Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Umar Amin's recent aggression and stroke play

Of late every time i have seen this guy bat, he looks much more confident and to be honest some of his stroke play is just pleasing to the eye. He should definitely be given a go in our ODI and T-20 teams for the time being. If anything he is definitely a better option than Shan Masood and can be given a go as test opener.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    246 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Deserves a go in all three formats. Once in a generation type of player

Debut
    Nov 2016
    Venue
    Kanayda
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Da_Future_Knick View Post
    Yeh thora zeda ho gya kaka. Let him perform consistently in T20s first before you call him a once in a generation type player...

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Given his international performances to date, he's perhaps once in a generation in terms of mental fragility.

He deserves a go based on merit but that hyperbole is ridiculous.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Opening has really solved his batting problems sort of what happened to Sharma..sadly our opening slot is full with Azhar to come and Imam playong v well.

So a NO in odis but surely in T20I

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    246 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HuzaifaE View Post
    Given his international performances to date, he's perhaps once in a generation in terms of mental fragility.

He deserves a go based on merit but that hyperbole is ridiculous.
    Heís technically the best batsman in Pakistan. His only downfall was his lack of confidence which was a result of 13 ODIS over a span of 5 years.

With the gain in confidence and becoming mentally stronger, NOTHING can stop him now.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    Not quite all there.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    918 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Once in a life time talent, not everybody has an eye for talent that's why you see a lot whiners here when his name is mentioned.

Now that his foot is through the door he will go far.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CLH should be back in T20 and ODI team and if performs, in test too. There is no better batsman than him ( after Babar and Azhar , ODI and test respectively) in Pakistan ATM.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    420 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Once in a lifetime talent, indeed.

A skilled hawk conceals its talons.

Debut
    Jun 2011
    Venue
    Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pakistan has LOTS AND LOTS OF once in a life time players.... Surely in my little life of 30 years, I have seen hell lot of once in a life time Pakistani players.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good enough to average 40 @85-90 as opener.

Debut
    Apr 2016
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    308 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moghul View Post
    CLH should be back in T20 and ODI team and if performs, in test too. There is no better batsman than him ( after Babar and Azhar , ODI and test respectively) in Pakistan ATM.
    Haris is 10x the batsman Amin will ever be.

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    Pan ka Khoka
    Runs
    Mentioned
    775 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Deserves a go but if we give him a run of 10 games in LOIs (T20), I won't be surprised if in 6 of those he'll be out in single digits while the remaining 4 innings he'll most probably score a couple of 50s and two cute 40 odds all at a SR less than run a ball.

That said we should at least give him a go for these 10 game & be done with it - The most mentally fragile player I've ever seen come out of a Pakistani dressing room, (Yes!! that same dressing room includes players like Shafiq and Rahat as well)..

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ahmedwaqas92 View Post
    Deserves a go but if we give him a run of 10 games in LOIs (T20), I won't be surprised if in 6 of those he'll be out in single digits while the remaining 4 innings he'll most probably score a couple of 50s and two cute 40 odds all at a SR less than run a ball.

That said we should at least give him a go for these 10 game & be done with it - The most mentally fragile player I've ever seen come out of a Pakistani dressing room, (Yes!! that same dressing room includes players like Shafiq and Rahat as well)..
    Perhaps if he is so mentally weak, he should see a sports psychologist like Shezzy is doing

Debut
    Aug 2009
    Venue
    home
    Runs
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every player is once in a lifetime player, because they become a player once in their lifetime, except for maybe Afridi who retired at least 10 times before taking it back, making him once in 1/10 lifetime player.

In merit vs potential, potential usually causes the greatest heartbreak

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's a bit like Umar Gul in terms of rhythm. When he is confident, he looks very elegant, and has an amazing range of strokes. But when he is out of touch or form, he bats like a tailender. Hopefully he would have toughened up by now after years in domestic.

