Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1678 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)

“It is very much feasible to organise PSL in Pakistan" : Wasim Akram

DUBAI: Pakistan bowling legend and Multan Sultan technical director Wasim Akram is confident that the Pakistan Super League (PSL) will take cricket back to Pakistan.

“PCB chairman Najm Sethi has done a fantastic job. I am sure not only we will take PSL back to where it belongs but also take cricket back to Pakistan through PSL.

“It is very much feasible to organise PSL in Pakistan. We have a great infrastructure to hold any cricket event in Pakistan,” said Akram.

“We have stadia at Karachi, Lahore, Rawalpindi, Islamabad and Multan. You name the city and we have one stadium there. People of Pakistan love cricket. They breathe cricket. They live cricket. They have a passion for the game,” asserted the former pacer.

Pakistan has been deprived of international cricket since a terrorist attack on Sri Lanka cricket team bus in Lahore in 2008.

Akram also advocated the idea of holding the PSL final in Karachi. PCB chief Sethi has been emphasizing on hosting the final in Karachi. But according the media reports, the Karachi stadium is not in the condition to host big events. The last international match held there was over a decade ago. However the renovation work is under way.

“Yes, I think it is a great idea to host the PSL final in Karachi. It is a city of 22 million people. It is buzzing. It is happening. Let the people of Karachi have their share of pie as well,” he added.

Akram was speaking on the sidelines of an event – organise by Box Office – held to announce his association with an online cricket application Cricingif in Dubai.

Akram was all praise for captain Shoaib Malik and coach Tom Moody. Sultan are a new franchise of the PSL. They made their debut in the third edition of the league. But with an impressive performance they are on the top of the six-team league.

They have won four, lost two while one game was washed out due to rain that took their points tally to nine in seven matches.

“The whole credit goes to captain and coach Moody. We picked up one of the best captain of the Twenty20 cricket. He has done an awesome job. Players are getting along well and everyone is doing his job,” he informed.

“Moody is an excellent coach. He is a seasoned campaigner and knows how to get the best outbid the players.”

Akram also asserted the need for the revival of Indo-Pak bilateral series for the betterment of cricket. The cricketing ties between the two Asian neighbours have snapped for over a decade owing to political tension between the two countries.

“Pakistan is always ready to play India anywhere in the world. It is about the government of the two countries. But I think it is imperative for the betterment of cricket that the Asian giants start playing each other,” said Akram.

“An India-Pakistan match is a high octane, pressure cooker game. I don’t think any cricketing event generates so much excitement and pressure as a match between the two countries.

“I can vividly recall the kind of pressure that we felt in every game against India. It is not that the pressure is on that particular day but we used to feel it one month in advance,” he added.

“Ashes is watched by around 20 million people where as an India-Pakistan match is watched by one billion people. SO I feel pity for the player today. I am fortunate to have played in those series,” he concluded.

http://www.gulftoday.ae/portal/6ebbc...8998af61a.aspx

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1543 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    It's not only feasible rather it's the only way forward. Today or tomorrow PSL has to come in PAK - better it be early. Obviously, PAK Govt. has to protect the tournament with necessary preparation - after that, whoever still is not willing to go to PAK, probably won't go in any case.

SAF still managed to continue the game and keep their standard at highest level despite 20+ years of complete isolation, because of their strong domestic system and because that game didn't die among people. PAK's situation is much better than SAF, still ...... PSL should be the start of a up-ward spiral.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Master of obvious. ofcourse, it is feasible to organize it.. but his talk about having great infrastructure is clearly false.. Most of the stadiums look like they are from 80s/90s and in dire need of renovation. Nothing that a few billion rupees can't fix

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1543 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gubol123 View Post
    Master of obvious. ofcourse, it is feasible to organize it.. but his talk about having great infrastructure is clearly false.. Most of the stadiums look like they are from 80s/90s and in dire need of renovation. Nothing that a few billion rupees can't fix
    It's mis-management, more than any thing else. For great cricket, first thing you need is a quality wicket and fast, large out-field; which doesn't need in billions. Obviously, it's great to play any sports in a stadium like Cowboy's Arlington stadium or Falcon's Atlanta stadium, but even without that it can run. WHAT CAN'T RUN is to have an impressive ground (like the Photoshop job of Rafi stadium), then play cricket on the Gaddafi wicket, which was used for last PSL Final.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MMHS View Post
    It's mis-management, more than any thing else. For great cricket, first thing you need is a quality wicket and fast, large out-field; which doesn't need in billions. Obviously, it's great to play any sports in a stadium like Cowboy's Arlington stadium or Falcon's Atlanta stadium, but even without that it can run. WHAT CAN'T RUN is to have an impressive ground (like the Photoshop job of Rafi stadium), then play cricket on the Gaddafi wicket, which was used for last PSL Final.
    You are right, for the basic infra to improve PCB does not need billions. But i was responding to what Wasim was alluding to. He was saying Pak has great infrastructure, which is not currently true. To be honest even during the India tour of Pak in 2006 or so, the pitches and stadiums looked ancient.. I remember in one of the matches commentators saying that the players are not willing to dive down near the boundary line due to poor outfields..

To build up the kind of infrastructure that a he is alluding to, PCB will need billions

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    208 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are right, for the basic infra to improve PCB does not need billions. But i was responding to what Wasim was alluding to. He was saying Pak has great infrastructure, which is not currently true. To be honest even during the India tour of Pak in 2006 or so, the pitches and stadiums looked ancient.. I remember in one of the matches commentators saying that the players are not willing to dive down near the boundary line due to poor outfields..

To build up the kind of infrastructure that a he is alluding to, PCB will need billions
    YEs Rhul did criticised Peshawar arbab niaz stadium outfield.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1543 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

I think, Wasim is telling from overall perspectives, not only from stadium. Stadium actually is a quick fix, but to arrange such leagues properly in a country needs lot more, which PAK actually has.

I give an example from BD - we have only 3 dedicated cricket stadium. Now, money isn't a factor here - in last 20 years, our budget (overall) has increased several times, so is on sports infrastructure and economy is growing at close to average 6-7% after inflation for best part of last 2/3 decades, with strong reserves and remittance inflow and without much not productive expenses (like defense, just about $3.5bn/year). But, building a cricket only stadium is not only about money - you have lots of politics, bureaucracy, red tape, land acquiring, legal challenges, batwara ..... Then comes, proper transportation for home & away games - 3 of our BPL Home City doesn't have airports (in terms of time - 4/5 hours drive away from nearest airport), two of them doesn't have 4 star hotels, proper security arrangements. Besides, transit is a big issue in major cities - lots of roads, under/over pass, metrolink, flyovers are in progress - but that has made situation even worse as 1/3rd of capacity is permanently occupied for construction. Even if finance can support, but logistically it's impossible to arrange BPL in proper 8 team home & away basis, for probably at least half a decade from now.

Compared to that, PAK actually has 6 dedicated, Test venues in 6 Cities. May not be feasible now at Quetta or Peshawar for security issues, but those two franchise easily can be based at Karachi & Faisalabad. All these cities have International airports, accommodation and in general public transport system is better. Normally, on game days, in north Dhaka, people don't use cars for emergency, let alone pleasure trips.

That stadium or out field issue is just a case of not bothering by PCB - IND tour itenary was fixed few months back - enough time even to renovate whole stadium & money wasn't an issue either - it's about hosting IND at home. For BPL happening in proper home & away basis, it's probably a matter of billions, that too in dollar; most importantly it demands time - pouring money won't fix Dhaka's average traffic movement (3.5-4.5Km/hour) overnight, neither we can build 4 cricket only stadiums in 12 months. But, barring security issues, PAK actually has the experience of hosting 2 cricket WCs (& Hockey WC as well) - that invaluable experience you can't earn just from pouring money. PCB is tool, otherwise indeed it's possible to arrange PSL in PAK & transform it into 3rd/4th richest league in world, which at present doesn't encourage much outside PP's bluish gospels.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    Cybertron, Guest of Optimus Prime
    Runs
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

2009 happened at the worst time. I believe there was a programme to upgrade all of the cricketing infrastructure at the time but that was all scuppered due to the events of that year. Renovating stadiums can be done very quickly. We will also have a world class facility in karachi soon with the development of a new stadium in Bahria town. The arbab niaz stadium is getting an upgrade. The national stadium is being smartened up for the PSL. More PSL matches will automatically require better facilities. But there is no point spending money on stadiums when Pakistan cant play here.

the reason they look like they are from the 90's is because they are. They haven been upgraded yet..

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1678 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    Tournaments and matches are held in worse facilities - its the love of the game by the people that counts.

Dubai is a fantastic stadium but has no people watching the game.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Tournaments and matches are held in worse facilities - its the love of the game by the people that counts.

Dubai is a fantastic stadium but has no people watching the game.
    Not the greatest argument, stadia needs to be safe for spectators, rusty roofs and fixtures wont cut it.