User Tag List

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1642 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)

"Many of the current Indian batsmen have learnt from the mistakes of the past" : Cheteshwar Pujara

Cheteshwar Pujara is expected to play an important part in the upcoming Test series between England and India. In an interview with Saj for Sky Sports, the 30-year-old Indian batsman discussed Afghanistan's inaugural Test , Virat Kohli's captaincy and how India can keep Jos Buttler quiet in their upcoming series with England.

How do you feel your stint for Yorkshire has gone this season?

CHETESHWAR PUJARA: I think it's been good and useful preparation for me ahead of the Test series later this year. I believe it's gone well, but I feel that I have not scored enough runs in red-ball cricket even though I felt I was batting quite well in that format. However, I think it's gone a lot better in white-ball cricket for me during this season.

You've only played five one-day internationals for India during your career. Is that something you want to increase in the future?

CP: I would love to do that. I've been working a lot on my shorter-format cricket and I feel I have a chance as I think I am a player who can play and do well in all formats.

India are due to play Afghanistan in Afghanistan's inaugural Test match. What are your thoughts on the likes of Ireland and Afghanistan being given the opportunity to play Test cricket?

CP: I think it's really important that nations such as Ireland and Afghanistan are given the opportunity to play Test cricket. Afghanistan have already proved and showed to the world that they are a very good white-ball team. When it comes to ODIs and T20Is, Afghanistan have been playing some good cricket and I'm looking forward to seeing them given the chance to play Test cricket.

For Test cricket to survive I think more nations need to be given the opportunity play in this format. Test cricket needs to be popular around the globe and not just in a select few countries.

Pakistan recently managed an excellent win at Lord's against England. Do you think that win for Pakistan gives India some hope for later in the summer?

CP: I didn't see too much of the match and just checked the scorecard but from an Indian perspective you always have to believe in yourself. Being honest, the last time we played Tests in England back in 2014 we did not play well at all.

But, we don't look at the other teams, rather we concentrate on playing to our potential and I can confidently say that we have a good bowling line-up and I feel that bowling in the Test series against England will be crucial. When it comes to our batting, we have improved a lot and we did well in South Africa, so we are very hopeful that we will do well in England this time around.

Throughout the years India has always produced great batsmen, but in the modern era, a number of very good pace bowlers are coming out of India, why do you think that is?

CP: I think the Indian Premier League has to be given credit for this. The IPL is producing a lot of very good pace bowlers. Apart from the IPL, I think there are a lot of young cricketers in India who want to be fast bowlers and perhaps that wasn't the case in the past.

These boys are working very hard and focusing on pace bowling from a young age and nowadays there are a lot of opportunities in India for young, fast bowlers, whereas in the past it was all about spinners.These days India goes on overseas tours with a very strong pace-bowling group and credit must be given to the BCCI for this because they have focused on building a group of good quality fast-bowlers to serve India around the world.

Speaking of the Indian Premier League, Jos Buttler was one of the stars of the tournament. You must be concerned about his form ahead of the Test series later this year?

CP: Yes, hopefully we can get him out early. I think the key is to get him out into the middle as early as possible where he has to face a newish ball. No doubt he's a good player but we have to aim to get him out there in the middle when the ball is quite new and hard.

He obviously bats at number 6 or 7, but if we can get him facing our bowlers by the 30th over then I think we can build some pressure on him. I've seen the way he bats in white-ball cricket around the world and he's a fantastic player, so we will have to be on top of our game when he's at the crease.

James Anderson and Stuart Broad faced criticism after the Lord's Test match against Pakistan. Were you surprised at the levels of criticism they received?

CP: I was very surprised because both of them have been doing really well for their country for such a long period of time and have been so consistent. They are great bowlers and every bowler goes through a tough time or has a bad match or two, but I believe they deserve to be recognised as top bowlers who have been at the top of their profession for so many years.

What will the plans be from an Indian perspective against the likes of Anderson and Broad?

CP: I think that many of the current Indian batsmen have learnt from the mistakes of the past. We have the experience now as most of the squad will have been a part of the 2014 Test squad in England, so most of our batsmen will have played Test cricket in England previously, and that is really important.

I think if you have previous experience of overseas conditions in any country and you are going back there, then you will have a good idea of what works and what doesn't in those conditions. I believe that our previous experience of English conditions will be extremely vital this time around.

Do you think India have a good chance of defeating England in the Test series?

CP: I believe that we have a very good opportunity but you have to take it one match at a time. A lot can happen in a five-Test series and I think that it's best that as a team you focus on one match at a time rather than thinking about the entire series and what the outcome may be. Another thing that is vital is the preparation. It's important that we prepare well and then execute our plans. If we do that, then I think we have a very good chance of beating England.

What is it like to have Virat Kohli in the dressing room?

CP: He's very talkative, very passionate about cricket and he keeps the atmosphere going. The Indian team's dressing room nowadays is quite relaxed but there are also many young players who keep the atmosphere quite lively. The good thing is that all of the players enjoy each other's company on and off the field.

What are your thoughts on Kohli as a captain?

CP: So far the experience has been good. Even when MS Dhoni was leading the team, the atmosphere in the dressing room and out there in the middle was good. I've always enjoyed my cricket under the leadership of both Kohli and Dhoni. They are different characters, but I've really found it very motivating and satisfying to play under both captains.

What are your thoughts on the introduction of four-day Test matches?

CP: I would prefer to play five-day Test matches as I don't feel four days for a Test match is enough. We've been playing this format as five days for such a long time and I would like it to continue as five days, rather than it changing to four.

Finally, an India versus Pakistan Test match at Lord's in front of a packed house - does that sound appealing to you?

CP: Yes, that would be nice but that is something that I cannot really control or is in my hands. It's up to the Government to decide on such things and as cricketers we follow their guidelines. But if it was to happen, then I'd be ready for Pakistan. If it doesn't happen, then so be it, that's not my call.

http://www.skysports.com/cricket/new...nd-jos-buttler
    Last edited by MenInG; 12th June 2018 at 13:31.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good interview.

Pujara is the finest batsman in the Indian lineup.

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good fella. Hope he scores some runs in Eng.

Debut
    Feb 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best Indian test batsman currently. Clutch and a match and series winner. Whenever Pujara has scored clutch runs, India have won difficult series.

Sarfi as captain'll lead us to glory.Babar'll be our best odi bat & Haris'll be world class in tests

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    He is leagues below Kohli. People should stop repeating themselves.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    220 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    He is leagues below Kohli. People should stop repeating themselves.
    I remember an interview in 2013 where Steyn rated Pujara higher than Kohli.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    I remember an interview in 2013 where Steyn rated Pujara higher than Kohli.
    Pujara might be tougher to dismiss, but he is nothing more than a superior version of Azhar Ali, because of the fact that he is much better against spin.

His technique is overrated as well. His low back-lift makes him a bunny against bounce, and he rarely survives a testing spell of fast bowling. The tours of Australia and the recent South African tour exhibited the difference in class between the two players.

Kohli might surpass Tendulkar, while Pujara will remain a poor man's Dravid. He cannot impose himself on the opposition and scores far too slowly to have any influence on the game. The opposition doesn't view him as a threat, and his wicket is nowhere near as prized as Kohli's.

Those who are calling him India's best Test batsman - how many teams in the world would have Pujara over Kohli in their teams? Alternatively, how many teams would prefer to take his wicket over Kohli's?

I think that pretty much sums it up. Pujara is a very good player, but Kohli is an all-time great. There is no comparison - it is not 2013 anymore. Kohli has left him in his dust in the last five years.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pujara might be tougher to dismiss, but he is nothing more than a superior version of Azhar Ali, because of the fact that he is much better against spin.

His technique is overrated as well. His low back-lift makes him a bunny against bounce, and he rarely survives a testing spell of fast bowling. The tours of Australia and the recent South African tour exhibited the difference in class between the two players.

Kohli might surpass Tendulkar, while Pujara will remain a poor man's Dravid. He cannot impose himself on the opposition and scores far too slowly to have any influence on the game. The opposition doesn't view him as a threat, and his wicket is nowhere near as prized as Kohli's.

Those who are calling him India's best Test batsman - how many teams in the world would have Pujara over Kohli in their teams? Alternatively, how many teams would prefer to take his wicket over Kohli's?

I think that pretty much sums it up. Pujara is a very good player, but Kohli is an all-time great. There is no comparison - it is not 2013 anymore. Kohli has left him in his dust in the last five years.
    Back in 2013, Pujara was something else. He regressed massively after that. Everyone rated him very highly back those days. In contrast, Kohli wasn't that established enough in test cricket.

Now obviously no one would rate Pujara higher or even close to Kohli in even Pujara's best format as well. Even Rahane has regressed as well while many touted him as the next Dravid.
    Last edited by Ab Fan; 12th June 2018 at 19:37.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ab Fan View Post
    Back in 2013, Pujara was something else. He regressed massively after that. Everyone rated him very highly back those days. In contrast, Kohli wasn't that established enough in test cricket.

Now obviously no one would rate Pujara higher or even close to Kohli in even Pujara's best format as well. Even Rahane has regressed as well while many touted him as the next Dravid.
    I don't think he has regressed; he has been exposed for his inability to play outside Asia. He is still a terrific batsman at home, but he was expected to be an all-round batsman back in 2013. However, apart from that one innings in South Africa, he has consistently failed outside Asia, and is nowhere near Kohli.

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Biggest HTB.

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He is close to a recluse by nature. Difficult to find such individuals. Hopefully he does well.

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good only for flat pitches. One of the most overrated player, with an ordinary technique. The only similarity between him and Dravid is their strike rate. He doesn't have the technique, tenacity or skills of Dravid, he only has Dravid's weaknesses and not his strengths. Because of those weakness, he was compared to Dravid.

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BaankeJi View Post
    He is close to a recluse by nature. Difficult to find such individuals. Hopefully he does well.
    Don't think so. He is all over the social media all the time.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    New Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Hasn’t he got an average of 12 in county season? Witt kohli not able to practise and Pujara averaging 12 our chances looks pretty bleak.. Would be a golden opportunity lost if we can’t win 3/4-0..

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    298 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by happydavy View Post
    Good only for flat pitches. One of the most overrated player, with an ordinary technique.
    He is not overrated with a Test average of 50+. One of the main reasons for India's current #1 Test ranking.

Debut
    Jun 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pujara will give his right arm to have Azhar Ali over seas record of past two years in reality Pujara is a poor mans Azhar Ali

Debut
    Jun 2015
    Venue
    Srinagar
    Runs
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indian Azhar Ali, it's Kohli or bust for India as the others can't be counted on

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    341 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Big series for him. Needs to show he can score outside of Asia.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Che needs to give up his dream of returning to ODi side. Just win us away tests man.

He is different player what he was in last tour. His runs in LOI, will change his mind-set. Needs to put down thoughts of not scoring well in longer county games. You survive 60 balls in England, you can score 150+.

3WCs, #1 Test #1 ODI team, Fab 9: Sachin, Dravid, Saurav, Kumble, VVS, Viru, Zak, MSD, Yuvi

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Napa View Post
    He is not overrated with a Test average of 50+. One of the main reasons for India's current #1 Test ranking.
    He is overrated by those who think he is Indiaís best Test batsman.

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xoib View Post
    Pujara will give his right arm to have Azhar Ali over seas record of past two years in reality Pujara is a poor mans Azhar Ali
    This is very true. If Azhar is low impact, Pujara has been no impact away from subcontinent.

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think anyone has learnt any lesson. Result will be there for everyone to see.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    298 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He is overrated by those who think he is India’s best Test batsman.
    Kohli definitely has outperformed him the past few years, it is no contest between the two. However he gets another chance at redemption abroad with the upcoming England tour. The fact that he played county cricket to get ready shows that he is making an effort and is serious about doing well. Let's see how it goes.

Debut
    Dec 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BaankeJi View Post
    I don't think anyone has learnt any lesson. Result will be there for everyone to see.
    Well. They seem to have learnt to handle the media which is good. See Saj’s question about the Lords game and how CP turned it into purely about India!

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    326 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Just like Pakistan has invested a lot in Azhar and Shafiq, India have also done the same with Pujara and Rahane. None of them are consistent and reliable. Rahane was good last time he went to England but he also is very inconsistent.

Pujara should first start contributing for India abroad then give statements like these. If he doesn't perform this time as well he should retire from any cricket played outside India. He was supposed to be our next Dravid but he isn't fit to tie his shoe laces when it comes to playing abroad.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1642 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bala977 View Post
    Well. They seem to have learnt to handle the media which is good. See Saj¬’s question about the Lords game and how CP turned it into purely about India!
    Unlike Ashwin who has been very good in praising good players, this was not the answer I expected. Don't think it shows any great handling of media.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He is like Mahela except that Mahela was a good limited over player as well.

Debut
    May 2017
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Unlike Ashwin who has been very good in praising good players, this was not the answer I expected. Don't think it shows any great handling of media.
    Exactly what I thought. He should have praised the good performance of Pakistan in Lord's. I am sure Ashwin or Kohli would have done exactly that, that was lack of grace on Pujara's part.

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swashbuckler View Post
    Exactly what I thought. He should have praised the good performance of Pakistan in Lord's. I am sure Ashwin or Kohli would have done exactly that, that was lack of grace on Pujara's part.
    Where does the grace or the lack of it part comes here

didn't see too much of the match and just checked the scorecard but from an Indian perspective you always have to believe in yourself. Being honest, the last time we played Tests in England back in 2014 we did not play well at all.

But, we don't look at the other teams, rather we concentrate on playing to our potential and I can confidently say that we have a good bowling line-up and I feel that bowling in the Test series against England will be crucial. When it comes to our batting, we have improved a lot and we did well in South Africa, so we are very hopeful that we will do well in England this time around.

He clearly said that his focus is not what other do his focus is on what him and his team does, saz asked question regarding pressure on India as pak performed well in England, he simply replied about his and his team's focus.
    Last edited by Kroll; 17th June 2018 at 18:34.

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Pujara is superior because if I am not wrong he hasn't got a century outside SC. Azhar is rubbish because he's Pakistani and pujara is very good because he's an Indian.
    Last edited by Kroll; 17th June 2018 at 18:35.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Venue
    East Coast, US.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pooj couldn't even score as much runs as Ishant in his recent county stint, and he averaged 16 over 6 six innings in SA earlier this year. Yes, his 50 in that third test was crucial for the win, but in the other 5 innings his aggregate for 50 runs.

Should he be in the XI in England with that in mind?

I think that India carrying two local Gods [Pooj and Dhawan] who don't travel well in England could be disastrous.
    Last edited by Lefthanded; 17th June 2018 at 20:29.

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    there seems to be a misplaced bit of aggro when asked question about playing Pakistan. There are ways to answer that question without sounding defensive.
    Anyhow, thats still better than how any Pakistani player would handle such questions.

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefthanded View Post
    Pooj couldn't even score as much runs as Ishant in his recent county stint, and he averaged 16 over 6 six innings in SA earlier this year. Yes, his 50 in that third test was crucial for the win, but in the other 5 innings his aggregate for 50 runs.

Should he be in the XI in England with that in mind?

I think that India carrying two local Gods [Pooj and Dhawan] who don't travel well in England could be disastrous.
    I wonder if the county would have him back considering such meager returns.

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Azhar has a better test record in England than pretty much any other Indian player. People dragging his name through the dirt by saying he is poor compared to Pujara really need to think hard before they say such things.

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AssassinatedDevil View Post
    Azhar has a better test record in England than pretty much any other Indian player. People dragging his name through the dirt by saying he is poor compared to Pujara really need to think hard before they say such things.
    Azhars crime is that he's pakistani I am sure if he was Indian he would say the total opposite.

Debut
    Mar 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Azhar has a better record in England than the likes of Sachin and Dravid?

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    How? Literally how? Azhar Ali had a good 2016 series in England which was his second in England but Azhar's overall record in England is nothing to brag about.

Azhar Ali in 10 Tests and 20 innings in England has scored 514 runs at 28.55

I am not even bringing up the past Indian greats as it will be an insult to them. In the current team,

Rahane:

5 Tests 10 innings 299 runs at 33.22

M Vijay

5 Matches 10 innings 402 runs at 40.20

Bhuvneshwar Kumar

5 Matches 10 innings 247 runs at 27.44

Ashwin

2 matches 4 innings 106 runs at 35.33

Bhuvi averages close to Azhar and had a brilliant series with the bat and ball last time. All the Indian players in that series baring Dhoni hadn't played in England before. Vijay had a brilliant series and scored 400 runs. Not sure how you came up with that statement. Considering how badly MS Dhoni is criticised as a batsman especially in overseas condition, look at his performance in England:

12 matches 23 innings 778 runs at an average of 37.04 with 8 fifties.

Agree that Pujara and Kohli were big failures in 2014, but again Azhar barring 2016 has been a failure in England as well.

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rahul1 View Post
    Azhar has a better record in England than the likes of Sachin and Dravid?
    I meant compared to Indian players that toured around 2014 (kohli, pujara, sharma etc.) Didn't mean to compare him to players like Sachin and Dravid. Azhar's knocks came under pressure and were vital in drawing the 2 series in 2016 and 2018.
    Last edited by AssassinatedDevil; 18th June 2018 at 05:51.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Venue
    East Coast, US.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Rose View Post
    I wonder if the county would have him back considering such meager returns.
    Me too. I think that even though he's done well for Yorkshire before, it may depend on how he does for India in England this summer.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    India will be exposed if they bat first.

If it is a green pitch, India should bowl first to have a chance. BK can run through England's lineup.

If India bats first on a green top, they will be bundled out for under 150.

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    I meant compared to Indian players that toured around 2014 (kohli, pujara, sharma etc.) Didn't mean to compare him to players like Sachin and Dravid. Azhar's knocks came under pressure and were vital in drawing the 2 series in 2016 and 2018.
    Again wrong, see below

The first Test Pakistan won, Azhar scored 30 runs in total (Both innings combined)
    Second Test - Total of 9 runs (Pakistan Lost)
    Third Test - Azhar Scores 177 runs including a 100, Pakistan lose by 141 Runs
    Fourth Test - Azhar scores 49 in the first innings and remains 30 no in the second.

So yes it is a myth that the guy contributed to anything in that series. The first Test was won due to contributions from Asad and Misbah. The Fourth Test was won by contribution from Asad again who scored a 100 and Younis Khan who scored a brilliant double. Asad Shafiq should be credited for his performance in both the winning Tests and not Azhar.

So the only Test he contributed resulted in a loss for Pakistan. Not sure how you are coming up with these statements. On the contrary, Murali Vijay's 100 in the first Test and 95 in the second resulted in a win and a draw for India in the first two Tests. He ended up scoring 400 runs in that series at an average of 40. Rahane's only hundred in that series helped India win the Lord's Test.

As far as Azhar's contribution in 2018 goes, he averaged 16.75 in that series. Not sure how he has better record than anyone at this point.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SarfiBabarHaris View Post
    Best Indian test batsman currently. Clutch and a match and series winner. Whenever Pujara has scored clutch runs, India have won difficult series.
    In other words FTB

I canít recall a single inning he played outside Asia. He is basically poor manís Rahane

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SarfiBabarHaris View Post
    Poor mans Azhar ali he is nothing more.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by giri26 View Post
    Again wrong, see below

The first Test Pakistan won, Azhar scored 30 runs in total (Both innings combined)
    Second Test - Total of 9 runs (Pakistan Lost)
    Third Test - Azhar Scores 177 runs including a 100, Pakistan lose by 141 Runs
    Fourth Test - Azhar scores 49 in the first innings and remains 30 no in the second.

