Instagram

SportsFever360

Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 80 of 90

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    4,337
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    England announce 12-man squad for the first Test match against Pakistan at Lordís

    England National Cricket Selectors have named the following 12-man squad for the first Test match against Pakistan at Lordís starting on Thursday May 24.

    England Test squad

    Joe Root (Yorkshire) captain

    Jimmy Anderson (Lancashire)

    Jonny Bairstow (Yorkshire) wicketkeeper

    Dom Bess (Somerset)

    Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire)

    Jos Buttler (Lancashire)

    Alastair Cook (Essex)

    Dawid Malan (Middlesex)

    Ben Stokes (Durham)

    Mark Stoneman (Surrey)

    Chris Woakes (Warwickshire)

    Mark Wood (Durham)

    Somerset spinner Dom Bess has been included in the squad for the first time.

    Lancashire batsman Jos Buttler returns to the Test squad for the first time since December 2016 when he played in the fifth Test against India in Chennai.

    Bess, the 20-year-old off spinner, has played 16 first-class matches and was impressive in the Champion County match for the MCC against Essex in March where he took eight wickets in the match and scored a valuable century in defeating the County Champions in Barbados.

    Commenting on the selection of Bess and Buttler, National Selector Ed Smith, said:

    ďDom Bess has made an excellent start to his first-class career. He has impressed everyone with his performances for Somerset and when he has been given opportunities with England representative teams. With Jack Leach missing out due to injury, the selection panel wanted to invest opportunity in a young spin bowler. Dom's strong form, character and all-round abilities presented a compelling case for selection.

    ďJos Buttler is an outstanding talent, who is already a central part of Englandís white ball teams. The selection panel feels that this is the perfect moment to reintroduce Jos to Test cricket, where he has already enjoyed some success, including a stint playing as a specialist batsman at number seven. Jos is playing with great confidence and flair, and he will bring unique qualities to the Test team.Ē

    England have awarded incremental contracts to Surreyís Tom Curran and Middlesexís Dawid Malan for their performances during the 2017-18 contract year.

  2. #2
    Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    10,303
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moeen Ali dropped or injured?

  3. #3
    Debut
    May 2005
    Runs
    19,071
    Mentioned
    380 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arham_PakFan View Post
    Moeen Ali dropped or injured?
    Dropped.

  4. #4
    Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    12,636
    Mentioned
    203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moeen Ali dropped. Wow, I was not expecting him to be dropped from the squad altogether. Don't know much about Dom Bess tbh, that could benefit England as Pakistan won't know how to play him but if nerves get to him he could get smashed, assuming he plays.

  5. #5
    Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    10,479
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Strange how Moeen, who probably had one of the best ever test match seasons just last summer, has now been dropped completely due to the winter carnage in Australasia where so many of them failed...

    Scapegoat perhaps?

  6. #6
    Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    3,394
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMMY69 View Post
    Strange how Moeen, who probably had one of the best ever test match seasons just last summer, has now been dropped completely due to the winter carnage in Australasia where so many of them failed...

    Scapegoat perhaps?
    Surely you're joking? He averaged 126.8 with the ball during the winter (playing as the main spinner for the most part) and 18.82 with the bat whilst openly admitting he got a longer run than he deserved in the test side during that period.

  7. #7
    Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    10,479
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HitWicket View Post
    Surely you're joking? He averaged 126.8 with the ball during the winter (playing as the main spinner for the most part) and 18.82 with the bat whilst openly admitting he got a longer run than he deserved in the test side during that period.
    I am not joking...

    He's gone on record as saying that he sees himself as a batsman. He has always bowled better when he has been the second spinner. Either way he bats at 7...

    But you've ignored the most important bit...
    Last summer, at home, he took a hatrick at Lords and scored plenty of runs throughout the summer.

    He was considered one of the most valuable players for England in Test Matches just a few short months ago.. From that to being dropped altogether seems a it unfair to me.

  8. #8
    Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    23,817
    Mentioned
    687 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMMY69 View Post
    Strange how Moeen, who probably had one of the best ever test match seasons just last summer, has now been dropped completely due to the winter carnage in Australasia where so many of them failed...

    Scapegoat perhaps?
    Five tests of low scores with the bat and powerlessness with the ball. His confidence is gone for the moment, poor fellow. I knew he would take no wickets in Australia, but thought he would get some runs.

    He can come back in tests, but I think he will have to be a #5 bat and second spinner like Shastri.

  9. #9
    Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    10,479
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Five tests of low scores with the bat and powerlessness with the ball. His confidence is gone for the moment, poor fellow. I knew he would take no wickets in Australia, but thought he would get some runs.

