Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

"For us to grow as a team, we need someone in that top six getting hundreds" : Mickey Arthur

Mickey Arthur speaking to Ian Ward after England beat Pakistan in the second Test at Headingley:

"Incredibly disappointed, that was a poor display from us. Coming off such a high at Lord's, we're all about trying to get the consistency right and about trying to get us playing in the right style and manner, so incredibly disappointed with what we've dished up here"

"We'll talk about it and have a hard discussion about it. But the dressing room is gutted and if we learn from this, it's a young team and we can grow, and grow quicker"

"We are trying to grow, it's a young dressing room and the guys are feeling what it's like to play tough Test cricket over an extended period. There's a lot of guys that haven't done that, only four have been in England before"

"Our expectation is still more and these guys will take it in the chin and hopefully grow and learn from it"

"Inconsistency is one of the things that comes with a young team, however hard that is to take for all of us at the moment"

"What the batsmen did right at Lord's is that they were patient, they committed to their defence and attack and showed intent. We got the balance wrong here, we weren't as disciplined and patient"

"We won what was a fairly good toss, there was always going to be something in the wicket but we had to get through a session and a half, then the sun came out and the conditions became really good for batting later in the day"

"If we got a big score, we could've put them under pressure but we could never do that at 180"

"The key thing we're going to discuss is that a number of batsmen got starts but didn't get hundreds, for us to grow as a team, we need someone in that top six getting hundreds consistently"

"The Buttler chance was massive, we knew the time it went down, it had the potential to be big and it was. I thought Shadab had bowled a good spell till then and it would've capped it off so nicely, in terms of the confirmance for him that he belongs as this level but it happens"

"I thought we fielded and caught well, I think we've done many things right in this series, just disappointed at the eventual outcome"

"I can't fault the players' effort, the way they've worked, they're hungry and determined and want to do well for Pakistan. Most of the players have advanced their cause and it confirms that we're on the right track. Yeah, we need to dish out a couple of hidings tonight but that's how they grow"

"The talent in the dressing room is phenomenal, we've just got to get the consistency back and that's what we're striving for as a coaching team"

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    926 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    That's a big issue which Mickey needs to address. I read that Haris, Babar and Sarfraz haven't scored FC hundreds in years whilst Imam only has 4 centuries in 38 FC matches. You can't expect to post totals of 400+ without at least one batsman making their innings count.

Some of these batsmen should look to Younis Khan and how he'd cash in on his starts.

Debut
    Jun 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bet Fawad Alam has more FC hundreds than most batsmen in Pak team.
    I think Imam ul Haq is not good enough, Fakhar should replace him in next
    tour.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Not much to argue with there. I am still to be convinced about some of the top order newcomers, but they deserve a chance. it's possible that the experience will stand them in good stead - I do think Imam might go on to be a decent opener, he has a good temperament.

I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, not having Sarfraz in the top 6 and a better opener than Imam would certainly help the chances of that occurring...

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markhor View Post
    That's a big issue which Mickey needs to address. I read that Haris, Babar and Sarfraz haven't scored FC hundreds in years whilst Imam only has 4 centuries in 38 FC matches. You can't expect to post totals of 400+ without at least one batsman making their innings count.

Some of these batsmen should look to Younis Khan and how he'd cash in on his starts.
    Not to worry, I'm sure all is well in First-Class cricket where there's many batsmen learning the art of building innings and piling on big scores on excellent, sporting pitches...

Debut
    Feb 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No one from English side scored a 100 Mickey, Buttler scored 80* thanks to 2 drop catches. Babar had 68* too with 1 drop catch. These were tough conditions and the youngsters did well. Blame lies more on Azhar, Asad and Sarfraz. In Asia you will see more hundreds but we need a wc player of spin, may be time to give Faadi a chance.

Sarfi as captain'll lead us to glory.Babar'll be our best odi bat & Haris'll be world class in tests

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    341 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Our domestic cricket doesn't allow players to bat for long enough to learn how to score big 100s. That's a big problem.

