Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Babar Azam #1 ranked T20I batsman, Shadab Khan second-ranked T20I bowler

Pakistan opener Babar Azam has reclaimed the number-one batting ranking while wrist spinner Shadab Khan has vaulted into second position for the first time in his career in the latest MRF Tyres ICC T20I Player Rankings, which were released on Wednesday afternoon following the conclusion of Pakistan versus Windies series in Karachi on Tuesday.

Babar, who captained Pakistan in the ICC U19 Cricket World Cup 2012, was in stellar form when he scored 17, 97 not out and 51 as Pakistan consolidated their position at the top of the team rankings following a 3-0 series win. For this consistency, Babar was adjudged player of the series and was also rewarded with a jump of two places, which has made him the highest-ranked batsman in the shortest format of the game for the second time in less than 10 weeks.

Babar had first surged to the top on 28 January following the series against New Zealand, before Glenn Maxwell of Australia went top during the Australia-New Zealand-England T20I tri-series on 7 February. New Zealand’s Colin Munro finished the series on 24 February as the number-one ranked batsman.

When Babar topped the batting rankings in January, he had become the second Pakistan batsman after Misbah-ul-Haq (2008-2009) to claim the coveted number-one position.

For his efforts in Karachi, Babar earned 95 points, which put him ahead of Munro and Maxwell. Babar now leads Munro by 80 points, while Maxwell is another two points behind.

Other players to make an upward movement following this series include Shoaib Malik (32nd, up by four places), Fakhar Zaman (50th, up by 15 places), Hussain Talat (has entered in 54th spot) and Chadwick Walton (98th, up by 11 places).

In the bowling table, Shadab Khan has rocketed 10 places to second following his five wickets in the series. Shadab, who played in the ICC U19 Cricket World Cup 2016, collected 125 points from the just-concluded series, which has put him just 26 points behind fellow wrist spinner Rashid Khan of Afghanistan, who interestingly is just 14 days older than Shadab.

It is also interesting to point out that six of the seven top-ranked bowlers are wrist spinners (Rashid Khan, Shadab Khan, Yuzvendra Chahal, Ish Sodhi, Samuel Badree and Imran Tahir), while sixth-ranked Michael Santner of New Zealand is a left-arm spinner.

Fast bowlers Mohammad Amir and Hasan Ali are also on the charge in the latest rankings. Amir has lifted 15 places to 12th, while Hasan has jumped 10 places to a career-high 30th position.

Pakistan’s left-arm spinner Mohammad Nawaz is the biggest mover in the latest rankings. The 24-year-old took four wickets in the series, which has helped him to rise 66 places to a career-high 53rd rank.

Other bowlers to improve their rankings include Kesrick Williams (57th, up by seven places), Faheem Ashraf (68th, up by 24 places) and Shoaib Malik (82nd, up by five places).

Glenn Maxwell is the number-one ranked all-rounder, while Shoaib Malik is Pakistan’s highest-ranked all-rounder in ninth position after moving up by two places. Windies’ Marlon Samuels has slipped one place to fifth.

Meanwhile, Pakistan have opened up a four-point advantage over second-ranked Australia following a 3-0 win. In contrast, the Windies have dropped from fifth to seven after losing four points.

The annual update of the T20I team rankings will now be carried out on 1 May - all results from 1 May 2014 to 30 April 2015 will be dropped from calculations, while matches played from 1 May 2015 to 30 April 2017 will be weighted at 50 per cent and matches played from 1 May 2017 will be weighted at 100 per cent.

MRF Tyres ICC T20I Team Rankings (as on 4 April, following the conclusion of Pakistan v Windies series):

Rank Team Points
    1 Pakistan 130 (+4)
    2 Australia 126
    3 India 121
    4 New Zealand 116
    5 England 114
    6 South Africa 111
    7 Windies 111 (-4)
    8 Sri Lanka 89
    9 Afghanistan 88
    10 Bangladesh 77
    11 Scotland 67
    12 Zimbabwe 61
    13 UAE 52
    14 Netherlands 49
    15 Hong Kong 46
    16 PNG 39
    17 Oman 38
    18 Ireland 36
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 4th April 2018 at 14:04.

