User Tag List

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4681 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)

Magic in Multan (2005) as Shoaib Akhtar and Danish Kaneria stun England with 7 wickets between them

Just watching highlights of this Test on sky, am so pumped watching Akhtar run in; he was like a Boeing 747 on after burners and oh my god in heaven! that delivery to ashley giles what a spell from him on a surface like that, no one quiet like his breed.

Danish Kaneria was an extremely special bowler, he had every trick in the book and we forget his match winning spells so easily; it was unfortunate that Kamran was his keeper but he had one hell of a career beyond that and is arguably Pakistan's best leggie ever.

Really enjoyed watching this clip today, from Akhtar/Kaneria stunning England, Inzi unleashing with emotion and the smile on Bob Woolmers face, made me heart feel happy

Those were the days, really enjoyed that run. And it was one hell of a Test series victory, England were coming off their greatest triumph in that famous ashes series in 2005.

What are your favourite memories of the Test Match in Multan and the Test Series in general ?

Ah, so this is what it feels like

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4681 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    706 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaz619 View Post
    Just watching highlights of this Test on sky, am so pumped watching Akhtar run in; he was like a Boeing 747 on after burners and oh my god in heaven! that delivery to ashley giles what a spell from him on a surface like that, no one quiet like his breed.

Danish Kaneria was an extremely special bowler, he had every trick in the book and we forget his match winning spells so easily; it was unfortunate that Kamran was his keeper but he had one hell of a career beyond that and is arguably Pakistan's best leggie ever.

Really enjoyed watching this clip today, from Akhtar/Kaneria stunning England, Inzi unleashing with emotion and the smile on Bob Woolmers face, made me heart feel happy

Those were the days, really enjoyed that run. And it was one hell of a Test series victory, England were coming off their greatest triumph in that famous ashes series in 2005.

What are your favourite memories of the Test Match in Multan and the Test Series in general ?
    Afridi dancing on the pitch

'There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold'

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4681 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    And man what an incredible atmosphere enjoying a Test Match in the subcontinent ! we took those crowds for granted, those fans in Multan were awesome

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4681 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikhil_cric View Post
    Afridi dancing on the pitch
    Didn't England draw level with you just after that

Debut
    Mar 2009
    Venue
    UK England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember watching this live. It was pure magic

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7410 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Is this the match where Kaneria stumbles and falls while celebrating a wicket? That was definitely an iconic moment. Remember watching this as a kid. Such a glorious match, man I miss Shoaib so much.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4681 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Devil View Post
    Is this the match where Kaneria stumbles and falls while celebrating a wicket? That was definitely an iconic moment. Remember watching this as a kid. Such a glorious match, man I miss Shoaib so much.
    I think so lmao then he got up and we saw those big teeth even more shiny but not as shiny as Kamran Akmals though after dropping yet another catch. Same here, Akhtar was one of a kind @Chief Destroyer

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4681 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adzzy786 View Post
    I remember watching this live. It was pure magic
    Indeed my friend indeed, nothing quiet like watching these certified mega stars perform at the elite level live. I had the pleasure of watching Akhtar bowl when he was over here in England 8 years ago, easily the highlight among all the international games which I've attended in my life time

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Yeah it was a crazy game - we were well below par with our 1st innings score on a flat track.

I think Trescothick scored 190 odd before we set England a tricky 4th innings total.

Akhtar and Kaneria were magnificent, especially Akhtar with his subtle changes of pace, taking the pitch out of the equation.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Saudi Arabia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was on pakistan vacation before eid in 2015. It was the last ashra. I remember the first day of multan test, Flintoff had taken many key wickets and inzamamam had to grind out a marvelous fifty under pressure. Also Shaun udal made his debut

The second innings was awesomebowling wise . We talked about that 150 kph yorker by shoaib for weeks after that. Also Salman butt hit a very good century in the second innings.

The second test is very memorable for me in this series as it is the only match i have seen in a stadium in my life. I was in Waqar younis stand & lucky to see my hero Inzi get to his 23rd test 100. My throat was extremely hoarse after cheering nonstop for hours that day.

But the fans were more disappointed at Afridi getting out at 92( He hit lot of sixes hitting the commentary stands walls were adjacent to waqar younis stand) & lot of folks started leaving after he got out. I never was an Afridi fan and still am not but that incident opened my eyes as to how popular he was always been among the regular joes of pakistan.

Everybody was ****** about the harmison throw as it was a very paindoo type of stadium. There were no screens or shades, so nobody had clue whether inzi's feet was inside the crease or not. We had to see the highlights on ten sports in the evening to understand what had happened. We left after about four hours during which there was a cylinder blast in the stadium which gave fans & english players a hell of a scare.

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Occupied Kashmir
    Runs
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Any highlights?

