Dec 2016
    Venue
    Jeddah
    Runs
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is Fawad Alam's exclusion from Test squad for Ireland and England tours justified?

Views??

I think he should have been selected

We will never surrender. We win or we die. And don't think it stops there. You will have the next generation to fight; and after the next, the next.

OMAR MUKHTAR

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7275 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Honestly, there was no need to pick 3 more openers if Azhar is also going to open. Fawad deserved to be there.

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Justified. You have four middle order spots, 5 players make the cut.

1. Babar must be supported and persisted with, you risk Umar Akmal 2.0 if you drop him from the test side now (that was the catalyst for Umar's decline if anyone remembers)

2. Haris is our best player of pace and our best batsman alongside Azhar in my book

3. Usman has been waiting for his well deserved chance for over a year with the main team, would be absolutely ridiculous to shunt him, his call up was on merit in the first place and that hasn't changed

4. Shafiq, although so much about him infuriates me, scored a ton in his last innings and still has proven foreign pedigree, albeit his ridiculous inconsistencies

5. Saad EASILY outperformed Fawad in the QeA trophy last time and without a shadow of a doubt earned his spot ahead of him, anyone thinking otherwise is guilty of not believing the same numbers they use to revere Fawad as our shunted dark knight

I genuinely think there's no argument for Fawad in the 16 man team ahead of these players, playing in English conditions. None.

We need Azhar opening, Imam/Sami is a form based call and both will learn valuable lessons from such a tour, while Fakhar represents a completely different gameplan, so while Inzi may get flak for it, I can defend the 4 openers, so I won't buy the argument of dropping Imam/Sami for Fawad.

Debut
    Sep 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This topic has been talked to no ends. Everyone knows guy deserves a call up atleast once based on his infinitely good stats in domestic cricket.

It just feels like a tape recorder going on and on about it on the same topic, I guess even Fawad is not as disappointed anymore. Feel his best age was the last England tour he was axed from. That felt like a grave injustice and that was a legtimitate tragedy. This time its more acceptance than grief for him. The stage that he is in his life right now. He is well past the 5 stages of grief

Point is he has realized that this will never happen for him. And he will have to move on because its just not meant to be.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not a conspiracy theorist or a Fawad Alam fan.

I do however believe the whole move of including Fawad Alam in the probables was cruel and cowardly.

If he is not in the plans, have the guts to tell him to his face.

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Venue
    Jeddah
    Runs
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We will never surrender. We win or we die. And don't think it stops there. You will have the next generation to fight; and after the next, the next.

OMAR MUKHTAR

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Venue
    Jeddah
    Runs
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guys atleast check what is in the articles before posting links here

OMAR MUKHTAR

Debut
    Feb 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sadly it is too late for Fawad. He is getting older and his FC average has been in decline for the past few years. Mickey wants to build a team for the future.

Fakhar Zaman is not being considered as an opener but as a middle order bat.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    267 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think he would struggle overseas and it seems as though we are going with younger players. He should have got a chance earlier in his career. But now it's time to move on.

Debut
    Feb 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes justified. He would have struggled in England with that technique.

Talat should have been selected instead of Imam.

Sarfi as captain'll lead us to glory.Babar'll be our best odi bat & Haris'll be world class in tests

Debut
    Apr 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really unfortunate, he was averaging over 40+ when they dropped him from Pakistan team. This injustice will not be forgotten easily. Likes of Shoaib Malik and other inferior cricketers were selected to replace him. Inzamam and Haroon Rashees like selectors will have to reply on Alam all their lives how they played politics with cricketer's career.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is almost exactly the squad I wanted but yes, the exclusion of Fawad is at best odd...at worst dark.

I don't think the battle is between picking Saad or Fawad, they bat in different positions, the issue is, IF Saad is being picked, with Fakhar and Azhar already first choice picks, was there any reason to pick a 5th top order bat in Imam? I mean, they also have Sami (great choice!).

But can't complain too much as this is a squad that is looking to build for the future...not sold on Haris at all and I cant find him having done much in the Pakistani domestic FC season last year. Maybe his ODI performances have gotten him a place this tour.