    He can come back in tests, but I think he will have to be a #5 bat and second spinner like Shastri.
    Yes I do agree with. Plus Australia is historically an off spinners grave yard so the odds were always stacked against him. He's a good utility spinner who has actually done pretty well in home conditions but when played as a second/back up spinner.

    I'm just surprised how one of the most important players in the side over an entire domestic season can go so completely off the boil. I suspect the pressure on him to produce with ball affected his batting over the winter. That, and the fact that he has been playing all formats non stop for the last 3 to 4 years.

  10. #10
    Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    33,807
    Mentioned
    1526 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    #Justice for Moeen



    We will smash these pompous Brits just to show them how important Moeen is.
    Last edited by UN talkz; 15th May 2018 at 14:35.


    #Hum apko container deingaye dharnay ke liyay

  11. #11
    Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    3,394
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    (And has played absolutely no FC cricket since)

  12. #12
    Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    10,479
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HitWicket View Post
    (And has played absolutely no FC cricket since)
    now that I can agree with.
    Although you can say the same thing for Butler, Woakes and Stokes...

  13. #13
    Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    7,305
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Strong squad.

    Would have preferred Moeen Ali in the squad.

  14. #14
    Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    7,017
    Mentioned
    260 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Looks like Bairstow will play as a batsman. A good move which will strengthen English middle order.

  15. #15
    Debut
    Oct 2012
    Venue
    Faisalabad.
    Runs
    4,215
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Who is Dom Bess? A little weird name that is, and how good he is?

  16. #16
    Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    3,394
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeshan547 View Post
    Who is Dom Bess? A little weird name that is, and how good he is?
    Somersets 2nd spinner after Leach. Young off-spinner.

  17. #17
    Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    3,394
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Odd_One View Post
    Looks like Bairstow will play as a batsman. A good move which will strengthen English middle order.
    Word is it's likely Bairstow will keep the glove and Buttler will play as a batsman (but possibly still at 7).

  18. #18
    Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    23,817
    Mentioned
    687 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HitWicket View Post
    Word is it's likely Bairstow will keep the glove and Buttler will play as a batsman (but possibly still at 7).
    Crazy. Bairstow should be the #4 or #5 and not keep wicket.

  19. #19
    Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    8,993
    Mentioned
    418 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    About time Bairstow plays as a batsman.


    A skilled hawk conceals its talons.

  20. #20
    Debut
    Apr 2017
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    5,451
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Destroyer View Post
    About time Bairstow plays as a batsman.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Odd_One View Post
    Looks like Bairstow will play as a batsman. A good move which will strengthen English middle order.
    Bad news

  21. #21
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    73,966
    Mentioned
    4608 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Odd_One View Post
    Looks like Bairstow will play as a batsman. A good move which will strengthen English middle order.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Destroyer View Post
    About time Bairstow plays as a batsman.
    Quote Originally Posted by babajee View Post
    Bad news
    Buttler would play as the specialist batsman, not Bairstow. The latter likes to keep and the ECB is not going to trust Buttler with keeping in Tests yet.

  22. #22
    Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    7,017
    Mentioned
    260 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Buttler would play as the specialist batsman, not Bairstow. The latter likes to keep and the ECB is not going to trust Buttler with keeping in Tests yet.
    Then it will be bad decision. Buttler is almost 28 and has a FC and test average of 31. He is not going to magically become a world class test batsman. Bairstow on the other hand has the potential to be one.

  23. #23
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    73,966
    Mentioned
    4608 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Odd_One View Post
    Then it will be bad decision. Buttler is almost 28 and has a FC and test average of 31. He is not going to magically become a world class test batsman. Bairstow on the other hand has the potential to be one.
    He is obviously more talented that what his F/C record shows. Ideally, they should be playing both of them as specialist batsmen with Foakes taking over the gloves. Both Bairstow and Buttler are too good to be weighed down by WK duties. They are among the best batsmen in the country.

  24. #24
    Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    10,479
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With regards to Moeen, he's done extremely well against India in the past. So maybe, after some first class matches under his belt, he may just be back for the India series.

  25. #25
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    884
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    He is obviously more talented that what his F/C record shows. Ideally, they should be playing both of them as specialist batsmen with Foakes taking over the gloves. Both Bairstow and Buttler are too good to be weighed down by WK duties. They are among the best batsmen in the country.
    Buttler left his home county Somerset for Lancashire around 2013-14 because he wasn't given the gloves consistently. Don't think he feels weighed down by wicketkeeping duties.

  26. #26
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    1,097
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope buttler gets a chance.

    He is been in some form lately, but that's in little league. Big boys game is test cricket lets see how he plays pak bowling.

