Jan 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Albert Einsten the racist - his newly published diaries reveal

Einstein's travel diaries reveal 'shocking' xenophobia

Private journals kept by the scientist and humanitarian icon show prejudiced attitudes towards the people he met while travelling in Asia

The publication of Albert Einstein’s private diaries detailing his tour of Asia in the 1920s reveals the theoretical physicist and humanitarian icon’s racist attitudes to the people he met on his travels, particularly the Chinese.
    Further passages in the diaries, which are thought to have been written for Einstein’s stepdaughters in Berlin while he and his wife were travelling in Asia, Spain and Palestine, and as an aide memoire, see him writing of the Chinese that “even those reduced to working like horses never give the impression of conscious suffering. A peculiar herd-like nation [ … ] often more like automatons than people.” He later adds, in Rosenkranz’s words, “a healthy dose of extreme misogyny” to his xenophobia with the observation: “I noticed how little difference there is between men and women; I don’t understand what kind of fatal attraction Chinese women possess which enthrals the corresponding men to such an extent that they are incapable of defending themselves against the formidable blessing of offspring”.
    In Colombo in Ceylon, Einstein writes of how the locals “live in great filth and considerable stench at ground level” adding that they “do little, and need little. The simple economic cycle of life.” .
    “Einstein’s diary entries on the biological origin of the alleged intellectual inferiority of the Japanese, Chinese, and Indians are definitely not understated and can be viewed as racist – in these instances, other peoples are portrayed as being biologically inferior, a clear hallmark of racism. The disquieting comment that the Chinese may ‘supplant all other races’ is also most revealing in this regard,” writes Rosenkranz.

“Here, Einstein perceives a foreign ‘race’ as a threat, which … is one of the characteristics of a racist ideology. Yet the remark that must strike the modern reader as most offensive is his feigning not to understand how Chinese men can find their women sufficiently attractive to have offspring with them. In light of these instances, we must conclude that Einstein did make quite a few racist and dehumanising comments in the diary, some of which were extremely unpleasant.”
    https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...ing-xenophobia

Rosenkranz told the Guardian that although views like Einstein’s were prevalent at the time, they were not universal. “That’s usually the reaction I get – ‘we have to understand, he was of the zeitgeist, part of the time’ – but I think I tried here and there to give a broader context. There were other views out there, more tolerant views,” he said.
    In other words, any excuse of the type "well that was the norm in those days" is not valid.

“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule”

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Many people still do not like Asian women and hold the exact same view as Einstein.

You read the internet articles and comments section, everything is racist. Blacks on whites, whites on blacks, Asians, Indians...

Debut
    Jan 2012
    Venue
    Sialkot
    Runs
    Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But his works benefited all races. Period.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by troodon View Post
    Many people still do not like Asian women and hold the exact same view as Einstein.

You read the internet articles and comments section, everything is racist. Blacks on whites, whites on blacks, Asians, Indians...
    Yellow fever is a thing in western countries. In fact according to data, marriage between white men and east Asian women is extremely common and the most prevalent interracial marriage.

"Be the best version of yourself"

Debut
    May 2012
    Venue
    Barad-dûr
    Runs
    Mentioned
    450 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    He admired Ravindranath Tagore and Vedanta philosophy though.

Tazimi Sirdar

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    493 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Maybe he had a bad time on his travels this particular year.

He was opposed to the Jewish state because of how the inhabitants would then be treated. I dont think he was racist in nature.

Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of Sheep

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4473 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKhanWC View Post
    Maybe he had a bad time on his travels this particular year.

He was opposed to the Jewish state because of how the inhabitants would then be treated. I dont think he was racist in nature.
    True, I don't blame his writings especially when it came to his travels in India

Debut
    Nov 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TM Riddle View Post
    He admired Ravindranath Tagore and Vedanta philosophy though.
    I don't think he had the knowledge of Vedanta as physicists like Heisenberg and esp. Schrödinger.

What he liked in Vedanta was the pantheism he also admired in a fellow Jew, Spinoza, and his youthful fav. philosopher is the most Indophile of all Europeans : Schopenhauer.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    493 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaz619 View Post
    True, I don't blame his writings especially when it came to his travels in India
    The sample is so small from October 1922 to March 1923, less than 6 months. When returning from travels it's easy to generalise, I have done it myself a few times after returning from certain nations but this doesn't mean I'm racist. Exactly imagine a man of superiour intelligence and understanding of the world, universe, laws of physics having to witness humans acting in ways which are primal, it's must be confusing and frustrating esp if he was subjected to some unfriendly treatment.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    493 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by enkidu_ View Post
    I don't think he had the knowledge of Vedanta as physicists like Heisenberg and esp. Schrödinger.