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to see Pakistan players and team on top.

Hope these guys and the team improves itís ODI and Test rankings too.

Debut
    Feb 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to see Babar step up his T20 game. Would help him in ODIs too.

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    World Class youngsters

shaheen 17
    shadab 19
    amir 25
    hasan 23
    babar 23
    fahim 23
    talat 22

when they peak we will dominate world cricket and I am serious

Debut
    Jun 2015
    Venue
    Srinagar
    Runs
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Shadab is 14 days younger than Rashid? Rashid looks 14 years his senior

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zain7077 View Post
    World Class youngsters

shaheen 17
    shadab 19
    amir 25
    hasan 23
    babar 23
    fahim 23
    talat 22

when they peak we will dominate world cricket and I am serious
    If they reach their potential and hit form we will win a world cup.

It takes 6 world class players to win a world cup.

We are on the cusp of another golden era. Some say its already begun with CT win.

Debut
    May 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Not surprising to see Pakistani players in the top rankings. We have been beastly in T20s under Sarfraz. I think this is one of the greatest run of performances by any team in T20Is. Hope it continues and we bag the World T20.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I can feel the Pakistani in me thinking about this potential golden period. Its an exciting time because we have exciting young cricketers, which has not been the case for a decade. However, we do have to take a step back and realize that there is still a lot to prove before we are even close to a period like the 1990s. Although there is nothing wrong with being excited.

At least we will no longer have certain posters claiming that Pakistan cricket is dead and that we are doomed to be minnows.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adijazz1706 View Post
    Shadab is 14 days younger than Rashid? Rashid looks 14 years his senior
    Can you folks forget about your obsession with age, what difference does it make ?

Debut
    Mar 2018
    Venue
    Nagpur
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Babar has scored all his career runs against D grade WI and Srilanka attacks..This gives idea about how misleading actually ranking is..

Debut
    Mar 2018
    Venue
    Skardu, GB
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectrum View Post
    Babar has scored all his career runs against D grade WI and Srilanka attacks..This gives idea about how misleading actually ranking is..
    He averages 50 against AUS, and 40 against ENG

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectrum View Post
    This ranking is just as valid as Jasprit Bumrah number 1 ODI bowler

Debut
    Mar 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Babar player 20 t20I games. 10 against Windies. 400 out of 770 runs against Windies. Another 170 against world xi that too played in Pakistan I guess. Not sure how many great bowlers showed up for those games, wheather they played with or without jet lag.

Congrats for being ranked no 1. But I feel for other lower ranked batsmen played all across the world and played more against top teams.

I anyway personally don’t care about rankings, even team ranking in ODI and T20.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    chorley
    Runs
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Send1983 View Post
    Babar player 20 t20I games. 10 against Windies. 400 out of 770 runs against Windies. Another 170 against world xi that too played in Pakistan I guess. Not sure how many great bowlers showed up for those games, wheather they played with or without jet lag.

Congrats for being ranked no 1. But I feel for other lower ranked batsmen played all across the world and played more against top teams.

I anyway personally don’t care about rankings, even team ranking in ODI and T20.
    You can only beat who in front of you. Pak would be awesome if they played as much cricket as india. Thats the main difference between Pak and india. We hardly play test cricket hence no test bowling attack.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You don't care much about stats yet you took time out to look up how many matches he played against who and runs scored etc. LOL

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat_Track_Bully View Post
    If they reach their potential and hit form we will win a world cup.

It takes 6 world class players to win a world cup.

We are on the cusp of another golden era. Some say its already begun with CT win.
    There's no golden era here, maybe we need another tour in NZ to refresh people's memories. Batting is literally the worst in the world among the top sides. Bowling has depth but the underwhelming Amir still leads the pace attack when a golden era would see someone of his recent international stats nowhere near the team. When he becomes droppable then we're getting somewhere.

