59*, 140 b, 9x4s, Adnan Raees 35, 54 b, 5x4s, Fawad Malook 27*, 34 b, 3x4s, 1x6, Mohiuddin 3-26)

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deewana Mastana View Post
    Like 17 really

More like 20-21.

Poor fitness levels and not using the crease either. This camera work and quality gives a headache even though it's a 2 min clip.
    Yeah, he's 20 now. They changed his age for some reason. Young, regardless.