Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wanted to add, Flight Club, is one of the most overrated movies I have ever seen. The majority of votes for this film are from people who suffer from insecurities. Battering folk is more of an inner sense than reality.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    London, England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadBall View Post
    A classic for more than one reasons. Stand By Me is another Stephen King novel done right especially with Reiner at the helm. However this is the movie where River Phoenix (brother of legendary Juaqiun Phoenix, Gladiator, Her etc) got in with the bad crowd and died of an overdose. This severely affected his brother and also Johnny Depp who was surprised to be addicted and in the group at the time and has recently gone back to his addiction since his mother died (he has a tattoo of her name) during the filming of The Rum Diaries. He divorced his wife of many years only to impulsively marry Amber Heard and we all know what happened with that.
    Yeah Dogfight's the only other River Phoenix film I've seen. It's a good little film. He could have achieved a lot like Dean. Yeah Johnny Depp still part owns The Viper Room where Phoenix died. Joaquin had it rough, there's a 911 call he made while his brother was collapsed. Hard to listen to.

"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else" - A.E

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrowingRooster View Post
    Yeah Misery is a great King/Reiner film. Suspense builds up great and the film freaked me out. All down to Kathy Bates. Hitchcock's Psycho is another one that's actually managed to freak me out without resorting to all the crap they put in typical suspense/horror/psychological thriller films nowadays.
    Have you seen the mini series "Storm Of The Century" based on another King novel? If not, I would highly recommend it. Colm Feore does an excellent job as The Wizard/Monster/Demon/Devil in playing the character Andre "Linoge" which is an anagram for Legion indicating that he was probably a demon in the Biblical context.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by R3verse Swing View Post
    Just wanted to add, Flight Club, is one of the most overrated movies I have ever seen. The majority of votes for this film are from people who suffer from insecurities. Battering folk is more of an inner sense than reality.
    I think you failed to get the point. The exact point of the movie was that you get to a point of frustration that battering folks makes you feel better especially in this recent consumer driven, hollow existence of ours. It shows that you can go to extremes just to find some meaning in this life and that if you are a weak person you can cope by producing a much more forceful, aggressive, subconscious alternative personality.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by saadibaba View Post
    Agree, not all Oscar bait movies are bad. I think studios have recognized that the revenue generated by a "serious" movie can significantly go up after an Oscar win or even recognition. Hence, they only release these movies close to the award season so they can get the necessary buzz and attention. Unfortunately, this also breeds movies whose only purpose of existence other than being considered for awards seems perfunctory.

Since you mentioned Spielberg, I have to confess my growing dislike for his work lately. I agree that he is perhaps the most talented visual story teller of our times, knowing exactly where to place the camera and at what angle. However, he seems to be straying from his strong points and instead appear more interested in high minded prestige movies with heavy doses of morality. The last movie by Spielberg which I really enjoyed was Minority Report. Even though I wanted to like Bridge of Spies, the forced earnestness and nobility that was foisted on the protagonist of the movie made the character less believable and the movie an exercise in futility for me.

And lets not even start on how Spielberg is singlehandedly responsible for killing the idea of cinema as a serious art form and ushering us into the era of the "blockbusters" and "weekend box office numbers". Something which was probably bound to happen sooner rather than later but the fact that he so gloriously transformed the entire movie culture on his own is both commendable and reprehensible at the same time.
    True, Speilberg has really deviated of late. He has just been going for by the numbers blockbusters. Can't believe he is the same guy who gave us Schindlers List, AI, Catch Me If You Can, Band Of Brothers, Munich, Lincoln (mostly due to DDL) etc. Bridge of Spies was embarrassing, however understandable as it was just after he had finished producing Transformers 4.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    London, England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you seen the mini series "Storm Of The Century" based on another King novel? If not, I would highly recommend it. Colm Feore does an excellent job as The Wizard/Monster/Demon/Devil in playing the character Andre "Linoge" which is an anagram for Legion indicating that he was probably a demon in the Biblical context.
    Thanks for the suggestion. Might have to check that one out.

"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else" - A.E

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah Dogfight's the only other River Phoenix film I've seen. It's a good little film. He could have achieved a lot like Dean. Yeah Johnny Depp still part owns The Viper Room where Phoenix died. Joaquin had it rough, there's a 911 call he made while his brother was collapsed. Hard to listen to.
    Surprised that Depp still owns part of that. I would have gotten rid of any connection to that incident whatsoever.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    London, England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't know what anyone else thinks about The Usual Suspects but I just didn't get the hype over it. Pretty overrated in my opinion. It just went from one place to the next. I preferred McQuarrie's work on The Way of the Gun a lot more to be honest.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Yorkshire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    239 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There are some relevant themes of millennial anxiety and the postmodern crisis of masculinity. There is also excellent acting from Edward Norton and Meat Loaf, and the colour palette is appropriately dour. But to me it is a good film, rather than a great film.

On the whole I dont feel that it has aged well.

Anti-consumerism has still not gotten off the ground as an idea 20 years later. Capitalism continues to be widely accepted as the least twisted of the many evil macro templates that we have created.

Meanwhile the narration / fourth wall breaking narrative techniques are fast become old hat. Modern audiences want to be made to concentrate, think and interpret, not have the plot read out to them on screen through punchy literary soundbites - I know this because Tyler knows this etc.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Yorkshire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    239 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Don't know what anyone else thinks about The Usual Suspects but I just didn't get the hype over it. Pretty overrated in my opinion. It just went from one place to the next. I preferred McQuarrie's work on The Way of the Gun a lot more to be honest.
    Take away Kevin Spaceys acting, the musical score, and the last 10 minutes of the film, and nothing outstanding is left.

Pulp Fiction, Seven and The Shawshank Redemption are the great mid-nineties films IMO.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Take away Kevin Spacey’s acting, the musical score, and the last 10 minutes of the film, and nothing outstanding is left.

