Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    T50 next, devaluing the game year by year.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Shadab picked up by Southern Brave.

Well there's more money thrown down the toilet.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Oppose The 100 is trending in the UK on Twitter.

ECB jokers take the message.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markhor View Post
    Oppose The 100 is trending in the UK on Twitter.

ECB jokers take the message.
    so is the hundred draft, when was the last time domestic t20 preseason trended in the uk?

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1591 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Loving this draft so far.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ElRaja View Post
    so is the hundred draft, when was the last time domestic t20 preseason trended in the uk?
    Most fans are against this new format. The T20 Blast in its first week this year sold more advanced tickets than any previous edition since 2003, and some counties even saw record attendances.

That's all despite ECB sabotaging its own tournament, so imagine what they could do if they spent a fraction of the resources they've been putting behind this farcical Hundred.

Again, why the need to reinvent the wheel ? Put the T20 Blast on free to air TV. Why can't ECB make the case for its own product ?

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Venue
    New Zealand
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are actually a lot of good international players (even aussies, smith, starc etc.) that have decided to play in this stupid format

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1591 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    So is there going to be a new category of statistics for this format or what? Can't imagine it'd be combined with T20.

Debut
    Sep 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just watched the previous round of the draft live, man was that boring!

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most fans are against this new format. The T20 Blast in its first week this year sold more advanced tickets than any previous edition since 2003, and some counties even saw record attendances.

That's all despite ECB sabotaging its own tournament, so imagine what they could do if they spent a fraction of the resources they've been putting behind this farcical Hundred.

Again, why the need to reinvent the wheel ? Put the T20 Blast on free to air TV. Why can't ECB make the case for its own product ?
    ecb need to reinvent the wheel because theres way too many counties. the counties retain domestic appeal but mean little to global audiences.

ecb is trying to appeal to a global audience im guessing. don't see the big deal tbh, twenty overs is silly enough, but its good entertainment in the right context. im guessing thats how this will pan out too. altho unless its on free to air i think itll be pretty meh....

fwiw i think theres still too many teams.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    451 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I could've seen this as being a fun one time tournament. I don't see this lasting more than 2 seasons at the most.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1591 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Debut
    Sep 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So Shaheen Afridi, Mohammad Amir and Shadab Khan are the Pakistani players picked

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1591 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    it’s smart because it’s different.

Will finish quickly

Debut
    Mar 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steve Smith isn’t that great of a pick. Strange that aB didn’t put himself in the draft.

Debut
    Oct 2007
    Venue
    Amsterdam / Faisalabad
    Runs
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No Shahid Afridi? His value on the market has gone down quickly it seems. He has done well in the past in the UK.

"You aren't a failure if you fail, you are a failure if you don't get up to try again" - Imran Khan.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shadab £75k lol.

Maybe nobody in England saw the SL series.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince of Pakistan View Post
    No Shahid Afridi? His value on the market has gone down quickly it seems. He has done well in the past in the UK.
    The guy made his debut in 1996. Even being in the draft is ridiculous let alone being picked.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if ten years ago someone had told me one thirds of england's premier short form cricket competition would have a fifth of its overseas contingent from afghanistan and nepal i would have thought them crazy.

should have delayed his biography, dont think many teams will fork out that much for a 44 year old.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hitthestump View Post
    Shadab £75k lol.

Maybe nobody in England saw the SL series.
    He was picked by Jayawardena.

Debut
    Jan 2012
    Venue
    Sydney, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Babar unpicked? Interesting

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by angrypathan View Post
    Babar unpicked? Interesting
    Babar will be in the T20 and Test Squads vs England this summer.

It clashes with the Hundred- so Babar would miss most of the tournament.

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its for the best, he can save his strength for actual leagues and the 1 t10 tournament, no need for this joke.

Debut
    Jan 2012
    Venue
    Sydney, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Viper View Post
    Babar will be in the T20 and Test Squads vs England this summer.

It clashes with the Hundred- so Babar would miss most of the tournament.
    Ah right makes sense, but won't most of the England players also miss most of the tournament then?

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by angrypathan View Post
    Ah right makes sense, but won't most of the England players also miss most of the tournament then?
    I believe so. The tournament starts July 17 and finishes August 16. England vs Pak Test series starts 30th July.

Maybe they can be available for games between tests?
    Last edited by The Viper; 21st October 2019 at 05:57.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Amir will be available for whole tournament as he is retired from tests and LOI will be in late August, early September.

Only tests will clash.

