Jun 2017
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Toronto van attack leaves 10 pedestrians dead, accused charged with murder [Update Post #15]

There appears to be a number of fatalities after multiple pedestrians were struck by a white van in Toronto and police say the driver has been arrested.

Toronto police said the incident happened around 1 p.m. on Monday in the area of Yonge Street and Finch Avenue.

“Reports were that a white van mounted the curb, drove down the sidewalk at southbound Yonge, south of Finch, and struck eight to 10 people possibly, the numbers aren’t confirmed yet,” Toronto police spokesperson Gary Long told Global News.

Global News observed multiple bodies covered with blankets. Police said between eight and 10 people have been injured. The extent of the injuries is unknown.

Nick Sanka told Global News he was studying in an area Starbucks when he saw a truck “just running through.”

“I get up, and by the time I come here, I saw someone with blood trailing…”

Sanka said the van was “definitely speeding” and that the driver appeared to be in control.

“He did seem to have control over what he was doing … so it wasn’t some sort of impairment where he was swerving,” he said.

“He just [drove] straight through – and he managed to make a perfect turn at that corner as well.”

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau issued a brief statement Monday afternoon in response to the incident.

“We’re just learning about the situation in Toronto now. Our hearts go out to anyone affected,” he said.

“Obviously we’re going to have more to learn and more to say in the coming hours.”

The Toronto Transit Commission has shut down subway service between Sheppard and Finch stations due to the police investigation.

Officials said there will be no shuttle buses operating.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4161785/p...e-van-toronto/
    Last edited by UN talkz; 24th April 2018 at 23:30.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2070 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kroll View Post
    There appears to be a number of fatalities after multiple pedestrians were struck by a white van in Toronto and police say the driver has been arrested.

Toronto police said the incident happened around 1 p.m. on Monday in the area of Yonge Street and Finch Avenue.

“Reports were that a white van mounted the curb, drove down the sidewalk at southbound Yonge, south of Finch, and struck eight to 10 people possibly, the numbers aren’t confirmed yet,” Toronto police spokesperson Gary Long told Global News.

Global News observed multiple bodies covered with blankets. Police said between eight and 10 people have been injured. The extent of the injuries is unknown.

Nick Sanka told Global News he was studying in an area Starbucks when he saw a truck “just running through.”

“I get up, and by the time I come here, I saw someone with blood trailing…”

Sanka said the van was “definitely speeding” and that the driver appeared to be in control.

“He did seem to have control over what he was doing … so it wasn’t some sort of impairment where he was swerving,” he said.

“He just [drove] straight through – and he managed to make a perfect turn at that corner as well.”

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau issued a brief statement Monday afternoon in response to the incident.

“We’re just learning about the situation in Toronto now. Our hearts go out to anyone affected,” he said.

“Obviously we’re going to have more to learn and more to say in the coming hours.”

The Toronto Transit Commission has shut down subway service between Sheppard and Finch stations due to the police investigation.

Officials said there will be no shuttle buses operating.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4161785/p...e-van-toronto/

Holy smokes.... Yonge and Finch is just a couple of blocks away from where I live.

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    This is not a France style terrorist van attack is it?

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    563 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Sincerest condolences to the families of the victims.

Debut
    Mar 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alek Miniassian is named as the suspect

Last edited by DeadBall; 24th April 2018 at 03:30.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RIP to departed souls and wishing for speedy recovery for injured ones.

This is really sad news and I hope they caught the one who did this..

Debut
    Mar 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RIP to everyone.
    Never thought this can happen here but no place is safe I guess.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Lenapeistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    143 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rest in peace. Mass killings with vehicles are becoming a regular thing. How does one stop people from using vehicles in such unsafe manner? Many cities around the world have set up barriers but I think self driving vehicles will be a safer option.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Mississauga
    Runs
    Mentioned
    466 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Wow this is shocking to me especially since this is quite close to where I live, and I never expected such a mass killing to happen, but I guess anything can happen. Rest in peace to all those who lost their lives and I give out my prayers to those injured and in the hospital.

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Venue
    Watford, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The suspect is of Armenian origin and 90% of Armenia is Christian.

Well at least that will stop the conspiracy theories regarding the Canadian PM and his Middle East immigration policies we’re responsible for this attack. They will hide again in their corners.

But no doubt these people will pop up again when another attack happens.

RIP to the victims.

