Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Salma_T View Post
    But many are using that as a reason for not backing the English team. Yes the yob behaviour isn't good but why take it out on the team
    As idrizzy pointed out, many of the fans who don't back England are bitter, but then you have to ask why would they be bitter? Maybe Mamoon can tell us why his relatives don't support England, I'm not sure the reasons given are the whole story. I already mentioned the 2003 qualifier between England and Turkey which was played in Sunderland, where the chant going round the ground was "I would rather be a **** than a Turk". There was barely a murmur about it in the press, although the silence surrounding it was palpably uncomfortable. Another memorable football chant of not too distant past was "your just a town full of *****" sung at Leicester FC by away fans. I think there are genuine underlying reasons why there is bitterness there, what I will say is that it is decreasing, and despite all this, most Pakistanis born and brought up in England do support their national side.

I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Again you may have noticed the post above has the abbreviation for Pakistanis filtered out by asterisks, this is clue enough to realise there is still perceived to be a problem.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a racist element in the supporters no denying that! I still remember a guy being beaten up by football thugs after an English win in the late 90s early 2000's. Surprising as it sounds this is the most mixed English at a world cup

Debut
    Mar 2007
    Venue
    Birmingham, England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is racism about football fans, but a lot of us donít love England any less because of the racists. The team unite the whole
    country and itís a special feeling.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wasim_Waqar View Post
    There is racism about football fans, but a lot of us don’t love England any less because of the racists. The team unite the whole
    country and it’s a special feeling.
    Which is absolutely the right attitude to have, we are as English as anyone else, far better to own it than let the ugly element dictate who you are. The racists don't represent England any more than the haters represent Pakistani Brits. I think the country has moved on a lot in the last 30 years, you only have to look at the England team to see that.

Debut
    Mar 2007
    Venue
    Birmingham, England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Rishwat View Post
    Which is absolutely the right attitude to have, we are as English as anyone else, far better to own it than let the ugly element dictate who you are. The racists don't represent England any more than the haters represent Pakistani Brits. I think the country has moved on a lot in the last 30 years, you only have to look at the England team to see that.
    Absolutely. Itís good to see people happy together and being proud of the good things about England. Positive thinking and unity really helps and promotes love amongst humans. Iíve not seen it like this for many many years. Certainly not in my adult life. I agree things have certainly improved in recent decades which again is positive.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Finally the result I was waiting for. Go back england.. better luck next time.

Debut
    Aug 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am disappointed but there you go. First time England come up against a proper good opposition and they get thoroughly outplayed. Tbh, England are very lucky to even get to this stage because this is a bang average team. Hope the pundits and the media spare us the ** and call things as they are.

England continue to be the most underachieving team in world football.

Debut
    May 2012
    Venue
    Barad-dŻr
    Runs
    Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    In your face...HA!

Tazimi Sirdar

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dios View Post
    I am disappointed but there you go. First time England come up against a proper good opposition and they get thoroughly outplayed. Tbh, England are very lucky to even get to this stage because this is a bang average team. Hope the pundits and the media spare us the ** and call things as they are.

England continue to be the most underachieving team in world football.
    ? if England is average team then they overachieved not under achieved by reaching semi-final

Debut
    May 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by srh View Post
    ? if England is average team then they overachieved not under achieved by reaching semi-final
    I wouldnt bother with logic lol.

Good tournament for them. Did better than most expected. Average draw or not: Argentina, Germany, Spain and many others could not do it with a way to the same path.

I think France will run over Croatia. They must be tired and Kante Pogba will be ready to take over.

No one likes me cause I am a Paul Heyman guy.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1630 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Aug 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by srh View Post
    The current team is indeed very average and have overachieved in this tournament by getting this far but that is because of luck and facing subpar opposition until the semi-finals and not because they have performed particularly well.

Historically speaking, England is the most underachieving team in world football considering all the resources they have and the fact that it is home to one of the big two domestic leagues and this remains the case.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    910 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    There you go. At some point you need to score from open play.

Unless England learn how to control a game in possession they'll never win a tournament. Top teams in tricky moments get their foot on the ball and take the sting out of the game for 10 minutes.

Croatia's experience also told in this regard whereas England kept losing the ball. Fitness played a factor. Croatia already went to extra time twice already which helped battle harden them.

Also 3-5-2 is a tough formation to coach - its very hard on your WBs.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Lol the only thing coming home is the England team... Empty handed

Does cricket survive off of it's money or does it survive for it's money?

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markhor View Post
    There you go. At some point you need to score from open play.

Unless England learn how to control a game in possession they'll never win a tournament. Top teams in tricky moments get their foot on the ball and take the sting out of the game for 10 minutes.

Croatia's experience also told in this regard whereas England kept losing the ball. Fitness played a factor. Croatia already went to extra time twice already which helped battle harden them.

Also 3-5-2 is a tough formation to coach - its very hard on your WBs.
    Simply this. They didn't have the quality up front to score goals without a set piece or penalty.

Does cricket survive off of it's money or does it survive for it's money?

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4514 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Glad that their fluke run is over. An average team that had the rub of the green for far too long, and were exposed against the only two quality teams that they have faced.

@idrizzy

Please accept my humble commiseration. Considering the number of Spurs players in the England team, it is no surprise that England pulled off a Spurs - they applied a lot of pressure, but won nothing in the end.

No penalty, no party for Kane. Another abysmal display against a quality team, but don't worry, he is more valuable to England than Neymar is to Brazil.

Also, you should be upbeat about the fact that Spurs is better than Arsenal and will continue to put a lot of pressure in the Premier League next season, but as usual, will win nothing in the end.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    Not quite all there.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    913 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    On their flight back to London::

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1490 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    England got into the weakest group, which didn't expose them. The only tough game they had, was against Belgium reserves. In KO stages, I don't think if James was available, England could have kept it equal after 120 minutes. Only game they played well actually was against Sweden.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm heart broken. Watched the game and my family were interested too despite the fact they don't know much about football. Was so happy when we scored, looking forward to the final but Croatia dominated us from the 2nd half onwards. I'm really sad about this as would have been great for the country had we made the final Would rather have lost 1-0 than go ahead, get excited and then lose from a winning position

Debut
    Nov 2010
    Venue
    Between Venus & Mars
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So much football is played in England yet the quality they produce is quite average. I wonder why !

