Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1236 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

"The workload has started to disagree (taking a toll) with me a little bit" : Virat Kohli

MUMBAI: India skipper Virat Kohli, one of the fittest cricketers in the world, acknowledged that the time has come that he listens to his body and manage workload, going forward in his career.

Kohli has been rested for the ongoing tri-nation Twenty20 series in Sri Lanka.

"Physically I had a few niggles, I am just getting over those. The workload has started to disagree (taking a toll) with me a little bit. I have to be very careful about how I go forward with my body, my mind, my cricket," Kohli said on the sidelines of a promotional event for noted watch brand Tissot.

Kohli said the break is helping him recover for fresh challenges ahead, starting with the IPL.

"Times like these are very-very important going ahead. I am totally enjoying it. I do not even have an inch of me missing out on anything because my body really needed this. Although I am keeping a track of the games, I do not watch matches right now and feel like I want to be on the field because I have started to listen to my body.

"And when I am done with this period, obviously in the IPL I will be coming out fresh. I will be mentally in a better place on the field. I have been on the road for a long, long time. I have hardly missed any games. You need to pay respect to your body as well at times and this phase is very important to me," Kohli explained.

"I can sit and not move for hours. As much as energy I show on the field but when I get time at home, I can be a total vegetable. I can be very annoying because I do not move at all," he quipped.

Kohli is one of the five cricketers given an A+ Central contract by the BCCI, considering that he is certain to play in all formats.

Kohli also expressed regard for tennis great player Roger Federer.

"Roger Federer is my ultimate favourite. When he plays it's so beautiful. He has a family now, priorities set, he takes time out of the game without worrying about opinions and criticism of people and then he comes in and wins Grand Slams at 36, he is defying all the logics and that's something I totally love.

"I hate following the norm and he is someone who is breaking barriers on a daily basis and I have huge respect for him," Kohli said.

Ask Kohli, whom he would gift a watch and pat came the reply, Yuzvendra Chahal since, he is "always late".

"I will give him any watch just to keep a check on time."

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/63288551.cms

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Fortress Europe
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kohli should have opted out of the IPL and rested himself for the England tour. Signing up with an English county and playing some practice matches there would have also been a good idea.

Sad that he is unwilling to give up on the IPL riches.

Debut
    Jun 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gani999 View Post
    Kohli should have opted out of the IPL and rested himself for the England tour. Signing up with an English county and playing some practice matches there would have also been a good idea.

IPL is his bread and butter, what he makes from BCCI is peanuts...

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by badsha001 View Post
    IPL is his bread and butter, what he makes from BCCI is peanuts...
    Agree that calls for skipping IPL is absurd, but Virat's income from BCCI contract and match fees now stands at close to 1.5 million USD compared to 2.5 million USD he earns from IPL. Not peanuts by any stretch.

Also, Virat's commercial appeal is directly linked to him representing the country, which won't be possible without BCCI. So his real income source - endorsements - is directly linked to playing for the BCCI.

Debut
    Dec 2008
    Venue
    Norway
    Runs
    Mentioned
    483 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

BCCI will never let their biggest player skip IPL for any other form of domestic cricket.

Ki Mohammad (saw) sey wafa tu ney tou hum terey hain
    Yeh jahaan cheez kya hai Loh-o-Qalam tere hain

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Venue
    Queen of Arabian Sea
    Runs
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny that some.posters want him to skip IPL. They themselves would not miss a chance to make money in their life. Atleast I am that way .

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After marriage it isbit difficult to manage workload. That's life unfortunately.

Debut
    Jun 2015
    Venue
    Srinagar
    Runs
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Probably wants to spend more time with his wife, doesn't want to be added to the list of actors and actresses having failed relationships and marriages. Then again, he's skipped the recent SL tour and now this t20 thing so no idea what he's talking about

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
    Agree that calls for skipping IPL is absurd, but Virat's income from BCCI contract and match fees now stands at close to 1.5 million USD compared to 2.5 million USD he earns from IPL. Not peanuts by any stretch.

Also, Virat's commercial appeal is directly linked to him representing the country, which won't be possible without BCCI. So his real income source - endorsements - is directly linked to playing for the BCCI.
    And his sponsorship income is probably 5-10m USD/year.

