Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

"Waqar Younis told me 'Dekhta hoon mein aage kaun tumhay khilaye ga'" : Umar Akmal

Umar Akmal talking on the sidelines of the Pakistan Cup final after being dismissed for 1:

"The team gave me a role, to go and play my natural game"

"In the previous match, we had to chase the match in around 20 overs and I got a start there and we're playing the final because of that"

"Everyone has bad patches but if you keep up the hard work, you can get over it"

"As far as wicket-keeping goes, I didn't want to do it in Test matches. But in ODIs and T20Is, I kept for 3-4 years"

"Waqar Younis told me to also do wicket-keeping in Test matches but I refused because we had upcoming series in UAE where Misbah bhai played 3 spinners and one pacer and keeping would seriously affect my batting I said please don't make me do that, so his exact words were 'Dekhta hoon phir mein aage cricket kaun tumhay khilaye ga' (Let me see who lets you play Test cricket again after this). I said Vicky bhai, please don't say this, I want to play cricket for Pakistan. I am honest and that's why I can't do this, I can do it for the team in ODIs and T20Is"

"Here also the coach and captain said that if I play as a wk/batsman, we will have more options"

"I have high hopes. I accept that I've had a couple of poor seasons in domestic cricket but before that I performed well in FC, one-day and T20. Every person goes through bad patches and I request my fans and commentators who support me to keep that up, I just need their support"
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 6th May 2018 at 13:51.

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    pcb should ban this idiot from domestic as well as psl.

Debut
    Feb 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He needs some serious sessions of self introspection. Not denying that there are external factors that affect one's performance but at the end of the day one has to figure out ways to excel, and for that you need to be honest with yourself, identify your own mistakes and work hard.

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lmao
    that last sentence
    requesting fans and COMMENTATORS to support

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    In your house
    Runs
    Mentioned
    223 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A video of his interview.

Last edited by Abdullah719; 6th May 2018 at 14:37.

Debut
    Feb 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be fair to him, he was correct. He was not a Test standard keeper.

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should keep his head down and focus on his game.

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AFM View Post
    Yes that would require one to believe the rest of what he said

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arham_PakFan View Post
    Should keep his head down and focus on his game.
    He is not coming back

Debut
    Apr 2018
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like everyone else we don't want to see Umar Akmal back in the team but knowing that Waqar was a clueless tactician I know who I would rather believe here.

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bhai baate karne sai kuch nahi hoga.
    Work hard and make yourself count on the field.

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Rose View Post
    He is not coming back
    I hope he doesn't.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    why the heck does Media gives so much importance to Akmal? What has he exactly done to get so much coverage from media? Why cant PCB act tougher against players who openly cause conflicts between players and/or coaches. I dont think any other board would tolerate such nonsense.

Debut
    Nov 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Waqar isn't a coach, Arthur is, and, he sent you back because despite having great talent you lack cognitive function related to cricket and reality of the situation.

You aren't in team because of your work ethics and your antics in dressing room.

You can blame Waqar all you want or anyone else but the responsibility of your demise solely lies on yourself.

It is obvious that you are no longer relevant for Pakistani team and the only way you can stay relevant in your head is by blaming everyone else but yourself for your own downfall. And media will give you 2 mins to speak to because it sells.

I wish and hope you are never selected for Pakistani cricket team.
    Last edited by www787; 6th May 2018 at 15:09.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well keeping in tests would have kept him in the team so he should have done it imo.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Chandni Chowk, Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Waqar, Bhaijaan will never forgive you for ruining the career of a great talent. Umar has all the gifts in the world to excel in world cricket and become one of the best in the world. Only thing he missed was good mentors and support staff. You let him down. You let Pakistan down.

Never ruin the career of another young talent again. Please consider this a warning. Thanks. Bhaijaan.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1399 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Haan to aise khelega to kaun khilayega?

