Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

"Pakistan has a better bowling attack than England" : Mohammad Zahid

In his latest blog for PakPassion.net, Mohammad Zahid writes about the challenges that lie ahead for Pakistan batsmen in the upcoming Test series against Ireland and England, Fawad Alam's exclusion from the touring squad, how Mickey Arthur has instilled unity into the Pakistan side and why James Anderson's bowling skills at home could make life a misery for the Pakistani batsmen.

Damp conditions in England will be a supreme test for Pakistan batsmen

So, Pakistan are back in England again as they prepare for the only Test against Ireland and then a 2-match series against England. To be honest, I do not expect much of a challenge for Sarfaraz Ahmed and Co. in the match against Ireland. In Limited Overs formats, Ireland could have posed a threat for Pakistan, but I donít see any concern in Tests. Of course, the pressure will always be on Pakistan when they play an inexperienced opponent like Ireland as the home side will have nothing to lose and all to gain from any positives in this match. Add to that the prevailing weather conditions in that area and that could also tilt things in Irelandís favour.

All said and done, the real test and one that will be very interesting to watch will be the Test series between England and Pakistan. To start with, the conditions in England are still very damp and as such the pitches will be moist, offering little in terms of pace but a lot more in sideways movement. This will be a huge test for Pakistanís inexperienced batting line-up but to be fair to them, as we have seen in the past, even experienced players from the sub-continent have struggled in such conditions so we really shouldn't be too harsh on our young side.

Pakistan bowling will give them an edge against England

The batting line-up that Pakistan have chosen for this series really has just a few names that can be considered as experienced. Apart from Azhar Ali, Asad Shafiq and Sarfaraz Ahmed, the rest of the batters are still new to Test cricket. Babar Azam has had great success in Limited Overs cricket, but he also needs to do the same in Tests and I also have high hopes of Fakhar Zaman who has shown a lot of promise but whether he can replicate his form from the shorter formats of the game in Tests is yet to be seen. Regardless of our issues with batting, where Pakistan have a definite advantage and where they can take on England with ease is in the bowling department. Pakistan has a better bowling attack than England and Pakistan's bowling will give them an edge in this series.

We all know what Mohammad Amir is capable of, but he will need to put in some special performances and deliver for Pakistan in this series. But amongst the other bowlers chosen for this series, I feel that Hasan Aliís impact will be limited as he is a bowler who is good on drier pitches. Mohammad Abbas, on the other hand, is more likely to trouble batsmen on English pitches, whilst Rahat Ali could also be a handful too. I also have high hopes from the bowling of Faheem Ashraf who could well play in the side as an all-rounder. Yasir Shah will also be missed in this series but I feel that this is a great opportunity for Shadab Khan to prove his importance in the longer format of the game, although bowling conditions in early summer in England may not be the most ideal for a spin bowler.

Pakistan should exploit weaknesses in England's batting

Whilst we may rightly be worried about our own batting strength, we must not also overlook the fact that Englandís batting is not that strong either and our bowlers could easily trouble them in the upcoming series. I am expecting our bowlers to play with some spirit and come hard at the opposition, take the game to England and if we do that, we could come out on top in this series.

Not being selected for tour of England could well turn out to be a blessing in disguise for Fawad Alam

Fawad Alamís exclusion from the Pakistan Test side seems to have caused a great commotion. There appears to be an endless debate regarding the merits of his suitability for the national side which seems to indicate that Fawadís absence could affect the outcome of the upcoming series. I am aware that the popular opinion seems to favour his inclusion based upon his experience and performances in domestic cricket. I also know Fawad on a personal level very well and recognise the fact that he has been on the scene for a long time, but I have always had my reservations about his technique. Based on that, I would agree with the selectors that a youngster be preferred over Fawad for this tour and be given a chance to prove himself.