Pulp Fiction, Seven and The Shawshank Redemption are the great mid-nineties films IMO.
    Had forgotten all about Se7en, another gem by Fincher. Great mention.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone rate Jim Jarmusch? I just find him to be really pretentious.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    London, England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take away Kevin Spacey’s acting, the musical score, and the last 10 minutes of the film, and nothing outstanding is left.

Agreed. Especially in regard to The Shawshank Redemption and Pulp Fiction. In my opinion the other great 90s films: GoodFellas, Saving Private Ryan, Boyz n the Hood, Dazed and Confused. Reservoir Dogs is another one that's grown on me over time.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    London, England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone rate Jim Jarmusch? I just find him to be really pretentious.
    I've been meaning to get into his films. Only seen Ghost Dog yet and I thought it was alright. Still need to watch his earlier films and Paterson. I guess his sense of normal, everyday life in a sense appeals to me rather than all this superhero stuff that gets forced just for box office. Dramas and films centred on realism are more my liking.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been meaning to get into his films. Only seen Ghost Dog yet and I thought it was alright. Still need to watch his earlier films and Paterson. I guess his sense of normal, everyday life in a sense appeals to me rather than all this superhero stuff that gets forced just for box office. Dramas and films centred on realism are more my liking.

The One I Love (I especially recommend this if your are looking for a realist sci fi thriller)
    Donnie Darko (A cult classic so I guess you have already seen it)
    Trainspotting (Boyles best)
    Ex Machina by Garland (bit mainstream though)

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    London, England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The One I Love (I especially recommend this if your are looking for a realist sci fi thriller)
    Donnie Darko (A cult classic so I guess you have already seen it)
    Trainspotting (Boyles best)
    Ex Machina by Garland (bit mainstream though)
    I'm not that into Sci-Fi. Seen a few parts of Ex Machina. Trainspotting's a great film though.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Rishwat View Post
    You and saadibaba definitely win the cinephile awards for PP going to have to hold my hands up here. I might look out for Zodiac and give it a try. Normally I give these films a miss, but could be my loss it seems.
    Thanks, I guess I couldn't just let the likes of that Aliasad chap pass off as a movie expert just because he saw some Di Caprio movies and thinks that he looks like him.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not that into Sci-Fi. Seen a few parts of Ex Machina. Trainspotting's a great film though.
    Whats your opinion on Slumdog Millionaire.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    London, England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've only seen it once and that was quite a few years ago but I liked it. Boyle's Shallow Grave is a film I really liked though.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've only seen it once and that was quite a few years ago but I liked it. Boyle's Shallow Grave is a film I really liked though.
    Shallow Grave was a good movie especially the grave digging scene or that dude in the attic. Been a while since I saw the movie.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    London, England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DeadBall, I'm pretty much guessing that you've seen the entire IMDB top 250 list?

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are some relevant themes of millennial anxiety and the postmodern crisis of masculinity. There is also excellent acting from Edward Norton and Meat Loaf, and the colour palette is appropriately dour. But to me it is a good film, rather than a great film.

On the whole I don’t feel that it has aged well.

Anti-consumerism has still not gotten off the ground as an idea 20 years later. Capitalism continues to be widely accepted as the least twisted of the many evil macro templates that we have created.

Meanwhile the narration / fourth wall breaking narrative techniques are fast become old hat. Modern audiences want to be made to concentrate, think and interpret, not have the plot read out to them on screen through punchy literary soundbites - “I know this because Tyler knows this” etc.
    I watched the movie thrice; twice on my jack jones, and once with mate, just couldn't get into it - and I am a fan of Norton (American History X).

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    491 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I have been wondering about celluloid and digital debate and found a convincing answer on youtube(could be my bias) towards film even though digital will be the future, wonder what people think.

In cricket, my superhero is Sachin Tendulkar. He has always been my hero.
    -Virat Kohli

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JaDed View Post
    I have been wondering about celluloid and digital debate and found a convincing answer on youtube(could be my bias) towards film even though digital will be the future, wonder what people think.

Always celluloid. Though reminds be of the Vinyl vs CD debate years ago.

Hateful 8 looked amazing on 70mm- my favourite QT movie.

Plus celluloid has infinite resolution, so can be converted to 4K/8K easily.

Check out the Jaws restoration documentary. 1 frame took 8 minutes to convert to BR!

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    491 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Always celluloid. Though reminds be of the Vinyl vs CD debate years ago.

Hateful 8 looked amazing on 70mm- my favourite QT movie.

Plus celluloid has infinite resolution, so can be converted to 4K/8K easily.

Check out the Jaws restoration documentary. 1 frame took 8 minutes to convert to BR!
    Agree with 70 mm, its also one of the reasons for why Sholay in India(western kind and 70mm) was a huge success w.r.t cinema experience in few theaters.

But I do believe 35 mm cinemascope is equivalent or better than 70 mm.

Thanks for the documentary,just saw ,the amount of work in restoration of a movie from original negatives,remarkable ,the sound restoration was something I didn't realize, its kind of sad people always discuss acting and directing at best but never the technical aspects of a film,luckily Hollywood isn't biased and no wonder they developed so well.

-Virat Kohli

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JaDed View Post
    Agree with 70 mm, its also one of the reasons for why Sholay in India(western kind and 70mm) was a huge success w.r.t cinema experience in few theaters.

But I do believe 35 mm cinemascope is equivalent or better than 70 mm.

Thanks for the documentary,just saw ,the amount of work in restoration of a movie from original negatives,remarkable ,the sound restoration was something I didn't realize, its kind of sad people always discuss acting and directing at best but never the technical aspects of a film,luckily Hollywood isn't biased and no wonder they developed so well.
    Now you are talking! I love Westerns! (Hence why I love Hateful 8). I recently watched The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, fully restored in HD. AMAZING film. I remember growing up when my dad was watching the movie, I was like, dad, theres no action or dialogue he told me son, you will appreciate the movie when you are older. Same goes for Sholay. No other Bollywood movie that I have seen or heard of comes close to this master piece. Just goes to prove that a movie doesnt need CGI & action et al to be great. The tension is in the viewing if you know what I mean!

I watch movies at home on a 75 4K with 7.1 surround setup, and John Williams 7.1 version of the Jaws theme is a feeling to behold! Along with the Good, bad and ugly sound track! Just waiting for the 4K release!

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Overrated IMO. Good but not great.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Now you are talking! I love Westerns! (Hence why I love Hateful 8). I recently watched The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, fully restored in HD. AMAZING film. I remember growing up when my dad was watching the movie, I was like, dad, there’s no action or dialogue – he told me – son, you will appreciate the movie when you are older. Same goes for Sholay. No other Bollywood movie that I have seen or heard of comes close to this master piece. Just goes to prove that a movie doesn’t need CGI & action et al to be great. The tension is in the viewing if you know what I mean!

I watch movies at home on a 75” 4K with 7.1 surround setup, and John Williams 7.1 version of the Jaws theme is a feeling to behold! Along with the Good, bad and ugly sound track! Just waiting for the 4K release!
    There is a 4K release of Jaws??

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by in_cutter View Post
    There is a 4K release of Jaws??
    Not yet. Waiting for 4K of Jaws and a few other films.

I think the wait will be long though because max resolution before human eyes cannot distinguish is 8K.

So I am guessing 8K restoration will be out next.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DeadBall, I'm pretty much guessing that you've seen the entire IMDB top 250 list?
    Pretty much, haven't got around to watching a few due to one reason or another.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Yorkshire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    239 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just watched Nocturnal Animals. Very good indeed. Amy Adams and Jake Gyllenhaal on typically solid form, and Michael Shannon mindblowingly good - the guy needs some more awards!!

Now here is a sophisticated, richly coloured and metafictional film that is also reasonably easy to understand! (the likes of The Lobster and Enemy have turned me off slightly for the latter rule not being adhered to).

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just watched Nocturnal Animals. Very good indeed. Amy Adams and Jake Gyllenhaal on typically solid form, and Michael Shannon mindblowingly good - the guy needs some more awards!!

Now here is a sophisticated, richly coloured and metafictional film that is also reasonably easy to understand! (the likes of The Lobster and Enemy have turned me off slightly for the latter rule not being adhered to).
    Truly an underrated actor. If you want to enjoy some more Shannon goodness I recommend you watch Revolutionary Road (won an Oscar nomination). 99 Homes (One of the best movies about the housing bubble burst, morally), The Iceman (Stone Cold killer, based on a true story) and Take Shelter (One of the best portrayals of a man descending into insanity).

If you are a TV fan don't forego Boardwalk Empire.

P.S . If you liked Nocturnal Animals, you should Changeling a go.
    Last edited by DeadBall; 10th March 2018 at 19:26.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    London, England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Truly an underrated actor. If you want to enjoy some more Shannon goodness I recommend you watch Revolutionary Road (won an Oscar nomination). 99 Homes (One of the best movies about the housing bubble burst, morally), The Iceman (Stone Cold killer, based on a true story) and Take Shelter (One of the best portrayals of a man descending into insanity).

Shannon was good in Boardwalk Empire. But I think Stephen Graham blew him out of the water. Such an underrated actor. From Snatch to Public Enemies and This Is England.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    London, England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shannon was good in Boardwalk Empire. But I think Stephen Graham blew him out of the water. Such an underrated actor. From Snatch to Public Enemies and This Is England.
    All the English actors were great in it but Bobby Cannavale as Gyp stole season 3. After the third season I thought the show went off from being as good as it was before.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    491 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Now you are talking! I love Westerns! (Hence why I love Hateful 8). I recently watched The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, fully restored in HD. AMAZING film. I remember growing up when my dad was watching the movie, I was like, dad, there’s no action or dialogue – he told me – son, you will appreciate the movie when you are older. Same goes for Sholay. No other Bollywood movie that I have seen or heard of comes close to this master piece. Just goes to prove that a movie doesn’t need CGI & action et al to be great. The tension is in the viewing if you know what I mean!

I watch movies at home on a 75” 4K with 7.1 surround setup, and John Williams 7.1 version of the Jaws theme is a feeling to behold! Along with the Good, bad and ugly sound track! Just waiting for the 4K release!
    Well said, I felt the same while watching Good Bad and the Ugly, for years my uncles had praised Clint Eastwood and I didn't get why,started appreciating him only around high school.

-Virat Kohli

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    220 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    This year best films oscar nomination had two overrated films nominated others were all enjoyable.

Lady Bird- coming of age movies are either relatable or you don't like it. It was simply not upto my expectation The best moments of the film was between Lady Bird and Julie.

3 B was meh. Never understood the hype of this film.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Yorkshire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    239 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Watched 99 Homes on your recommendation. Thought it was excellent. I now rate Andrew Garfield as an actor, and of course I now rate Mr Shannon even more highly as an actor!

I loved the bookended structure - start with an act of violence, end with an act of violence, and lots of steps leading up to violence in between. Points towards a tragically cyclical system destined to repeat itself over and over.

I think there are deliberately some questions left unanswered from the opening take (was it a suicide or a self-defence killing? - wife disagrees, she went for suicide all the way). I found the ending surprisingly redemptive, and also somewhat ambiguous with the Thank you remark.

Quality film.
    Last edited by James; 11th March 2018 at 23:23.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watched 99 Homes on your recommendation. Thought it was excellent. I now rate Andrew Garfield as an actor, and of course I now rate Mr Shannon even more highly as an actor!

I loved the bookended structure - start with an act of violence, end with an act of violence, and lots of steps leading up to violence in between. Points towards a tragically cyclical system destined to repeat itself over and over.

I think there are deliberately some questions left unanswered from the opening take (was it a suicide or a self-defence killing? - wife disagrees, she went for suicide all the way). I found the ending surprisingly redemptive, and also somewhat ambiguous with the “Thank you” remark.

Quality film.
    Glad you liked it. If you want to see Garfields chops as a actor, I suggest you watch Boy A, the movie (inspired by true events) where he plays a recently released adolescent charged with murder as a child. I would also recommend Breath (2017) where he plays Cavendish who was struck down by Polio at the age of 28 and was given a few months to live but he turned it all around after some self pity along with the help of an inventor friend by helping revolutionize how polio patients in the UK were treated (both as human beings and medically.

On a totally different note if you want to see a hilarious but dark expose on the system (The British bureaucratic system in this case) I cannot recommend I, Daniel Blake (2016) enough. One of the most heart wrenching plights of a common honest man caught up in the system I have ever seen.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I recently watched A Fistful of Dollars again and it's aged badly. To be fair, The Good the Bad and the Ugly was a superior film so I think that will fare better.

Jaws in 4k? I loved that movie, but can't really imagine seeing that plastic shark up close in 4k. Some effects don't really stand up to digital remastering.

I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to be a movie fanatic till a few years back but haven't watched many films for the last five years or so. Perhaps life caught up with me eventually. More so the knowledge of people like @DeadBall here makes me feel like a dwarf in comparison. Still it's a great thread and I would like to be a part of it, and give my little contribution to it.

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To me the analysis about Al Pacino and De Niro is spot on. Both of them are known to be the torchbearers of method acting school but I feel they have never been able to justify their stature in any of their later roles. Al Pacino's eventual Oscar worthy acting in Scent of a woman contains the same vocal performance - where he suddenly increases his pitch to the point of yelling - that he had been doing for the last 2 decades. And De Niro, though a bigger actor than Al Pacino, still has the same lip twirling speaking style in every movie since the 70s. People would say that his range is greater; that he has been doing comedic work apart from the gangster work he is famous for, but to be truthful if we played a clip of Meet the Parents right after a clip of Casino, we wouldn't find much difference in the personalities of characters De Niro's portraying.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Yorkshire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    239 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LordEddardStark View Post
    To me the analysis about Al Pacino and De Niro is spot on. Both of them are known to be the torchbearers of method acting school but I feel they have never been able to justify their stature in any of their later roles. Al Pacino's eventual Oscar worthy acting in Scent of a woman contains the same vocal performance - where he suddenly increases his pitch to the point of yelling - that he had been doing for the last 2 decades. And De Niro, though a bigger actor than Al Pacino, still has the same lip twirling speaking style in every movie since the 70s. People would say that his range is greater; that he has been doing comedic work apart from the gangster work he is famous for, but to be truthful if we played a clip of Meet the Parents right after a clip of Casino, we wouldn't find much difference in the personalities of characters De Niro's portraying.
    A lot of these old rich lazy actors just play themselves now. They just have to turn up in order to be revered and get a big payday. Al Pacino, Robert De Niro, Sir Anthony Hopkins, Sir Michael Caine, et al, theyre all at it. (Well Caine always did play himself to be fair. Now hes Christopher Nolans best mate he has become even more pedestrian.)

It wasnt always like that, for example if you watch Sir Laurence Olivier towards the end of his life, in films like Marathon Man and The Boys From Brazil, he still puts in a top-class and understated performance that is markedly different to anything else that he did before.

No denying that De Niro in particular is a great of the industry though. I watched Taxi Driver the other week and was completely magnetised by his acting from start to finish, he captures the isolation and mental nosediving of his character brilliantly. Given the things that still happen in America today - with loners getting lonelier, having crazy gun fantasies and eventually shooting the place up - the film as a whole has aged remarkably well for a low-budget 1970s effort.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LordEddardStark View Post
    Hit the nail on the head. I think there is a misconception that they are method actors like DDL or Gary Oldman who totally get immersed in their roles unlike Pacino and De Niro started of well but now no matter what they do you KNOW that it is them you are seeing on screen. It#s like they have become a caricature of themselves. Pacino I never really have rated much as he just shouts louder and louder. Even in the movie Awakenings where De Niro plays a good enough role as a catatonic person you KNOW it is him on screen.

They are more known for their names (which attracts the crowd) and are just people that act in movies, like Cruise, Depp etc instead of actual thespians like Jeremy Irons, Geofferey Hurt. PSH etc.
    Last edited by DeadBall; 13th March 2018 at 12:35.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of these old rich lazy actors just play themselves now. They just have to turn up in order to be revered and get a big payday. Al Pacino, Robert De Niro, Sir Anthony Hopkins, Sir Michael Caine, et al, they’re all at it. (Well Caine always did play himself to be fair. Now he’s Christopher Nolan’s best mate he has become even more pedestrian.)

It wasn’t always like that, for example if you watch Sir Laurence Olivier towards the end of his life, in films like Marathon Man and The Boys From Brazil, he still puts in a top-class and understated performance that is markedly different to anything else that he did before.

No denying that De Niro in particular is a great of the industry though. I watched Taxi Driver the other week and was completely magnetised by his acting from start to finish, he captures the isolation and mental nosediving of his character brilliantly. Given the things that still happen in America today - with loners getting lonelier, having crazy gun fantasies and eventually shooting the place up - the film as a whole has aged remarkably well for a low-budget 1970s effort.
    Pacino has done some good work in miniseries and made for TV movies of late. Angels in America and You don't know Jack are worth checking out. DeNiro has been a disappointment thought. I like everything Caine does even if he is doing the same role over and over agin. He is just so...dare I say it....British, in all its shortfalls and glory.

“I am not young enough to know everything.”

― Oscar Wilde

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Saudi Arabia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would recommend a dutch thriller called spoorlos if you guys are fan of european thrillers/suspense movies.. It is one of the best suspense movies i have seen with a very unconventional plot.

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hit the nail on the head. I think there is a misconception that they are method actors like DDL or Gary Oldman who totally get immersed in their roles unlike Pacino and De Niro started of well but now no matter what they do you KNOW that it is them you are seeing on screen. It#s like they have become a caricature of themselves. Pacino I never really have rated much as he just shouts louder and louder. Even in the movie Awakenings where De Niro plays a good enough role as a catatonic person you KNOW it is him on screen.

