User Tag List

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1582 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)

"Many of the current Indian batsmen have learnt from the mistakes of the past" : Cheteshwar Pujara

Cheteshwar Pujara is expected to play an important part in the upcoming Test series between England and India. In an interview with Saj for Sky Sports, the 30-year-old Indian batsman discussed Afghanistan's inaugural Test , Virat Kohli's captaincy and how India can keep Jos Buttler quiet in their upcoming series with England.

How do you feel your stint for Yorkshire has gone this season?

CHETESHWAR PUJARA: I think it's been good and useful preparation for me ahead of the Test series later this year. I believe it's gone well, but I feel that I have not scored enough runs in red-ball cricket even though I felt I was batting quite well in that format. However, I think it's gone a lot better in white-ball cricket for me during this season.

You've only played five one-day internationals for India during your career. Is that something you want to increase in the future?

CP: I would love to do that. I've been working a lot on my shorter-format cricket and I feel I have a chance as I think I am a player who can play and do well in all formats.

India are due to play Afghanistan in Afghanistan's inaugural Test match. What are your thoughts on the likes of Ireland and Afghanistan being given the opportunity to play Test cricket?

CP: I think it's really important that nations such as Ireland and Afghanistan are given the opportunity to play Test cricket. Afghanistan have already proved and showed to the world that they are a very good white-ball team. When it comes to ODIs and T20Is, Afghanistan have been playing some good cricket and I'm looking forward to seeing them given the chance to play Test cricket.

For Test cricket to survive I think more nations need to be given the opportunity play in this format. Test cricket needs to be popular around the globe and not just in a select few countries.

Pakistan recently managed an excellent win at Lord's against England. Do you think that win for Pakistan gives India some hope for later in the summer?

CP: I didn't see too much of the match and just checked the scorecard but from an Indian perspective you always have to believe in yourself. Being honest, the last time we played Tests in England back in 2014 we did not play well at all.

But, we don't look at the other teams, rather we concentrate on playing to our potential and I can confidently say that we have a good bowling line-up and I feel that bowling in the Test series against England will be crucial. When it comes to our batting, we have improved a lot and we did well in South Africa, so we are very hopeful that we will do well in England this time around.

Throughout the years India has always produced great batsmen, but in the modern era, a number of very good pace bowlers are coming out of India, why do you think that is?

CP: I think the Indian Premier League has to be given credit for this. The IPL is producing a lot of very good pace bowlers. Apart from the IPL, I think there are a lot of young cricketers in India who want to be fast bowlers and perhaps that wasn't the case in the past.

These boys are working very hard and focusing on pace bowling from a young age and nowadays there are a lot of opportunities in India for young, fast bowlers, whereas in the past it was all about spinners.These days India goes on overseas tours with a very strong pace-bowling group and credit must be given to the BCCI for this because they have focused on building a group of good quality fast-bowlers to serve India around the world.

Speaking of the Indian Premier League, Jos Buttler was one of the stars of the tournament. You must be concerned about his form ahead of the Test series later this year?

CP: Yes, hopefully we can get him out early. I think the key is to get him out into the middle as early as possible where he has to face a newish ball. No doubt he's a good player but we have to aim to get him out there in the middle when the ball is quite new and hard.

He obviously bats at number 6 or 7, but if we can get him facing our bowlers by the 30th over then I think we can build some pressure on him. I've seen the way he bats in white-ball cricket around the world and he's a fantastic player, so we will have to be on top of our game when he's at the crease.

James Anderson and Stuart Broad faced criticism after the Lord's Test match against Pakistan. Were you surprised at the levels of criticism they received?

CP: I was very surprised because both of them have been doing really well for their country for such a long period of time and have been so consistent. They are great bowlers and every bowler goes through a tough time or has a bad match or two, but I believe they deserve to be recognised as top bowlers who have been at the top of their profession for so many years.

What will the plans be from an Indian perspective against the likes of Anderson and Broad?

CP: I think that many of the current Indian batsmen have learnt from the mistakes of the past. We have the experience now as most of the squad will have been a part of the 2014 Test squad in England, so most of our batsmen will have played Test cricket in England previously, and that is really important.

