Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cinephiles movies discussion thread

I dedicate most of my free time to watching movies and actually used a couple of years or so in my 20s for this. I believe I have watched 90% of all worthwhile movies from the Hollywood and worldwide cinema and most recommendations I get are of movies that I have already seen.

Also I would love to get recommendations or discuss our favourite movies or the classics (or not so classics) here with fellow cinephiles like @aliasad1998, @saadibaba, @SandyB etc.

Sorry If I haven't included you but feel free to get involved if you think you are a cinephile as I have seen most of the recent movies and need some recommendations.

Btw the last really good movie I saw was "Three billboards outside Ebbing Missouri". McDonagh (In Bruges is one of my favourite movies of all time) does it again, McDormand, Rockwell and Harlesson are brilliant as usual.

Get Out, GOTG 2, Wind River, John Wick 2, Spider Man Homecoming were good.

Didn't like Dunkirk (saw it one of the 5 70 mm cinemas here in Germany), Lady Bird, Call me by your name, The shape of water (Was alright but the ending was botched), Blade Runner (too much hype just for the graphics, the original was better).

Still haven't watched Phantom Thread (another epic collaboration between DDL and PTA, according to some) and Darkest Hour (Again according to some, Oldmans alleged best role as of date which is a very tall claim to begin with).
    Last edited by DeadBall; 4th March 2018 at 18:50.

Debut
    May 2012
    Venue
    Barad-dr
    Runs
    Mentioned
    427 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Gran Torino . IMO no other American actor commands such a strong presence on screen as does Clint Eastwood. Even his growling is so enthralling.

Tazimi Sirdar

Debut
    May 2012
    Venue
    Barad-dr
    Runs
    Mentioned
    427 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Other than De Niro of course.

Tazimi Sirdar

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TM Riddle View Post
    Gran Torino . IMO no other American actor commands such a strong presence on screen as does Clint Eastwood. Even his growling is so enthralling.
    Clint is a legend in acting (Spaghetti Westerns mostly) and directing, Unforgiven (like some poster recently posted on rewatching in the movie thread), Million Dollar Baby etc are unparalleled works of art.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Other than De Niro of course.
    I find De Niro and Pacino are just portraying caricatures of themselves furthering their Godfather success. Maybe their fame got in the way of their acting chops.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadBall View Post
    I find De Niro and Pacino are just portraying caricatures of themselves furthering their Godfather success. Maybe their fame got in the way of their acting chops.
    With Pacino always shouting and De Niro always giving that wry lopsided smile (was good in Awakenings though) but that is the case in most movies with good actors playing mentally disabled people. Like Kirk Lazarus said " You never go full re***".

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Btw how many of you hate that imdb don't their boards anymore. I usually use to browse them for actual opinions instead of planted reviews of late.

Debut
    May 2012
    Venue
    Barad-dr
    Runs
    Mentioned
    427 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Clint is a legend in acting (Spaghetti Westerns mostly) and directing, Unforgiven (like some poster recently posted on rewatching in the movie thread), Million Dollar Baby etc are unparalleled works of art.
    His dollars trilogy are truly a great watch but if I have to pick one movie of his I would go for Dirty Harry. He redefined the cop genre with his unconventional acting going to any lengths to solve the crime.
    Truly a mesmerizing performance!

Tazimi Sirdar

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    His dollars trilogy are truly a great watch but if I have to pick one movie of his I would go for Dirty Harry. He redefined the cop genre with his unconventional acting going to any lengths to solve the crime.
    Truly a mesmerizing performance!
    The dollar trilogy should actually be credited to the "Godfather" of spaghetti westerns aka Sergio Leone. However it is remarkable how much Clint was able to learn and replicate it from the master. The storytelling style is also very visible in his later non Western endeavours.

Debut
    May 2012
    Venue
    Barad-dr
    Runs
    Mentioned
    427 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Al Pacino to a certain extent yes but I disagree on De Niro. Sure his most of famous roles are from gangster flicks but there are several films in which he proved that he's a versatile actor such as Raging Bull , Taxy driver , The deer Hunter , The king of comedy , Cape fear , meet the parents , Silver linings playbook etc.
    Truly a modern great.

Tazimi Sirdar

Debut
    May 2012
    Venue
    Barad-dr
    Runs
    Mentioned
    427 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    The dollar trilogy should actually be credited to the "Godfather" of spaghetti westerns aka Sergio Leone. However it is remarkable how much Clint was able to learn and replicate it from the master. The storytelling style is also very visible in his later non Western endeavours.
    You are right and we are able to see it in Unforgiven where Clint was at his finest . The movie truly shows the brutal side of Westerns and that how the romanticism involved with gun-slinging is just a facade hiding the cruelty that is involved. Should have gotten a best actor Oscar for it.

Tazimi Sirdar

Debut
    May 2015
    Venue
    The Capital Wasteland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    477 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Clint Eastwoods screen presence is just unreal

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    443 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Cameron Crowe movies, try Almost Famous its old but one of his better movies.