They are more known for their names (which attracts the crowd) and are just people that act in movies, like Cruise, Depp etc instead of actual thespians like Jeremy Irons, Geofferey Hurt. PSH etc.
    I believe the method acting that was championed by people like Brando and Clift has grown to be used more as a publicity stunt than it's actual usage on sets over the years. In present day, the most obvious example of this would be actors like Jared Leto and Shia LaBeouf who went to outrageous limits to remain in their characters off set but even other than them it has become rather fashionable to ask actors during their promotional compaigns about the preparation they had carried out for their character and they responding with their excessively weird techniques, which provide good headline material for film's promotion. Method acting, to me, does not come that natural to everyone. People like Daniel Day Lewis can conform to a strict persona in everyday and night of his life because he is naturally a curious and devoted professional. I heard he actually learned to make shoes during one of his films, not because it was mandatory for his role but because it intrigued him. The same cannot be said about most of the American actors espousing method acting as their preferred acting technique.

I don't know why but the British still make the best actors despite their aversion to method acting all these years. Hollywood or Academy though still prefer to recognize overrated method actors more than the natural ones. This bias is quite evident in the Oscars awarded in acting categories as well.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TQ89 View Post
    I would recommend a dutch thriller called spoorlos if you guys are fan of european thrillers/suspense movies.. It is one of the best suspense movies i have seen with a very unconventional plot.
    Yeah I have seen both the original dutch movie and the remake starring Bridges and Sutherland which they totally messed up. The original is not about who abducted Saskia as we are told who did it during the start but for Rex and Raymod to me meet and finding out what really happened to her. When they do finally meet towards the end, the dialogue and ending is one of the most chilling I have ever seen.

Debut
    Aug 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I have seen both the original dutch movie and the remake starring Bridges and Sutherland which they totally messed up. The original is not about who abducted Saskia as we are told who did it during the start but for Rex and Raymod to me meet and finding out what really happened to her. When they do finally meet towards the end, the dialogue and ending is one of the most chilling I have ever seen.
    I watched the movie in the morning today after reading about the recommendation and also because I'm a fan of European Movies. Was expecting it to be outstanding but found it below average, the movie was very slow and had very few twists and plots in it. The couple are on a journey and the GF suddenly disappeares, the guy keeps getting letters from the Kidnapper and receives the same fate in the end so not many events happening in the movie.

Also, it didn't make sense for Rex to drink the spiked coffee offered from a Guy who had previously kidnapped his gf, surely don't expect anyone to be so trustworthy of a shady guy in real world hence the plot in the end was too unrealistic. Rex could have the guy reported to the Police or tortured him to make a confession but he goes on to follow whatever he demands. The two victims were buried near his new house, wouldn't have taken much for the Police to gather the evidence. Plus, Raymond was no smart Guy he regularly panicked while baiting his victims and mostly nervous.

Most importantly didn't get the Motive for the killings, the Killer didn't look disturbed and had a happy family and with no history of abuse which could explain his psychopathic behaviour.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafa View Post
    I watched the movie in the morning today after reading about the recommendation and also because I'm a fan of European Movies. Was expecting it to be outstanding but found it below average, the movie was very slow and had very few twists and plots in it. The couple are on a journey and the GF suddenly disappeares, the guy keeps getting letters from the Kidnapper and receives the same fate in the end so not many events happening in the movie.

Also, it didn't make sense for Rex to drink the spiked coffee offered from a Guy who had previously kidnapped his gf, surely don't expect anyone to be so trustworthy of a shady guy in real world hence the plot in the end was too unrealistic. Rex could have the guy reported to the Police or tortured him to make a confession but he goes on to follow whatever he demands. The two victims were buried near his new house, wouldn't have taken much for the Police to gather the evidence. Plus, Raymond was no smart Guy he regularly panicked while baiting his victims and mostly nervous.

Most importantly didn't get the Motive for the killings, the Killer didn't look disturbed and had a happy family and with no history of abuse which could explain his psychopathic behaviour.
    Psychopathic behaviour has nothing to do with abuse. People are born psychopaths and have no empathy for others. They go through pretending to have families but that's just to keep up appearances and they usually wouldn't blink twice to even sacrifice them if need be. He just wanted to see what boundaries he could push and how far.

My take on it is that Rex opts to be drugged so that he could find out what happened to Saskia. I think he did know that she was dead and went along to just to see how she ended up as he didn't want to live without her either way.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Saudi Arabia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This sums up my feeling about the movie and was tampered with in the remake. It was so depressing to see that ending after long duration of intense suspense. I didn't feel like eating that day when i watched it back in 2009.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Saudi Arabia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol bro you didn't get the movie at all. The not having any motive or emotional history of the killer was what made the movie special & his dialogues with rex were intriguing as anything i have seen. Raymond didn't have any of the traits of typical villain except that he was one cold blooded psycho who could meet you in the hallway or in the super market with a smile, was likeable & you could trust him with your dog or your apartment's keys. The guy who played raymond did so with such perfection as there was no cues given throughout the movie. Even when he is talking with rex and gives him the coffee, you dont se him staring like crazy or flinching or worried. He was behaving quite normally.

Mostly when actors play a baddie, they give a slight cue to the audience as to when they will go berserk or do something crazy like a slight flinch, crazy stare, crazy blinking, deep breathing etc etc. Not this actor though, he kept it normal and just had that half-happy,half-empty stare during the whole movie.

As for rex drinking the stuff, I am assuming you got bored during the first half of movie and fast forward lot of scens of rex thinking the movie was slow as after kidnapping scene rex is full of agony throughout the whole movie and missing his wife. If you read roger ebert review, which got me to watch this movie, you will see he mentions it as an unconventional movie as the audience knows more about what happened in the beginning than rex does. All rex had to do was leave the car and his whole life changed.