" Don't wait. The time will never be just right "

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It's coming home, England is coming home.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    457 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    amazing result.

Debut
    Feb 2013
    Venue
    God's Own Country.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    220 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I am happy on England’s ouster

2 deserving candidates are now in the final.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1490 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Really surprised today too see England being dominated such by an aged Croatia team in extra time. For such a young team, with average 5/6 years age gap, this only tells that Croats were technically & tactically far, far superior - they out positioned & out run a much younger/stronger English team. I was backing Croatia to edge past today, but not like this. After the game, I tried to reason, what's not working.

England is the biggest under achiever in International Soccer, despite having everything to be a soccer super power. I think, main reason of their down fall is their club dominant soccer system; same like Spain. On individual players' skill, Spain produces the best talent in Europe, on top of that several Latin players migrate to Spain, but their National record is negligible, compared to Italy, Germany & France (even arguably Holland), because of Real & Barca. The last golden generation of Spain had about 7 starter from Barca and they played as an unit - Spain won 3 back to back majors.

English soccer is a bit physical - much lower in skill than Spain, France & Holland, & much inferior tactically than German, Italian & French game, hence their National team is often predictable, and a poor tournament team. In recent times, England has won few junior level titles, back to back Toulun football tournament (best U20 soccer tournament outside FIFA & UEFA, arranged by French FA), and their FIFA ranking is much higher than their soccer quality. Only explanation I can give is that at junior level their boys physically dominate better skilled and technically sound boys from main land Europe & Latin america, but their game doesn't develop beyond Hary Kane & Henderson level - at highest level, they don't have that cutting edge.

Similarly, FIFA Ranking is based mostly on friendlies which again is dominated by England. In friendlies, often teams/players don't press it hardest, and England dominates them on physicality. Before this WC, England played 6 friendlies in last few months - At home 0-0 with Germany & Brazil, 1-1 against Italy, 2-1 against Nigeria, 2-0 against Costa Rica and an away win (1-0) at Holland. I can confidently say that, in a tournament, even at home apart from Nigeria & Costa Rica, England will lose all or most of the other 4 games.

Another problem/issue in England (EPL), which I am sure lot of people have noticed - in EPL for top clubs, most of the critical spots are occupied by foreigners. To me, most important 5 spots in a soccer team in the GK, CB pairing, No. 10, No. 6 & No. 9 - you need exceptional talent to be world class in those spots. MCity, MU, Liverpool, CFC, Spurs & Arsenal all have their key players from abroad - today Kane & Ali actually proved what's it like to play in front of Eriksen and in front of Henderson. And, there is absolutely no play maker in England - I wrote it even when they were flying high: "They have put a runner in No. 10 shirt", who often runs like a head less chicken. And, worst part is - there is no protection for home grown young players. For the statuary requirement (8 home grown over 21 players in 25 men list of EPL), often top teams fill the 8 with 3rd GK, 4th & 5th CBs and back-up wingers (For Liverpool, we had Danny Inngs!!!), U23 English players even often don't start for Huddersfield Town!!!!!

For EPL and Liverpool, I have a soft corner for English football, but today I wasn't impressed at all. Losing to this Croatia is not a big deal, but in total 2/3 shots at GK in 120 minutes (fortunately 1 earned a goal), and allowing them to hunt back in a WC SF was too low. Today's MoM for me was jointly Modric & Pickford, which probably sums up England's day. FA has to get their priority and act fixed, otherwise English soccer might head towards Scotland. In 1958, out of 7 Euro qualifier, 4 were from British Isles, in 1988 EURO, out of 7, 3 were ENG, SCT, IRL - today out of 14, only 1 English speaking country qualified for WC - something must not be right in a soccer mad country with unlimited riches.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Newark
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A tournament where Germany can lose to Mexico/S Korea, Spain to Russia an an England fan, I am proud they came so far with a young team.
    Michael Owen wrote in his column few days back that I have lived and will always live with regrets of major international tournaments thinking "what if". With that miss around 35 minute mark Kane can join Owen.
    After that miss England lost the plot. Their lack of experience started showing. Croats midfielders who have played 60 extra minutes in last 2 games started outrunning them by miles. Alli, Lingard and Young were taken out of the game.
    However I am happy with Pickford, Maguire, Trippier and stones bar one mistake.
    By Euro 2020 this lot will be more cohesive, confident and experienced.
    Last edited by SamNJ; 12th July 2018 at 03:40.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    676 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aloo paratha View Post
    Simply this. They didn't have the quality up front to score goals without a set piece or penalty.
    The quality is there in Sterling but he overthinks things in an England shirt. I have seen it many times with England players.

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Congrats to Croatia on a brilliant performance, many criticising England would not have expected us reaching the last 4; the draw being in our favor was negated by our lack of experience and the nature of this tournament where upsets have been frequent in addition to each team being at the WC finals on merit through a qualification process when the likes of Italy and Holland did not make it, then there is handling the pressure of a huge event and they performed very well.

Many foreigners wont see this but football did come home, in a country which has been so divided we became unified and for first time in ages this team of youngster beauties made us believe again putting smiles on the faces of our entire nation, so football is coming home, our national treasures are coming home after restoring pride and honour to the 3 lions on the shirt.
    Last edited by hadi123; 12th July 2018 at 12:21.

