Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by saadibaba View Post
    Don’t give up on being a cinephile so easily. Keep watching, keep exploring, a lot of disagreements regarding asthetics etc. exist even among a lot of true cinephiles.
    You are probably right, but you need to be switched on for these films, they aren't for everyone. I suppose you could compare it with the TV series True Detective, very much a slow burner, can imagine a lot of people wouldn't like it, but it had a lot of depth for someone who appreciates that sort of thing. Could be the same with a lot of the films talked about here.

I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isle of Dogs

Wes Andersons second foray into stop motion animation. I love Fantastic Mr.Fox and before the Grand Budapest Hotel it was my favorite Wes Anderson movie.

Its a dystopian tale set in futuristic Japan which is ruled by a 1984 style totalitarian regime. A mayor named Kobayashi has banished all the dogs of the country to a trash island. One boy however bravely makes his way to the island to find his lost dog and in turn ends up meeting a cast of other dogs voiced by some great character actors and Anderson usuals.

Without going much into the plot, a fight ensues between those who want to keep the dogs away and those who want dogs to come back to mainland Japan. In the process, we witness Andersons mastery and vision, his nerdy diligence interspersed with some extremely tender and touching scenes between the boy and his dog. Truly a mans best friend.

The decision to not put subtitles for the Japanese speaking characters is an interesting one but I tend to favor Andersons approach. We are watching the movie from a dogs perspective and since dogs have no clue what humans say to them why should we be privy to that. Perhaps the best line of the movie is delivered when a dog on the island asks his fellow dogs after the boy said something very passionately in Japenese I wish somebody spoke his language.

As much as I admire the quirky realism of Anderson, his craftsmanship and the attention to detail, part of a meticulous process Anderson and his team went though in making this feature, the movie stopped short of making a permanent impression on me.

All in all, recommend it to all Andersons fans, anime fans and cinephiles. This movie is a piece of art one cannot help but admire even if not enjoy as much as his last effort.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive posted the above review in The last film you watched thread as well as I feel that is more of a mainstream thread for movie lovers while this thread could sometimes feel too intimidating for some.

Mods, please feel free to delete or re-arrange my review post above as you see fit.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    444 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Almost Famous(2000)

There is something about Cameron Crowe that I admire a lot, the laid back characters always make a mark on my mind.

In this movie which probably came after Jerry Maguire,its about a young rock and roll journalist trying to get an interview of a famous band ,and finds himself in a troubled situation with his interview getting dragged and him becoming friends with the band(a big no for a journalist).

Watch it for some amazing music scene of 70's with some brilliant acting.

In cricket, my superhero is Sachin Tendulkar. He has always been my hero.
    -Virat Kohli

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Antonioni trilogy - L'Avventura (1960), La Notte (1961), and L'Eclisse (1962).

One of the best most poignant and haunting portrayals of existentialism, the emptiness and decay of modern society and the malady of urban bourgeoisie life.

A narrative breakthrough with black and white images creating the mood and atmosphere with minimum use of soundtrack or even a semblance of a story line. The viewer is left languishing in the cold yet immersive environment of the movie, getting deeply impacted on a metaphysical and psychological level unrivaled by any other artistic expression.

Highly recommended. If anyone has seen these movies, I would love to have a discussion...

“I am not young enough to know everything.”

― Oscar Wilde

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yasir View Post
    Mainstreams movies are rarely good ones. Look at avengers and marvel billions of dollar franchise. They are the most junk movies out there, yet infinity war has already made billion dollar in two weeks. Whole world is getting dummer by day, well marvel is MD of movies, after watching marvel movies, I can get a sense why religion is popular 🙄🙄

Nasiruldin shah, Om puri were never popular actors of their time, because they were not good looking and glamorous, Same is true with airframe Khan and NS. Desis have sense of insecurity about looks, they cannot see pass that. Katerina Kaif is most famous actoress of her time, main reason is she looks more western than Indian, its not just looks, she actually had mixed genes 🙃

You should not go by popular choice in general for movies any where in the world. Atleast in west Oscar movies are generally good quality.
    I dont agree With the statement at all. Good or bad film is based on how engaging it is to the target audience and if the director has succeeded in telling what he wanted to say.

If you go into Dumb and Dumber excepting Schindler's list..it is not the movie's problem. Dumb and Dumber is an excellent mainstream madcap comedy targeting people who watch movie like that...and if he has engaged them and did what he set out to make...it is a good and successful film.

I wont believe for one second that making schinlder's list or Cast away is harder than say....Avengers. Amount of man hours..CGI...technical expertise needed to create something humongous and cater greatly to millions of people ....it is an art and task by itself. And by not saying it is good cinema is an insult...Anything engaging to the target audience is good cinema...and hence the subjectiveness of it.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saw Ready Player one yesterday. An OK movie but the Nostalgic value was over the roof. I actually started making mental notes of all the popular references just to see how many I recognized. After the movie I searched for a list of all the references in the movie and surely enough found this https://screenrant.com/ready-player-...er-eggs-guide/.

Out of the hundred or so I got around 60 odd and that was on first viewing without the many hidden symbols. How many did you get?

Debut
    Apr 2007
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IgnitedMind View Post
    I dont agree With the statement at all. Good or bad film is based on how engaging it is to the target audience and if the director has succeeded in telling what he wanted to say.

If you go into Dumb and Dumber excepting Schindler's list..it is not the movie's problem. Dumb and Dumber is an excellent mainstream madcap comedy targeting people who watch movie like that...and if he has engaged them and did what he set out to make...it is a good and successful film.

I wont believe for one second that making schinlder's list or Cast away is harder than say....Avengers. Amount of man hours..CGI...technical expertise needed to create something humongous and cater greatly to millions of people ....it is an art and task by itself. And by not saying it is good cinema is an insult...Anything engaging to the target audience is good cinema...and hence the subjectiveness of it.
    Well sugar is very engaging food, that's what food industry has banked on for 100+ year, they had manipulated how our body food processing system works, all it has given to society is loads of diseases and not much else...

This super hero genre is dumbing down the reality. My main gripe is load of horse **** in name of science fiction, it has nothing to do with Science, using few scientific words in a non sense way, does not make it science fiction. This super hero and super natural is 2000 years old recycled religious material, presented with new veneer, Are we still selling this non-sense to billions, where society is going with this?? - This is truly MD of content, cheap, engaging and dirt right junk...You are just producing dumb and fat Masses, now billions of follower

If you want to do things that are certain to succeed, you are doing very obvious thing - E Musk

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well sugar is very engaging food, that's what food industry has banked on for 100+ year, they had manipulated how our body food processing system works, all it has given to society is loads of diseases and not much else...