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Saudi Arabia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also another memory of series is of shabbir ahmed's bowling action being reported which got him banned and Hassan raza's return after long time which saw him get out at 0 & 1 respectively.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1940 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    It was a spectacular match to watch. I think Akhtar introduced his deadly slower ball in that series. The English bats were so early on the slower ball that they could have played their shots twice and the ball still wouldn't have arrived. I just loved this series.

Mein inko rolaonga

Debut
    Jan 2000
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was a fluke win 👍👍👍.

One of the few series where Shoaib was fully fit through and kept coming at the opposition. Loved every second of it!

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    Pan ka Khoka
    Runs
    Mentioned
    790 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    This is probably one of the best cricketing memories I have had in my life! Cricket was my only escape back in those days and boy oh boy did we put on a show in this Test!

I just wish I could go back and relive that entire experience all over again.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Venue
    Peoria, IL
    Runs
    Mentioned
    270 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I remember Inzy scoring centuries in both innings of the 2nd test!

I was hoping we could win that Test too but England held on for a draw.

I was soo nervous for the 3rd test in Lahore and was skeptical we might lose and draw the series. We were in a spot of bother at 200/5 and Inzy had to be retired hurt but MoYo and Kammy just blew them away!

I believe MoYo's 223 in the 3rd test was his highest score in Test cricket and we on that Test by an innings defeat.

Amazing memories bro!

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Venue
    Peoria, IL
    Runs
    Mentioned
    270 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TQ89 View Post
    Also another memory of series is of shabbir ahmed's bowling action being reported which got him banned and Hassan raza's return after long time which saw him get out at 0 & 1 respectively.
    I believe that series was also the last of Asim Kamal.

He never played for Pakistan again after that.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Venue
    Peoria, IL
    Runs
    Mentioned
    270 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Last edited by Abdullah719; 4th June 2018 at 16:46.

Debut
    Jan 2008
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    There hasn't been a more entertaining fast bowler than Akhtar. The current lot is really bland in comparison.

May the Hawks Fly Forever. Lightning Hawks CC -- Team Thread.

Debut
    Sep 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where's Kaneria these days? Four years plus since the charges levelled against him

Debut
    Dec 2007
    Venue
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    266 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Wonderful memories. This and India 2005 away and 2006 home are legendary.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1940 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kingusama92 View Post
    There hasn't been a more entertaining fast bowler than Akhtar. The current lot is really bland in comparison.
    We tend to think back to days gone by as the "good ol' days" and only remember the good bits, however, with Akhtar's entertainment and excitement there were plenty of heartbreaks as well. Such as often bad performance where his own pace worked against him and he was crazy expensive, or disciplinary issues such as drugs or fighting with teammates/PCB, or partying too much during test matches resulting in him not showing up "ready" for the match the next day or the constant injuries that allowed him to hardly play a few series on the trot.

Mein inko rolaonga

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    Cybertron, Guest of Optimus Prime
    Runs
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Got this series on DVD, iNZAMAMS Invincibles..Loved this series..the crowd at Faisalabad in the second test was amazing..Loved the way we just surprised the english again and then beat them in the final test with Moyo and K.akmal hitting massive runs. England were coming off the 2005 ashes and were all cocky etc but we as usual taught them a lesson. I think we won the ODI series too..I watched this on Sky, waking up in the morning and getting that nervous feeling..seeing us at 181 odd for 4 and then tresco's hundred was ominous..Great great series!!

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Saudi Arabia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bhai Akhtar was a very big heartache in those days. I don't think we have had a bad boy worse than him our history. To be honest, he was lucky he played in pakistan so he got chance to extend his career to 15 years. If he were playing for some other country, they would have moved on from pretty quickly.

Debut
    Apr 2018
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remember watching Akhtar bowl Giles just prior to school early in the morning. Wish I didn't have to go in because this was an incredible game.

For those who want to relive it should consider getting the Inzamam's Invincibles DVD.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    891 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    After the euphoria of getting the Ashes back after those sixteen horrible years, this was down with a bump for England, then a more powerful side than the current mob.

Duncan Fletcher showed inflexibility there - Monty should have come in for Giles / Udal. He was out-planned by Woolmer.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4681 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TQ89 View Post
    I was on pakistan vacation before eid in 2015. It was the last ashra. I remember the first day of multan test, Flintoff had taken many key wickets and inzamamam had to grind out a marvelous fifty under pressure. Also Shaun udal made his debut

The second innings was awesomebowling wise . We talked about that 150 kph yorker by shoaib for weeks after that. Also Salman butt hit a very good century in the second innings.

The second test is very memorable for me in this series as it is the only match i have seen in a stadium in my life. I was in Waqar younis stand & lucky to see my hero Inzi get to his 23rd test 100. My throat was extremely hoarse after cheering nonstop for hours that day.