What he liked in Vedanta was the pantheism he also admired in a fellow Jew, Spinoza, and his youthful fav. philosopher is the most Indophile of all Europeans : Schopenhauer.
    In your view was he a racist?

Debut
    Nov 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    In your view was he a racist?
    Yes.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    493 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes.
    Because of these revelations, his diary account of Chinese, Indians etc or are you aware of other details?

Debut
    Nov 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Because of these revelations, his diary account of Chinese, Indians etc or are you aware of other details?
    Nope. In the works by/about him I came across there's his cosmetic rhetoric "humanism", but never went into such diaries and details. Their publication will be interesting.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    493 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Nope. In the works by/about him I came across there's his cosmetic rhetoric "humanism", but never went into such diaries and details. Their publication will be interesting.
    Fair enough, thanks.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    298 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Einstein has been built into a "humanitarian icon" by the liberal establishment that wants a share of his glory.

Of course the liberal media suppresses facts about his life, such as his dominating nature and extra-marital affairs (including his wife's sister):

https://www.ibtimes.co.uk/albert-ein...etters-1478644

Einstein was a great man. It is just that he was also belonged to the real world, rather than a world of delusional liberal politically correct fantasies.

At the very least Einstein owes a lot to India for his science, his second most important work after relativity was Bose-Einstein Statistics, which was a translation of Bose's work.

Einstein's name, like Newton's and Galileo's will live forever.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1225 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    In terms of Chinese being a herd like nation and not showing their suffering his views still stand imo

Debut
    Jan 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    "...Einstein’s diary entries on the biological origin of the alleged intellectual inferiority of the Japanese, Chinese, and Indians are definitely not understated and can be viewed as racist – in these instances, other peoples are portrayed as being biologically inferior, a clear hallmark of racism."
    It's laughable to read posters defending his racism just because he was a brilliant scientist. Being a racist and also a genius are not mutually exclusive traits.

“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule”

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    It's laughable to read posters defending his racism just because he was a brilliant scientist. Being a racist and also a genius are not mutually exclusive traits.
    Maybe you lost respect for him. but my respect for him remains untarnished. anyway racist shaming is the new pastime of bored liberals who are now digging from old diaries to make themselves feel righteous.

Debut
    Jan 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CricketCartoons View Post
    Maybe you lost respect for him. but my respect for him remains untarnished. anyway racist shaming is the new pastime of bored liberals who are now digging from old diaries to make themselves feel righteous.
    I respect the fact that he was a genius, a brilliant scientist. I do not respect the fact that he thought people like me (and you), and our forefathers, ie those from the Indian sub-Continent (along with China and Japan) are/were biologically inferior. But if you still respect that aspect of him, then fair enough, who am I to argue with how your views are in that regard.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4597 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Racism is as old as the evolution of humans into different species. One can go as far back as Aristotle and find “racism” in his teachings.

However, people became aware of racism much, much later. As the world developed, globalization happened had people from different nationalities and races started to compete for resources, they realized that giving preference to a group of people based on their appearance was wrong.

It was until the 19th century that racism because an issue that people cared about. I would ignore the notion that Islam ended racism in the 7th century, because it would spiral the discussion into a different realm.

Hence, the outlook of racism in Einstein’s time was not the same as it is today, and we cannot judge him from the same lens. He was a genius, but he was still shaped by the society and environment that he grew up in.

If Einstein was around today, it is unlikely that he would have held the same “orientalist” views, and even if he did, he would not write about it in his diary (or Tweet about it), since people today are actively looking for opportunities to accuse others of being racist.

On a more controversial note, perhaps people like Einstein are allowed to be somewhat racist? After all, he was superior to other humans and was probably naturally predisposed to thinking that most humans were inferior to him.

This begs the question - are most geniuses racist, and have the majority of the high achievers in history exhibited racist tendencies?

I think it would make a fantastic research topic.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All these aristocratic type Brits are racists at heart! Winston Churchill was another one painted as a saint but hater of coloured people.

PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Yorkshire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PakLFC View Post
    All these aristocratic type Brits are racists at heart! Winston Churchill was another one painted as a saint but hater of coloured people.
    Einstein was German.

Debut
    Nov 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Einstein was German.
    He was a Jew, so his ideas are even more surpising considering how Jews were themselves seen in German society (a bit like another migrant group from the East, basically, the Romanis.)

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    687 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    In later life he advocated for Civil Rights. A person's views can change over a lifetime.

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Venue
    Andromeda
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    SJWs

Didn't even bother to read the article.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Racism is as old as the evolution of humans into different species. One can go as far back as Aristotle and find “racism” in his teachings.

However, people became aware of racism much, much later. As the world developed, globalization happened had people from different nationalities and races started to compete for resources, they realized that giving preference to a group of people based on their appearance was wrong.

It was until the 19th century that racism because an issue that people cared about. I would ignore the notion that Islam ended racism in the 7th century, because it would spiral the discussion into a different realm.

Hence, the outlook of racism in Einstein’s time was not the same as it is today, and we cannot judge him from the same lens. He was a genius, but he was still shaped by the society and environment that he grew up in.

If Einstein was around today, it is unlikely that he would have held the same “orientalist” views, and even if he did, he would not write about it in his diary (or Tweet about it), since people today are actively looking for opportunities to accuse others of being racist.

On a more controversial note, perhaps people like Einstein are allowed to be somewhat racist? After all, he was superior to other humans and was probably naturally predisposed to thinking that most humans were inferior to him.

This begs the question - are most geniuses racist, and have the majority of the high achievers in history exhibited racist tendencies?

I think it would make a fantastic research topic.
    Is there any evidence to suggest the geniuses exhibited racist tendencies? You would need more than the example of Einstein to make it a worthwhile research.

I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4597 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Rishwat View Post
    Is there any evidence to suggest the geniuses exhibited racist tendencies? You would need more than the example of Einstein to make it a worthwhile research.
    That is why I think it would make for a great research topic. It remains to be seen if Einstein was the only genius to exhibit racism. I hope not.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4597 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    In later life he advocated for Civil Rights. A person's views can change over a lifetime.
    Are racism and advocacy of civil rights mutual exclusive? I don't think so.

Debut
    Jan 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Civil Rights for everybody, regardless of race, colour or creed? Or Civil Rights only for those not being seen by him as being 'biologically inferior'? Those who are more familiar with his work in this regard could perhaps answer.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    That is why I think it would make for a great research topic. It remains to be seen if Einstein was the only genius to exhibit racism. I hope not.
    I am intrigued, why would you hope that more geniuses displayed traits of racism? Is racism a view you feel holds merit? If so, could you give us your reasons for this view?

Debut
    Jan 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I am intrigued, why would you hope that more geniuses displayed traits of racism? Is racism a view you feel holds merit? If so, could you give us your reasons for this view?
    I believe his earlier post already gives an idea as to his views on the topic.

On a more controversial note, perhaps people like Einstein are allowed to be somewhat racist? After all, he was superior to other humans and was probably naturally predisposed to thinking that most humans were inferior to him..
    Who defines what makes an individual 'superior' to others? Everyone has different abilities. Doesn't mean they're a 'superior' or an 'inferior' individual to someone who's a brilliant mathematician and physicist. I'm sure even Einsten was cr*p at many things compared to others. For example, how was he at running the 100 metres compared with Jesse Owens?

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4597 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    I believe his earlier post already gives an idea as to his views on the topic.

Who defines what makes an individual 'superior' to others? Everyone has different abilities. Doesn't mean they're a 'superior' or an 'inferior' individual to someone who's a brilliant mathematician and physicist. I'm sure even Einsten was cr*p at many things compared to others. For example, how was he at running the 100 metres compared with Jesse Owens?
    That is a really good point. I suppose it comes down to mental intellect vs physical gifts, and which set of abilities would provide more good to a greater number of people in the long run. Has intellectuals and scientists done more for the world or athletes or artists?

Or perhaps high achievers in all fields that require natural talent and ability should be allowed to think of themselves as superior to other humans?

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4597 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Perhaps an exception could be made for geniuses and high-achievers. Narcissism often goes hand in hand with achievement, and it can lead to racism as well.

Debut
    Jan 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    That is a really good point. I suppose it comes down to mental intellect vs physical gifts, and which set of abilities would provide more good to a greater number of people in the long run. Has intellectuals and scientists done more for the world or athletes or artists?

Or perhaps high achievers in all fields that require natural talent and ability should be allowed to think of themselves as superior to other humans?
    You say 'mental intellect vs physical gifts'. Who defines level of 'mental intellect'? For example, a friend of mine relocated from the UK to the USA. Before he went to the States he was informed that since his children did not have a U.S. history of year-by-year high educational grades (due to coming from the UK school system) one way of getting his children into the 'gifted stream' in the county school system was if they had high IQ levels.

So before leaving the UK he had his children's IQ assessed by a recognised professional. Upon arriving in the US he discovered that the IQ assessment needed to be performed by a psychologist on the county's school board's list. And guess what? The IQ scores were significantly lower! And the reason? They assessments were tailored for children living/growing up in the USA, being familiar with 'American' english spelling & grammar (as opposed to 'English' english), being familiar with American history, geography ...etc.

So did their IQ or 'mental intellect' change in the few hours the plane took to hop over the Atlantic?

Debut
    Jan 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Perhaps an exception could be made for geniuses and high-achievers. Narcissism often goes hand in hand with achievement, and it can lead to racism as well.
    I believe that, generally speaking, high achievers (in whatever field) thinking of themselves as being somehow superior to others is not racism, but simply being conceited, egotistical, and big-headed.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    687 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    You say 'mental intellect vs physical gifts'. Who defines level of 'mental intellect'? For example, a friend of mine relocated from the UK to the USA. Before he went to the States he was informed that since his children did not have a U.S. history of year-by-year high educational grades (due to coming from the UK school system) one way of getting his children into the 'gifted stream' in the county school system was if they had high IQ levels.

So before leaving the UK he had his children's IQ assessed by a recognised professional. Upon arriving in the US he discovered that the IQ assessment needed to be performed by a psychologist on the county's school board's list. And guess what? The IQ scores were significantly lower! And the reason? They assessments were tailored for children living/growing up in the USA, being familiar with 'American' english spelling & grammar (as opposed to 'English' english), being familiar with American history, geography ...etc.

So did their IQ or 'mental intellect' change in the few hours the plane took to hop over the Atlantic?
    That is very interesting, jibing with the work of an American lady who does workshops on systemic racism and who claims that the tests are rigged.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    I believe that, generally speaking, high achievers (in whatever field) thinking of themselves as being somehow superior to others is not racism, but simply being conceited, egotistical, and big-headed.
    Yes, that is what was confusing me, I didn't see where the racial aspect comes into it. I don't know if Mamoon is really thinking along the lines of the work of Charles Murray, The Bell Curve, but just doesn't want to say it openly, hence why he's using geniuses as a way of saying it in a roundabout way.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Einstein was German.
    Yeah! We know German's have never been racists!

Debut
    Apr 2007
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    208 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Its not just high achiever, look at entire human race Vs 5M others, we are extremist racist about them, we don't care what they are or what they need, if they are not part of our food chain, we destroy them. We always plan and think about ourselves or our needs, if in the process something good comes out, we get higher moral or spiritual satisfaction, that itself is a selfish act...When we say saving the planet, its also a selfish slogan, we want to save it for our consumption. Planet does not need to be saved, its our selfish need, we are highly demanding species, like a royal blood, who needs lot of resources to keep the leg up the rest of the commoner

There is always an element of superiority complex with respect to any special skill you have, genius have an extra ordinary intelligence. If you look at any genius of history, prophets, God (although its a fictional character), but he is the most arrogant of us all, reason for his arrogance is that "I am better than you at everything", tribalism is fundamental social construct of Human beings, this was a survival mechanism. That ideology is racist at the fundamental level

Plus genius are generally good at very special traits. Many of them does not focus on social issues and politics of the time, they pick whatever is popular or common at that time. That's why many scientists had hard time with giving up religion in past, even though that blocked their scientific development. This happens to both Newton and Einstein. Newton wasted most of his life decoding Bible. Einstein could not keep terms with irrationality of Quantum world, for him nature at fundamental level cannot be that Chaotic. Maybe he picked up tribalism from whatever was common at that time...

If you want to do things that are certain to succeed, you are doing very obvious thing - E Musk

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    657 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I believe all human beings are born racist. It is just one of those things that we have to unlearn in our lifetime.

But im surprised he holds such views about Chinese women. I find East Asian women comfortably the most attractive

Debut
    Sep 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe he didn't have a look at his own wife or other jewish people for that matter before passing such remarks about Chinese people

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikhil_cric View Post
    I believe all human beings are born racist. It is just one of those things that we have to unlearn in our lifetime.

But im surprised he holds such views about Chinese women. I find East Asian women comfortably the most attractive
    I don't believe human beings are born racist at all, it's just a reflection of your society and ingrained ideas which get passed down. There is racial curiosity, that is only natural, same as you would be curious about someone who had black hair in a society of blondes. The thing about Chinese women is also just ingrained behaviour, back then people would have thought they looked weird, now it's become a fetish in America, maybe due to the wars they took part in Korea and Vietnam.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Yorkshire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PakLFC View Post
    Yeah! We know German's have never been racists!
    I just said that he was German. I have no idea about his racism or lack of. I was replying to a post that seemed to suggest he was a British aristocrat, which made no sense really.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just said that he was German. I have no idea about his racism or lack of. I was replying to a post that seemed to suggest he was a British aristocrat, which made no sense really.
    Yeah I get you. Phillip the so called Prince is another racist always making Indian jokes. I am not at all implying that common Brits are racists but the high clergy and aristocrats are.