Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1266 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

"For us to grow as a team, we need someone in that top six getting hundreds" : Mickey Arthur

Mickey Arthur speaking to Ian Ward after England beat Pakistan in the second Test at Headingley:

"Incredibly disappointed, that was a poor display from us. Coming off such a high at Lord's, we're all about trying to get the consistency right and about trying to get us playing in the right style and manner, so incredibly disappointed with what we've dished up here"

"We'll talk about it and have a hard discussion about it. But the dressing room is gutted and if we learn from this, it's a young team and we can grow, and grow quicker"

"We are trying to grow, it's a young dressing room and the guys are feeling what it's like to play tough Test cricket over an extended period. There's a lot of guys that haven't done that, only four have been in England before"

"Our expectation is still more and these guys will take it in the chin and hopefully grow and learn from it"

"Inconsistency is one of the things that comes with a young team, however hard that is to take for all of us at the moment"

"What the batsmen did right at Lord's is that they were patient, they committed to their defence and attack and showed intent. We got the balance wrong here, we weren't as disciplined and patient"

"We won what was a fairly good toss, there was always going to be something in the wicket but we had to get through a session and a half, then the sun came out and the conditions became really good for batting later in the day"

"If we got a big score, we could've put them under pressure but we could never do that at 180"

"The key thing we're going to discuss is that a number of batsmen got starts but didn't get hundreds, for us to grow as a team, we need someone in that top six getting hundreds consistently"

"The Buttler chance was massive, we knew the time it went down, it had the potential to be big and it was. I thought Shadab had bowled a good spell till then and it would've capped it off so nicely, in terms of the confirmance for him that he belongs as this level but it happens"

"I thought we fielded and caught well, I think we've done many things right in this series, just disappointed at the eventual outcome"

"I can't fault the players' effort, the way they've worked, they're hungry and determined and want to do well for Pakistan. Most of the players have advanced their cause and it confirms that we're on the right track. Yeah, we need to dish out a couple of hidings tonight but that's how they grow"

"The talent in the dressing room is phenomenal, we've just got to get the consistency back and that's what we're striving for as a coaching team"

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    999 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    That's a big issue which Mickey needs to address. I read that Haris, Babar and Sarfraz haven't scored FC hundreds in years whilst Imam only has 4 centuries in 38 FC matches. You can't expect to post totals of 400+ without at least one batsman making their innings count.

Some of these batsmen should look to Younis Khan and how he'd cash in on his starts.

Debut
    Jun 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bet Fawad Alam has more FC hundreds than most batsmen in Pak team.
    I think Imam ul Haq is not good enough, Fakhar should replace him in next
    tour.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Not much to argue with there. I am still to be convinced about some of the top order newcomers, but they deserve a chance. it's possible that the experience will stand them in good stead - I do think Imam might go on to be a decent opener, he has a good temperament.

I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, not having Sarfraz in the top 6 and a better opener than Imam would certainly help the chances of that occurring...

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1266 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markhor View Post
    That's a big issue which Mickey needs to address. I read that Haris, Babar and Sarfraz haven't scored FC hundreds in years whilst Imam only has 4 centuries in 38 FC matches. You can't expect to post totals of 400+ without at least one batsman making their innings count.

Some of these batsmen should look to Younis Khan and how he'd cash in on his starts.
    Not to worry, I'm sure all is well in First-Class cricket where there's many batsmen learning the art of building innings and piling on big scores on excellent, sporting pitches...

Debut
    Feb 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No one from English side scored a 100 Mickey, Buttler scored 80* thanks to 2 drop catches. Babar had 68* too with 1 drop catch. These were tough conditions and the youngsters did well. Blame lies more on Azhar, Asad and Sarfraz. In Asia you will see more hundreds but we need a wc player of spin, may be time to give Faadi a chance.

Sarfi as captain'll lead us to glory.Babar'll be our best odi bat & Haris'll be world class in tests

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    370 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Our domestic cricket doesn't allow players to bat for long enough to learn how to score big 100s. That's a big problem.

Debut
    Jan 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    755 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Yup likes of Haris Babar need to start getting daddy hundreds now. 50s wont cut it

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    195 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I think it’s all obliquely referring to azhar Asad and maybe Sarfaraz. And that’s fair. They need to cop it for this game

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Why not select players in the team who have already scored 100s in domestic FC cricket?

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1266 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by srh View Post
    Why not select players in the team who have already scored 100s in domestic FC cricket?
    Haris has 11 FC hundreds.
    Usman has 20 FC hundreds.
    Saad Ali has 9 FC hundreds.
    Sami Aslam has 8 FC hundreds.

But everyone wants to get rid of them already so what's the point? May as well fire Inzi and have PP posters in charge so we can have a different squad of 15 for every match.
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 4th June 2018 at 03:48.