This super hero genre is dumbing down the reality. My main gripe is load of horse **** in name of science fiction, it has nothing to do with Science, using few scientific words in a non sense way, does not make it science fiction. This super hero and super natural is 2000 years old recycled religious material, presented with new veneer, Are we still selling this non-sense to billions, where society is going with this?? - This is truly MD of content, cheap, engaging and dirt right junk...You are just producing dumb and fat Masses, now billions of follower
    Could not agree more. Superhero movies should not termed sci fi, rather fantasy. Its pretty dumb.

Also, there should be another category for apocalypse movies, such as those of the zombie genre. Even though I love a good zombie series or a flick, not sure it should go by sci fi.

Debut
    Mar 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did you just compare a classic like Schindler's List to those terrible Avengers "movies"?

Debut
    Apr 2007
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidilicious View Post
    Could not agree more. Superhero movies should not termed sci fi, rather fantasy. Its pretty dumb.

Also, there should be another category for apocalypse movies, such as those of the zombie genre. Even though I love a good zombie series or a flick, not sure it should go by sci fi.
    This is a marketing stunt, try to give authenticity to your junk content. Science fiction that is based on science makes sense, this is nothing like science, its completely opposite. Its like considering racist and anti-racist as same thing, they are opposite...

Super natural in itself is wrong word, its opposite of natural, many people get perception that super natural is some superior form of natural world, where as its just a fantasy and full of baseless principles, that cannot be defended or explored by scientific means... 🙄🙄

Another example is DEEPAK Chopra sells his spiritual crap as Meta Physic, what the hell is Meta Physic?? Try to ligitimize or make is discipline of science by using physic in the subject. That just boils my blood, most people are illiterate (specially about science, but science has a strong brand), they try to associate with that brand...

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a marketing stunt, try to give authenticity to your junk content. Science fiction that is based on science makes sense, this is nothing like science, its completely opposite. Its like considering racist and anti-racist as same thing, they are opposite...

Super natural in itself is wrong word, its opposite of natural, many people get perception that super natural is some superior form of natural world, where as its just a fantasy and full of baseless principles, that cannot be defended or explored by scientific means... 🙄🙄

Another example is DEEPAK Chopra sells his spiritual crap as Meta Physic, what the hell is Meta Physic?? Try to ligitimize or make is discipline of science by using physic in the subject. That just boils my blood, most people are illiterate (specially about science, but science has a strong brand), they try to associate with that brand...
    Superheroes will always exist in the imaginations of people as it is in our nature to find the best, biggest, strongest etc and then assign exaggerated or impossible attributes to fictional or non fictional characters. Various Gods and supernatural entities existing in folklore throughout time being a testament to that.

I think most people who watch these superhero movies know it is fantasy and escapism (which is the whole point of movies) and not actual science (unless its classified as documentary), so I think you're taking it a bit too literally and being quite harsh on them. Not every movie has to be The Godfather.

Although do agree with all that meta physics and Jyotish stuff. Just con men looking to feed on gullible or desperate people.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rahul1 View Post
    Did you just compare a classic like Schindler's List to those terrible Avengers "movies"?
    Are you going to be pretentious and explain to me why schindler's list is the greatest movie of all time?

If half the brain used to watch schindlder's list was used to comprehend the post, it would have been easy to understand that all I was saying was...each of the movies has its place...and its intentions. Choose the movie whatever you are in the mood for.... not that hard !! there is absolutely no reason to look down upon a movie because it is not artsy or intelligent enough...because some movies were not intended to do that...as long as they entertain and hold attention of the audience the movie was intended to..its a win! You cannot judge something on basis of what it never intended to be .

Debut
    May 2015
    Venue
    The Capital Wasteland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    477 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Lmao I don’t agree with this statement that a film is good based on how engaging it is for its target audience. Student of The Year type movies engage their brainless audience but should these garbage movies be termed as good? No way. Based on this login, 99 percent of the trash that comes out of Bollywood is good

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    372 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Are you going to be pretentious and explain to me why schindler's list is the greatest movie of all time?

If half the brain used to watch schindlder's list was used to comprehend the post, it would have been easy to understand that all I was saying was...each of the movies has its place...and its intentions. Choose the movie whatever you are in the mood for.... not that hard !! there is absolutely no reason to look down upon a movie because it is not artsy or intelligent enough...because some movies were not intended to do that...as long as they entertain and hold attention of the audience the movie was intended to..its a win! You cannot judge something on basis of what it never intended to be .
    Thankfully artists, writers and poets didn't think like this..that as long as it entertains some people with low uncultured taste, no problem with serving the lowest common denominator. I am sure you would justify choli ke peechay and all such vulgar, crass and c grade stuff because it entertained you.

Debut
    Mar 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where have i said that Schindler's List is the greatest movie of all time?

Regarding your second para, i strongly disagree with the notion that just because a particular target audience likes a movie, it is good. By that logic, a 'movie' like kick should be a classic because it appeals to clueless salman fans who don't know any better.
    Last edited by DeadBall; 10th May 2018 at 20:29.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aliasad1998 View Post
    Lmao I dont agree with this statement that a film is good based on how engaging it is for its target audience. Student of The Year type movies engage their brainless audience but should these garbage movies be termed as good? No way. Based on this login, 99 percent of the trash that comes out of Bollywood is good
    I think the original discussion started from judging people based on their choice of entertainment...all I was saying was there are people and moods for various movies at various times.

It takes a lot of make a good engaging movie..every movie need not be good in the universal content. A person has right to see a movie as just a basis of entertainment without questioning his intelligence...after a long day of work...I prefer a sitcom over a GOT or Sopranos. And as long as the sitcom is doing its job...it is a success. It takes a brains to make the so called "brainless" comedies engaging.

I was not saying student of the year is a good cinema...all I am saying is what it never intended to be forrest Gump..so know your cinema...Let the 15 year old tweens watch student of the year...it is not for you. Watching it and then ******** over it makes no sense because....it was never made for you.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rahul1 View Post
    Where have i said that Schindler's List is the greatest movie of all time?

Regarding your second para, i strongly disagree with the notion that just because a particular target audience likes a movie, it is good. By that logic, a 'movie' like kick should be a classic because it appeals to clueless salman fans who don't know any better.
    No, I am not saying Kick was good cinema. All I am saying was it never wanted to be schindler's List..refer to my post above.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CricketCartoons View Post
    Thankfully artists, writers and poets didn't think like this..that as long as it entertains some people with low uncultured taste, no problem with serving the lowest common denominator. I am sure you would justify choli ke peechay and all such vulgar, crass and c grade stuff because it entertained you.
    Yes, I have no problem with any content ...From children movies to Slapstick to Indie films to big blockbusters....Everything has its audience. One is little more cinematic.......as long as the movies set out to do what they wanted and people got what they wanted.

Entertainment of a low class denominator is personal to him...so is the entertainment of a scholar !

It is cruel to ask a uneducated rickshaw puller after hard day to not enjoy to a loud comedy or an item song....or whatever ! Tomarrow when he is rich and has all the wealth in the world and is comfortable in his life...he will watch English patient or Schinlder's list or some other movies which satisfy diifferent emotions....for now let him enjoy his C Grade stuff and escape from his reality of Sadness and despair and hardword !

Escapism movies provide is God's work !
    Last edited by DeadBall; 10th May 2018 at 21:16.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with @IgnitedMind, entertainment is in the end escapism, what might be a masterpiece to one may be trash to another. There are many movies/films/series etc which I think are great which other thinks are crap. It is all subjective and everyone interprets it in their own way. No need to belittle others who do not agree with you.

Having said that, one does develop a refined palate, the more good quality cinema/tv etc one consumes. Although even then there are critics who argue with one another and put each other down. Best thing is to watch for yourself and enjoy whatever you like.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting debate above about the merits of a "good" movie and what classifies as an "engaging" film per @IgnitedMind. Like @DeadBall said, its all subjective however to me the bigger question remains, what differentiates art from entertainment and are they both mutually exclusive.

Art to me serves a higher purpose. It not only engages one but it also makes one analyze and meditate about life and all its tributaries. It has the power to enrich the soul and not only create emotion but actual original thought. Entertainment is enriching as well but its usually short term, perfunctory and superficial. We cannot debate its importance in our lives however it does nothing to further our thought process. Its disposable and easily irreplaceable. Art is priceless. It requires more commitment and care hence ultimately it is more rewarding.

Now I can understand that admiring or even acquiring the time to appreciate art in our busy lives is not everyone's cup of tea. However, this should not be turned into an excuse to disregard art or the people who are into it. Its obvious that these people have put in the time and effort to acquire some knowledge and depth to be better judges of content and that is what makes them "experts" or "critics" of art. However, to deny their opinion and equate them to everyday person in the guise of equality in unjust in my opinion.

To justify the worship of trash entertainment because of its mainstream popularity is like justifying the merits of McDonalds or Burger King because of their ubiquitousness and permeability in our culture. Fact is, trash remains trash and though it might be temporarily satisfying and fulfilling, in the long run it leads to laziness and indifference, something quite opposite to consuming a gourmet meal, i.e. a rewarding spiritual and intellectual exercise.

― Oscar Wilde

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    444 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    The ones providing entertainment are also artists, wouldn't Charlie Chaplin be one?

I never felt this earlier but as life is progressing I'm realizing the value of entertainment, I feel relaxed after a day's work watching something that makes me laugh, not something that makes me ponder over , I don't want to use my cognitive ability over something that I'm not creating.

I will personally take an engaging entertainer over something that is meant for a niche audience.

Having said that I respect and admire everyone that has contributed to cinema over the years by daring to be different and enhancing to it's current form.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    372 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Yes, I have no problem with any content ...From children movies to Slapstick to Indie films to big blockbusters....Everything has its audience. One is little more cinematic.......as long as the movies set out to do what they wanted and people got what they wanted.

Entertainment of a low class denominator is personal to him...so is the entertainment of a scholar !

It is cruel to ask a uneducated rickshaw puller after hard day to not enjoy to a loud comedy or an item song....or whatever ! Tomarrow when he is rich and has all the wealth in the world and is comfortable in his life...he will watch English patient or Schinlder's list or some other movies which satisfy diifferent emotions....for now let him enjoy his C Grade stuff and escape from his reality of Sadness and despair and hardword !

Escapism movies provide is God's work !
    Nice try. You want to enjoy ghatiya work and wallow in cesspit but also want to be treated at par with someone with refined tastes like rest of us? Enjoy your guilty pleasures, but please don't fool us by hiding behind the example of a poor rickshaw puller. Trying to use his poverty to justify your perversions? SMH

Debut
    May 2015
    Venue
    The Capital Wasteland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    477 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Nice try. You want to enjoy ghatiya work and wallow in cesspit but also want to be treated at par with someone with refined tastes like rest of us? Enjoy your guilty pleasures, but please don't fool us by hiding behind the example of a poor rickshaw puller. Trying to use his poverty to justify your perversions? SMH
    Relentless

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Interesting debate above about the merits of a "good" movie and what classifies as an "engaging" film per @IgnitedMind. Like @DeadBall said, its all subjective however to me the bigger question remains, what differentiates art from entertainment and are they both mutually exclusive.

Art to me serves a higher purpose. It not only engages one but it also makes one analyze and meditate about life and all its tributaries. It has the power to enrich the soul and not only create emotion but actual original thought. Entertainment is enriching as well but its usually short term, perfunctory and superficial. We cannot debate its importance in our lives however it does nothing to further our thought process. Its disposable and easily irreplaceable. Art is priceless. It requires more commitment and care hence ultimately it is more rewarding.

Now I can understand that admiring or even acquiring the time to appreciate art in our busy lives is not everyone's cup of tea. However, this should not be turned into an excuse to disregard art or the people who are into it. Its obvious that these people have put in the time and effort to acquire some knowledge and depth to be better judges of content and that is what makes them "experts" or "critics" of art. However, to deny their opinion and equate them to everyday person in the guise of equality in unjust in my opinion.

To justify the worship of trash entertainment because of its mainstream popularity is like justifying the merits of McDonalds or Burger King because of their ubiquitousness and permeability in our culture. Fact is, trash remains trash and though it might be temporarily satisfying and fulfilling, in the long run it leads to laziness and indifference, something quite opposite to consuming a gourmet meal, i.e. a rewarding spiritual and intellectual exercise.
    Couple of things, is "art" Personal or for an audience? And what purpose does that "art" solve if I am not into. An Abstract painting might be an art to you...but it might be a really bad drawing for me . Now art of the painting has come from your interpretation of the painting because something in it has connected with you, struck a chord ...due to certain experience in your life or your innate thought process. In a scenario, is the painting artistic because you struck a chord with it, or was it artistic by law.

Now, coming to film making. Why is it art only when it makes you ponder over life, I think its equally artistic that a movie has made a person forget about his life...and took him into a different world all together. Doesn't it take clarity in thought, screenwriting expertise confined to the genre of film making? I don't agree with the analogy with fast food..fast food spoils your health....an entertaining movie gives you a rejuvenation to begin your life again...puts in your positive frame of mind with no side effects. While Good healthy food is necessary, it is not necessary for cinema to teach you life lessons....life does it for you. I don't believe that is easier to make the hangover over Schindler's list....the characters, the jokes, screenplay none of that wrote itself in the Hangover.....while the story of Schindler's list had a ready made hard hitting emotion where people were going to empathize with 100 percent of the time. Now, why is one more art than the other?Try it at home, even for people like us...who are not story writers....it is easier to think of a sad hard hitting story and narrate it engagingly... over creating a solid 5 min Joke which makes millions of people of laugh.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Enjoy your "refined" taste buddy !!

Just curious, Does having a set "refined" taste broaden the cinematic experience of the person?...or being open minded and tune yourself to type of cinema you are going to watch do that?

Can a person enjoy Govinda dance .....Avengers fight....and also appreciate the shawshanks, the schindlers of the world during different times in his day/life !! Who has the "refined" taste here....one who watches and can appreciate only one type of cinema?
    Last edited by IgnitedMind; 11th May 2018 at 13:27.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Couple of things, is "art" Personal or for an audience? And what purpose does that "art" solve if I am not into. An Abstract painting might be an art to you...but it might be a really bad drawing for me . Now art of the painting has come from your interpretation of the painting because something in it has connected with you, struck a chord ...due to certain experience in your life or your innate thought process. In a scenario, is the painting artistic because you struck a chord with it, or was it artistic by law.

Now, coming to film making. Why is it art only when it makes you ponder over life, I think its equally artistic that a movie has made a person forget about his life...and took him into a different world all together. Doesn't it take clarity in thought, screenwriting expertise confined to the genre of film making? I don't agree with the analogy with fast food..fast food spoils your health....an entertaining movie gives you a rejuvenation to begin your life again...puts in your positive frame of mind with no side effects. While Good healthy food is necessary, it is not necessary for cinema to teach you life lessons....life does it for you. I don't believe that is easier to make the hangover over Schindler's list....the characters, the jokes, screenplay none of that wrote itself in the Hangover.....while the story of Schindler's list had a ready made hard hitting emotion where people were going to empathize with 100 percent of the time. Now, why is one more art than the other?Try it at home, even for people like us...who are not story writers....it is easier to think of a sad hard hitting story and narrate it engagingly... over creating a solid 5 min Joke which makes millions of people of laugh.
    Art is not for everyone, I agree. I also feel that any immersive cinematic experience can be considered art whether its a big budget commercial movie or an arthouse movie. But not all escapist movies can be considered artistic however they are not mutually exclusive. Also, one doesn't watch arthouse movies to gain life lessons. I for one specially dislike preachy self important movies. You watch them to immerse yourself in that world and to leave a residue on you that stays with you long after the movie is over. They influence you on a psychological level. Plus, its a pleasurable and enriching experience. If a movie like Hangover does the same for you than kudos to you. After all, our tastes are subjective and informed by our personalities, psychological makeups and influences. I also liked Hangover as an enjoyable yet disposable experience. Movies like that have a place in our lives as well, just like Schindler's list. But its unjust to equate them or even compare their merits.

― Oscar Wilde

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    372 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Enjoy your "refined" taste buddy !!

Just curious, Does having a set "refined" taste broaden the cinematic experience of the person?...or being open minded and tune yourself to type of cinema you are going to watch do that?

Can a person enjoy Govinda dance .....Avengers fight....and also appreciate the shawshanks, the schindlers of the world during different times in his day/life !! Who has the "refined" taste here....one who watches and can appreciate only one type of cinema?
    Watching and enjoying Jungle mein masti and sisakti kaliyaan is not broadening your cinematic experience. It is broadening your voyeurism and perversion. It is embarrassing that you are still defending your choice of bad "cinema" just because you have a taste for it.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Watching and enjoying Jungle mein masti and sisakti kaliyaan is not broadening your cinematic experience. It is broadening your voyeurism and perversion. It is embarrassing that you are still defending your choice of bad "cinema" just because you have a taste for it.
    True, those movies mentioned are catering to one emotion among the many complex emotions a person has. Why is a movie catering to the primal emotion like sex/loneliness any different from a movie catering to other primal emotions like Anger or violence or heartbreak or anything of that sort. Movie is supposed to take you into the world and evoke an emotion....irrespective of whether it is just for that instant or have a lingering long term effect. Erotic movies can be done with great aesthetics or with crassness as well. Now film maker of those movies has told you what it is , if you go into it expecting something else...whose fault is it? Did you expect thought provoking stuff from Jungle mein masti ? Dont watch Jungle mein masti if you are not looking for a softcore....but if you are looking one and Jungle mein masti has satisfied you....then it has done its job for you. Good, bad cinema is very personal. And taste of the movies should not decide how "refined" a person is. You can be an intelligent successfull person who enjoys american pie once in a while.
    Last edited by IgnitedMind; 11th May 2018 at 18:48.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Art is not for everyone, I agree. I also feel that any immersive cinematic experience can be considered art whether its a big budget commercial movie or an arthouse movie. But not all escapist movies can be considered artistic however they are not mutually exclusive. Also, one doesn't watch arthouse movies to gain life lessons. I for one specially dislike preachy self important movies. You watch them to immerse yourself in that world and to leave a residue on you that stays with you long after the movie is over. They influence you on a psychological level. Plus, its a pleasurable and enriching experience. If a movie like Hangover does the same for you than kudos to you. After all, our tastes are subjective and informed by our personalities, psychological makeups and influences. I also liked Hangover as an enjoyable yet disposable experience. Movies like that have a place in our lives as well, just like Schindler's list. But its unjust to equate them or even compare their merits.
    I agree !

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    372 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Good, bad cinema is very personal.
    The dumbest comment I have read in a while including mine. According to you there is no good or bad art, but just personal choice. There is nothing called bad acting as long as it entertains someone. Nothing like bad script, as long as someone enjoyed it. Nothing like a bad meal as long as it fills your stomach.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The dumbest comment I have read in a while including mine. According to you there is no good or bad art, but just personal choice. There is nothing called bad acting as long as it entertains someone. Nothing like bad script, as long as someone enjoyed it. Nothing like a bad meal as long as it fills your stomach.
    Not great anologies, a person not acting well is evident. A non coherent non engaging script is a bad script to the person reading it. Burger King is a bad meal when health is considered, but a good one when taste of a certain fast food loving person is considered. Did burger king tell you it is healthy food, It did not. So when you eat at burger king...don't expect to loose weight is just what I am saying. Choose the cinema you need for that moment...and for that mood you are in. Dont crib that there is no life altering stuff in a cinema that never intended to do that....if that is hard to comprehend for you, I dont know. Dont judge the taste of the person watching it..it is just 2 hrs of an entire 100 yr life..... that choice he makes is a function of the mood of the person/socio-economic condition/education/ just nature ...combination. Just because you do not share it...Dont have to look down. ..we need all kinds of cinema to co-exist....that is a healthy industry. A bubblegum romantic comedy to a tween is as important as intelligent thriller to an adult. I cant be more clear than this... Done buddy.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Am a huge fan of serial killer hunter movies, especially foreign ones. Finally got the chance to see 3 yesterday

La Isla Minima (Marshland) (2014)- An excellent Spanish crime thriller in the mold of True Detective. The pacing, cinematography and chemistry between the two leads is one of the best I have seen in a long time.

Antikrper (Antibodies) (2005)- A roller coaster German thriller in the vein of Silence of the Lambs, a cat and mouse game between small town detective and a highly intelligent psychopath (played brilliantly by Hennicke). The opening lines of the movie set the tone perfectly :

Engel : "The world is unfair. Even to people like us. Pedro Alonso Lopez committed 300 sex murders. Now, 20 years later, who remembers him? Not a soul. Jack the Ripper is world-famous, and for what? Five b*****. Five! And Charley Manson. The hippie they called "Our Emperor" didn't even commit one murder himself."

Das Letzte Schweigen (The Silence) (2010)- Another outstanding German serial killer crime thriller albeit it is more about the past coming to haunt one of the unwilling accomplices (who had forgotten all about it until another murder was staged at the exact same place and modus operandi 23 years later) rather than the murders itself. The ending is what really hits home as instead of a satisfactory ending (to which it was building up) we get what actually happens mostly in reality.
    Last edited by DeadBall; 11th May 2018 at 19:34.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True, those movies mentioned are catering to one emotion among the many complex emotions a person has. Why is a movie catering to the primal emotion like sex/loneliness any different from a movie catering to other primal emotions like Anger or violence or heartbreak or anything of that sort. Movie is supposed to take you into the world and evoke an emotion....irrespective of whether it is just for that instant or have a lingering long term effect. Erotic movies can be done with great aesthetics or with crassness as well. Now film maker of those movies has told you what it is , if you go into it expecting something else...whose fault is it? Did you expect thought provoking stuff from Jungle mein masti ? Dont watch Jungle mein masti if you are not looking for a softcore....but if you are looking one and Jungle mein masti has satisfied you....then it has done its job for you. Good, bad cinema is very personal. And taste of the movies should not decide how "refined" a person is. You can be an intelligent successfull person who enjoys american pie once in a while.
    Why not? How do you define "refined" taste. Does intelligence not count? Is having a taste for arthouse movies no longer mean anything?

This forced democratization of everyone's likes and tastes is what has ultimately caused the downfall of intelligent/artistic cinema into what we have now. An era of dumbed down man-child fantasy movies dominated by corporate consumer friendly culture.

Just look at the cinema of the 70's. Godfather, Chinatown, Taxi driver, Dog Day Afternoon, All the President's men, Barry Lyndon etc. etc. Nothing from the modern era come even close to those legendary movies. Fortunately there are still a few auteurs able to realize their vision on a grand scale like PTA and QT but apart from that, the culture of movies have become so disposable.

We used to watch movies to contemplate and reflect on the great questions of the day like existentialism or alienation in the post-modern society. Now, cinema is being dominated by the fan-boy culture interested in mundane story lines and plot twists which goes back to the tradition of paperback detective novel series or more recently TV serials and less to do with the profound medium of cinema, which has its own language, at times vague like life is, creating a mood and atmosphere which has very little to do with story lines or plots.

Unfortunately, as a society we have stopped asking those important questions from cinema and have instead become pre-occupied with the latest sensation, be it on Youtube or TV or pop-corn flicks. An utterly disposable and forgettable experience.

― Oscar Wilde

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4410 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Someone mentioned Million Dollar Baby, was thinking about it a few days ago my god it was so moving. Am a huge fan of Boxing and it is arguably my all time favourite when it comes to the sport and up there with Raging Bull. Boxing has a great record in hollywood which could continue with Creed 2 and the biopics on Mike Tyson and his trainer Cus D Amato; Martin Scorcee could be involved in the Tyson movie and Jamie Fox is expected to play him.

If you love psychological thrillers, you should see Memento. Other then that, Rear Window is pretty good but it's more of a mystery.

Among animated movies, Kubo and the Two Strings has to be one of the best I have seen in recent times.

Wild Tales is another fantastic movie, it's an comedy anthology in Spanish but am sure you will love it
    Last edited by shaz619; 11th May 2018 at 20:05.

Ah, so this is what it feels like

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaz619 View Post
    Someone mentioned Million Dollar Baby, was thinking about it a few days ago my god it was so moving. Am a huge fan of Boxing and it is arguably my all time favourite when it comes to the sport and up there with Raging Bull. Boxing has a great record in hollywood which could continue with Creed 2 and the biopics on Mike Tyson and his trainer Cus D Amato; Martin Scorcee could be involved in the Tyson movie and Jamie Fox is expected to play him.
    If you haven't seen them already I would recommend "The Fighter" based on the true story of "Irish" Mickey Ward, Bale was sensational in it and "Cinderella Man" again based on the true comeback story of James Braddock (was back in the day when boxing was rawer and grittier), and Hurricane, based on the life of Rubin "Hurricane" Carter but is more about a black boxers struggle and wrongful imprisonment rather than actual boxing, Denzel was robbed of an Oscar for this role in my opinion.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Attock
    Runs
    Mentioned
    344 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not? How do you define "refined" taste. Does intelligence not count? Is having a taste for arthouse movies no longer mean anything?

This forced democratization of everyone's likes and tastes is what has ultimately caused the downfall of intelligent/artistic cinema into what we have now. An era of dumbed down man-child fantasy movies dominated by corporate consumer friendly culture.

Just look at the cinema of the 70's. Godfather, Chinatown, Taxi driver, Dog Day Afternoon, All the President's men, Barry Lyndon etc. etc. Nothing from the modern era come even close to those legendary movies. Fortunately there are still a few auteurs able to realize their vision on a grand scale like PTA and QT but apart from that, the culture of movies have become so disposable.

We used to watch movies to contemplate and reflect on the great questions of the day like existentialism or alienation in the post-modern society. Now, cinema is being dominated by the fan-boy culture interested in mundane story lines and plot twists which goes back to the tradition of paperback detective novel series or more recently TV serials and less to do with the profound medium of cinema, which has its own language, at times vague like life is, creating a mood and atmosphere which has very little to do with story lines or plots.

Unfortunately, as a society we have stopped asking those important questions from cinema and have instead become pre-occupied with the latest sensation, be it on Youtube or TV or pop-corn flicks. An utterly disposable and forgettable experience.
    What do you think is the reason behind this dumbing down of modern society ? When do you think this process started ?

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The History Channel which actually stood for something before showing Pawn Stars, Storage Wars etc and National Geographic showing Hitler Zombie "documentaries" should be evidence enough how much they have dumbed down for the public. After all they are a business and will cater to what is in demand.

However am not totally sure whether the media dumbed down the public to provide easily produced crap for mass consumption or the masses dumbed down and forced to the media to provide them with the lowest quality of entertainment.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenstorm View Post
    What do you think is the reason behind this dumbing down of modern society ? When do you think this process started ?
    Most film historian and critics mark the period when the studios shifted from auteur based movies to corporate controlled movies mainly green-lighted by studio execs and agents after the commercial disaster of a movie by Michael Cimino (who also made the seminal Oscar winning Vietnam movie Dear Hunter) called Heavens Gate in 1980. The United artist studio who produced the movie went bankrupt after this movies failure and overnight the control from directors were taken up by the studios. Some also sight the success of Jaws and Star Wars during that time.

As to why this dumbing down happened. I will try to address this question in more detail but as I stated above, our evolution as a society shifted to consumerism and being puppets of the corporations during the 80s which caused an intellectual and psychological decline still prevalent and more pervasive by the ease of accessibility to movies and any content. The movies lost their uniqueness.

― Oscar Wilde

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4410 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadBall View Post
    If you haven't seen them already I would recommend "The Fighter" based on the true story of "Irish" Mickey Ward, Bale was sensational in it and "Cinderella Man" again based on the true comeback story of James Braddock (was back in the day when boxing was rawer and grittier), and Hurricane, based on the life of Rubin "Hurricane" Carter but is more about a black boxers struggle and wrongful imprisonment rather than actual boxing, Denzel was robbed of an Oscar for this role in my opinion.
    I've seen The Fighter and Cinderella Man, only criticism of The Fighter I have is it's unfortunate they did not cover the Gatti / Ward fights because they defined his career but off course the journey prior to them enabled a great tale in itself. I watched the Cinderella Man in the cinema, yes the sport was very gritty then heck they didn't even make fighters go to their neutral corner after a knockdown and fights were a lot longer to. Was very excited for CM, Max Baer was one of the greatest HW's of his era and up there with Schemling and Joe Louis, you could look at him in the same vein as Tyson or a Foreman of that period when it came to the punch he packed, truth be told Braddock was just a Journeyman past his prime and what he archived was remarkable and a bigger upset then Buster Douglas dethroning Tyson, Douglas had only lost 4 times prior to that fight with Mike and was coming off great wins of MCall and Berbick.

Braddock had lost 25 times on the other hand, was plagued by injuries and poverty; he was just seen as an easy pay day for Baer. It's the greatest upset of all time across any sport for me. He will always remain the Cinderella Man of Boxing, I was always going to watch the movie but my Cinema was offering people refunds if they did not enjoy the movie lol it could have done with a bit more on the marketing / promotion front but was an absolute gem.

Will watch Hurricane, need to check that one out haven't seen it yet

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen The Fighter and Cinderella Man, only criticism of The Fighter I have is it's unfortunate they did not cover the Gatti / Ward fights because they defined his career but off course the journey prior to them enabled a great tale in itself. I watched the Cinderella Man in the cinema, yes the sport was very gritty then heck they didn't even make fighters go to their neutral corner after a knockdown and fights were a lot longer to. Was very excited for CM, Max Baer was one of the greatest HW's of his era and up there with Schemling and Joe Louis, you could look at him in the same vein as Tyson or a Foreman of that period when it came to the punch he packed, truth be told Braddock was just a Journeyman past his prime and what he archived was remarkable and a bigger upset then Buster Douglas dethroning Tyson, Douglas had only lost 4 times prior to that fight with Mike and was coming off great wins of MCall and Berbick.

Braddock had lost 25 times on the other hand, was plagued by injuries and poverty; he was just seen as an easy pay day for Baer. It's the greatest upset of all time across any sport for me. He will always remain the Cinderella Man of Boxing, I was always going to watch the movie but my Cinema was offering people refunds if they did not enjoy the movie lol it could have done with a bit more on the marketing / promotion front but was an absolute gem.

Will watch Hurricane, need to check that one out haven't seen it yet
    You really do know your boxing. Do watch Hurricane though, you won't regret it. Also since you are into UFC I think you have almost surely seen Warriors.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The History Channel which actually stood for something before showing Pawn Stars, Storage Wars etc and National Geographic showing Hitler Zombie "documentaries" should be evidence enough how much they have dumbed down for the public. After all they are a business and will cater to what is in demand.

However am not totally sure whether the media dumbed down the public to provide easily produced crap for mass consumption or the masses dumbed down and forced to the media to provide them with the lowest quality of entertainment.
    Yes, even MTV which was all about music videos, an art form if done right (e.g. Fincher esp. the Madonna videos) is now populated with shows about Teen Moms, Sweet 16 birthday parties and tardy hook-up shows.

As to the question of chicken or egg and who came first, I think its been a mutual decline. Once corporate America truly got their grip around youngster and teenagers, a vital demographic for any significant social movement, the game was over. Plus, the 80's brought in a culture of unabashed capitalism and shallowness, best portrayed in movies like the Wall Street, American Psycho and more recently The Wolf of Wall Street, which screwed both the chicken and the egg. Nowadays is just a continuation of that culture, maybe more subtle than the 80's but more pervasive because of the advent of internet and the social media

― Oscar Wilde

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Attock
    Runs
    Mentioned
    344 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most film historian and critics mark the period when the studios shifted from auteur based movies to corporate controlled movies mainly green-lighted by studio execs and agents after the commercial disaster of a movie by Michael Cimino (who also made the seminal Oscar winning Vietnam movie Dear Hunter) called Heavens Gate in 1980. The United artist studio who produced the movie went bankrupt after this movies failure and overnight the control from directors were taken up by the studios. Some also sight the success of Jaws and Star Wars during that time.

As to why this dumbing down happened. I will try to address this question in more detail but as I stated above, our evolution as a society shifted to consumerism and being puppets of the corporations during the 80’s which caused an intellectual and psychological decline still prevalent and more pervasive by the ease of accessibility to movies and any content. The movies lost their uniqueness.
    Interesting, I used to believe that this process started in mid 2000s with the emergence of internet and social media. A lot of rock bands that used to produce good music with deep soulful lyrics in 2000s are now turned into pop music with no lyrical meaning. Similarly movies from 90s and early 2000s were a lot better than todays. I think society as a whole has moved towards ease and comfort. Everything is available with the press of a button. This attitude has translated in our taste for art and as a result nobody is willing to make an effort to appreciate it and immerse themselves fully into it because of the effort it takes.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenstorm View Post
    Interesting, I used to believe that this process started in mid 2000s with the emergence of internet and social media. A lot of rock bands that used to produce good music with deep soulful lyrics in 2000s are now turned into pop music with no lyrical meaning. Similarly movies from 90s and early 2000s were a lot better than todays. I think society as a whole has moved towards ease and comfort. Everything is available with the press of a button. This attitude has translated in our taste for art and as a result nobody is willing to make an effort to appreciate it and immerse themselves fully into it because of the effort it takes.

Its getting worse with time. However, lets not be too pessimistic. We had several really good movies last year after many years of mediocre stuff. Movies like Phantom Thread, The Shape of Water, Dunkirk, The Killing of a Sacred Deer...haven't seen Three Billboards but have heard a lot about it. Its as if the movies had reached the bottom and there was no where else to go but up and they are now defiantly coming back. We still have some great auteurs among us and the studios seem to be supporting them. Maybe just for monetary purposes but still. Watching these directors spent real money to materialize their vision and to be given the artistic freedom to do what they want is extremely encouraging. I feel that the overabundance of TV shows are actually driving people away from them and towards the movies. Even in todays disposable culture, the need for authenticity and originality seem to be present and growing.

― Oscar Wilde

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4410 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    You really do know your boxing. Do watch Hurricane though, you won't regret it. Also since you are into UFC I think you have almost surely seen Warriors.
    Will do mate, any other boxing movies you have seen let me know. The Undisputed series is a bit under rated, if you're a fan of the fighting genre they are great. Loved Warrior, it's a hidden gem; Nick Nolte's performance especially resonated with me big time and enjoyed Kurt Angle's cameo as Koba

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will do mate, any other boxing movies you have seen let me know. The Undisputed series is a bit under rated, if you're a fan of the fighting genre they are great. Loved Warrior, it's a hidden gem; Nick Nolte's performance especially resonated with me big time and enjoyed Kurt Angle's cameo as Koba
    Loved the Undisputed series, best one was 2 followed by 3, Boyka is one of my all time favorite characters. Another similar movie is Blood and Bone starring Michael Jay White. Bloodsport with Van Damme is I think the inspiration for all these movies.

However if you want insane fight scenes I would propose Tony Jaa movies (Ong Bak series, Tom Yum Goong (The Protector) has the longest uncut single shot fight scene plus he demolishes fighters of all kinds, the ending scene is nothing short of epic) and The Raid series for some mind blowing fight scenes.

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4410 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Loved the Undisputed series, best one was 2 followed by 3, Boyka is one of my all time favorite characters. Another similar movie is Blood and Bone starring Michael Jay White. Bloodsport with Van Damme is I think the inspiration for all these movies.

However if you want insane fight scenes I would propose Tony Jaa movies (Ong Bak series, Tom Yum Goong (The Protector) has the longest uncut single shot fight scene plus he demolishes fighters of all kinds, the ending scene is nothing short of epic) and The Raid series for some mind blowing fight scenes.
    I agree, 2 and 3 were brilliant; Boyka has one of the best story arc's for an individual character in the fighting genre. Always have seen Scott Adkins as a modern Van Damme, a shame he never got that big exposure in a lead role mainstream because he really deserves it, very very talented. That reminds me part 4 is out but I've not watched it yet. Definitely, Van Damme is a pioneer in that regard; enjoying his new TV show where he plays himself. Bloodsport and Kickboxer are my favourite movies of his, the action in Bloodsport especially is rarely surpassed when it comes to martial arts perhaps the early Bruce Lee films like Enter the Dragon edge them and Jackie Chan's Snake in the Eagle's Shadow also tends to get lost in time.

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4410 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Ip Man series is another hidden gem for fight fans, fantastic story telling and action. The 3rd one performed so well at the box office that a 4th will be released within a couple of years which is great news. Love how they address the technical and spiritual aspects of Wing Chun in addition to focusing on themes such as survival, adaptation and life itself. Wilson Yip is one hell of a director, never easy being so consistent in a trilogy.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, 2 and 3 were brilliant; Boyka has one of the best story arc's for an individual character in the fighting genre. Always have seen Scott Adkins as a modern Van Damme, a shame he never got that big exposure in a lead role mainstream because he really deserves it, very very talented. That reminds me part 4 is out but I've not watched it yet. Definitely, Van Damme is a pioneer in that regard; enjoying his new TV show where he plays himself. Bloodsport and Kickboxer are my favourite movies of his, the action in Bloodsport especially is rarely surpassed when it comes to martial arts perhaps the early Bruce Lee films like Enter the Dragon edge them and Jackie Chan's Snake in the Eagle's Shadow also tends to get lost in time.
    Have seen the fourth one, he goes off to find the wife of someone he killed in the ring and then tries to pay off her debt by fighting for the mafia. Some decent fight scenes but not as good as 2 and 3.

Also watch the Tony Jaa movies if you haven't seen them, this is the epic bone breaking scene.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going to rewatch Rush (2013) tonight as just saw a Ron Howard interview. Not a F1 fan but in my opinion it is one of the best racing movies ever made.

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going to rewatch Rush (2013) tonight as just saw a Ron Howard interview. Not a F1 fan but in my opinion it is one of the best racing movies ever made.
    Even better than Race and Ta Ra Rum Pum??

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AssassinatedDevil View Post
    Even better than Race and Ta Ra Rum Pum??
    I know u are being sarcastic but Race is not a car racing sport movie

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Navdeep Srivastava View Post
    I know u are being sarcastic but Race is not a car racing sport movie
    I know but the only thing i remember about that movie is the car race in the end between Saif Ali Khan and that other guy.

Debut
    Jun 2015
    Venue
    Srinagar
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure if he's been mentioned, but Inarittu's work is always great (apart from the Revenant which isn't quite up there) especially his Trilogy of Death and Birdman. Love the way he parodies the 90s Batman films in Birdman, also it has Edward Norton who's one of my favs

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The House That Jack Built- not seen it yet but apparently ppl walked out on it at Cannes 2018 because it is too brutal.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Dragon starring Danny Yen

I Saw The Devil- watched it yet again...great Korean movie. Not for the faint hearted

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by in_cutter View Post
    I Saw The Devil- watched it yet again...great Korean movie. Not for the faint hearted
    Have you seen The Chaser (Chugyeogja) (2008)? Equally awesome (actually better in my opinion) and gruesome movie.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Have you seen The Chaser (Chugyeogja) (2008)? Equally awesome (actually better in my opinion) and gruesome movie.
    Yup..great movie.I can make a list of Korean movies I’ve watched over the yrs.

Some of fav’s:

The Yellow Sea
    The Wailing
    The Man From Nowhere
    Audition
    The Host

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some of fav’s:

The Yellow Sea
    The Wailing
    The Man From Nowhere
    Audition
    The Host
    Nice, how about

The Vengeance Trilogy
    New World
    Memories of Murder
    A Bittersweet Life
    Montage
    Joint Security Area

Debut
    Aug 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't if it's been mentioned here previously but if you haven't, do watch The Secret in their Eyes and The lives of others.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watched A Quiet Place by Krasinsky, really hit the spot. Finally a worthwhile movie in the Horror/Thriller genre in quite some time. The absence of sound was never so deafening. Wasn't on the edge of my seat like this since The Others, Frailty and High Tension.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1380 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Watched A Quiet Place by Krasinsky, really hit the spot. Finally a worthwhile movie in the Horror/Thriller genre in quite some time. The absence of sound was never so deafening. Wasn't on the edge of my seat like this since The Others, Frailty and High Tension.
    If it is in the same league as "The Others" then it must be epic. Will watch it once a good print comes out.

#Mein inko rolaonga

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    Will watch it once a good print comes out.
    Spend some money you miser

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    If it is in the same league as "The Others" then it must be epic. Will watch it once a good print comes out.
    Already out.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some of fav’s:

The Yellow Sea
    The Wailing
    The Man From Nowhere
    Audition
    The Host
    Watched The Yellow Sea. Loved it. Loved The Wailing as well. Na-Hong-jin is awesome. Will watch The Chaser once I get a chance. I liked I saw the Devil as well but left me bit underwhelmed. Still, all these movies are miles apart from current Hollywood. South Koreans are making the best movies in the world in my opinion.

― Oscar Wilde

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finally watch I'm not scared (Io non ho paura) (2003) after meaning to for a long time. Italian storytelling at it's best. Reminded me of The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas (2008), which is one of the most underrated holocaust movies out there.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watched Padman, great and possibe revolutionary movie, reminds me of Bol. Saddens me to see how stupid and brainwashed the masses are though.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Yorkshire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This Hereditary is meant to be good. Going to see it on Saturday.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    444 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    This “Hereditary” is meant to be good. Going to see it on Saturday.
    Its not, esp the climax which seems to be an issue with any horror movie.There are few good scenes at best nothing more.

In cricket, my superhero is Sachin Tendulkar. He has always been my hero.
    -Virat Kohli

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    Not quite all there.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    905 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    A lot of movies I want to watch now in theaters now that I have time. Deadpool 2, Tag, Upgrade, Hotel Artemis for my role model Jeff Goldblum.

Also found a link to the full Nosferatu movie, which is obviously a classic, but it's sort of late at night and I... uh... don't want to trigger the very sensitive overthinking/paranoid portion of my brain.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    Not quite all there.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    905 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Watched upgrade, amazing film 9/10 from me. Pathetic a movie like that gets 2 weeks in a smaller theater which isn’t XD or d box but that avengers wars gets a month and takes up the quality theaters.

Don’t get me wrong I enjoyed Avengers too, but good movies get crap time in the theaters before being taken off.

Got a Blade Runner vibe from it, but had an ounce of realism too and you could relate. Anybody else watch it? @shaz619

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Suleiman View Post
    Watched upgrade, amazing film 9/10 from me. Pathetic a movie like that gets 2 weeks in a smaller theater which isn’t XD or d box but that avengers wars gets a month and takes up the quality theaters.

Don’t get me wrong I enjoyed Avengers too, but good movies get crap time in the theaters before being taken off.

Got a Blade Runner vibe from it, but had an ounce of realism too and you could relate. Anybody else watch it? @shaz619
    Very high on my list of must watch upcoming movies. Still waiting for the release though.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watched Atak paniki (Panic attack), still trying to make some sense of it all.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    Not quite all there.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    905 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Watched Herditary today. Not a fan of horror but family wanted to watch it, I liked the concept and the lore/backstory behind it but I think they could’ve executed it a bit better

Debut
    Nov 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some under rated films:
    A history of violence
    Primal Fear
    The thirteenth Floor