Debut
    Aug 2009
    Venue
    home
    Runs
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyRabbit View Post
    He's a bit like Umar Gul in terms of rhythm. When he is confident, he looks very elegant, and has an amazing range of strokes. But when he is out of touch or form, he bats like a tailender. Hopefully he would have toughened up by now after years in domestic.
    That's unfortunately the problem with all the Umars that have played for Pakistan.

In merit vs potential, potential usually causes the greatest heartbreak

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Between Rawalpindi and Hobart
    Runs
    Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Opening in tests is where I want him. Him and Azhar would make a good combo. Plus Amin’s medium pace will come in handy in our foreign tests

"Last time Uganda toured Canada, half their team ran away to start a new life" - cricfan967

Debut
    Feb 2011
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pakistanigoneaussie View Post
    Opening in tests is where I want him. Him and Azhar would make a good combo. Plus Amin’s medium pace will come in handy in our foreign tests
    Donít think he should be playing tests.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1583 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Once in a lifetime

PP hype machine at work again. Let him atleast perform before giving him such titles.

#Hum apko container deingaye dharnay ke liyay

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by asfandyar View Post
    That's unfortunately the problem with all the Umars that have played for Pakistan.
    Not really, Umar Akmal could grind out some runs till 2014 even when he was out of form. Now he has just lost it.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Runs
    Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahson8 View Post
    Don’t think he should be playing tests.
    dont think they are many better options in the short term, Sami clearly needs work and less said about Shan the better

"Last time Uganda toured Canada, half their team ran away to start a new life" - cricfan967

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read it earlier somewhere on this forum mentioning that we invested in the wrong 'Umar'. I believe this is very much true. Amin, Shahzad, Umar Akmal and Amir were all part of the same U19 team which I believed to be a thoroughly talented team. This team although did not win the U19 WC (India won under Virat) but I felt it gave me enough reason to assess that Amin was superior than Shahzad and Akmal and should be long term investment. However, the bright start Shahzad and Akmal had got everyone believing that those two are the miracle kids and unfortunately for Amin he had the exact opposite success early on.

Having said that when a talent or a player is identified so early in his career like Amin or currently Shinwari, Shadab, etc then these sort of talented kids should not be thrown into domestics to rot, instead they should be worked closely with coaches and in return have a better prospect for furture.

Unfortunately this was not the case under Misbah's tenure. Misbah has my respect for all that he has done for Pakistan cricket on and off the field but one aspect where he thoroughly lacked intuition was backing young players. He never felt confident in them and never backed them maybe as a youngster himself he got the stick and thought that all youngsters should go through the same route he had. Whatever the case if in Misbah's era we backed a player like Amin we would genuinely have had a good prospect on hand.

Overall, I was never a critique of Amin in terms of his strokeplay or abilities. All Amin needed early on in his career was an iota of luck which he never had. Got a start to his career in gloomiest of UK conditions against Anderson and Broad brought his test career to a 7 year and running halt. Got strange dismissals under his belt during his brief international career, eg telescope caught behind, runout while changing sides, etc. All this signs of this lad never had slight bit of luck on his side. But I'm happy for him now as he has now consistently put runs on board over all formats to get a nod from even his critics. Finally, I wish him all the best and hope he makes it count in internationals and make up for the lost time by scoring runs.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    goodness me the hype we create is unbelievable. Couldn't deliver on first chance wouldn't deliver on second or third.. try it you 'll know...

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is absurd. He is just decent enough for Pakistani standards which itself is quite low in batting and making him sound like 'once in a generation type' is just an example of hyper hyping a product which will always come back to bite you.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol... I can't believe someone said this with a straight face. Come on.

He is worth giving a shot but that is an absurd statement. Nothing about his overall domestic track record suggest he is elite or anything. He may be better than Shehzad/Azhar etc.. in LOI but that's not exactly that impressive.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    Not quite all there.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    918 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    You don't realize the making of a legend, until he has already retired. Keep that in mind.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Mississauga
    Runs
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    Once in a lifetime

PP hype machine at work again. Let him atleast perform before giving him such titles.
    Why did you change your avatar?! On my first glance I though you were a different person.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Mississauga
    Runs
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think he should be given a couple games before we start judging him.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1583 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CadPakFan View Post
    Why did you change your avatar?! On my first glance I though you were a different person.
    Ok ok Ill change it back... I was finding it weird too.