  27. #27
    Debut
    Jan 2005
    Venue
    Dubai
    Runs
    1,661
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    England too guilty of selecting a test squad based on T20 (IPL!) form!!


    Float like a Butterfly...Sting like a Bee

  28. #28
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    73,966
    Mentioned
    4608 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    People won't be happy with this, but Buttler's selection shows that boards value IPL performances a lot. That is why I don't call franchise T20 cricket anymore - it is not like the PSL, BBL, BPL etc. - it is international cricket in franchise form.

  29. #29
    Debut
    Apr 2017
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    5,451
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    People won't be happy with this, but Buttler's selection shows that boards value IPL performances a lot. That is why I don't call franchise T20 cricket anymore - it is not like the PSL, BBL, BPL etc. - it is international cricket in franchise form.
    Then Dawid Malan was selected for England T20 squad based on the PSL.

  30. #30
    Debut
    Apr 2018
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    338
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by babajee View Post
    Then Dawid Malan was selected for England T20 squad based on the PSL.
    Although IPL is the best T20 league going, you're absolutely right here. Well observed.

  31. #31
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    73,966
    Mentioned
    4608 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by babajee View Post
    Then Dawid Malan was selected for England T20 squad based on the PSL.
    There is a difference between getting picked for a T20 squad based on a T20 league, and getting picked for a Test squad based on a T20 league.

    IPL is the only league that can influence Test selections.

  32. #32
    Debut
    Mar 2007
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    2,951
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    There is a difference between getting picked for a T20 squad based on a T20 league, and getting picked for a Test squad based on a T20 league.

    IPL is the only league that can influence Test selections.
    Flat tracks and sub-par bowlers which even makes Narine look like Chris Gayle V2.0! Poor Vince scores a double hundred in county cricket and gets dropped. Hope this back fires on England.

  33. #33
    Debut
    Nov 2016
    Runs
    52
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even BCCI won't trust ipl performances as much.

  34. #34
    Debut
    Apr 2018
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    338
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moeen Ali's exclusion was unfortunately inevitable because he has been really struggling to bat for about 6-8 months now and even in this IPL he doesn't know what he's doing.

    Even thought England have picked a spinner in the squad I reckon they will be feeling bullish and not require him after what they've seen with Pakistan's batting.

  35. #35
    Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    1,080
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moeen's exclusion is going to haunt England....

  36. #36
    Debut
    Apr 2017
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    5,451
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    IPL is the only league that can influence Test selections.
    Why are you so sure about that

  37. #37
    Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    10,479
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by babajee View Post
    Why are you so sure about that
    Because it is an Indian league.

  38. #38
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    73,966
    Mentioned
    4608 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by babajee View Post
    Why are you so sure about that
    Quote Originally Posted by IMMY69 View Post
    Because it is an Indian league.
    Because this is the first time I have seen a player getting selected into a Test squad based on performances in a T20 league.

    It doesn't even happen internally, and by that I mean a team selecting a player for its Test team based on performances in their own T20 league.

    This is quite fascinating to see. The IPL has truly humbled the ECB over the years and has exposed mercenaries like David Lloyd. They opposed it initially because it was against their so-called values, but now then bend over backwards because their players cannot resist the temptation.

  39. #39
    Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    20,806
    Mentioned
    1514 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Because this is the first time I have seen a player getting selected into a Test squad based on performances in a T20 league.

    It doesn't even happen internally, and by that I mean a team selecting a player for its Test team based on performances in their own T20 league.

    This is quite fascinating to see. The IPL has truly humbled the ECB over the years and has exposed mercenaries like David Lloyd. They opposed it initially because it was against their so-called values, but now then bend over backwards because their players cannot resist the temptation.
    Come on Mamoon, don't fall into the trap of idiots, lip serving someone else's purpose. And, this Rambo guy doesn't even read PP ....... least said about Abdul Qadir is better.

    After many, many years, I found very little to criticize Ul Haq's 15 players, out of 16 (he can't change Captain) and hardly any one of them are PSL hit. Within the available scope, only player who came into squad from PSL is Rahat, and his alternate would have also come for PSL performance - Wahab, or Shaheen, if you go for a young face. Otherwise, FZ's FC average is better than most, Babar is invested for 2 years in Test now and other 7 batsmen hardly played or picked in PSL. Fahim came as an all-rounder and he proved his value, at least delivered when it required. Shadab won't have been there unless Yasir was unfit and he also had his mark here (& he was failure, at least to the hype in this PSL). Abbas didn't play a game in PSL, Amir would be there with or without, so would be Hasan. Imam proved his worth beyond being nephew of CS.

