Venue
    Hemel/Coventry
    Runs
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Lahore airport is a test of nerves" : Waqar Younis

Waqar Younis doesn't seem too impressed. What are your experiences of Lahore airport? I have never been there, in Pakistan I have only ever been to Karachi.

Debut
    Dec 2007
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    He is right, the airport is to small for the volume it handles.

But they are currently working on expanding the terminal.

Here is the render:

After this is constructed (hopefully will be completed), should help a lot. They are already almost done with the underground parking deck.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My experience was smooth as there weren't many people there at the time. Also am surprised that unlike the common man, Waqar had to go through all that. I mean how could a precious hour from his time be wasted when people spend hours and hours of their time going through these security checks. He should post a video regarding this fiasco and refer to himself in the third person ASAP.
    Last edited by DeadBall; 17th April 2018 at 03:13.

Debut
    Jun 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Hate going to this airport. As soon as you land, porters run up to you begging for you to take their service. Even after saying politely 2-3 no thank you, they keep being annoying. Once, one of them grabbed my luggage anyway and started pushing my cart and then acted disrespected when I refused to pay. When leaving, customs officials have never failed to try and get me to give them a bribe to let me pass without going through my luggage.

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    The solution to get better and more efficient airports in the sub-continent is to privatize, privatize, privatize.

The difference before and after is night and day.

Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    everywhere
    Runs
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadBall View Post
    My experience was smooth as there weren't many people there at the time. Also am surprised that unlike the common man, Waqar had to go through all that. I mean how could a precious hour from his time be wasted when people spend hours and hours of their time going through these security checks. He should post a video regarding this fiasco and refer to himself in the third person ASAP.
    You forgot that he should also return back to where he came from.

Debut
    Dec 2008
    Venue
    Norway
    Runs
    Mentioned
    483 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Generally about AirPort experience in Pakistan ( ISB and LHR);
    They need to Invest in modern equipment. Too many manual controls of baggage and when it’s 45 degrees Celcius and children are crying, wants to go to toilet etc this surely is a test of patience.
    Just have one desk for check in like other AirPorts.

And then this rubbish of photo-copies of passports and stamps. To much hassle really. That is why I always say it is very difficul to enter Pakistan legally, much easier for terrorists etc.

And the luggage corruption needs to end as well, can not believe it is still going on.

Ki Mohammad (saw) sey wafa tu ney tou hum terey hain
    Yeh jahaan cheez kya hai Loh-o-Qalam tere hain

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Lahore in general is a test of nerves. If I ever become president, first order of business will be mandatory driving lessons for Lahorias and Multanis. The number of times I almost got ran over while walking on what passes for a sidewalk in this joke of a city in the last two months is orders of magnitude higher than the number of times I've almost been run over in the 27 non Lahore years before that (the Multan period notwithstanding). The weather and the hyperconservative people just make things worse.

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Venue
    Andromeda
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Punjab (Pakistani) Police are one of the worst human beings I've had bad luck to meet, near Lahore airport. I am generalizing but this police department are a bunch of pathetic bunch. Corrupt.

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhenSultansBowled View Post
    Punjab (Pakistani) Police are one of the worst human beings I've had bad luck to meet, near Lahore airport. I am generalizing but this police department are a bunch of pathetic bunch. Corrupt.
    You need to have an encounter with Sindh Police outsode Karachi, preferably in rural Sindh, to see what the words corrupt and pathetic mean. Punjab police are amateurs by comparison.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    Cybertron, Guest of Optimus Prime
    Runs
    Mentioned
    143 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I just got back from islamabad and it was a test of nerves. But the checks were relatively efficient, and it took an hour. But I can understand why they do them. The officials were relatively respectful and not rude. Just followed their instructions and it went ok. Took time as there were five flights so always good to get there four hours before time. Cant wait for them to give the airport back to the PAF.