Shaheen will probably be in test Squad so will miss some of tournament.
    Last edited by The Viper; 21st October 2019 at 05:59.

Debut
    May 2019
    Venue
    New Zealand
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wait, they picked Williamson and Smith ahead of Babar. WHY?

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2010 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)

Rashid Khan was Trent Rockets’ first pick out of the 96 cricketers selected live tonight to compete in the first season of The Hundred. Players were selected from a pool of over 550 to play for one of the eight new men’s teams in the competition which starts next summer.

Leg spinning all-rounder D’Arcy Short, Lewis Gregory and Steven Mullaney were picked for Trent Rockets by Head Coach Stephen Fleming, where they will line up alongside England Test captain Joe Root. Jofra Archer will have West Indies international Andre Russell, opening batsman David Warner and Liam Dawson for company, as Mahela Jayawardena confirmed his Southern Brave squad.

Picking third on the night, Darren Lehmann confirmed Australian opening batsman Aaron Finch and mystery spinner Mujeeb Ur Rahman to play alongside Ben Stokes for Northern Superchargers, whilst Australians Mitchell Starc and Steve Smith were quickly selected for Gary Kirsten’s Welsh Fire in the opening round, where they will join Jonny Bairstow.

Oval Invincibles Head Coach Tom Moody opted for Sunil Narine, wicketkeeper-batsman Sam Billings and Nepal’s Sandeep Lamichhane to accompany Jason Roy, whilst Manchester Originals’ Simon Katich selected leg-spinner Imran Tahir, Dane Vilas and Phil Salt to play alongside Jos Buttler, who was selected earlier in the month.

London Spirit Head Coach Shane Warne snapped up Glenn Maxwell, Mohammad Nabi and England all-rounder Joe Denly for his Lord’s based side. They’ll join England’s World Cup winning captain Eoin Morgan, who was picked as a Local Icon at the start of October.

The final team to make their selection in The Hundred Draft was Birmingham Phoenix, whose Assistant Head Coach Daniel Vettori snapped up Liam Livingstone, New Zealand captain Kane Williamson and fast-bowler Shaheen Afridi to play alongside Chris Woakes next year.

The full list of player picks, for each team, in order of selection is outlined below.

Speaking about the evening and The Hundred Draft:

Andre Russell, Southern Brave’s first pick, said: “What a fun night – it’s an honour to be picked with so many other amazing international players in the mix. I’m really looking forward to spending the summer here and playing back in the UK. I know that The Hundred is going to be an exciting competition and I can’t wait to start training with my new Southern Brave teammates.”

Shane Warne, London Spirit Head Coach, said: “I’m used to playing a tactical game, but that was something else! Our position in the rounds meant that I had to think on my feet, and at times re-evaluate who I was going to pick and when. I’m thrilled to have Glenn Maxwell, Mohammad Nabi and Mark Wood join Eoin and Rory in the team and can’t wait to see them step up to the crease for London Spirit in the first season of The Hundred. I think 2020 is shaping up to be a really exciting year for cricket – so many people watched the sport for the first time this summer, and I’m confident The Hundred will get even more people watching next year.”

Alongside The Hundred Draft for the men’s competition, the next wave of marquee players were also announced for the women’s competition. Welsh Fire have welcomed Australia captain Meg Lanning to the team, London Spirit selected England star Tammy Beaumont, while New Zealand’s Suzie Bates is heading to Southern Brave.

Name:  c1.JPG
Views: 504
Size:  57.4 KB
    Name:  c2.JPG
Views: 509
Size:  78.2 KB
    Last edited by MenInG; 21st October 2019 at 11:00.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Oct 2007
    Venue
    Amsterdam / Faisalabad
    Runs
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Viper View Post
    Amir will be available for whole tournament as he is retired from tests and LOI will be in late August, early September.

Only tests will clash.

Shaheen will probably be in test Squad so will miss some of tournament.
    Pak is playing the Netherlands early July. So will probably miss most games.

"You aren't a failure if you fail, you are a failure if you don't get up to try again" - Imran Khan.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Pak is playing the Netherlands early July. So will probably miss most games.
    This doesn't start til mid-July, it's the England test series that affects availability.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2010 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Cape Town - Australia legend Shane Warne suggested Chris Gayle and Lasith Malinga were not selected in the first edition of The Hundred draft as they had over-priced themselves.

Both Gayle and Malinga had priced themselves in the top bracket of £125 000 and Warne, who will be head coach of London Spirit in the inaugural tournament, insists they would have been snapped up had their price been even one step lower.