    Poms picking Butler has absolutely nothing on IPL - he was a super flop in BPL, and turning heat in IPL. It's just that he offers Gilchrist like impact and Poms are trying to off-load burden from their best batsman of recent times, IPL has nothing in it. Neither PSL in PAK's Test squad.

  40. #40
    Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    3,682
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plumb View Post
    I hope buttler gets a chance. He is been in some form lately, but that's in little league. Big boys game is test cricket lets see how he plays pak bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Odd_One View Post
    Then it will be bad decision. Buttler is almost 28 and has a FC and test average of 31. He is not going to magically become a world class test batsman. Bairstow on the other hand has the potential to be one.
    Buttler ends the series with an avg of 80.5 and a Player of the Match award for the decisive match.

    Quote Originally Posted by run-out View Post
    What about stokes performance in the IPL?
    Seems like the English selector should have followed Stokes' IPL performance and dropped him for the first match.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Because this is the first time I have seen a player getting selected into a Test squad based on performances in a T20 league.

    It doesn't even happen internally, and by that I mean a team selecting a player for its Test team based on performances in their own T20 league.

    This is quite fascinating to see. The IPL has truly humbled the ECB over the years and has exposed mercenaries like David Lloyd. They opposed it initially because it was against their so-called values, but now then bend over backwards because their players cannot resist the temptation.
    Mamoon again showing he is more often right than wrong.

    Quote Originally Posted by MMHS View Post
    Poms picking Butler has absolutely nothing on IPL - he was a super flop in BPL, and turning heat in IPL.
    It is not only posters here who think Buttler got selected due to his IPL performance, but English newspapers and writers who believe Buttler was selected on the basis of his IPL performance. And why should they not, after all Buttler hasn't played any FC cricket since Sept 2017.

    https://www.express.co.uk/sport/cric...eddie-Flintoff

    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/...nd-test-squad/
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 3rd June 2018 at 22:28.

  41. #41
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    73,966
    Mentioned
    4608 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Napa View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Plumb View Post
    I hope buttler gets a chance. He is been in some form lately, but that's in little league. Big boys game is test cricket lets see how he plays pak bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Odd_One View Post
    Then it will be bad decision. Buttler is almost 28 and has a FC and test average of 31. He is not going to magically become a world class test batsman. Bairstow on the other hand has the potential to be one.
    Buttler ends the series with an avg of 80.5 and a Player of the Match award for the decisive match.

    Quote Originally Posted by run-out View Post
    What about stokes performance in the IPL?
    Seems like the English selector should have followed Stokes' IPL performance and dropped him for the first match.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Because this is the first time I have seen a player getting selected into a Test squad based on performances in a T20 league.

    It doesn't even happen internally, and by that I mean a team selecting a player for its Test team based on performances in their own T20 league.

    This is quite fascinating to see. The IPL has truly humbled the ECB over the years and has exposed mercenaries like David Lloyd. They opposed it initially because it was against their so-called values, but now then bend over backwards because their players cannot resist the temptation.
    Mamoon again showing he is more often right than wrong.

    Quote Originally Posted by MMHS View Post
    Poms picking Butler has absolutely nothing on IPL - he was a super flop in BPL, and turning heat in IPL.
    It is not only posters here who think Buttler got selected due to his IPL performance, but English newspapers and writers who believe Buttler was selected on the basis of his IPL performance. And why should they not, after all Buttler hasn't played any FC cricket since Sept 2017.

    https://www.express.co.uk/sport/cric...eddie-Flintoff

    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/...nd-test-squad/
    At the end of the day, cricket is cricket. IPL is high quality LO cricket, and the way Buttler was hitting the ball, it was clear that he was in excellent form.

    He is a brilliant talent who has been held back by ECB’s conservatism. He has all the ingredients to be a match-winner in all formats.
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 3rd June 2018 at 22:29.

  42. #42
    Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    20,806
    Mentioned
    1514 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Napa View Post
    Buttler ends the series with an avg of 80.5 and a Player of the Match award for the decisive match.



    Seems like the English selector should have followed Stokes' IPL performance and dropped him for the first match.



    Mamoon again showing he is more often right than wrong.



    It is not only posters here who think Buttler got selected due to his IPL performance, but English newspapers and writers who believe Buttler was selected on the basis of his IPL performance. And why should they not, after all Buttler hasn't played any FC cricket since Sept 2017.

    https://www.express.co.uk/sport/cric...eddie-Flintoff

    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/...nd-test-squad/
    Butler was in brilliant batting form, which he showed even in ODIs down under and that he continued in IPL as well. Since IPL was the last tournament that he played, it's easier to link his inclusion to that - and he is proving in Test as well that, it's his batting form, not only performance in IPL that done the trick. We can live in a cricket world without monopolizing everything for IPL.