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1721 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freelance_cricketer View Post
    Waqar, Bhaijaan will never forgive you for ruining the career of a great talent. Umar has all the gifts in the world to excel in world cricket and become one of the best in the world. Only thing he missed was good mentors and support staff. You let him down. You let Pakistan down.

Never ruin the career of another young talent again. Please consider this a warning. Thanks. Bhaijaan.
    I am never sure if you are serious about these things.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Wellness Centre
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1017 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hahaha. Good stuff from the W.

Gangster rap made me do it.

Debut
    Aug 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by www787 View Post
    Waqar isn't a coach, Arthur is, and, he sent you back because despite having great talent you lack cognitive function related to cricket and reality of the situation.

You aren't in team because of your work ethics and your antics in dressing room.

You can blame Waqar all you want or anyone else but the responsibility of your demise solely lies on yourself.

It is obvious that you are no longer relevant for Pakistani team and the only way you can stay relevant in your head is by blaming everyone else but yourself for your own downfall. And media will give you 2 mins to speak to because it sells.

I wish and hope you are never selected for Pakistani cricket team.
    It’s clear that he has mental issues, the type of insecurities and victim complex he has is quite common in the Pakistani society - a lot of the Pakistani politicians, athletes and actors talk the same way on tv.

In contrast, his brother is still scoring quite heavily and generally speaks sensibly

I’m actually surprised Umar even admitted to having bad domestic seasons...

Debut
    Mar 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Waqar knew all along that Umar was no good, should have listened to him earlier.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Umar got chances after Mickey took charge. He just failed. There are better and more deserving players than him also. So Umar should be nowhere around the national team.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1712 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    There is a grain of truth in this.

Early Umar Akmal was very similar to early Dave Warner: two semi-educated fools with a gift for batting.

One of them has been groomed and cultivated and made a good career before his personality flaws destroyed him.

Australia got 15,000 International runs out of their Umar Akmal.

Pakistan punished theirs a lot, but did that improve him?

Iím a psychiatrist. Iím standing by a poster presentation this very minute at the American Psychiatric Association Annual meeting in New York.

And I can tell you, punishing gifted Mavericks like these two or Maradona or Gazza or any other under-educated big-headed sportsman does not make them conform.

They need bosses like Harry Redknapp who will put an arm around them, win their trust and earn a position where the maverick is happy to listen to them.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Chandni Chowk, Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Imran Farhat
    Shoaib Malik
    Fawad Alam
    Umar Akmal
    Zulfiqar Haider

It is no secret I have backed these players massively in past and I donít know if it is coincidence or what. Any Pakistani batsman your bhaijaan backs is conspired out of the team.

If all these batsmen were in Indian cricket they would have had great careers. Only Shobby managed to get out of the hole Pakistan cricket and seniors tried their best to dig him in. Rest of the batsmen had they even played a couple of IPL seasons would have been different people as well as cricketers by now. Pakistan cricket and senior management let them down. They all had it in them to succeed.

I will never forgive Waqar for that phase when he coached Pakistan team and let all these youngsters get lost in oblivion. It was his responsibility to look after them and he failed.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Chandni Chowk, Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Junaids View Post

Early Umar Akmal was very similar to early Dave Warner: two semi-educated fools with a gift for batting.

One of them has been groomed and cultivated and made a good career before his personality flaws destroyed him.

Iím a psychiatrist. Iím standing by a poster presentation this very minute at the American Psychiatric Association Annual meeting in New York.

And I can tell you, punishing gifted Mavericks like these two or Maradona or Gazza or any other under-educated big-headed sportsman does not make them conform.

They need bosses like Harry Redknapp who will put an arm around them, win their trust and earn a position where the maverick is happy to listen to them.
    Thanks Junaid bhai for ke Dong words to my anger. Everything you said is spot on and what I grieve.

You donít need to look too far though, letís talk about Kohli who when he started his career was begging for attention as all international experts were busy talking about Umar Akmal. Kohli was less gifted, less good looking,less muscular. The o my thing he had more than Umar Akmal then was arrogance and stupidity. But he was groomed under the great Sachin, Dravid etc and BCCI is a good parent to its kids than PCB swill ever be. In a couple of years while Umarís career graph plummeted, Kohli got groomed into a star. Rest is history.

Umar is just one example. Waqar ruined many careers.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1721 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    Imran Farhat
    Shoaib Malik
    Fawad Alam
    Umar Akmal
    Zulfiqar Haider

It is no secret I have backed these players massively in past and I don’t know if it is coincidence or what. Any Pakistani batsman your bhaijaan backs is conspired out of the team.

If all these batsmen were in Indian cricket they would have had great careers. Only Shobby managed to get out of the hole Pakistan cricket and seniors tried their best to dig him in. Rest of the batsmen had they even played a couple of IPL seasons would have been different people as well as cricketers by now. Pakistan cricket and senior management let them down. They all had it in them to succeed.

I will never forgive Waqar for that phase when he coached Pakistan team and let all these youngsters get lost in oblivion. It was his responsibility to look after them and he failed.
    I ask for your support in Hafeez thread....

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Oct 2007
    Venue
    Amsterdam / Faisalabad
    Runs
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Junaids View Post

I’m a psychiatrist. I’m standing by a poster presentation this very minute at the American Psychiatric Association Annual meeting in New York.

Which is why Bob Woolmer got the best out of many different type of Pak players. Best example being Afridi: Afridi was very effective in all formats under him.

"You aren't a failure if you fail, you are a failure if you don't get up to try again" - Imran Khan.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Chandni Chowk, Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Are we also going to forget how he benched Shoaib Akhtar in the Mohali semi final? Yes the replacement took 5 wicked but Akhtar taking two wickets in his opening spell would have meant so much more than Wahan picking scraps here and there.

Tendulkar was hot and cold against Akhtar. He sometimes beat him up like he was treating Ian Harvey and sometimes that over aggression cost him his wicket too. Pakistan needed to bet on Akhtar that day against Sachin but Waqarís ego got in the way.

Debut
    Oct 2007
    Venue
    Amsterdam / Faisalabad
    Runs
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are we also going to forget how he benched Shoaib Akhtar in the Mohali semi final? Yes the replacement took 5 wicked but Akhtar taking two wickets in his opening spell would have meant so much more than Wahan picking scraps here and there.

Tendulkar was hot and cold against Akhtar. He sometimes beat him up like he was treating Ian Harvey and sometimes that over aggression cost him his wicket too. Pakistan needed to bet on Akhtar that day against Sachin but Waqar’s ego got in the way.
    And you will have the support of Sir Abdur Razzaq as well.

"You aren't a failure if you fail, you are a failure if you don't get up to try again" - Imran Khan.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1246 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Waqar Younis is also responsible for Umar Akmal's weight and lack of fitness

#MPGA

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Chandni Chowk, Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I ask for your support in Hafeez thread....
    Sorry bro Mohammad Hafeez for me never represented Pakistan cricket. When I think of a Pakistani cricketer I think of a brave, whole hearted naturally gifted lad who may not be consistent but is on his day as good as anyone in world cricket.

Hafeez represent none of these qualities.

Having said that he comes across as a nice bloke which means the most in life and I respect him for that. I would have liked him if he played for Bangladesh though, just not Pakistani enough for me.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Chandni Chowk, Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince of Pakistan View Post
    Which is why Bob Woolmer got the best out of many different type of Pak players. Best example being Afridi: Afridi was very effective in all formats under him.
    Legendary coach. Pakistan has their best days under him. The wc 2007 disaster remains the only low point but such was the format I donít think neither India or Pakistan were that bad the format was punishing to rusty starters which is what at least Pakistan has always been. Their 3 wc triumphs all came after opening losses.

Miss you Bob Woolmer

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Tendulkar was hot and cold against Akhtar. He sometimes beat him up like he was treating Ian Harvey and sometimes that over aggression cost him his wicket too. Pakistan needed to bet on Akhtar that day against Sachin but Waqarís ego got in the way.
    He was forced to most likely. Akhtar kicked a player didn't he? You can't let someone play after doing that. And even then we all saw when Akhtar lost the plot against NZ, when he can't keep his emotions in check he can become a liability.

Riaz did great. He bowled better than Akhtar did in the whole tournament even if Akhtar wasn't bad. Given that even an excellent bowler doesn't have the performance Riaz has every single game, it's very unlikely Akhtar would have done better. He'd have to have a good day too, not an average one for him.

Pakistan got Tendulkar out several times in that match. That wasn't the bowlers fault/lack of effectiveness. We should have held on to our catches. It wasn't tendulkar's best game at all, and he didn't look as fluid as he usually did.

If anything was a very gutsy move by Waqar. Showed that players can not get away with that sort of behaviour. Waqar would have been feeling the heat from fans and media if the Riaz inclusion didn't work out.

Debut
    Jun 2011
    Venue
    Kashmir
    Runs
    Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    wont be surprise if waqar did say that

New Era of Team Pakistan

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Umar had massive potential to be a wicketkeeper batsman. Before we were carrying Kamran or another wicketkeeper who wouldn't get in bat alone. And keeping standard wasn't high either. Would have given Umar a bit of security in the side too and would have been able to play more without the fear of being dropped.

I don't blame him however, hard to take up wicketkeeping knowing you'll keep out your own brother/s as a result.

Umar playing as a wicketkeeper batsman was a good step towards developing a stronger batting line up by allowing an extra batsman thus packing your team with batsmen. It's was a viable option. Usually we tend to drop a batsman, pick another bowler and think if we play an extra bowler we will concede less runs, thus not need such a strong batting line up to chase the runs down/form a total. Which doesn't make too much sense really, you're not fixing the primary problem.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make your performance speak for you , these words mean nothing.

It is either a heartache or a headache ..Argh relationships.

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just checked, he played altogether 198 international matches from pakistan. In 198 matches, he failed to become a proper batsman. Perhaps we should let him play 200 more matches.
    Comparing with players like fawad, zulqarnain and farhat is a grave injustice as many players who didn't had any connections ended up played only few matches and was discarded.

By the way why and how this failure is playing a domestic one day cup. He failed miserably in psl but still find ways to get selected in ODI format.

Debut
    Feb 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Asif321 View Post
    This!
    If Akmal was bad attitude wise, Waqar was horrible coaching wise!
    The guy had wasted so many of our talented players and had no eye for talent whatsoever.

Have we got even a single substantial acheivement under his coaching?
    Last edited by SarfiBabarHaris; 6th May 2018 at 18:41.

Sarfi as captain'll lead us to glory.Babar'll be our best odi bat & Haris'll be world class in tests

Debut
    Jun 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianG00se View Post
    why the heck does Media gives so much importance to Akmal? What has he exactly done to get so much coverage from media? Why cant PCB act tougher against players who openly cause conflicts between players and/or coaches. I dont think any other board would tolerate such nonsense.
    Well you're here after clicking this thread plus everyone else that replies.

That's exactly why the media gives him attention. He's gift-wrapped click bait.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I congratulate Waqar if he said that. Umar's performances and fitness do not merit a place in the side.

PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Venue
    Orlando, FL
    Runs
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Asif321 View Post

The whole background is not being told by this over weight so-called cricketer; there is def more to this story than what he disclosed here!

This is coming from someone who faked back pains when his 'Bro' was being dropped so he could one up team management while he was a complete newbie on the Int'l scene; says a lot about his character!

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4852 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    It goes without saying that Umar is responsible for his own demise, and because of the reputation that he has carved out for himself, people are not going to believe in anything he says. However, there is no denying that having someone like Waqar coach the team for years did a lot of damage to Pakistan cricket.

He had no vision, no tactics, and was a very poor man manager, falling out with the likes of Afridi, Shehzad and Umar. Had Arthur or someone like him coached the team instead of Waqar for so many years, he may have salvaged something from Umar's career. Dealing with players and personalities like him was beyond the capabilities of Waqar.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Wellness Centre
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1017 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not surprised that some people are crying about Waqar's dislikeness for Afridi, Shehzad, and Umar. The most unfortunate thing to happen in Pakistan's history was that these three were allowed to represent Pakistan in the first place. I salute Waqar for trying his best to boot them out.

Gangster rap made me do it.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gotham Cronie View Post
    Well you're here after clicking this thread plus everyone else that replies.

That's exactly why the media gives him attention. He's gift-wrapped click bait.
    I often avoid Akmal thread cause I know its gonna be utter garbage and blaming every one including his neighbour’s dog for his failure. But im more surprised at how PCB have been failed to keep Akmal in check.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't understand why is he still so relevant. Get it over with

Debut
    May 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Kamran played the bigger innings

Umar only played a side show here and there were

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles"

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabishbeigh View Post
    I can't understand why is he still so relevant. Get it over with
    Time filler and a chance to get a good laugh when it's a slow news day.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Venue
    Chicago, IL
    Runs
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    It goes without saying that Umar is responsible for his own demise, and because of the reputation that he has carved out for himself, people are not going to believe in anything he says. However, there is no denying that having someone like Waqar coach the team for years did a lot of damage to Pakistan cricket.

He had no vision, no tactics, and was a very poor man manager, falling out with the likes of Afridi, Shehzad and Umar. Had Arthur or someone like him coached the team instead of Waqar for so many years, he may have salvaged something from Umar's career. Dealing with players and personalities like him was beyond the capabilities of Waqar.
    Is Mickey really any better than Waqar at dealing with personalities? He seems to be a taskmaster himself which I think led to his firing from the Aus / SAF team.

Mickey is definitely a good tactician and has done well planning for the future. Fakhar, Babar, Talat, Shadab and Hassan have all gotten plenty of ippprtubities under him and hence are flourishing.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    979 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Waqar was a mediocre coach but Umar's fitness, attitude and recent form is even worse.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    260 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Nothing new here. Waqar is known for being petty and holding on to grudges and going out of his way to destroy careers to satisfy his own ego.

Debut
    Feb 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by msb314 View Post

Mickey is definitely a good tactician
    I kind of feel the opposite. Mickey is good/ok at almost everything except tactics. He has made some blunders like playing 3 fast bowlers in UAE, changing Azhar's position (who definitely is a better opener) not giving chances to likes of Usman from the West Indies series etc. Apart from his tactics, i Like the guy and want him to continue but he needs to understand 'our' cricket so that he can be better at tactics too. Still better at tactics compare to Waqar though!

Sarfi as captain'll lead us to glory.Babar'll be our best odi bat & Haris'll be world class in tests

Debut
    Jun 2011
    Venue
    Kashmir
    Runs
    Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Waqar was one of the worst coach of Pakistan . he had hate for some players .Akmal is useless that is truth but waqar is even worst . sarfraz was send as opener in WC 15 squad . the height of stupidity was such they called out of form jamshed from pakistan to open in Australia whereas Sarfraz was already on bench
    and when asked in Press conference he says . i dont know sarfraz is an opener . what can be better example of incompetent and arrogant coach

New Era of Team Pakistan

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Waqar would be doing us all a favour if he really lived up to what Akmal claims Waqar said. This man doesn't deserve to play cricket. An embarrasment to the sport.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    979 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SarfiBabarHaris View Post
    I kind of feel the opposite. Mickey is good/ok at almost everything except tactics. He has made some blunders like playing 3 fast bowlers in UAE, changing Azhar's position (who definitely is a better opener) not giving chances to likes of Usman from the West Indies series etc. Apart from his tactics, i Like the guy and want him to continue but he needs to understand 'our' cricket so that he can be better at tactics too. Still better at tactics compare to Waqar though!
    I think they got fooled by the grass on the pitch in Abu Dhabi and went for 3 pacers in Dubai Test because they thought it'd swing under lights in a day night Test.

They probably also wanted to protect Azhar by demoting him to 3 but judging from this tour match against Northants they are rectifying that mistake.

However when you look at his tenure overall, the correct tactical decisions outweigh the blunders.

Debut
    Feb 2013
    Venue
    Glasgow/Scotland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After his world class performances in the Pakistan Cup chota is back with a bang ����
    Hopefully this is the final nail in the coffin ��������

Waiting for the day when there will be no p....i player in a green shirt

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Venue
    Andromeda
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    As DMX said in Ruf riders: 'Talk is cheap ...'

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Venue
    Alberta
    Runs
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't support Umar Akmal but he was right when he refused to keep. We all know how poor his keeping is. Waqar should've known this that he is not a test quality keeper. He is not even ODI quality wicketkeeper.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there any possibility of putting a gag order on current Test and FC and ListA players and ensure that the only interaction with media would be via a professional media manager? Punishments to the extent of bans, should be handed out for making irresponsible statements and mud slinging in public.

I used to like Umar but now with his fitness, twitter posts and such antics, I do not see an iota of chance of him making a comeback..

"Don't get attached to anything you're not willing to walk out in 30 seconds" Neil McCauley, Heat

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1473 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Wrong of Umar Akmal to mention this now when he is trying to make a comeback, but there are 2 ways to look at this:

1. He was being honest and admitting that he wasn't good enough to keep wicket in Test cricket.
    or
    2. He was letting the coach, captain and team down by not following instructions.

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    Pan ka Khoka
    Runs
    Mentioned
    784 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    Wrong of Umar Akmal to mention this now when he is trying to make a comeback, but there are 2 ways to look at this:

1. He was being honest and admitting that he wasn't good enough to keep wicket in Test cricket.
    or
    2. He was letting the coach, captain, and team down by not following instructions.
    He is not good enough to be a professional sportsperson. He has zero determination and drive to become better and he finds excuses and rants whenever he's been put in front of a mic. Professionalism and hard work is extremely important in any walk of life and sadly Umar does not have an ounce of it in his personality.

No matter who's in charge I personally don't see Umar Akmal improving in any capacity whatsoever. The only way is for him to introspect his own flaws and then rectify them by putting in the hard yards!

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1262 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

or
    2. He was letting the coach, captain and team down by not following instructions.
    I think the point 1 is the one. He basically says that he cannot keep in tests as in UAE Misbah played 3 spinners. This is probably his way of accepting that he isn't a good keeper to spin and his batting will be affected if he fails as a keeper. I know Rahul Dravid kept wickets for India in ODI's to help the team balance but I am sure he would have refused if he was told to do the same in Tests.

Disclaimer: Not comparing Dravid and Akmal here (before someone comes and starts criticising me and derails the thread), just comparing the scenarios as both were not regular keepers.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    Motown
    Runs
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Junior seems to have a new person to blame for each interview.

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think waqar as a coach was a disgrace and he should be investigated for corruption
    Last edited by Jabo; 8th May 2018 at 08:41.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He is taking about the time when he used to play Test matches so that would be an incident from 7 years ago. He is also implying that since Waqar said that he is going to make sure Umar never plays again. Thats the reason why he isn't in the team right now. So Waqar is actively lobbying against Akmal's selection. It has nothing to do with performances and failure to pass fitness tests.

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    Pan ka Khoka
    Runs
    Mentioned
    784 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirris View Post
    He is taking about the time when he used to play Test matches so that would be an incident from 7 years ago. He is also implying that since Waqar said that he is going to make sure Umar never plays again. Thats the reason why he isn't in the team right now. So Waqar is actively lobbying against Akmal's selection. It has nothing to do with performances and failure to pass fitness tests.
    Given how Umar is mentally, I wouldn't be a tad bit surprised if he actually believes this for real.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    Cybertron, Guest of Optimus Prime
    Runs
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    hold on a sec..I just dont get it..your job is to score runs..just go out there,work on your game and score runs..end of..the rest is bakwaas. He cant score runs consistently. I dont care if people think he is a talent (he isnt by the way, just a tape ball player who got lucky,) why doesnt he shut his mouth ands core centruy after century in the domestic first class competition. That way Mickey will think again.

the fact is he cant..he isnt good enough..or he would have.. end of..

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Noticed that a lot of people are talking badly about Waqars coaching. Has anyone actually looked at the stats to confirm their opinions? I did a quick check to check win/loss ratios before and after Waqar (both 1st stint and second) to see what the stats ACTUALLY say. I like facts over opinions:

So pre Waqar 1st stint is for the period Jan 2005 up to him taking over in 2011:

Tests:
    Pre Waqar 26% of tests won
    1st stint 33% of tests won
    2nd stint 53% of tests won (incuding a series win over australia which we had failed to do in 15 years)
    post Waqar 27% of tests won (6 wins, 16 losses - well done Mickey)

ODi's
    Pre Waqar 54% won
    1st stint 58% won
    2nd stint 38% won
    post Waqar 53% won

T20s
    Pre waqar 72% won
    1st stint 32% won
    2nd stint 53% won
    post waqar 85% won (17 wins, 3 losses. 11 wins coming from WI and SL, so pretty average competition)

Based on stats, he was our most successful coach for the longer format, pretty sure a lot more strategy goes into the longer format. Also its important to note that in the longer format, there was no afridi, umar akmal was in and out. In the shorter format, Afridi, umar akmal and shehzad were forced into the squad by the board and i think that had a lot to do with the overall performances of the team, and morale within the dressing room.

I quantify this comment by looking at the shorter format stats for Mickey who is not playing Afridi, Akmal or shehzad.

I just wanted to post this because all these derogatory comments are uncalled for and not backed by facts. Lets be clear, he was our most successful coach in the longer format - EVER, and i wonder what the stats wouldve looked like if they were not in the side under his command.
    Last edited by hadi123; 9th May 2018 at 10:58.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Umar Akmal is Pakistani version of Vinod Kambli

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    959 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AFM View Post
    Does not matter. If someone like ABD can do it for the betterment of his team, Akmal has no right to refuse.

Akmal was more worried about his 'batting form' rather than the team's success and therefore, Waqar was right to rebuke him.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    959 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

or
    Well, it's the coach's job to decide who is and who isn't good enough for a particular role. If it was left up to the players, there would be anarchy.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Saudi Arabia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Junaid bhai for ke Dong words to my anger. Everything you said is spot on and what I grieve.

You donít need to look too far though, letís talk about Kohli who when he started his career was begging for attention as all international experts were busy talking about Umar Akmal. Kohli was less gifted, less good looking,less muscular. The o my thing he had more than Umar Akmal then was arrogance and stupidity. But he was groomed under the great Sachin, Dravid etc and BCCI is a good parent to its kids than PCB swill ever be. In a couple of years while Umarís career graph plummeted, Kohli got groomed into a star. Rest is history.

Umar is just one example. Waqar ruined many careers.
    Kohli was never less gifted than umar.. This has been clarified many times by mudassar nazar under whose tutelage umer akmal & ahmad shehzad played.

It is just us pakistani fans and our pundits who have propagated this myth that he was better than kohli just because he got a debut ton (which i find over rated because lot of ATG batsmen of past/present don't have debut tons).

I cant search the stats now as cric archives is paid now but if you are willing to pay for using their site, you can get a look at virat initial success in FC and compare them with umar to see who was much better in FC and list A cricket.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    959 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TQ89 View Post
    Kohli was never less gifted than umar.. This has been clarified many times by mudassar nazar under whose tutelage umer akmal & ahmad shehzad played.

It is just us pakistani fans and our pundits who have propagated this myth that he was better than kohli just because he got a debut ton (which i find over rated because lot of ATG batsmen of past/present don't have debut tons).