Debut
    Dec 2014
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Needed wilshere in there for one of lingard Ali or sterling to use and keep the ball better in midfield.
    We couldn't keep it long enough in the middle and too thirds.
    Huge opportunity missed

If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got #improve

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SamNJ View Post
    A tournament where Germany can lose to Mexico/S Korea, Spain to Russia an an England fan, I am proud they came so far with a young team.
    Michael Owen wrote in his column few days back that I have lived and will always live with regrets of major international tournaments thinking "what if". With that miss around 35 minute mark Kane can join Owen.
    After that miss England lost the plot. Their lack of experience started showing. Croats midfielders who have played 60 extra minutes in last 2 games started outrunning them by miles. Alli, Lingard and Young were taken out of the game.
    However I am happy with Pickford, Maguire, Trippier and stones bar one mistake.
    By Euro 2020 this lot will be more cohesive, confident and experienced.
    I have been hearing a lot of this over the last couple of days and it concerns me because it is papering over some cracks. The country will have big expectations now when the Euros come round, forgetting that in recent history, England has tended to do better in world cups than the Euros. The reason is simple, the world cup has a lot of weaker teams from Africa and Asia where football isn't professional, in the Euros, there are much fewer weak teams. People need to keep some perspective, England didn't actually beat any major sides to get to the semis.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1490 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    I have been hearing a lot of this over the last couple of days and it concerns me because it is papering over some cracks. The country will have big expectations now when the Euros come round, forgetting that in recent history, England has tended to do better in world cups than the Euros. The reason is simple, the world cup has a lot of weaker teams from Africa and Asia where football isn't professional, in the Euros, there are much fewer weak teams. People need to keep some perspective, England didn't actually beat any major sides to get to the semis.
    They did beat Sweden with clear margin (soccer has changed lot - today 2 goals margin is domination) and this is a very good Sweden side - beat France in qualifier, then cost Holland & Italy a WC qualification, finally cost Germany at group stage and beat Switzerland inside 90 minutes. But, England played their worst game in SF, when you consider that this aged Croatia team was playing their 3rd game in 10/12 days in 3 different venues and all 3 went to 120 minutes.

This year Euro is starting from September and they have changed the format (for details, check wiki, itís Platiniís brain child), and the SF/Final is to be hosted at Wembley - the tournament will be played over 12 countries and not necessarily every host needs to qualify for final stage. If England can reach last 8, they wonít get a better chance to win Euro that 2020, playing last 3 games at London.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Glad that their fluke run is over. An average team that had the rub of the green for far too long, and were exposed against the only two quality teams that they have faced.

@idrizzy

Please accept my humble commiseration. Considering the number of Spurs players in the England team, it is no surprise that England pulled off a Spurs - they applied a lot of pressure, but won nothing in the end.

No penalty, no party for Kane. Another abysmal display against a quality team, but don't worry, he is more valuable to England than Neymar is to Brazil.

Also, you should be upbeat about the fact that Spurs is better than Arsenal and will continue to put a lot of pressure in the Premier League next season, but as usual, will win nothing in the end.
    England are by no teams a top quality side, I agree. They had the better rub of the green in the draw, but make no mistake that IF Kane put that chance away, it might've been a different result. England played awful 2nd half, some shoddy defending and Croatia win it. From ET we wanted pens, and that was clear.

I still think Croatia aren't that better of a side than England and France would beat both sides 9/10. Also you gotta realise that Belgium B side beat England B side, not that the A teams faced each other.

LOL yeah, I mean it's hard to disagree with you. But like I said I personally take whoever finishes above a certain team has played better than all the teams it is above. Spurs will end up finishing above Arsenal but they probably won't win anything. Then again, Arsenal will finish outside top 6 and it'll be another failure of a season for them too.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Croatia played very well in the 2nd half and beyond. England didn't turn up at all.

England media are poo and deserve to get slated by the likes of Modric. But the media doesn't equate to the fans. We were happy regardless, having reached a SF is a huge achievement.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1040 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Newark
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree that challenges will only get tougher for England.
    Expectations will rise. Also Germany, Italy,Spain and Netherlands should also get better in this time.
    My point was that core of this team is pretty solid. With more playing time together and experience they will be more equipped to see off crucial phases in big games.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4514 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by idrizzy View Post
    England are by no teams a top quality side, I agree. They had the better rub of the green in the draw, but make no mistake that IF Kane put that chance away, it might've been a different result. England played awful 2nd half, some shoddy defending and Croatia win it. From ET we wanted pens, and that was clear.

I still think Croatia aren't that better of a side than England and France would beat both sides 9/10. Also you gotta realise that Belgium B side beat England B side, not that the A teams faced each other.

LOL yeah, I mean it's hard to disagree with you. But like I said I personally take whoever finishes above a certain team has played better than all the teams it is above. Spurs will end up finishing above Arsenal but they probably won't win anything. Then again, Arsenal will finish outside top 6 and it'll be another failure of a season for them too.
    There are too many donkeys in this English team - Lingard, Kane, Henderson, Alli, Trippier etc. As a result, any team that can play football is going to give them a footballing lesson.

They ran Croatia raggard in the first half, but once Modric (better CM than anyone England has ever produced) and Rakitic found their footing, it was similar to 2011 Champions League final between Man United and Barcelona - a footballing lesson on how to control the tempo of the game.

I agree with @MMHS that Euro 2020 is Englandís best opportunity, but England will not win a single trophy unless they produce a world class DLP - someone who can ping balls on both flanks, control the tempo of the game and is adept at one touch passing.

English mentality is obsessed with physicality and headless chickens, which is why they have several midfielders who are jacks of all but masters of none, can run for hours and cover every single blade of grass, but controlling the game is beyond their abilities.

Yesterday, every single English midfielder would knock Modric out in a minute, but no one can touch him when it comes to footballing class.

Looking at the English midfielders, only Wilshere has the technique and the footballing brain to play the DLP role, but Pellegrini will have to ensure that he gives up the obsession of dribbling past players as soon as he gets the ball.

His chaotic, haphazard style of play has done his career no good, and Wenger has failed to mold him into a DLP which is his strongest position.

He did play a few games for England in that role last year and looked very good, and now it is time for him to return to the fold.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are too many donkeys in this English team - Lingard, Kane, Henderson, Alli, Trippier etc. As a result, any team that can play football is going to give them a footballing lesson.

They ran Croatia raggard in the first half, but once Modric (better CM than anyone England has ever produced) and Rakitic found their footing, it was similar to 2011 Champions League final between Man United and Barcelona - a footballing lesson on how to control the tempo of the game.

I agree with @MMHS that Euro 2020 is England’s best opportunity, but England will not win a single trophy unless they produce a world class DLP - someone who can ping balls on both flanks, control the tempo of the game and is adept at one touch passing.

English mentality is obsessed with physicality and headless chickens, which is why they have several midfielders who are jacks of all but masters of none, can run for hours and cover every single blade of grass, but controlling the game is beyond their abilities.

Yesterday, every single English midfielder would knock Modric out in a minute, but no one can touch him when it comes to footballing class.