    What @Mamoon said, I am not denying, in fact I said the same - Butler was in brilliant form from ODI leg in AUS/NZ, and few ENG Test batsmen had a poor tour, therefore Butler got his chance, and he had added benefit of being back-up WK. Now, he has a good series against PAK, for which he should have a long stay in Test - a year later, someone will tell you that LO specialist Butler had an extended Test career because of his performance against PAK.

  43. #43
    Debut
    Jul 2016
    Venue
    East Coast, US.
    Runs
    667
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Because this is the first time I have seen a player getting selected into a Test squad based on performances in a T20 league.

    It doesn't even happen internally, and by that I mean a team selecting a player for its Test team based on performances in their own T20 league.

    This is quite fascinating to see. The IPL has truly humbled the ECB over the years and has exposed mercenaries like David Lloyd. They opposed it initially because it was against their so-called values, but now then bend over backwards because their players cannot resist the temptation.
    Bhai I don't disagree with you, but what's wrong with holding out as long as they did against big money? I don't believe anyone would choose values over big paycheques in short playing careers.

    I don't disagree at some level because part of me is still disappointed at how things went down in WI with the likes of Gayle, Dwayne Bravo, Samuels etc who could've formed a potent test team.

  44. #44
    Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Chicago
    Runs
    4,756
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Because this is the first time I have seen a player getting selected into a Test squad based on performances in a T20 league.

    It doesn't even happen internally, and by that I mean a team selecting a player for its Test team based on performances in their own T20 league.

    This is quite fascinating to see. The IPL has truly humbled the ECB over the years and has exposed mercenaries like David Lloyd. They opposed it initially because it was against their so-called values, but now then bend over backwards because their players cannot resist the temptation.
    Yep. In just the last few days, IPL facilitated the come back into international teams for Rahul, Rayudu and now Butler. Performing under pressure always helps

  45. #45
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    20,413
    Mentioned
    341 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by babajee View Post
    Why are you so sure about that
    Malan was picked because of an innings he played in a T20 versus South Africa.

    Nice try though.

  46. #46
    Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    20,806
    Mentioned
    1514 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Poms are going with 5 pacers, this Dom kid is not going to play; but his FC stats are brilliant - batting average of 25 and bowling average of 22 for 4 wickets/game is brilliant for a 20 years old kid. I can only hope he keeps this FC stats, or may be make it 22 with bat & 25 with ball in the long run; and I wish, it doesn't end with 36 for both bat & ball.

  47. #47
    Debut
    Dec 2009
    Runs
    13,421
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Looks weak. Though is probably the right squad.

    From that I'd play
    1. Stoneman
    2. Cook
    3. Root
    4. Bairstow
    5. Malan
    6. Stokes
    7. Butler (wk)
    8. Woakes
    9. Bess
    10. Broad
    11. Anderson

    I think getting in Butler is the right move, give him the gloves though, so Bairstow can focus on batting. Think it's crazy though to put in Butler and make Bairstow keep lol, what's the point.

    Root needs to move up to three. Cook ideally needs to move down, but there's no stable openers to replace him atm.

    3rd pacer is also a problem, not sure if Woakes or Wood will do well, they look second rate compared to broad and anderson.

  48. #48
    Debut
    Mar 2007
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    2,951
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    James Vince scores double century and gets dropped (he was one of the better batsman down under) and replaced by Butler whose had a good IPL. Crazy! Sign of the times...

  49. #49
    Debut
    Feb 2011
    Runs
    1,685
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What if Pakistan smash England and they are forced to bring back the beard for India who goes on to demolish them.

    Would be a glorious summer!

  50. #50
    Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    7,852
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bairstow can bat at 4 now.

    It is always important that two of your most dynamic as well as world class batsmen should bat at 3 and 4.

  51. #51
    Debut
    Jul 2016
    Venue
    East Coast, US.
    Runs
    667
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mo didn't deserve to be in the team either as batsman or bowler after the 6 consecutive shocking Tests he had in both departments. I still wanted him in the side, as I'm a fan. However, it was his home summer that -- in the first place -- got him more than 3 Tests after how he was performing. As someone pointed out, he himself said he was surprised to not have been dropped earlier, and expected not to come back this summer.

    Unless Dom Bess and Mason Crane get injured as well. Both of whom seem to be above Mo in the pecking order.

    Still annoyed that Foakes can't crack the side and even with the inclusion of a WK T20 king, England are tiring out Bairstow. Testing the endurance of his concentration by batting him at 5 with gloves in hand.

    Relieved that James Vince has been dropped. Don't want to take pleasure in his misfortune, but he never should've been in the side.

