Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yasir Shah ruled out of Pakistan Tests versus Ireland and England [Update Post #67]

Pakistan’s ace spinner, Yasir Shah is set to miss the only Test against Ireland and the two-match Test series against England, for which the team has to leave by the end of this month.

Yasir Shah missed the fitness test scheduled by the Pakistan Cricket Board at the National Cricket Academy (NCA) Lahore due to a groin fracture which he suffered last week. Moreover, Imad Wasim and Sohail Khan also did not appear for the test as they have not recovered from their injuries.

In absence of Yasir Shah, Shadab Khan may have a chance to shine in the longest format of the game as he has done for Pakistan in the limited-overs cricket. Shadab, the second-ranked T20I bowler, made his Test debut against the West Indies last year, however, he seemed a bit immature for the format during his outing.

Centrally contracted players, as well as other players like Shaheen Shah Afridi, Asif Ali, Hussain Talat, Sahibzada Farhan and Fawad Alam, have also been called for the fitness test.

Pakistan will play a four-day warm-up match against Kent and kick off the official tour with a one-off Test against Ireland on 11 May.

https://arysports.tv/yasir-shah-miss...mpression=true
    Last edited by AssassinatedDevil; 9th April 2018 at 09:22.

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably better for us.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Zafar Gohar.

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rinnegan Sasuke View Post
    Zafar Gohar.
    To miss another flight

Debut
    Dec 2005
    Venue
    Sharjah, U.A.E
    Runs
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Losing Yasir is a massive blow, even though the conditions in May won't be ideal for his bowling. The experience he brings to the team is invaluable for a tough tour.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Bangladesh
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, who should replace Yasir? Mohammad Asghar, shadab khan or Zafar Gohar?

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Bangladesh
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this time Mohammad Asghar should get a go.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4727 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    I think this is a blessing in disguise. He is a disaster on overseas pitches unless they are grassless like Lord's and Oval in 2016.

This might not be a popular opinion, but I think Pakistan should consider Nawaz or Imad for the Test team on overseas tours.

Both are better defensive options than Yasir and can bowl tight overs. In addition, they are far better batsmen than him. The problem with Yasir - as we saw in Australia and New Zealand - is that when he is not picking wickets, he gets smashed.

That is the difference him and the likes of Ashwin or Jadeja, who are also dependent on turning tracks, but they are able to bowl tight overs when they are unable to find wickets.

The difference between India's tour of Australia in 2014 and Pakistan's tour of Australia in 2016 was pretty much the difference between the performance of Ashwin and Yasir. Kohli is worth more than our entire batting lineup, but we actually batted better than expected.

However, Ashwin was very economical which allowed India to draw two Tests, but Yasir got smashed into smithereens, ensuring that Pakistan had no chance of drawing a match.

A better defensive spinner instead of Yasir, and Pakistan could have lost that series 1-0 or at worst 2-0. It certainly wouldn't have been a 3-0 whitewash.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Venue
    earth between north pole and south pole
    Runs
    Mentioned
    326 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well blessing is disguise I think. No need to play spinner. Shadab should play as an all rounder.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    I think this is a blessing in disguise. He is a disaster on overseas pitches unless they are grassless like Lord's and Oval in 2016.

This might not be a popular opinion, but I think Pakistan should consider Nawaz or Imad for the Test team on overseas tours.

Both are better defensive options than Yasir and can bowl tight overs. In addition, they are far better batsmen than him. The problem with Yasir - as we saw in Australia and New Zealand - is that when he is not picking wickets, he gets smashed.

That is the difference him and the likes of Ashwin or Jadeja, who are also dependent on turning tracks, but they are able to bowl tight overs when they are unable to find wickets.

The difference between India's tour of Australia in 2014 and Pakistan's tour of Australia in 2016 was pretty much the difference between the performance of Ashwin and Yasir. Kohli is worth more than our entire batting lineup, but we actually batted better than expected.

However, Ashwin was very economical which allowed India to draw two Tests, but Yasir got smashed into smithereens, ensuring that Pakistan had no chance of drawing a match.

A better defensive spinner instead of Yasir, and Pakistan could have lost that series 1-0 or at worst 2-0. It certainly wouldn't have been a 3-0 whitewash.
    You make a fair point in regards to Yasir's inability to operate as a defensive option. Certainly something he needs to work on and certainly no reason why he cannot improve.

However it is also true that if Yasir had not been there in our last England tour we most certainly would have lost the series rather than come away with a creditable draw. Ashwin as yet has not shown any indication of delivering such a match-defining performance in the SENA region, even if the pitch surprisingly is assisting spinners to an extent. So by that token many people - fans here and experts such as Warne - will still go with Yasir in an overseas tour

#MPGA

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Almere, Netherlands
    Runs
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Play Zafar instead, Shadab isn't ready for test cricket yet and Nawaz would only succeed in UAE.

Imad isn't good enough for test
    Last edited by Amirforpresident; 9th April 2018 at 10:29.

Debut
    Sep 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd bring in nawaz or zafar gohar

Debut
    Apr 2016
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    308 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I remember you ear marking Zafar as one for the future. You no longer rate him?

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good news for England

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How does one get injured not playing for months at a time?

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Blessing? What are you people on about? I don't remember the last test we won without a substantial contribution by Yasir, INCLUDING the two wins we notched up on our last tour to England. Yes he has an issue of getting beat up, but what's the alternative? Shadab isn't a test bowler and trying a new spinner abroad is a horrible idea.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4727 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellipsism View Post
    I remember you ear marking Zafar as one for the future. You no longer rate him?
    Zafar is arguably the most exciting young spinner in the country, but conditions in England in early summer call for a spinner who can make contributions with the bat. He is not a number 11, but he is not as good as Imad or Nawaz either.

I would specially select Imad or Nawaz for overseas tours. In Asia/UAE, Zafar should be our second spinner.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4727 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slog View Post
    You make a fair point in regards to Yasir's inability to operate as a defensive option. Certainly something he needs to work on and certainly no reason why he cannot improve.

However it is also true that if Yasir had not been there in our last England tour we most certainly would have lost the series rather than come away with a creditable draw. Ashwin as yet has not shown any indication of delivering such a match-defining performance in the SENA region, even if the pitch surprisingly is assisting spinners to an extent. So by that token many people - fans here and experts such as Warne - will still go with Yasir in an overseas tour
    It has a lot to do with the fact that he is a leg-spinner. Unless you are Shane Warne, it is hard for leg-spinner to be able to bowl well defensively.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4727 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Zafar is arguably the most exciting young spinner in the country, but conditions in England in early summer call for a spinner who can make contributions with the bat. He is not a number 11, but he is not as good as Imad or Nawaz either.

I would specially select Imad or Nawaz for overseas tours. In Asia/UAE, Zafar should be our second spinner.
    specifically*

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Imad can’t hold a bat these days. Before he was a classy batsman but now he has transformed into a total hack.

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Might as well say Shoaib Malik with that line of thinking.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4727 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by babajee View Post
    Imad can’t hold a bat these days. Before he was a classy batsman but now he has transformed into a total hack.
    He has regressed but he can still score some runs. One can expect him to average around 25, which is more than good enough if he can bowl 25-30 tight overs per innings.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4727 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HuzaifaE View Post
    Might as well say Shoaib Malik with that line of thinking.
    In overseas Tests, unless the pitches are dry and grassless, Malik would be the ideal option as a spin-bowling all-rounder batting at number 8. However, he has retired from Tests.

Hafeez is a good choice to, provided that he agrees that he will not chuck at some point in the series to buy a wicket.

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In overseas Tests, unless the pitches are dry and grassless, Malik would be the ideal option as a spin-bowling all-rounder batting at number 8. However, he has retired from Tests.

Hafeez is a good choice to, provided that he agrees that he will not chuck at some point in the series to buy a wicket.
    The one thing I'll agree to here is that Hafeez when not chucking/while not detected to be chucking gave us far, far more stability across all formats than people gave him credit for.

Debut
    Feb 2011
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Shadab Khan for me, considering the conditions.

You are not a drop in the ocean - You are the entire ocean in a drop
    - Rumi

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do not think bits and pieces cricketers like Imad or Nawaz are appropriate for Test cricket, that too in England.