Looking at the English midfielders, only Wilshere has the technique and the footballing brain to play the DLP role, but Pellegrini will have to ensure that he gives up the obsession of dribbling past players as soon as he gets the ball.

His chaotic, haphazard style of play has done his career no good, and Wenger has failed to mold him into a DLP which is his strongest position.

He did play a few games for England in that role last year and looked very good, and now it is time for him to return to the fold.
    2nd half onwards English were chasing their tails. No doubt. They wanted penalties as soon as it hit ET.

"Playing football" is a term that is subjective though. Some teams win ugly, some teams win pretty. We're more of the Stoke City calibre of long ball football but we do have the ability to play better. Southgate played the players who played well for the season, and got the best out of them with a 3-5-2. Can't really ask for more except that the English players themselves gotta step it up a notch. Alli has the luxury of having Eriksen, Lingard has Pogba, Kane has a more suited formation, etc.

Nearly all places are up for grabs coming Euro 2020 and with a new season there'll be new opportunities for people like Wilshere to prove to everyone he should be in this England team. I was actually puzzled why he wasn't in the squad tbh.

Either way it's a great opportunity for all young (and experienced) English players. People like Trent-Arnold, Loftus Cheek, Wilshere, Rashford, Shelvey, Lallana. But on an even more younger scale you got guys like Angel Gomes, Sancho, Willock, Reese Oxford, Chong, Gribbin, Chalobah and Sessengon. There's a host of other players who I've missed out and some of these are out abroad, while others wait for an opportunity at their clubs. Will be an interesting next couple years for these guys.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah View Post
    Needed wilshere in there for one of lingard Ali or sterling to use and keep the ball better in midfield.
    We couldn't keep it long enough in the middle and too thirds.
    Huge opportunity missed
    He is cr@P and would have done nothing, it happens when one team loses all knifes are out and when there winning even the worse players are hyped up to be great.

Now Modric who struggled against a poor Denmark and was average against Russia the lowest rank team in the WC is suddenly already the Ballon D'or winner.

Truth is England lost the game on tactics and missed opportunities, it was a game of 2 halfs, and after England dominated the first and missed there opportunities, Croatia changed there shape and tactics and southgate refused to change his, he was one manager who was so hyped up coming into the game but when he was tested for the first time he bottled it.

After England were on top in the first half no one would have though Croatia will make the game so one sided after half time, but they did because they changed there setup to hit England on there weak areas and Southgate refused to see this, he should have instantly changed the setup to 4-4-2 or 4-5-1 when England were struggling, but he didnt change anything and Croatia forced both England wingbacks to go right back making it a 5-3-2 leaving the middle of the park empty for Croatian players to dominate.

If you want to destroy a country, just create enmity between its people and their army - Salahuddin

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1421 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    A friend of mine had this to say today to me "England were in the easist group, they played a depleted Colombia team missing their best player and only just beat them on penalties, they beat an awful Sweden team and have lost to the only 2 decent teams they have played so far at the World Cup."

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    A friend of mine had this to say today to me "England were in the easist group, they played a depleted Colombia team missing their best player and only just beat them on penalties, they beat an awful Sweden team and have lost to the only 2 decent teams they have played so far at the World Cup."
    I'd end my friendship there and then if I were you, sounds like a casual football fan that tunes in once every 4 years or watching footy for the first time. But this is what really happened:

Each team England fought had to qualify for the grandest sporting event via a very gruelling qualification process where the likes of Holland and Italy failed to qualify.

Each game was a do or die situation in high pressure situations of the WC finals where anything can happen in a tournament where Germany were beaten by South Korea and failed to win a game vs Sweden in 90 minutes.

In the recent past England were defeated by Iceland and also failed to win a KO game since 2006 and had never won a penalty shoot out in a WC.

But despite these factors England routed our fellow Muslim brothers Tunisia (Allah ni Marzi) and Panama (Astagfirullah) before fielding their second string team vs Belgium which led to defeat. Having qualified for the KO stage, they would then violate one of the greatest heel wrestling teams of all time in Columbia (Subhanallah!) and then qualified for the semis by causing people to question the quality of the Swedish team ! that's how bad England savagely beat them.

Then in one of the greatest miracles of all time since Jesus turned water into whine Croatia escaped their first 45 minutes vs England with just 1 goal down, despite their alleged superior quality they would just about get into the WC final after having life / death with England.

At each stage no one expected England to reach the semi-final regardless of the draw and despite being the youngest team in the tournament they handled the pressure of a big stage very well and punched above their weight to restore pride and honour to the 3 lions on the shirt Alhamdullilah, millions would smile in England again because football would finally return home.
    Last edited by shaz619; 12th July 2018 at 22:06.

Ah, so this is what it feels like

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    England lost to the first decent team they played in the tournament. Ian Wright prior to the match was all cocky making it sound England would win with their eyes closed. His comment of how England will parade the trophy after winning the final would be all the inspiration Croatia needed. After the match Roy Keane mocked Ian Wright off for his stupidity. It was similar to how Sehwag was taunting us before the CT final last year then we tanked them like no one's business Don't speak to soon!

PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Venue
    Hawks Fortress
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4746 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Lol at Colombia not being a decent team and how Sweden automatically turn crap, despite beating Italy in the playoffs, despite finishing above Netherlands in the qualifiers and topping their World Cup group which contained Germany.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Venue
    Hawks Fortress
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4746 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)

I agree with @MMHS that Euro 2020 is England’s best opportunity, but England will not win a single trophy unless they produce a world class DLP - someone who can ping balls on both flanks, control the tempo of the game and is adept at one touch passing.

It's never the time to bring Wilshere back into any fold for England. Barring a freak night at the Emirates almost a decade ago, his career has been almost as bad as @shaz619 obsession with wrestling.

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We didn't play teams like Panama and Sweden hence we are out. Need to get rid of a lot of useless players if we want to win euros. Starting with Henderson.