Debut
    Aug 2009
    Venue
    home
    Runs
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HuzaifaE View Post

1. Babar must be supported and persisted with, you risk Umar Akmal 2.0 if you drop him from the test side now (that was the catalyst for Umar's decline if anyone remembers)

2. Haris is our best player of pace and our best batsman alongside Azhar in my book

3. Usman has been waiting for his well deserved chance for over a year with the main team, would be absolutely ridiculous to shunt him, his call up was on merit in the first place and that hasn't changed

4. Shafiq, although so much about him infuriates me, scored a ton in his last innings and still has proven foreign pedigree, albeit his ridiculous inconsistencies

5. Saad EASILY outperformed Fawad in the QeA trophy last time and without a shadow of a doubt earned his spot ahead of him, anyone thinking otherwise is guilty of not believing the same numbers they use to revere Fawad as our shunted dark knight

I genuinely think there's no argument for Fawad in the 16 man team ahead of these players, playing in English conditions. None.

We need Azhar opening, Imam/Sami is a form based call and both will learn valuable lessons from such a tour, while Fakhar represents a completely different gameplan, so while Inzi may get flak for it, I can defend the 4 openers, so I won't buy the argument of dropping Imam/Sami for Fawad.
    Fawad was competing with Babar for the slot, not Saad. Umar Akmal had a decent average when he was unjustly dropped from tests. Babar's is nowhere close to that. If you go on a tour with the mentality of accommodating certain players and not with that of winning the series, then that is the result you will get.

Even in domestics, Umar is a mile ahead of Babar as far as FC is concerned so please research before stating your assumptions as facts.

In merit vs potential, potential usually causes the greatest heartbreak

Debut
    Sep 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AFM View Post
    Sadly it is too late for Fawad. He is getting older and his FC average has been in decline for the past few years. Mickey wants to build a team for the future.

Fakhar Zaman is not being considered as an opener but as a middle order bat.
    Still fitter than Babar azam and hassan ali, puts youngsters to shame with his fitness

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by asfandyar View Post
    Fawad was competing with Babar for the slot, not Saad. Umar Akmal had a decent average when he was unjustly dropped from tests. Babar's is nowhere close to that. If you go on a tour with the mentality of accommodating certain players and not with that of winning the series, then that is the result you will get.

Even in domestics, Umar is a mile ahead of Babar as far as FC is concerned so please research before stating your assumptions as facts.
    Babar endured some of the toughest tours a Pakistani batsman can get, NZ and Australia. If you think not investing in your most promising batsman is a good idea on a sample size of 10 matches, I can't say much. Keep your research and data spreedsheet accountant analysis to yourself thanks.

Debut
    Aug 2009
    Venue
    home
    Runs
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Babar endured some of the toughest tours a Pakistani batsman can get, NZ and Australia. If you think not investing in your most promising batsman is a good idea on a sample size of 10 matches, I can't say much. Keep your research and data spreedsheet accountant analysis to yourself thanks.
    Spreadsheet over your "a good fisherman can be a good test cricketer because both are good at catching" mentality any day.

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spreadsheet over your "a good fisherman can be a good test cricketer because both are good at catching" mentality any day.
    On what basis is Fawad competing with Babar instead of Saad exactly? Did the selectors state where exactly in the middle order he is considered viable or is that another data quirk your intricate research has discovered?v

Debut
    Aug 2009
    Venue
    home
    Runs
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On what basis is Fawad competing with Babar instead of Saad exactly? Did the selectors state where exactly in the middle order he is considered viable or is that another data quirk your intricate research has discovered?v
    A new entrant replaces a ttf. That is a given. Moreover, since you have mentioned Babar at number 1 in a post titled "Is Fawad Alam's exclusion from Test squad for Ireland and England tours justified?", I hope we are not getting to the point of contradicting ourselves are we?

A word of advice: read your own posts before posting dross.