I think if you have previous experience of overseas conditions in any country and you are going back there, then you will have a good idea of what works and what doesn't in those conditions. I believe that our previous experience of English conditions will be extremely vital this time around.

Do you think India have a good chance of defeating England in the Test series?

CP: I believe that we have a very good opportunity but you have to take it one match at a time. A lot can happen in a five-Test series and I think that it's best that as a team you focus on one match at a time rather than thinking about the entire series and what the outcome may be. Another thing that is vital is the preparation. It's important that we prepare well and then execute our plans. If we do that, then I think we have a very good chance of beating England.

What is it like to have Virat Kohli in the dressing room?

CP: He's very talkative, very passionate about cricket and he keeps the atmosphere going. The Indian team's dressing room nowadays is quite relaxed but there are also many young players who keep the atmosphere quite lively. The good thing is that all of the players enjoy each other's company on and off the field.

What are your thoughts on Kohli as a captain?

CP: So far the experience has been good. Even when MS Dhoni was leading the team, the atmosphere in the dressing room and out there in the middle was good. I've always enjoyed my cricket under the leadership of both Kohli and Dhoni. They are different characters, but I've really found it very motivating and satisfying to play under both captains.

What are your thoughts on the introduction of four-day Test matches?

CP: I would prefer to play five-day Test matches as I don't feel four days for a Test match is enough. We've been playing this format as five days for such a long time and I would like it to continue as five days, rather than it changing to four.

Finally, an India versus Pakistan Test match at Lord's in front of a packed house - does that sound appealing to you?

CP: Yes, that would be nice but that is something that I cannot really control or is in my hands. It's up to the Government to decide on such things and as cricketers we follow their guidelines. But if it was to happen, then I'd be ready for Pakistan. If it doesn't happen, then so be it, that's not my call.

http://www.skysports.com/cricket/new...nd-jos-buttler
    Last edited by MenInG; 12th June 2018 at 13:31.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good interview.

Pujara is the finest batsman in the Indian lineup.

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good fella. Hope he scores some runs in Eng.

Debut
    Feb 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best Indian test batsman currently. Clutch and a match and series winner. Whenever Pujara has scored clutch runs, India have won difficult series.

Sarfi as captain'll lead us to glory.Babar'll be our best odi bat & Haris'll be world class in tests

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    He is leagues below Kohli. People should stop repeating themselves.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    He is leagues below Kohli. People should stop repeating themselves.
    I remember an interview in 2013 where Steyn rated Pujara higher than Kohli.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    I remember an interview in 2013 where Steyn rated Pujara higher than Kohli.
    Pujara might be tougher to dismiss, but he is nothing more than a superior version of Azhar Ali, because of the fact that he is much better against spin.

His technique is overrated as well. His low back-lift makes him a bunny against bounce, and he rarely survives a testing spell of fast bowling. The tours of Australia and the recent South African tour exhibited the difference in class between the two players.

Kohli might surpass Tendulkar, while Pujara will remain a poor man's Dravid. He cannot impose himself on the opposition and scores far too slowly to have any influence on the game. The opposition doesn't view him as a threat, and his wicket is nowhere near as prized as Kohli's.

Those who are calling him India's best Test batsman - how many teams in the world would have Pujara over Kohli in their teams? Alternatively, how many teams would prefer to take his wicket over Kohli's?

I think that pretty much sums it up. Pujara is a very good player, but Kohli is an all-time great. There is no comparison - it is not 2013 anymore. Kohli has left him in his dust in the last five years.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pujara might be tougher to dismiss, but he is nothing more than a superior version of Azhar Ali, because of the fact that he is much better against spin.

His technique is overrated as well. His low back-lift makes him a bunny against bounce, and he rarely survives a testing spell of fast bowling. The tours of Australia and the recent South African tour exhibited the difference in class between the two players.

Kohli might surpass Tendulkar, while Pujara will remain a poor man's Dravid. He cannot impose himself on the opposition and scores far too slowly to have any influence on the game. The opposition doesn't view him as a threat, and his wicket is nowhere near as prized as Kohli's.