"I think they priced themselves wrong," Warne said.

"If they'd gone in at £100 000 and not £125 000, I think they'd have been picked up."

Northern Superchargers counterpart Darren Lehmann added: "It was a tough one, they've been superstars for so long but then the next generation is knocking on the door... you've only got two picks at £125 000."

Afghanistan's Rashid Khan was the first pick of the draft with almost half of the other 'top bracket picks' being Australians.

England's player of the summer, Ben Stokes, who previously edged Test captain Joe Root as the landmark pick of the Headingley side, believes the competition represents a step up for the domestic calendar.

"Oh yes, 100 percent. Every game will be a big game, with so many people watching and playing against the very best in the world," said Stokes.

"It makes you a better cricketer when you’re exposed to better players and I'm really looking forward to playing for the franchise.

"I think we look like the best team on paper as we've got all bases covered: power, spin and Ben Foakes as keeper - he's the best in England."

Smith, who scored runs relentlessly in the recent Ashes series, appeared via video link from Sydney to voice his approval of an enterprise that has been greeted with mixed opinions in the UK.

"It's going to be exciting, the first ever 100-ball comp and I'm looking forward to joining Jonny Bairstow and Mitchell Starc at the tournament.

"It's a bit different and it’ll be a learning curve for the first few games but it's exciting."

https://www.sport24.co.za/Cricket/wa...draft-20191022

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2010 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Cricket's new The Hundred tournament is "not a threat" to the traditions of the game, says England and Wales Cricket Board chief executive Tom Harrison.

The Hundred features eight teams, representing seven cities from around the UK, and will be played from 17 July-16 August.

Matches feature 100 balls bowled in blocks of five or 10.

"It's about getting more kids to play without taking anything away from our county environment," Harrison said.

Addressing the Department of Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) select committee at Portcullis House in Westminster on the future of English cricket, Harrison, who began his role in January 2015, said: "The Hundred is all about growing the game in this country and protecting the things we value the most.

"It is a really good way of protecting Test and four-day cricket. This is engaging at a different level, that is something we should embrace and it is not a threat. It is a much greater threat to say everything is fine as we are."

Last weekend the Hundred saw an American-style draft system to determine which players would represent each new team, the first such draft in British sport.

Players such as West Indies all-rounder Andre Russell, Australian opener David Warner and Afghanistan spinner Rashid Khan will feature alongside England stars including Jofra Archer and Ben Stokes.

"We have 1.1m who regularly attend cricket and 10.1m who are followers, we have got to bridge that gap," Harrison added. "It's to encapsulate the new audience but keep the existing audience happy."

This summer England won the World Cup for the first time and a captivating Ashes series finished level at 2-2.

"We had 3.15m into grounds in this country, the most successful summer we have had for domestic cricket," Harrison said. "We have an enormous pocket of fans who are not embracing the opportunities as they exist at the moment. An average English cricket fan is 50 years old, with a 77% male bias, 82% towards white British. We have got an awfully big opportunity if we get it right to get a diverse and multi-cultural audience."

'They could have voted it down - they didn't'
    ECB chairman Colin Graves added: "We are changing cricket, you get resistance because nobody likes change. I played cricket for 40 years in Yorkshire and I understand where they are coming from but the game has got to move on.

"Everything we have done has been in consultation with our members and counties. We have 80,000 members who have been talked to. Nothing has been imposed. They could have voted it down - they didn't."

Asked what was wrong with T20 cricket for a new event to be launched, Harrison said: "Absolutely nothing, it has been a phenomenal format which has an amazing role. It's a fantastic format with eight consecutive years of growth and we are continuing to invest."

The competition will be on free-to-air television, with the BBC screening 10 men's matches from The Hundred and up to eight live matches from the women's competition, including both finals.

"If we hadn't had the new tournament terrestrial broadcasters would not have been back at the table," Harrison added. "We believe there is a market there for a new tournament.

"We want to bring down the barriers, make cricket more accessible. It's not just about linear channels, it's about the One Show, CBeebies, Asian Network, the enormous digital engagement the BBC brings us. If the men's World Cup taught us anything it is that the game is enormous in this country."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/50160696

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    37 Thread(s)
    They already have the best collection of overseas players after IPL. The perks of being a powerhouse.

This is going to be big. They have done very well to distinguish themselves from T20 cricket because the IPL will remain as the highest form of T20 cricket in the game.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    37 Thread(s)
    Shadab picked up by Southern Brave.

Well there's more money thrown down the toilet.
    Thoughts are with them. I hope they have the strength to cope with these tough times.