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Venue
    Andromeda
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DW44 View Post
    You need to have an encounter with Sindh Police outsode Karachi, preferably in rural Sindh, to see what the words corrupt and pathetic mean. Punjab police are amateurs by comparison.
    Damn. That explains a lot.

My condolences with people who have to endure these thugs with a smile every day.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1253 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Sindh police in Karachi is worse with locals with no understanding of the city since almost all of them aren't from Karachi

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    509 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Varun View Post
    The solution to get better and more efficient airports in the sub-continent is to privatize, privatize, privatize.

The difference before and after is night and day.
    True I remember the early2000s airports worst service ever, one example is the Bagdogra airport ,I mean so much crowd in that airport but local thugs aren't allowing it to expand, and they legit had coolies outside.

It's the only air gateway to Siliguri which in turn goes to Nepal,Bangladesh,Sikkim , Darjeeling and probably more,talk about Bengal being so inefficient, although Kolkata airport looks amazing.

I have to say though because of airport improvement it's amazing,but all airports look the same to me ,glass and steel.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1677 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    For international flights I've only ever been through the Karachi airport and although the process is long and at times seems quite redundant (what is the need to check me 2 or 3 times) but it is fairly efficient and it takes about 30-45 mins from the time you enter the airport till you get to your gate waiting for boarding.

#Hum apko container deingaye dharnay ke liyay

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    The only problem iíve ever had is getting into the airport itself... when airlines like Etihad, Emirates etc are departing at similar times it is hell.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Coming back to Manchester last November, I had a terrible experience, a lot of flights had been delayed due to fog or the incessant smoke that you get in Lahore these days. Thus, it was such a challenge in just trying to reach the check in desk as the entry points leading to the doors of the terminal were rammed with passengers and there was so much pushing and shoving. But I'm glad I made it to the plane eventually.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Madplayer View Post
    You forgot that he should also return back to where he came from.
    Yep, hilarious. However, I only traveled domestic to Lahore though as I mostly landed in Karachi and once in Islamabad during international flights.

Debut
    Aug 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HAHAHA

Waqar should try flying from Bacha Khan "International" Airport, Peshawar.

He will appreciate all other air ports a lot more.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4996 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blackanhyellow View Post
    HAHAHA

I genuinely think it is the worst airport in the world, because I cannot imagine how an airport can be worse.

If your first impression of Pakistan is the Peshawar Airport, you would think that you have ended up in Afghanistan by mistake.

The infrastructure and organization is a joke, and if the luggage trickles along on a torn belt. You have to wait for like two hours to collect your stuff.

I usually take the VIP lounge so I donít have to deal with long queues, but the renovation these days have made things worse.

It needs a complete overhaul from scratch. Shut down the airport for a year, bulldoze it and start from zero.

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    HAHAHA

I once had a flight from there delayed by 11 hours (PIA's fault, not the airport's) and they served everyone food from the airport. Somehow, there was a hornet (those big ones in Peshawar that are, ironically enough, black and yellow) in my 250ml bottle of Pepsi. To this day I can't figure out how it got there, at ~10pm no less.

Fauj ka jo yaar hay, mulk ka ghaddar hay,
    Ye jo dehshatgardi hay, is kay peechay wardi hay.

Debut
    Aug 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    I genuinely think it is the worst airport in the world, because I cannot imagine how an airport can be worse.

If your first impression of Pakistan is the Peshawar Airport, you would think that you have ended up in Afghanistan by mistake.

The infrastructure and organization is a joke, and if the luggage trickles along on a torn belt. You have to wait for like two hours to collect your stuff.

I usually take the VIP lounge so I donít have to deal with long queues, but the renovation these days have made things worse.

It needs a complete overhaul from scratch. Shut down the airport for a year, bulldoze it and start from zero.
    I agree. Needs a complete reconstruction. Also the security is a nightmare to get through. I get that it is necessary for that area, but man, I have never encountered so many air port security check points in my life, and that is not even including the military check points on the way to the air port.