Debut
    Feb 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post
    have PP posters in charge so we can have a different squad of 15 for every match.
    Hahahah quote of all time
    Best solution to all problems ;)

Sarfi as captain'll lead us to glory.Babar'll be our best odi bat & Haris'll be world class in tests

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

But everyone wants to get rid of them already so what's the point? May as well fire Inzi and have PP posters in charge so we can have a different squad of 15 for every match.
    It's their fault haris should have scored 6 or 7 centuries in the12 he has batted and I don't know why Usman didn't score 2 in this match.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only those team go with 5 batsmen which have very good WK batsman , not like Sarfaraz.

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This really should be directed at Azhar & Shafiq who were duds on this tour ... Infact time to move on from both of them!

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    267 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moghul View Post
    Only those team go with 5 batsmen which have very good WK batsman , not like Sarfaraz.
    Teams go with 5 batsmen if they have at least 2 batsmen who can score big hundreds regularly.

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sami has been utterly mediocre, he got his chances and did not avail them ... All they have to do is select the next man up until they find someone who can do the job ... It is NOT rocket science!

Haris is only 5 tests old, making a comeback after 2+ years, Usman just made his debut. They deserve more rope.

Azhar & Shafiq on other hand don't after playing over 100+ tests between them.

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Venue
    Jeddah
    Runs
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More quotes from Mickey Arthur :-

"Yes, it was very disappointing. We made such great strides during this tour so to lose this way was very disappointing"

"We talk about the fact that we wont win every game, but I can tell you that yesterday we surrendered"

"The growth of this team over this tour has been amazing"

"These young boys have worked unbelivably hard"

"Can't fault the efforts and we have made great strides on this tour as a Test team"

"That was part of our debrief yesterday [that] Azhar and Asad need to standup and get big runs for us"

"They [Azhar & Asad] are aware of it and they work extremely hard"

"I just hope that they will take over that mantle over when we get back to UAE against Australia and New Zealand"

"You are never satisfied [with 1-1 result], you want to win"

"We trained hard and we put in a hell of a lot of effort into this series"

"To get a 1-1 result is OK but we wanted to win it"

"Progress of these young players has been amazing and they will all be better for this tour for Pakistan cricket and its good for the direction we want to take this team [on]"
    Last edited by UN talkz; 4th June 2018 at 18:01.

Meri Barbaadiyan Durust Magar...
    Too Bata Kya Tujhe Sawaab Mila...

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I second with Mickey and his vision for Pak cricket. Main issues that needs to be addressed:

1) Too less test matches [Long gaps between test series] : How on earth players like Azhar and Asad do well, when we are playing test matches after almost 6/7 months. This is really unfair to both the batsmen. Any good quality player can face slump because of less number of high standard cricket they play in an year. Also , considering the tough situations of UK, I think both have done reasonably well. But results could have been much better from both of them.

2) Issues with Sarfaraz batting : He needs time. And he seriously needs to come up the order in ODIs. He cant be hiding at number 6/7.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1266 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    No hundreds in SA so far.

Doesn't help that the only batsmen who are (relatively) good at scoring hundreds in FC cricket i.e. Fawad Alam, Usman Salahuddin, Haris Sohail and Saad Ali aren't in the team for different reasons.

Anyway, until the pitches don't improve in domestic cricket, this problem will continue.

Debut
    Feb 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    And yet you dropped Usman and Saad and didnt pick Abid.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    999 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Okay then why is Usman Salahuddin, Fawad Alam and Abid Ali ignored ? These are some of the most consistent centurymakers in domestic cricket who are being ignored.

Instead you are picking Shafiq because he looks good at the crease, Azhar because he is senior, Sarfraz who hasn't scored a century in years, and minnow bashers like Imam.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    London, England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Very hard for top 6 batsman to get 100's when two of the most experienced batsman in the team are going out for ducks.

Debut
    Mar 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    16% 50 to 100 conversion rate for our batsmen in the last 2 years. Lowest of all Test playing nations.

Debut
    Dec 2014
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Babar has to take some blame today. Sarfaraz was happy go lucky, but he had shadab and faheem after sarfaraz who can play. Awful shot, but it is his first self inflicted dismissal of the tour

If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got #improve

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1754 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post

And thatís with two so-called Ďall roundersí brought into the team to strengthen the lower order batting , thatís a plan thatís worked well then.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only way this team can grow is to induct youngsters who have proven themselves and remove the current seniors who have failed in the last 10 games. We need to include Saad, Saud , and Rizwan who are better than the current hacks. India has allready inducted youngsters like Pant. Why arenít we doing the same?

Debut
    Oct 2007
    Venue
    Amsterdam / Faisalabad
    Runs
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Might happen once Mickey realizes Asad and Azhar are done.