Ironically if he skips an IPL here and there it will extend his overall career and he’ll make up the lost IPL earnings back at the end of his career. But yeah this is all hypothetical as it will never happen.

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Venue
    Andromeda
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabbar Singh View Post
    And his sponsorship income is probably 5-10m USD/year.

Ironically if he skips an IPL here and there it will extend his overall career and he’ll make up the lost IPL earnings back at the end of his career. But yeah this is all hypothetical as it will never happen.
    You raise a very good point. Although I am sure sponsors etc. do have weird clauses which 'force' him to play X games if fit.

BCCI should manage their ATG player with intelligence at his prime.

Hopefully we'll have a fit Kohli to lead India in England!

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    442 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Feeling tired, Kohli boy? Skipping meaningless Lanka games is a good start, and I can identify another one and a half month break you can take. Every year.

All you have to do is say the word.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awww, is little wittle, barely 30 Kohli tired? I feel so bad for the ultra rich pre-madonna.

Like Botham once said, these modern kids wouldn't be able to play the schedule he used to play on, finish a county game at the start of the week and start a test on Thursday. These kids have no idea.

Debut
    Jun 2015
    Venue
    Srinagar
    Runs
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by barah_admi View Post
    Awww, is little wittle, barely 30 Kohli tired? I feel so bad for the ultra rich pre-madonna.

Like Botham once said, these modern kids wouldn't be able to play the schedule he used to play on, finish a county game at the start of the week and start a test on Thursday. These kids have no idea.
    Ditto Steyn and comparing him to older fast bowlers like Wasim who played 350+ ODIs and County

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The stage is set. No excuses for failure this time in ENG for King Kholi.

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Venue
    Queen of Arabian Sea
    Runs
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManFan View Post
    The stage is set. No excuses for failure this time in ENG for King Kholi.
    Try to get his name correctly or are you intentionally mocking him?

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WengerOut View Post
    Try to get his name correctly or are you intentionally mocking him?
    Will I get in trouble?

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Venue
    Queen of Arabian Sea
    Runs
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will I get in trouble?
    No man !! But seriously it is irritating . Many call him that. Dunno why

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No man !! But seriously it is irritating . Many call him that. Dunno why
    It was an honest mistake. Just too excited at the thought of a bearded Kohli demolishing Anderson and Broad. If any bowler is to get him, it probably will be Woakes. He is the amongst the best with the new ball in ODI cricket along with David Willey. In swinging conditions, he will be a handful.

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Venue
    Queen of Arabian Sea
    Runs
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was an honest mistake. Just too excited at the thought of a bearded Kohli demolishing Anderson and Broad. If any bowler is to get him, it probably will be Woakes. He is the amongst the best with the new ball in ODI cricket along with David Willey. In swinging conditions, he will be a handful.
    ODIs are hardly relevant in that tour. All about tests.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ODIs are hardly relevant in that tour. All about tests.
    You misinterpreted my post, not your fault, I made a mess of that post . I was stating how good Woakes is with a new ball in white ball cricket on often times, flat ENG pitches. He will be a handful for IND in ENG even if there are dry pitches like the one PAK got in 2016. He beat us back and blue with the ball and bat during that series, not to mention 11 wickets in the 1st Test.

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Venue
    Queen of Arabian Sea
    Runs
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You misinterpreted my post (Not your fault, I made a mess of that post . I was stating how good Woakes is with a new ball in white ball cricket on often times, flat ENG pitches. He will be a handful for IND in ENG even if there are dry pitches like the one PAK got in 2016. He beat us back and blue with the ball and bat during that series, not to mention 11 wickets in the 1st Test.
    And he has struggled to take wickets in tests ever since. Not sure he is a site starter unless England's love for someone who can bat is still valid.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And he has struggled to take wickets in tests ever since. Not sure he is a site starter unless England's love for someone who can bat is still valid.
    He needs to start. He can bat, bowl tight lines with some swing rather than seam movement (as in the traditional ENG bowling sense), and is a decent fielder.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1660 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Age is catching up with him....