Debut
    Jan 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    753 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Great performance from the lads really did the nation proud. With all the political turmoil over Brexit the football team did manage to unite the nation over the last few weeks. And tbh most Brit Paks of mine and younger generations were supporting England we have grown up in a society where racism has been less prevalent and socially acceptable. I get those guys who are a bit older who suffered racism and dont want to support england. But i myself have experienced it in my school days just have to rise above it and realise most arent like that. But yeah some people who have the ABE anyone but England mentality i do find weird and a bit namak haram behaviour tbh when its england that has given them the opportunity to live a better life. By all means dont support England but actively hating Englands success while u were born and bred here i find odd n reeking of bitterness. But as others have said its often people who havent ventured out their own areas have only friends from the same background that hold these views.

Debut
    Jan 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    753 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    England did miss that drive from midfield someone like Oxlade Chamberlain would have been a great asset for England.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by London_Lahori View Post
    Lol at Colombia not being a decent team and how Sweden automatically turn crap, despite beating Italy in the playoffs, despite finishing above Netherlands in the qualifiers and topping their World Cup group which contained Germany.
    Colombia were missing their best player, and we aren't just talking about any best player, but one who is a major world star who is their match winner. Sweden were a decent team, but no one really expected much of them despite finishing ahead of poor Dutch or Italian teams in the qualifiers. If you take your St Georges specs off and look at it objectively you would agree that it's wrong to get too carried away on the back of the results. Encouraging yes, but still a lot to prove yet for me.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adil_94 View Post
    Great performance from the lads really did the nation proud. With all the political turmoil over Brexit the football team did manage to unite the nation over the last few weeks. And tbh most Brit Paks of mine and younger generations were supporting England we have grown up in a society where racism has been less prevalent and socially acceptable. I get those guys who are a bit older who suffered racism and dont want to support england. But i myself have experienced it in my school days just have to rise above it and realise most arent like that. But yeah some people who have the ABE anyone but England mentality i do find weird and a bit namak haram behaviour tbh when its england that has given them the opportunity to live a better life. By all means dont support England but actively hating Englands success while u were born and bred here i find odd n reeking of bitterness. But as others have said its often people who havent ventured out their own areas have only friends from the same background that hold these views.
    I don't really understand that argument, although it has been raised a few times. If you live in a Pakistani area, and you never meet anyone outside your own group, why would you have any ill feelings towards the England team? It would be like a different world you would be ambivalent about at best I would have thought. I've always lived in a white area so would be fascinated to hear your views on how this mentality comes about.
    Last edited by Cpt. Rishwat; 13th July 2018 at 11:43.

Debut
    Dec 2014
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PetroDollars View Post
    He is cr@P and would have done nothing, it happens when one team loses all knifes are out and when there winning even the worse players are hyped up to be great.

Now Modric who struggled against a poor Denmark and was average against Russia the lowest rank team in the WC is suddenly already the Ballon D'or winner.

Truth is England lost the game on tactics and missed opportunities, it was a game of 2 halfs, and after England dominated the first and missed there opportunities, Croatia changed there shape and tactics and southgate refused to change his, he was one manager who was so hyped up coming into the game but when he was tested for the first time he bottled it.

After England were on top in the first half no one would have though Croatia will make the game so one sided after half time, but they did because they changed there setup to hit England on there weak areas and Southgate refused to see this, he should have instantly changed the setup to 4-4-2 or 4-5-1 when England were struggling, but he didnt change anything and Croatia forced both England wingbacks to go right back making it a 5-3-2 leaving the middle of the park empty for Croatian players to dominate.
    We missed somebody who could keep hold of the ball in the middle of the park, dictate the tempo, recieve it in tight areas and got past people.
    Alli and lingard are off the ball runner's . They are not going to run a game from the middle of the park, slowing and speeding up play when needed.
    Wilshere I abetter than them at so feeding halls through.
    We missed his type and lallana.

I'm fine with how we did this tournament, I'm just suggesting the improvements

If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got #improve

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    @MenInG @Saj @KingKhanWC

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaz619 View Post
    @MenInG @Saj @KingKhanWC

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1490 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    I understand what you are saying, and agree.

BUT, even you are using St. George's Cross, instead of Union Jack - how it's uniting Britain? When I was in UK as a kid, we hardly saw red cross in white for English games - be Soccer, Cricket, Rugby ... even in Wimbledon, it was Union Jack. In 1966, there was not a single England flag at Wembley!!!!!

The amount of animosity I see (read) from Scots, Irish and even Wales men for England/English that I doubt Empire will ever be united. Here in Toronto, few Scots & Irish I know were actually supporting Croatia!!!!! Even I doubt, how long British Lion will exist in Rugby or Britain will participate in Olympics. I tell you, if Scotland gets their independence, 1st day they'll join EU, while Irish will erase the boundary in between them - they hate English team even more than France (for Henry's handball)!!!!!

PS: No offense to any community/race - if I am wrong, please do excuse my ignorence, just sharing my experience.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    478 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @MenInG @Saj @KingKhanWC

The 4 games which England won created a massive buzz around the country, people in England will hold those memories forever. I was at a BBQ watching the England v Columbia game. There was two Asians including me and the other 20 people were all white English. When England won the shootout the celebrations were were amazing to see and yes everyone was united. I really enjoyed it this world cup seeing England progress to the semis.

Please dont confuse my analysis with me not being fully supportive of England.

Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of Sheep

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Yorkshire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Colombia were missing their best player, and we aren't just talking about any best player, but one who is a major world star who is their match winner. Sweden were a decent team, but no one really expected much of them despite finishing ahead of poor Dutch or Italian teams in the qualifiers. If you take your St Georges specs off and look at it objectively you would agree that it's wrong to get too carried away on the back of the results. Encouraging yes, but still a lot to prove yet for me.
    I agree, the right answer here is in the middle. Wrong to act like jingoistic zealots who have just won the tournament; also wrong to be miserable, mocking and rude about Englandís performances. This is just an encouraging and potentially exciting foundation that has been laid by a bright young team.

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MMHS View Post
    I understand what you are saying, and agree.

BUT, even you are using St. George's Cross, instead of Union Jack - how it's uniting Britain? When I was in UK as a kid, we hardly saw red cross in white for English games - be Soccer, Cricket, Rugby ... even in Wimbledon, it was Union Jack. In 1966, there was not a single England flag at Wembley!!!!!