I would consider Shadab Khan very seriously, but also Mohammed Irfan (I have been very impressed with his skill set and he seems a very rounded performer).

I think Asghar will also be in consideration. Zafar Gauhar too.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    chorley
    Runs
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kashif bhatti is in camp and has impressed micky with his rhythm and bowling speed. Bilal Asif and Shadab also being considered.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having watched a lot of cricket at most of the grounds here in England, I doubt there is going to be as much assistance in the early part of the season so this is a good opportunity for Pakistan to a pick a more defensive bowler which is what is really needed. Yasir I doubt would have had much impact and probably ended up getting carted around anyway.

It's also a great opportunity for Pakistan to increase the depth in their batting which is so important with such a frail and inexperienced line up. Would like to see Nawaz or Imad play with the following side:

Azhar Ali
    Pick one out of the hat - all useless
    Haris Sohail
    Salahuddin
    Fawad Alam/Shafiq
    Babar
    Sarfraz
    Nawz/Imad
    Hasan Ali
    Amir
    M.Abbas

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shadab doesn't have the control required for Test match cricket. He might take wickets but he won't be taking them at an average of 25-30. It would be more like 50 which we can't afford given the brittle batting lineup that we have after the retirements of Misbah and Younis.

Also given that we are playing in the early English summer, spin might not be that important anyways. Might as well bring in someone who can bowl decently but can give you 35 runs on average. I'm not sure we have decent batsmen that can bowl a good line and length as well. Nawaz is the closest I can think of right now. But he might be a walking wicket in the seaming conditions.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4727 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Shadab is likely to suffer from the same weaknesses as Yasir in non-spinning conditions. He is prone to getting whacked, and he does not have enough control to bowl economical spells unless he is able to take wickets.

He has a Test future, but only after Yasir retires in a few years.

Shadab can possibly return with the following figures in England in May:

25-3-110-2

While Imad/Nawaz might give you:

25-6-80-1

Shadab might take a wicket or two more, or score 10-15 extra runs on average, but it will be difficult for him to keep is economy rate below 4 on green pitches.

Considering all factors, I think that Imad/Nawaz edge Shadab for the upcoming England series.

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shadab is likely to suffer from the same weaknesses as Yasir in non-spinning conditions. He is prone to getting whacked, and he does not have enough control to bowl economical spells unless he is able to take wickets.

25-3-110-2

25-6-80-1

Shadab might take a wicket or two more, or score 10-15 extra runs on average, but it will be difficult for him to keep is economy rate below 4 on green pitches.

Considering all factors, I think that Imad/Nawaz edge Shadab for the upcoming England series.
    No point of that then.

May as well play Faheem Ashraf. He is a good bowler and gets good seam movement so will be a wicket taking option and has scored FC centuries. He’s not gonna get tonked either.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4727 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    No point of that then.

May as well play Faheem Ashraf. He is a good bowler and gets good seam movement so will be a wicket taking option and has scored FC centuries. He’s not gonna get tonked either.
    I do not like the idea of an all-pace attack, and Fahim is very much prone to having a high economy rate. Imad and Nawaz will be economical 8/10 times. You know what you are getting with them.

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do not like the idea of an all-pace attack, and Fahim is very much prone to having a high economy rate. Imad and Nawaz will be economical 8/10 times. You know what you are getting with them.
    We’ve got Haris to do the honors with his left arm spin.

Faheem bowls a good length for test cricket. Doubt he would get milked. He hardly gets smashed in limited overs anyway

Didn’t India play with all pace attack in SA?

Debut
    Jun 2015
    Venue
    Srinagar
    Runs
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just stick in chota Klusener and go all pace
    Amir
    Hasan
    Abbas
    Faheem

Abbas the only bunny in the XI

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

He is Pakistan's best bowler, has a ten for and a couple of 5 fors in England, can be a match winner on his own, a gun fielder, a handy bat and brings tonnes of cricketing knowledge....NO NO NO!

There is literally no spinner in world cricket good enough to replace him, let alone Shadab, who is too young and not at test level. Usama Mir? Gohar?

This is a shambles.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We’ve got Haris to do the honors with his left arm spin.

Faheem bowls a good length for test cricket. Doubt he would get milked. He hardly gets smashed in limited overs anyway

Didn’t India play with all pace attack in SA?
    Yeah...and they lost rather comfortably against Steyn-less SA, I think SA lost another player along the way too.

Anyway, England are worse against spin and Shah was an out and out match winner last time, so a world class spinner is needed...where can we find one?

Debut
    Jul 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The bowling attack should be selected based on their ability to take 20 wickets as a group.

Pakistani batsmen - An endangered species?

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    208 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Mamoon i agreed with you regarding Yasir weakness to keep it tight.Imad is not a turner of the ball so no chance,May be Nawaz or Zafar can be there.

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shadab Khan is NOTa Test Bowler. Better of going with Zulfiqar Babar.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Venue
    Chicago, IL
    Runs
    Mentioned
    258 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

25-3-110-2

25-6-80-1

Shadab will get whacked for sure but don’t let that fool you because Imad and Nawaz will be worse. As soon as someone goes after them - they lose most of their control and rhythm and will get taken to the cleaners.

Agree that Hafeez would have probably been our best option but he is not in Mickey’s plans anymore.

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best 11 u could play.

In order to win test, u need to have a bowling attack to win take 20 wiclets. So best is improve ur bowling, without compromising on batting.

1.Fakhar (for quick starts)
    2.Sami(to keep wickets)
    3.Azhar(Wall)
    4.Haris (technically sound, and plays at decent strike rate)
    5.Asad(final chance, just for experience)
    6.Sarfraz + * (give him responsibility)
    7.Shadab (spinner won't be effective in early summer, atleast shadab can give 25 runs)
    8.Faheem (4th seamer and 20 runs)
    9.Amir
    10.Hassan
    11.Abbas

Amir
    Abbas
    Hassan
    Fahim
    Shadab

Good bowling attack

Average contribution:

Sami will give u 40
    Fakhar 35
    Azhar 50
    Haris 40
    Asad 30
    Sarfraz 40
    Shadab 25
    Faheem 20
    Amir 15
    Hassan 20
    Abbas and extras 15

Total is 330, and u have 5 bowlers and Haris as part timer for 5th day.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shadab is too inexperienced and Yasir injured.

That leaves a certain Z. Gohar but Mickey wasn't all that impressed with him since he barely played. He's probably the best option as he can extract the most turn out of anyone in Pakistan atm.

"Preventive war is like committing suicide for fear of death" ~ Otto Von Bismarck

Debut
    Jan 2012
    Venue
    Sydney, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Apparently Kashif Bhatti, Bilal Asif and Shadab are the 3 players being considered as replacements

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by angrypathan View Post
    Apparently Kashif Bhatti, Bilal Asif and Shadab are the 3 players being considered as replacements
    Will take shadab put of the 3.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After keeping Md Ashgar in the test squad of 15 members, for more than a year it is higly unlikely to debut a new spinner or recall another Player.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    347 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Big blow but I don't think he would have been useful in the early season English conditions. We should go with a spinner who can keep it tight.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Between Rawalpindi and Hobart
    Runs
    Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    people are understating how big of a blow this is. Yasir bowled a crazy amount of overs for us, something i cant see anyone replicating

However this is a good opportunity to try out someone new. If they go with Shadab we have to trust the management's judgement.

Personally, I see little point in going for Bhatti when Nawaz offers the same things but is much younger or Zafar who I think is the best pure spinner we have .

"Last time Uganda toured Canada, half their team ran away to start a new life" - cricfan967

Debut
    Feb 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amir
    Asif
    Hasan
    Wahab
    Spin all rounder (like Moeen Ali)

This should be the bowling attack if Pakistan wants to win.

Debut
    Feb 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The rest of the attack is useless. It's either Yasir or bust.

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't know why they are considering Bilal and Kashif when Zafar gohar is way better then better them and way better fielder and can hold a bat. Mickey needs to get him

Debut
    Dec 2005
    Venue
    ahmedabad
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Given that's PCB used Dukes ball for the QEA trophy, they should just pick the top performing seamers. Slow experience trundlers like James kirtley and Stuart Clarke is the way to go. You shouldn't need spinners to win in England in may.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    347 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Imad Wasim is out of the tour. @Mamoon.

Debut
    Aug 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is bad news...he was one of the reasons why pakistan drew 2-2 last time pak toured england.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    Motown
    Runs
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Big blow...Pakistan can either throw in another surprise leg spinner in Usama Mir or go with one of the left armers in Asghar or Gohar..preferably Gohar.

Debut
    Feb 2013
    Venue
    Glasgow/Scotland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would take Shadab or Nawaz as they will useful with the bat which will be required ps can’t wait to be in Dublin to watch this historic game

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Would want to see Zafar Gohar play but looks like he isn't being considered unfortunately. I think Shadab could be an interesting pick but he's still inexperienced at the first class level and I'm not convinced he'd do well at the test level.

1. Azhar Ali
    2. Sami Aslam/Shan Masood
    3. Haris Sohail
    4. Babar Azam
    5. Usman Salahuddin/Fawad Alam/ some other batsman
    6. Asad Shafiq
    7. Sarfraz Ahmed
    8. Hasan Ali
    9. Zafar Gohar
    10. Mohammad Amir
    11. Mohammad Abbas

Debut
    May 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This is big loss because he bowled a big chunk of our overs. But this might make way for a 4 man seam bowling attack, with 1 spin bowling all rounder and Haris Sohail to bowl the rest of the overs.

We could potentially have a line up of

Amir
    Hassan
    Abbas
    Shinwari/Rahat the destroyer
    Nawaz/Shadab

Might need to replace Amir as well when he’s to tired to bowl in the second test after picking a grand total of 1 wicket

Debut
    Mar 2007
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a big blow to Pakistan as saw him live at both Lords and the Oval test last year. Not only did he bowl the majority of the overs and was instrumental in our two wins, but he seemed to have a psychological edge over the English batsmen which you could feel in the crowd e.g. when he got Root out in the 2nd innings at the Oval when he was just trying to play out the day, which then triggered the collapse

Anyone else brought in will not be able to replicate that. And I am not for an all pace attack either. Damn, was hoping to see him again as going to 3rd day of the Lords test....

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    420 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Have a feeling they're gonna go with Nawaz as he's the only one that's played before. Unlikely to see a debutant in these conditions as much as I would like to see Zafar.

A skilled hawk conceals its talons.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1557 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    It's the Mickey effect - he has made sure that no player* is picked without 100% confidence on fitness.
    It's a blessing in disguise actually - dropping Yasir wasn't going to be easy for anyone, but he isn't required for those 2 Tests to be honest. They can take a leg-spinner to UK, but it's not suggested to play him in May-June Tests. 4 pacers + Hari, Asad & Azhar is perfect combination.

*However, Captain shouldn't be considered among ordinary team members.

Debut
    Nov 2010
    Venue
    Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1st test vs eng starts on 24th May... can't he get fit by that time ;/

#BestOfTest

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shadab and Nawaz look like the obvious choices

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Destroyer View Post
    Have a feeling they're gonna go with Nawaz as he's the only one that's played before. Unlikely to see a debutant in these conditions as much as I would like to see Zafar.
    The names being mentioned are Bilal Asif, Kashif Bhatti and Shadab.

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Attock
    Runs
    Mentioned
    388 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Destroyer View Post
    What about that leggy Mohammad Irfan ? He averages 30 with the bat in first class.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Attock
    Runs
    Mentioned
    388 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post
    Although I have not seen Kashif's bowling but his stats are impressive.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenstorm View Post
    Although I have not seen Kashif's bowling but his stats are impressive.
    Tbh pretty much every bowler has good stats in FC cricket

Kashif Bhatti is probably being considered also due to his two FC hundreds... Mickey likes spinners that can bat, we know that by now.

Haven't seen him bowl much though.

To be fair to him, he was the highest wicket-taking spinner in the 2017/18 season of QEA - 49 wickets @ 16 with Dukes' balls being used.
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 9th April 2018 at 15:33.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Yasir Shah ruled out of Pakistan Tests v Ireland & England

Pakistan have been dealt a blow by the news that leading leg-spinner Yasir Shah has been ruled out of action for the forthcoming Tests against Ireland and England.

The 31-year-old is facing 10 weeks of rehabilitation from a stress fracture to the hip that means he will miss Ireland's debut Test in Dublin (11 May) and the following two Tests against England at Lord's (24 May) and Headingley (1 June).

Pakistan are considering leg-spinner Shadab Khan, off-spinner Bilal Asif and left-arm spinner Kashif Bhatti as possible replacements, chief selector Inzamam-ul-Haq said.

Yasir will be a significant loss, having been central to Pakistan's Test successes since 2014, taking 165 wickets in 28 Test matches.

https://www.icc-cricket.com/news/661209

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Can't believe people are saying this is good for us. PP experts at their finest

Shah is borderline ATG category and has been instrumental in our team's success at home and abroad. This is like a deathblow to our chances.

#Hum apko container deingaye dharnay ke liyay

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post

Shah is borderline ATG category and has been instrumental in our team's success at home and abroad. This is like a deathblow to our chances.
    Nahi yaar. He’s been a TTF on green tops.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1656 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post

Not at all.

English pitches in May are soft and damp. Yasir Shah wouldn’t have even got a bowl - like the NZ series 16 months ago.

Debut
    Mar 2018
    Venue
    Skardu, GB
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Recall Zulfiqar Babar

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Runs
    Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Nahi yaar. He’s been a TTF on green tops.
    he isn't an ATG but he is a Pakistan great

His record when read is mediocre outside of Asia but he got two opportunities to win us a game in England and he did so on both occasions, how many spinners not named Warne or Murali can astest to that ?

"Last time Uganda toured Canada, half their team ran away to start a new life" - cricfan967

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pakistanigoneaussie View Post
    he isn't an ATG but he is a Pakistan great

His record when read is mediocre outside of Asia but he got two opportunities to win us a game in England and he did so on both occasions, how many spinners not named Warne or Murali can astest to that ?
    I love Yasir.

But he has no use on a green top.

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Asch Ali View Post
    Recall Zulfiqar Babar
    i would take saqlain mushtaq.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Runs
    Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I love Yasir.

But he has no use on a green top.
    first test is at lords, i known last year is was low scoring but in general it offers more for the spinnners

headingley yes will be a green seamer.

Regardless though, it would have been great to have him as an option in the squad

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    420 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenstorm View Post
    What about that leggy Mohammad Irfan ? He averages 30 with the bat in first class.
    Wouldn't be fair to throw him in there. He's never bowled outside of SC. Zafar has experience bowling in alien conditions.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    420 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post
    Well, it doesn't really matter. It's all the same. We will need our seamers to do most of the damage.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    943 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Disappointing news given our heavy reliance on Yasir. The only silver lining is that his bowling wouldn't be suited to early season English conditions.
    Whenever I've seen Nawaz, I've been extremely underwhelmed. He's shown next to nothing with the bat at international level or in PSL so wouldn't strength the batting greatly. Also I'm skeptical whether his bowling will be threatening outside Asia and the Caribbean.

Rather we play a pure spinner like Zafar Gohar but from the names mentioned in the articles I'd prefer to see Shadab Khan the most.

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Terrible news. Yasir was really important last time despite the stats, he was matchwinning for us.

Pacers will have to really step up this time now, they weren't amazing last tour. Sohail was our best pacer last time, but likely he won't play as he's fallen out of favour.

I'd go with Shadab. Has experience in international cricket, can hold a bat, has played in England before and against English batsmen. Isn't probably ready for test cricket, but don't think any of them really are. Zafar and Ashgar haven't debuted in test cricket either. We should have debuted Ashgar in SL series as well, we had our chance to. England isn't the place to debut a spinner.

Imad and Nawaz might play containing roles, and can bat a bit but think it's still nice to have the option of someone who can actually do damage on a turning pitch in the latter innings. Don't think those two can.

Play Shadab, even though it's likely he won't excel at this stage. Might as well give him the experience as he likely will take over from Yasir in the future anyway. I don't think he'll do any worse than the others.

More important that the Pacers actually step up this time. Especially Amir, this will be the third time he tours England if he plays.

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Massive Blow to Pakistan.
    It's time for Shadab to SHINE!