    Preferably he would've played against Pakistan and given us a walking wicket, but with our bowling attack, he might have scored a hundred and played for another year.

    Out of this XII, if I was an impartial selector, I'd leave out Woakes for Wood but as a Pakistan supporter I'd leave out Wood. Not playing spinner is silly, considering no team needs 5 seamers. And it's not like England have a classic WI battery of scary fastmen.

    All that aside, I can't even fantasise Pakistan won't draw a Test without serious rain.

  52. #52
    Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    25,274
    Mentioned
    4475 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMMY69 View Post
    Strange how Moeen, who probably had one of the best ever test match seasons just last summer, has now been dropped completely due to the winter carnage in Australasia where so many of them failed...

    Scapegoat perhaps?
    Quote Originally Posted by HitWicket View Post
    Surely you're joking? He averaged 126.8 with the ball during the winter (playing as the main spinner for the most part) and 18.82 with the bat whilst openly admitting he got a longer run than he deserved in the test side during that period.
    Maybe he should be dropped but during that bad run of form people forget his prep for the tour was poor and he was playing injured , the guy wasn't 100% fit. His role has hardly been defined but he has done a good job for England despite that and will be back, very few can match his prowess at home especially and we saw what he did to the Indians last time

  53. #53
    Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    20,806
    Mentioned
    1514 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaz619 View Post
    Maybe he should be dropped but during that bad run of form people forget his prep for the tour was poor and he was playing injured , the guy wasn't 100% fit. His role has hardly been defined but he has done a good job for England despite that and will be back, very few can match his prowess at home especially and we saw what he did to the Indians last time
    I actually wrote before Ashes (even just after he was MoS against SAF), that he might loose his spot down under, because his finger off-spin won't be effective there and he is a suspect against short ball. But, didn't expect him to be dropped for home Test so early, particularly when they have retained Malan & Stoneman (& both is likely to start). Moeen is similar aged, still with a better batting average (his home average is much higher than away), and he offers off spin. We were talking about Moeen being deputy or even a shot a Captaincy less than a year back!!!!!!

    I think, they'll bring him in for IND series. ENG might win both Tests, but those 2 batsmen are not going to establish themselves against PAK attack.

  54. #54
    Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    25,274
    Mentioned
    4475 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MMHS View Post
    I actually wrote before Ashes (even just after he was MoS against SAF), that he might loose his spot down under, because his finger off-spin won't be effective there and he is a suspect against short ball. But, didn't expect him to be dropped for home Test so early, particularly when they have retained Malan & Stoneman (& both is likely to start). Moeen is similar aged, still with a better batting average (his home average is much higher than away), and he offers off spin. We were talking about Moeen being deputy or even a shot a Captaincy less than a year back!!!!!!

    I think, they'll bring him in for IND series. ENG might win both Tests, but those 2 batsmen are not going to establish themselves against PAK attack.
    It's probably for the best in hindsight because he could do with some time away from cricket, in the Ashes things were going to be very tough regardless but he had fitness issues with the finger and hamstring injuries, and the prep was pour as well, never got the chance to spend some time in the middle during the tour games before the Test series. Stokes was out for obvious reasons and someone like Mo in the past had been great for the overall team balance / utility so they went with him regardless.

    Despite his fitness issues or the constantly alternating roles, Mo has done his best in those circumstances and rarely made a big deal out of it his work ethic and attitude have been first class. He should make his way back eventually, if you're Joe Root you'd be silly not to want such an option available and some are crying scapegoat but I don't believe that to be true, he's a very popular guy in the dressing room.


    Ah, so this is what it feels like

  55. #55
    Debut
    Aug 2016
    Runs
    156
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaz619 View Post
    Maybe he should be dropped but during that bad run of form people forget his prep for the tour was poor and he was playing injured , the guy wasn't 100% fit. His role has hardly been defined but he has done a good job for England despite that and will be back, very few can match his prowess at home especially and we saw what he did to the Indians last time
    I think that he was unlucky to be dropped as Aus tours are horrible for spinners and his injury but I think going to IPL lost him his place in the end. Mo probably knew his spot was at risk but he chose to go to IPL rather than put in some FC performances which was the wrong choice as a few good performances could've convinced selectors he hasn't lost it.

    Hopefully he comes back from IPL and puts in some good performances for Worcestershire in time for Indian series

  56. #56
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    20,413
    Mentioned
    341 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Buttler is an interesting choice. If backed he can do a good job in tests. Not the best England squad selected but they are always strong in home conditions.

  57. #57
    Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    28,447
    Mentioned
    926 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    What's Ben Foakes done wrong ?