But Fawad should not give up as his career has some way to go. There is no denying the depth of his experience and the fact that Pakistan lacks some battle-hardened names in its batting order, and even when we talk of technique we know that batsmen like Viv Richards, Javed Miandad and Younis Khan were not exactly great examples of having ideal batting techniques. We also know that this tour is likely to be tough for batsmen. If Fawad had been chosen for this tour and then failed, his chances of future selection would be all but gone. In a way, not being selected for the tour of England could well turn out to be a blessing in disguise for him and I do believe his chance to once again represent Pakistan will come at a later date.

Mickey Arthur should be credited for unifying Pakistanís cricket team

I am sure Mickey knows that as Head Coach of Pakistan, there will be tremendous pressure on him to succeed in all formats of the game. As we have seen recently in the media, there is no let-up on the pressure on him as people tend to remember failures more than successes. But we must remember that Mickey has a very tough task at hand and that is to Coach a difficult side such as Pakistan. As history has shown, Pakistan sides have been notoriously tough to manage as there can be all sorts of regional divisions in the side and personal likes and dislikes can also cause strife amongst players. We may have won or lost games in his tenure but if there is one overriding achievement that Mickey Arthur has so far to show for his time with Pakistan, that is the incredible unity which the team now possesses. They seem to me to be marching to the same tune and are united under Pakistanís banner. Pakistan's side of today plays like a team instead of a disparate bunch of talented players. If you look at Bangladesh, you will see that whilst they lose games, they show a tremendous amount of team spirit which makes a huge difference. This is the same type of unity we are seeing in the Pakistan side now.

The other important aspect is that he has taken decisions for the betterment of Pakistan cricket and has not been influenced by what popular opinion may demand. For example, he has removed Umar Akmal from the side despite the furore by many and replaced him with able, energetic younger players which is a great sign for the future of Pakistan cricket. His focus is to help Pakistan progress and he does not worry about Ďbig namesí of Pakistan cricket being sidelined for the benefit of the team. The upcoming series against England will be a tough one and it may not end to many peopleís liking, but no one should doubt the positives that Mickey Arthur has brought to Pakistan cricket.

James Anderson can easily make life a misery for all visiting batsmen

James Anderson may not bowl at express pace these days but make no mistake that in English conditions he will make life a misery for all visiting batsmen. Anderson is a master of his craft and an expert in using home conditions as his statistics clearly indicate. Pakistanís batting order may have some talent in it, but they are likely to struggle against James Anderson as well as Stuart Broad in my view. There is some hope from the likes of Azhar Ali and Asad Shafiq to weather this storm, but Babar Azam will really need to prove himself here. Many who watched Fakhar Zaman bat during the Champions Trophy last summer would have been heartened by his performances in England but letís not forget that the tournament was played in late summer and also the ODI pitches are suited to batsmen. All in all, this is a great opportunity for young batsmen like Fakhar to prove themselves but whether the likes of James Anderson and Stuart Broad will allow them that luxury will become evident in a few weeksí time.

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1645 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    Interesting take on Fawad Alam and I agree about blessing in disguise part.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    England probably have a better batting side. Question is how well do Pak bat and England bowl.

PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My main worry is Anderson and Broad destroying our top order under cloudy conditions

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Venue
    Jeddah
    Runs
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All senior players have done nothing today

Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Don't see us ascending from 7th/6th in the near future. 5-0 in England and South Africa awaits us, we will be lucky to even draw one match.

Debut
    Apr 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    some one says England probably have a better batting side but better bowling attack can cover it in best way

Debut
    Mar 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So Amir, Hasan and Rahat > Anderson and Broad in England?

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1429 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Big call to say Pakistan's pacers are better than England's.

Broad and Anderson this time of year in England will be a handful for a very inexperienced batting line-up.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    341 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    In English conditions, England attack is stronger.

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol Anderson & Broad wipe the floor clean with nearly 1000 wickets between them compared to 37 avg. legend Rahat, 32 avg. Amir and newbies in Abbas & Hasan. Pump the brakes Zahid!

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL on how earth PAK has the better bowling attack?

Anderson and Broad are the BEST in English conditions. Pak is coming with bowlers who apart from Amir hardly have any experience.

