Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why it is almost impossible to pitch a 110 mph fastball

Interesting video about the science behind why it's impossible, I know it's from cricket's much looked down upon cousin - baseball, however there are a lot of similarities and 110 mph seems to be the glass ceiling for fast balls.

"Be the best version of yourself"

Debut
    Jul 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And this should explain the ** that we hear about Thomson bowling at 170kph and 180kph. Thats all **! I honestly dont think anybody ever bowled quicker than what Shoaib Akhtar did. And I dont think Thommo was faster than Shoaib.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rightarmfast View Post
    And this should explain the ** that we hear about Thomson bowling at 170kph and 180kph. Thats all **! I honestly dont think anybody ever bowled quicker than what Shoaib Akhtar did. And I dont think Thommo was faster than Shoaib.
    yeah that's just hype ** lol. According to the experts the fastest balls would range between 100 to 105 mph so 170-180 kph is WAY too fast and this is baseball so cricket would have a range between 90 to 100 mph. Even if a bowler could bowl that fast they can't do it for much longer because the wear and tear that happens to your tendons and ligaments.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    618 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    @Junaids

What was the max pace of Jeff Thomson?

At the end of a stressful, depressing day, a dose of cricket is what can cheer us up.

Debut
    Jul 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    @Junaids

What was the max pace of Jeff Thomson?
    He was clocked at 159.7k's. But he goes on to say that would regularly bowl at around 170-180k's. I am not even sure if that speed clock was correct which measured Thommo's speeds.

Debut
    Jul 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakistanian View Post
    yeah that's just hype ** lol. According to the experts the fastest balls would range between 100 to 105 mph so 170-180 kph is WAY too fast and this is baseball so cricket would have a range between 90 to 100 mph. Even if a bowler could bowl that fast they can't do it for much longer because the wear and tear that happens to your tendons and ligaments.
    Even Shoaib clocked 158+ very few times, I mean maybe around 3-4 times. So 170, 180 is total bull. Cant believe some Aussie fans believe that.

Debut
    Jan 2014
    Venue
    Deen Over Dunya
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I doubt anyone can even bowl 165, forget about 170 or 180.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lets not forget the wear it does to a players heart, bowling so fast for so long could cardiac issues like an enlarged heart. A fast bowler croaking over cause of sudden cardiac arrest isn't far fetched.

Debut
    Jan 2008
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Yeah, the Thomson numbers have always defied logic.

May the Hawks Fly Forever. Lightning Hawks CC -- Team Thread.

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think speed guns function properly, Shoaib Akhtar was bowling faster than what it showed most of the times. I think he clocked170+ easily.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thommo is a certified merchant haha

I think it is very unlikely that we will ever see a bowler of Akhtar's consistent pace, let alone the level just below him of Lee, Waqar and Tait.

In a few years, we may not even see bowlers at Steyn's prime pace, which was about 86-90 mph. the dynamics of the game have changed too much and with pitches at their flattest ever and boundaries so short, bowling fast is no longer an incentive.
    Last edited by UN talkz; 17th April 2018 at 12:25.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShahidDar08 View Post
    I don't think speed guns function properly, Shoaib Akhtar was bowling faster than what it showed most of the times. I think he clocked170+ easily.
    Well Nick Knight who faced Akhtar certainly thought so. Also, watching interviews from a number of batsmen, remember seeing one from Ponting a few years back, they believed Akhtar was often bowling faster than the speed gun.

Debut
    Jan 2012
    Venue
    Sydney, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by barah_admi View Post
    Thommo is a certified merchant haha

I think it is very unlikely that we will ever see a bowler of Akhtar's consistent pace, let alone the level just below him of Lee, Waqar and Tait.

In a few years, we may not even see bowlers at Steyn's prime pace, which was about 86-90 mph. the dynamics of the game have changed too much and with pitches at their flattest ever and boundaries so short, bowling fast is no longer an incentive.
    Steyn could crank it up and hit 150+ regularly in some spells when on song, definitely in the 90-93mph range at his prime
    Last edited by UN talkz; 17th April 2018 at 12:24.

Debut
    Nov 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Akhtar was pitching them at 160-170kph easily, especially with that action :p

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by angrypathan View Post
    Steyn could crank it up and hit 150+ regularly in some spells when on song, definitely in the 90-93mph range at his prime
    He was 90-93 maybe for a couple years but after that, he was never consistently that fast for a long enough period for me to label him that type.

Debut
    Jul 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by silentkiller187 View Post
    Akhtar was pitching them at 160-170kph easily, especially with that action :p
    I thought he was bowling at 270-280mph. Surely, u dont mean he was bowling at 170kph!