User Tag List

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

How great was David Gower at his best and overall?

Arguably there has never been a batsmen who posessed the feline touch or grace of David Gower who simply took bating aesthetics or artistry to regions of the divine.No batsmen could send deliveries of the fastest men to the boundary like Gower merely caressing the ball like the touches of a painters brush.Sadly he did not do true justice to his ability and averaged around 44.Very similar to Martin Crowe .Dennis Lille rated Gower only behind Viv Richards ,Sobers and Barry Richards.

I have never seen a left-hander play genuine pace as effortslessly as Gower even if he did not equal the technical skill and power of Sobers or the domination and creativity of Brian Lara or the abilty to bat for your life like Alan Border.

Gower was outstanding against Australia in 1985 when compiling 732 runs and prolific down under in 1982-83 and 1986-87.In West Indies his unbeaten 154 against also a class act in Pakistan in 1983-84 averaging close to 100.In ODI's amongst the top 5 left-handed batsmen of all topping the run aggregate and averages in 1983 world cup .Strangely his highest score was only 215 and he only scored 2 double hundreds.

Arguably he may not rank as a true great or amongst the all-time greats but still writers who place him in that pedestal like Cristopher Martin Jenkins rank him even a shade above Clive Lloyd,Martin Crowe ,Zaheer Abbas,Mark Waugh etc.Confronting genuine pace at his best to me Gower could overshadow the great Greg Chappell or Greame Pollock and almost join the likes of Gary Sobers,Lara or Viv.

I feel at his best he was close to the top dozen batsmen of all time and may have even joined that club. On fast tracks or genuine pace he would rank a notch above Zaheer Abbas or Mohamad Azharrudin .In term s of pure talent he was almost the equal of Lara and could rank amongst the top half dozen naturally gifted batsmen of all.Almost certainly in the top dozen of all in criteria of pure natural ability.To me David would have averaged above 50 and scored 10 more centuries if he did true justice to his enormous natural talent.

Overall I may place Gower just above Mark Waugh, Zaheer Abbas,Majid Khan ,Gundappa Vishwanath ,Inzamam etc.A photo finish with Martin Crowe.

Gary Sobers did not bracket Gower as a true 'great' but John woodcock and Michael Holding did ,with the later choosing Gower in his all-time xi.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1944 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    He was a lovely elegant batsman, at his peak in the 1983 World Cup.

I would add that he had a certain lack of discipline which meant that he only reached the level of a Laxman when he could have been a Lara.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1944 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    I would bracket him with Mark Waugh, Michael Slater, Zaheer Abbas and Inzamam, but a clear level below Martin Crowe.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did not see him live but have read a lot about him and seen a lot of highlights. As graceful as he was, it was also his curse. He loved the aesthetics of the game, he loved getting forward and caressing a cover drive. That led to him not quite having the grit to grind out big scores, again and again and again. If there was a ball to be hit, he'd try and hit it as purely as possible, even if it meant edging it to slip. The curse of elegant left handers was exaggerated in Gower.

Then again, the question is raised, is batting greatness merely a number of 50? I have never held that to be true.

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Junaids View Post
    He was a lovely elegant batsman, at his peak in the 1983 World Cup.

I would add that he had a certain lack of discipline which meant that he only reached the level of a Laxman when he could have been a Lara.
    great answer.Infact at his best V.V.S. could have been his equal.Infact Laxma at his bset arguably surpased Tendulkar nad joined Lara.in 4th innings VVS was better than Sachin.Do you feel Gower was marginally ahead of Greg Chappell at his best?At their best perhaps a dead heat between Majid,V.V.S and Gower.Zaheer was susceptible aginst genuine pace but much better against spin.

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would bracket him with Mark Waugh, Michael Slater, Zaheer Abbas and Inzamam, but a clear level below Martin Crowe.
    At their best perhaps a dead heat between Majid,V.V.S and Gower.Zaheer was susceptible aginst genuine pace but much better against spin.

