Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Sri Lanka Cricket chief Thilanga Sumathipala calls for more India-Sri Lanka games

The India-Sri Lanka cricketing contests are a regular affair in international cricket. In the last 10 years, the teams have played 12 Tests, 15 T20s and a staggering 62 ODIs. However, Sri Lanka Cricket president Thilanga Sumathipala wants them to play even more often, drawing a parallel with the Ashes contest between Australia and England.

“Australia is playing England in the Ashes many times. They play five Tests. So, we feel we should play more with India. They are the No 1 side. Except this tournament, all were bilateral series agreed by the FTP (Future Tours Programme). It sometimes happens that teams play each other frequently while some don’t play for 6-7 years due to FTP pressures,” Sumathipala said at the inauguration of Sri Lanka’s new Brain Centre, for player development, on Monday.

In the last nine months, India have played Sri Lanka in six Tests, eight ODIs and four T20s. They are currently playing in the Nidahas Trophy T20 tri-series, also involving Bangladesh. On their 2017 tour, India whitewashed Sri Lanka 3-0, 5-0 and 1-0 in the Tests, ODIs and T20s respectively. On Sri Lanka’s visit to India late last year, the visitors lost 0-1, 1-2 and 0-3 across the formats.

Brain centre needed for Sri Lanka

Sri Lanka Cricket announced the setting up of a Brain Center equipped with cutting-edge technology in analytics and statistics.

The team’s high performance manager, Simon Willis, said the centre was a necessary tool in player development. “We need a player management system. Whether it is injury management or player workload, we need research and development. We need a system to create fast bowlers in this country. We need to keep a system to monitor pitches, whether they are spinning and whether it is assisting in the development of the player.”

Revival of SLPL

Sumathipala said the priority of the Board was to revive the Sri Lanka Premier League and ensure there were no hurdles. “We want to launch this year and are looking at a window for the next few years. SLPL was stopped half-way through the last time and we want to make it commercially viable this time. The dates are August 18 to September 10, which will be followed by the Asia Cup,” he said.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/crick...FxxGPZWaJ.html

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I'm sure @Varun will agree?

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    May 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Exactly what the world needs I think. And I’m sure our fellow Indian posters will agree

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    Connecticut
    Runs
    Mentioned
    675 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He thinks a lot of India-Sri Lanka series if he compares it to the Ashes

“I've never lost a game I just ran out of time.” Micheal Jordan

Debut
    Mar 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please no. Have mercy on our poor, tortured souls.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    SL plays too much against India and Pakistan.

"If this happens I will swim across the Charles River! In winter!" -- OZGOD on NZ batting 6 sessions

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Please no. We had back to back test & ODI series against them in 2017 and now this Tri-Series. We don't need to play them any more than we actually do. We should actually reduce the amount of cricket we play with SL. I would rather have a series against Bangladesh than playing another one against SL.

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Is this guy for real!?

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Venue
    Queen of Arabian Sea
    Runs
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SL is India's sparring partner

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    India whitewashed Sri Lanka 3-0, 5-0 and 1-0 in the Tests, ODIs and T20s respectively. On Sri Lanka’s visit to India late last year, the visitors lost 0-1, 1-2 and 0-3 across the formats.
    And still they want to play against India. Money has to be the only reason.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    499 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Varun View Post
    Is this guy for real!?
    Oh man I so wanted to see your reply

In cricket, my superhero is Sachin Tendulkar. He has always been my hero.
    -Virat Kohli

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why just more series?

Let's create a window, in Feb-March and play for 2 months against them , every year.

A separate window for SL, just like IPL.

Debut
    Dec 2007
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    LOL

Exactly what world cricket needs.

All I see from this statement is $$$$$$$$ from the SL'an cricket chiefs perspective.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    381 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    What India is giving to Sri Lanka these days is just a phainty. I think SLC Chief wants to see India give Sri Lanka a big phaintaaa.

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by world cup captain View Post
    He thinks a lot of India-Sri Lanka series if he compares it to the Ashes
    If we actually timed our series according to the Ashes I dare say we'll be playing less cricket with them than now.

Debut
    Feb 2013
    Venue
    Guwahati, Assam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

SLC Chief bats for more India - SL matches

Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) doesn't seem satisfied with the latest International cricketing affair with India, as its president Thilanga Sumathipala wants to play more cricket with them even though they have contested each other in 12 Tests, 15 T20s, and an astounding 62 ODIs in the last decade.

Citing an example of Australia-England, who have been playing each other many times as compared to other nations, Sumathipala said 'they should play more with India'.

As per Hindustan Times, Sumathipala said at the inauguration of Sri Lanka’s new Brain Centre, for player development, “Australia is playing England in the Ashes many times. They play five Tests. So, we feel we should play more with India. They are the No 1 side. Except this tournament, all were bilateral series agreed by the FTP (Future Tours Programme). It sometimes happens that teams play each other frequently while some don’t play for 6-7 years due to FTP pressures.”

Meanwhile, India and Sri Lanka have played six Tests, eight ODIs, and four T20s in the last nine months, and currently playing in the Nidahas Trophy T20 tri-series, also involving Bangladesh.

Sumathipala also said that SLC’ main aim is to revive the Sri Lanka Premier League. He signed off by saying, “We want to launch this year and are looking at a window for the next few years. SLPL was stopped half-way through the last time and we want to make it commercially viable this time. The dates are August 18 to September 10, which will be followed by the Asia Cup.”

Link: https://circleofcricket.com/category...dia-sl-matches

If there is a better batsman than Sachin then he hasn’t arrived yet: Viv Richards

Debut
    Feb 2013
    Venue
    Guwahati, Assam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't even know the results of what's being played between them, neither do my friends

If there is a better batsman than Sachin then he hasn’t arrived yet: Viv Richards

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    366 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Lol hillairious statement. Obviously wants Sri Lankan cricket board to benefit from the potential profit and tv money.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    278 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I think he is right, we need more of this dross from the Indians and SL. Maybe twice a day, for the next 10 years.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    985 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    My dream: a 5 Test and 7 ODI series between India and Sri Lanka every year.

Then followed by a 3 Test series between Pakistan and Sri Lanka all at Abu Dhabi, preferably on the slowest and flattest pitches possible.