Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

"Can't expect an 18-year-old to be out of the game for 5 years and be the same bowler": Waqar Younis

Former Pakistan fast-bowler and Head Coach, Waqar Younis has been an important figure in Pakistan cricket since his international debut in 1989. His legendary fast-bowling partnership with Wasim Akram is stuff of legends as are his many memorable performances for Pakistan where he grabbed 789 wickets in 389 games for his country.

In an interview with Saj, Waqar Younis spoke about his views on the potential of Mohammad Abbas and Faheem Ashraf, the emergence of hungry young talent in the shape of Shadab Khan and Hasan Ali, the worrying absence of express fast-bowlers from Pakistan and Sarfaraz Ahmed's woes as captain in Test cricket.

PakPassion.net: There are some who believe that Mohammad Abbas' lack of pace could be an issue on some surfaces around the world. Do you agree with that assumption?

Waqar Younis:
    No, I don't think that's right. Other bowlers have survived at that pace at this level and if you are smart enough and you have the skills then you will be fine. He played in the West Indies not so long ago, I was there and saw him bowl and initially I thought he might struggle on those sort of pitches but he didn't. He picked up wickets and he was very useful with both the new ball and the old ball and was reversing it as well. I don't see anything wrong with his pace, he bowls at a decent pace and he bowls with very good control of both line and length. Also, the areas that he bowls in are perfect for international cricket.

PakPassion.net: Pakistan has lacked a pace-bowling all-rounder for quite some time now. Faheem Ashraf looks like he fits the bill perfectly, doesn't he?

Waqar Younis:
    I don't think he has blossomed just yet. He has plenty to offer and has already proved that he can bat at the highest level which is what really excites me. He needs to work on his batting but he has the potential. I don't see anything wrong with his bowling and I think he will get better and better with the ball. He's a young man and will learn as he plays more games. He has the potential to become a very fine all-rounder and he is the sort of player that Pakistan has been missing since the days of Abdul Razzaq and Azhar Mahmood.

PakPassion.net: It's widely recognised that Pakistan is now producing a generation of young, fearless cricketers such as Hasan Ali, Shadab Khan and Faheem Ashraf who have quickly found their feet in international cricket. What do you put this down to?

Waqar Younis:
    It's all about confidence, isn't it. They are hungry for success. They come from small towns and I think it's fantastic to see such cricketers coming from areas which have not always produced international cricketers. I think it's really important for Pakistan cricket to ensure they are finding the talent from places other than the major cricketing cities. In the past players have come through from the not-so-well-known areas like Mushtaq Ahmed, Mohammad Zahid, Mohammad Irfan and myself. It's crucial that all of this talent is identified and nurtured as quite often these boys from the smaller towns and cities are hungrier for success and are more keen to improve at the highest level of cricket. This is the reason why I feel the likes of Shadab, Hasan and Faheem have settled so quickly into international cricket. In addition, being part of the Champions Trophy squad and winning that competition must be a massive boost for their confidence.

PakPassion.net: There is a tendency now to play quite a few of the players in all three formats for Pakistan. Do you think there is a danger of burn-out?

Waqar Younis:
    No, I don't think so. This is their time to learn and at this age just let them play as much as possible. I would just urge caution regarding playing in a lot of Twenty20 leagues around the world, though, as the focus and priority has to be on international cricket. The more these boys play across the three formats, the more they will grow as cricketers.

PakPassion.net: Have you any concerns about Mohammad Amir's bowling since his return to international cricket?

Waqar Younis:
    No, I don't think there is anything to worry about. There is some wear and tear on him as he was playing international cricket at such a young age. It's not easy to come back after being out of the game for 5 years. You can't expect an 18-year-old kid to be out of the game for 5 years and then come back and be the same bowler and do the same things he was doing before his ban. The game has moved on also, it's more fast-paced and there is more Twenty20 cricket being played around the world. But he's a fighter. I was always supporting him for his comeback to cricket as I feel that everyone makes mistakes in life. We are living in a world where we should be able to forgive people and move on as long as they have learnt their lesson. He's an asset for Pakistan cricket and he remains a match-winner.

PakPassion.net: Is there a danger of burn-out by playing Mohammad Amir in all three formats?

Waqar Younis:
    I think for Mohammad Amir as a strike-bowler playing in all three formats all of the time is a bit too much because he's also playing in Twenty20 leagues around the world. He has to be careful with his workload and that hunger to play for your country has to remain. Sometimes that hunger can diminish if you are playing in all formats, all of the time.

PakPassion.net: Do you feel that Mohammad Amir's best years as a bowler are ahead of him?

Waqar Younis:
    At the moment, I think he's bowling the best he has ever bowled during his career. He's working hard on his game and he's been a bit unlucky that he has not always got the results that his bowling has deserved.

PakPassion.net: There is a lot of young talent coming through for Pakistan, what do you put that down to?

Waqar Younis:
    The Pakistan Super League (PSL) has quite rightly received a lot of praise and credit for nurturing this talent, but domestic cricket also deserves some credit for producing these players. Pakistan domestic cricket has not always received the credit it has deserved, but the fact is that it has been producing high-quality cricketers for nearly 70 years. Pakistan domestic cricket can do more to help it's cricketers. We aren't quite there compared to other nations' domestic structures, the standard of their pitches and the standard of their domestic cricket and it definitely needs more attention. We have seen some good cricketers emerge from the PSL, but that tournament will not produce you quality Test cricketers. Those cricketers will need to be groomed and that process has to be done in domestic cricket.

PakPassion.net: What's happened to the 90mph bowlers that Pakistan has always been famous for?

Waqar Younis:
    I think the lack of international cricket in Pakistan has been a major factor regarding this and it has taken its toll. We are now seeing the symptoms of 10 years of no international cricket in Pakistan and what it has left behind. Pakistan has some bowlers of a decent pace, but yes, I agree there aren't too many 90mph pace bowlers around at the moment. There are some coming through, though, such as Shaheen Shah Afridi who bowls at a good speed. Such is Pakistan cricket that there will always be someone there to bowl at 90mph, it's always been our way. But, sometimes you have to be patient as you can go through phases where there is a shortage of these 90mph bowlers. But as I say, in nearly 70 years of international cricket Pakistan has always had 90mph bowlers and I do not see that tradition ever changing.

PakPassion.net: Speaking of Shaheen Shah Afridi, he's spoken of as the next big thing in Pakistan cricket. How highly do you rate him and do you think he will be ready for international cricket soon?

Waqar Younis:
    I hope he stays fit as he's playing cricket at a very tender age. They need to be very careful with him and not rush him into playing too much cricket. I believe he was supposed to be on the current tour of Ireland and England but there was a change of mind at the last minute as it might have been a case of too much, too soon for him. It would be better if he was groomed and prepared fully and not rushed into international cricket. Hopefully we will see him soon in international cricket, as it's good for cricket to see young pace bowlers who may be a bit raw but have a lot of talent and have genuine pace.

PakPassion.net: As a former captain of Pakistan, you are fully aware of how difficult the role is. Sarfaraz Ahmed is leading the team in all three formats, is that too much to ask of him?

Waqar Younis:
    We don't really have any choice at the moment. But he has to lift his game particularly in Test cricket. If you are looking to play a young team with a couple of all-rounders, then Sarfaraz needs to lift his game batting at number six. He needs to take more responsibility and lift his batting in Test cricket. He is fine in the Limited-Overs formats but his performances with the bat have definitely dipped in Test cricket. But he will battle it out, and as far as captaincy in all three formats is concerned I would stick with him, but there is no harm in keeping your eyes open in terms of future replacements.

PakPassion.net: Do you feel you have unfinished business as far as coaching Pakistan is concerned and is it a job that you would like to return to, perhaps in future?

Waqar Younis:
    I did my time, I did my stint and I don't know what the future holds. I enjoy what I'm doing at the moment and I love being around the game. It doesn't matter to me whether I am in the dressing room or not, in the press box or the commentary box, it's always enjoyable. I love cricket, I played the game hard and at the moment I am keeping my options open and see how things go in the future.

