Jan 2011
    Venue
    New Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    258 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Why is there no fight for best fielder in world cricket these days?

It is deoressing.

Your bhaijaan grew up seeing Jonty, Ponting, Collingwood, Vincent, Gibbs, Kaif all trying to out do each other in being the best fielders in the world.

In today's world cricket I feel no one is motivated enough to be counted as the best in the world in high flying catches or run outs.

Fielding competition is at its lowest since 2000s

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4608 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Fielding standards have improved immensely over the last decade or so. As a result, the exceptional fielders don't stand out as much as the ones in the previous eras. Nowadays, apart from a few, most players are quality fielders.

For example, Jonty Rhodes was incredible, but he was simply ahead of his time. The fielding standards in the 90's were poor, especially when it comes to athleticism (they were many great catchers, but not many great athletes). Hence, he really stood out.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    New Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    258 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Fielding standards have improved immensely over the last decade or so. As a result, the exceptional fielders don't stand out as much as the ones in the previous eras. Nowadays, apart from a few, most players are quality fielders.

For example, Jonty Rhodes was incredible, but he was simply ahead of his time. The fielding standards in the 90's were poor, especially when it comes to athleticism (they were many great catchers, but not many great athletes). Hence, he really stood out.
    Little brother the names Bhaijaan mentioned would all stand out today as well. I agree the overall standards are better now but the exceptional fielders aren't anywhere of the standard of Jonty, Collingwood.

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freelance_cricketer View Post
    Little brother the names Bhaijaan mentioned would all stand out today as well. I agree the overall standards are better now but the exceptional fielders aren't anywhere of the standard of Jonty, Collingwood.
    Quality fielders in Pak include:

Shahzad
    Shadab
    Fawad
    Anwar
    Yasir

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zain7077 View Post
    Quality fielders in Pak include:

Shahzad
    Shadab
    Fawad
    Anwar
    Yasir
    Rizwan too

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4608 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Yes, but not to the same extent. Someone like du Plessis would have been as popular as Rhodes had he played in the 90's. Similarly, the likes of Stokes, Raina, Pandya, de Villiers, Guptill, Maxwell, Warner, Rahane, Boult etc. are as good as any of those names of the past.

The reason why they are less known for this fielding is because the overall standards have improved considerably.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    New Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    258 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes, but not to the same extent. Someone like du Plessis would have been as popular as Rhodes had he played in the 90's. Similarly, the likes of Stokes, Raina, Pandya, de Villiers, Guptill, Maxwell, Warner, Rahane, Boult etc. are as good as any of those names of the past.

The reason why they are less known for this fielding is because the overall standards have improved considerably.
    No they are not.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Sweden
    Runs
    Mentioned
    444 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It is deoressing.

Your bhaijaan grew up seeing Jonty, Ponting, Collingwood, Vincent, Gibbs, Kaif all trying to out do each other in being the best fielders in the world.

In today's world cricket I feel no one is motivated enough to be counted as the best in the world in high flying catches or run outs.

Fielding competition is at its lowest since 2000s
    Probably the best fielder I've ever seen was Andrew Symonds as he was the total and complete package. Strong arm, accurate aim, super speed, and excellent ability to intercept.

The TV broadcasters need to focus more on fielding instead of showing just replays of sixes and bat speed and ball speed off the bat etc. If the broadcasters focus more on the sprint speed of fielders chasing, area covered during the dive, response to take the catch, real time fielding ability then fielders would actually get their moment in the sun too.

it's written. an akmal will never be a hero.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    New Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    258 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoUgandaCranes View Post
    Probably the best fielder I've ever seen was Andrew Symonds as he was the total and complete package. Strong arm, accurate aim, super speed, and excellent ability to intercept.

The TV broadcasters need to focus more on fielding instead of showing just replays of sixes and bat speed and ball speed off the bat etc. If the broadcasters focus more on the sprint speed of fielders chasing, area covered during the dive, response to take the catch, real time fielding ability then fielders would actually get their moment in the sun too.
    Great point bro.

Ultimately it's all about recognition. If fielders don't get The attention of broadcasters they have no motivation to be spectacular rather than be just good enough to not be counted as bad fielders. Back in the day people were not happy with just being good fielders. They wanted to be fielding legends. Not anymore.

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because Shadab Khan would win the contest.