Debut
    Jan 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    755 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Yup likes of Haris Babar need to start getting daddy hundreds now. 50s wont cut it

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I think it’s all obliquely referring to azhar Asad and maybe Sarfaraz. And that’s fair. They need to cop it for this game

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markhor View Post

Why not select players in the team who have already scored 100s in domestic FC cricket?

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by srh View Post
    Why not select players in the team who have already scored 100s in domestic FC cricket?
    Haris has 11 FC hundreds.
    Usman has 20 FC hundreds.
    Saad Ali has 9 FC hundreds.
    Sami Aslam has 8 FC hundreds.

But everyone wants to get rid of them already so what's the point? May as well fire Inzi and have PP posters in charge so we can have a different squad of 15 for every match.
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 3rd June 2018 at 21:18.

Debut
    Feb 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post
    have PP posters in charge so we can have a different squad of 15 for every match.
    Hahahah quote of all time
    Best solution to all problems ;)

Sarfi as captain'll lead us to glory.Babar'll be our best odi bat & Haris'll be world class in tests

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

But everyone wants to get rid of them already so what's the point? May as well fire Inzi and have PP posters in charge so we can have a different squad of 15 for every match.
    It's their fault haris should have scored 6 or 7 centuries in the12 he has batted and I don't know why Usman didn't score 2 in this match.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only those team go with 5 batsmen which have very good WK batsman , not like Sarfaraz.

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This really should be directed at Azhar & Shafiq who were duds on this tour ... Infact time to move on from both of them!

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    260 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moghul View Post
    Only those team go with 5 batsmen which have very good WK batsman , not like Sarfaraz.
    Teams go with 5 batsmen if they have at least 2 batsmen who can score big hundreds regularly.

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sami has been utterly mediocre, he got his chances and did not avail them ... All they have to do is select the next man up until they find someone who can do the job ... It is NOT rocket science!

Haris is only 5 tests old, making a comeback after 2+ years, Usman just made his debut. They deserve more rope.

Azhar & Shafiq on other hand don't after playing over 100+ tests between them.

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Venue
    Jeddah
    Runs
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More quotes from Mickey Arthur :-

"Yes, it was very disappointing. We made such great strides during this tour so to lose this way was very disappointing"

"We talk about the fact that we wont win every game, but I can tell you that yesterday we surrendered"

"The growth of this team over this tour has been amazing"

"These young boys have worked unbelivably hard"

"Can't fault the efforts and we have made great strides on this tour as a Test team"

"That was part of our debrief yesterday [that] Azhar and Asad need to standup and get big runs for us"

"They [Azhar & Asad] are aware of it and they work extremely hard"

"I just hope that they will take over that mantle over when we get back to UAE against Australia and New Zealand"

"You are never satisfied [with 1-1 result], you want to win"

"We trained hard and we put in a hell of a lot of effort into this series"

"To get a 1-1 result is OK but we wanted to win it"

"Progress of these young players has been amazing and they will all be better for this tour for Pakistan cricket and its good for the direction we want to take this team [on]"
    Last edited by UN talkz; 4th June 2018 at 11:31.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Don't see us ascending from 7th/6th in the near future. 5-0 in England and South Africa awaits us, we will be lucky to even draw one match.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I second with Mickey and his vision for Pak cricket. Main issues that needs to be addressed:

1) Too less test matches [Long gaps between test series] : How on earth players like Azhar and Asad do well, when we are playing test matches after almost 6/7 months. This is really unfair to both the batsmen. Any good quality player can face slump because of less number of high standard cricket they play in an year. Also , considering the tough situations of UK, I think both have done reasonably well. But results could have been much better from both of them.

2) Issues with Sarfaraz batting : He needs time. And he seriously needs to come up the order in ODIs. He cant be hiding at number 6/7.