Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[PICTURES] World Cup Fever grips cities around the world

Last edited by hadi123; 7th June 2018 at 10:03.

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People are quite passionate about football in Karachi,and especially in Lyari(where I think these pictures are from).There is so much potential here but it requires a lot of investment.

Sadly I don't think I'll ever see Pakistan in a FIFA WC during my lifetime.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1642 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    Some crazy pics from around the world like this one

Children of reindeer herders play with a ball on the snow in the remote Yamalo-Nenets region of northern Russia.

https://sputniknews.com/photo/201806...all-far-north/

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1642 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    Raj Kumar sat at his roadside repair shop in Jalandhar on Friday, the sound of pneumatic drills and passing cars and motorbikes threatening to drown out the traditionally Punjabi Bhangra music playing over the radio as he stitched up one of several footballs that were strewn over his wooden table.

Kumar has been faced with a recent uptick in business as local children take up the sport ahead of the upcoming Fifa World Cup, bringing their footballs to Kumar's shop for a quick and affordable fix-up, reports Efe.

The surge in business has not come as a surprise to the repairman, who says he has been in the job for 45 years.

Kumar told epa that the children of Jalandhar tend to adopt whichever sport gets the most attention on television.

During much of the year in this cricket-obsessed nation, that means repairing cricket bats and pads.

With the World Cup due to start next week in Russia, however, Kumar has been landed with a pile of deflated and beaten up footballs, many of which look beyond salvage, and which litter his shop's store cupboard.

Kumar says he has been repairing around 50 footballs per month as the tournament approaches. He charges Rs 50 ($0.75) to stitch up a damaged football, while the fare to repair the inside bladder would cost his clients Rs 90.

Much of the sports equipment that comes from his repair shop is manufactured locally; Jalandhar is home to a dominant sports goods market.

The city even has a traffic intersection named as "Football Chowk" located next to a market at which mostly sports goods are sold. A concrete sculpture of a hand with a football on it is located near the traffic intersection of "Football Chowk."

Jalandhar's sports industry is one of the biggest manufacturing hub in India with around 100 sports goods manufacturing units in the city.

At one such unit, workers for Indian sports goods company Nivia had their hands full churning out and stacking up a range of different coloured footballs, goalkeeping gloves, jerseys and boots.

Many of the balls have been themed in the national colors of teams hoping to excel in Russia, including Spain, England and Argentina.

The company, which employs 2,000 workers, produces over 250,000 balls per year, which are sold through more than 2,000 dealers nationwide.

The manufacturers told epa that while they used to receive a higher demand for their wares from abroad, which has since decreased due to increasing competition from Chinese, Pakistani and Vietnamese producers, they have had a surge in local and domestic orders ahead of the World Cup.

https://www.business-standard.com/ar...0800803_1.html

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1642 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    SINGAPORE. Changi Airport has created an interactive football experience in all of its terminals to celebrate the 2018 FIFA World Cup.

Operator Changi Airport Group (CAG) will screen games live while passengers will be able to participate in other activities.

Changi passengers can follow the World Cup live on a big screen in Terminal 3

In Terminal 3 (near the Skytrain station to Terminal 1), a 7m x 4m high-definition LED screen will show 33 matches, as CAG seeks to generate a “stadium-style atmosphere”. The air-conditioned screening area has been lined with soft carpet and features football-shaped inflatable seats and lounge chairs.

Before each screening on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays, travellers will be able to win Changi Gift Cards of up to S$300 (US$225) for guessing the winning team. The value will be extended to S$1,000 (US$748) during the finals, CAG said.

Screening areas near World is Flat in Terminal 1, the Experience Zone in Terminal 2, Pret a Manger in Terminal 3, and Herman Miller in Terminal 4 have also been given a ‘football stadium’ makeover.

From 25 June, travellers who dine between 6pm and 9pm at one of Changi Airport’s restaurants will be able to redeem two hours of free parking (limited to the first 150 redemptions daily).

Other activities at the airport during the World Cup will include face painting and caricature art.

Admission to all live screenings at Changi Airport is free.

https://www.moodiedavittreport.com/f...018-world-cup/

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1642 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    HANOI: In a dusty workshop on the outskirts of Hanoi, workers busily mould, set and spray hundreds of replica World Cup trophies as orders flood in ahead of next week’s tournament.

Demand in football-mad Vietnam is soaring for the handmade plaster models of the real 18-carat gold trophy that will go to the winners of the month-long World Cup hosted by Russia that starts Thursday.

Craftsman Vuong Hong Nhat has been making the foot-tall replicas since the 2010 World Cup in South Africa, perfecting his hand-carved design over several months to give as gifts.

“Initially I didn’t want to sell the trophies, I was just trying to feed my passion for football and give them to friends and family,” said the 57-year-old Manchester United fan.