Debut
    Apr 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is simply because like @Mamoon mentioned above due to the fact that cricket teams have improved a lot in terms of fielding standards. The improvement has been so immense that even teams like India and Pakistan have really good fielders now.

Debut
    Apr 2018
    Venue
    Pune Maharashtra
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    It is simply because like @Mamoon mentioned above due to the fact that cricket teams have improved a lot in terms of fielding standards. The improvement has been so immense that even teams like India and Pakistan have really good fielders now.
    Pakistan fielding hv improved a bit jus recently while India doing great on field since 2000 with the arrival of players like yuvi kaif raina karthik sharma

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would Shadab Khan Contend for the best fielder in world cricket?

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First of all , there are no foolproof statistics to measure fielding performance. So it all boils down to subjective claims. Some claim Jhonty Rhodes as the best fielder ever . He was hyped massively. But i always felt Ricky ponting was better than him. Same with Yuvraj. He was more spectacular than good. He would make normal catches look spectacular but he was not that great fielder.

Debut
    Mar 2018
    Venue
    Vancouver, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Overall standards have improved to the extent that fantastic catches in the past are considered relatively regulation nowadays. I remember when Kanitkar took a catch on the boundary against us to dismiss Inzi, it was called one of the greatest catches. But that's pretty standard nowadays. You see catches like that every IPL match for one.

Unpopular opinion, but Jonty Rhodes wouldn't be Jonty Rhodes today. He'd just be another one of the top fielders. Du Plessis, ABD, Bavuma (who's unbelievable in fact), Shadab, Warner, Smith, Jadeja, Raina, Williamson.etc So many wonderful fielders nowadays.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    341 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There is no stats to measure fielders. But also there is a lot of good fielders so it's difficult to pick 1.

Debut
    Apr 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peshwa View Post
    Pakistan fielding hv improved a bit jus recently while India doing great on field since 2000 with the arrival of players like yuvi kaif raina karthik sharma
    Indian fielders were called bunch of donkeys by Naseer Hussain in 2011.

Debut
    Feb 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Naseer Hussain also considers Sachin and Kohli as one of all time greatest batsmen but many Pak fans argue against it. I would not take someone's subjective opinion into great consideration.

Debut
    Apr 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kuskash View Post
    Naseer Hussain also considers Sachin and Kohli as one of all time greatest batsmen but many Pak fans argue against it. I would not take someone's subjective opinion into great consideration.
    I do not know where you conducted that survey and reached that conclusion. As far as i am concerned my fellow pakistanis rate Kohli and Sachin both and i am sure my sample size is bigger than yours.

Naseer hussain is not just a someone, indian fielding was atrocious in 2011.

Debut
    Feb 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do not know where you conducted that survey and reached that conclusion. As far as i am concerned my fellow pakistanis rate Kohli and Sachin both and i am sure my sample size is bigger than yours.

Naseer hussain is not just a someone, indian fielding was atrocious in 2011.
    I agree bro. Unfortunately I thought of Bilal kind of posters. Pardon me for my narrow vision

Debut
    May 2015
    Venue
    The Den of RCB
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He said Just 1 or 2 which included Parthiv Patel and Praveen Kumar, and most Indians would agree with that too

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jonty Rhodes would be just another great fielder today. That's why there's no competition. Too many great fielders out there who're as good as each other.
    Last edited by Kroll; 6th May 2018 at 19:18.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    J. Rhodes is a great outfielder.

Ponting was the best fielder. Symonds a close second.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    can anyone right down one name from each test playing nation (the best fielders) players playing currently ?

I would name each as mentioned below:

Australia ----- David Warner
    South Africa -- AB Deviliers
    Newzeland --- Guptil ?
    Srilanka ----- Chandimal ?
    Bangladesh --- Nasir Hossain ?
    Westindies ---- Dwayene Bravo
    Zimbabwe ---- Ervine / Sikandar ?
    England ------ Jordan / Morgan
    India --------- Raina / Pandya
    Pakistan ----- Shadab / any other youngster ?

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanzcool View Post
    He said Just 1 or 2 which included Parthiv Patel and Praveen Kumar, and most Indians would agree with that too
    He was talking about the test team which had all oldies and was absolutely right in his assesment.Current Indian LOI squad has pretty good fielding standard.In Tests, their slip catching is horrible though.

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fluke View Post
    can anyone right down one name from each test playing nation (the best fielders) players playing currently ?

I would name each as mentioned below:

Australia ----- David Warner
    South Africa -- AB Deviliers
    Newzeland --- Guptil ?
    Srilanka ----- Chandimal ?
    Bangladesh --- Nasir Hossain ?
    Westindies ---- Dwayene Bravo
    Zimbabwe ---- Ervine / Sikandar ?
    England ------ Jordan / Morgan
    India --------- Raina / Pandya
    Pakistan ----- Shadab / any other youngster ?
    From Pakistan, I have seen Rizwan fielding pretty good.For India, I would add Jadeja and Rahane also to the list.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    418 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    It's between AB, Du Plessis, Warner and Jordan. You can place them anywhere in the field and they'll be among the best in that position.

A skilled hawk conceals its talons.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Venue
    earth between north pole and south pole
    Runs
    Mentioned
    326 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ravindra jadeja is one of the best going around. AB is another one. Shadab has proved himself too. Not much competition in fielding.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WengerOut View Post
    First of all , there are no foolproof statistics to measure fielding performance. So it all boils down to subjective claims. Some claim Jhonty Rhodes as the best fielder ever . He was hyped massively. But i always felt Ricky ponting was better than him. Same with Yuvraj. He was more spectacular than good. He would make normal catches look spectacular but he was not that great fielder.
    Please..there is no basis to this statement. He is better than any fielder today..

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    New Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    258 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm deeply offended and shocked at the delusional comments here about the legendary Jonty Rhodes being just another guy in today's cricket. Give me a god damn bhaijaan freaking break there's never been a more electrifying fielder than Jonty inside the ring. Nobody today or in last 10 years has been in the same galaxy as Jonty in fact. His catching, diving, throwing was out of this world.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    New Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    258 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Collingwood and Lou Vincent were pretty phenomenal as well. Jonty is the golden standard however. He defines fielding in cricket. He was the one who brought emphasis to fielding in modern cricket. Before him nobody really there themselves that desperately at the ball. Jonty made it a fashion.
    Last edited by freelance_cricketer; 7th May 2018 at 12:02.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Currently Pandya and Jadeja are 2 of the best fielders in the world. AB is incredible and probably the best of all.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    869 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Jonty with modern day training might have been an even scarier monster.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Jonty will be still the best fielder today if he was playing right now. He stood out due to fielding standards were not great, but he was simply too good. If I recall he won MOM based on his fielding. That was way out of line when it comes to how MOM are judged.

"If this happens I will swim across the Charles River! In winter!" -- OZGOD on NZ batting 6 sessions

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by karthikc View Post
    Please..there is no basis to this statement. He is better than any fielder today..
    What did I say wrong?

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Destroyer View Post
    It's between AB, Du Plessis, Warner and Jordan. You can place them anywhere in the field and they'll be among the best in that position.
    Stokes is a much better all-round fielder than Jordan from an English point of view.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    418 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HitWicket View Post
    Stokes is a much better all-round fielder than Jordan from an English point of view.
    How?

A skilled hawk conceals its talons.

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by troodon View Post
    Currently Pandya and Jadeja are 2 of the best fielders in the world. AB is incredible and probably the best of all.
    What about Smith . He takes screamers

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Hermanus, South Africa
    Runs
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Excellent catch by AB tonight.

Rough Top 3: AB, Faf and Warner.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Hermanus, South Africa
    Runs
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandiasza View Post
    Excellent catch by AB tonight.

Rough Top 3: AB, Faf and Warner.
    Name:  ab2.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  344.1 KB

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    272 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Umm Shadab Khan is the best in the world. It's quite clear tbh. He is electric.

The other best fielders are Jason Roy and David Miller.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    914 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    ABD is also a pretty good wicket-keeper and that puts him ahead of the rest.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ABD is a gun cricketer in all-forms of the game.

Gun player in test, odi and T20s as well. A massive box-office hit as well unlike other Saffers.

Debut
    Mar 2009
    Venue
    UK England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

100% Agreed. Think about the catches we see now days whether close to the bat or something crazy near the ropes.

The way the ball is stopped a lot of the times. The fielding quality overall has improved and there are so many exceptional fielders that they don’t stand out as much anymore