I once had a flight from there delayed by 11 hours (PIA's fault, not the airport's) and they served everyone food from the airport. Somehow, there was a hornet (those big ones in Peshawar that are, ironically enough, black and yellow) in my 250ml bottle of Pepsi. To this day I can't figure out how it got there, at ~10pm no less.
    Doesn't surprise me at all.

But PIA from Peshawar airport, talk about double trouble.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4996 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    I agree. Needs a complete reconstruction. Also the security is a nightmare to get through. I get that it is necessary for that area, but man, I have never encountered so many air port security check points in my life, and that is not even including the military check points on the way to the air port.

Doesn't surprise me at all.

But PIA from Peshawar airport, talk about double trouble.
    My father worked for the government so thankfully I am able to bypass the security checks with his service card. However, it is certainly a nightmare for regular citizens.

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    My father worked for the government so thankfully I am able to bypass the security checks with his service card. However, it is certainly a nightmare for regular citizens.
    You arenít a regular citizen... Having a father in the government gives you a sense of entitlement ???

Debut
    Jun 2015
    Venue
    Srinagar
    Runs
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by babajee View Post
    You aren’t a regular citizen... Having a father in the government gives you a sense of entitlement ???
    Don't believe everything you hear on the internet bro Also, if his dad being a government servant gives the benefit of bypassing some of the security, that's hardly Mamoon's fault

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did't have much off a problem except when you go inside is to much rush by the gate.

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And there we have it.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4996 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by babajee View Post
    You aren’t a regular citizen... Having a father in the government gives you a sense of entitlement ???
    Quote Originally Posted by Halaribo View Post
    And there we have it.
    No need of doing bhangra.

It is not misuse of authority; it is a privilege that has been 'legally' provided by the Government of Pakistan, as recognition for years of service at a certain post. My father was Chief Commissioner FBR KP, which means free healthcare for his immediate family (wife and children) in all public hospitals in Pakistan, and a lifetime service card that allows us to bypass security checks.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4996 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adijazz1706 View Post
    Don't believe everything you hear on the internet bro Also, if his dad being a government servant gives the benefit of bypassing some of the security, that's hardly Mamoon's fault
    It is no one's fault. It is a privilege provided by the government of Pakistan to bureaucracy.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Attock
    Runs
    Mentioned
    405 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is no one's fault. It is a privilege provided by the government of Pakistan to bureaucracy.
    Is it written somewhere on the card or is there a law that family can use service card to bypass security checks ? I do not think it is perfectly legal. It has just become a norm.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1253 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Pakistani airports in general are a pain (tbh I've been to only three ie LHR KHI and ISB old one)...

Of the three Karachi is easily best and most well managed despite having the most traffic

Let's hope new ISB airport is good

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4996 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenstorm View Post
    Is it written somewhere on the card or is there a law that family can use service card to bypass security checks ? I do not think it is perfectly legal. It has just become a norm.
    I do not carry the card with me personally. It is always there in my fatherís car, and that is why I use his car when I have to go the Peshawar Airport. The MP guys specifically ask for a service card, and they do realize that it is my fatherís.

What is part of law and what is norm are not always clear. However, if you live in Peshawar and have to deal with the security checkpoints every 2 kilometers, you would do anything to bypass the security measures.

People do not realize what the residents of Peshawar have to go through on daily basis. If you live in the cantt area, you have to go through 10 military guys just to buy eggs from the supermarket.

Debut
    Sep 2007
    Venue
    Unknown
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whatís up with the photocopies of your passport and a thousand rupees charge in ISB when you are to depart?

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1752 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post

There is nothing wrong with Lahore airport. I was there a month ago and the staff was curious, facilities were not bad. Time these celebs live like us normal citizens. To use words like dehumanizing is rather extravagant.