This Pak attack is not even close to ENG.

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lets see
    Amir: Below average test bowler
    Hasan: just made his (decent) debut
    Abbas: same as Hasan
    Rahat: Nothing impressive at all
    Faheem: Hasn't played a single test
    Shadab: Very poor debut (in pitches that were suppose to help him)
    There isn't much to say about this bowling attack because it's very inexperience. They haven't done anything. Players that are experienced (Amir, Rahat) less said about them the better.
    While Eng has proven test bowlers-who are very impressive in ENG.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1645 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkrai View Post
    lets see
    Amir: Below average test bowler
    Hasan: just made his (decent) debut
    Abbas: same as Hasan
    Rahat: Nothing impressive at all
    Faheem: Hasn't played a single test
    Shadab: Very poor debut (in pitches that were suppose to help him)
    There isn't much to say about this bowling attack because it's very inexperience. They haven't done anything. Players that are experienced (Amir, Rahat) less said about them the better.
    While Eng has proven test bowlers-who are very impressive in ENG.
    Fact is Pak bowlers will never get better conditions to bowl in and they have some talent so Zahid not entirely wrong.

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Fact is Pak bowlers will never get better conditions to bowl in and they have some talent so Zahid not entirely wrong.
    "Pakistan has a better bowling attack than England and Pakistan's bowling will give them an edge in this series"

Which part is he not wrong?

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    May be better than England but not better than Kent 2nd XI.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Venue
    A Hong Kong Pond
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He's having a laugh or should have gone to SpecSavers.

I wouldn't pick Amir. Very poor when he doesn't swing it. I have hardly seen him swing the red ball since his return.

Abbas could be dangerous in English conditions but at the very least gives the team control. Rahat, Hasan, Abbas & Shadab would be my 4.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4608 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Utter nonsense by Zahid. Pakistan's bowling lineup is deeply mediocre.

Debut
    Jul 2009
    Venue
    Islamabad
    Runs
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Pakistan bowling has serious issues.

Amir : absolute pathetic test bowler
    Abbas: okish
    Rahat: pathetic bowler
    Shadab: not a test class spinner
    Faheem: not a test level bowler

Comparing this to Anderson broad and stokes is ridiculous
    Last edited by AssassinatedDevil; 23rd May 2018 at 09:21.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1645 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hur rizvi View Post
    Pakistan bowling has serious issues.

Amir : absolute pathetic test bowler
    Abbas: okish
    Rahat: pathetic bowler
    Shadab: not a test class spinner
    Fathom: not a test level bowler

Comparing this to Anderson broad and stokes is ridiculous
    Lot of assumptions here; let series begin first

Debut
    Jul 2009
    Venue
    Islamabad
    Runs
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Lot of assumptions here; let series begin first
    No assumptions. Statistical facts

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1645 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    "pathetic" is NOT a statistical fact.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Struggling to dismiss Ireland huh ?

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4608 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    There is no cure for delusion.

Debut
    Apr 2018
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From Sarfraz Nawaz, Aamir Sohail, Abdul Razzaq and now Zahid - keeping the tradition of ex Pakistan player delusions.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    222 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    One bad bowler can ruin a bowling line up. No point in having 2-3 good bowlers when 2 other bowlers just release pressure and are just barely making up the numbers

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1645 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    One bad bowler can ruin a bowling line up. No point in having 2-3 good bowlers when 2 other bowlers just release pressure and are just barely making up the numbers
    Rahat wont play am sure - if that is your point.

Debut
    May 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In English conditions, England attack is stronger.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    687 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Glorious sunshine in southern England....

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rahat wont play am sure - if that is your point.
    He is in possible 11 though.

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First time I've seen someone call their own non-quantitative analysis as "statistical facts". Nothing that you said has stats/numbers nor are those facts.

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nor is there for cynicism, pessimism, suspicion, scepticism, world-weariness amongst others.

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As usual ..... too much Chest Thumping before the event takes place !!!!

Debut
    Jul 2009
    Venue
    Islamabad
    Runs
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AssassinatedDevil View Post
    First time I've seen someone call their own non-quantitative analysis as "statistical facts". Nothing that you said has stats/numbers nor are those facts.
    Lol other than Abbas what are stats of Pakistan fast bowlers?

Pretty average to be honest. I donít have time to make spreadsheets of comparison but other than Abbas all have been statistically below par specially Amir who has only performed in 2 matches since his return last match and 1 match against windies

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1429 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Well bowling England out for 184 at Lord's is a good start isn't it.

Debut
    Mar 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Very good start from Pakistan.

Day 1 - Pakistan > England

Debut
    Apr 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anderson is highly overrated. He's british, thats why he gets exalted for average performances. I still remember during pakistan's last tour of england, he pouted like a petulant child because the pitches were not swinging. Complete zero in non swinging conditions, barring one UAE tour where our average batting made him look good.

Broad at least is an all conditions bowler because of his pace and seam. Still only slightly above average, nothing to rave about. Most teams would pick be happy to have him.

Pakistan proving that their pace attack is much better. like the champions trophy, we have the ingredients, we just need to get rid of the leeches in our side such. Rahat, hafeez, wahab, etc...

Azher once again showing he is probably one of the best opening test batsman in the world. He's done his job. Seen out the day. More important than his runs is his ability to take the shine off the ball and to hold one end. He does his job time and again thanklessly from our stupid public. HE also deserves his spot in ODI squad, although that may be an unpopular opinion. We don't have sehwag or hayden or warner in pakistan. He is the best man for the job. Excellent, classy player. Mickey was right in saying that he is a big match player, excellent temperament.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1645 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    Well bowling England out for 184 at Lord's is a good start isn't it.
    A few people with eggs on their faces now I imagine.

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Zahid was spot on !

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Venue
    Watford, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bro shall I wipe that egg splattered on your face ?

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Venue
    Watford, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And there is no cure for your constant wrist slitting.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there a cure for extreme pessimism, extreme negativity and an inferiority complex ? 😀

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1645 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 90MPH View Post
    Bro shall I wipe that egg splattered on your face ?
    Think it will sink in soon.

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Venue
    Jeddah
    Runs
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Zahid was absolutely spot on re his comments about pak bowling

Don't see us ascending from 7th/6th in the near future. 5-0 in England and South Africa awaits us, we will be lucky to even draw one match.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well. Our bowlers certainly done better than theirs

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    More utter nonsense by you. Again quite mistakenly thinking you know more than a former international fast bowler, who is also a very good analyst of the game.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Indeed. Although there may be a cure fore the Dunning-Kruger phenomenon, which you are clearly a victim of. Perhaps you just require some insight.

Debut
    Dec 2014
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK- Thank goodness that pak batters stood up otherwise this would not be so clear!

If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got #improve

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1429 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Zahid is a very astute analyst. He knows the game very well.

He is someone who doesn't mind saying it how it is and his blogs over the years have been hard-hitting and interest. If it needs saying, Zahid will say it.

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Deeply mediocre bowling line up leads Pakistan to a fluke win!

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Broken clock accuracy.

Debut
    Apr 2018
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ArsenalFC View Post
    From Sarfraz Nawaz, Aamir Sohail, Abdul Razzaq and now Zahid - keeping the tradition of ex Pakistan player delusions.
    Whether you agree or disagree with Zahid, it isn't as far fetched as I first thought and having listened to him he's nothing like the trio. He's actually a decent reader of the game.

Debut
    May 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ha Ha Ha. T20 bowling attack in Test cricket. There was no genuine strike bowler like Sohail Khan who made was the real deal last time around. Abbas is poor man's Asif. Shadad, Faheem and Hassan Ali need more exposure in ODIs first and prove they are capable by taking 5wicket hauls or scoring centuries. Straight from T20s/PSL into test cricket - selection was laughable. Azhar Ali should bat at 4 - he is our best player. The only good think out of this series was that England messed up in the first match and this was a 2 match test series.