Luckily they have three sterling players in Archer, Warner and Russell to off-set his circus.

Debut
    Dec 2018
    Venue
    Mississauga , Ontario (originally from Islamabad)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    They already have the best collection of overseas players after IPL. The perks of being a powerhouse.

This is going to be big. They have done very well to distinguish themselves from T20 cricket because the IPL will remain as the highest form of T20 cricket in the game.
    No, it's just T17. What difference is 3 overs Gina make? Such a joke format. It will fail in 1-2 seasons.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    37 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyWarsFan View Post
    No, it's just T17. What difference is 3 overs Gina make? Such a joke format. It will fail in 1-2 seasons.
    As I explained in post #83, I think it is clever marketing and I think it will be a success. Excuse the poor analogy, it is like selling a product for 99 cents rather than a dollar.

The difference is extremely negligible, but it has a psychological impact on the consumer who think it is cheap and he/she is saving.

The difference between The Hundred and T20 is just 20 balls, but they have marketed it in a way that it feels like a unique format and a different brand.

The name, the 10 balls over and the emphasis on number of balls rather than number of overs can potentially make this format a hit.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2010 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Following reports in the last 24-hours about Andrew McDonaldís potential appointment as an assistant coach of the Australia menís team, Birmingham Phoenix can confirm that Andrew remains fully committed to his role as menís team Head Coach in The Hundred.

Birmingham Phoenix has held conversations with Andrew since the story broke yesterday morning and any potential appointment with Cricket Australia and the subsequent schedule of the Australia menís team would not affect his position.

Andrew has played a key role in our initial planning stages and through the assembly of the Birmingham Phoenix menís squad through the draft process. Everyone is looking forward to him joining us at Edgbaston for the launch of The Hundred next summer.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2010 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Northern Superchargers today announced Aaron Finch and Lauren Winfield as their menís and womenís team captains for the inaugural season of The Hundred.

Australiaís white ball captain Aaron Finch will lead a star-studded Superchargers side including his compatriot Chris Lynn and England stars Ben Stokes, Ben Foakes, Adil Rashid and David Willey.

Menís team Head Coach, Darren Lehmann selected Finch as his first-round pick in The Hundred Draft. Finch brings with him considerable short form knowledge to the Superchargers having played for seven IPL sides as well as the Melbourne Renegades in the Big Bash. He also has valuable English county experience through stints at both Surrey and Yorkshire.

World Cup winner Lauren Winfield returns to the north having previously captained Yorkshire Diamonds in the Kia Super League. She has played white ball cricket around the world representing Brisbane Heat, Hobart Hurricanes and the Adelaide Strikers in the Womenís Big Bash. She is joined at the Superchargers by compatriot Linsey Smith and Australian star keeper-batter Alyssa Healy.

Aaron Finch said: ďIíve spent many years working alongside Darren and Iím really excited to be heading back to Emerald Headingley as captain of the Northern Superchargers. I think we have an excellent side with a good mixture of quality English cricketers and some match-winning overseas stars and Iím very confident of our chances when The Hundred kicks off next summer.Ē

Lauren Winfield said: ďWomenís cricket has been going from strength to strength over the last few years and Iím delighted to be a part of the next chapter as captain of the Northern Superchargers. The Hundred means new teams, new kit, new team-mates, itís all very exciting for everyone involved and I canít wait to get out on the field next year and hopefully help lead the team to success.Ē

Darren Lehmann added: ďI think weíve picked a great team and Iím really excited to see what Aaron and I can do with the group. He is a world class cricketer and a superb leader. We want to start The Hundred with a bang and get even more people watching this innovative new short-form of cricket.Ē

Womenís Head Coach, Danielle Hazell said: ďHaving spent many years playing with Lauren I know she has what it takes to be a great captain for the Superchargers. Sheís played and thrived in some of the highest-profile matches and arenas our sport has to offer which bodes well for the first season of The Hundred and beyond.Ē

The five-week competition will be played at the height of summer, starting July 2020, featuring eight new city-based teams; Manchester Originals, Northern Superchargers, Trent Rockets, Birmingham Phoenix, Welsh Fire, Southern Brave, London Spirit and Oval Invincibles.

Debut
    Feb 2018
    Venue
    Peshawar
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It should have been The Ten. This is just an attention seeking tournament. Not much difference between T20 and 100 to be honest. I don't know why they even reduced it to 100 balls per innings? Strange. I think T10 cricket must be promoted. It is more entertaining than T20 cricket.