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Venue
    bhakkar
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Muhammad Amir is very great and shining star in cricket world and. There is no compromise for his talent. He has survived pakistani team in every difficult and hard situation.
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 11th June 2018 at 07:46.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like his comments on Sarfaraz. I am sure Pakistan management is publicly backing him but privately, he is being told to figure his game out for the longer version.

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cricketers Need To Be Groomed In Domestic Cricket: Waqar Younis

ISLAMABAD, June 11 (APP):Former captain Waqar Younis sees some good cricketers emerging from Pakistan Super League (PSL), but believes the tournament will not produce quality Test cricketers.
    He said cricketers need to be groomed and that process has to be done in domestic cricket. “PSL has received a lot of praise and credit for nurturing talent but domestic cricket also deserves some praise for producing good players,” Pakpassion.net quoted him as saying.

He said Pakistan domestic cricket has not always received the credit it has deserved, but the fact is that it has been producing high-quality cricketers for nearly 70 years.

Waqar said Pakistan domestic cricket can do more to help cricketers. “We are not quite there as compared to other nations’ domestic structures, the standard of their pitches and the standard of their domestic cricket and it definitely needs more attention,” he said.

He said skipper Sarfaraz Ahmed needs to lift his game batting at number six if he is looking to play a young team with a couple of all-rounders. “Sarfaraz needs to take more responsibility and lift his batting in Test cricket. He is fine in the Limited-Overs formats but his performances with the bat have definitely dipped in Test cricket,” he said and added Sarfraz will battle it out.

He said as far as Sarfraz’s captaincy is concerned in all three formats I would stick with him, but there is no harm in keeping your eyes open in terms of future replacements.
    Speaking of Shaheen Shah Afridi, he said he hopes Afridi stays fit as he is playing cricket at a very tender age. “They need to be very careful with him and not rush him into playing too much cricket. It would be better if he was groomed and prepared fully and not rushed into international cricket,” he said.
    He said Pakistan is now producing a generation of young, fearless cricketers such as Hasan Ali, Shadab Khan and Faheem Ashraf who have quickly found their feet in international cricket.

“It is important for Pakistan cricket to ensure they are finding the talent from places other than the major cricketing cities. In the past players have come through from the not-so-well-known areas like Mushtaq Ahmed, Mohammad Zahid, Mohammad Irfan and myself,” he said.

http://www.app.com.pk/cricketers-nee...-waqar-younis/

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4788 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    No cricket at home has absolutely nothing to do with Pakistan’s inability to produce genuine speedsters.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    242 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    No cricket at home has absolutely nothing to do with Pakistan’s inability to produce genuine speedsters.
    I agree its a lame excuse. Even when we did have cricket at home from around 2003 to 2009, it was clear that apart from Shoaib and Sami, Pakistan did not have speedy prospects.

But one contributing factor has definitely been slow, green wickets in domestic cricket which has perhaps been exacerbated by the declining standards of our grounds, pitches which the PCB has been unable to keep up after the absence of international cricket from Pakistan in the last 10 years.

In the last 10 years you will see guys like Hammad Azam, Asad Ali, Anwar Ali topping domestic wicket taking charts and many experts on tv has mentioned many times that these guys are military medium. When a pacer in domestic cricket knows he can just trundle in and get easy wickets bowling at 120-125 km/hr then what is the incentive to bend your back and try to bowl in the late 140's. 150's.

As for Waqar's and Shoaib's comments, these guys are just looking to protect their legacies with comments like "We will not produce speedy pacers all the time". They don't really want to put the work in to try and uncover them.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    haripur
    Runs
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Great interview from the legend.you can sense passion from his interview .intresting to read about shaheen shah who was almost going to picked for eng test but than decided against it by selector and team management.i hope azhar have plan for shaheen to further tune his bowling which seems raw

Debut
    Jun 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So you know more then a bloke who played for 15 years and was actually a 90 plus demon who came through the system

Lack of international cricket means no pressure on the ground staff to maintain international quality pitches underprepared pitches means substandard quality trundles picking loads of wickets.Teams do not look for out an out quicker since medium pace trundles are enough to get the job done while youngsters have no incentive to bowl pace as pitches reward medium pace length bowling

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4788 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xoib View Post
    So you know more then a bloke who played for 15 years and was actually a 90 plus demon who came through the system
    This theory has been disproved over and over again. I can come up with numerous examples of ex-cricketers coming up with braindead suggestions and solutions. Just because you have played the game at the highest level doesn't mean that you are always right.