When will this happen? They are really lucky that there is no test cricket in the next 10 months so Asad Azhar will have all the time in the world to show their worth in FC.

"You aren't a failure if you fail, you are a failure if you don't get up to try again" - Imran Khan.

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    946 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Then you should have included Salahudin and Saad in the 11.

They were picked, but no opportunity given and the useless selector won't pick them now.

The useless one is the biggest culprit, but Micky has also played his part.

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    maybe if they inducted some domestic batsmen who have made consistent hundreds over the years we wouldnt be having this issue

just a thought

If pakistan cricket is to move forward they need to stop going back

Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    664 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Picking 5 batsmen in this test including two seniors who are failures and a tail that starts at 6 with 2 so called all rounders after who combined are just about 1 player.

Time for proper new batsmen to come into the team.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember many years ago in 90s discussing with a friend and complaining how Pakistani batsmen these days (Saeed Anwar, Ijaz, Inzamam and co.) would only get 100s and did not have the ability like Miandad and Zaheer to go on and score big 150s and double tons.

And then I remember in the 2000s/2010s complaining that these modern day batsmen like Nazir, Farhat, Hameed, Shezad, Akmals get 50s, 60s and 70s but dont have it in them to score 100s regularly like their seniors.

But never in wildest dreams did I imagine we will be moving on the next generation of Pakistani batsmen who will look like the best batsmen in the team and walk out with pride knowing they have cemented their places, having only scored quarter-centuries (25s).

"Lack of Form is Temporary, Lack of Class is Permanent" -- dedicated to The Honorable Professor.

Debut
    Oct 2007
    Venue
    Amsterdam / Faisalabad
    Runs
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Majid Khan View Post
    I remember many years ago in 90s discussing with a friend and complaining how Pakistani batsmen these days (Saeed Anwar, Ijaz, Inzamam and co.) would only get 100s and did not have the ability like Miandad and Zaheer to go on and score big 150s and double tons.

And then I remember in the 2000s/2010s complaining that these modern day batsmen like Nazir, Farhat, Hameed, Shezad, Akmals get 50s, 60s and 70s but dont have it in them to score 100s regularly like their seniors.

But never in wildest dreams did I imagine we will be moving on the next generation of Pakistani batsmen who will look like the best batsmen in the team and walk out with pride knowing they have cemented their places, having only scored quarter-centuries (25s).
    Well said. It sums up the state of Pakistan cricket perfectly.

Leaving T20 cricket aside we are at the level of WI, SL and Zim at the moment with batsmen failing to survive 30 balls let alone a session!

It's the harsh reality, once we accept this something might change at grass root level. Things can not continue like this. Guys under 16 need a more professionalized nurturing in order to revive Pakistani cricket.

"You aren't a failure if you fail, you are a failure if you don't get up to try again" - Imran Khan.

Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    664 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaz View Post
    maybe if they inducted some domestic batsmen who have made consistent hundreds over the years we wouldnt be having this issue

just a thought
    Such thoughts are wasted. Seniors wont be dropped and Inzi only selects other batsmen as token gesture back ups

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince of Pakistan View Post

Leaving T20 cricket aside we are at the level of WI, SL and Zim at the moment with batsmen failing to survive 30 balls let alone a session!

It's the harsh reality, once we accept this something might change at grass root level. Things can not continue like this. Guys under 16 need a more professionalized nurturing in order to revive Pakistani cricket.
    And the main reason the Pakistan team is good at T20 level is itís the only format where you can get away with the batsmen combining to deliver an innings total of 150 or 160, with 3 quarter-centurions scoring majestic 30s and 40s.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    999 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)

Sadly we seem content with our mediocrity. Happy to be a big fish in the meaningless pond of T20Is where only we play full strength teams.

Like the last three dismal winters, amnesia will set in once we hear the PSL jingle and we distract ourselves with six weeks of second rate competition.

Then with the World Cup looming the problems of the Test side will be ignored, and we stumble onwards !

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Mississauga
    Runs
    Mentioned
    866 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Micky Arthur and Grant Flower should be removed after WC , Pakistan need someone like Andy Flower as Director of cricket , and given long term plans to develop a team , rather than looking for short term .

Debut
    Aug 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by majid khan View Post
    i remember many years ago in 90s discussing with a friend and complaining how pakistani batsmen these days (saeed anwar, ijaz, inzamam and co.) would only get 100s and did not have the ability like miandad and zaheer to go on and score big 150s and double tons.

And then i remember in the 2000s/2010s complaining that these modern day batsmen like nazir, farhat, hameed, shezad, akmals get 50s, 60s and 70s but dont have it in them to score 100s regularly like their seniors.