I cant search the stats now as cric archives is paid now but if you are willing to pay for using their site, you can get a look at virat initial success in FC and compare them with umar to see who was much better in FC and list A cricket.
    Umar had more shots and batted with a lot more flair compared to Kohli way back when. For some people, that is what batting talent is and if so, it would not be wrong to say that Akmal was more talented than Kohli during the initial phase of their respective careers.

It matters little now, however. Kohli is among the best batsmen in the world while Akmal may end up as a good T20 batsman for Pakistan, if he really puts some work in.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Chandni Chowk, Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TQ89 View Post

Umar Akmal's debut ton was LIT :

The way he manhandled Lasith Mallinga that day, was epic.

Even Indians rated Ummy above Chiku till a couple of years. Only when Kohli accumulated a lot of ODI hundreds that people started to believe in him.

Ummy had more raw power and engima.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1473 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    More to this than meets the eye.

I think Akmal is probably not giving the full story or probably does not want the full story to come out.

Debut
    Jun 2008
    Venue
    Moscow, Russia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use your brains everyone and you'll know what's going on.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    979 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mannimans View Post
    Noticed that a lot of people are talking badly about Waqars coaching. Has anyone actually looked at the stats to confirm their opinions? I did a quick check to check win/loss ratios before and after Waqar (both 1st stint and second) to see what the stats ACTUALLY say. I like facts over opinions:

So pre Waqar 1st stint is for the period Jan 2005 up to him taking over in 2011:

Tests:
    Pre Waqar 26% of tests won
    1st stint 33% of tests won
    2nd stint 53% of tests won (incuding a series win over australia which we had failed to do in 15 years)
    post Waqar 27% of tests won (6 wins, 16 losses - well done Mickey)

ODi's
    Pre Waqar 54% won
    1st stint 58% won
    2nd stint 38% won
    post Waqar 53% won

T20s
    Pre waqar 72% won
    1st stint 32% won
    2nd stint 53% won
    post waqar 85% won (17 wins, 3 losses. 11 wins coming from WI and SL, so pretty average competition)

Based on stats, he was our most successful coach for the longer format, pretty sure a lot more strategy goes into the longer format. Also its important to note that in the longer format, there was no afridi, umar akmal was in and out. In the shorter format, Afridi, umar akmal and shehzad were forced into the squad by the board and i think that had a lot to do with the overall performances of the team, and morale within the dressing room.

I quantify this comment by looking at the shorter format stats for Mickey who is not playing Afridi, Akmal or shehzad.

I just wanted to post this because all these derogatory comments are uncalled for and not backed by facts. Lets be clear, he was our most successful coach in the longer format - EVER, and i wonder what the stats wouldve looked like if they were not in the side under his command.
    How many Test series outside Asia did Waqar coach us in ? The Test team was Misbah's baby as proven by the fact we were whitewashing teams like England even when Mohsin the cheerleader was coaching.

Arthur meanwhile had a baptism of fire with three of the most difficult tours for Asian teams away to England, New Zealand and Australia in his FIRST year, whilst having to oversee the loss of two senior batsmen. Which Asian team has won in Australia or New Zealand lately, let alone with the completely inadequate preparation we had for them ?

As for white ball cricket, Waqar may have had Afridi/Akmal/Shehzad forced on him but what's the explanation for selecting duds and recycling TTFs like Iftikhar Ahmed, 39 year old Rifatullah Mohmand, Bilal Asif, Anwar Ali, Sohail Tanvir and Mohammad Sami despite talking a good game about blooding youngsters ? In one game against Zimbabwe in 2015 (which we lost) we had a top order of Azhar Ali, Ahmed Shehzad, Mohammad Hafeez and Bilal Asif !

Those selections as a result of Waqar's poor eye for talent meant we were tottering at #9 and #7 in the ODI and T20 rankings when Arthur took over.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    275 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    More to this than meets the eye.

I think Akmal is probably not giving the full story or probably does not want the full story to come out.
    Surely someone in the family will tell this duffer to stop talking and concentrate on scoring runs.