#Hum apko container deingaye dharnay ke liyay

Debut
    Mar 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Easy to say this sitting while sitting behind a computer screen. Let's see you play half as many matches Kohli has played in the last 2 years and see if you're even able to stand on your legs.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    India are playing cricket all the time. At least football has a month or so off because of the season Ending, these guys are practically playing every week

"The Indian bowling attack is as devastating as the Teletubbies"- Sir Ian Botham

Debut
    May 2015
    Venue
    Brooklyn, NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    224 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Must be tough bowling 125 km/h for 50 tests over their whole career.

Kohli is just 29 and has already played over half of the number of tests Botham played, and almost twice the ODIs.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Venue
    Hawks Fortress
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4755 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    IPL, England tour, West Indies home, Australia and NZ away next winter, IPL and then the world cup.

Facing burnout before the world cup even comes around?

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Chicago
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adijazz1706 View Post
    Probably wants to spend more time with his wife, doesn't want to be added to the list of actors and actresses having failed relationships and marriages. Then again, he's skipped the recent SL tour and now this t20 thing so no idea what he's talking about
    Two months in that challenging SA tour. Add to that the captaincy burden. He had a legendary tour and deserves a break

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    442 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by London_Lahori View Post
    IPL, England tour, West Indies home, Australia and NZ away next winter, IPL and then the world cup.

Is that so? Then he should just skip the 2 IPLs. That's 3,57,824 games already taken off the clock.

Debut
    Jun 2015
    Venue
    Srinagar
    Runs
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by London_Lahori View Post

He won't play the Windies tour, India A would beat them

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Funny you call for him to rest then later suggest him to play county? What if he gets injured playing useless county?

Id have agreed with you completely had you not suggested him to play county. Either he should rest completely or stick with IPL.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Varun View Post
    Is that so? Then he should just skip the 2 IPLs. That's 3,57,824 games already taken off the clock.
    Or perhaps simply skip the Windies tour and let Junior Kohli play instead. Im sure he will do just fine

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    We already knew that.... he goes missing in world events.
    Still he was part of World cup winning squad when he was just 23. As far as goes missing in world events then so did Waqar in his entire career, but that doesnt mean Waqar wasnt quality bowler

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    442 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianG00se View Post
    Or perhaps simply skip the Windies tour and let Junior Kohli play instead. Im sure he will do just fine
    Who is Junior Kohli? The West Indies is not a tour - it's a home series. Perhaps he can play the 2 tests and rest for the ODIs / T20s.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    381 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Funny you call for him to rest then later suggest him to play county? What if he gets injured playing useless county?

Id have agreed with you completely had you not suggested him to play county. Either he should rest completely or stick with IPL.
    Ask Zaheer Khan what playing in useless county did to his career and how much it helped India. Kohli should take rest during Pyjama League otherwise he will be finished as a cricketer in 5 years.

Debut
    Apr 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Players today have twice the workload that Botham-generation did. And leave alone Virat - who is a captain of a cricket-crazy country, an all format player (and exceptional in all), and the best all-format batsman in the world.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Chicago
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Still he was part of World cup winning squad when he was just 23. As far as goes missing in world events then so did Waqar in his entire career, but that doesnt mean Waqar wasnt quality bowler
    He was a beast in T20 World cups

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhaag Viru Bhaag View Post
    Ask Zaheer Khan what playing in useless county did to his career and how much it helped India. Kohli should take rest during Pyjama League otherwise he will be finished as a cricketer in 5 years.
    I think Khan was a different case, Kohli is already polished ,playing county will not help him lot, as we are playing odi before test series, he will get the feel even by playing on flat tracks.

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rhony View Post
    He was a beast in T20 World cups
    Already two player of the tournament awards.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please tell me how much did PUJARA improved as a batsman playing in county cricket? He still mediocre player when it comes to play away from Asia. Not every player will transformed into some world beaters.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who is Junior Kohli? The West Indies is not a tour - it's a home series. Perhaps he can play the 2 tests and rest for the ODIs / T20s.
    Shubman Gill aka Kholi 2.0

And yes, Windies is home series, so we really dont need Kohli to play the entire series. Maybe play two test series and let youngster play in LOIs.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Skipping an IPL will not increase his international games. LOL some people are just too much.