Debut
    Mar 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by emm-tee View Post
    You don't care much about stats yet you took time out to look up how many matches he played against who and runs scored etc. LOL
    Like I said, I would never play him in my international t20 team. But he is no 1 as per ranking and has over 50 average. Moreover many here calling him better than Rahul. That made me curious to know who he played against. After seeing the stats, I told myself my observation was correct. I would never let him anywhere close to my T20 team. I still stick to my original comment that he is very harmless, especially in T20, I would want player like him playing for the opponent team. I would happily let him play 50 balls.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ranking is a strange thing, I like Babar and I hope he will end up a Pakistan great, but not convinced he is a natural T20 player, would not include in national T20 team.

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hitthestump View Post
    There's no golden era here, maybe we need another tour in NZ to refresh people's memories. Batting is literally the worst in the world among the top sides. Bowling has depth but the underwhelming Amir still leads the pace attack when a golden era would see someone of his recent international stats nowhere near the team. When he becomes droppable then we're getting somewhere.
    1) Fakhar (world class opener)
    2) Babar (world class opener/3)
    3) Haris (world class 40/50 scorer)
    4) Talat (world class potential #4)
    5) Sarfaraz (world class captain, selfless gutsy batsman)
    6) *MISSING PIECE OF THE JIGSAW*
    7) Shadab (world class all rounder in the making)
    8) Faheem (world class all rounder in the making)
    9) Hasan (best bowler in the world, world class slogger of spin)
    10) Amir (best bowler in the world on his day, clutch tailender)
    11) Shaheen (future Wasim)

What are you saying? Pakistanís ODI team is destined for greatness if we can just find a #6 batsman.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by babajee View Post

What are you saying? Pakistanís ODI team is destined for greatness if we can just find a #6 batsman.
    I know of a good #6

Debut
    Aug 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

What are you saying? Pakistan’s ODI team is destined for greatness if we can just find a #6 batsman.
    with 10 ATG's, do we even need someone at #6? Have mercy on the opposition, just play with 10

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    You guys might think iím being sarcastic or joking but iím 100% serious.

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I hope we find the #6 batsman in PSL 4... if we do then winning the World Cup is a foregone conclusion.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Chicago
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post
    Pakistan opener Babar Azam has reclaimed the number-one batting ranking while wrist spinner Shadab Khan has vaulted into second position for the first time in his career in the latest MRF Tyres ICC T20I Player Rankings, which were released on Wednesday afternoon following the conclusion of Pakistan versus Windies series in Karachi on Tuesday.

Babar, who captained Pakistan in the ICC U19 Cricket World Cup 2012, was in stellar form when he scored 17, 97 not out and 51 as Pakistan consolidated their position at the top of the team rankings following a 3-0 series win. For this consistency, Babar was adjudged player of the series and was also rewarded with a jump of two places, which has made him the highest-ranked batsman in the shortest format of the game for the second time in less than 10 weeks.

Babar had first surged to the top on 28 January following the series against New Zealand, before Glenn Maxwell of Australia went top during the Australia-New Zealand-England T20I tri-series on 7 February. New Zealand’s Colin Munro finished the series on 24 February as the number-one ranked batsman.

When Babar topped the batting rankings in January, he had become the second Pakistan batsman after Misbah-ul-Haq (2008-2009) to claim the coveted number-one position.

For his efforts in Karachi, Babar earned 95 points, which put him ahead of Munro and Maxwell. Babar now leads Munro by 80 points, while Maxwell is another two points behind.

Other players to make an upward movement following this series include Shoaib Malik (32nd, up by four places), Fakhar Zaman (50th, up by 15 places), Hussain Talat (has entered in 54th spot) and Chadwick Walton (98th, up by 11 places).

In the bowling table, Shadab Khan has rocketed 10 places to second following his five wickets in the series. Shadab, who played in the ICC U19 Cricket World Cup 2016, collected 125 points from the just-concluded series, which has put him just 26 points behind fellow wrist spinner Rashid Khan of Afghanistan, who interestingly is just 14 days older than Shadab.