The amount of animosity I see (read) from Scots, Irish and even Wales men for England/English that I doubt Empire will ever be united. Here in Toronto, few Scots & Irish I know were actually supporting Croatia!!!!! Even I doubt, how long British Lion will exist in Rugby or Britain will participate in Olympics. I tell you, if Scotland gets their independence, 1st day they'll join EU, while Irish will erase the boundary in between them - they hate English team even more than France (for Henry's handball)!!!!!

PS: No offense to any community/race - if I am wrong, please do excuse my ignorence, just sharing my experience.
    When I spoke of unity it was within the country of England rather then the UK as a whole, we've been divided for a while internally but it was great to see everyone united and share moments of happiness through out the campaign regardless of religious beliefs, race or political views. To be fair you will find me waving the union jack more then the St. George Cross, in England we've been bought up on the patriotism which stems from the idea of a United Kingdom so no surprises by those flags in 1966 or 1992 !

The Scots, Irish and Welsh will generally poke fun at us from time to time because at the end of the day we don't have a Team GB at the World Cup and those countries on our Island have football teams of their own to support even if they are dreadful it makes their day to see their neighbours lose. Additionally it's just history, there will always be some animosity but at the end of the day regardless of should have, could have or what we would do now Scotland voted against their independence and Wales / NI still bow to her majesty the Queen !

I do have a dream though that one day we will see a GB football team at a World Cup but it is unlikely due to the differences which do exist no doubt about that !

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKhanWC View Post
    The 4 games which England won created a massive buzz around the country, people in England will hold those memories forever. I was at a BBQ watching the England v Columbia game. There was two Asians including me and the other 20 people were all white English. When England won the shootout the celebrations were were amazing to see and yes everyone was united. I really enjoyed it this world cup seeing England progress to the semis.

Please dont confuse my analysis with me not being fully supportive of England.
    I don't disagree with most of you analysis I agree with it and this England team still got some way to go but also wanted to focus on our positives to because we are a young side and did things past England teams failed to do, but just defending those fans who have been hopeful optimistic, don't like it when they can be painted with the same brush as some of the arrogant idiots who have been behaving poorly but also dealt with thanks to the good fans !

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    @MMHS What would your XI be of a Team GB in this moment, besides Bale any other talents that would improve the overall strength

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I agree, the right answer here is in the middle. Wrong to act like jingoistic zealots who have just won the tournament; also wrong to be miserable, mocking and rude about England’s performances. This is just an encouraging and potentially exciting foundation that has been laid by a bright young team.
    I think your last three words sum it up quite nicely. It is indeed a bright young team, one I have felt more affinity to than any other in a long time. The way I see it, there is a structure of a decent team there, it just needs the addition of a spark of invention in midfield or genius up front to take it to the next level. We've heard all this before though about golden generations, so I would rather take it one step at a time and see where we are in two years time at the Euros.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    478 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't disagree with most of you analysis I agree with it and this England team still got some way to go but also wanted to focus on our positives to because we are a young side and did things past England teams failed to do, but just defending those fans who have been hopeful optimistic, don't like it when they can be painted with the same brush as some of the arrogant idiots who have been behaving poorly but also dealt with thanks to the good fans !
    Thats fine but when Pakistan lose in a semi final , they are ripped to shreds by passionate Pak fans. The team is young and they will learn but does this mean in 2 years they will be on of the favourites in your opinion to win the Euros?

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    478 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think your last three words sum it up quite nicely. It is indeed a bright young team, one I have felt more affinity to than any other in a long time. The way I see it, there is a structure of a decent team there, it just needs the addition of a spark of invention in midfield or genius up front to take it to the next level. We've heard all this before though about golden generations, so I would rather take it one step at a time and see where we are in two years time at the Euros.
    Its not easy to find a genius such as Gazza who can unlock a defence either by dribbling past a few players or having the vision to find a through ball to an attacker.

There are two problems with England teams.

1. The manager is never willing to adapt or change when required. It was obvious to anyone watching Croatia turned the England back 3 into a back 5 and therefore were finding plenty of room in midfield, thus controlling the game. Southgate was not willing to change the formation at any stage, allowing Croatia to press forward with wave after wave until they found the net on both occasions. In return England were playing long balls hoping it would bounce right for someone ahead.

2. England need to change their style of football ,the long ball method can work but wont win you the World Cup. With this you are giving away the ball too easily and thus tiring yourself when the opposition keeps possession esp a team like Croatia who have excellent players who play the ball well on the ground. We need player with excellent touch and technique not physical and good in the air.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1490 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    @MMHS What would your XI be of a Team GB in this moment, besides Bale any other talents that would improve the overall strength
    I think, the tank is almost empty for Scotland - hardly anyone even for 23 men squad - I'll keep Robertson as left-back, just to ensure their participation.

From Wales, Bale definitely and I'll play 1 more in starting XI - Ramsey as Np. 10 & Ben Davis at back-up left back. Couple of years back, Ashley Willimas also had a chance, but now he is only good for squad.

From NI, one player should make the starting XI - Johnny Evans.

4231 won't work for England, Southgate is right actually; English players are not skilled and dynamic enough for that fluid system. I'll go with a very traditional 442 (4411).

Pickford
    Tripper, Stones, Evans, Robertson
    Alex-ox, Ramsey, Ali, Sterling
    Kane, Bale

British soccer has really gone down, looking at this squad you can realize. This can be explained with Liverpool FC as well. Today, what you see from Barca & Real, for almost 15 years Liverpool was like that in European soccer between 1970s to 1985 - 4 CL, 2 UEFA Cup, 7 English League, 4 FA Cups & 5/6 League Cup ..... That Liverpool generation was built entirely on British players, may be few from else where (Grobbler & Molbey comes to mind). But, from Toshak, Keegan, Dalglish, Alen Hansen, Phil Thompson, Kennedy, Heighway, Mcdermott, Souness, Whelan, Ian Rush, Barnes, Beardsley ... these are world class players.

Even more alarming is that, since Sir Alex, there had been no reputed British Manager - the style is ineffective, tactics are obsolete and absolutely no buying power outside British Isles. Best English/British managers are Big Sam, Tony Poulis,Ian Holloway, David Moyes, Mark Hughes ..... whereas top British managers used to manage clubs even in Italy & Spain before 1960s.

Today, if you make an EPL squad only from British base players, under a British Manager - it might get relegated in couple of years time!!!!

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKhanWC View Post
    Thats fine but when Pakistan lose in a semi final , they are ripped to shreds by passionate Pak fans. The team is young and they will learn but does this mean in 2 years they will be on of the favourites in your opinion to win the Euros?
    Not sure about that one:

https://www.reuters.com/article/idIN...56051920110401

Pakistan players welcomed home despite semi-final defeat

I recall them returning as heroes but anyway all of that is besides the point. Because we criticise relative to what we expect, you'd agree that past England teams were absolutely ripped to shreds because we expected them to perform so much better given their overall strength; in this instance it is unfair to criticise the England team for failing to reach the WC final and actually winning it when we all know that they overachieved by reaching the semi-final, this is why there is still room for improvement but they are positives like handling the pressure of a high profile tournament and winning a shoot out / KO games. Premature at this stage to have them as favourites we"ll have to see the overall make up of the squad before the tournament but I think some of the games will be in England alongside other countries to celebrate the anniversary so that should be an advantage.

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MMHS View Post
    I think, the tank is almost empty for Scotland - hardly anyone even for 23 men squad - I'll keep Robertson as left-back, just to ensure their participation.

From Wales, Bale definitely and I'll play 1 more in starting XI - Ramsey as Np. 10 & Ben Davis at back-up left back. Couple of years back, Ashley Willimas also had a chance, but now he is only good for squad.

From NI, one player should make the starting XI - Johnny Evans.

4231 won't work for England, Southgate is right actually; English players are not skilled and dynamic enough for that fluid system. I'll go with a very traditional 442 (4411).

Pickford
    Tripper, Stones, Evans, Robertson
    Alex-ox, Ramsey, Ali, Sterling
    Kane, Bale

British soccer has really gone down, looking at this squad you can realize. This can be explained with Liverpool FC as well. Today, what you see from Barca & Real, for almost 15 years Liverpool was like that in European soccer between 1970s to 1985 - 4 CL, 2 UEFA Cup, 7 English League, 4 FA Cups & 5/6 League Cup ..... That Liverpool generation was built entirely on British players, may be few from else where (Grobbler & Molbey comes to mind). But, from Toshak, Keegan, Dalglish, Alen Hansen, Phil Thompson, Kennedy, Heighway, Mcdermott, Souness, Whelan, Ian Rush, Barnes, Beardsley ... these are world class players.

Even more alarming is that, since Sir Alex, there had been no reputed British Manager - the style is ineffective, tactics are obsolete and absolutely no buying power outside British Isles. Best English/British managers are Big Sam, Tony Poulis,Ian Holloway, David Moyes, Mark Hughes ..... whereas top British managers used to manage clubs even in Italy & Spain before 1960s.

Today, if you make an EPL squad only from British base players, under a British Manager - it might get relegated in couple of years time!!!!
    It has really, my club Villa also won 7 first division titles and a European Cup among other championships between 1893 -1982; now we're lurking in the championship despite our rich history. Furthermore, there use to be more of a challenge for the EPL title among the top 4 or 5 clubs; now it is usually a 2 horse race although more recently it was Man City and then you had the night. Besides Sir Alex who was quality, I'd say Martin O'Neill is very under rated; he did well in the confines of talent / resources which had been available to him.

Debut
    Jan 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    753 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    @Cpt.Rishwat its because they live in ghettoised and segregated areas. Its not that they have never met a white english person ofc they have its just there is no mixing between differenr communities. Or the experiences have been primarily negative. A lot of people are apathetic towards other communities in these type of towns and cities. But u do get those who arent just apathetic but actively dislike people from the other community and hence why they dont like england and also u can get mullahs who spread anti western rhetoric in these areas that makes some people not want to support england and they will support a muslim country instead.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adil_94 View Post
    @Cpt.Rishwat its because they live in ghettoised and segregated areas. Its not that they have never met a white english person ofc they have its just there is no mixing between differenr communities. Or the experiences have been primarily negative. A lot of people are apathetic towards other communities in these type of towns and cities. But u do get those who arent just apathetic but actively dislike people from the other community and hence why they dont like england and also u can get mullahs who spread anti western rhetoric in these areas that makes some people not want to support england and they will support a muslim country instead.
    I have never lived in a segregated area so no idea how people think, but I guess it makes sense. I did see a documentary about how Asians and whites didn't mix at all in some northern towns like Oldham or Bradford, with both treating the other with suspicion. These were mostly low income areas so probably a lot of misery on both sides. Reminds me of the program last year about how the whites were all leaving the east end of London because it was gradually being taken over by immigrants with all the local pubs closing down and probably re-opening as sari shops or takeaways. Very sad. Unless you like saris or doner kebabs.

Debut
    May 2015
    Venue
    The Capital Wasteland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    497 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    It’s coming home. (sent using internet explorer)

"Our business is our business. None of your business" - Race 3

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope some of the idiots who hate England see this, especially the weirdos who live in England yet hate England because they are 'arrogant', these people just don't understand British culture, makes me cringe.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1490 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hadi123 View Post

I hope some of the idiots who hate England see this, especially the weirdos who live in England yet hate England because they are 'arrogant', these people just don't understand British culture, makes me cringe.
    No hate for England - let me be very clear about that. I actually have a soft corner for England due to association with EPL & Liverpool. I am quite happy that they have punched above the weight and played their heart out.

But,..... today, Daily mail has published an article on best WC XI and one of their pundits has picked Pickford, Stones, Magurie, Tripper - 4 out of 5 in back line, from a team that failed to keep clean sheet in 6 of the 7 games, and I must say games against Panama, Tunisia, Belgium B, James less Colombia, Sweden & a Croatia team that was playing 3rd 120 minutes in 10 days!!! Most of them has picked Tripper & Maguire in XI, Pickford as well. All in, 5 English players have made the laundry list.

England's 2nd half performance in this WC is 1-1 against Tunisia, 1-1 against Panama, 0-1 against Belgium B, 0-1 against depleted Colombia, 1-0 against Sweden, 0-1 against Croatia, and 0-1 against Belgium .... that absolutely nails 2 facts - extremely physical team that ran out of steam after 1st half and a very limited Manager without any tactical depth & plan B. Even Sweden would have hit back, had Pickford not played his best ever game in career. Now, that Manager is given 8/8.5 and picked for the Manager for WC ....