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Venue
    Andromeda
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

The keyword is: "dehumanising experience"

And both Waqar and Rameez are local legends. Imagine if you are a nobody

I second that @Mamoon they should do the same with Lahore.

And what's up with random people who are just there to past an afternoon
    Last edited by WhenSultansBowled; 19th December 2018 at 00:17.

Debut
    Jun 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by King-Misbah View Post
    There is nothing wrong with Lahore airport. I was there a month ago and the staff was curious, facilities were not bad. Time these celebs live like us normal citizens. To use words like dehumanizing is rather extravagant.
    Lahore Airport is terrible.

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gotham Cronie View Post
    Lahore Airport is terrible.
    What is wrong with it?

Debut
    Oct 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slog View Post
    Sindh police in Karachi is worse with locals with no understanding of the city since almost all of them aren't from Karachi
    Majority of them are Punjabis but the few locals (urdu speaking) you will find are no different either. The whole institution is corrupt. Its a profession of gundas.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Sweden
    Runs
    Mentioned
    453 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The airport is trash and the FIA officials placed there are corrupt to the core.

First-hand experience in this case hence can say with 100% authenticity.

ya aenu chuk lay ya mainu aenu chukkan di taaqat day

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoUgandaCranes View Post
    The airport is trash and the FIA officials placed there are corrupt to the core.

First-hand experience in this case hence can say with 100% authenticity.
    Have you been recently since PTI took over? I found the staff to be curteous.

Debut
    Jun 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by King-Misbah View Post
    What is wrong with it?
    As soon as you land, porters run up to you begging for you to take their service. Even after saying politely 2-3 no thank you, they keep being annoying. Once, one of them grabbed my luggage anyway and started pushing my cart and then acted disrespected when I refused to pay.

When leaving, customs officials have never failed to try and get me to give them a bribe to let me pass without going through my luggage.

Why they need to check my passport and boarding pass 5 times between entry and the gate is beyond me. There are two instances where there is literally nothing that separates two check points besides walking around a corner 10 feet apart.

In the canteen area near the gates, there are shops that will sell drinks for around 100 or 200 rupees but that will claim they don't have change for less than 500 so they ask you to buy at minimum that amount.

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gotham Cronie View Post
    As soon as you land, porters run up to you begging for you to take their service. Even after saying politely 2-3 no thank you, they keep being annoying. Once, one of them grabbed my luggage anyway and started pushing my cart and then acted disrespected when I refused to pay.

When leaving, customs officials have never failed to try and get me to give them a bribe to let me pass without going through my luggage.

Why they need to check my passport and boarding pass 5 times between entry and the gate is beyond me. There are two instances where there is literally nothing that separates two check points besides walking around a corner 10 feet apart.

In the canteen area near the gates, there are shops that will sell drinks for around 100 or 200 rupees but that will claim they don't have change for less than 500 so they ask you to buy at minimum that amount.
    Yes, the porters can be annoying but you have to be stern and they will back off.

Security is necessary and is instrumental for everyone's safety. I had no issue with customs; in fact the attitudes of all airport staff was very different as compared to before. Shahryar Khan At risk has made a massive positive impact and kept them in line. I was in Pakistan a month ago.

Going ahead to the shops; may be they never had change for real? I worked in a shop and we ran out of change often. Keep in mind, 100 rps for a drink is peanuts. I had to pay £8 for a mediocre yougart at the Abu Dhabi airport.

Conclusion: Things are definitely improving but it will take time. If you want a better service; pay extra and go through the lounge. Everything is much quicker. I have been to worse airports where everything takes ages. Keeping that in mind; Lahore airport is not bad.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It was really a bizarre experience last time I was at Karachi Airport. Everyone had suspicious looks, people with fake documents trying to bribe fia officials let them thorough, one guy even had a immigration official talk to some guy named 'shahbaz' to provide credence to his claim, but it was not the real 'shahbaz' so he got cursed at and thrown away.

I didnt have US passport at that time so my documents were scrutinized and I was questioned if they were even real. If you're traveling alone they make your life miserable for no reason than if you are traveling with family.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1752 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    Absolutely no complaints, my travel through this ariport was as good and comfortable as it gets.

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Absolutely no complaints, my travel through this ariport was as good and comfortable as it gets.
    I am guessing Waqar and Rameez landed at a time when a few flights overlaped

Debut
    Mar 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New Islamabad airport is heaven compared to the old hellhole.

Parking is easy, traffic is fine, and the process of checking in etc is quick.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    294 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blistering Barnacle View Post
    New Islamabad airport is heaven compared to the old hellhole.

Parking is easy, traffic is fine, and the process of checking in etc is quick.
    There are reports today saying it's falling apart already.

Debut
    Feb 2010
    Venue
    Caracas
    Runs
    Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Bangladesh airport is much more worse, no development whatsoever.

Self belief and hard work will always earn you success - Kohli
    What we think we become - Buddha

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1752 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    One area where Lahore Airport should be able to improve is free wifi

At the moment you need to have Pakistan number to get wifi code which kinda defeats the purpose

Otherwise, airport is fine and does its job.

Parking etc is similar to many other public buildings in Lahore so not much one can say.

Debut
    Jun 2008
    Venue
    Moscow, Russia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All airports in Pakistan are a severe test of ones nerves.

Barely any staff at anytime of the day/night and they don't have any manners on how to talk and behave. Some people are rude but it doesn't mean they all have the same attitude with all the others who come or go from the airports.

The new Islamabad airport has to be one of the worst as it's infrastructure is so bad and there's barely anything that is worth talking about there. Mostly seen people coming and going to be complaining of lack of staff and all other things.

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Venue
    London, United Kingdom
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You guys don't have it as bad as us. trust me.. Talk about test of nerves, read what we have to go through, or been through and now only go through on way back from Bangladesh.

Going to Bangladesh. London HR to Sylhet direct flights available, so it lands direct in Sylhet Airport, as 100% of the passengers are Sylhet divisional people, it's no rocket science to fly it direct to Sylhet than stopping in Dhaka to change for a domestic plane then to get to the real destination of the passengers which is Sylhet. Which was the case before and so much hassle people went through after landing in Dhaka aiport, waiting for so long then, people rushing to get tickets, some would miss first flight then get on the next one. From personal experience, I went there 2003/4 after landing in Dhaka, when the time came to get tickets, freaking hell as a young boy stood there how the hell am I going to get the tickets, counter service had no line and were bombarded with people jumping about for tickets and luckily the guy at the counter saw and spotted me just standing there behind in the queue like how we would do waiting about behind the line in UK in supermarket, in in traffic, so he called me up and gave me the tickets. But now they allowing direct flights, so its lot easier to go there now...No issue, Alhamdulilah!

But, here comes the real main issues. its on the way back. We have to go take flight to Dhaka from Sylhet, stay in the hotel, then next day get to the Dhaka airport then wait another some hours sometimes more delays, then eventually get to LHR. Now for, single adults or couples it may not be as bad going through this trouble, but the sick, elderly, young kids,babies, women that are flying a lone its not easy. The hotels are rubbish, the service is poor, many dont feel safe to go there, as many incidents took place in the past where people been harassed even beat up for no reason. many have fallen extremely sick going through this nonsense having to stay in the rubbish hotels they keep you, providing poor service.
    Now you may think why is that they do this? No idea whatsoever, they waste so much money doing this. They pay for domestic flight to take you to Dhaka, then even though the hotels are rubbish and poor service where they keep for a night it is still expenses wasted as they have to book not one but many hotels and its going out of Biman Bangladesh or BD gov.

I wonder. If this happens in Pakistan? Do people from smaller city have to go Islamabad airport then take flight from there, and having to stay a night there in the hotel as well?