It is also interesting to point out that six of the seven top-ranked bowlers are wrist spinners (Rashid Khan, Shadab Khan, Yuzvendra Chahal, Ish Sodhi, Samuel Badree and Imran Tahir), while sixth-ranked Michael Santner of New Zealand is a left-arm spinner.

Fast bowlers Mohammad Amir and Hasan Ali are also on the charge in the latest rankings. Amir has lifted 15 places to 12th, while Hasan has jumped 10 places to a career-high 30th position.

Pakistan’s left-arm spinner Mohammad Nawaz is the biggest mover in the latest rankings. The 24-year-old took four wickets in the series, which has helped him to rise 66 places to a career-high 53rd rank.

Other bowlers to improve their rankings include Kesrick Williams (57th, up by seven places), Faheem Ashraf (68th, up by 24 places) and Shoaib Malik (82nd, up by five places).

Glenn Maxwell is the number-one ranked all-rounder, while Shoaib Malik is Pakistan’s highest-ranked all-rounder in ninth position after moving up by two places. Windies’ Marlon Samuels has slipped one place to fifth.

Meanwhile, Pakistan have opened up a four-point advantage over second-ranked Australia following a 3-0 win. In contrast, the Windies have dropped from fifth to seven after losing four points.

The annual update of the T20I team rankings will now be carried out on 1 May - all results from 1 May 2014 to 30 April 2015 will be dropped from calculations, while matches played from 1 May 2015 to 30 April 2017 will be weighted at 50 per cent and matches played from 1 May 2017 will be weighted at 100 per cent.

MRF Tyres ICC T20I Team Rankings (as on 4 April, following the conclusion of Pakistan v Windies series):

Rank Team Points
    1 Pakistan 130 (+4)
    2 Australia 126
    3 India 121
    4 New Zealand 116
    5 England 114
    6 South Africa 111
    7 Windies 111 (-4)
    8 Sri Lanka 89
    9 Afghanistan 88
    10 Bangladesh 77
    11 Scotland 67
    12 Zimbabwe 61
    13 UAE 52
    14 Netherlands 49
    15 Hong Kong 46
    16 PNG 39
    17 Oman 38
    18 Ireland 36
    Not sure how AUS is in 2nd and not India. They won Nidahas, they beat SA in SA, beat SL in India, won against NZ in India, drew against AUS in India, lost against WI, won Asia cup, semis in WC, beat AUS in AUS. Except for one series loss against WI in US, what other series did they lose? They won against quality teams but still are below AUS. Doesn't make sense considering AUS was a very poor T20 team until their tri series win

Debut
    Mar 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

White wash waiting.

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    White wash waiting.
    Keep the baduas rolling

Debut
    Jul 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shoaib Malik gives you the experience and stability at 6.

Pakistani batsmen - An endangered species?

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Chicago
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Agree with 1, 2, 5, 7, 9, 10. Partially agree with 3, 11.
    No. 4 is premature. 8 is a heck no considering the real world class Stokes himself can't do justice to both. 6 should have been Asif but I'm pretty sure it's Malik. All in all a potential for a fearless killer team. Will be interesting to watch as they get more experience.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Venue
    Chicago, IL
    Runs
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Agree with 2, 9 and 10. Partially agree with 5

Not so sure about the others. Fakhar needs to become more consistent to become a top player whilst Haris needs to prove himself in the T20 format. Shadab and Fahim also need to prove themselves with the bat consistently and not be classified as ďgreat all-roundersĒ by hitting random sixes here and there. Too early to say about no. 4

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't emphasise the value of Babar, he will be a better version of Mahela for Pakistan IA.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moghul View Post
    Ranking is a strange thing, I like Babar and I hope he will end up a Pakistan great, but not convinced he is a natural T20 player, would not include in national T20 team.
    You will be labeled a 'hater' in 3 ... 2... 1....

Hum na hon hamare baad, Sarfraz Sarfraz