But the fans were more disappointed at Afridi getting out at 92( He hit lot of sixes hitting the commentary stands walls were adjacent to waqar younis stand) & lot of folks started leaving after he got out. I never was an Afridi fan and still am not but that incident opened my eyes as to how popular he was always been among the regular joes of pakistan.

Everybody was ****** about the harmison throw as it was a very paindoo type of stadium. There were no screens or shades, so nobody had clue whether inzi's feet was inside the crease or not. We had to see the highlights on ten sports in the evening to understand what had happened. We left after about four hours during which there was a cylinder blast in the stadium which gave fans & english players a hell of a scare.
    Great insight mate

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4681 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    We tend to think back to days gone by as the "good ol' days" and only remember the good bits, however, with Akhtar's entertainment and excitement there were plenty of heartbreaks as well. Such as often bad performance where his own pace worked against him and he was crazy expensive, or disciplinary issues such as drugs or fighting with teammates/PCB, or partying too much during test matches resulting in him not showing up "ready" for the match the next day or the constant injuries that allowed him to hardly play a few series on the trot.
    They were the good ol days, Akhtar had his flaws but it makes no sense to remember him for the negatives. No one thrilled like him and he made cricket fans out of millions of people. He did underachieve given his exceptional talent but he was an elite performer with pedigree and genuinely world class ( a word thrown around so easily by the bacha party in this era, note @Chief Destroyer) 178 wickets in Tests (A lot more then Shane Bond) and 247 wickets in ODI's is still a fantastic achievement; that too when you look at the stress his body was constantly under and the physical limitations he was born with. He may have been naughty at times but he never sold his country for a few quid and bowled his heart out. People are throwing around various theories about him not playing at the highest level for another nation, rubbish ! he would have taken at least 300-400 wickets under a more professional set up during the early part of his career and Bob Woolmer vindicated that.

Don't any of you ever dare criticise the Rawal Pindi Express, only Indians are allowed
    Last edited by shaz619; 5th June 2018 at 02:29.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4681 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    After the euphoria of getting the Ashes back after those sixteen horrible years, this was down with a bump for England, then a more powerful side than the current mob.

Duncan Fletcher showed inflexibility there - Monty should have come in for Giles / Udal. He was out-planned by Woolmer.
    I don't remember who but during that period one of the English pundits mentioned that England can never be considered the best in the world unless they win in Pakistan / India

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4681 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by msb314 View Post
    No man or woman born from their mother can ever tell me that Akhtar was not special

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4681 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Exactly, they run in as if they are in constant pain and don't really want to be there. I wouldn't be surprised if they have their mommy on speed dial in between overs ' Umi ji I have a pain in my leg, help ' absolutely sharamful if you ask me, no damn passion or fire. None of these blokes give me the impression that they can turn a game on its head with a brutal spell of searing fast trademark Pakistani bowling.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    I'm glad Shaun Udal has been mentioned

England really pull out some random spinners when on these Asian assignments. Reminds me of Gareth Batty going on that Bangladesh tour a couple of years ago.

Debut
    Mar 2018
    Venue
    Vancouver, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great example of why Kaneria might have been our greatest ever Test Spinner. Such an underrated part of our sides. And what more needs to be said about Akhtar. Pure sporting theatre and AAG

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4681 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rishta Aunty View Post
    Great example of why Kaneria might have been our greatest ever Test Spinner. Such an underrated part of our sides. And what more needs to be said about Akhtar. Pure sporting theatre and AAG
    Rishta Aunty knows the deal, a real MARD, no sissy.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4681 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markhor View Post

England really pull out some random spinners when on these Asian assignments. Reminds me of Gareth Batty going on that Bangladesh tour a couple of years ago.
    I remember when he was selected they always plunged some random clubby out of oblivion lol Will be a while before some one like Graeme comes along and even he should have played more Tests then he did but unfortunately was just too weak mentally

Debut
    Jan 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    758 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    What a great match and great series. Akhtar steaming in bamboozling the English batsman. The Pakistan players doing the kukar dance against Kevin Pietersen. Just the whole atmosphere of that series was great.

Debut
    Jan 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    758 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    England were the top dogs after beating Aus and back beat them back down to Earth.

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A very memorable series indeed ... Also Asif took 10+ wickets in the side match against England prior to the start of tests which marked his return to the team for ODI leg of the tour and eventually his return to test cricket after having played one solitary test against Australia.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Saudi Arabia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markhor View Post

That move paid dividends for them in the india tour that followed this series. He took key wickets in the Mumbai test match and cleaned up india's middle order to tie the test series.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4681 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    The days when MEN played cricket