I think it's time we close curtain on choosing IPL over bla bla bla cricket. Especially for player like Kohli who barely miss a game. Rarely get injured. And is a captain in all 3 format of the game.

Geez relax, he can take all break he wants. Kohli is the fittest cricketer for India. Taking a break from IPL and playing county games isn't going to change how he will perform in England.

3WCs, #1 Test #1 ODI team, Fab 9: Sachin, Dravid, Saurav, Kumble, VVS, Viru, Zak, MSD, Yuvi

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sachin136 View Post
    Must be tough bowling 125 km/h for 50 tests over their whole career.

Kohli is just 29 and has already played over half of the number of tests Botham played, and almost twice the ODIs.
    Botham played consistent first class cricket during county crickets toughest and most competitive era. Kohli would get eaten up by the likes that played then and his wanabe tattoos would not help either.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rahul1 View Post
    Easy to say this sitting while sitting behind a computer screen. Let's see you play half as many matches Kohli has played in the last 2 years and see if you're even able to stand on your legs.
    My work is more demanding than playing a game where I get overpaid, travel the world for free and have a team of nutritionists and physios following my every step. I'm ok thanks.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adijazz1706 View Post
    Ditto Steyn and comparing him to older fast bowlers like Wasim who played 350+ ODIs and County
    Steyn's ODI career is such a waste but he never made the amount of money Kohli has and does not have the same privileges. Plus he is/was a fast bowler, one of the toughest tasks in sports, not the same as being a batsman who normally last longer.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Chicago
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    No one plays cricket with more intensity than Kohli. He is switched on for the entire duration and performs like a beast. It's good that he realized he needs a break instead of padding his numbers against insignificant tournaments

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    276 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

The pace of the game in today's time and the pace of the game today is worlds apart. Botham with his fitness would be found wanting badly in this era

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But money is not taking any load on him..so much hike in pay package than we have performance appraisals...

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    450 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Feeling tired, Kohli boy? Skipping meaningless Lanka games is a good start, and I can identify another one and a half month break you can take. Every year.

All you have to do is say the word.
    And you will pay him the millions of $$$ ?

Sydney Bangalore Manchester Centurion Durban Jo'burg Mohali Colombo Dhaka Adelaide Kolkata

Debut
    Sep 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If your cricket analysis is as good as your understanding of words (pre-madonna? ) then I'm sure we all understand what it's worth.

Giving Botham's example....

Debut
    Feb 2013
    Venue
    Guwahati, Assam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    278 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryin Out Loud View Post
    If your cricket analysis is as good as your understanding of words (pre-madonna? ) then I'm sure we all understand what it's worth.

Giving Botham's example....
    How could I miss that gem

If there is a better batsman than Sachin then he hasn’t arrived yet: Viv Richards

Debut
    Jan 2008
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Age 29

Botham: 73 tests and 72 ODIs.

Kohli: 66 tests, 208 ODIs, and 57 T20Is

There is no comparison to be made at all even if you start to add in domestic matches. Botham would have broken down quickly with Kohli's workload.

May the Hawks Fly Forever. Lightning Hawks CC -- Team Thread.

Debut
    Oct 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kingusama92 View Post
    Age 29

There is no comparison to be made at all even if you start to add in domestic matches. Botham would have broken down quickly with Kohli's workload.
    Add IPL matches to it !

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    442 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tusker View Post
    And you will pay him the millions of $$$ ?
    His problem is not the lack of money, it is the workload.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Didn't he skip the one day and t20 series with Sri Lanka before the SA tour anyway? (When he was getting married)

So it's not like he is playing every match

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kingusama92 View Post
    Age 29

Assuming your numbers are correct, Botham was a fast bowling all rounder. So after bowling some 15-20 overs, he would also bat, often scoring centuries, 13 of those in fact with a double too and over 300 wickets. Add to that long, long tours abroad, with multiple first class games being played before and in between tests AND he also had over 250 first class games in that time. Kohli only has 98 and is unlikely to add many more.