But they proved so popular he now sells them and expects to receive 3,000 orders this year triple the number he made in 2014.

With just three assistants in his small workshop, he’s struggling to keep up with demand.

“I work all day to fill the orders, but it’s not enough. I have to work until midnight,” said Nhat, exhausted, as workers pour plaster nearby.

His spray-painted gold versions of the coveted trophy sell for just $3.50 a steal compared to the estimated $150,000 price tag on the real number designed by the late Italian sculptor Silvio Gazzaniga.

That version, the FIFA World Cup Trophy, has been in play since 1974 when it replaced the original Jules Rimet Trophy given to Brazil in 1970 after it clinched its third World Cup win.

The original Jules Rimet Trophy was stolen in Brazil when the back wall of its case was removed by thieves in 1983 and has never been recovered.

For Nhat’s customers, the replicas add a sprinkling of glory before the World Cup.

“Holding the trophy I feel like Zidane (when he) won the World Cup in 1998”, France national team supporter Dang Viet Duy said.

It’s a small consolation for football fans like Nhat who have little hope of seeing Vietnam, a lowly 102nd in FIFA’s official rankings compete in the World Cup any time soon.

“If they do, I’ll give my trophies away for free,”

https://nation.com.pk/09-Jun-2018/mo...d-of-world-cup

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Story of a Lionel Messi Fan: Tea stall owner paints entire house in Argentina colours

Name:  PTI6_10_2018_000102B.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  228.9 KB

Shib Shankar Patra is one among thousands of die-hard Argentina fans in Kolkata and there's nothing unusual about it.

But then die-hard fans at times can be weird too and the 53-year-old Patra has that weird streak in him.

Trying to garner enough savings from his modest earnings through a tea stall, Patra harboured a dream -- to watch 'The Albiceleste' live from the stands in Russia.

But when a Kolkata-based travel agent informed him that his savings -- a princely amount of Rs 60,000 (USD 900) is not enough to fund his World Cup trip (travel agent gave him a budget of Rs 1.5 lakh), he decided the next best thing --paint his entire three-storied building in Argentina colours.

"I don't smoke or drink.I have only one addiction and that is Lionel Messi and Argentina.

"I don't earn much but ensure that bulk of my earnings is kept aside for these indulgences when World Cup comes calling," Patra, owner of a tea and snack stall in North 24 Parganas' Nawabganj township, told PTI.

You don't need a GPS to track Patra's house once you get down to Ichhapore Railway Station.

Ask any cocky teenager or elderly uncle about "Argentina Chaayer Dokan" (Argentina Tea Stall), they will be more than happy to oblige.

The street leading up to his tea stall cum house is dotted with Argentina flags while a giant one flutters high making its presence felt.

Every four years coinciding with the World Cup, Patra, who runs his tea stall from the ground floor of his three-storied building, gives his building a fresh coat of light blue and white shade.

Enter his three-room apartment and the craziness hits you instantly.

All the walls are painted in Argentina colour, even the small 'puja sthal' (where the idols of Gods and Goddesses are placed).

The walls of each room adorns a life-size vinyl flex print poster of Messi.

Addiction can be contagious but if its 'Messi mania', Patra doesn't mind that his wife Swapna along with his children -- 20 year-old daughter Neha and 10-year -old son Shubham are equally mad about the fleet footed genius.

"My kids know everything about Messi. The food he likes, the car he drives, everything," Patra says with a glint of pride in his eyes.

"They don't miss a single match of Messi. If there's a late night match during the exams, they will pretend to sleep early but will watch live streaming on their cell phones," wife Sapna said.

There is one common thread of all Argentina fans in Bengal. The 1986 World Cup, which was aired live on Doordarshan turned Kolkatans into 'Maradona devotees'.

Messi is an extension of Maradona.

"I have watched the Argnetina friendly at the Salt Lake Stadium. I lived a dream that day," Patra recollected.

It was the first time, he painted his house in Argentina colours, something he repeated in the 2014 edition of the World Cup as well. Since 2012, the Patra family celebrates every Messi birthday with fanfare like cutting cake to organsing blood donation camp.

And it goes without saying that tea and samosas (staple diet for Bongs during their football adda sessions) is complimentary on all Argentina match days. With Messi's birthday coinciding with the World Cup, they have cancelled the blood donation camp, which is held every year.

Instead a 30-pound cake will be cut and 100 Argentina jerseys will be distributed amonmg local kids with Messi's photograph embossed.

In attendance would be the local MLA and India U-17 World Cupper Rahim Ali.

By his own admission, he has never taken any loans for his personal indulgences.

"I've never sought money from anyone but we never fell short, and somehow everything falls in place in time," Patra said.

"People here also happily come forward. Someone sponsors the food, someone gets the cake and we make it a mini-Argentina here," Patra says.