PLEASE suggest, as a passionate soccer fan, who does watch the game and know a little about what he is watching - what do you want me to do? Sing ......... Lord save the Queen ....... (so that she can watch - it's coming home)!!!

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1490 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    It has really, my club Villa also won 7 first division titles and a European Cup among other championships between 1893 -1982; now we're lurking in the championship despite our rich history. Furthermore, there use to be more of a challenge for the EPL title among the top 4 or 5 clubs; now it is usually a 2 horse race although more recently it was Man City and then you had the night. Besides Sir Alex who was quality, I'd say Martin O'Neill is very under rated; he did well in the confines of talent / resources which had been available to him.
    I feel, England has to change their soccer philosophy. Long back, Graham Taylor was Manager and before a friendly against Brazil, he said that the soccer Brazil plays is eye catching but ineffective, rather it's the English way to go forward (something like that, it was 1993?, Brazil failed in yet another WC, despite having a dream team and ENG made the SF in previous WC). Brazil won that game 3-1 (or 4-1, Juninho had a great game), then went on to make the next 3 WC Finals, winning 2 ... and England failed to make the 1996 EURO Final at home.

No one can play like Brazil, but every British Manager including O'neal (Not sure, if he would like to call himself a Brit), plays the game with extreme physicality and speed, rather than skills & tactics. I don't think, this will work, no matter who is in charge - England has to bring ball playing skills in the game, not running skills. We can mock him, but eventually Sven Goran did wonders with England team to make 2 QFs, losing the first one to eventual Champs (that too for a Goal keeping error) and 2nd one exit via shoot out. In recent times, only 2 British manager I have seen trying to play game on grass and game with tactics - first one had to leave EPL for Celtic now (Rogers), and 2nd one is a tv pundit (Hoddle). This guy Sean Dyche has potential, but might not get the chance.

If you ask me, FA has the money for sure - they should bring the director of INF Clairefontaine for shaping British academies and force clubs to bring junior coaches from Holland, France, Spain & Italy. British directors and coaching staffs are not going to change it. Same gen, and both countries have lots of black immigrant kids coming from Africa or Caribbean roots - how come Netherlands/Ajax is producing Gulit, Rijkaard, Seedorf, Davides, Kluivert ..... and England is producing Young, Rashford and Sterling I won't even bring France here.
    Last edited by MMHS; 15th July 2018 at 05:16.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    England fans urged not to welcome returning World Cup squad at Birmingham Airport - and people aren't happy

England fans have been urged not to head to the airport to see their World Cup heroes jet home.

The Three Lions captured the imagination of the nation in reaching the semi finals of Russia 2018 - sparking many into believing football was 'coming home'.

But fans have been told to stay away when the squad returns home to Birmingham Airport after Saturday's third place play off against Belgium.

Today the airport tweeted: "Please be aware that there will be no public viewing area to see the England Football team arrive home so we strongly advise the public not to come to Birmingham Airport as you will not see the team.

"Thank you for your cooperation."

If England win 2018 World Cup, Birmingham will have a massive role in celebrations
    When England's 1990 semi final squad returned home some fans came to cheer the squad at Luton Airport before throwing a ceremony in the town.

Thousands packed out the route of the open top bus parade.

Many fans reacted with anger at being urged to stay away this weekend.

"That's a shame. It is very sad in today's climate this has been taken away. I remember years ago sitting on the grass bank by the runway watching the planes. Loved it," Tweeted Chris McGrath.

"Well bloody make one then," Sean Hardiman suggested.

England star Paul Gascoigne arriving back in England, donning joke false breasts. (Image: Daily Mirror)

The Football Association has already confirmed there will be no home-coming parade this time around.

England’s players and manager Gareth Southgate - a beaten semi finalist at Euro 1996 - are also understood not to be keen on the idea,The Times reports.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/new...lcome-14906789

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Glad to see Southgate has discouraged the idea of celebrating getting to the semi finals. Ideally you would do that for winners, but even getting to the final would be justifiable. Cheering for finishing 4th after losing three games seems a bit pathetic.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Venue
    Hawks Fortress
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4746 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    I guess we can say the same about Croatia too then? They're run to the final was Denmark, Russia, a crap England side, apparently and the first time they came up against a top side, they shipped in 4 goals and lost?

Should we remove their specs too?

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Venue
    Hawks Fortress
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4746 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I agree, the right answer here is in the middle. Wrong to act like jingoistic zealots who have just won the tournament; also wrong to be miserable, mocking and rude about England’s performances. This is just an encouraging and potentially exciting foundation that has been laid by a bright young team.
    Yes, exactly. And when you can add the World Cup winning U17 or the U20 side to the mix potentially for Qatar in 2022, why wouldn't English fans have something to look forward to?

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Venue
    Hawks Fortress
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4746 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    I have never lived in a segregated area so no idea how people think, but I guess it makes sense. I did see a documentary about how Asians and whites didn't mix at all in some northern towns like Oldham or Bradford, with both treating the other with suspicion. These were mostly low income areas so probably a lot of misery on both sides. Reminds me of the program last year about how the whites were all leaving the east end of London because it was gradually being taken over by immigrants with all the local pubs closing down and probably re-opening as sari shops or takeaways. Very sad. Unless you like saris or doner kebabs.
    To the contrary, coming from someone living in the East End, there's a lot of "whites" moving back in.

I think it's mostly due to the property prices being so high, your middle/upper middle class individual is looking for somewhere to live where they can buy/rent and get to and from the City easily.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by London_Lahori View Post
    I guess we can say the same about Croatia too then? They're run to the final was Denmark, Russia, a crap England side, apparently and the first time they came up against a top side, they shipped in 4 goals and lost?

Should we remove their specs too?
    England weren't crap, if you read my posts earlier on in this thread you will see I rated them higher than most. They shipped in 4 goals yesterday, but the first two were questionable decisions and probably decided the game. But they did benefit from being in the easier half of the draw as it turns out, if they played Belgium or Brazil I think they would have lost also. It doesn't make them a bad side any more than it makes England a bad side.