I can come up with countless statements from legendary players that are completely rubbish.

Lack of international cricket means no pressure on the ground staff to maintain international quality pitches underprepared pitches means substandard quality trundles picking loads of wickets.Teams do not look for out an out quicker since medium pace trundles are enough to get the job done while youngsters have no incentive to bowl pace as pitches reward medium pace length bowling
    Pakistan haven't produced a quality tearaway fast bowler since Shoaib Akhtar emerged in 1996/1997. We stopped playing cricket at home in 2009 - what stopped Pakistan from producing tearaway pacers for 12 years?

However, I would agree that the domestic pitches have played a role in diminishing the production of genuine speedsters. The domestic pitches are poor because of PCB's mismanagement. In my opinion, scheduling is the biggest issue - the tournament is held in October-January where the conditions are quite conductive to swing bowling, however, that should not stop the curators from producing grassless wickets.

The idea that the curators are not under pressure to produce international standard wickets seems like a far-fetched excuse to me. The PCB has finally taken note of this problem and I believe we will see better wickets in the future.

Debut
    Apr 2007
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    218 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    In 80s/90s, our main weapon was reverse swing(not necessarily pace), nobody else knew about it. Now a days there is lot more scrutiny about it and everybody else is aware, so there is less of reverse swing in most cases...

Same fast bowlers would have hard time reversing that much and that often today.

If you want to do things that are certain to succeed, you are doing very obvious thing - E Musk

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    242 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yasir View Post
    In 80s/90s, our main weapon was reverse swing(not necessarily pace), nobody else knew about it. Now a days there is lot more scrutiny about it and everybody else is aware, so there is less of reverse swing in most cases...

Same fast bowlers would have hard time reversing that much and that often today.
    This isn't true, the skill I believe has been lost. I suspect the team as a whole is no longer conscious of taking care of the ball as a unit for the pacers and the pacers are also not practicing and working hard on the art behind the scenes. Plus for reverse swing to be very effective, you need that x factor pace as well which apart from Wahab most of our pacers lack.

Debut
    Apr 2007
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    218 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    This isn't true, the skill I believe has been lost. I suspect the team as a whole is no longer conscious of taking care of the ball as a unit for the pacers and the pacers are also not practicing and working hard on the art behind the scenes. Plus for reverse swing to be very effective, you need that x factor pace as well which apart from Wahab most of our pacers lack.
    Sarfraz Nawaz was medium pacer, who invented reverse swing(9/23 in Sydney, probably our first test win in AUS). Rana Naveed use to reverse swing a lot, who was medium pacer. So was Omer Gul. They both used to reverse swing from 135-140...Out of Imran, Wasim, Waqar and Shoiab. Only Waqar and Shoiab were really fast, rest were more of fast medium, but were proficient in reverse swing...

One can argue Wahab and Sami were faster then any other bowler except Shoiab and Waqar. They were in Pakistani system for 15 years, without getting injured or loosing pace, but yet could not hold position in national team, not because of corruption or favoritism but were not good enough...

Like with Dsoora, Bumpers(70s/80s era), reverse swing will never see the same peak as it has seen in 1990s, skill is only one factor, you cannot ignore first invention advantage, which we had ripped, but it cannot be a permanent benefit.
    Last edited by yasir; 11th June 2018 at 20:04.

If you want to do things that are certain to succeed, you are doing very obvious thing - E Musk

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    The lack of 90mph bowlers in Pakistan is a big concern - we are not producing them any more.