Even there will be prayers for Messi with the priest of the local Hanuman temple -- his regular client -- offering special prayers for the Argentine wizard.

"He gets me the 'sindoor' from Hanuman's left leg (the connection is Messi being a left-footed player) and the vermilion is applied on Messi's poster during every match.

We hope he lifts the Cup this time," Patra signed off.

http://www.newindianexpress.com/spor...s-1826196.html

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1091 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Life and death: World Cup rivalry turns violent in Bangladesh

The World Cup is arousing high passions in Bangladesh, where machete-wielding fans of Brazil and Argentina have clashed in the streets and flags of the two countries are so ubiquitous that some people want to ban them.

Ignoring the lack of any obvious link to the South American giants, and the absence of their national team -- which is ranked 194th out of 211 teams -- World Cup fever has firmly taken hold among Bangladeshi fans.

Last week in the central town of Bandar, rival followers of Lionel Messi and Neymar fought with machetes, leaving a man and his son critically wounded, police said.

Meanwhile, a 12-year-old boy died after being electrocuted while putting a Brazil flag on a roadside pole.

Argentina and Brazil flags have been dominating towns in the country of 160 million for weeks ahead of the start of the World Cup in Russia on Thursday.

Supporters of the two teams hold flag processions to show their loyalties. In the northern town of Madarganj, motorcycle rallies are staged by hundreds of rival supporters waving football banners.

"They hold meetings to plan further craziness. You can feel the tension and excitement all over town," local police chief Mohammad Rafique told AFP.

Some Bangladeshis want to end the fervour, however.

One lawyer tried to get a court order preventing the flying of flags of World Cup nations. Barisal University in southern Bangladesh has banned its 7,000 students from flying foreign nations' colours on campus.

"The government should totally ban flying any foreign flags across Bangladesh," university head S.M. Imamul Haq told AFP.

Flag fervour is the most obvious sign of the country's switch of allegiance every four years from cricket to football.

Even though Bangladesh has never qualified for the World Cup, and has little chance of doing so in future, the country goes crazy for the tournament once every four years.

- From Maradona to Messi -

The South American rivalry has been traced back to broadcasts of the 1986 World Cup, when Diego Maradona's brilliance helped Argentina win the trophy.

"Pele was a household name here. His story was in our textbook. So there was a traditional support base for Brazil. But Argentina stole Bangladeshis' hearts after Maradona's solo feats in 1986. I think it is when this rivalry here began," M.M. Kaiser, editor of a sports portal, told AFP.

Maqsud Elahi, 13, said after buying an Argentina flag: "I support Argentina because of Messi. His dribbling is mind-blowing."

Tanvir Haider, a 29-year-old doctor, however, fell for Brazil after watching Ronaldo in his boyhood.

"I love Brazil because of him. Also Brazil has a golden past. Their game is terrific and they have superstars at every World Cup," Haider said.

But sociologists struggle to explain Bangladesh's football phenomenon, with one criticising it as "a kind of inferiority complex".

"Many of these people don't know where Brazil and Argentina are. There is no blood or language connection, still they are mad for them," Nehal Karim, a Dhaka University sociology professor, told AFP.

"I don't understand it," he declared.

Mokaddem Hossain, deputy head of Bangladesh Open University, said it was globalisation at work.

"This is part of worldwide branding. Hoisting flags and the excitement around it is just the result of that passion," he said.

Ashif Entaz Rabi, a writer, defended the quadrennial frenzy, saying the World Cup is a joyous occasion for millions.

"If an Argentina fan finds happiness by flying an Argentine flag on his roof, who are you to stop him from this joy?" Rabi wrote in a widely shared Facebook comment.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/afp...angladesh.html

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    KARACHI: Pakistan may not be participating in the FIFA World Cup 2018 in Russia, but the craze for the extravaganza is at an all-time high. Football fever is all the more visible in Lyari, a congested residential neighbourhood of Karachi which earned the moniker of ‘Mini Brazil’ due to its residents’ love for football.

The neighbourhood, which was once wrecked by gang war, wears a festive look as the residents, overwhelmingly ethnic Baloch, have installed large screens in different areas to enjoy the matches. The streets are festooned with flags of the countries participating in the mega sporting event and walls are splashed with colourful graffiti.

https://webdesk.tribune.com.pk/story...r-comes-lyari/

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1642 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    So much enthusiasm but Pakistan still not able to create a Football team that can go to the top!

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    So much enthusiasm but Pakistan still not able to create a Football team that can go to the top!
    Our national football team has not played a game in three years due to negligience and politics of the Pakistan Football Federation.In fact,the semi professional league that was running had also been stopped.

There is a lot of talent and interest for Football in Pakistan.
    Last edited by Arham_PakFan; 23rd June 2018 at 18:01.