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    Ok ok Ill change it back... I was finding it weird too.
    What did you change it to?

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1583 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mak36 View Post
    What did you change it to?
    Hasan Ali showing a fist

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    347 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He definitely deserves a chance. Can play through the offside and onside versus pace and spin. Also a good fielder and is an opition with the ball. Only thing that worries me is mental game. If he gets a run of games and fails that could be the end of him.

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another good innings today, want him to have another chance opening in ODIs.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    388 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay Garrett View Post
    Yeh thora zeda ho gya kaka. Let him perform consistently in T20s first before you call him a once in a generation type player...
    You think he would do worse than 'senior' Hafeez in ODIs? At least he can bowl as well..

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "This business that it's 'up to Misbah' whether he wants to play or not ‚Äď that's rubbish - it's up to the selectors," Chappell said.

Debut
    Nov 2016
    Venue
    Kanayda
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MRSN View Post
    You think he would do worse than 'senior' Hafeez in ODIs? At least he can bowl as well..
    There are better replacements for Hafeez: Talat, Yamin.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Venue
    I live in Canada; My heart lives in Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2560 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    dont think they are many better options in the short term, Sami clearly needs work and less said about Shan the better
    Imam? Or Imran Butt?

Or even Shehzad for Tests solely (last option).

Would keep Amin to LOIs.

Hai yeh Josh-e-Junoon, hai yeh apna yaqeen, ke jo tum mein hai dum, woh kisi mein nahin!

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    246 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watch and observe.

ATG talent

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Runs
    Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Square Drive View Post
    Imam? Or Imran Butt?

Would keep Amin to LOIs.
    Shezhad needs to get his mind sorted. I have been supportive of him in tests but he has become increasingly timid which is the same reason I donít want Sami right now. You canít have a top three that always bats at 2 an over.

Our next tests are all in foreign conditions, itís wrong to throw in a youngster

Amin is in the form of his life and has been on plenty of A tours. He will know this will arguably be his last chance. We all righty mock his CLH status but his technique is one of the better ones in Pakistan.

For the immediate future he his is the best option imo

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hopefully Sarfraz I will only play friends and seniors Ahmed makes him open instead of Shafiq in PSL.

Debut
    Apr 2016
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    308 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Watch and observe.

ATG talent
    Please stop, I can't bear the cringe.

If you mean ATG talent in terms of a batsman having no spine then yes, he's right up there.

Debut
    Apr 2016
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    308 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Square Drive View Post
    Imam? Or Imran Butt?

Would keep Amin to LOIs.
    Imran Butt is a decent test option, he's more of a stroke maker than Sami and isn't as much of a dud against spin. A shame that he hasn't been able to truly kick his FC on.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Runs
    Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamza_ View Post
    Hopefully Sarfraz I will only play friends and seniors Ahmed makes him open instead of Shafiq in PSL.
    No one can ignore Amin’s runs of late. He will play I’m sure but Technique will find a way in the 11 as well

Debut
    Apr 2016
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    308 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Shezhad needs to get his mind sorted. I have been supportive of him in tests but he has become increasingly timid which is the same reason I don’t want Sami right now. You can’t have a top three that always bats at 2 an over.

Our next tests are all in foreign conditions, it’s wrong to throw in a youngster

Amin is in the form of his life and has been on plenty of A tours. He will know this will arguably be his last chance. We all righty mock his CLH status but his technique is one of the better ones in Pakistan.

For the immediate future he his is the best option imo
    It's never been a question of technique or ability with Amin, the guy have zero guts. And I'm not convinced he's improved in that regard, up until he shows that he's a grown a spine he shouldn't be anywhere near the test team.

