User Tag List

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spain sack manager Julen Lopetegui, to be replaced by Fernando Hierro [Update Post #2]

Spain sacked head coach Julen Lopetegui after he was named the new Real Madrid boss - two days before their opening World Cup match against Portugal.

Real Madrid announced on Tuesday that Lopetegui would succeed Zinedine Zidane at the Bernabeu on a three-year-deal.

The Spanish football federation (RFEF) said it had dismissed the 51-year-old because the negotiation occurred "without any information to the RFEF".

The World Cup in Russia starts on Thursday.

"I know it's a very difficult situation. I know there's going to be criticism whatever I do," said RFEF president Luis Rubiales, who was told of Lopetegui's new role five minutes before it was announced.

"I'm sure this will, in time, make us stronger. I admire Julen very much, I respect him very much. He seems a top trainer and that makes it harder to make the decision.

"You can't do things this way, two or three days before the World Cup. We have been compelled to make this decision."

Lopetegui became Spain manager in 2016 following Vicente del Bosque's retirement, and remained unbeaten through his reign.

Spain won 14 of 20 games with Lopetegui in charge, drawing the remaining six.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44467548

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Big news coming just hours after Lopetegui's sacking.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    292 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He is the one who built the squad for 2 years and prepared. Poor decision by Spain to sack him.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1572 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Comical.

But what do you expect from a country which charges politicians with “rebellion” and “sedition”?

There’s something very Banana Republic about their attitudes to obedience and dissent.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1471 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    I think, it was a cautious call by Spanish FA. Among major countries, Spain is only team whose 2/3rd+ players come from 2 mafia - it was a valid concern that this guy would be forced to pick more Real players in starting XI. Apart from ego, it's business as well - Spain is only major country where TV rights for La Liga are sold by Clubs, not Spanish FA, therefore in a country deep into economic troubles, 2 clubs are wrapping up almost 80% of the football revenue there.

Only disturbing issue here is National Manager was sacked unceremoniously, but no one is going to touch the Mafia behind this and Spanish people deserves it - despite being the most talented Soccer nation in Europe, Spain's Football glory in International stage is too thin; because most Spanish gives a damn about what La Furia Roja does .... they are happy as long as Real/Barca is winning it domestically & in UEFA.

Spain was one of my 4 favorites - Germany V Spain & France V Brazil a possible SF lineup with France taking on Germany in Final; this might open the door a bit wider for Portugal & Argentina.
    Last edited by MMHS; 14th June 2018 at 17:15.