Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Lahore Airport is a test of nerves" : Waqar Younis

Waqar Younis doesn't seem too impressed. What are your experiences of Lahore airport? I have never been there, in Pakistan I have only ever been to Karachi.

Debut
    Dec 2007
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    He is right, the airport is to small for the volume it handles.

But they are currently working on expanding the terminal.

Here is the render:

After this is constructed (hopefully will be completed), should help a lot. They are already almost done with the underground parking deck.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My experience was smooth as there weren't many people there at the time. Also am surprised that unlike the common man, Waqar had to go through all that. I mean how could a precious hour from his time be wasted when people spend hours and hours of their time going through these security checks. He should post a video regarding this fiasco and refer to himself in the third person ASAP.
    Last edited by DeadBall; 16th April 2018 at 20:43.

Debut
    Jun 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Hate going to this airport. As soon as you land, porters run up to you begging for you to take their service. Even after saying politely 2-3 no thank you, they keep being annoying. Once, one of them grabbed my luggage anyway and started pushing my cart and then acted disrespected when I refused to pay. When leaving, customs officials have never failed to try and get me to give them a bribe to let me pass without going through my luggage.

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    The solution to get better and more efficient airports in the sub-continent is to privatize, privatize, privatize.

The difference before and after is night and day.

Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    everywhere
    Runs
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadBall View Post
    My experience was smooth as there weren't many people there at the time. Also am surprised that unlike the common man, Waqar had to go through all that. I mean how could a precious hour from his time be wasted when people spend hours and hours of their time going through these security checks. He should post a video regarding this fiasco and refer to himself in the third person ASAP.
    You forgot that he should also return back to where he came from.

Debut
    Dec 2008
    Venue
    Norway
    Runs
    Mentioned
    480 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Generally about AirPort experience in Pakistan ( ISB and LHR);
    They need to Invest in modern equipment. Too many manual controls of baggage and when it’s 45 degrees Celcius and children are crying, wants to go to toilet etc this surely is a test of patience.
    Just have one desk for check in like other AirPorts.

And then this rubbish of photo-copies of passports and stamps. To much hassle really. That is why I always say it is very difficul to enter Pakistan legally, much easier for terrorists etc.

And the luggage corruption needs to end as well, can not believe it is still going on.

Ki Mohammad (saw) sey wafa tu ney tou hum terey hain
    Yeh jahaan cheez kya hai Loh-o-Qalam tere hain

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Lahore in general is a test of nerves. If I ever become president, first order of business will be mandatory driving lessons for Lahorias and Multanis. The number of times I almost got ran over while walking on what passes for a sidewalk in this joke of a city in the last two months is orders of magnitude higher than the number of times I've almost been run over in the 27 non Lahore years before that (the Multan period notwithstanding). The weather and the hyperconservative people just make things worse.

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Venue
    Andromeda
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Punjab (Pakistani) Police are one of the worst human beings I've had bad luck to meet, near Lahore airport. I am generalizing but this police department are a bunch of pathetic bunch. Corrupt.

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhenSultansBowled View Post
    Punjab (Pakistani) Police are one of the worst human beings I've had bad luck to meet, near Lahore airport. I am generalizing but this police department are a bunch of pathetic bunch. Corrupt.
    You need to have an encounter with Sindh Police outsode Karachi, preferably in rural Sindh, to see what the words corrupt and pathetic mean. Punjab police are amateurs by comparison.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    Cybertron, Guest of Optimus Prime
    Runs
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I just got back from islamabad and it was a test of nerves. But the checks were relatively efficient, and it took an hour. But I can understand why they do them. The officials were relatively respectful and not rude. Just followed their instructions and it went ok. Took time as there were five flights so always good to get there four hours before time. Cant wait for them to give the airport back to the PAF.

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Venue
    Andromeda
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DW44 View Post
    You need to have an encounter with Sindh Police outsode Karachi, preferably in rural Sindh, to see what the words corrupt and pathetic mean. Punjab police are amateurs by comparison.
    Damn. That explains a lot.

My condolences with people who have to endure these thugs with a smile every day.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Sindh police in Karachi is worse with locals with no understanding of the city since almost all of them aren't from Karachi

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    457 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Varun View Post
    The solution to get better and more efficient airports in the sub-continent is to privatize, privatize, privatize.

The difference before and after is night and day.
    True I remember the early2000s airports worst service ever, one example is the Bagdogra airport ,I mean so much crowd in that airport but local thugs aren't allowing it to expand, and they legit had coolies outside.

It's the only air gateway to Siliguri which in turn goes to Nepal,Bangladesh,Sikkim , Darjeeling and probably more,talk about Bengal being so inefficient, although Kolkata airport looks amazing.

I have to say though because of airport improvement it's amazing,but all airports look the same to me ,glass and steel.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    For international flights I've only ever been through the Karachi airport and although the process is long and at times seems quite redundant (what is the need to check me 2 or 3 times) but it is fairly efficient and it takes about 30-45 mins from the time you enter the airport till you get to your gate waiting for boarding.

#Mein inko rolaonga

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Venue
    Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only problem iíve ever had is getting into the airport itself... when airlines like Etihad, Emirates etc are departing at similar times it is hell.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Coming back to Manchester last November, I had a terrible experience, a lot of flights had been delayed due to fog or the incessant smoke that you get in Lahore these days. Thus, it was such a challenge in just trying to reach the check in desk as the entry points leading to the doors of the terminal were rammed with passengers and there was so much pushing and shoving. But I'm glad I made it to the plane eventually.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Madplayer View Post
    You forgot that he should also return back to where he came from.
    Yep, hilarious. However, I only traveled domestic to Lahore though as I mostly landed in Karachi and once in Islamabad during international flights.

Debut
    Aug 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HAHAHA

Waqar should try flying from Bacha Khan "International" Airport, Peshawar.

He will appreciate all other air ports a lot more.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4527 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blackanhyellow View Post
    HAHAHA

I genuinely think it is the worst airport in the world, because I cannot imagine how an airport can be worse.

If your first impression of Pakistan is the Peshawar Airport, you would think that you have ended up in Afghanistan by mistake.

The infrastructure and organization is a joke, and if the luggage trickles along on a torn belt. You have to wait for like two hours to collect your stuff.

I usually take the VIP lounge so I donít have to deal with long queues, but the renovation these days have made things worse.

It needs a complete overhaul from scratch. Shut down the airport for a year, bulldoze it and start from zero.

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    HAHAHA

I once had a flight from there delayed by 11 hours (PIA's fault, not the airport's) and they served everyone food from the airport. Somehow, there was a hornet (those big ones in Peshawar that are, ironically enough, black and yellow) in my 250ml bottle of Pepsi. To this day I can't figure out how it got there, at ~10pm no less.

Fauj ka jo yaar hay, mulk ka ghaddar hay,
    Ye jo dehshatgardi hay, is kay peechay wardi hay.

Debut
    Aug 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    I genuinely think it is the worst airport in the world, because I cannot imagine how an airport can be worse.

If your first impression of Pakistan is the Peshawar Airport, you would think that you have ended up in Afghanistan by mistake.

The infrastructure and organization is a joke, and if the luggage trickles along on a torn belt. You have to wait for like two hours to collect your stuff.

I usually take the VIP lounge so I donít have to deal with long queues, but the renovation these days have made things worse.

It needs a complete overhaul from scratch. Shut down the airport for a year, bulldoze it and start from zero.
    I agree. Needs a complete reconstruction. Also the security is a nightmare to get through. I get that it is necessary for that area, but man, I have never encountered so many air port security check points in my life, and that is not even including the military check points on the way to the air port.

I once had a flight from there delayed by 11 hours (PIA's fault, not the airport's) and they served everyone food from the airport. Somehow, there was a hornet (those big ones in Peshawar that are, ironically enough, black and yellow) in my 250ml bottle of Pepsi. To this day I can't figure out how it got there, at ~10pm no less.
    Doesn't surprise me at all.

But PIA from Peshawar airport, talk about double trouble.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4527 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    I agree. Needs a complete reconstruction. Also the security is a nightmare to get through. I get that it is necessary for that area, but man, I have never encountered so many air port security check points in my life, and that is not even including the military check points on the way to the air port.

Doesn't surprise me at all.

But PIA from Peshawar airport, talk about double trouble.
    My father worked for the government so thankfully I am able to bypass the security checks with his service card. However, it is certainly a nightmare for regular citizens.

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Venue
    Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My father worked for the government so thankfully I am able to bypass the security checks with his service card. However, it is certainly a nightmare for regular citizens.
    You arenít a regular citizen... Having a father in the government gives you a sense of entitlement ???

Debut
    Jun 2015
    Venue
    Srinagar
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by babajee View Post
    You aren’t a regular citizen... Having a father in the government gives you a sense of entitlement ???
    Don't believe everything you hear on the internet bro Also, if his dad being a government servant gives the benefit of bypassing some of the security, that's hardly Mamoon's fault

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did't have much off a problem except when you go inside is to much rush by the gate.

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And there we have it.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4527 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by babajee View Post
    You aren’t a regular citizen... Having a father in the government gives you a sense of entitlement ???
    Quote Originally Posted by Halaribo View Post
    And there we have it.
    No need of doing bhangra.

It is not misuse of authority; it is a privilege that has been 'legally' provided by the Government of Pakistan, as recognition for years of service at a certain post. My father was Chief Commissioner FBR KP, which means free healthcare for his immediate family (wife and children) in all public hospitals in Pakistan, and a lifetime service card that allows us to bypass security checks.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4527 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adijazz1706 View Post
    Don't believe everything you hear on the internet bro Also, if his dad being a government servant gives the benefit of bypassing some of the security, that's hardly Mamoon's fault
    It is no one's fault. It is a privilege provided by the government of Pakistan to bureaucracy.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Attock
    Runs
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is no one's fault. It is a privilege provided by the government of Pakistan to bureaucracy.
    Is it written somewhere on the card or is there a law that family can use service card to bypass security checks ? I do not think it is perfectly legal. It has just become a norm.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Pakistani airports in general are a pain (tbh I've been to only three ie LHR KHI and ISB old one)...

Of the three Karachi is easily best and most well managed despite having the most traffic

Let's hope new ISB airport is good

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4527 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenstorm View Post
    Is it written somewhere on the card or is there a law that family can use service card to bypass security checks ? I do not think it is perfectly legal. It has just become a norm.
    I do not carry the card with me personally. It is always there in my fatherís car, and that is why I use his car when I have to go the Peshawar Airport. The MP guys specifically ask for a service card, and they do realize that it is my fatherís.

What is part of law and what is norm are not always clear. However, if you live in Peshawar and have to deal with the security checkpoints every 2 kilometers, you would do anything to bypass the security measures.

People do not realize what the residents of Peshawar have to go through on daily basis. If you live in the cantt area, you have to go through 10 military guys just to buy eggs from the supermarket.

Debut
    Sep 2007
    Venue
    Unknown
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whatís up with the photocopies of your passport and a thousand rupees charge in ISB when you are to depart?