All this while he took part in multiple disciplines, was paid a fraction of what Kohli is paid, never had the same level of nutritionists and teams of physios and weak opposition.

So yeah, little wittle KOhli.

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Dynamic
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He can take a break from all inferior series he's earned that.

IPL is huge in India and a cash rich league no one would take s break from it even Sachin played all seasons til he retired.

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Venue
    Jhansi(uttar pradesh),India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Assuming your numbers are correct, Botham was a fast bowling all rounder. So after bowling some 15-20 overs, he would also bat, often scoring centuries, 13 of those in fact with a double too and over 300 wickets. Add to that long, long tours abroad, with multiple first class games being played before and in between tests AND he also had over 250 first class games in that time. Kohli only has 98 and is unlikely to add many more.

All this while he took part in multiple disciplines, was paid a fraction of what Kohli is paid, never had the same level of nutritionists and teams of physios and weak opposition.

It is better to accept stress and take rest rather than letting the team down by bowling 125kmph volleys in uae and failing to take any wickets against modern day minnows sl.
    Yeah Botham was a tough guy so what?
    Is he pakistani, or pseudo pakistani just like amla.

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeeteshssaxena View Post
    It is better to accept stress and take rest rather than letting the team down by bowling 125kmph volleys in uae and failing to take any wickets against modern day minnows sl.
    comparing Bothm who was fatso and lazy with Kohli is huge insult to VK.
    Allrounder of his era played more matches while Botham was drinking alcohol and becoming fat. please you don't need a super duper instructor to tell you not to drink alcohol and start a little bit workout and become fit.
    Person like Dev played 131 test matches on unresponsive pitches and over 200 odi. Imran represented Pak in more international with lot of career ending injuries and both were captain also. If dev and Khan fan question Kohli claim then I can understand but unfit Botham fans are questioning Virat
    Last edited by Navdeep Srivastava; 18th March 2018 at 11:46.

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Venue
    Queen of Arabian Sea
    Runs
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Old era played in slow motion compared to current one. So yeah , one can never compare them unless you are boasting which i believe old timers like Botham resort to every now and then.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeeteshssaxena View Post
    Huuuuuuh? What has being Pakistani got to do with it? I told you something Botham has said about the topic of modern players moaning about work loads. You do realise cricket is bigger than just India right? And it didnt start in 2011?
    Last edited by UN talkz; 18th March 2018 at 13:38.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Venue
    United Kingdom
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lets be honest guys missing an IPL season wont make much difference to the wealth of Kohli

I think having a 1.5 month rest every year during IPL will prolong his career and give him an advantage from the rest of top players in the world who cant afford to miss IPL.

if anyone can afford not to play IPL its Virat.

Debut
    Feb 2013
    Venue
    Guwahati, Assam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    278 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sully3 View Post
    Lets be honest guys missing an IPL season wont make much difference to the wealth of Kohli

I think having a 1.5 month rest every year during IPL will prolong his career and give him an advantage from the rest of top players in the world who cant afford to miss IPL.

Virat can afford to skip IPL, but BCCI will never, ever allow it under any circumstances apart from injuries. They'll compel him to play IPL even if he wishes not to.

If there is a better batsman than Sachin then he hasn’t arrived yet: Viv Richards

Debut
    Jan 2008
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Problem is, Botham was going through the motions after a certain point. For example, after the age of 28 his bowling average never dipped below 32. That's exactly what Kohli is looking to avoid. Kohli sets higher standards for himself than Botham ever did from a fitness/health perspective.

Debut
    Jan 2008
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sully3 View Post

Don't think he'll do that.

His biggest dream is to create a positive sporting culture in India and that begins with continuous participation in the IPL.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see the usual gang is complaining about kohli playing IPL, to all those folks i have a question will you or won't you leave your current job/company even country if that money is available to you for 3 months work.

Before asking kohli to take a break from such a tournament just ask yourself would you do it?

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    450 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did he say that ? I don't think so ... besides playing in IPL is not just about making money. It is a well regarded T20 tournament and it is about time people started to recognize that. All top players want to play and be in the winning team. You may not believe this but this is a hard fact. And you cant even complain that IPL is hurting Indian Cricket given the overwhelming positives that can be attributed to IPL.