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A new entrant replaces a ttf. That is a given. Moreover, since you have mentioned Babar at number 1 in a post titled "Is Fawad Alam's exclusion from Test squad for Ireland and England tours justified?", I hope we are not getting to the point of contradicting ourselves are we?

A word of advice: read your own posts before posting dross.
    No, a slot that is open is competed for by players trying to outperform each other in domestics. Saad Ali outperformed Fawad Alam. Moreover, I mentioned at the top of my post that 5 spots in the middle order are up for grabs in the 16 man squad and arbitrarily listed arguments for each of the 5 players that made the cut regardless of order of precedence.

A word of advice: understand someone's post and come prepared with content instead of condescension before posting dross.

Debut
    Aug 2009
    Venue
    home
    Runs
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, a slot that is open is competed for by players trying to outperform each other in domestics. Saad Ali outperformed Fawad Alam. Moreover, I mentioned at the top of my post that 5 spots in the middle order are up for grabs in the 16 man squad and arbitrarily listed arguments for each of the 5 players that made the cut regardless of order of precedence.

A word of advice: understand someone's post and come prepared with content instead of condescension before posting dross.
    Content:

Hint: pay attention to the actual content of the post, not how it looks or its future potential.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not surprised. To be honest, he hasn't been that good in domestics recently anyway and he would have been made the scapegoat had we performed badly.

Debut
    Apr 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hadi123 View Post
    Not surprised. To be honest, he hasn't been that good in domestics recently anyway and he would have been made the scapegoat had we performed badly.
    How great are we performing btw? Pakistan lost 2 tests at their home turf chasing 120 runs due to collapse initiated by Inzi favorite batting lineup. And most of them are in the team going to Ireland, UK, Sami Aslam, wonder boy Babar Azam [with a 20 average in Tests] and Pakistan's duck scorer Asad Shafiq.

He has already been made a scapegoat with many excuses. He scored a century on debut in Sri Lanka, one has'nt even given him chance. To speculate by posters how he will do without playing, is really ludicrous.

Debut
    May 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I am part of the group which feels it is too late for Fawad. No point bringing in a player who is 30+ and has been on the decline even in FC cricket.

It's sad how Fawad has been treated throughout his career. He should never have been dropped from Tests. I must admire his work ethic: he was treated unfairly series after series but kept his head down, performed every time and is still one of the fittest player in Pakistan. An absolute legend of Pakistan's domestic cricket.

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True. And he was thrusted into the most difficult batting position in test match cricket.

Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    NB, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Justice for Fawad

Babar Azam: Runs 8032, Average 44, Top Score: 204, Fav fan: CricFan2012

Debut
    Oct 2007
    Venue
    Amsterdam / Faisalabad
    Runs
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People are getting emotional but this might be good for Fawad Alam. A few poor showings in the UK could have been the end of him in international cricket.

In the UAE he will be able to cement his place and be a permanent member of the team. I have a feeling that Wahab and Fawad will be in for the UAE tests.

"You aren't a failure if you fail, you are a failure if you don't get up to try again" - Imran Khan.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Between Rawalpindi and Hobart
    Runs
    Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fahdi View Post
    I am part of the group which feels it is too late for Fawad. No point bringing in a player who is 30+ and has been on the decline even in FC cricket.

It's sad how Fawad has been treated throughout his career. He should never have been dropped from Tests. I must admire his work ethic: he was treated unfairly series after series but kept his head down, performed every time and is still one of the fittest player in Pakistan. An absolute legend of Pakistan's domestic cricket.
    I agree with this 100 percent

Fawad has been wronged and it is too late, both these things can be true at the same time.

It harsh, it leaves a bad feeling in the stomach, but the team comes first.

"Last time Uganda toured Canada, half their team ran away to start a new life" - cricfan967

Debut
    Apr 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Social media and Pakistani media is quite angry and vocal right now regarding Fawad Alam.

Inzi the legend and his non-deserving nephew Imam both are being bashed left, right and centre. Pakistani media will take the board to task.

Debut
    Aug 2009
    Venue
    home
    Runs
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know you are allergic to spreadsheets, but here's one. In his short career, he has performed better in NZ, but poorly against supposedly easier teams in UAE and West Indies. Australia is fair game as far as your point is concerned. He will play the bulk of his test matches in UAE, so foreign inability is not as much of a problem as his lack of performance in domestics (against trundlers on Pakistani pitches) and UAE.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/eng...s;type=batting

Also, his non-performance in tests will eventually pressurize him in ODIs (which are usually played after tests). Can't afford to lose our best ODI batsman's form.

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1097 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Although Fawad did not have a good last FC season (as per his standards) but He should have made the squad of 16.

We shouldn't have selected 5 Openers and Fawad Alam should have been picked.

Yes, his technique is not ideal but He knows how to score runs so did Shivnarine Chanderpaul.

Inzamam overall has been a good selector but wrt Fawad He has been very very harsh.

Inzamam & his best friend Mohd Yousaf do not rate Fawad Alam at all. (That's the big issue)

Debut
    Apr 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince of Pakistan View Post
    People are getting emotional but this might be good for Fawad Alam. A few poor showings in the UK could have been the end of him in international cricket.

In the UAE he will be able to cement his place and be a permanent member of the team. I have a feeling that Wahab and Fawad will be in for the UAE tests.
    Seriously doubt he'll be in contention again. Having a feeling he will soon move out to another country which I think is his right. His 4 importantyears have gone down the drain for a 33 average nephew of chief selector.

Also this fake drama and crying going on by some munafiq anchors and Pakistani sportsmedia is just to convert the outrage of fans into ratings, nothing else. Media knows beforehand who'll be in the squad. Media, the nepotistic selectors like Inzamam and Haroon Rasheed [who removed Fawad from team for Shoaib Malik] and PCB all ruined Fawad Alam's career.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sad! where is merit? and why domestic place exits? blindness.. even we win every match. wining is not one thing?

Debut
    Dec 2005
    Venue
    Sharjah, U.A.E
    Runs
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fawad will be in Pakistan's Test squad come October/November. He wouldn't have done much with that technique against Anderson and Broad in England, thus shutting the door on his international career forever. These young guns are lambs for slaughter and I wouldn't be surprised if immense media pressure gets Fawad Alam into the team come the UAE tests after a disastrous UK tour.

Debut
    Feb 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think its a blessing in disguise for Faadi. He wouldnt have survived in England with that technique which may have ended his career. Now his stocks will get higher for selection in our next series in UAE where imo he should make the side for his ability against spin.

Sarfi as captain'll lead us to glory.Babar'll be our best odi bat & Haris'll be world class in tests

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Fawad has the same problem that Chris Read had; he looks ugly at the crease.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazim_Pak86 View Post
    Seriously doubt he'll be in contention again. Having a feeling he will soon move out to another country which I think is his right. His 4 importantyears have gone down the drain for a 33 average nephew of chief selector.

Also this fake drama and crying going on by some munafiq anchors and Pakistani sportsmedia is just to convert the outrage of fans into ratings, nothing else. Media knows beforehand who'll be in the squad. Media, the nepotistic selectors like Inzamam and Haroon Rasheed [who removed Fawad from team for Shoaib Malik] and PCB all ruined Fawad Alam's career.
    Your making out that he is some Don Bradman, he isnt, but i agree that looking at some guys that have been picked over him over the years, he deserved a chance. As i have said many times, he just looks ugly at the crease and when 50/50 calls are made, he has lost out.

