Dec 2016
    Venue
    Jeddah
    Runs
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"I am still undecided about going to Pakistan for the latter stages of PSL" : Shane Watson

Veteran all-rounder Shane Watson is leading the way with the bat for Quetta Gladiators in this year's Pakistan Super League so far.

So what's the secret of playing in your mid-thirties, how does he rate Sarfaraz Ahmed's captaincy and what's it like to be playing alongside Kevin Pietersen again? Saj Sadiq asked the Australian these questions and more - but started off with one of the hottest stories of the week…

What's your view on the recent David Warner and Quinton de Kock incident during the first Test in Durban?

Shane: It was an unfortunate incident. There was obviously something going on between the players on the field from both sides which manifested itself in the over-reaction that happened later. I am sure despite what happened in Durban, both sides will continue to compete hard on the field for the rest of the series and to do as well as they can. Regardless of whose fault it is, it's never good when such feelings spill over between players off the field.

You are currently competing in the Pakistan Super League for Quetta Gladiators, how does the quality of cricket in the PSL compare to other tournaments you have played in?

Shane: There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that the PSL is a very tough tournament and the quality of the players involved in the tournament is brilliant too. There is incredible talent on show from the local Pakistani players. As we have seen, every team has high-quality fast-bowlers with some brilliant spin options which have always been a feature of Pakistan cricket as well. Then there is amazing firepower among some very talented Pakistan batters as well. We also have some outstanding foreign players in the PSL who really need to be on top of their game if they wish to perform in this tournament which in itself is a great challenge for them.

What is the main attraction of the PSL for an overseas player like yourself?

Shane: I have no doubt that the PSL is already one of the best leagues in the world. We are in the third year of the tournament and you can also tell how much it is appreciated by simply looking at the calibre and quality of the overseas players who are playing in it. If the quality of the tournament was suspect, then the quality of players we have here would not have come over from overseas and played in it.

It is also an incredibly well-run tournament and the quality of cricket being played here is very tough. That, in turn, is an excellent thing not just for the players as they are challenged to perform against other top-quality players, but it's also an amazing experience for all those watching this tournament as they get to see some high-quality cricket as well.

How has the move from 2016 PSL winners Islamabad United to Quetta Gladiators been for you?

Shane: It's been great fun to have moved to a new franchise and to take on a fresh challenge. It's always an exciting prospect to move to a new environment and meet new people and to play alongside some players who you have played against in the earlier editions of the tournament.

I played against Kevin Pietersen in the last PSL tournament and now it's an honour and a pleasure to play alongside him for Quetta Gladiators. We did play together for a couple of weeks in Hampshire in 2005 so it's good to be back in the same team as Kevin. And of course, to be in the same changing room as the great man Viv Richards is truly a dream come true for me. Those two players are just the starting points of the reason why my move to Quetta has been so enjoyable.

How would you describe Sarfaraz Ahmed's captaincy in the PSL?

Shane: Sarfaraz Ahmed has been excellent in the way he is leading Quetta. I feel that he does have a great feel for the game and that is what he does very well. He has great energy for the game and projects that enthusiasm on the team, regardless of whether he is coming into bat or when he is in the field. He is always moving forward and doesn't delve into what's already happened and quite honestly, it's been a great experience playing under his captaincy.

Are you satisfied with Quetta Gladiator's progress so far?

Shane: We obviously will need to learn from the mistakes that we made in the first half of the tournament. I do not believe we bowled particularly well all of the time so that did hurt us a bit. Also, our batting has been a little bit inconsistent but that happens in Twenty20 cricket. We will now be working very hard to get our consistency back, especially in batting, and take it from there. I feel that we have a very talented squad and there is no reason why we can't just all bring it together in the next few games and make it to the quarter-finals.

If Quetta Gladiators qualify for the final stages of the PSL will you travel to Pakistan?

Shane: At this point in time, the most important objective is for all of us to help Quetta Gladiators qualify for the eliminators and then on to the final of the tournament. We still have a few more games to go so there is some more cricket to be played before we get to Pakistan. At this point in time, I am still undecided. Obviously, the decision point will come in a couple of weeks and that decision isn't so much my own as it is my family's who are the most important part of my life. So, we will see how it goes but the most important thing here is for us to make sure that Quetta gets to the final in Karachi.

Do you agree with the recent decision of some players to give up on playing red-ball cricket and opt only for white-ball contracts?

Shane:
    There is no doubt that playing just the Twenty20 cricket format is definitely a big draw for the young players at the moment. However, my recommendation and advice to them is that they have plenty of time to play in this type of cricket during their careers. The ultimate form of the game for cricketers in my view is Test cricket and to perform at the Test level is the truest test of a cricketer's skill and ability.

Test cricket will challenge your cricketing skills and will also be a supreme test of your mental and physical abilities as well. Playing Test cricket will help a player judge his skills against the very best players from around the world. Having said that, there is no doubt that there is an option and an opportunity nowadays to play just league based Twenty20 cricket for many players. If you have been lucky enough to play Test cricket then that is excellent, but there is now a chance to play world-class Twenty20 cricket all over the world, albeit without having to play for your country.

You are 36 years old and still performing so well; what's the secret?

Shane: Well, if the truth be told, I am very fortunate that I am still playing the game! I love this game and my passion for this game has not waned whatsoever even though I am not a young kid these days. I feel that I am incredibly fortunate that I am playing cricket professionally. I am lucky to be getting the opportunity to play franchise-based Twenty20 cricket in some top-quality tournament such as the PSL. Also having the chance to spend quality time with my family on the side of such tournaments makes me feel that I am getting the best of both worlds which is brilliant for me.

Twenty20 cricket was supposed to be a young person's game wasn't it, but we have the likes of Kumar Sangakkara, Imran Tahir and yourself doing so well in this format around the world?

Shane: We must not forget that Twenty20 cricket, like any other form of cricket is a skill-based game. Of course, the young guys who have the skills and energy will perform well in this game. But, then when it matters, it really comes down to the skills and match experience which the older players will have in abundance. Also having senior players in the team always helps the younger cricketers learn and come through as better players as well. Yes, the younger players do provide incredible energy to the game which the spectators also note but the experience of the older players should not be underestimated and is vital in my opinion.

http://www.skysports.com/cricket/new...evin-pietersen
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 7th March 2018 at 13:06.

We will never surrender. We win or we die. And don't think it stops there. You will have the next generation to fight; and after the next, the next.

OMAR MUKHTAR

Debut
    Sep 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The decision is on his family, another way of saying he wouldn't go to pakistan if they make the final. Clearly whatever contract was spoken about before where if players take part in the PSL will tour pakistan was not set in concrete. They've pretty much got to take the whole of PSL to Pakistan, and that will tell you the players you have to work with, otherwise this is always going to happen.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shokz1408 View Post
    The decision is on his family, another way of saying he wouldn't go to pakistan if they make the final. Clearly whatever contract was spoken about before where if players take part in the PSL will tour pakistan was not set in concrete. They've pretty much got to take the whole of PSL to Pakistan, and that will tell you the players you have to work with, otherwise this is always going to happen.
    I think it has lot more to do with QG management. KP & SW must have already told QG that they are undecided (or decided not to go to Pakistan in case of KP). If franchise is ok with it then nothing much one can do. If franchise are so keen that their main players should play in Pakistan then they should go for the players which are likely to make the comitment.

Team Pakistan

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1585 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    An absolute professional and as he says, T20 is a lot about using ones experience as well. Good to see him do well for Quetta.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Venue
    Jeddah
    Runs
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "I am still undecided about going to Pakistan for later stages of PSL" : Shane Watson

This will hurt more than KP if he withdraws
    Atleast KP is crystal clear about his stance

We will never surrender. We win or we die. And don't think it stops there. You will have the next generation to fight; and after the next, the next.

OMAR MUKHTAR

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Between Rawalpindi and Hobart
    Runs
    Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This is all about money, we should stop pretending otherwise

Its a lot harder to convince these superstars who already loaded as compared to some other players.

"Last time Uganda toured Canada, half their team ran away to start a new life" - cricfan967

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1406 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Quetta could have the same scenario as last time when their overseas players opted out of playing in Pakistan #Phateechar

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly I think QG management arnt good enough at persuading them, like afridi di with peshawar in the last season. You cannot just give up like that.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1585 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Seems Watson really enjoying batting with KP as he mentioned in the interview also

Name:  19.jpg
Views: 2038
Size:  39.3 KB

Debut
    Jun 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Railukatta players all over again...

Quetta need to approach Gayle for playoffs...
    Last edited by UN talkz; 9th March 2018 at 10:48.

Debut
    Jun 2008
    Venue
    Moscow, Russia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He won't go for sure.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's been QG's best batsman and best bowler as well.
    Best overseas player this season in PSL.
    If he refuses to visit Pakistan, QG's hearts might get broken again.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Atleast Watson worded it nicely.

Having said that its absolutely pathetic from Quetta Gladiators management for signing these players again. They will go to the final stage only to be completely undone when the likes of Rayad Emrit, Sean Ervine etc turn up to play for them.

Why don't they learn?
    Last edited by MenInG; 10th March 2018 at 04:57.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1585 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM1989 View Post
    Atleast Watson worded it nicely.

Having said that its absolutely pathetic from Quetta Gladiators management for signing these players again. They will go to the final stage only to be completely undone when the likes of Rayad Emrit, Sean Ervine etc turn up to play for them.

Why don't they learn?
    The issue is that they want to GET to the final.

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watson is just waiting to see if they can qualify for the finals. If they don't , he can spare the decision revealing and escape from Pak fans' wrath.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1585 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WengerOut View Post
    Watson is just waiting to see if they can qualify for the finals. If they don't , he can spare the decision revealing and escape from Pak fans' wrath.
    No one should be angry with him. His decision and it should be respected.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    No one should be angry with him. His decision and it should be respected.
    His decision will be accepted but no love or respect will be shown. We are fed up of all these nakhre by these entitled has beens.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1585 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    His decision will be accepted but no love or respect will be shown. We are fed up of all these nakhre by these entitled has beens.
    Then dont invite them to PSL to play. We asked them to come and probably couldnt be bothered to put proper clauses in their contracts. We wanted to make money on TV rights due to the entertainment they provided and no one really cared if they would go to Pak or not.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Then dont invite them to PSL to play. We asked them to come and probably couldnt be bothered to put proper clauses in their contracts. We wanted to make money on TV rights due to the entertainment they provided and no one really cared if they would go to Pak or not.
    Yes its the stupidity of the franchises and the PCB. If you want TV viewership to remain high then hold all matches in UAE so that these star players are willing to turn up and we have a high quality playoff stage. Otherwise it becomes faysal bank t20 in the last stage.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to agree.

It's unacceptable to believe lesser known overseas players are all willing to play in Pakistan for money and exposure. But the ones who do not really need it don't want to go.

It's attitude like this that will not allow Pakistan to ever host a home series against a top 4 nation because the players in these countries do not consider touring Pakistan as worth their while even if the money is good

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aap bhi na ao. I think it's best not to even have a final. Just give the trophy to the highest ranked team in the gropu stages before the UAE leg of the tournament ends

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Yes its the stupidity of the franchises and the PCB. If you want TV viewership to remain high then hold all matches in UAE so that these star players are willing to turn up and we have a high quality playoff stage. Otherwise it becomes faysal bank t20 in the last stage.
    You can understand the desire to move the tournament to Pakistan though, while it's held in empty stadiums in Dubai, it's not going to ever really catch the imagination which you need to grow the tournament to the level of others.

I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman

Debut
    Jun 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Let's be real and honest with our selves, he's not undecided.

Anybody that isn't ok with going to Pakistan after seeing all the security efforts and clearances by now, won't be ok with it anytime soon. They've made up their minds.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gotham Cronie View Post

Anybody that isn't ok with going to Pakistan after seeing all the security efforts and clearances by now, won't be ok with it anytime soon. They've made up their minds.
    Ofcourse, he is just being diplomatic. The franchises should have approached the World XI squad first, as it would have given them a pool of players willing to play in Pakistan.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    983 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ofcourse, he is just being diplomatic. The franchises should have approached the World XI squad first, as it would have given them a pool of players willing to play in Pakistan.
    I think most of the World XI squad have been busy with their international commitment. However, some could’ve been approached for sure.

Overall, its been huge mess, first Sethi issued a statement that any foreign player selected for PSL must visit Pakistan, now we are hearing that some of the players have pulled out of latter stages.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post

Lol Nadeem Umar got taken for a ride.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gotham Cronie View Post

Pakistan successfully hosted Zimbabwe in 2015, successfully hosted the PSL Final in 2016, successfully hosted the World Eleven tour in 2017, Successfully hosted the Sri Lanka T-20 in 2017.

You can't force foreigners to play in Pakistan at gunpoint but if left to these foreigners, Western boards and Inda, if given the choice, regardless of the quality of the security arrangements or not and the credibility of the security arragements they will never play in Pakistan.

The first step the PCB should do is to demand that anyone team who refuses to tour Pakistan and demands to play in neutral venues should foot the bill themselves of the cost of hosting in neutral venues.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is spot on. PEOPLE HERE DONT WANT TO UNDERSTAND IT. they are just blaming those players.

Debut
    Sep 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When in 2-3 years all games are played in pakistan, only that will determine who is truly willing to visit pakistan.

By next year however, they should prepare written contracts, and not select any of the international stars from this year who were not willing to tour pakistan. With half the games in pakistan in PSL4, it becomes doubly important to make the right selections.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    PSL Franchise owners and the PCB need to speak to the wives and even family members of the players to fully drive home the point.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    Pakistan successfully hosted Zimbabwe in 2015, successfully hosted the PSL Final in 2016, successfully hosted the World Eleven tour in 2017, Successfully hosted the Sri Lanka T-20 in 2017.

You can't force foreigners to play in Pakistan at gunpoint but if left to these foreigners, Western boards and Inda, if given the choice, regardless of the quality of the security arrangements or not and the credibility of the security arragements they will never play in Pakistan.

The first step the PCB should do is to demand that anyone team who refuses to tour Pakistan and demands to play in neutral venues should foot the bill themselves of the cost of hosting in neutral venues.
    Or simply they will call off the tour. You cant force someone to tour Pakistan or make them pay PCB to host them at neutral venue.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianG00se View Post
    Or simply they will call off the tour. You cant force someone to tour Pakistan or make them pay PCB to host them at neutral venue.
    Actually the PCB needs to take a stand especially when they have proven their ability to host Cricket in Pakistan with credible security arrangements from 2015 to 2017 and thereby the concerns of the Foreign players are now unfounded. If the Western Boards and Western players demand that Pakistan play its domestic games outside Pakistan then they should either foot the bill or play in Pakistan.

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Venue
    Jeddah
    Runs
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shane Watson :

"Hi to all Quetta Gladiators fans and thanks for your incredible support so far"

"Its been an incredible franchise to play for"

"The support we have had has helped us qualify for the final stages"

"But, it will be with a heavy heart I will be leaving the team"

"Its been an extremely tough decison with my family, with mine and my wife's mum and dad to work through this decision"

"I really do appreciate your support in understanding my decision"

"I wish everyone the best of luck for the final few games"

"We've got a great squad and support staff and I'm confident that we will go all the way,thank you and all the best"
    Last edited by UN talkz; 19th March 2018 at 11:12.

OMAR MUKHTAR

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UN talkz View Post

Shane Watson :

"Hi to all Quetta Gladiators fans and thanks for your incredible support so far"

"Its been an incredible franchise to play for"

"The support we have had has helped us qualify for the final stages"

"But, it will be with a heavy heart I will be leaving the team"

"Its been an extremely tough decison with my family, with my and my wife's mum and dad to work through this decision"

"I really do appreciate your support in understanding my decision"

"I wish everyone the best of luck for the final few games"

"We've got a great squad and support staff and I'm confident that we will go all the way,thank you and all the best"
    No surprises there. Quetta Gladiators are complete buffoons.

Debut
    Aug 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Every player has a right to play where and when they want

But players don't have a right to hold a team hostage till the last minute. Absolutely no reason why Watson couldn't have decided a month ago whether he wanted to go to Pakistan or not

PSL needs to do a better job understanding which players are comfortable coming to Pakistan before the player selection process begins

Not only does it dramatically change the dynamics of the game, but it's also embarrassing to go thru this every year... as a Pakistani

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by coy0607 View Post
    Every player has a right to play where and when they want

But players don't have a right to hold a team hostage till the last minute. Absolutely no reason why Watson couldn't have decided a month ago whether he wanted to go to Pakistan or not

PSL needs to do a better job understanding which players are comfortable coming to Pakistan before the player selection process begins

Not only does it dramatically change the dynamics of the game, but it's also embarrassing to go thru this every year... as a Pakistani
    Yes very unethical of him to do this. He deserves any hate tweets thrown his way.

Debut
    Aug 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont have a problem with him not going, I have a problem with him humming and hawing and then at last minute to say no, The franchise has the headache to go through picking another available player who is willing to go to pakistan or not. At least I can respect KP, he said from the beginning he wasnt going and that was that, Quetta knew what they were in for when they signed him but Watson gave false illusions that he might go, He told the owner that he was willing to go until the last minute.

If its safe for other aussies like Tim Payne and George Bailey (World XI) then isnt it safe for Watson?

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Venue
    Jeddah
    Runs
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OMAR MUKHTAR

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UN talkz View Post
    He can keep his "best wishes" to himself.

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    He can keep his "best wishes" to himself.
    Fake odd character. Should not have been given 3 seasons worth of money.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1380 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat_Track_Bully View Post
    Fake odd character. Should not have been given 3 seasons worth of money.
    I hope this was his last season

#Mein inko rolaonga

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    I hope this was his last season
    Probably is thats why he pulled out. Why be a maybe. Should have said no from the start then wouldnt have been picked. Retirement fund for Watson shamless character. At least KP said he wasn't going from the start.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1380 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat_Track_Bully View Post
    Probably is thats why he pulled out. Why be a maybe. Should have said no from the start then wouldnt have been picked. Retirement fund for Watson shamless character. At least KP said he wasn't going from the start.
    And it's not like other Aussies aren't going.

I'm just happy that most of the foreigners are travelling this time as compared to last time.

#Mein inko rolaonga

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like he's playing match winning innings in IPL final.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What an innings..reserved his best for this...