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasan2K8 View Post
    But, here comes the real main issues. its on the way back. We have to go take flight to Dhaka from Sylhet, stay in the hotel, then next day get to the Dhaka airport then wait another some hours sometimes more delays, then eventually get to LHR.
    You don't need to do this anymore - Biman's LHR service is a triangular DAC-LHR-ZYL-DAC-LHR run and you needn't deboard/transit at DAC at all. The reason there isn't a ZYL-LHR direct flight is due to the lack of long-haul refueling facilities at Sylhet Osmania Intl.

The 2 new Dreamliners have now taken over the route from the 77Ws, which are now used for Saudi runs.

Have some Sehwag in your life.

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Venue
    London, United Kingdom
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Varun View Post
    You don't need to do this anymore - Biman's LHR service is a triangular DAC-LHR-ZYL-DAC-LHR run and you needn't deboard/transit at DAC at all. The reason there isn't a ZYL-LHR direct flight is due to the lack of long-haul refueling facilities at Sylhet Osmania Intl.

The 2 new Dreamliners have now taken over the route from the 77Ws, which are now used for Saudi runs.
    Sylhet Airport has enough space to expand, it is international, and they can easily add the remaining facilities needed. But, why do we have to go and stay a night there in Dhk on way back to LHR? why couldn't there be biman ready say within few hours we get to Dhk airport, I would not mind waiting for 2-3 hours but having to stay the night in some rubbish hotel with poor service, and lot risks. They even take your passport at the hotel without giving you any papers that you handed your passport to them. the pain we go through, only we will know. I don't like the excuses they'll make. I'm sure a plan has enough time to be ready for an important route, huge amount come through and to go back safely and pleasantly.

Debut
    Apr 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I flew from Lahore to Karachi a couple years back and I have to say, I don't recognise the complaints being made by Waqar and Ramiz. Yes it's not the most sophisticated airport in the world and the facilities are a bit basic, but it does the job just fine.

In fact there was so little security checking on my trip that I was a bit concerned about what might have slipped through. So Waqar's comments about endless security checking are unrecognisable to me, unless the procedures have changed/are different for international flights.

If you want to see what painful airports are really like, try flying from Muscat to London. Beautiful sophisticated large airport but endless security checks, including one before the plane's entrance. Weirdly, they make you throw away all liquids at this point, despite the fact that between the last security check and this one, the only way to get your hands on liquids is by buying them in duty free. So I had this ridiculous situation where I had just bought myself a soft drink from Pret to consume on the plane but had to throw it away before I boarded the plane!

Strangely, there were no such double security checks when I flew a week earlier from Muscat to Dubai. I'm not sure if they reserve this double security check policy for London bound flights only.
    Last edited by Usman; 25th December 2018 at 10:12.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4996 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Islamabad airport is fantastic considering our pathetic standards. All the stories of it falling apart and the mismanagement etc. sound exaggerated because people do not want to associate anything good with the previous government.

Sure there must be a few problems here and there, but they are expected considering it is still very new, and besides, it is Pakistan after all.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4544 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Credit to PTI once again, they are moving the needle it's great to see

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bhai you were drinking the energy drink called STING, to make your time go smoothly

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lhr airport they shamelessly ask for bribes and is tiny... karachi airport is a little better, but always over crowded and uncomfortable, plus i had the guy try to weasel his way in trying to find something wrong in my documentations when there was nothing... Islamabad old airport was the better of the three, but still way below par of what you expect from an airport... I haven't used the new one yet so cannot comment there.

The key to these airports was arriving early for your flight, if you are just on time (or 1- 1.5 hrs early only) or late then you are asking for trouble, the guys will try to hassle you enough for you to bribe them.... so always give yourself time, LOTS OF TIME, and then find the VIP lounge regardless of ur ticket class, and purchase something from within (tip the waiter, it helps from getting ousted if u are not a vip), and relax... these two things always helped...