Those who are calling him India's best Test batsman - how many teams in the world would have Pujara over Kohli in their teams? Alternatively, how many teams would prefer to take his wicket over Kohli's?

I think that pretty much sums it up. Pujara is a very good player, but Kohli is an all-time great. There is no comparison - it is not 2013 anymore. Kohli has left him in his dust in the last five years.
    Back in 2013, Pujara was something else. He regressed massively after that. Everyone rated him very highly back those days. In contrast, Kohli wasn't that established enough in test cricket.

Now obviously no one would rate Pujara higher or even close to Kohli in even Pujara's best format as well. Even Rahane has regressed as well while many touted him as the next Dravid.
    Last edited by Ab Fan; 12th June 2018 at 19:37.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ab Fan View Post
    Back in 2013, Pujara was something else. He regressed massively after that. Everyone rated him very highly back those days. In contrast, Kohli wasn't that established enough in test cricket.

Now obviously no one would rate Pujara higher or even close to Kohli in even Pujara's best format as well. Even Rahane has regressed as well while many touted him as the next Dravid.
    I don't think he has regressed; he has been exposed for his inability to play outside Asia. He is still a terrific batsman at home, but he was expected to be an all-round batsman back in 2013. However, apart from that one innings in South Africa, he has consistently failed outside Asia, and is nowhere near Kohli.

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Biggest HTB.

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He is close to a recluse by nature. Difficult to find such individuals. Hopefully he does well.

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good only for flat pitches. One of the most overrated player, with an ordinary technique. The only similarity between him and Dravid is their strike rate. He doesn't have the technique, tenacity or skills of Dravid, he only has Dravid's weaknesses and not his strengths. Because of those weakness, he was compared to Dravid.

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BaankeJi View Post
    He is close to a recluse by nature. Difficult to find such individuals. Hopefully he does well.
    Don't think so. He is all over the social media all the time.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    New Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Hasn’t he got an average of 12 in county season? Witt kohli not able to practise and Pujara averaging 12 our chances looks pretty bleak.. Would be a golden opportunity lost if we can’t win 3/4-0..

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    279 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by happydavy View Post
    Good only for flat pitches. One of the most overrated player, with an ordinary technique.
    He is not overrated with a Test average of 50+. One of the main reasons for India's current #1 Test ranking.

Debut
    Jun 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pujara will give his right arm to have Azhar Ali over seas record of past two years in reality Pujara is a poor mans Azhar Ali

Debut
    Jun 2015
    Venue
    Srinagar
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indian Azhar Ali, it's Kohli or bust for India as the others can't be counted on

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    286 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Big series for him. Needs to show he can score outside of Asia.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Che needs to give up his dream of returning to ODi side. Just win us away tests man.

He is different player what he was in last tour. His runs in LOI, will change his mind-set. Needs to put down thoughts of not scoring well in longer county games. You survive 60 balls in England, you can score 150+.

3WCs, #1 Test #1 ODI team, Fab 9: Sachin, Dravid, Saurav, Kumble, VVS, Viru, Zak, MSD, Yuvi

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Napa View Post
    He is not overrated with a Test average of 50+. One of the main reasons for India's current #1 Test ranking.
    He is overrated by those who think he is India’s best Test batsman.

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xoib View Post
    Pujara will give his right arm to have Azhar Ali over seas record of past two years in reality Pujara is a poor mans Azhar Ali
    This is very true. If Azhar is low impact, Pujara has been no impact away from subcontinent.

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think anyone has learnt any lesson. Result will be there for everyone to see.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    279 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He is overrated by those who think he is India’s best Test batsman.
    Kohli definitely has outperformed him the past few years, it is no contest between the two. However he gets another chance at redemption abroad with the upcoming England tour. The fact that he played county cricket to get ready shows that he is making an effort and is serious about doing well. Let's see how it goes.

Debut
    Dec 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BaankeJi View Post
    I don't think anyone has learnt any lesson. Result will be there for everyone to see.
    Well. They seem to have learnt to handle the media which is good. See SajĀ’s question about the Lords game and how CP turned it into purely about India!

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    298 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Just like Pakistan has invested a lot in Azhar and Shafiq, India have also done the same with Pujara and Rahane. None of them are consistent and reliable. Rahane was good last time he went to England but he also is very inconsistent.

Pujara should first start contributing for India abroad then give statements like these. If he doesn't perform this time as well he should retire from any cricket played outside India. He was supposed to be our next Dravid but he isn't fit to tie his shoe laces when it comes to playing abroad.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1582 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bala977 View Post
    Well. They seem to have learnt to handle the media which is good. See SajĀ’s question about the Lords game and how CP turned it into purely about India!
    Unlike Ashwin who has been very good in praising good players, this was not the answer I expected. Don't think it shows any great handling of media.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He is like Mahela except that Mahela was a good limited over player as well.

Debut
    May 2017
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Unlike Ashwin who has been very good in praising good players, this was not the answer I expected. Don't think it shows any great handling of media.
    Exactly what I thought. He should have praised the good performance of Pakistan in Lord's. I am sure Ashwin or Kohli would have done exactly that, that was lack of grace on Pujara's part.

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swashbuckler View Post
    Exactly what I thought. He should have praised the good performance of Pakistan in Lord's. I am sure Ashwin or Kohli would have done exactly that, that was lack of grace on Pujara's part.
    Where does the grace or the lack of it part comes here

didn't see too much of the match and just checked the scorecard but from an Indian perspective you always have to believe in yourself. Being honest, the last time we played Tests in England back in 2014 we did not play well at all.

But, we don't look at the other teams, rather we concentrate on playing to our potential and I can confidently say that we have a good bowling line-up and I feel that bowling in the Test series against England will be crucial. When it comes to our batting, we have improved a lot and we did well in South Africa, so we are very hopeful that we will do well in England this time around.

He clearly said that his focus is not what other do his focus is on what him and his team does, saz asked question regarding pressure on India as pak performed well in England, he simply replied about his and his team's focus.
    Last edited by Kroll; Yesterday at 18:34.

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Pujara is superior because if I am not wrong he hasn't got a century outside SC. Azhar is rubbish because he's Pakistani and pujara is very good because he's an Indian.
    Last edited by Kroll; Yesterday at 18:35.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Venue
    East Coast, US.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pooj couldn't even score as much runs as Ishant in his recent county stint, and he averaged 16 over 6 six innings in SA earlier this year. Yes, his 50 in that third test was crucial for the win, but in the other 5 innings his aggregate for 50 runs.

Should he be in the XI in England with that in mind?

I think that India carrying two local Gods [Pooj and Dhawan] who don't travel well in England could be disastrous.
    Last edited by Lefthanded; Yesterday at 20:29.

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    there seems to be a misplaced bit of aggro when asked question about playing Pakistan. There are ways to answer that question without sounding defensive.
    Anyhow, thats still better than how any Pakistani player would handle such questions.

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefthanded View Post
    Pooj couldn't even score as much runs as Ishant in his recent county stint, and he averaged 16 over 6 six innings in SA earlier this year. Yes, his 50 in that third test was crucial for the win, but in the other 5 innings his aggregate for 50 runs.

Should he be in the XI in England with that in mind?

I think that India carrying two local Gods [Pooj and Dhawan] who don't travel well in England could be disastrous.
    I wonder if the county would have him back considering such meager returns.

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Azhar has a better test record in England than pretty much any other Indian player. People dragging his name through the dirt by saying he is poor compared to Pujara really need to think hard before they say such things.

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AssassinatedDevil View Post
    Azhar has a better test record in England than pretty much any other Indian player. People dragging his name through the dirt by saying he is poor compared to Pujara really need to think hard before they say such things.
    Azhars crime is that he's pakistani I am sure if he was Indian he would say the total opposite.

Debut
    Mar 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AssassinatedDevil View Post
    Azhar has a better record in England than the likes of Sachin and Dravid?