But never in wildest dreams did i imagine we will be moving on the next generation of pakistani batsmen who will look like the best batsmen in the team and walk out with pride knowing they have cemented their places, having only scored quarter-centuries (25s).
    potw

Debut
    Oct 2007
    Venue
    Amsterdam / Faisalabad
    Runs
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sadly we seem content with our mediocrity. Happy to be a big fish in the meaningless pond of T20Is where only we play full strength teams.

Like the last three dismal winters, amnesia will set in once we hear the PSL jingle and we distract ourselves with six weeks of second rate competition.

Then with the World Cup looming the problems of the Test side will be ignored, and we stumble onwards !
    it's time that people accepted our mediocrity in REAL cricket.

Enjoy T20 all you want, but you cannot forgive these performances against a pretty weak SA side. Once people get real the people in the PCB might be forced to take things seriously.
    Last edited by MenInG; 13th January 2019 at 11:50.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Chicago
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    It's time that people accepted our mediocrity in REAL cricket.

Enjoy T20 all you want, but you cannot forgive these performances against a pretty weak SA side. Once people get real the people in the PCB might be forced to take things seriously.
    It's not a weak SA bowling. It's probably their best ever. Yes the failures are a bit because of the lack of skill, like Azhar with short stuff, but it is.more to do with lack of partnerships.

One batsman at the top has to.stand like a rock while others play around him. It's similar to one bowler attacking and the rest supporting by not leaking any runs and keeping the pressure.

Babar is wasted at the bottom. He can be the guy that can score hundreds. He should have been slotted at 4 in this test. Mickey can say what ever he wants but if you keep repeating the same mistakes and expect different results, you are stupid. There is no reason for Babar to languish at 6.
    Last edited by MenInG; 13th January 2019 at 11:50.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1515 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    It would be nice if the whole of the top 6 managed to score 100 runs between them.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    370 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Than select batters who can score 100s and not ones who play due to experience.

Debut
    Apr 2007
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Entire batting lineup is getting out on one specific delivery aka short ball, there is hardly any other magic. A new comer bowler has taken 15 wickets just on short ball, this is not a mystery but a glaring technical flaw.

One of the main reason is playing in uae, which has extremely low and slow bounce, now we are playing at extremely high and fast wickets, thatís why in last 10 years when we go to SA and AUS, not just we loose big we look like loosing by innings and under 3 days, thanks again to our uae setup, where mediocre talent escape reality check. We live by Azhar, Hafeez, Shafiq, Misbah for 10 years without knowing their real quality, every body was always pointing to their fake 40+ avg reason for not dumping them.

Not playing at home is really costing us big time, we cannot produce quality fast bowler or batsman in our current setup, as I mention earlier we are not investing in home grounds nor uae is quality setup, itís regression from what we had in Pakistan. We never played on such low and slow wickets so consistently, poor habits seeps into the team, plus fast bowler has no role to play...Quality of domestic grounds go unchecked means 120k bowlers have avg in teens, those are all useless trundlers. Pakistan has not produced fast bowler since Amir, who is shadow of his past. Accidentally that was the time we left home and camped into desert. Everything has gone south from that point. Policies of Amry has not just effected social and economic prosperity but Cricket is ruined for good as well
    Last edited by yasir; 13th January 2019 at 09:36.

Debut
    Dec 2005
    Venue
    Sharjah, U.A.E
    Runs
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Azhar Ali, Asad Shafiq and Sarfraz Ahmed are the sole reason we have bombed in Test cricket since MisYou retired. Everyone else, despite being young and inexperienced, have done their bit and infact carried the team from time to time. Specially disappointed by how Azhar and Shafiq have literally crashed and done absolutely zilch, when so much was expected of them.

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Venue
    Queen of Arabian Sea
    Runs
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Usman Chadda View Post
    Azhar Ali, Asad Shafiq and Sarfraz Ahmed are the sole reason we have bombed in Test cricket since MisYou retired. Everyone else, despite being young and inexperienced, have done their bit and infact carried the team from time to time. Specially disappointed by how Azhar and Shafiq have literally crashed and done absolutely zilch, when so much was expected of them.
    Harsh on Azhar. He has done his max. Yes, he is past now and should be booted out but to say he has done nothing is disrespecting his service. There is no one in this line up who is ready yet to replace a peak Azhar.

Debut
    Dec 2005
    Venue
    Sharjah, U.A.E
    Runs
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WengerOut View Post
    Harsh on Azhar. He has done his max. Yes, he is past now and should be booted out but to say he has done nothing is disrespecting his service. There is no one in this line up who is ready yet to replace a peak Azhar.
    Since MisYou retired. Azhar is averaging in the high 20s, worse than Shafiq.

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Venue
    Queen of Arabian Sea
    Runs
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Usman Chadda View Post
    Since MisYou retired. Azhar is averaging in the high 20s, worse than Shafiq.
    My bad. I missed the MisYou part