Why you rank Crowe ahead? Gower to me was a left-handed Rohan Kanhai.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1023 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by barah_admi View Post
    I did not see him live but have read a lot about him and seen a lot of highlights. As graceful as he was, it was also his curse. He loved the aesthetics of the game, he loved getting forward and caressing a cover drive. That led to him not quite having the grit to grind out big scores, again and again and again. If there was a ball to be hit, he'd try and hit it as purely as possible, even if it meant edging it to slip. The curse of elegant left handers was exaggerated in Gower.

Then again, the question is raised, is batting greatness merely a number of 50? I have never held that to be true.
    Of course not. The average of 50 is one of the indicators of a great batsman. However, it is not the only indicator.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He was not known for his averages or anything. He was not known for his flair. He was one of the most attractive batsman to watch in the 80s. Gooch, Gatting were plain ugly to watch. Boycott Boring. Cricket fans imitated his shots even at schools, colleges. I am talking about India. ONe of the most loved English cricketer in India. Closest to Gower as far as flair goes was Marcus Trescothik who often would stand and deliver. England lost a great batsman in Marcus.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilal7 View Post
    Of course not. The average of 50 is one of the indicators of a great batsman. However, it is not the only indicator.
    Precisely my point.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not seen him but with what heard, he was one of the best English batsmen alongside Gooch, Stewart, KP and Cook in last 30 years.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1944 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harsh Thakor View Post
    great answer.Infact at his best V.V.S. could have been his equal.Infact Laxma at his bset arguably surpased Tendulkar nad joined Lara.in 4th innings VVS was better than Sachin.Do you feel Gower was marginally ahead of Greg Chappell at his best?At their best perhaps a dead heat between Majid,V.V.S and Gower.Zaheer was susceptible aginst genuine pace but much better against spin.
    Actually, I place great emphasis on Packer performances, which tell me that Greg Chappell was on a significantly higher plane.

I would rate the batsmen Iíve watched 1975-2018 as follows (in alphabetical order) in Tests and SuperTests:

Top Level: Barry Richards and Viv Richards

Second Level: Greg Chappell, De Villiers, Kallis, Lara, Sangakkara, Ponting and Tendulkar

Third Level: Martin Crowe, Rahul Dravid, Javed Miandad

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    854 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Averaged 40 at home and 50 overseas.

The most elegant England batter I ever saw. He hardly seemed to move and off the ball would go for four.

Excellent against spin bowling. Not so great against WI except the Barbados 150, but deflectors like him seemed to do less well than stand-and-deliver types like Gooch and Lamb.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Averaged 40 at home and 50 overseas.

The most elegant England batter I ever saw. He hardly seemed to move and off the ball would go for four.

Excellent against spin bowling. Not so great against WI except the Barbados 150, but deflectors like him seemed to do less well than stand-and-deliver types like Gooch and Lamb.
    I remember his last innings against Pakistan 1992 I think he scored 50 in that Test Match.
    Then he was dropped for the India Tour which was quite surprising.

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Actually, I place great emphasis on Packer performances, which tell me that Greg Chappell was on a significantly higher plane.

I would rate the batsmen Iíve watched 1975-2018 as follows (in alphabetical order) in Tests and SuperTests:

Second Level: Greg Chappell, De Villiers, Kallis, Lara, Sangakkara, Ponting and Tendulkar

Sunil Gavaskar nowhere?or Alan Border?what about Ian Chappell?

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Mississauga
    Runs
    Mentioned
    868 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    very elegant player , good timer .

Never reaching that consistency level , but very very pleasing on eyes.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great timer of the ball was Gower saheb. Fair enough, with his natural attacking instincts probably not an ideal man in a crises situation like a Miandad or Dravid would be. For sheer entertainment value he has to be in category A, no doubt about it. One of the best English batsman of all time. Still trying to figure out who gave him a black eye that he carried for so long? David Gower means elegance, flair and stroke play. Having seen some old video's he was Mudassar Nazar's bunny in the 1982 series.

PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1281 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Apart from watching some old videos on Youtube, I haven't seen much of him. But have heard great things about David Gower.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1944 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Earlier I classified various batsmen as follows:......

Quote Originally Posted by Harsh Thakor View Post
    Sunil Gavaskar nowhere?or Alan Border?what about Ian Chappell?
    I'd put Gavaskar alongside Crowe and Dravid at the Third Level: I'm tempted to put him in the second level but he was so flawed psychologically that I just can't.

Allan Border would fit into the Third level too: terrific at times, but a class beneath those Second Level players.

Ian Chappell is nowhere for me. Superb captain, and worth a place in the team for that, but as a batsman I'm not sure that he was better than the likes of Allan Lamb, Robin Smith, Virender Sehwag in a Fifth Level.

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By far, one of the most stylish left handed Batsman !!!!!

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by giri26 View Post
    Apart from watching some old videos on Youtube, I haven't seen much of him. But have heard great things about David Gower.
    Growing up in the 80s i imitated shot for shot of Gower with Tennis ball. Back then i would play with my flat mate in a compound. I would be England often.My friend would be India. Basically each has to play as all 11 batsman for 10 overs or so. I would make sure Gooch and Chris Broad or Bill Athey get out early so that Gower in come in early. As Gower i would bat rest of the overs. He had a huge fan club in India.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    854 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by khan-92 View Post
    I remember his last innings against Pakistan 1992 I think he scored 50 in that Test Match.
    Then he was dropped for the India Tour which was quite surprising.
    He got 70, drawing gasps from the crowd as he caressed Wasim and Waqar for effortless fours.

We missed the last two years of him through management intransigence - rather like KP.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    420 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Very elegant batsmen.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1505 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    David Gower: England Test cricket great out of Sky Sports commentary team after Ashes

Former England Test captain David Gower will leave Sky Sports after the ongoing Ashes Test series, as the British broadcaster moves towards a different coverage plan.

Gower, 62, has been part of Sky’s commentary team for 20 years. During this time, his expertise in calling games of cricket across the globe has been well-appreciated and his rapport with fellow former England skippers Nasser Hussain, Mike Atherton and Ian Botham, as well as David Lloyd, particularly memorable.

Speaking to Sportsmail, he said that the end of his contract with Sky had come suddenly and that he was saddened by the broadcaster’s decision.

“I am — and I have to pick a word carefully — unhappy that it’s ending,” said Gower. “However people try to explain the reasons, the times they are a changin’. I actually do love the job. Some people suggest I don’t — or maybe I have moments off. We all have days off. But I do love being around it. It’s my environment and I feel comfortable there. If there’s a way of staying in it, that would be wonderful.”

Since he retired from cricket after 14 years as an England player – including 32 Tests as skipper – Gower has worked with the BBC’s Test Match Special, Channel 9 in Australia and Sky. He joined Sky in 1999 on a full-time contract.

He said that the end of his association with Sky came about as the channel started to ponder a new direction.

“The gist of it is they want to move on and change style,” said Gower. “It’s that dreaded start to a sentence: ‘We think you’re doing a great job, but…’ That, of course, leads to where we are now. I’m aware that our demographic for Sky cricket is kind of my demographic. Their research proves that. The main part of our watching public for Test matches is of a certain age and probably white males. So it’s a shame I can’t keep appealing to them and keep them happy.”

Elegance personified when batting at the crease, Gower was England’s twinkle-toed, blue-eyed boy wonder who ended his Test career with 8231 runs at an average of 44.25.

The final Ashes Test at The Oval from September 12 will be Gower’s last as a commentator for Sky Sports. “I have no intention of retiring to a hilltop in Peru yet,” he said.

https://www.cricketcountry.com/news/...r-ashes-879729

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    854 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I always liked him as Sky anchor. Personable and knowledgable. But the cry is always for youth and maybe they will promote Nasser.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Probably was the most popular English cricketer among the older generation of Indian cricket fans.