It seems that a lot of the up and coming bowlers are more medium fast and concentrate on T20 abilities as that's where the cash is.
    Last edited by Saj; 12th June 2018 at 17:43.

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1261 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    There is some wear and tear on him as he was playing international cricket at such a young age. It's not easy to come back after being out of the game for 5 years. You can't expect an 18-year-old kid to be out of the game for 5 years and then come back and be the same bowler and do the same things he was doing before his ban.

This is all fine if he is not hyped to the moon based on his performance 8 years ago.

Debut
    Sep 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ofcourse you would know more

Debut
    Sep 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ridiculous because we just defeated an English side in Lords, and majority of the reason was the brilliant bowling with the old ball...

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4788 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by waleed88 View Post
    Ofcourse you would know more
    Please explain why Pakistan failed to produce a quality tearaway fast bowler between 1996 and 2009.

Debut
    Jun 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This theory has been disproved over and over again. I can come up with numerous examples of ex-cricketers coming up with braindead suggestions and solutions. Just because you have played the game at the highest level doesn't mean that you are always right.

I can come up with countless statements from legendary players that are completely rubbish.

Pakistan haven't produced a quality tearaway fast bowler since Shoaib Akhtar emerged in 1996/1997. We stopped playing cricket at home in 2009 - what stopped Pakistan from producing tearaway pacers for 12 years?

However, I would agree that the domestic pitches have played a role in diminishing the production of genuine speedsters. The domestic pitches are poor because of PCB's mismanagement. In my opinion, scheduling is the biggest issue - the tournament is held in October-January where the conditions are quite conductive to swing bowling, however, that should not stop the curators from producing grassless wickets.

The idea that the curators are not under pressure to produce international standard wickets seems like a far-fetched excuse to me. The PCB has finally taken note of this problem and I believe we will see better wickets in the future.
    between 96-2001 we produced Shoaib-Zahid-Sami. 3 in 5 years is a very good number. One got injured the other turned out crap is a different matter but the system did produce tearaways remember Waqar is talking about 90+ bowlers and not quality just 90+ bowlers then in 2008 Wahab came on the scene another 90+ bowler Amir pre ban was also 90+ watch his spells on the Australian tour in 2009 he was clocking 145-150.

So five 90+ speedsters in 13 years is a decent number even if you discount Amir its 4 in 12 years and matches with the earlier decade numbers Imran in 76 Wasim in 84 and Waqar in 88 so thats 3 in 12 years

I do think its a myth that in 80's and 90's every domestic team had a 90+ bowlers otherwise Aaqib would not have been the 3rd best pacer in the country and we would not have seen countless chances given to Ata ur Rehman, Navved Anjum, Amir Nazir, Shahid ehboood Azeem Hafeez, Mohsin Kamal etc.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    242 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Amir has had 3 years now to figure out his bowling, he on the other hand has been complaining of workload whereas Wahab and Junaid had been toiling away for Pakistan without any complaints and are still willing to play all formats for Pakistan. T-20's had already started from 2006 onwards so these excuses don't make sense.

The reality is that he is not as good as people felt he was. That 2010 tour to England was deceiving in the long run, even RP Singh looked unplayable and the second coming of Wasim in those conditions.

Debut
    Jun 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amir has had 3 years now to figure out his bowling, he on the other hand has been complaining of workload whereas Wahab and Junaid had been toiling away for Pakistan without any complaints and are still willing to play all formats for Pakistan. T-20's had already started from 2006 onwards so these excuses don't make sense.

The reality is that he is not as good as people felt he was. That 2010 tour to England was deceiving in the long run, even RP Singh looked unplayable and the second coming of Wasim in those conditions.
    He took 12 wickets @ 18 in the last series.Not saying he is back but this is the best he looked since his return of course still to be seen if he can sustain it but atleast get off his back when he is coming after a good performance

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please explain why Pakistan failed to produce a quality tearaway fast bowler between 1996 and 2009.
    Sami, Wahab, Amir(18yr old), Irfan(to an extent) used to bowl 145kph plus consistently with Sami being the fastest I believe. Amir in Australia was consistently bowling over 150kph in Tests in 2010. Wahab's pace came later but he along with Starc, Johnson, Milne was consistently among the fastest in the world around 2015.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    242 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    In fact if anything the 5 year ban may have helped to prolong Amir's Career. If he had played so much cricket during his 5 year ban, god knows what kind of injuries he would have potentially suffered, he already had a stress fracture in his back as a teen and Mohd Zahid felt that playing too much cricket would have been too much for his brittle body.