Debut
    Apr 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bewal Express View Post
    Your making out that he is some Don Bradman, he isnt, but i agree that looking at some guys that have been picked over him over the years, he deserved a chance. As i have said many times, he just looks ugly at the crease and when 50/50 calls are made, he has lost out.
    IF you had watched Don Bradman batting style you would've been scolding his unattractive looking batting as well. JAved Miandad was'nt that fantastic to look at but he is way above most batsmen in Pakistan. Nobody is calling Fawad Bradmanesque, just asking why match winner middle order player that won Pakistan close matches v Bangladesh [chasing 320+] and volunteered to open in Sri Lanka when no senior wanted to bat up and hit 168 on debut, should've been treated at least 50% as of some stalwarts like Selfie Shehzad and amazing Umar Akmal.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazim_Pak86 View Post
    IF you had watched Don Bradman batting style you would've been scolding his unattractive looking batting as well. JAved Miandad was'nt that fantastic to look at but he is way above most batsmen in Pakistan. Nobody is calling Fawad Bradmanesque, just asking why match winner middle order player that won Pakistan close matches v Bangladesh [chasing 320+] and volunteered to open in Sri Lanka when no senior wanted to bat up and hit 168 on debut, should've been treated at least 50% as of some stalwarts like Selfie Shehzad and amazing Umar Akmal.
    Times have changed, and i am telling you that its do with his stance. But i do agree that he should have been given a chance just as a reward for his Domestic stats like Saad Ali has.

Debut
    Nov 2010
    Venue
    Paradise
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Excellent post.

Debut
    May 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pakistanigoneaussie View Post
    I agree with this 100 percent

Fawad has been wronged and it is too late, both these things can be true at the same time.

It harsh, it leaves a bad feeling in the stomach, but the team comes first.
    Yep. Sad but true. Fawad may still be a beast in Asia but he no longer worth investing in at the moment. Reality is harsh but people need to face it.

The selectors of the past need to be held accountable for how Fawad was treated but at present Fawad shouldn't come into the team.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Gold's Gym
    Runs
    Mentioned
    913 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes, it's criminal to be selecting Babar ahead of Fawad. I wonder if Babar will be able to maintain his average of 23.75.
    Last edited by hadi123; 15th April 2018 at 16:36.

Loyalty is a very expensive gift, don't expect it from cheap people.

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Inzi can't do anything about Fawad, even if he wanted to select him.

Order peeche se aaye hain

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and the injustice continues!

Fawad and Sadaf should call it quits honestly. Go play county instead and make a decent living there as they won't be getting their dues through PCB.

Debut
    Aug 2006
    Venue
    Dublin
    Runs
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fawad Alam's exclusion has never been justified.

The squad looks so weak they will certainly get hammered in England and I would not be surprised if they lose to Ireland.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i m happy that Newspaper and every one talking about injustice... continue .. " maybe is kay saath selector
    ki blindness ka elajjj ho jaay"

Debut
    Feb 2018
    Venue
    Peshawar
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think he can still make it after the England & Ireland series. I don't have much confidence in the likes of Sami or Imam or Babar or Shafiq. Game on hai

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fawad was someone that should have been given more chances long ago. Sadly, looks like his ship has sailed and management are now looking to build a youthful side.

Debut
    Sep 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly technique is overrated these days, Steven Smith with an atypical technique averages around 70 in a test match calendar year, and technically sound players like Asad Shafiq averages in the mid 30s.

Not to forget people also said Azhar ali looks like a tailender when he bats, and he was the highest run scorers of the year.

People also forget people said Misbah will never succeed with his technique in England, and he was man of the series in that tournament.

There is a case for atypical techniques making it big... pitches have been the flattest they have ever been in England. Fans need to realize regardless of whether he can play on these pitches, injustice has been grave for Fawad.

Debut
    Sep 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kroll View Post
    Fawad was someone that should have been given more chances long ago. Sadly, looks like his ship has sailed and management are now looking to build a youthful side.
    The issue is, that is the statement that is given everytime a player is selected for the squad in place of Fawad. We have been building a youth side for 5 years now. However a 39 year old and a 42 year old were a consistent time presence of the squad in that time...

Indeed, when Misbah was in the side fawad was not even in the squad. This has been a consistent omission on the part, at first it was because we had Misbah younis, now it is because we are selecting youth. Which is just ridiculous and a farce. He has been long overdue, which is a fact

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Yes.

He's 32 and would've been edging it all over the place with that technique against Broad and Anderson, hell maybe even Tim Murtagh

Does cricket survive off of it's money or does it survive for it's money?