So yes it is a myth that the guy contributed to anything in that series. The first Test was won due to contributions from Asad and Misbah. The Fourth Test was won by contribution from Asad again who scored a 100 and Younis Khan who scored a brilliant double. Asad Shafiq should be credited for his performance in both the winning Tests and not Azhar.

So the only Test he contributed resulted in a loss for Pakistan. Not sure how you are coming up with these statements. On the contrary, Murali Vijay's 100 in the first Test and 95 in the second resulted in a win and a draw for India in the first two Tests. He ended up scoring 400 runs in that series at an average of 40. Rahane's only hundred in that series helped India win the Lord's Test.

As far as Azhar's contribution in 2018 goes, he averaged 16.75 in that series. Not sure how he has better record than anyone at this point.
    Terrific post!! Debunking the myths one by one
    Potw nominee?

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New day same score for Pujara. Clean bowled to Steyn for a grand duck, that makes his Yorkshire first class stint of this year with some 100 runs in 9/10 innings I guess.

If only pujara could bat with the same confidence and arrogance that he talks with. Always talking about himself and how he thinks he performs in difficult conditions when the truth is that he can't perform outside Asia.

Azhar Ali and Asad Shafiq over him anyday.

Debut
    Mar 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boi View Post

Elegantly bowled. It's beyond me how he's got a country deal. Steyn got him out the other too in list a game.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boi View Post

Mediocre player at best

Should be kicked out for away tours. He is basically tailender

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianG00se View Post
    Mediocre player at best

Should be kicked out for away tours. He is basically tailender
    Do we have any replacement in Ranji's? Should replace him with some of the good performers in the A team.

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are million and one replacements for batsmen in India. Pujara should be played only on SC pitches. Waste of space on away tours

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Venue
    Faisalabad.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dingolfy View Post
    Do we have any replacement in Ranji's? Should replace him with some of the good performers in the A team.
    Quote Originally Posted by pratiktc View Post
    There are million and one replacements for batsmen in India. Pujara should be played only on SC pitches. Waste of space on away tours
    India is the best place for young batsman.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very important test series for Che. Fans are losing patience now.

3WCs, #1 Test #1 ODI team, Fab 9: Sachin, Dravid, Saurav, Kumble, VVS, Viru, Zak, MSD, Yuvi

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dingolfy View Post
    Maybe we should blood in either P Shaw or S Gill. Im sure they can’t be any worse than him

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Out for 17. Yorkshire seem to be heading for an awful defeat.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1642 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    Lets see if he can learn anything from his Yorks stint

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Lets see if he can learn anything from his Yorks stint
    He has learnt nothing from his past county stints, and i wont be surprised if he is still mediocre. Its time team India starts thinking playing KL Rahul at #3

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pujara's batting is degrading day by day.

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    His form has been bad.Doesn’t bode well for India.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doesn't even make the 11!

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1642 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    If India continue to lose, I believe he will get a chance in one of the games during the series

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    West Indian great Michael Holding reckoned that India should never have left out Cheteshwar Pujara from the playing XI for the first Test at Edgbaston, that England won by 31 runs on Saturday.

“One thing I would like to see India do is … find a way to get Pujara into this team,” Holding told Sky Sports. “I do not understand how they are so reluctant to play Pujara. He’s too good a player.”

Pujara, the No. 6 ranked Test player, had only managed 172 runs at 14.33 from six games Yorkshire in the County Championship earlier this year and despite that fact that the Saurashtra batsman felt assured of his place in the XI, he was omitted from the XI with Shikhar Dhawan, who scored a pair in the tour game against Essex, retained as the opener and KL Rahul taking over Pujara’s position.

“If Kohli had no form, would they leave him out? I’m not saying Pujara is as good as Kohli because Kohli is way above everyone else. But when you have (for example) a Rahul Dravid, a VVS Laxman or a Sourav Ganguly who is not in excellent form, do you leave them out? No,” said Holding.

While Dhawan managed scores of 26 and 13, Rahul could only add four and 13. However, Holding suggested that India should look at the possibility of adding Pujara for the second Test, starting on August 9 at Lord’s, at the expense of allrounder Hardik Pandya.

“Pandya, it seems as if he’s the golden boy in this team. Everyone thinks he’s going to be the next Kapil Dev. He hasn’t shown that yet. “Why not pick a batsman (instead)? Pandya got a few runs in the second innings but is he a better batsman than Pujara? I don’t think so, and you don’t need him as a bowler in my eyes,” added Holding.

Pandya had little role to play with the ball despite the seamer friendly track as he sent down mere 10 overs in the first and innings and none in the second out of nearly 143 overs across two England innings’. With the bat, Pandya fared better scoring 22 and 31.

http://www.cricketcountry.com/news/i...holding-732630

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1642 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With so much media pressure, and the ones not playing always looking better than the ones playing, Kohli ll have to play Pujara probably in 2nd test match itself. However once Pujara fails in 2nd and 3rd test, blame will again be put on Kohli that he killed the confidence of Pujara. Head I win, tail you loose.

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

India must play Pujara and Kuldeep at Lord's: Harbhajan Singh

NEW DELHI: Indian spinner Harbhajan Singh has vouched for the inclusion of batsman Cheteshwar Pujara and chinaman bowler Kuldeep Yadav for Indiaís second Test against England starting Thursday. India opted for four fast bowlers and one spinner in R Ashwin during the first Test at Edgbaston also also left out the experienced Pujara from the line-up.

Pujaraís replacement at No. 3, KL Rahul managed 4 and 13 as no one, barring skipper Virat Kohli, could come up with an important contribution. More importantly, the lack of a second spinner hurt India, especially in the second innings as Sam Curran launched a counter attack on Ashwin, helping England recover from 81/7 to eventually put up 180 on the board, a total that proved match-winning for the home team.

Harbhajan, speaking to Mid Day stressed on the importance of Pujaraís presence in Indiaís Playing XI and added that the batsmanís experience of seeing out the new ball can be a vital factor for Indian batting.

ďI donít care who should be dropped, but the Lordís Test playing XI must have Pujara. He is a player who can take the polish off the new ball and stay at the crease,Ē Harbhajan said.

Pujara, the No. 6 ranked Test player, had only managed 172 runs at 14.33 from six games Yorkshire in the County Championship earlier this year, and despite feeling assured of his place in the XI, he was omitted from the side.

In England as a commentator for the Test series, Harbhajan also expressed a desire for India to have Kuldeep in their ranks. With nine wickets in two Tests, Kuldeep has shown tremendous promise to carry his limited-overs exploits into the Test format, a factor that can prove detrimental if India are to level the series at Lordís, whose surface is somewhat conducive to spin, and the possibility of playing a wristspinner along with Ashwin should help Indiaís chances.

ďAgain, I am not bothered who is dropped but Kuldeep must play,Ē Harbhajan emphasized.

India lost the first match of the five Test series by 31 runs but will take heart from the fact that the last time they played a Test at Lordís (in 2014), the side won by 95 runs with Ishant Sharma producing his career-best figures of 7/74.

http://www.cricketcountry.com/news/i...n-singh-733056

Debut
    Jun 2015
    Venue
    Srinagar
    Runs
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will likely replace Rahul, let's see if he is among the batsmen who've learned from their mistakes

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Pujara will most likely come back into the team for the second Test. I will leave out Dhawan though and keep Rahul in the X1.

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Venue
    Jeddah
    Runs
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ChePu is back

Don't see us ascending from 7th/6th in the near future. 5-0 in England and South Africa awaits us, we will be lucky to even draw one match.

Debut
    Jun 2015
    Venue
    Srinagar
    Runs
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't blame him today, Kohli probably thought he'd be run out and was a bit selfish. Can't blame him either with the batting performance last match