Look at how Junaid Khan has gone into oblivion ever since his injuries. Look at how Umar Gul's career ended after his knee surgery in 2013. Bottom line is I don't see any major difference in Amir's bowling pre ban and now, sure yes having Asif around helped him to set up batsmen better but if you give this 2018 Amir the same bowling conditions that he enjoyed in the 2010 series he will look just as menacing and devastating as he did in 2010, but if you give the 2010 Amir the same flat wickets that the 2016 to 2018 Amir has had to bowl in most of the times, he would be just as ineffective.

Bottom line is he isn't as good as we felt he is and his last series before his 5 year ban was extremely misleading.

Debut
    Jun 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In fact if anything the 5 year ban may have helped to prolong Amir's Career. If he had played so much cricket during his 5 year ban, god knows what kind of injuries he would have potentially suffered, he already had a stress fracture in his back as a teen and Mohd Zahid felt that playing too much cricket would have been too much for his brittle body.

Look at how Junaid Khan has gone into oblivion ever since his injuries. Look at how Umar Gul's career ended after his knee surgery in 2013. Bottom line is I don't see any major difference in Amir's bowling pre ban and now, sure yes having Asif around helped him to set up batsmen better but if you give this 2018 Amir the same bowling conditions that he enjoyed in the 2010 series he will look just as menacing and devastating as he did in 2010, but if you give the 2010 Amir the same flat wickets that the 2016 to 2018 Amir has had to bowl in most of the times, he would be just as ineffective.

Bottom line is he isn't as good as we felt he is and his last series before his 5 year ban was extremely misleading.
    Or maybe the 5 year put halt to his progress.Amir was hyped even before that series a 18 yr old who was clocking 150 was exciting for everyone even though results were still not there till the last series.Amir has not remotely bowled close to how he bowled before ban and that includes matches other then his last series before ban.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    242 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xoib View Post
    Or maybe the 5 year put halt to his progress.Amir was hyped even before that series a 18 yr old who was clocking 150 was exciting for everyone even though results were still not there till the last series.Amir has not remotely bowled close to how he bowled before ban and that includes matches other then his last series before ban.
    Give him a green top and he will look like the 2010 Amir in no time.

Debut
    Jun 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Give him a green top and he will look like the 2010 Amir in no time.
    No he does not he did not while in nzl and was better here in England but still not old Amir of 2010.As I said earlier he was hyped even before his last series it did not have to do with just his last series

Debut
    Sep 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pakistan has never historically produced many tearaway fast bowlers, but the ones that were produced got identified and progressed to the national circuit. Playing in front of the home crowd was the motivation that was needed for the bowlers to bowl in fast, historically before the berth of t20 and franchise cricket. UAE was the death of our pace bowling and any bowler who goes there is ran into the ground.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Wellness Centre
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He should have been banned for life. It's criminal that he was allowed back in. There's nothing I dread more than seeing him in the team.

Gangster rap made me do it.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    242 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Lol, I am pretty certain that people will keeping harping on and on about Amir being away from the game for 5 years even when he is in his 30's.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Waqar Younis: You can't expect an 18-year-old kid to be out of the game for 5 years and then come back and be the same bowler and do the same things he was doing before his ban
    Waqar Younis: At the moment, I think he's bowling the best he has ever bowled during his career. He's working hard on his game and he's been a bit unlucky that he has not always got the results that his bowling has deserved.
    If he's 'bowling the best he has ever bowled during his career' then surely Waqar's first point is moot?

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Well Mohammad Amir has been rested today for the opening match in the tri-series - makes sense.