Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can PSL become the second biggest Twenty20 league?

Right now it's

IPL
    BBL
    CPL
    PSL
    BPL

But as far as I can see, the future holds good for PSL.

1.By 2024, whole of PSL would be played in Pakistan.

2.Dsport has acquired rights in India. If people show good interest, STAR or SONY may acquire rights in next bidding.

3.Crores of people would follow.

4. It may have about 8 teams in the future.

It clearly has potential to become no.2 . But first it should be moved to Pakistan

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it moves to Pakistan within the next 2-4 years, absolutely. If not, than it will struggle as the UAE is terrible for cricket and destroys the purpose of the league in bringing a significant amount of cricket back to Pakistan.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2070 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I think by next year all of playoffs+final and a couple of group games will be played in Pakistan. The year after that if all goes well then the entire PSL might be moved to Pakistan.

So God willing by 2020/2021 the whole tournament will be Pakistan based. I doubt there would be alot of interest in India for the PSL even if it is played in Pakistan and don't think any of the major channels will buy the rights. It's the same way how IPL is said to be the best league but has minimal following in Pakistan.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Are Indian players not involved IPL allowed to play in other leagues? If so, could be added to the PSL draft which would enhance the overall quality due to involving players from all available countries.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kohli, The King of Chase View Post
    Right now it's

IPL
    BBL
    CPL
    PSL
    BPL

2.Dsport has acquired rights in India. If people show good interest, STAR or SONY may acquire rights in next bidding.

It clearly has potential to become no.2 . But first it should be moved to Pakistan
    True

The cultural rivalries that are present in the IPL and PSL are unparallel
    The cricket following is huge in Pakistan so the chance is high.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does CPL really have a greater platform than the PSL?

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManFan View Post
    Does CPL really have a greater platform than the PSL?
    Atleast not on cricinfo

While IPL and PSL make headlines CPL is at the bottom of the list

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleedgreen4ever View Post
    Atleast not on cricinfo

While IPL and PSL make headlines CPL is at the bottom of the list
    CPL is not exciting in the same way IPL or BBL can be for some viewers. Even the PSL is exciting at times.

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why Don't we think positively and hope it becomes the top league? I know it may sound to far in the distance but if we keep preparing like the top leagues in the world we will slowly but surely reach there. As long as we are playing cricket on the dead wickets of Dubai and Sharjah, I don't see us making it near the IPL

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    I think by next year all of playoffs+final and a couple of group games will be played in Pakistan. The year after that if all goes well then the entire PSL might be moved to Pakistan.

So God willing by 2020/2021 the whole tournament will be Pakistan based. I doubt there would be alot of interest in India for the PSL even if it is played in Pakistan and don't think any of the major channels will buy the rights. It's the same way how IPL is said to be the best league but has minimal following in Pakistan.
    Yeah but if only 10% of people in Pakistan watch the IPL its around 20 million people but the same percentage of Indians watching the PSL would be 130 million. So Indian broadcasters have a lot more incentive broadcasting it in India if there is some interest.

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    National Stadium Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it is on par with CPL and definitely has potential to improve.If the matches are played in Pakistan we will see full houses.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its going to be tough to compete directly with the IPL and BBL, the PSL just does not have the same resource pool to call upon. Having said that, it still serves as a great shop window for Pak talent to show itself in a relatively high pressure/high stakes occasion.

In PSL's favour is that even if squads are dominated by Pak players and overseas players are not of the very top bracket - the tournament can still thrive in Pakistan, and in turn, international spotlight may come round...

SOUND the ALAM!

Debut
    Dec 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Pak players are allowed to participate in the IPL, how would it affect the PSL? Itíll lose some of its international audience as the exclusivity will no longer be there but will it affect the viewership in Pakistan?

Since weíre talking about events 5 years down the line I think we should think along those lines too.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Q View Post
    If Pak players are allowed to participate in the IPL, how would it affect the PSL? It’ll lose some of its international audience as the exclusivity will no longer be there but will it affect the viewership in Pakistan?

Since we’re talking about events 5 years down the line I think we should think along those lines too.
    That will not happen as long as the current political landscape on both sides remains the same. If it does, than maybe both sides have more to gain than to lose.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    New Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    With the amount of population and Love for cricket pakistan theoretically should be the second biggest market.. However everything depends what happens in future economically in Pakistan, if the economy is stable and cricket comes back to Pakistan foreign investors will come to Pakistan and PSL will grow.. Next 2-3 years are going to be very crucial.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by big_gamer007 View Post
    With the amount of population and Love for cricket pakistan theoretically should be the second biggest market.. However everything depends what happens in future economically in Pakistan, if the economy is stable and cricket comes back to Pakistan foreign investors will come to Pakistan and PSL will grow.. Next 2-3 years are going to be very crucial.
    Absolutely. As the second largest Cricket fan base in the world, PSL certainly has a huge potential. IPL might be wealthier but that should not stop PSL from competing effectively. Same way the EPLís marketability doesnít diminish other leagues such as La Liga. If PSL can eliminate dinosaurs like KP & others and attract dynamic young talents both domestically and from abroad, PSL can be a force to reckon with.

PSL should also try to hold some exhibition matches in the UK, NZ & South Africa to grow its fan base.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kohli, The King of Chase View Post
    Right now it's

IPL
    BBL
    CPL
    PSL
    BPL

On what basis is the CPL bigger than the PSL? That isnt true ion terms of broader appeal, TV, audience, players, viewership and finances.

I'd be interested to hear your reasoning.

As for right now, the PSL is already the second best in terms of quality of cricket and it's a no brainer. In terms of revenue I'm sure the IPL is easily ahead and the BBL might be too...both the CPL and BBL are probably behind England's blast, which should not be forgotten. I havent looked up their financial info though.

PSL may overtake them financially in the next couple of years.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7430 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    As far as viewership and public interest is concerned, PSL is already the second biggest league.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    519 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Not with Sethi in charge.

A skilled hawk conceals its talons.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Hemel/Coventry
    Runs
    Mentioned
    266 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely, if the whole tournament can be in Pakistan + top players still come. Population of Pakistan is huge, then there's a lot of Pakistanis in countries like England, America, Canada etc so there will be huge interest.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Pak players are allowed to participate in the IPL, how would it affect the PSL? It’ll lose some of its international audience as the exclusivity will no longer be there but will it affect the viewership in Pakistan?

Since we’re talking about events 5 years down the line I think we should think along those lines too.
    exclusivity ?? Pakistan players will play in any and every league. there is no exclusivity about PSL showcasing the best of Pak. In fact one can argue that CPL showcases the best of Pak. PSL showcases best of Pak and also some very mediocre players whereas other Leagues only get the best of Pak

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't forget England will be starting their own in 2020 and I am sure it will attract the best of rest of world, except India. It also won't clash with IPL and will be held in Aug/Sep. Going forward i see IPL taking over March/April/May, England taking over Aug/Sep and Australia taking over Dec/Jan. All other leagues will have to squeeze themselves in between those three leagues

Debut
    Dec 2007
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    213 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    It has the potential to do so

What could make it even more lucrative for both Pakistan and India is if they have an annual event where let's see the top 4 league teams compete with each other on a home and away bases.

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    BBL is a loss maker. PSL is already the 2nd best league.

Once it fully returns to Pakistan it will cement its position. Cricket is a national sport with a national following so its only natural it will grow in local viewership which will no doubt impact international reputation and we will see it on Sky and Star in full 4k played in a full house 50,000 seater international standard rafi stadium.
    Last edited by Flat_Track_Bully; 6th March 2018 at 00:44.

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gubol123 View Post
    Don't forget England will be starting their own in 2020 and I am sure it will attract the best of rest of world, except India. It also won't clash with IPL and will be held in Aug/Sep. Going forward i see IPL taking over March/April/May, England taking over Aug/Sep and Australia taking over Dec/Jan. All other leagues will have to squeeze themselves in between those three leagues
    Nobody cares about cricket in England and BBL is a loss maker and will die soon.

Debut
    Dec 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    exclusivity ?? Pakistan players will play in any and every league. there is no exclusivity about PSL showcasing the best of Pak. In fact one can argue that CPL showcases the best of Pak. PSL showcases best of Pak and also some very mediocre players whereas other Leagues only get the best of Pak
    I'm not sure about the numbers but I think many people who watch IPL also watch PSL. It gets some attention because it showcases the talent pool in Pakistan, which has been isolated in a way. Many people including myself watch it out of curiousity. I honestly don't think other leagues except maybe the BBL gets that kinda attention from the people watching IPL.

So my point is, if Pakistani players start playing in the IPL, it would take the IPL watching crowd (which is huge in number and includes people from across the globe) away from the PSL because PSL wouldn't be offering them anything extra. If there is an exciting young player in the PSL, he probably will be playing in the IPL soon. So nobody is missing anything. IPL will become a true global league and this I think wont be great for PSL's growth although it would be good for Pakistan players and Pakistan cricket.

The IPL, BBL and the ECB's franchise league will rule because of the abundant local talent in these three countries. Other leagues would definitely suffer because they just don't have abundant local talent to make a league unique + high quality.

The South African league has serious potential too because it gives the people from unreserved category a chance to prove their merit and earn a living. There are plenty of them. And it's a wonderful place to play cricket.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    London, England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    529 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Absolutely. PSL needs to be played in Pakistan for it to be considered the 2nd best. Adding another more teams in the future would revenue more interest from the fans. It will hopefully also allow more local players an opportunity to getting drafted. Hopefully by then PCB can fix up the pitches and stadiums.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure about the numbers but I think many people who watch IPL also watch PSL. It gets some attention because it showcases the talent pool in Pakistan, which has been isolated in a way. Many people including myself watch it out of curiousity. I honestly don't think other leagues except maybe the BBL gets that kinda attention from the people watching IPL.

So my point is, if Pakistani players start playing in the IPL, it would take the IPL watching crowd (which is huge in number and includes people from across the globe) away from the PSL because PSL wouldn't be offering them anything extra. If there is an exciting young player in the PSL, he probably will be playing in the IPL soon. So nobody is missing anything. IPL will become a true global league and this I think wont be great for PSL's growth although it would be good for Pakistan players and Pakistan cricket.

The IPL, BBL and the ECB's franchise league will rule because of the abundant local talent in these three countries. Other leagues would definitely suffer because they just don't have abundant local talent to make a league unique + high quality.

The South African league has serious potential too because it gives the people from unreserved category a chance to prove their merit and earn a living. There are plenty of them. And it's a wonderful place to play cricket.
    Yeah, my point was that if you want to watch good Pak talent, you can do on most on any league, BPL, CPL or PSL... even that T10 league had most of Pak players.. So no exclusivity in PSL about showcasing Pak talent

IPL, BBL and ECB will rule, there is no doubt about it. All three countries have abundant local talent and foreign talent won't hesitate to play in these countries.. Once PSL moves to Pak they will find it difficult to get even some of the current foreign talent. But things will improve in few years and by that time IPL, BBL and England Leagues might have gone too far ahead. I also feel cricket craziness in Pak is on a downward trend. I don't think all the matches held in Pak against SL and World IX were sold out. Someone can confirm. If that is the case, it does not bode well for Pak cricket. If Pak is not able to fill stadiums for a T20I that too after years of no cricket, than it just points to one direction, declining interest in the sport. Only excuse could be the poor squads that visited Pak. But remember when PSL moves back to Pak, the squads also will be similar quality. So lets wait and see. But PCB has to definitely move PSL to Pak

Debut
    Mar 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    THB PSL is regressing year by year, I seriously doubt if it's going to happen next year. Pakistan being a cricket crazy country, PSL can be as successful if properly invested, managed and recruit some smart brains to make it happen.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PSL to move to Pak. Will become the second most successful then. Need to convince the top players to come and play in Pak. If a new and visionary government comes in this year then it's certainly achievable. Currently, matches are played in empty stadiums.

PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadBall View Post
    Yeah but if only 10% of people in Pakistan watch the IPL its around 20 million people but the same percentage of Indians watching the PSL would be 130 million. So Indian broadcasters have a lot more incentive broadcasting it in India if there is some interest.
    Thats factually wrong.

Even IPL could only manage to attract 410M viewers throughout the season which is 35% or so of total Indian population. How is PSL going to attract 130M viewers?

At best PSL might get 2-3M (including Kashmiris) or so viewers for the whole season which in itself is huge numbers.

Debut
    Jun 2015
    Venue
    Toronto-Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BPL or CPL are definitely not bigger than PSL. BBL might be but they are actually still generating losses. It might be disputed between BBL and PSL right now but there will be no debate once PSL is played in Pakistan.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MABA View Post
    BPL or CPL are definitely not bigger than PSL. BBL might be but they are actually still generating losses. It might be disputed between BBL and PSL right now but there will be no debate once PSL is played in Pakistan.
    BPL is quite big and plays out in front of passionate crowd. It is quite lucrative money wise too. It will also attract more pak audience as lot pak players participate where in PSL hardly any BD players play making it not so interesting for BD.. So even by TV viewership BPL will be ahead. Not sure about CPL

Debut
    Jun 2015
    Venue
    Toronto-Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BPL is quite big and plays out in front of passionate crowd. It is quite lucrative money wise too. It will also attract more pak audience as lot pak players participate where in PSL hardly any BD players play making it not so interesting for BD.. So even by TV viewership BPL will be ahead. Not sure about CPL
    How can BPL be ahead in TV viewership? Pakistan 200 million people vs 160 in BD, some PSL matches even surpassed Pak vs Ind matches in viewership in pakistan. As far as I know PSL pays more than BPL.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MABA View Post
    How can BPL be ahead in TV viewership? Pakistan 200 million people vs 160 in BD, some PSL matches even surpassed Pak vs Ind matches in viewership in pakistan. As far as I know PSL pays more than BPL.
    BPL has reasonably good viewership in Pak as there are pak stars playing. Other way is not true due to lack of BD players

Debut
    Jun 2015
    Venue
    Toronto-Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BPL might have some viewership in Pak but no way near the amount that you think, you say that it has good viewership but there are no numbers to back it up. I am just letting you know from my personal experience. The average viewer does not watch BPL. Its mostly confined to people who are die hard fans, like the people on this forum. The die hard fans do not make money but rather the average fan.

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    Gondor > The Shire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1509 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    BBL is only a loss maker because of the initial investment costs and taking a small TV rights deal on purpose to maximise coverage.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1400 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    BPL has reasonably good viewership in Pak as there are pak stars playing. Other way is not true due to lack of BD players
    BPL has minimal coverage in Pakistan tbh

Id say in terms of eye balls this is the ranking
    1. PSL
    2. IPL
    3. Friends Life (England t20)
    4. BPL
    5. BBL
    6. CPL (it would have much more if not for time difference issues)

PSL has significantly more id be willing to bet

#MPGA

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slog View Post

1. PSL
    2. IPL

4. BPL
    5. BBL

The delusion must never stop.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Convict View Post
    BBL is only a loss maker because of the initial investment costs and taking a small TV rights deal on purpose to maximise coverage.
    What is the plan going forward? Take a haircut in terms of lower broadcast right and stay free to air? Or capitalize fully on the goodwill and maximize revenue?

Given the popularity of BBL I'd think even a FTA deal should be north of 50 million a year?

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    PSL does have the timezone advantage when it comes to wooing Indian audiences. But aside from that, not much of a pull. Why?

First, Indian audiences would be saturated with IPL. There are things about IPL that Indian audiences love (the glamor quotient of film stars, cheerleaders) that cannot be replicated by PSL.

Second, to overcome the handicap above, PSL would have to be a league of exceptionally high quality cricket which is not happening in foreseeable future.

Thirdly, it's likely the Indians team would have international engagements overlapping with the PSL, sucking out any remnant interest in the league.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how cpl above psl. where tunveer had a lion as allrounder(last year i think). and in psl he counted only as a bowler?

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1400 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
    The delusion must never stop.
    whats the delusion?

you seriously think theres more people watching IPL in Pakistan than PSL

How thick or deluded must you be to seriously believe that

#MPGA

Debut
    Apr 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

1. PSL
    2. IPL
    4. BPL
    5. BBL

Do you know how many spectators per match.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    whats the delusion?

you seriously think theres more people watching IPL in Pakistan than PSL

How thick or deluded must you be to seriously believe that
    Whilst my post was written under the impression that you were mentioning global figures, I'll wait for you to provide me figures about PSL being watched more than IPL, in Pakistan. I remember some local cricket in pakistan being rescheduled because it clashed with IPL timings.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1400 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Whilst my post was written under the impression that you were mentioning global figures, I'll wait for you to provide me figures about PSL being watched more than IPL, in Pakistan. I remember some local cricket in pakistan being rescheduled because it clashed with IPL timings.
    that was some local regional cricket match not PSL.

There obv wont be exact figures but some PSL matches had more viewing figures than Pak-Ind matches. Unless you think that IPL is being watched more than Pak-Ind matches in Pakistan (in which case you have other more, pressing issues to worry about) then there isnt much of a case for even considering what you think.

Currently IPL is not even shown in Pakistan btw unless you have Indian channels like Sony which used to show it last i checked. PSL is on 3 different channels with dozen or so having daily shows on it
    Last edited by Slog; 6th March 2018 at 14:15.

#MPGA

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    PSL obviously has more viewership in Pakistan compared to the IPL, but people in Pakistan care about the IPL more than what some people here like to think.

PPers do not represent the general population - IPL is a hit in Pakistan and will continue to be so.
    Last edited by UN talkz; 6th March 2018 at 15:28.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    that was some local regional cricket match not PSL.

There obv wont be exact figures but some PSL matches had more viewing figures than Pak-Ind matches. Unless you think that IPL is being watched more than Pak-Ind matches in Pakistan (in which case you have other more, pressing issues to worry about) then there isnt much of a case for even considering what you think.

Currently IPL is not even shown in Pakistan btw unless you have Indian channels like Sony which used to show it last i checked. PSL is on 3 different channels with dozen or so having daily shows on it
    Surely there would be some way to obtain figures when some local pakistani channel broadcast IPL (geo?) and the viewership for the same? It can be compared to the current viewership stats being generated by PSL. The fact about local Pakistani match being rescheduled is not an insignificant one, tells me there's a LOT of appetite for IPL in pakistan.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1400 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    PSL obviously has more viewership in Pakistan compared to the IPL, but people in Pakistan care about the IPL more than what some people here like to think.

PPers do not represent the general population - IPL is a hit in Pakistan and will continue to be so.
    Obviously its watched and I believe probably 2nd most watched league despite no Pak players

However in my observation not many people follow it as such. As in they wouldnt know which team stands where and what are their chances to progress to semis and finals (or playoffs whatever the format). It seems more like people just tune it to watch top international players hit fours and sizes.

When I was in the US I would see some posters here make the claim that somehow some people in Pak are crazy about IPL but Ive been back home for 2+ years and I havent seen any craze as such. Forget me or well off people, even the middle class or lower middle class doesnt follow it game by game. Its just something to watch part of at night and switch your mind off a bit.

For PSL, there are public screenings, 20 different TV shows on it, promotional offers by restaurants etc etc.

So yeah there is such a gulf between the viewership and interest between the two leagues in Pakistan that its not even a comparison.
    Last edited by UN talkz; 6th March 2018 at 15:30.

#MPGA

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1400 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Surely there would be some way to obtain figures when some local pakistani channel broadcast IPL (geo?) and the viewership for the same? It can be compared to the current viewership stats being generated by PSL. The fact about local Pakistani match being rescheduled is not an insignificant one, tells me there's a LOT of appetite for IPL in pakistan.
    Maybe there is. You can search and share.

Its such a ridiculous claim to me personally that I dont see any point in making that effort.

That incident is from when there was no PSL so there was no competing product.

Geo I dont think has rights for ipl now. Dont think any Pak channel has rights now so only way i remember was if your local cable guy put on sony sports illegally. PSL has changed the game for Pak sports broadcasting

#MPGA

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    Gondor > The Shire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1509 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    What is the plan going forward? Take a haircut in terms of lower broadcast right and stay free to air? Or capitalize fully on the goodwill and maximize revenue?

Given the popularity of BBL I'd think even a FTA deal should be north of 50 million a year?
    Easily. No way they will get less than 100 million a year.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The OP seems to have run off after people called him out for ranking the CPL above the PSL lol Weak trolling.

Anyway, someone here mentioned increased coverage if the top 2 PSL sides played the top 2 IPL sides, which takes me back to the champions league format that occurred a while back, when top t20 sides from various countries faced each other.

Now that there are 3 settled leagues, and then you have the bang and wi leagues, why not have the top 2 from each nation in a champions league style tournament? It can be held over a quick 2 week period and doesnt have to be every year. In the coming years, the ECB will also set up a franchise based tournament so their teams can be included.

It would bring some much needed international cohesion but I can see the BCCI causing problems if Pak sides are included.

Debut
    Jun 2015
    Venue
    Srinagar
    Runs
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by barah_admi View Post
    The OP seems to have run off after people called him out for ranking the CPL above the PSL lol Weak trolling.

Anyway, someone here mentioned increased coverage if the top 2 PSL sides played the top 2 IPL sides, which takes me back to the champions league format that occurred a while back, when top t20 sides from various countries faced each other.

Now that there are 3 settled leagues, and then you have the bang and wi leagues, why not have the top 2 from each nation in a champions league style tournament? It can be held over a quick 2 week period and doesnt have to be every year. In the coming years, the ECB will also set up a franchise based tournament so their teams can be included.

It would bring some much needed international cohesion but I can see the BCCI causing problems if Pak sides are included.
    Won't happen unless IPL teams have guaranteed SF position. IPL teams getting kicked out early killed champions league

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    470 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Convict View Post
    This was incredibly smart by CA. They played the long game and have succeeded in making cricket relevant again in Australia outside of Ashes.

Debut
    Feb 2018
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adijazz1706 View Post
    Won't happen unless IPL teams have guaranteed SF position. IPL teams getting kicked out early killed champions league
    Grandiose delusions!

IPL teams won 4 out of 6 editions, the rest 2 were won by BBL teams. 7 out of 12 finalists were IPL teams. Both finalists in each of the last 2 editions were IPL teams. Lol @ IPL teams getting kicked out.

Just wikipedia-ed it coz I like many other folks never bothered to watch a single game - probably the reason why the league was discontinued.
    Last edited by BreadPakoda; 6th March 2018 at 18:20.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1400 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JattMaula View Post
    This was incredibly smart by CA. They played the long game and have succeeded in making cricket relevant again in Australia outside of Ashes.
    Do you agree with this @Convict?

to me this has legs. for years (2008 onwards) I used to hear every month about death of cricket in Aus but you dont anymore with so much involvement in bbl

#MPGA

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Do you agree with this @Convict?

to me this has legs. for years (2008 onwards) I used to hear every month about death of cricket in Aus but you dont anymore with so much involvement in bbl
    He is being delusional. Viewership in OZ is diversified to the point BBL will get a fraction of the eyes. It is not a $100 million tv deal league don't make me laugh.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7430 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    How do you know that? How would an Indian know anything about what the Pakistani audience likes to watch lmao? Find it hilarious how you're making stuff up and passing it off as facts.

Nobody cares about BPL even with Pakistani players playing in it.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2070 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    The Karachi-Lahore match in the PSL last year had more viewership than the India-Pakistan WC clash in 2015.

The PSL is a huge success for the actual people it is intended for.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who cares about IPL.I dont thinks so.I live here and see people.They only care about PSL now.
    Of course people watch it but it is not that popular i think.

Debut
    Nov 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    As soon as it move to Pakistan and quality of camera being used is at par with the rest of the world then it will be the second most lucrative cricket league in the world.

Debut
    Nov 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Look at you, you had to put down Pakistan, day doesn't begin unless that is done.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7430 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DRsohail View Post
    Who cares about IPL.I dont thinks so.I live here and see people.They only care about PSL now.
    Of course people watch it but it is not that popular i think.
    True, most people who watch IPL are casual fans, it doesn't create any buzz and hype. You don't see any social media trends about the matches or people supporting any teams etc when IPL or BPL is going on.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Devil View Post
    True, most people who watch IPL are casual fans, it doesn't create any buzz and hype. You don't see any social media trends about the matches or people supporting any teams etc when IPL or BPL is going on.
    Yes its like you watch it while eating in restaurant etc.Then forget about the match.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by barah_admi View Post

The BCCI/IPL have already stated that they are no longer interested in CL and want no part in it.

CL can still be done. There are 8 other leagues/local T20 champions (BBL, PSL, CPL, BPL, SA, NZ, Eng, SL). A short and sweet 8 team consisting of the champions from each could work. Another option is to have the two finalist from each league for a 16 team CL.

But someone needs to take leadership and ownership to get things moving. Who is the big question.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Chicago
    Runs
    Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    IPL is a very long tournament and there is no appetite for CL or other T20 league among Indian crowds. They are the ones who make a difference.

At the end of the day it's not the number of people in the stadium that rakes in big bucks. It's the television rights. Unless you capture the Indian crowd, u are going to be a 2nd tier league

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Chicago
    Runs
    Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    The Karachi-Lahore match in the PSL last year had more viewership than the India-Pakistan WC clash in 2015.

The PSL is a huge success for the actual people it is intended for.
    I'm guessing you are indicating the viewership in Pakistan only.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2070 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rhony View Post
    I'm guessing you are indicating the viewership in Pakistan only.
    Yes obviously

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PSL has potential. IPL is on another level but BBL/CPL/BPL/PSL can all fight for second spot.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    372 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Why not? It would have been already if Pakistan was safe for home games.

"If this happens I will swim across the Charles River! In winter!" -- OZGOD on NZ batting 6 sessions

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like to bat for BPL as our economy is much stronger than Pakistan's. Esp projecting into 2025-2030. We are enjoying 7%+ growth and exports are high. PSL will not be able to compete with BPL in resource terms.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1400 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bujhee kom View Post
    I would like to bat for BPL as our economy is much stronger than Pakistan's. Esp projecting into 2025-2030. We are enjoying 7%+ growth and exports are high. PSL will not be able to compete with BPL in resource terms.

'much stronger' is a fantasy at this point

Pakistan has a greater cricketing culture and is the superior team even now (lets not talk historically to make it a fair comparison)

Only thing BPL has going for it at this point is its played at home but that has some other downsides. Some players dont wanna go there like KP

#MPGA

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I said 2025-30 to allow for future proofing. Bd with 7% growth and Pk with anemic 2-3% growth are on different paths.

Any projections out there?

Debut
    Dec 2005
    Venue
    Sharjah, U.A.E
    Runs
    Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did someone just say IPL has more viewership in Pakistan as compared to PSL? How daft can you be to even think of such an absurd claim?

99.9% Pakistanis do not care about the IPL, fact.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bujhee kom View Post
    I said 2025-30 to allow for future proofing. Bd with 7% growth and Pk with anemic 2-3% growth are on different paths.

Any projections out there?
    Its not about economical growth only ,Its about viwership and quality of cricket.Once PSL moves to pakistan you will see the rise though t is still better than BPL.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Usman Chadda View Post
    Did someone just say IPL has more viewership in Pakistan as compared to PSL? How daft can you be to even think of such an absurd claim?

99.9% Pakistanis do not care about the IPL, fact.
    Yes some delusional posters ..

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    Motown
    Runs
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm surprised the same Indians who always stress the amount of 'revenue' BCCI makes are comfortable in saying BPL is better than PSL. Someone remind these guys BPL is the only league that has player payment issues in more than 2 seasons.

PSL pays better than all leagues bar IPL and pays on time. We all know the empty stadiums are because the league can't be played at home and the games are low scoring mainly due to the pitches. This is not how the league will stay for ever and this will change once it moves home.

Anyone emphasizing the lack of aggressive batting from local Pakistan talent should keep in mind that the 'better' foreign batsmen have also been a no show, other than Ronchi (so far). If the claim of Pakistani batsmen not being good enough had weight, then we would see the foreign "attacking" "modern-day" players like McCullum, Smith, Russel, KP, Watson, Pollard, etc..overshadow the Pakistani batsmen in EVERY game.

Debut
    May 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    It is absurd to claim IPL has no following in Pakistan. I personally know plenty of individuals who watch the IPL. If I were to make an estimate then among those people who watch cricket actively in Pakistan(and that is a much lower demographic than some think) 1 in 10 follow the IPL to an extent. The rest of the viewership comes from the Barber shops and dhaabas of Pakistan. They don't necessarily have any interest in the IPL they just switch to whatever interesting is on, they'll watch the BPL, BBL and CPL or whatever league when it's on though they will enjoy the IPL more since it features players they know about or have heard of. PSL though is followed by a lot more people. Not only the active cricket viewers watch it but also the seasonal fans who usually just tune in for the World events show up for it. So all in all I'd say the viewership of the IPL in Pakistan is about 5-10% of the PSL viewership.

Debut
    Jun 2015
    Venue
    Srinagar
    Runs
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fahdi View Post
    It is absurd to claim IPL has no following in Pakistan. I personally know plenty of individuals who watch the IPL. If I were to make an estimate then among those people who watch cricket actively in Pakistan(and that is a much lower demographic than some think) 1 in 10 follow the IPL to an extent. The rest of the viewership comes from the Barber shops and dhaabas of Pakistan. They don't necessarily have any interest in the IPL they just switch to whatever interesting is on, they'll watch the BPL, BBL and CPL or whatever league when it's on though they will enjoy the IPL more since it features players they know about or have heard of. PSL though is followed by a lot more people. Not only the active cricket viewers watch it but also the seasonal fans who usually just tune in for the World events show up for it. So all in all I'd say the viewership of the IPL in Pakistan is about 5-10% of the PSL viewership.
    5% is fair enough, some were claiming IPL is watched more than PSL which is hilariously delusional

Debut
    Feb 2018
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    5% is fair enough, some were claiming IPL is watched more than PSL which is hilariously delusional
    If 1% watch or not in Pak doesn't matter, IPL grown beyond expectations in last 10 years. If not even single person from Pak watches doesn't make iota of difference for IPL popularity ..No thanks brothers