Instagram

SportsFever360

International Cricketers XI

Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Should Wahab Riaz have been included in the Test squad for the series vs Ireland and England?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

25 43.86%
  • No

32 56.14%
    Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Should Wahab Riaz have been included in the Test squad for the series vs Ireland and England?

His omission has been a major talking point in the last few days, but do you guys believe he should have been picked? I personally think if there's 1 format he can be good in, it's tests, he is a liability in ODI's and T20I's

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    His bowling style doesn't suit early season English conditions. The right call not to select him . He will be needed in the UAE.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Almere, Netherlands
    Runs
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasan123 View Post
    His bowling style doesn't suit early season English conditions. The right call not to select him . He will be needed in the UAE.
    Exactly!

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Yes Indeed.

Wahab has regained the 5kph He lost in last 2 years through stregth training.

In just concluded PSL he was bowling as quick as 2015 WC.

We might need two three spells like those in Test series vs England.

Very very unfair exclusion.

Selecting 4 openers in a squad of 16 is as bizarre as it could be with 0 genuine pace bowler.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Between Rawalpindi and Hobart
    Runs
    Mentioned
    214 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    given the conditions no, and clearly there was stuff happening behind the scenes

"Last time Uganda toured Canada, half their team ran away to start a new life" - cricfan967

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most of the people who have voted Yes are clearly those who will have the biggest problem if he fails. If he fails in a few games on the tour, you guys would be the first to point your finger at him. I feel the best summary would be Mickey Arthur's quote a couple days ago

"Wahab Riaz has not won us a single game in the past two years"

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Venue
    I live in Canada; My heart lives in Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Yes.

But not too bothered with his exclusion.

Hai yeh Josh-e-Junoon, hai yeh apna yaqeen, ke jo tum mein hai dum, woh kisi mein nahin!

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Venue
    earth between north pole and south pole
    Runs
    Mentioned
    325 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Obviously! this is not even a question.Should have been selected instead of a batsman or Abbas the trundler. He has been performing consistently at domestic level in every format. Hopefully he comes back strongly shut all his haters. So many hate for him in here.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    649 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Yeah definitely. In the last two test series played by Pakistan in the Windies and in the UAE, the likes of Aamir, Hassan and Abbas were played and none of them could average above 133 kph in pace. You need Wahab for that extra bit of pace imo to force the English batters on the backfoot.

'There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold'

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, he's a type of bower who can single handedly win u games when he's in rhythm.

Besides this, he adds variety to the pak bowling attack. Wahab is the only hit the deck type bolwer in current Pakistan line up, rest of the bowers r conventional swing bowlers. So yes, he should have been included.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Runs
    Mentioned
    214 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RainMan_ View Post
    Yes, he's a type of bower who can single handedly win u games when he's in rhythm.

Besides this, he adds variety to the pak bowling attack. Wahab is the only hit the deck type bolwer in current Pakistan line up, rest of the bowers r conventional swing bowlers. So yes, he should have been included.
    in the conditions we are likely to face the last thing you need is a hit the deck bowler who cant control the seam and hence will rough up the ball

"Last time Uganda toured Canada, half their team ran away to start a new life" - cricfan967

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pakistanigoneaussie View Post
    in the conditions we are likely to face the last thing you need is a hit the deck bowler who cant control the seam and hence will rough up the ball
    I agree. Wahab is like a spraygun and when he's not on song, he can go for plenty with his wayward bowling.

However, if u fill the team with swing bowlers only, it might make ur attack one dimensional.

Debut
    Oct 2007
    Venue
    Amsterdam / Faisalabad
    Runs
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why so serious?

He will be back for the UAE tests. We desperately need his pace there.

"You aren't a failure if you fail, you are a failure if you don't get up to try again" - Imran Khan.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Runs
    Mentioned
    214 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RainMan_ View Post
    I agree. Wahab is like a spraygun and when he's not on song, he can go for plenty with his wayward bowling.

However, if u fill the team with swing bowlers only, it might make ur attack one dimensional.
    I think Hasan Ali can do both jobs

Riaz is too limited

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I clicked on Yes by mistake.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    420 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikhil_cric View Post
    Yeah definitely. In the last two test series played by Pakistan in the Windies and in the UAE, the likes of Aamir, Hassan and Abbas were played and none of them could average above 133 kph in pace. You need Wahab for that extra bit of pace imo to force the English batters on the backfoot.
    This.

Wahab and Sami are the only real fast bowlers available for Pakistan currently. He deserved a place in squad.

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Venue
    Andromeda
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Pakistan should invest in and establish young blood.

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't think so. I wouldn't mind him in the squad, but I wouldn't play him in the starting XI either. I just don't think his inclusion builds for the future, he's not a great test bowler now, nor will he be I feel. Having said that I'm not a big fan of Amir's place, a guy who wants to cut down on test cricket, and I don't even feel bowls at full effort in tests (possibly scared of injuries).

Think people overrate pace in tests. The pacer with the best test record we have is Abbas who is far slower.