Debut
    Apr 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 90MPH View Post

Well at least that will stop the conspiracy theories regarding the Canadian PM and his Middle East immigration policies we’re responsible for this attack. They will hide again in their corners.

RIP to the victims.
    What about rest 10% ?What is the official announcement?

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Venue
    Alberta
    Runs
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    Holy smokes.... Yonge and Finch is just a couple of blocks away from where I live.
    couple of blocks away from where I once lived. Can't believe this is happening to my city.

Debut
    Mar 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mankuTimma View Post
    What about rest 10% ?What is the official announcement?
    Muslims are 0.3% of Armenia' population, so it's highly unlikely that he was Muslim. Anyways according to the Media, his motives are being linked to far right entities like Incel and 4Chan,

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Venue
    Jeddah
    Runs
    Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CNN) Toronto police have their suspect -- but they're still looking for a motive.

Alek Minassian, the man accused of plowing into pedestrians with a van Monday, was charged Tuesday with 10 counts of first-degree murder.

The 25-year-old is also charged with 13 counts of attempted murder.

Minassian, who was wearing a white jumpsuit with his hands cuffed behind him, appeared attentive during the brief hearing. His next court appearance will be a bail hearing on May 10.

Alek Minassian is charged with a total of 23 counts for Monday's van plowing attack.
    Alek Minassian is charged with a total of 23 counts for Monday's van plowing attack.
    Investigators are still trying to determine the motive behind the attack, which left 10 people dead and 15 hurt.

Police inspect a van used to strike pedestrians in the North York area of Toronto on Monday, April 23. Multiple people were killed or injured as the van swerved onto the sidewalk, plowing over people in its path.
    Police inspect a van used to strike pedestrians in the North York area of Toronto on Monday, April 23. Multiple people were killed or injured as the van swerved onto the sidewalk, plowing over people in its path.

"Obviously all Canadians continue and will continue to have questions about why this happened, what could possibly be the motive behind it," Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Tuesday.

So far, officials aren't calling the attack an act of terrorism. "There would appear to be no national security connection," Canadian Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale said.

But Toronto Police Chief Mark Saunders said "it's very clear just from a general perspective to say that the actions definitely look deliberate."

The van sped down a busy street Monday with reckless abandon, swerving into the wrong lanes of traffic and careening onto a sidewalk.

Minassian was arrested in a white rental van less than 30 minutes after police received a 911 call, Saunders said.

A body lies covered after the chaos near midtown Toronto.
    A body lies covered after the chaos near midtown Toronto.
    He said Toronto authorities hadn't had previous contact with the 25-year-old suspect. But a US law enforcement official with knowledge of the case said Minassian was known to authorities.

Clue emerges from Facebook

Investigators found a Facebook account they believe belongs to Minassian, CNN law enforcement analyst Josh Campbell said.

A message posted on the account earlier Monday read: "All hail the Supreme Gentleman Elliot Rodger!"

Campbell said investigators believe the post refers to the man who killed six and injured 14 in a drive-by shooting and vehicle ramming attack near the University of California Santa Barbara campus in 2014. Rodger later died from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Investigators said Rodger was motivated to carry out his attack by a personal grievance related to his immersion in the extremist ideological subculture of men's rights activists, who believe women don't actually want gender equality and have been brainwashed by feminist propaganda.

A mile-long scene of carnage

Authorities said Minassian left a trail of destruction nearly a mile long, north of midtown Toronto.

"Based on witness accounts, we have a vehicle that started north on Yonge Street from Finch (Avenue) and drove southbound at some point in times on sidewalks, at some point in times driving southbound in northbound lanes," Saunders said, adding that it appeared to be a deliberate act.

DawaNet, a Canadian Muslim organization, started a GoFundMe page aiming to raise $1 million for the victims and their families. By Tuesday afternoon, the fund had raised more than $55,000.

'Scene from a war zone'

Diego DeMatos was one of the good Samaritans who tried to save victims.

DeMatos said he was driving north on Yonge when he saw the van driving fast southbound. He said he saw the van hit a man and a woman.

"Blood started gushing out of his head, and she was bleeding really badly, too," DeMatos told CNN.

At first, he thought the collision was a hit-and-run. But then he noticed four to five victims on the ground as he drove a few meters further.

DeMatos said he stopped to help another victim, who was already being aided by someone.

"I went over to try to perform CPR on him. ... He died in our arms," DeMatos said.

"It was like a scene from a war zone. There was garbage cans everywhere, broken bus shelters and mailboxes on the ground."

A dramatic arrest

Cell phone video obtained by CNN partner CTV appears to show a tense standoff with a suspect after the incident. Police have not said whether the person in the video was Minassian.

The footage appears to show a man standing in front of a white van with a damaged front bumper. The man is yelling and extending one arm, pointing an object at an officer standing behind a black car.

The officer has his weapon drawn and pointed at the man. The officer slowly steps toward him and yells "Get down, get down!"

Later in the video, the man is seen on the ground and the officer is cuffing his hands behind him; the object can be seen lying on the ground off to the side.

As for whether the suspect had a weapon, "There's nothing that indicates he has a gun," Saunders said.

Trudeau offered his condolences to the families of the victims. He thanked first responders, who he said "faced danger without hesitation, and their efforts no doubt saved lives and prevented further injuries."

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/24/ameri...ion/index.html
    Last edited by UN talkz; 24th April 2018 at 23:25.

Meri Barbaadiyan Durust Magar...
    Too Bata Kya Tujhe Sawaab Mila...

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    479 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    My sister was downtown yesterday, my mom was really scared but finally calmed down once she talked to her.

It's crazy how your life can end in a split second when you wouldn't even be expecting it.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1091 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Reads to me like an attempt at suicide by cop.

Wish he hadn’t taken all those people first.

Well done Canadian Police for bringing him in alive. Now he must face the realisation of what he did.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Reads to me like an attempt at suicide by cop.

Wish he hadn’t taken all those people first.

Well done Canadian Police for bringing him in alive. Now he must face the realisation of what he did.
    He was inspired by Elliot Rodger, apparently he was an "incel" and was obsessed with the "manosphere/redpill" community.

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 90MPH View Post

RIP to the victims.
    The Canadian Middle Eastern immigrant policy may yet be wrong - this one incident shouldn't be the final judgement one way or other.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1091 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakistanian View Post
    He was inspired by Elliot Rodger, apparently he was an "incel" and was obsessed with the "manosphere/redpill" community.
    New to me. Can you elucidate?

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1091 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    New to me. Can you elucidate?
    Oh, I see.

How very sad.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    529 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Toronto van attack: Minassian guilty of killing 10 people

A Canadian man who killed 10 people by ploughing a van into pedestrians in Toronto has been found guilty on all 26 charges related to the 2018 attack.

Alek Minassian had admitted the attack, but his lawyers argued he was not criminally responsible due to his autism spectrum disorder.

Justice Anne Malloy has dismissed this claim, saying the attack was the "act of a reasoning mind".

Minassian faced 10 charges of murder and 16 charges of attempted murder.

Throughout the ruling, Justice Malloy refused to name the attacker, 28, referring to him instead as John Doe, and said she would not give him the notoriety "he sought from the start".

Ms Malloy accepted his diagnosis of autism spectrum disorder (ASD), but ruled that he was capable of understanding his actions on April 2018 were both legally and morally wrong.

At trial, defence lawyer Boris Bytensky said ASD had left his client without the ability to develop empathy, saying in closing arguments the attacker had no conception of the damage his actions caused.

On Wednesday, Justice Malloy rejected this line of argument.

"Lack of empathy for the suffering of victims, even an incapacity to empathise for whatever reason, does not constitute a defence," she said.

Minassian rented the van some three weeks before he used it as a weapon on a major Toronto street. He told investigators he had set out to kill as many people as possible and that he drew inspiration from the misogynistic "incel" movement of mostly online groups of young men who blame their lack of sexual activity on women.

Asked by investigators how he felt about the harm he had caused, the attacker replied: "I feel like I accomplished my mission".

Witnesses described seeing a white van mount the pavement on Toronto's busy Yonge Street on 23 April 2018 and run down pedestrians. Victims of the attack ranged in age from 22 to 94.

Delivering the verdict on Wednesday, Justice Malloy said the killer had selected the van with a particular goal in mind - picking a vehicle small enough to be mobile, but large enough to inflict "maximum damage".

Minassian was arrested shortly after crashing the van near the scene of the attack.

His victims included 80-year-old grandmother Dorothy Sewell, 45-year-old single mother Renuka Amarasinghe and Ji Hun Kim, 22, a student from South Korea.
    Source: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-56269095.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Venue
    Alberta
    Runs
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweep_shot View Post
    Funny it took so long. Any other person of different race in his place would've received this sentence in 6 months.