Debut
    May 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oman, the ideal model state?

In Oman everyone is allowed to worship whatever religion, they have mosques, temples, churches etc... Also unlike other gulf states, Oman is not driven by capitalism, Oman has largely stayed away from Dubai style capitalism, which unfortunately drives modern day slavery, instead it has the best health care system in the Middle East and one of the best education systems in the region. Oman also wants peace in the region, it has played a pivotal role in the conflict between Shia Iran and Wahabhi Arabia. Oman is one of the most tolerant/peaceful countries in the world Why can't other countries in the region including Pakistan follow Oman' example?

Debut
    Sep 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its foreign policy is quite neutral which is a good thing.

I am not sure about the healthcare thing.

Its very sparsely populated though, probably 4 times the size of UAE, with one third the people

Pakistan is different from Oman in many ways so following example is not that easy

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    629 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't ever want to live in the Gulf again, but if I had to, I would choose Oman.

They aren't as filthy rich as the other states in that region, and consequently are far nicer people to get along with. I've met quite a few Omanis both in Qatar and then in the US, and they don't exude the entitled, arrogant air of their neighbors.

Their geography is far more interesting and diverse than the monotonous flat desert found elsewhere in the region.

And there's a Pakistani connection: not only are they the Gulf state closest in geography, they owned part of Pakistan once: Gwadar was purchased from them. To this day, you will find many Omanis with the last name of Al-Balushi, obviously derived from "Balochi." I've met a few who still speak Balochi and sometimes even a little Urdu, in addition to Arabic.

What I find most fascinating is that they are the only majority Ibadi country in the world, which means they aren't Shia or Sunni. I've never really understood exactly what Ibadism entails, but it does set them apart from all other countries in the region.

Silver-tongued seraphim circling the spire...
    Gather in the gallery in their best attire...

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm amazed at how underpopulated Gulf Arab states are I mean Saudi is massive but exclude the foreigners and you only have 22 million people, oman only 4 million, compare that to Bangladesh 180 million and slightly bigger than oman.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The fertile Indo-Gangetic plains drew a lot of migrants. Even now the plains of Punjab and Sindh draw more migrants from western Pakistan than vice versa. You can read up about the historical migrations of Baloch and Pashruns to the Indus plains but you'll never hear of people moving the deserts and mountains for a better life.

"Be the best version of yourself"

Debut
    Sep 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nostalgic View Post

What I find most fascinating is that they are the only majority Ibadi country in the world, which means they aren't Shia or Sunni. I've never really understood exactly what Ibadism entails, but it does set them apart from all other countries in the region.
    Another fascinating fact, don't know if it has anything to do with their sect, is that black magic is quite common there

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    350 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Oman is a nice place, but it isn't a location where you would want to reside long term.

The proof of the pudding lies in the eating: how many people do you see queuing up to board a flight to Muscat, versus other parts of the world?

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LongHorn View Post
    Another fascinating fact, don't know if it has anything to do with their sect, is that black magic is quite common there
    Yes and the capital of "black magic" there is Bahla. My best friend (who sadly passed away) was from there and the mere mention of Bahla made many people involuntarily take a step back. A Yemeni cop once stopped us for speeding and let us go when he found out the driver was from Bahla.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    What drives their economy? Could they still be the ideal state without oil?

I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman