Oct 2010
    Venue
    Hemel/Coventry
    Runs
    Mentioned
    209 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spain sack manager Julen Lopetegui, to be replaced by Fernando Hierro [Hierro steps down Update #10]

Spain sacked head coach Julen Lopetegui after he was named the new Real Madrid boss - two days before their opening World Cup match against Portugal.

Real Madrid announced on Tuesday that Lopetegui would succeed Zinedine Zidane at the Bernabeu on a three-year-deal.

The Spanish football federation (RFEF) said it had dismissed the 51-year-old because the negotiation occurred "without any information to the RFEF".

The World Cup in Russia starts on Thursday.

"I know it's a very difficult situation. I know there's going to be criticism whatever I do," said RFEF president Luis Rubiales, who was told of Lopetegui's new role five minutes before it was announced.

"I'm sure this will, in time, make us stronger. I admire Julen very much, I respect him very much. He seems a top trainer and that makes it harder to make the decision.

"You can't do things this way, two or three days before the World Cup. We have been compelled to make this decision."

Lopetegui became Spain manager in 2016 following Vicente del Bosque's retirement, and remained unbeaten through his reign.

Spain won 14 of 20 games with Lopetegui in charge, drawing the remaining six.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44467548

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Big news coming just hours after Lopetegui's sacking.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He is the one who built the squad for 2 years and prepared. Poor decision by Spain to sack him.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1712 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Comical.

But what do you expect from a country which charges politicians with “rebellion” and “sedition”?

There’s something very Banana Republic about their attitudes to obedience and dissent.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1671 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    I think, it was a cautious call by Spanish FA. Among major countries, Spain is only team whose 2/3rd+ players come from 2 mafia - it was a valid concern that this guy would be forced to pick more Real players in starting XI. Apart from ego, it's business as well - Spain is only major country where TV rights for La Liga are sold by Clubs, not Spanish FA, therefore in a country deep into economic troubles, 2 clubs are wrapping up almost 80% of the football revenue there.

Only disturbing issue here is National Manager was sacked unceremoniously, but no one is going to touch the Mafia behind this and Spanish people deserves it - despite being the most talented Soccer nation in Europe, Spain's Football glory in International stage is too thin; because most Spanish gives a damn about what La Furia Roja does .... they are happy as long as Real/Barca is winning it domestically & in UEFA.

Spain was one of my 4 favorites - Germany V Spain & France V Brazil a possible SF lineup with France taking on Germany in Final; this might open the door a bit wider for Portugal & Argentina.
    Last edited by MMHS; 14th June 2018 at 18:15.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1671 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MMHS View Post
    I think, it was a cautious call by Spanish FA. Among major countries, Spain is only team whose 2/3rd+ players come from 2 mafia - it was a valid concern that this guy would be forced to pick more Real players in starting XI. Apart from ego, it's business as well - Spain is only major country where TV rights for La Liga are sold by Clubs, not Spanish FA, therefore in a country deep into economic troubles, 2 clubs are wrapping up almost 80% of the football revenue there.

Only disturbing issue here is National Manager was sacked unceremoniously, but no one is going to touch the Mafia behind this and Spanish people deserves it - despite being the most talented Soccer nation in Europe, Spain's Football glory in International stage is too thin; because most Spanish gives a damn about what La Furia Roja does .... they are happy as long as Real/Barca is winning it domestically & in UEFA.

Spain was one of my 4 favorites - Germany V Spain & France V Brazil a possible SF lineup with France taking on Germany in Final; this might open the door a bit wider for Portugal & Argentina.
    Thank you Real Madrid - Spanish players must be fresh, come September.....

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spain can thank RM for this, but as an England fan I'll thank them instead

hahahahah joke of a nation

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1470 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Hierro was so negative.

He seemed so reluctant to discard the 2 holding midfielders when they weren't needed against Russia.

Very rigid thinking and a lack of flexibility from him.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Yorkshire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    248 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Successful tournaments are years in the making, can’t place all of the blame on the coach if he had 2 days to prepare.

I thought the Spanish players generally underperformed - a 3-3 with Portugal, narrowly beating Iran, scraping a draw against Morocco, and losing to Russia on penalties is a pretty poor effort overall from footballers of their supposed calibre.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Fernando Hierro walks away from Spain after World Cup disappointment

Fernando Hierro, Spain’s stand-in coach during the World Cup, is to leave the Spanish football federation after turning down the chance to return to his former role as sporting director.

Hierro has instead decided to “seek new horizons and undertake new professional challenges”, the RFEF said in a statement. The 50-year-old took charge of Spain after Julen Lopetegui was sacked on the eve of the tournament after agreeing to become Real Madrid coach following the tournament.

Under Hierro, Spain finished top of Group B but were knocked out at the last-16 stage following a penalty shootout defeat to Russia. The former Real Madrid defender was the Federation’s sporting director on two separate occasions, between 2007 and 2011 – during which time the national team won the European Championships and World Cup – and then again from November 2017.

“After walking many kilometres side by side, the Spanish Football Federation and Fernando Hierro have brought their relationship to an end following the conclusion of Spain’s campaign at the World Cup in Russia,” the RFEF said. “The most recent coach of the Spain national team has declined [the opportunity] to return to his previous position as RFEF sporting director and wishes to seek new horizons and undertake new professional challenges.

“The Federation would like to place on record its thanks to Fernando Hierro for his commitment and sense of responsibility, both in taking over the national team in extraordinary circumstances, and in the manner in which he has carried out all his functions at an organisation whose doors will always be open to him. The Federation would also like to highlight the professional and human values shown by an extraordinary sportsman to whom it wishes the best of luck for the future.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football...disappointment

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!