Most important things are control, being able to last five days (which is a big issue, no point only being able to keep the pressure on for a session or two), and ideally be able to extract some movement. Pace lags behind. It's good to have pace, but if you fail at the other conditions, there's no point.

Pace is more important in LOI where you hurry the batsmen to make a shot, and have significant rest to keep up the intensity.

Riaz was very good for us up to 2011 in LOI, until the new ball change really hurt him. He's delivered quite a few memorable performances, pulling out an incredible performance on the big change from time to time.

Rahat and Shinwari are better back up options in the squad, not that I'm sure either are great and probably lack control too, but at least get more movement out of the ball than Riaz.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A team's standards fall when they select mediocrity and excuse it as a norm.

We have seen the results of Wahab's performances and they have not been worthy of an important tour to ENG in MAY.

The conditions are suitable to 80-85 mph bowlers who can use the new ball well. This is why Abbas and Amir will outperform other bowlers on the tour.

PAK need to get rid of the other senior hogs who have made no progress and are receding in performance... I'm looking at you A. Shafiq.

"Preventive war is like committing suicide for fear of death" ~ Otto Von Bismarck

Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    641 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMMY69 View Post
    I clicked on Yes by mistake.
    Should be banned for doing so ;)

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManFan View Post
    A team's standards fall when they select mediocrity and excuse it as a norm.

We have seen the results of Wahab's performances and they have not been worthy of an important tour to ENG in MAY.

The conditions are suitable to 80-85 mph bowlers who can use the new ball well. This is why Abbas and Amir will outperform other bowlers on the tour.

PAK need to get rid of the other senior hogs who have made no progress and are receding in performance... I'm looking at you A. Shafiq.
    Agree with this. Riaz may well produce a magic spell or two, but he isn't going to do it consistently.

Asad's really disappointed me, he's flattered to deceive. Not good enough to stand out, not bad enough that he would lose his place. Bang average. And if we knew all he would be is average, most would have taken the risk and invested in a guy who had the potential to be great. It's embarrassing that a batsman with near 60 tests is being hidden away behind the new/young guys as he can't handle it. I'd like to force him to play at 3 or 4, either he sinks or swims as with our lack experience it's hard to drop him. Batting down at 6, all he's doing is taking a place where a youngster could bat and learn the trade of test cricket under less pressure. It's almost like he's still acting like a newbie to test cricket when he's been playing it consistently for 7/8 years now .

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ads101 View Post
    Agree with this. Riaz may well produce a magic spell or two, but he isn't going to do it consistently.

Asad's really disappointed me, he's flattered to deceive. Not good enough to stand out, not bad enough that he would lose his place. Bang average. And if we knew all he would be is average, most would have taken the risk and invested in a guy who had the potential to be great. It's embarrassing that a batsman with near 60 tests is being hidden away behind the new/young guys as he can't handle it. I'd like to force him to play at 3 or 4, either he sinks or swims as with our lack experience it's hard to drop him. Batting down at 6, all he's doing is taking a place where a youngster could bat and learn the trade of test cricket under less pressure. It's almost like he's still acting like a newbie to test cricket when he's been playing it consistently for 7/8 years now .
    He was the highest paid cricketer last year...

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1630 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    Heard on TV that Wahab being from a rich family does not gel well with the team - didnt they say same for Inzi?

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    676 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I am most surprised that they are not bringing him. He was important in the drawn series a couple of years ago.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I voted yes, he would be a handy squad player, maybe he wouldn't start but he's a different type of bowler and adds variety. But I don't think him or him not playing would make that much of a difference so I'm not that gutted he isn't picked.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    Motown
    Runs
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any player that can't figure out why he was dropped should not be selected. Go figure mr. 150kph.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Venue
    Chicago, IL
    Runs
    Mentioned
    257 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hadi123 View Post
    His omission has been a major talking point in the last few days, but do you guys believe he should have been picked? I personally think if there's 1 format he can be good in, it's tests, he is a liability in ODI's and T20I's
    Dropping Wahab for Tests was harsh.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    He's a good option for tests. Could have replaced Imam.

Debut
    Oct 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    why Kamran akmal isn’t in the squad he scored bucket loads of runs in PSL and I remember he scored a century so many years ago

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pakistanigoneaussie View Post
    Isn't that a good thing,a rough ball would aid reverse swing in which the pakistanis are past masters.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Runs
    Mentioned
    214 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vildoc View Post
    Isn't that a good thing,a rough ball would aid reverse swing in which the pakistanis are past masters.

On green seaming pitches you don’t want to rough up the call straight away if at all

Riaz cant conventially swing the bowl either

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Venue
    Jeddah
    Runs
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No

We will never surrender. We win or we die. And don't think it stops there. You will have the next generation to fight; and after the next, the next.

OMAR MUKHTAR

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes

only in test

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    910 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    In early season English conditions you need seamers who can bowl a disciplined line and length rather than raw pace.

Debut
    Nov 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by emranabbas View Post
    why Kamran akmal isn’t in the squad he scored bucket loads of runs in PSL and I remember he scored a century so many years ago
    Are you serious? PSL performances for a test selection?