  58. #58
    Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Sweden
    Runs
    3,366
    Mentioned
    444 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Man for man, England vs. Pakistan is a mismatch in England's favor. They lead us 9-0 with two possible draws when comparing players.

    However, England vs. India is a 3-2 in India's favor with 6 draws. The journalists are already hyping up that series as the series of the decade and I seem to fall for the hype. This Eng vs. Ind series has full potential to be an epic tussle.


    it's written. an akmal will never be a hero.

  59. #59
    Debut
    Dec 2014
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    5,112
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoUgandaCranes View Post
    Man for man, England vs. Pakistan is a mismatch in England's favor. They lead us 9-0 with two possible draws when comparing players.

    However, England vs. India is a 3-2 in India's favor with 6 draws. The journalists are already hyping up that series as the series of the decade and I seem to fall for the hype. This Eng vs. Ind series has full potential to be an epic tussle.
    Between 2 flawed teams. Both of these teams are not a patch on good teams of the past.
    I think we can shake England up and if Azhar Ali can turn his fortunes around and have a good series, we can beat them


    If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got #improve

  60. #60
    Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Sweden
    Runs
    3,366
    Mentioned
    444 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah View Post
    Between 2 flawed teams. Both of these teams are not a patch on good teams of the past.
    I think we can shake England up and if Azhar Ali can turn his fortunes around and have a good series, we can beat them
    This is arguably England's most talented bunch ever barring one or two slots. Two genuine all-round options in Stokes and Woakes, two 400 plus wicket takers in Broad and Anderson, and even the option of playing Wood a possibly 90 mile plus bowler.

    Add to that Cook and Root - two of their best bats ever. Throw in Bairstow that's 8 top class players. I don't know when England was this exciting barring one brief ashes series against Australia.


    it's written. an akmal will never be a hero.

  61. #61
    Debut
    Dec 2014
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    5,112
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoUgandaCranes View Post
    This is arguably England's most talented bunch ever barring one or two slots. Two genuine all-round options in Stokes and Woakes, two 400 plus wicket takers in Broad and Anderson, and even the option of playing Wood a possibly 90 mile plus bowler.

    Add to that Cook and Root - two of their best bats ever. Throw in Bairstow that's 8 top class players. I don't know when England was this exciting barring one brief ashes series against Australia.
    These guys have had it handed to them when going aus ind use, even losing in nz


    If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got #improve

  62. #62
    Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Sweden
    Runs
    3,366
    Mentioned
    444 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah View Post
    These guys have had it handed to them when going aus ind use, even losing in nz
    I've learned in the last few years that cricket is almost 60 percent conditions and 40 percent skill.

    Give a raging turner, put Kohli on it versus Nawaz and the odds will favor Nawaz more than Kohli. And if you say Kohli isn't that great, put any great from past, present, or even future and the same will hold true.

    Derek Underwood used to clean up teams on damp pitches for fun and even earned the nickname deadly.

    Broad in Australia and Broad in Nottingham are two different things and that's what cricket is and there's nothing wrong about it.


    it's written. an akmal will never be a hero.

  63. #63
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    3,716
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoUgandaCranes View Post
    Man for man, England vs. Pakistan is a mismatch in England's favor. They lead us 9-0 with two possible draws when comparing players.

    However, England vs. India is a 3-2 in India's favor with 6 draws. The journalists are already hyping up that series as the series of the decade and I seem to fall for the hype. This Eng vs. Ind series has full potential to be an epic tussle.
    Agreed.

    I think IND will win the series this summer as they will get conditions like we did in 2016.

    They have better bowling and batting; fielding, the less said the better.

  64. #64
    Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Sweden
    Runs
    3,366
    Mentioned
    444 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManFan View Post
    Agreed.

    I think IND will win the series this summer as they will get conditions like we did in 2016.

    They have better bowling and batting; fielding, the less said the better.
    Yes, they seem motivated to win this time. Pujara is already in England and Kohli will spend a month there. I love how India has transformed its cricketing identity 180 degree.


    it's written. an akmal will never be a hero.

  65. #65
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    3,716
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My bet is on JYB to be leading-run-scorer in the series.

  66. #66
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    3,716
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoUgandaCranes View Post
    Yes, they seem motivated to win this time. Pujara is already in England and Kohli will spend a month there. I love how India has transformed its cricketing identity 180 degree.
    Their bowling has improved leaps and bounds since the last time they toured.

    They should have won 2-1 in SA if not for stupid management decisions.
    Last edited by hadi123; 16th May 2018 at 13:30.

  67. #67
    Debut
    Dec 2007
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    6,125
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Come on Sarfaraz let's keep the streak going

    England hasn't defeated Pakistan in the past 8 years (all under Misbah)!