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by waleed88 View Post
    The issue is, that is the statement that is given everytime a player is selected for the squad in place of Fawad. We have been building a youth side for 5 years now. However a 39 year old and a 42 year old were a consistent time presence of the squad in that time...

Indeed, when Misbah was in the side fawad was not even in the squad. This has been a consistent omission on the part, at first it was because we had Misbah younis, now it is because we are selecting youth. Which is just ridiculous and a farce. He has been long overdue, which is a fact
    I see where you're coming from, but in reality, the youth part has only really taken a practical slant in more recent times as Mickey Arthur begins to shape the team he wants. I think there's players in that Test squad that are more than capable of doing the job.

Debut
    Sep 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kroll View Post
    I see where you're coming from, but in reality, the youth part has only really taken a practical slant in more recent times as Mickey Arthur begins to shape the team he wants. I think there's players in that Test squad that are more than capable of doing the job.
    Mickey's track record in tests speaks for himself.... a whitewash against Srilanka in home conditions, a defeat against a west indies in home. Not to mention whitewashes against Aus and NZ away from home. Mickey's methods might be effective for limited over cricket. BUt clearly expereince is a definitive requirement in test match cricket. This is not an A tour so I would be veryyy reluctant to take a side with 5 debutants. That is the A team's job. Our team is supposed to be playing to win. I understand Wahab's exclusion since he has been a constant in our side since 2013, but 32 year old experienced domestic batsman, and one of the fittest players in the squad has no reason for exclusion.

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It sucks but looking at the 25 man camp, I didn't think he'd make it into the final team anyway. Usman or Saad Ali were likely to take the remaining middle order slot as they were going to persist with Babar. And I think Fakhar will get the opening spot, LOI experience is better than none at all, and Sami looked pretty shaky in his last few games in international cricket. Saad had been performing better than Fawad of late, and Usman had been touring with the test squad/in contention longer than Fawad. It's good that fawad even made the 25 squad, it may mean he will be picked for the pitches in Asia in the future, so not all lost for him.

I expect the team that will be picked is
    1. Fakhar
    2. Azhar
    3. Haris
    4. Babar
    5. Asad
    6. Saad Ali
    7. Sarfraz
    8. Shadab
    9. Amir
    10. Hasan
    11. Abbas

Despite Usman being with the squad for a longer time, think the hype is around Saad Ali, and they'll take a chance on him over Usman.

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Mississauga
    Runs
    Mentioned
    844 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Fawad would outperform Babaar in test matches.

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It's unfortunate for Fawad because him performing in domestic didn't matter he wasn't getting picked year after year anyway. The one year where it actually mattered, this time he didn't dominate (scored at something like 40, not bad, but below par for his standards). If he had had a year like Saad Ali this year (which he's had plenty of times before) he'd have made the squad IMO.

Debut
    Sep 2010
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fawad never had good technique but still made debut century opening the innings in most difficult conditions. In my opinion selectors both past and present were afraid that if they allowed Fawad Alam in team they won't be able to drop him because he will perform so well. Their favorites will have to fight for one less spot.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was no need to include him in camp if he was not to b picked. You don;t treat a player like this who has been performing exceptionally well in FC cricket for a decade

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1225 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    I feel sorry for the guy. He has been performing well in domestic cricket but keeps getting ignored by the selectors. Not sure what the issue is here. Mr Arthur said Fawad does not have boundary hitting ability but how does that affect his chances in tests?

Debut
    Aug 2009
    Venue
    home
    Runs
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you still hope Fawad will be selected, think again. Selectors have changed, coaches have changed and captains have changed, yet his selection remains one of the mysteries of PCB. The current captain is from Karachi, so the city card also seems to have folded. Fawad himself seems like a good guy, so it is very likely that the enmities Mr Tariq Alam garnered during his FC career are coming to bite Fawad now.

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1225 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by giri26 View Post

big heart!

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After that disgraceful batting performance against Australia in UAE in 2014, where his batting was painful to watch. It is clear he cannot play against top class bowling attacks on the international stage regardless of whether it is in Tests or ODIs. Good call.

Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UN talkz View Post
    Needs to change his surname to Ul haq ;) simple really.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM1989 View Post
    After that disgraceful batting performance against Australia in UAE in 2014, where his batting was painful to watch. It is clear he cannot play against top class bowling attacks on the international stage regardless of whether it is in Tests or ODIs. Good call.
    same guys hit 50 against englan a or lion where our hack haris struggle in uae

Debut
    Oct 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Regardless of how good Fawad has performed or how fit he is, the bitter fact is he’s in is 30’s we need to work around building a team for the future we need batsmen who need to debut now and finish with 10000+ runs at the end of their career, mickey and inzi are not to blame for Fawad’s downfall previous coaches and selectors should have selected young fawad 5 or 10 years ago, now it’s too late for him we need move away from the culture of making comebacks in 30’s and playing till 40’s

Debut
    Feb 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So a younger player can have a handful of good games, and that outweighs 4 years of consistent performances? And justifies overlooking an experienced consistent veteran - in a team and a middle order that is in desperate need of some spine? Good teams have a balance of veterans and young players. For a reason.

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a test team that got thumped at home against the weakest SL test team of all time because so called better players flopped has no place for FC legend like Fawad ... they deserve to get pummeled in England !!

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most of people in their statement are mentioning here that Fawad Alam has overaged..his time has gone..his performance is declining...his technique is not good against Broad and Anderson..i would inform to all of them that he has been continously ignored by the Selectors and team management when Misbah and Younis consistently and unnecessarily prolong their career..playing on dead pitches of UAE, at that time where were these people..they all claiming that after Misbah and Younis, Fawad can fill the gap..now time has proven in last series on UAE when in the absence of Misbah and Younis..Pakistan lost to Sri Lankan weakest team..if Fawad Alam was picked the results were totally different altogether..one thing i added here that Fawad has scored runs with this technique against Anderson, Broad, Mitchell Johnson and Morkal when they were at their best..check his records please before making sweeping remarks.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1533 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    His domestic First Class record is mediocre: 4 centuries in 3 seasons since his 30th birthday, and his average this season was 40 - worse than Faisal Iqbal!

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Yes. his success despite that pantomime batting stance is a condemnation of our domestic cricket. And no his stance is nothing like Chanderpal's.
    If there's a silver lining here, the next generation of cricketers will learn from this to ensure they focus on their technique.
    I wouldn't fawad being appointed as a fitness/fielding consultant at the NCA

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Rose View Post
    Yes. his success despite that pantomime batting stance is a condemnation of our domestic cricket. And no his stance is nothing like Chanderpal's.
    If there's a silver lining here, the next generation of cricketers will learn from this to ensure they focus on their technique.
    I wouldn't fawad being appointed as a fitness/fielding consultant at the NCA
    What about Smith? Technique isn't everything and I would take him (if eligible after the courses) over all the prima donna YKs.

P.S - Fawad was one of the best fielders we have had.

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadBall View Post
    What about Smith? Technique isn't everything and I would take him (if eligible after the courses) over all the prima donna YKs.

P.S - Fawad was one of the best fielders we have had.
    Yes I meant to say I am ok with him working at nca and not much else. Smith still has a few more things going in his stance vs Fawad. He is not crouched really low for starters, is a right hander etc

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Rose View Post
    Yes I meant to say I am ok with him working at nca and not much else. Smith still has a few more things going in his stance vs Fawad. He is not crouched really low for starters, is a right hander etc
    Smith mostly played in the bouncier Australian pitches. Most of our batsmen have a lower crouch stance due to the low bounce. Can't single Fawad out, tbh.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Junaids View Post
    His domestic First Class record is mediocre: 4 centuries in 3 seasons since his 30th birthday, and his average this season was 40 - worse than Faisal Iqbal!
    worse than Faisal Iqbal!
    but he was better than rest of team members who'r selected expect saad . this question asked rashed from izi live on tv ..and inzi accept this