Among the desi ones:

Mukti Bhvan, Newton,Aankhon Dekhi (no big bollywood actors in those,and no songs).

In cricket, my superhero is Sachin Tendulkar. He has always been my hero.
    -Virat Kohli

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great to see a thread like this. I wanted to start something like this myself but was afraid no one else will bite and I'll be left meandering on my own. I've written a bunch of reviews recently on the "What was the last film you watched?" thread so open to discussion on any one of those movies if one cares to.

Just finished watching the Oscars ceremony. I really liked "The Shape of Water" and was glad to see Del Toro finally getting some serious recognition. He picked a really offbeat and strange fairytale story and took it all the way to its utterly eccentric and bizarre yet glorious completion.

One cannot help admire the maddening no-hold-barred almost child like ambition of this movie in todays PC culture e.g. the love scene in the bathtub, the black and white 50's dream like dance sequence. The movie is not without faults but you ultimately forgive the director because of his single minded and relentless dedication to this project.

“I am not young enough to know everything.”

― Oscar Wilde

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my favorite movie in recent times is the big short

this movie show our global economy was about collapsed in 2008 if banks were not bailouts
    then today 7.5 billion people would be not alive

btw here favorite scene of that movie

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by good guy View Post

this movie show our global economy was about collapsed in 2008 if banks were not bailouts

Good film that.

I used to be a movie buff, drifted towards the TV box sets in recent years with the outstanding series available. There are usually only a handful of films released in a year which actually make me think, wow that was really worth going to the cinema for. You realise this when you have a subscription to movie packages at home and although you get a new release every day, most of them are rubbish.

Get Out was decent out of those you mentioned. Funnily enough, just took the family to watch the Black Panther recently and I was pleasantly surprised. The premise is ridiculous, but then most superhero movies are. But it was highly entertaining, and really enjoyed the performance of Michael B. Jordan who some of you might remember from The Wire.

I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman

Debut
    Sep 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Btw how many of you hate that imdb don't their boards anymore. I usually use to browse them for actual opinions instead of planted reviews of late.
    Me me me. After everytime I watched a movie I would surf the boards to read more details views and discussion on various plots ane reasoning behind every minute step. So really hated when the boards were closed.

There are a few sites where all the previous IMDB board discussions have been downloaded and made available to continue for further discussion incase you would like to read.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Al Pacino to a certain extent yes but I disagree on De Niro. Sure his most of famous roles are from gangster flicks but there are several films in which he proved that he's a versatile actor such as Raging Bull , Taxy driver , The deer Hunter , The king of comedy , Cape fear , meet the parents , Silver linings playbook etc.
    Truly a modern great.
    A very underrated movie...

Debut
    May 2012
    Venue
    Barad-dr
    Runs
    Mentioned
    427 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by karthikc View Post
    A very underrated movie...
    His collaborations with Martin Scorsese produced some of the finest pieces of cinema over the last few decades.

Tazimi Sirdar

Debut
    May 2012
    Venue
    Barad-dr
    Runs
    Mentioned
    427 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Rishwat View Post
    Good film that.

I used to be a movie buff, drifted towards the TV box sets in recent years with the outstanding series available. There are usually only a handful of films released in a year which actually make me think, wow that was really worth going to the cinema for. You realise this when you have a subscription to movie packages at home and although you get a new release every day, most of them are rubbish.

Get Out was decent out of those you mentioned. Funnily enough, just took the family to watch the Black Panther recently and I was pleasantly surprised. The premise is ridiculous, but then most superhero movies are. But it was highly entertaining, and really enjoyed the performance of Michael B. Jordan who some of you might remember from The Wire .
    OMG was that him? The kid grew up fine eh. Loved his underrated performance in the season 1.

Tazimi Sirdar

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The premise is ridiculous, but then most superhero movies are. But it was highly entertaining, and really enjoyed the performance of Michael B. Jordan who some of you might remember from The Wire.
    Yeah just remembered him from The Wire as it was a long time ago, However my favourite character from the Wire was Omar Little (Micheal Kenneth Williams) the guy just oozed badass, the fact that he was gay made it even badass-ier.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by good guy View Post

One of my favourite Ferrell movies along with Little Miss Sunshine, Foxcatcher and Crazy, Stupid, Love. Also the way they broke it down for the average Joe (especially Americans) was a great touch.

Debut
    May 2012
    Venue
    Barad-dr
    Runs
    Mentioned
    427 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Yeah just remembered him from The Wire as it was a long time ago, However my favourite character from the Wire was Omar Little (Micheal Kenneth Williams) the guy just oozed badass, the fact that he was gay made it even badass-ier.
    I liked McNulty more. His dedication towards his job was commendable despite his personal life being complete wreck.

Tazimi Sirdar

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    OMG was that him? The kid grew up fine eh. Loved his underrated performance in the season 1.
    He's becoming quite the movie star now, he was in Creed, the Rocky follow up. Also in Friday Night Lights from a few years back, another TV series about a small town American football team. Really good show that, I don't know if it's been mentioned here much, but I really liked it.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's becoming quite the movie star now, he was in Creed, the Rocky follow up. Also in Friday Night Lights from a few years back, another TV series about a small town American football team. Really good show that, I don't know if it's been mentioned here much, but I really liked it.
    And Fruitville Station which I think was his breakout role.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Saudi Arabia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IF you watch that many movies, try your hand at film review blog. Who knows it might become a good parallel stream of income for you.

Search on FB for group called High on Films, there are lots of guys/gals like who have passion for watching movies in free time and have excellent taste. You can connect with lot of like minded folks there.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TQ89 View Post
    IF you watch that many movies, try your hand at film review blog. Who knows it might become a good parallel stream of income for you.

Search on FB for group called High on Films, there are lots of guys/gals like who have passion for watching movies in free time and have excellent taste. You can connect with lot of like minded folks there.
    Thank you for the suggestion, although I don't need another stream of income I have written quite a few reviews on imdb but writing reviews is one thing and discussing the profound and useless details, the plot points, twists etc of a movie is another. That is why I liked imdb boards before as it was actually well moderated and had people with a lot of knowledge about movies. Of course there were trolls but the majority were cinephiles.

I don't like FB pages, twitter, snapchat etc (Actually am quite averse to them) as it is full of teens, trolls and I would rather not waste my time and energy over there. I'd rather just discuss it with genuine people here even though it would be at a lesser frequency but I am going for quality here rather than quantity.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have almost run out of quality films to watch. Can the cinephiles post a few of their favourite films in the chance that I (or others) haven't seen them.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Saudi Arabia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the suggestion, although I don't need another stream of income I have written quite a few reviews on imdb but writing reviews is one thing and discussing the profound and useless details, the plot points, twists etc of a movie is another. That is why I liked imdb boards before as it was actually well moderated and had people with a lot of knowledge about movies. Of course there were trolls but the majority were cinephiles.

I don't like FB pages, twitter, snapchat etc (Actually am quite averse to them) as it is full of teens, trolls and I would rather not waste my time and energy over there. I'd rather just discuss it with genuine people here even though it would be at a lesser frequency but I am going for quality here rather than quantity.
    You couldn,t be more wrong there. This group has adults in the majority and most are educated and doing day jobs. It is when they come from office that they watch movies and share recommendations on FB. Lot of posters are very good at discussion.

You wont find thread derailing like you find here or any fb group/forum. All discussions are on point. Most of the posters are indians but have excellent taste and watch movies from all regions (Korean, Japanese, Iranian, German, French, Belgian etc and variety of genres. This is why i recommended you the group. There must be 50 folks there who are just like you. Best part is when some newcomer complains that they have seen lot of movies and think there isn't much left to see and the posters there provide them with lot of movies that they haven't seen.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hopefully they will be non mainstream as there's a less of a chance of having watched them. A few of mine would be

Little Miss Sunshine - Great movie about a dysfunctional family with a suicidal Carell brought together by a girl wanting to participate in the beauty pageant. Its quite satirical and the final dance routine is hilarious.

Half Nelson - Gosling is a teacher who is addicted to drugs and is confronted by a student with whom he forms a connection. A hard but essential movie to watch.

Puncture - Chris Evans before he was Captain America plays a heroin addicted lawyer regarding needles in hospitals which caused the deaths of thousands of nurses per year but was not used because of the pharmaceutical monopoly of a manufacturer. Based on a true story.

Man on the Moon - One of Carreys best roles (along with Eternal Sunshine and The Truman show) on the life of Andy Kaufman.

Boondock Saints (part 1) - The only effort I think that could be compared to Tarantino.

The Man from Earth - Great movies exploring religious history. The build up and ending is a masterpiece.

Station Agent - Really good movie starring Dinklage before his GOT days.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You couldn,t be more wrong there. This group has adults in the majority and most are educated and doing day jobs. It is when they come from office that they watch movies and share recommendations on FB. Lot of posters are very good at discussion.

You wont find thread derailing like you find here or any fb group/forum. All discussions are on point. Most of the posters are indians but have excellent taste and watch movies from all regions (Korean, Japanese, Iranian, German, French, Belgian etc and variety of genres. This is why i recommended you the group. There must be 50 folks there who are just like you. Best part is when some newcomer complains that they have seen lot of movies and think there isn't much left to see and the posters there provide them with lot of movies that they haven't seen.
    Alright I will give it a go. Thanks for the suggestion.

Debut
    Aug 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have almost run out of quality films to watch. Can the cinephiles post a few of their favourite films in the chance that I (or others) haven't seen them.
    Have you watched the " Lives of Others " 2006 and No Man's Land 2001 ? If yes how did you find these movies, if not try them both have won the Oscar's.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Saudi Arabia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafa View Post
    Have you watched the " Lives of Others " 2006 and No Man's Land 2001 ? If yes how did you find these movies, if not try them both have won the Oscar's.
    I have seen a lot of german/belgian thrillers last year. They are the best at making thrillers. No US suspense movie made me feel so anguished as they did.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes I have as would any self respecting cinephile.

The Live of Others - I think was the most realistic depiction of the dark side of the former East Germany. You could actually feel the suffering, killing desperation and a terribly claustrophobic atmosphere behind that wall.

No Mans Land - In my opinion one of the best and most beautiful ( I love dark and satirical humor) ever made. Pity it was nominated for and won the best foreign film instead of best film.

Thanks for the great suggestion though, maybe others who haven't seen them might give it a go.

Debut
    Aug 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have seen a lot of german/belgian thrillers last year. They are the best at making thrillers. No US suspense movie made me feel so anguished as they did.
    Did you like The Lives of Others 2006 ?

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Contratiempo (2016) is an excellent Spanish thriller that immediately comes to mind. You should watch it if you haven't. I will make a more detailed list later.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Btw I saw The Lives Of Others with my wife and her aunt who is a run of the mill, firm, stern, close lipped German woman, built like a cupboard, but even she was choking from emotions after watching the movie.

Debut
    Aug 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you guys think that Shwashank Redemption is really deserving of it's cult following and the Number 1 Ranking in IMDB rankings ? Hope I don't offend the fans of the movie but I found it to be extremely slow and boring, maybe different taste for different people . Yet it amazes me because it has received such high votes from a huge number of people and not everyone could be wrong. No matter how good SR might be but I believe that I have seen much better ones which are ranked very low in comparison.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Saudi Arabia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you like The Lives of Others 2006 ?
    That was the first movie recommended to me by the folks in the FB group and the very first german thriller i saw. I loved the movie

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another great thriller is El secreto de sus ojos 2009 (The Secret in their Eyes). A movie about the vengeful and unforgiving nature of man (woman in this instance). A must see for all cinephiles. The remake was quite decent too which is quite a rarity.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you guys think that Shwashank Redemption is really deserving of it's cult following and the Number 1 Ranking in IMDB rankings ? Hope I don't offend the fans of the movie but I found it to be extremely slow and boring, maybe different taste for different people . Yet it amazes me because it has received such high votes from a huge number of people and not everyone could be wrong. No matter how good SR might be but I believe that I have seen much better ones which are ranked very low in comparison.
    I do think it is the perfect "mainstream" movie but perfection is subjective. The fact that it was based on a Stephen King novel, most of his works have been very well adapted for the screen, I mean don't even get me started on The Green Mile and Misery (Storm of the Century gets a special mention) and that Frank Darabont directed it (who I hold on the same pedestal as Sidney Lumet and PTA), any result other than perfection would have been a huge let down. I personally think it is visual poetry in motion but others may not (nor have to) agree.

Debut
    Aug 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Bands Visit ( Arabic),
    Waltz with Bashir ( Israel),
    Peppermint Candy ( Korean),

Anyone seen these movies?

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    443 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Best thread on TP right now!! So many suggestions.

In cricket, my superhero is Sachin Tendulkar. He has always been my hero.
    -Virat Kohli

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sweet thread.

Dunkirk was a technical masterpiece.

Looking forward to The Irishman.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1302006/

Check the cast!

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    I think I am in the same boat as you. It was watchable, but not something I've ever felt compelled to watch again. I didn't even realise it was a Stephen King book until recently. It always seemed massively overrated to me.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by R3verse Swing View Post
    Sweet thread.

Dunkirk was a technical masterpiece.

Looking forward to The Irishman.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1302006/

Check the cast!
    Am really looking forward to this especially now that the filming is done. The cast + the director should be GOAT but such things could be hit or miss. Righteous Kill was hyped as such a movie because it contained both De Niro and Pacino together for the first time after Heat (which was a Mann masterpiece in it's on right), it did contain Fiddy Cent though . That's why I love talking about movies, you give one example and end up remembering another classic in the process.
    Last edited by DeadBall; 5th March 2018 at 23:01.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone seen "The Killing of a Sacred Dear"

Not that its the best movie I've seen in the last 6 months or so but no movie has stayed with me for this long. The creepy story, the Kubrickian cinematography, the distant almost mechanical acting. Its a dread fest but extremely fascinating and hypnotically gripping. Here's my review of the movie that I posted on the 'last film watched' thread

I have not seen Yorgos Lanthimos previous movies, mainly "The Lobster" which got critical acclaim on its release in 2015. Not knowing much about the movie other than seeing a brief scene with Nicole Kidman in it which seemed riveting, I was curious and was just looking for something different. Never in my wildest dreams was I expecting this movie to be one of the most disturbing yet engrossing experiences of my cinephile life. Never since "Kids" in 1995 has there been a movie that has left me so unnerving, emotionally exhausted, drained and deeply saddened. Its been three days since I have watched the movie and its still fresh in my mind.

Its a story about a surgeon who has befriended a teenage boy. The boys father died while he was performing surgery on him through fault of his own. Colin Farrell plays the surgeon, hidden behind a thick salt and pepper beard, he is stoic, professional and calm in his demeanor yet something is deeply sinister about him. The young teenage boy played by Barry Keoghan who I ironically saw in Dunkirk recently as well, appears to be sweet and innocent at times and at times, utterly scary and demonic.

The thing which I liked the most about the movie is its tone. A deep anxiety sets in right from the beginning with the eerie back ground sounds and Kubrickian camera work with the signature dolly shots following the movement of the characters mechanically through passages and corridors and at times the passive almost dispassionate interest in its subject in some scenes with the camera coldly recording events from a distance, with an almost a God like neutrality.

Without going much into the plot, the story is based on a Greek myth with a modern interpretation. The Surgeon has to decide which family member he has to sacrifice in order to save the rest of the family from certain painfully excruciating death.

There are a number of disturbing scenes. Kids are seen numb from waist down and famished, dragging themselves on the floor while feeding tubes are stuck in their nasal passages. A scene of intimacy between a couple which has nothing but macabre written all over it. In general, the overall sense of gloom and doom is so unrelenting and overpowering throughout the movie that by the end you are counting minutes for the torture to be over.

Yet, the pleasure of such a disturbing watch pays dividends down the road. One cannot help admire the mastery at work, the whole hearted dedication of the movie maker to make such a bold and unapologetic movie. Especially in these PC times where victim narratives are the thing and a movie without any sort of redemption or sweet natured ending is unheard of. In short, this movie is not for the faint of heart.

I would recommend it to Kubrick fans the most. In Lanthimos, we may finally have his truest successor.

― Oscar Wilde

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Am really looking forward to this especially now that the filming is done. The cast + the director should be GOAT but such things could be hit or miss. Righteous Kill was hyped as such a movie because it contained both De Niro and Pacino together for the first time after Heat (which was a Mann masterpiece in it's on right), it did contain Fiddy Cent though . That's why I love talking about movies, you give one example and end up remembering another classic in the process.
    Heat is one of the best films ever, have the Steelbook edition. Michael Mann pulled off a blinder. Great balance in the movie.

My only worry about The Irishman is it might turn out to be like The Score which had, Brando, De Niro, and Norton. Great cast but the movie was a complete let down.

I might just watch Goodfellas or Gangs of New York tonight! Daniel Day less, now he's an actor!

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just saw an ad with Ray Winstone that reminded me of Sexy Beast (2000). One of the more under rated crime/heist thrillers. However Ben Kingleys character (Don Logan) is one of the most truly terrifying, bone chillings portrayals of a gangster ever recorded on film. Should have won the Oscar for Best Supporting actor.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by saadibaba View Post
    Has anyone seen "The Killing of a Sacred Dear"

Not that its the best movie I've seen in the last 6 months or so but no movie has stayed with me for this long. The creepy story, the Kubrickian cinematography, the distant almost mechanical acting. Its a dread fest but extremely fascinating and hypnotically gripping. Here's my review of the movie that I posted on the 'last film watched' thread
    It sounds absolutely dismal, a bit like One flew over the Cuckoo's Nest, which I think was also a Kubrick film. That was a critically acclaimed film, but it seemed like hard work to me. Maybe I was just too immature to appreciate it at the time, but I've never had any desire to watch it again.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by R3verse Swing View Post
    Daniel Day less, now he's an actor!
    Will be watching Phantom Thread (another Oscar nomination for him, surprise, surprise) tonight. Too bad it will be his last movie.

Although (Fun Fact) I do remember before when he took a break of a few years and went to Florence, Italy to become an apprentice cobbler to a master shoe maker. It took Scorcese 10 months to persuade him to come back to the States to play the role of Bill The Butcher in Gangs Of New York.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sounds absolutely dismal, a bit like One flew over the Cuckoo's Nest, which I think was also a Kubrick film. That was a critically acclaimed film, but it seemed like hard work to me. Maybe I was just too immature to appreciate it at the time, but I've never had any desire to watch it again.
    Its a hard watch but ultimately rewarding as the movie's brilliance stays with you. Plus its such a departure from what is being made nowadays. Glad to see movies like that with such odd appeal getting the green light from the studios in our current sea of mediocre and Super-Hero genre movies.

One flew over the Cuckoo's nest is actually not a Kubrick movie. Its by Milos Forman, his other notable work being the Mozart and Salieri musical rivalry Amadeus, People vs. Larry Flynt and my personal favorite "Man on the Moon" about the life of comedian Andy Kaufman played brilliantly by Jim Carey.

There is actually a documentary about that movie on Netflix called "Jim and Andy- The great beyond" which is made up of footage showing Jim Carrey as he shot that movie and stayed in character as Andy Kaufman on and off the screen for the whole 4 months. A remarkable and hilarious example of method acting.

Kubrick could have never directed such an actor oriented movie like Cuckoo's nest as he was known for treating his actors like puppets often giving them line readings and draining their style and interpretation of the character out of their performance by doing multiple takes of a single scene. Killing of a Sacred Dear espouses the same Kubrikian technique of robotic and artificial dialogue delivery which surprisingly works for the movie making it more chilling.

― Oscar Wilde

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Yorkshire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Get Out was superb. I have a close relative who is always trying to prove how liberal and accepting he is towards everyone, especially ethnic minorities - and he is a lot like the sycophantic, overly familiar and super-tolerant family members in the film. I wonder if he will recognise himself when he watches it!

Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    everywhere
    Runs
    Mentioned
    261 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The 1st movie which blew away my mind was Fight club starring Brad pitt and Edward Norton.

The entire theme of the movie was well conceptualised. The frustration of the commom man living in a capitalist society, the venting out of this frustration, the urges of a weak insignificant person which take shape of a distinct personality within him which was everything he ever wanted to be. The whole package came together and left a big impression on me. Later i went on to read the book as well. It is authored by Chuck Palahniuk.

I still remember a quote from the movie which is something that i think of everytime i have an urge to buy something expensive which i can do without.

"The things you own, end up owning you".
    Last edited by Madplayer; 7th March 2018 at 04:15.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Its a hard watch but ultimately rewarding as the movie's brilliance stays with you. Plus its such a departure from what is being made nowadays. Glad to see movies like that with such odd appeal getting the green light from the studios in our current sea of mediocre and Super-Hero genre movies.

One flew over the Cuckoo's nest is actually not a Kubrick movie. Its by Milos Forman, his other notable work being the Mozart and Salieri musical rivalry Amadeus, People vs. Larry Flynt and my personal favorite "Man on the Moon" about the life of comedian Andy Kaufman played brilliantly by Jim Carey.

There is actually a documentary about that movie on Netflix called "Jim and Andy- The great beyond" which is made up of footage showing Jim Carrey as he shot that movie and stayed in character as Andy Kaufman on and off the screen for the whole 4 months. A remarkable and hilarious example of method acting.

Kubrick could have never directed such an actor oriented movie like Cuckoo's nest as he was known for treating his actors like puppets often giving them line readings and draining their style and interpretation of the character out of their performance by doing multiple takes of a single scene. Killing of a Sacred Dear espouses the same Kubrikian technique of robotic and artificial dialogue delivery which surprisingly works for the movie making it more chilling.
    I do agree with you on the deluge of mediocre movies, something which puts me off watching cinema much these days, especially the superhero genre. But the artsy films are probably a bit too much in the other direction for me, although I can appreciate a true cinephile would get more out of them. Generally when these films win awards there's something commendable about them even if they aren't to everyone's personal taste.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do agree with you on the deluge of mediocre movies, something which puts me off watching cinema much these days, especially the superhero genre. But the artsy films are probably a bit too much in the other direction for me, although I can appreciate a true cinephile would get more out of them. Generally when these films win awards there's something commendable about them even if they aren't to everyone's personal taste.

Contrary to what you may think, I am not a big fan of "prestige" or Oscar bait movies. They usually come out before the award season featuring former Oscar winning actors e.g. Meryl Steep, Judi Dench, Tom Hanks etc. and are usually based on current social hot button issues.

"The Post" is a good example of such a movie. Full disclosure, I have not seen the movie as even its trailer makes me nauseous with its high minded pretentiousness. Its easy to see why the liberal media and intelligentsia wanted a self congratulatory tap on their shoulders for making such a socially conscious and "culturally relevant" movie. It was tailor made to win awards. The hollowness of such an endeavor is what repels me.

I rather watch any of the New French Extremist movies or some old 70's flick. Even if I end up not liking them at least there is some degree of originality and creativity behind them.

― Oscar Wilde

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Contrary to what you may think, I am not a big fan of "prestige" or Oscar bait movies. They usually come out before the award season featuring former Oscar winning actors e.g. Meryl Steep, Judi Dench, Tom Hanks etc. and are usually based on current social hot button issues.

"The Post" is a good example of such a movie. Full disclosure, I have not seen the movie as even its trailer makes me nauseous with its high minded pretentiousness. Its easy to see why the liberal media and intelligentsia wanted a self congratulatory tap on their shoulders for making such a socially conscious and "culturally relevant" movie. It was tailor made to win awards. The hollowness of such an endeavor is what repels me.

I rather watch any of the New French Extremist movies or some old 70's flick. Even if I end up not liking them at least there is some degree of originality and creativity behind them.
    I somewhat agree with your point but not all such movies deserve the same treatment. For example most of DDLs movies are Oscar baits (successfully so) but still they are some of the finest movies ever made. Same goes for some Scorcese, Spielberg, Nolan etc movies.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was in a mood frome thrillers so I re watched two of my favourite last night

Zodiac by David Fincher - Superb performances and a master class in direction, even though I knew the story from before and have watched the movie several times I still think they are going to find the killer towards the end.

Prisoners by Villenvue - Shows the lengths a person will go for their loved ones. The plot is very dark and full of twists and the ending is a cause of much debate (Which we can talk about here if anyone has seen it).

Would also like to recommend Incendies by Villenvue, it is about a couple of Canadian Lebanese who go back their home country to fulfill the wishes of their mother's will. It is a very intense and one of the best movies about wars in the Middle East and the ending (like most Villenvue movies) will leave you shocked and numb.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen The Post. It's a dialogue movie, but in Speilberg's own words, he rushed the movie given the hoohaa behind fakenews these days.

I still think Lincoln was one his better movies of late.

Debut
    May 2012
    Venue
    Barad-dr
    Runs
    Mentioned
    427 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I still don't get the love for The Breakfast club? Guess you had to be born in that era to fully appreciate the message.

Tazimi Sirdar

Debut
    May 2012
    Venue
    Barad-dr
    Runs
    Mentioned
    427 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    IMO Ferris Bueller's day off was much better and entertaining film.

Tazimi Sirdar

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    I still don't get the love for The Breakfast club? Guess you had to be born in that era to fully appreciate the message.
    Definitely a period movie, and with the 80's a lot of those movies can look really dated out of context. Agree with you about Ferris Bueller though, even though it's ancient, it's still quite funny now. Loads of movies ripped off bits of that.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Was in a mood frome thrillers so I re watched two of my favourite last night

Zodiac by David Fincher - Superb performances and a master class in direction, even though I knew the story from before and have watched the movie several times I still think they are going to find the killer towards the end.

Prisoners by Villenvue - Shows the lengths a person will go for their loved ones. The plot is very dark and full of twists and the ending is a cause of much debate (Which we can talk about here if anyone has seen it).

Would also like to recommend Incendies by Villenvue, it is about a couple of Canadian Lebanese who go back their home country to fulfill the wishes of their mother's will. It is a very intense and one of the best movies about wars in the Middle East and the ending (like most Villenvue movies) will leave you shocked and numb.

You and saadibaba definitely win the cinephile awards for PP going to have to hold my hands up here. I might look out for Zodiac and give it a try. Normally I give these films a miss, but could be my loss it seems.

Debut
    May 2012
    Venue
    Barad-dr
    Runs
    Mentioned
    427 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Definitely a period movie, and with the 80's a lot of those movies can look really dated out of context. Agree with you about Ferris Bueller though, even though it's ancient, it's still quite funny now. Loads of movies ripped off bits of that.
    Speaking of , Have you seen Dazed and confused? One of my all-time favorite movies. Matthew McConaughey even though had a comparatively shorter role acted brilliantly. Alright , alright , alright

Tazimi Sirdar

Debut
    May 2012
    Venue
    Barad-dr
    Runs
    Mentioned
    427 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    You and saadibaba definitely win the cinephile awards for PP going to have to hold my hands up here. I might look out for Zodiac and give it a try. Normally I give these films a miss, but could be my loss it seems.
    I might be a minority in here but found Zodiac a tad boring tbh. Mind you the leads acted really well but imo it lacked on the action part which makes the thrillers even more exciting. Seemed to drag on a bit in the middle.

Tazimi Sirdar

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Speaking of , Have you seen Dazed and confused? One of my all-time favorite movies. Matthew McConaughey even though had a comparatively shorter role acted brilliantly. Alright , alright , alright
    Nope, never watched that one, will look out for it now though. For some reason that one went under the radar. I don't always watch the comedies and probably missed a few gems as a consequence.

Debut
    May 2012
    Venue
    Barad-dr
    Runs
    Mentioned
    427 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Nope, never watched that one, will look out for it now though. For some reason that one went under the radar. I don't always watch the comedies and probably missed a few gems as a consequence.
    It's a Richard Linklater classic and defo amongst the greatest high school movies ever made. Launched quite a few new actors some of whom such as McConaughey and Ben Affleck went on to achieve the mega star status later on.

Tazimi Sirdar

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I might be a minority in here but found Zodiac a tad boring tbh. Mind you the leads acted really well but imo it lacked on the action part which makes the thrillers even more exciting. Seemed to drag on a bit in the middle.
    Thrillers doesn't necessary mean action. This was a crime, drama, thriller. The atmosphere created was so tense that you could cut it with a knife. The pacing was perfect too.

Another such movie which I just remembered is Changeling (2008) by Eastwood starring Angeline Jolie in one of her best roles. The story is that a missing child is kidnapped and after a series of events found, however Jolies character is adamant that this is not her child, she is forced to keep him but she keeps on the search of her child anyway. There are a few horrifying twists and one feels emotional drained by the end of the movie. A real coaster ride though.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would recommend that you do. If you like drama/crime/thrillers you won't regret it.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you like action thrillers, I would recommend you to watch

The Next Three days with Russel Crowe ( A man trying to break out his wrongfully (?) accused wife).

Man on Fire with Denzel Washington, (A washed up bodyguard goes on a search to find the girl who was kidnapped under his watch).

Body of Lies with Di Caprio and Crowe (An action spy thriller in the middle east)

Sicario, another Villenvue masterpiece. (On the Mexican drug cartels and the US/Mexican forces trying to stop them).

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sicaro was brilliant, looking forward to part II.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Yorkshire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Prisoners was excellent. Very underrated.

Debut
    Aug 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen thousands of movies over the years and some of the few that still stand out are:

The secret in their eyes.
    The Lives of others.
    Downfall.
    Das Boot.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    London, England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hell yeah Dazed and Confused. One of my favourites. Dialogue's quotable, acting's good and the choice of music fits in really well. A great coming of age film.

"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else" - A.E

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    London, England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stand by Me is a really underrated film. One of my favourites of all time. Everything about it. Can relate to so much about the feelings you have growing up and the environment surrounding you. Just like Dazed it has great dialogue and the music is so good.

"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else" - A.E

Debut
    May 2012
    Venue
    Barad-dr
    Runs
    Mentioned
    427 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    A time to Kill- I'm a huge Matthew McConaughey fan and this little unknown film of him is testament to his superb acting abilities. Thoroughly enjoyed it and it's hard to believe Joel Schumacher was the director.

Tazimi Sirdar

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A time to Kill- I'm a huge Matthew McConaughey fan and this little unknown film of him is testament to his superb acting abilities. Thoroughly enjoyed it and it's hard to believe Joel Schumacher was the director.
    I couldn't believe it either. Although all the actors played their roles convincingly well , especially Sameul L Jackson who kept his over acting black guy instincts at bay.

On a different note, McConaughey has gone from leap to leap, from romcom crap like How To Lose A Guy In 10 days, Failure To Launch etc to Dallas Buyers Club, Mud, Interstellar plus the cameo in The Wolf Of Wall Street.
    Last edited by DeadBall; 8th March 2018 at 22:43.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrowingRooster View Post
    Stand by Me is a really underrated film. One of my favourites of all time. Everything about it. Can relate to so much about the feelings you have growing up and the environment surrounding you. Just like Dazed it has great dialogue and the music is so good.
    A classic for more than one reasons. Stand By Me is another Stephen King novel done right especially with Reiner at the helm. However this is the movie where River Phoenix (brother of legendary Juaqiun Phoenix, Gladiator, Her etc) got in with the bad crowd and died of an overdose. This severely affected his brother and also Johnny Depp who was surprised to be addicted and in the group at the time and has recently gone back to his addiction since his mother died (he has a tattoo of her name) during the filming of The Rum Diaries. He divorced his wife of many years only to impulsively marry Amber Heard and we all know what happened with that.
    Last edited by DeadBall; 8th March 2018 at 22:52.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I somewhat agree with your point but not all such movies deserve the same treatment. For example most of DDLs movies are Oscar baits (successfully so) but still they are some of the finest movies ever made. Same goes for some Scorcese, Spielberg, Nolan etc movies.

Agree, not all Oscar bait movies are bad. I think studios have recognized that the revenue generated by a "serious" movie can significantly go up after an Oscar win or even recognition. Hence, they only release these movies close to the award season so they can get the necessary buzz and attention. Unfortunately, this also breeds movies whose only purpose of existence other than being considered for awards seems perfunctory.

Since you mentioned Spielberg, I have to confess my growing dislike for his work lately. I agree that he is perhaps the most talented visual story teller of our times, knowing exactly where to place the camera and at what angle. However, he seems to be straying from his strong points and instead appear more interested in high minded prestige movies with heavy doses of morality. The last movie by Spielberg which I really enjoyed was Minority Report. Even though I wanted to like Bridge of Spies, the forced earnestness and nobility that was foisted on the protagonist of the movie made the character less believable and the movie an exercise in futility for me.

And lets not even start on how Spielberg is singlehandedly responsible for killing the idea of cinema as a serious art form and ushering us into the era of the "blockbusters" and "weekend box office numbers". Something which was probably bound to happen sooner rather than later but the fact that he so gloriously transformed the entire movie culture on his own is both commendable and reprehensible at the same time.

― Oscar Wilde

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    London, England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A classic for more than one reasons. Stand By Me is another Stephen King novel done right especially with Reiner at the helm. However this is the movie where River Phoenix (brother of legendary Juaqiun Phoenix, Gladiator, Her etc) got in with the bad crowd and died of an overdose. This severely affected his brother and also Johnny Depp who was surprised to be addicted and in the group at the time and has recently gone back to his addiction since his mother died (he has a tattoo of her name) during the filming of The Rum Diaries. He divorced his wife of many years only to impulsively marry Amber Heard and we all know what happened with that.
    Yeah Misery is a great King/Reiner film. Suspense builds up great and the film freaked me out. All down to Kathy Bates. Hitchcock's Psycho is another one that's actually managed to freak me out without resorting to all the crap they put in typical suspense/horror/psychological thriller films nowadays.