    Let's keep the streak ALIVE

  68. #68
    Debut
    Apr 2017
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    5,451
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasan123 View Post
    Malan was picked because of an innings he played in a T20 versus South Africa.

    Nice try though.
    Why was he picked for the T20 squad? PSL. Nice try though.
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 16th May 2018 at 23:34.

  69. #69
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    20,413
    Mentioned
    341 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by babajee View Post
    Why was he picked for the T20 squad? PSL. Nice try though.

    You don’t always have to be Mamoon’s chamchay.
    He was picked for T20s because he averages 33 in domestic T20 and because England wanted to try a new middle order player.

    Nothing to do with Mamoon. I'm giving you the facts as I live in the UK.

  70. #70
    Debut
    Apr 2017
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    5,451
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasan123 View Post
    He was picked for T20s because he averages 33 in domestic T20 and because England wanted to try a new middle order player.

    Nothing to do with Mamoon. I'm giving you the facts as I live in the UK.
    I also live in the UK.

    You think England selected Buttler because of IPL? Because by that logic they selected Malan for the T20 squad based on PSL.

  71. #71
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    20,413
    Mentioned
    341 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by babajee View Post
    I also live in the UK.

    You think England selected Buttler because of IPL? Because by that logic they selected Malan for the T20 squad based on PSL.

    Buttler was selected because he was in good form but also there aren't any many opitions in domestic cricket.

    Don't think IPL played a massive part in his selection.

  72. #72
    Debut
    Dec 2009
    Runs
    13,421
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasan123 View Post
    Buttler was selected because he was in good form but also there aren't any many opitions in domestic cricket.

    Don't think IPL played a massive part in his selection.
    Butler was selected as he can be a back up keeper, and there's little batting talent available, so better to go with someone a bit experienced.

    Must say England's talent stocks at the moment look at an all time low. They're scooping out guys who average low 30s who had a good previous season, hoping they'll somehow keep that alive (rather than returning to previous form).

    The only batsman I can think who's consistently performing well/good record in English domestic is Gary Ballance. But he looked so dreadful in his recent outings, England are trying to look for other options.

  73. #73
    Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    3,394
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ads101 View Post
    Butler was selected as he can be a back up keeper, and there's little batting talent available, so better to go with someone a bit experienced.

    Must say England's talent stocks at the moment look at an all time low. They're scooping out guys who average low 30s who had a good previous season, hoping they'll somehow keep that alive (rather than returning to previous form).

    The only batsman I can think who's consistently performing well/good record in English domestic is Gary Ballance. But he looked so dreadful in his recent outings, England are trying to look for other options.
    Doubt his keeping came into it at all. They want to get Bairstow further up the order and to do that they need someone at 7. We don't need another bowling option so they want an aggressive batsman such as Buttler to fill the slot.

    In terms of batting talent Joe Clarke is my tip for one to look out for. Wouldn't be surprised to see him in the reckoning for all formats in the next couple of years.

  74. #74
    Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    14,939
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ane do....

  75. #75
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    New Delhi
    Runs
    4,834
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I have a feeling Pakistan will win 2-0’in England... England looks out of sorts and Pakistan has a young team who are hungry to prov themselves.. I would back Pakistan to win this series 2-0, they are 60% favourites for me.

  76. #76
    Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    7,852
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jos Buttler was selected because I made a thread on PP about him being such a great talent and needs to be backed by ECB some days ago.

    Hence, posters should give credit to the real man because of which Buttler returned back in test team and not any Tom, Dick and Harry.

    It is very injustice and disrespectful to me although one should not feel embarassed with that because I am a very joyful personality.
    Last edited by Ab Fan; 15th May 2018 at 18:38.

  77. #77
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    781
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was expecting james vince to survive instead of stoneman considering their current form. And vince scored 200 day before selection meeting.
    So that means root is back to no.3 and buttler will bat at no.7 and I think this pattern will continue till india series only stoneman's place in threat now in batting order.

  78. #78
    Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    23,817
    Mentioned
    687 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    If everyone was in form I would probably pick:

    Hameed
    Gubbins
    Cook
    Root (capt.)
    Bairstow
    Stokes
    Foakes (w)
    Broad
    Wood
    Anderson
    Crane

    Bit if a long tail, mind....

  79. #79
    Debut
    Feb 2011
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    11,341
    Mentioned
    327 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Looks like a very strong squad tbh


    You are not a drop in the ocean - You are the entire ocean in a drop
    - Rumi

  80. #80
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    91,413
    Mentioned
    1645 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    Name:  IMG_20180516_090234.jpg
Views: 1071
Size:  31.3 KB


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •