Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1571 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

First thoughts on this World Cup

Well, before looking at the actual squads my initial thoughts WERE:

Germany has the best midfield to retain the ball, and should win.

France probably can field the strongest eleven, but has a dour, unimaginative coach.

Brazil has been superb under Tite, but it's all going to fall apart, because Marcelo is too attacking from left-back and Danilo at right-back isn't attacking enough.

Argentina is too reliant on Messi, who has too many minutes in his legs this season. Sampaoli hasn't got the players to execute his high press - these Argentines need to defend too deep.

There are effectively two England teams, as follows:

England A is Belgium - they are a world class outfit with a coach who is defensively unsound.

England B is England: dour, unimaginative but sound.

Looking at the draw, England and Belgium have a lovely draw and could go far.

Also, If Morocco takes out Spain or Portugal (yes, I know it's unlikely) then Uruguay could have a nice run too.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree about Argentina being too reliant on Messi.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    Dubai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everything seems to be pointing to Brazil this time around. France perhaps as well. I think its going to be a very attacking world cup with plenty of goals. Most teams are very strong in attack while the level of defending has gone down in the last 5 years.

Germany is a good team but I feel attacking wise they are not as good as Brazil or France which is why I am more hinting towards Brazil or France.

"Nations are born in the hearts of poets, they prosper and die in the hands of politicians."-Iqbal

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    288 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Disagree on Brazil. They have a team who are physically strong and also have pace in their team.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am missing the Italians who I usually support at the WC. I am looking at Brazil and France as being the favourites. No one seems to fancy Spain to much that could work in their favour. They may not have the attack of yesteryear but the likes of Isco, Silva and Iniesta can do some serious damage. Don't have a Villa or Torres up front this time round.

PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.