But lets work out the scenarios if he does chose to skip a IPL season to rest .... he is going to attract a lot of ire from his sponsors and BCCI who will then start to look for other options which will hurt his brand image in the long run and cause him other headaches. Its a fine balancing act that players have to undertake with their mgmt just like in any other job.

Sydney Bangalore Manchester Centurion Durban Jo'burg Mohali Colombo Dhaka Adelaide Kolkata

Debut
    Mar 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tusker View Post
    Did he say that ? I don't think so ... besides playing in IPL is not just about making money. It is a well regarded T20 tournament and it is about time people started to recognize that. All top players want to play and be in the winning team. You may not believe this but this is a hard fact. And you cant even complain that IPL is hurting Indian Cricket given the overwhelming positives that can be attributed to IPL.

But lets work out the scenarios if he does chose to skip a IPL season to rest .... he is going to attract a lot of ire from his sponsors and BCCI who will then start to look for other options which will hurt his brand image in the long run and cause him other headaches. Its a fine balancing act that players have to undertake with their mgmt just like in any other job.
    Some examples?

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some examples?
    Well tbh it improves the players' partying skills so that's something.

Funny that India has won a grand total of 0 T20 WCs since the IPL started, the so called big talent digging behemoth.

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Venue
    Queen of Arabian Sea
    Runs
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Proactive_ View Post
    Well tbh it improves the players' partying skills so that's something.

Funny that India has won a grand total of 0 T20 WCs since the IPL started, the so called big talent digging behemoth.
    Or lets say , 1 ODI WC, 2 T20 finals , 1 CT , 1 CT semis.

Debut
    Mar 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or lets say , 1 ODI WC, 2 T20 finals , 1 CT , 1 CT semis.
    Umm, ipl is a t-20 format I think.

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Venue
    Queen of Arabian Sea
    Runs
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Umm, ipl is a t-20 format I think.
    So ? You think it can't affect the general attitude in playing LOI ? Or it should only affect 20 over cricket and after 20.1 overs it start diminishing?

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    450 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some examples?
    It offers opportunities to players that simply did not exist. Cricket is now a genuine career option and it results in higher participation levels at the lower tiers. That's the single biggest plus.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    381 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketworm View Post
    Skipping an IPL will not increase his international games. LOL some people are just too much.

I think it's time we close curtain on choosing IPL over bla bla bla cricket. Especially for player like Kohli who barely miss a game. Rarely get injured. And is a captain in all 3 format of the game.

Geez relax, he can take all break he wants. Kohli is the fittest cricketer for India. Taking a break from IPL and playing county games isn't going to change how he will perform in England.
    Oh really? Hoepfully some fans won't cry when India lose in England. Just like few fans who were asking for practice matches before South Africa test series. Getting used to conditions is a very important aspect of test cricket.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1660 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Oh really? Hoepfully some fans won't cry when India lose in England. Just like few fans who were asking for practice matches before South Africa test series. Getting used to conditions is a very important aspect of test cricket.
    No doubt in my mind that the only reason we managed to draw the series in England was because we got there about a month before the series started.

#Hum apko container deingaye dharnay ke liyay

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last match of IPL is on May 27th. First match of England tour is on July 03rd. And it's not a test. It's T20 series followed by ODi series. First test is on August 1st. So if some cry when India lose in England saying Kohli should have skipped IPL to prepare for test in England in August, that would be nothing more than a whine.

3WCs, #1 Test #1 ODI team, Fab 9: Sachin, Dravid, Saurav, Kumble, VVS, Viru, Zak, MSD, Yuvi

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This time around we are playing LOIs series before Test series, that should give ample opportunity for players to get accustomed to conditions and perform better.
    If conditions are similar to what Pakistan got in their last tour to England then we can expect hard fought series and perhaps we could even win it

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some examples?
    BCCI having enough funds that could afford to pay good amount to TEST and domestic players. Extra funds means more money invested into grass roots which means better infrastructure which means better players in future.
    Just 10 years of IPL have changed the dynamics of Indian cricket which Test cricket alone could take millenium.