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellipsism View Post
    It's never been a question of technique or ability with Amin, the guy have zero guts. And I'm not convinced he's improved in that regard, up until he shows that he's a grown a spine he shouldn't be anywhere near the test team.
    Which is why he needs another chance to show heís grown a spine

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Runs
    Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well how is he going to show it ?

We can’t do any worse than what we have now

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This thread is about his recent form and aggression, but still they connect his previous failures and not acknowledging his form as an opener and no.3 (top order batsman).. Looks like he clearly worked on his mental side of the game and purchased the modern day batting.

Scored loads of runs across all formats since the pak one day cup last year. In the past, and in one of his interviews he said he gave up the opening slot for some juniors during an under-19 tour to Australia and the guy who took from him was shehzad i think. And also again in one of the interviews he said he needs to accomodate international openers in Jamshed, Butt and Kamran at NBP or PIA so gave up opening and played in the middle order.

Now he is back to his opening spot which he should have done long ago.. He should continue to open in all formats in the domestics first and he will surely find his feet in internationals across all formats hopefully.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Imran Butt is a decent test option, he's more of a stroke maker than Sami and isn't as much of a dud against spin. A shame that he hasn't been able to truly kick his FC on.
    You always come up with names of players comparatively weaker in technique, runs scored , avg etc considering who want to compare from the post.

Why is that?

Compared to Imran Butt. Shan , Sami, Amin and Shehzad are better openers AFAIK.

Wasnt that u the one who said Hasan ali will do nothing with his height or is it Junaids.

Debut
    Apr 2016
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    308 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ask_analyse_act View Post
    You always come up with names of players comparatively weaker in technique, runs scored , avg etc considering who want to compare from the post.

Why is that?

Compared to Imran Butt. Shan , Sami, Amin and Shehzad are better openers AFAIK.

Wasnt that u the one who said Hasan ali will do nothing with his height or is it Junaids.
    I was one of the few that backed Hasan Ali from day one, so don't know what you're on about.

You've failed to provide me with any reasons not to back Imran, and you speak as I'm the only one that backs him. There are actually a couple on here, namely Chief and Mamoon.

Name me one of these supposed players that I back that are comparatively weaker than a bunch of TTF.
    Last edited by Ellipsism; 23rd November 2017 at 04:58.

Debut
    Apr 2016
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    308 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well how is he going to show it ?

We can’t do any worse than what we have now
    Is he not in the T20 team?

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Runs
    Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Is he not in the T20 team?
    Meant in tests

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay Garrett View Post
    Thora nai kafi zyada ho gya hay. He needs to stop giving soft catches at 30s-40s first. Bazu pura ghumana chahiye.

Debut
    Apr 2016
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    308 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Meant in tests
    He should prove himself in OD and T20's before he's even considered for the test team.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    208 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He should prove himself in OD and T20's before he's even considered for the test team.
    should be given chance in odi and t2o.the poor lad has not been given fair chances in any format,

Debut
    Nov 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Umar Amin is a must in the ODI squad

What is your opinion on UmAr Amin
    Last edited by UN talkz; 17th April 2018 at 14:06.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope. He has played before and just isn't good enough. Pakistan have a settled ODI side and some really good players, a lot better than Amin, making it into the squad.

Debut
    Jun 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    unlike mediocre never beens like Shan Masood and Shehzad he has never made one meaningful contribution arguably the biggest ttf in the country.

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Letís see what he can do against the Zimbos (if he is selected). The guy hasnít been given a consistent run yet for us to write him off.

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by babajee View Post
    Let’s see what he can do against the Zimbos (if he is selected). The guy hasn’t been given a consistent run yet for us to write him off.
    What would your squad be?

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khan12 View Post
    What would your squad be?
    No Azhar, Malik and Hafeez. Rest Amir, Hasan and Junaid.

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by babajee View Post
    No Azhar, Malik and Hafeez. Rest Amir, Hasan and Junaid.
    Agree with this. Do you think we should take Shaheen?

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khan12 View Post
    Agree with this. Do you think we should take Shaheen?
    Definitely.