His character captures perfectly what it feels when a loved one is taken from you and you have no clue if they are alive or dead, will they come back or not. You might know that your loved one might not be alive but deep down your subconscious gives you a certain hope that they are still out there. Rex couldn't move on after such a tragedy. He had to find what happened to her at all cost. This is what the psychopath exploits in such a brutal way in the second half of the film. Rex is forever in two minds throughout the film as anybody suffering in his shoes would be. The movie wasn't about rex being naive, it was how evil could a guy like raymond be and that was the most chilling part of movie.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

P.S - Movies like any other art form are subjective. You can love it or hate it but whats great is that it has probably broadened your horizons a bit more and you can discuss the various details here which (in my opinion) is usually more fun than watching said movie.
    Last edited by DeadBall; 16th March 2018 at 00:07.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had to catch up on my watchlist and went for a couple of history themed movies tonight.

Stalin is Dead - A satriical yet hilarious account of the power struggle after Stalins death and Kruschevs assencion to power. The movie was wonderfully delightful throughout with man laugh out moments albeit witty ones. The whole cast was perfectly cast and I thank god that everyone stuck with their original accents and did not try to go Russian. It really drifted away fom its jolly tone in the last 10 minutes and things got quite serious but I think it worked over all. Highly recommended.

The Darkest Hours. An underwhelming paint by the numbers, Oscar bait sadly, Oldmans acting would exceptional though right up there with my personal favourites in Finney, The Gathering Storm and even Lithgow (although he was too tall) in The Crown.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do you guys feel about Nicolas Winding Refn, director of Drive and The Neon Demon. I was blown away by both these movies. An interesting successor to David Lynch imo. His use of colors and imagery to create mood and atmosphere is fascinating.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do you guys feel about Nicolas Winding Refn, director of Drive and The Neon Demon. I was blown away by both these movies. An interesting successor to David Lynch imo. His use of colors and imagery to create mood and atmosphere is fascinating.
    Refn is a master of visual artistry, I think it is due to the fact that he color blind that's why his signature is to singular colour palette soaked with super saturated colours. Although a visual masterpiece I did not really like The Neon Demon and Only God forgives as they were all style without substance.

Drive however was a perfect combination of both, It uses very subtle changes of color and atmosphere without us even realizing, like the hue is redder in danger scenes, or bluer in calm scenes and over all the use of blue and orange without overdoing it. I watched it a second time just to concentrate on the cinematography and it was even better.

Another movie that uses excellent use of colors and imagery to convey the "mood" of the movie without using much dialog is Nightcrawler by Dan Gilroy with a similar silent but bone chilling performance by Jake Gyllenhall.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Refn is a master of visual artistry, I think it is due to the fact that he color blind that's why his signature is to singular colour palette soaked with super saturated colours. Although a visual masterpiece I did not really like The Neon Demon and Only God forgives as they were all style without substance.

Drive however was a perfect combination of both, It uses very subtle changes of color and atmosphere without us even realizing, like the hue is redder in danger scenes, or bluer in calm scenes and over all the use of blue and orange without overdoing it. I watched it a second time just to concentrate on the cinematography and it was even better.

Another movie that uses excellent use of colors and imagery to convey the "mood" of the movie without using much dialog is Nightcrawler by Dan Gilroy with a similar silent but bone chilling performance by Jake Gyllenhall.
    Agree that Drive was better than The Neon Demon overall but I found it dragging at times, a feeling I did not get while watching Neon despite its narrative flaws and graphic novel like story line. The audacity of its ambition combined with the dazzling gore and violence of the third act made it a more satisfying experience for me.

I very much like the Nightcrawler as well. Gylenhall is slowly becoming the DeNiro of our generation.

― Oscar Wilde

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Recently watched "Memories of Murder". Bong Joon-Ho's second movie and arguably one of my favorite Korean movies of all times along with Joon-Ho's "The Host" and "Old Boy". How this director is able to balance the absurd and comedic elements of the movie which has an overall dark and horrific set up is beyond brilliant. His control is dazzling. A very difficult thing to pull of and he does it with masterful confidence. A must watch!

― Oscar Wilde

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Recently watched "Memories of Murder". Bong Joon-Ho's second movie and arguably one of my favorite Korean movies of all times along with Joon-Ho's "The Host" and "Old Boy". How this director is able to balance the absurd and comedic elements of the movie which has an overall dark and horrific set up is beyond brilliant. His control is dazzling. A very difficult thing to pull of and he does it with masterful confidence. A must watch!
    Great movie. Korean cinema in my opinion is second only to Hollywood although they do prefer quality over quantity.

Btw I see that you mentioned Old Boy, have you seen the whole Vengeance trilogy?

Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance (2002)
    Oldboy (2003)
    Lady Vengeance (2005)

Other recommendations for Koream movies I would give are

The Chaser (Great cat an mouse movie)
    The Man from Nowhere (Best Korean action revenge movie ever)
    I Saw the Devil (Similar to The Chaser but much more complex and gorier)
    A Bittersweet Life (One of the best Korean mob movies)
    The Good, the Bad, the Weird (Really fun take on the Spaghetti Western genre)
    Confession of Murder (A movie about a serial killer coming back to claim the murders exactly 15 years after the statute of limitation ends on the last case.) P.S - Watch the Korean original (2012) and not the Japanese remake.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Btw has anyone watched Whiplash? One of the more honest and raw movies about achieving greatness. However what made the movie is JK Simmons, he was terrifying as the unpleasable mentor who demanded perfection in every minute detail and had my heartbeat go up several notches imagining what he would do next to bully/inspire/torture the students every time he was on screen. Easily in my top 10 movies of the past 5 years.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Saudi Arabia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Btw has anyone watched Whiplash? One of the more honest and raw movies about achieving greatness. However what made the movie is JK Simmons, he was terrifying as the unpleasable mentor who demanded perfection in every minute detail and had my heartbeat go up several notches imagining what he would do next to bully/inspire/torture the students every time he was on screen. Easily in my top 10 movies of the past 5 years.
    My hands were sweating during the climax as i was clenching them tight unintentionally. The final 15 minutes are unlike anything i have seen in a movie.

I don't think anybody has captured tension like the director did. I was just waiting for miles tellers hands to give out due to the strain he was putting on himself. Very intense and raw experience

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Yorkshire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    239 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Whiplash is an utterly brilliant film. One of the best that Ive seen.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Saudi Arabia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The whole "Not my tempo" scene by JK simmons was epic

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watched Maudie and am really happy that there are still movies out there that have no hype but turn out be under rated gems. Although a bit depressing at times but mostly quirky and hilarious one can still come out of it smiling from ear to ear. Hawkins (Better here than The Shape Of Water) and Hawke have done a tremendous job and the fact that it is based on the true story of Canadian primitive painter Maud Lewis makes it even better. Very highly recommended.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great movie. Korean cinema in my opinion is second only to Hollywood although they do prefer quality over quantity.

Btw I see that you mentioned Old Boy, have you seen the whole Vengeance trilogy?

Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance (2002)
    Oldboy (2003)
    Lady Vengeance (2005)

Other recommendations for Koream movies I would give are

The Chaser (Great cat an mouse movie)
    The Man from Nowhere (Best Korean action revenge movie ever)
    I Saw the Devil (Similar to The Chaser but much more complex and gorier)
    A Bittersweet Life (One of the best Korean mob movies)
    The Good, the Bad, the Weird (Really fun take on the Spaghetti Western genre)
    Confession of Murder (A movie about a serial killer coming back to claim the murders exactly 15 years after the statute of limitation ends on the last case.) P.S - Watch the Korean original (2012) and not the Japanese remake.
    Ive seen the Vengeance trilogy, all are good but Old boy stands out. Ive also seen Park Chan-Wooks Thirst, a new take on the Vampire genre and recently The Hand Maiden, a Victorian drama with the usual devious inventiveness as expected from him.

Bong Joon-Hos Mother should also be mentioned here. Similar is style as Memories of Murder. Okja was good too thought the last third was a bit of a let down. How he weaves comedy and absurdity with serious horrific subject matters like rape and murder is nothing short of genius.

An honorable mention to two Korean horror movies I saw last year that blew my mind, The Wailing and more commercial but also very entertaining Train to Busan.

Korean cinema in my opinion is far more creative and original than anything Hollywood has produced lately minus a few stand outs by PTA, Fincher and QT.

― Oscar Wilde

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Btw do any of you guys wait for the perfect ambiance and atmosphere to watch a movie to do it justice? Still waiting for the perfect setting to watch "Phantom Thread" as this would have been DDLs swan song. Am to busy to really "get into it" atm and do the film justice.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Btw do any of you guys wait for the perfect ambiance and atmosphere to watch a movie to do it justice? Still waiting for the perfect setting to watch "Phantom Thread" as this would have been DDLs swan song. Am to busy to really "get into it" atm and do the film justice.

How and where you watch the movie is almost as important as the movie itself. Also you have to be in the right mood. I remember waiting for 3-4 weeks as the Netflix DVD envelope sat silently atop my TV console before I could get in the right mood to watch 21 grams. Any different mindset would have ruined the movie for me.

I saw Jonathan Glazers Birth on a rainy afternoon in a small art theatre with only one other person in the audience and it left an enduring mark on me. I dont think that would have happened if I would have seen that movie on the small screen in the dingy little apartment I was living in at that time.

― Oscar Wilde

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just saw that Mukkabaaz was released and am going to watch it tonight as I am a huge Anurag Kashyap fan. Gangs Of Wasseypur , Shahid, Ugly, Lunchbox, Udta Punjab are my favourites. Udaan, Trapped and Raghuman Raghav 2.0 (mostly due Nawazuddin) were OK. Bombay Velvet was a brainfreeze. Hopefully Mukkabaaz lives up to the hype as have read really good reviews about it.

Not to self - Should probably make a Bollywood cinephile thread too.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Just the normal stuff most movie enthusiasts probably already do, turn the lights off the sound up. The more you can spend on the sound system the more you get out of it in my opinion. It really does change the atmosphere and recreate the cinematic experience. Even the clunk of a door shutting comes alive.

Hearing good things about A Quiet Place which is releasing in the UK. It's a horror movie with a difference, sounds very unnerving. Meant to be one of the scariest films out for a long time, don't know if anyone's seen it yet.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The Disaster Artist

Heartfelt homage about the making of The Room. James Franco is superb as the lead role.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Phantom Thread

PTA's return to the odd, perverse and unique. A tribute to pure cinema. Made with an un-earnestness, fearless and slightly lunatic visionary quality that is so rare nowadays. A deeply personal movie. An intimate insight into the vast vision of his world and humanity.

PTA has always been an auteur but his movies always seemed to have a tribute like quality to them, except maybe Punch Drunk Love. Whether its Robert Altman in Boogie Nights and Magnolia or John Ford in There will be Blood, he was constantly reinventing the stories of his idols with his own acid vision. However, it seemed that the fun and pop exuberance of Boogie Nights and Punch Drunk Love have evaporated when he decided to sit at the adult's table by making grandiose, epic and massive scale movies like There will be Blood and The Master, both great movies but too daunting and self important.

It was a surprise to watch Phantom Thread because of it being so funny, loose and modest. Also, finally seeing DDL play someone remotely human, a control freak fashion designer, after his daunting roles in Lincoln and Gangs of New York, he is a total delight. He is finally not finally swallowing the movie up with his unmatched virtuosity.

The movie is about being an artist and his ruthless process. His seductiveness, the manipulations, his inspirations and depression. Life as a solitary confinement in order to create. And what happens when love enters the space. To say it mildly, its quite a fight.

In short it is a beautiful movie. The costumes, the gorgeous score, the precision and attention to details. It was a totally immersive experience.

― Oscar Wilde

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Phantom Thread

PTA's return to the odd, perverse and unique. A tribute to pure cinema. Made with an un-earnestness, fearless and slightly lunatic visionary quality that is so rare nowadays. A deeply personal movie. An intimate insight into the vast vision of his world and humanity.

PTA has always been an auteur but his movies always seemed to have a tribute like quality to them, except maybe Punch Drunk Love. Whether its Robert Altman in Boogie Nights and Magnolia or John Ford in There will be Blood, he was constantly reinventing the stories of his idols with his own acid vision. However, it seemed that the fun and pop exuberance of Boogie Nights and Punch Drunk Love have evaporated when he decided to sit at the adult's table by making grandiose, epic and massive scale movies like There will be Blood and The Master, both great movies but too daunting and self important.

It was a surprise to watch Phantom Thread because of it being so funny, loose and modest. Also, finally seeing DDL play someone remotely human, a control freak fashion designer, after his daunting roles in Lincoln and Gangs of New York, he is a total delight. He is finally not finally swallowing the movie up with his unmatched virtuosity.

The movie is about being an artist and his ruthless process. His seductiveness, the manipulations, his inspirations and depression. Life as a solitary confinement in order to create. And what happens when love enters the space. To say it mildly, its quite a fight.

In short it is a beautiful movie. The costumes, the gorgeous score, the precision and attention to details. It was a totally immersive experience.
    Great review. Have been trying to get in the right mood to watch this movie especially since it's DDLs last (maybe that's the reason I'm delaying it), for the past couple of weeks but have been unable to do so. Hopefully this weekend.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Yorkshire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    239 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Am excited about my own viewing, but no way will this be DDLs final appearance. He is an eccentric genius type who is well known for these publicity stunts, like when he retired in the late 90s, went MIA somewhere in Europe to practice carpentry, and then dramatically reappeared 5 years later to play Bill The Butcher.

This is all a part of his brand and unique selling point - selective role-picking, being challenging to work with, extreme method acting, an enigmatic persona - and its why he keeps on collecting Oscars. Give it another 5-10 years and he will be tempted back for another film.

No disrespect meant - he is a legend of the industry and one of the best actors that the UK has ever produced. I also am looking forward to seeing Phantom Thread. But he could not be himself without having that drama queen element to him.
    Last edited by James; 24th April 2018 at 14:20.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Am excited about my own viewing, but no way will this be DDL’s final appearance. He is an eccentric genius type who is well known for these publicity stunts, like when he “retired” in the late 90s, went MIA somewhere in Europe to practice carpentry, and then dramatically reappeared 5 years later to play Bill The Butcher.

This is all a part of his brand and unique selling point - selective role-picking, being challenging to work with, extreme method acting, an enigmatic persona - and it’s why he keeps on collecting Oscars. Give it another 5-10 years and he will be tempted back for another film.

No disrespect meant - he is a legend of the industry and one of the best actors that the UK has ever produced. I also am looking forward to seeing Phantom Thread. But he could not be himself without having that drama queen element to him.
    He went to Florence to intern as a cobbler under master Italian shoemaker Bremer. It took Scorsese a few months to convince him to come back to play the part of The Butcher in GONY.

However I agree that he could make yet another comeback but it will not be for another few years at least.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Tried watching Zodiac which was recommended here, found it quite hard work after a promising start. I have decided I am not a true cinephile, probably more of a part time film snob. That means while I can look down on the yahoos who watch Transformers or Fast And Furious XXII, a lot of these films are probably too high brow for me.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Rishwat View Post
    Tried watching Zodiac which was recommended here, found it quite hard work after a promising start. I have decided I am not a true cinephile, probably more of a part time film snob. That means while I can look down on the yahoos who watch Transformers or Fast And Furious XXII, a lot of these films are probably too high brow for me.
    Dont give up on being a cinephile so easily. Keep watching, keep exploring, a lot of disagreements regarding asthetics etc. exist even among a lot of true cinephiles.

― Oscar Wilde

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any star wars fans here?

Enjoyed recent Last Jedi movie, it was long, but gripping and many twist and turn with random humor. Action was great as usual.

Loved all characters.

3WCs, #1 Test #1 ODI team, Fab 9: Sachin, Dravid, Saurav, Kumble, VVS, Viru, Zak, MSD, Yuvi

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After getting married and having an infant is not a good combo of watching movies. lol

But many suggestions here, will binge watch wife and kid go to India.

3WCs, #1 Test #1 ODI team, Fab 9: Sachin, Dravid, Saurav, Kumble, VVS, Viru, Zak, MSD, Yuvi

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketworm View Post
    After getting married and having an infant is not a good combo of watching movies. lol

But many suggestions here, will binge watch wife and kid go to India.
    I dont recommend binge watching movies. Might work for TV serials but not for movies. You need to let a good movie simmer inside of you, make it stay with you, haunt you...I ideally like at least 24-48 hours time between each movie, especially good movies like the ones mentioned in this thread.

― Oscar Wilde

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He went to Florence to intern as a cobbler under master Italian shoemaker Bremer. It took Scorsese a few months to convince him to come back to play the part of The Butcher in GONY.

However I agree that he could make yet another comeback but it will not be for another few years at least.
    I also believe DDL will make a comeback, maybe 10 years from now but he will. Its hard to leave ones craft. Although I do feel that he seriously believes in quitting and is not doing it for publicity reasons or because of vanity.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Revisited Cronenbergs A History of Violence again. The movie has such a Twin Peaks quality to it. Small town set up, cheesy 80s score and dialogue, fimiliar set up yet odd and creepy like hell.

The whole movie in my opinion boils down to the two intimate scenes at each end of the movie. The arc of character by the protagonist can be easily understood by just watching those two scenes.

The first scene is innocent, playful and make believe, an act, embodying the character being played or internalized by the hero. The later scene is aggressive, violent, dominating and animalistic, its real, bringing out the heros true nature. Its also happens in one of most unusual places, by design.

A true classic. Dont look for naturalism here. Its fictional by design. Based on a graphic novel, its all the more obvious.