Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4494 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)

Raheem Sterling - You are awful

At this stage, I can honestly say that he would not score even with no opposition players or goalie.

Just 2 goals from 41 appearances is just dreadful. Am sure someone can pull up stats to show the number of shots he has had but it's not required.

I'd have liked Rashford to get more opportunities then him in this tournament but it wasn't to be.

Ah, so this is what it feels like

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4494 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    943 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Sterling has everything you want in an attacker except a good finish.

He just doesn't have a good shot on him - I remember how he'd fluff simple chances when he used to play for Liverpool.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    I never rated him as a finisher to be honest, seems to miss chances in the most important games.

I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I could describe how I feel about Sterling all you'd see is *'s cos he is just the worst player to put on an England shirt.

He's a winger and has mostly played RW for Man City. He can't play striker cos he has zero presence up top and only runs in behind, zero movement. Rubbish finishing and the hate I have for him is visceral.

BUT COME ON ENGLAND SEMI FINAL LETS GOOOO

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    347 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    His finishing is poor. But the rest of his play is really good. Pep has improved him a lot.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Sterlings quick n got good movement He makes some great runs too Its just sad he cant finish He adds a lot to the england team with his mentioned attributes and hence he must play

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Yorkshire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    236 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He had one of his better games today I thought, really stretched the Swedish defenders with his pace and he was getting a lot of attention sticking to him which allowed more space to open up on the wings for Young and Trippier. But it is somewhat difficult to see past that missed chance at the end of the first half, he received perfect service from Henderson for that one and should have buried the game with it to be honest. I am not sure that he has the mental strength to deliver the goods in a semi-final or a final.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    I thought he was decent today and did a lot of unselfish running which helped his team-mates and created space for them.

I feel he cops a lot of unfair stick at times.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    terrible finisher, i would have rashford over him every day.

If you want to destroy a country, just create enmity between its people and their army - Salahuddin

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PetroDollars View Post
    terrible finisher, i would have rashford over him every day.
    Rashford should have been brought on earlier today.

But Sterling didnt have a bad game. He put in good effort and worked well with the midfield.

Should have scored a goal though. The game should have been over much earlier had Sterling slotted the ones most forwards would.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidilicious View Post
    Rashford should have been brought on earlier today.

But Sterling didnt have a bad game. He put in good effort and worked well with the midfield.

Should have scored a goal though. The game should have been over much earlier had Sterling slotted the ones most forwards would.
    If Delle Ali didnt get the second goal and Sweden equalised, all that good effort by Sterling would have gone to waste because he blew 2 sitters.

The position he plays in for England, he should be scoring often, i get it he works well and makes decent runs, but when playing in that position you have too take the chances you get.

If you want to destroy a country, just create enmity between its people and their army - Salahuddin

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PetroDollars View Post
    If Delle Ali didnt get the second goal and Sweden equalised, all that good effort by Sterling would have gone to waste because he blew 2 sitters.

The position he plays in for England, he should be scoring often, i get it he works well and makes decent runs, but when playing in that position you have too take the chances you get.
    Yeah, I agree with you. But I am not convinced that we start with Rashford. But on situations like today, Rashford could have been brought on early in the 2nd half. For a while when Sweden were pressing, changing things up a bit might have helped.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    His finishing was awful today

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    704 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    He wreaked havoc through the Swedish defence today and forced a corner.

He's just got a mental problem finishing at this level. He's overthinking it.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He has pace to burn but stops then looks for a pass when he should keep running. This causes him to run in to traffic so the chance is gone. Get to the byline then cross it or just go yourself. No need to stop when most of opposing players are behind you.

PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

Debut
    Mar 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rashford has been pretty rubbish too in the chances Southgate has given him in this campaign, he didn't take the opportunity to replace Sterling.

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4494 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    He wreaked havoc through the Swedish defence today and forced a corner.

He's just got a mental problem finishing at this level. He's overthinking it.
    There were plenty of chances for him to pass the ball to others in the box but he was very selfish and kept fluffing chances when he knows deep down he is a rubbish finisher, I think if he could stop being selfish we could utilize him better but old habbits die hard and he use to play for Scumpool @KingKhanWC

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by irfan View Post
    Rashford has been pretty rubbish too in the chances Southgate has given him in this campaign, he didn't take the opportunity to replace Sterling.
    He's done more than Sterling has this whole tournament. Yes he missed that 1 on 1 but so has Sterling vs Sweden. Sterling is an inferior striker to Rashford in so many aspects.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by irfan View Post
    REALLY???

He has been given only 2 real chances this WC, first in a match that England didnt seem they wanted to win and second to take a penalty against Columbia that he slot away so cooly.

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Croatia fear England's Sterling in World Cup semi

Croatia coach Zlatko Dalic has identified Raheem Sterling as England's danger man in the World Cup semifinal on Wednesday.

Sterling was a key part of the Manchester City side that won the Premier League last season but he has been less effective in England's charge to the last four for the first time since 1990.

Despite some disappointing early performances, England coach Gareth Southgate has kept faith with the 23-year-old and his speed was a constant threat to Sweden's defence in England's 2-0 quarter-final win on Saturday.

"I think Raheem Sterling is an important player because he is fast and dangerous alongside Harry Kane," Dalic said in a press conference Sunday.

"I wouldn't say there are any glaring weaknesses (in England's team) since they are in the semifinals, that says it all.

"They play very direct football, dangerous, fast, and they are really good at setpieces, and dangerous at corner kicks."

England survived a penalty shootout against Colombia in the last 16 whereas Croatia emerged through extra-time and spot-kicks against Denmark before going through the same ordeal again against Russia in Saturday's quarterfinal.

After such tight matches, it is easy to forget that Croatia produced a feast of attacking play to destroy Lionel Messi's Argentina 3-0 in the group phase.

Dalic blamed Croatia's opponents for smothering the creative talents of Luka Modric and said he expected a more open match in Moscow's Luzhniki Stadium.

"Our last three games were different because we played teams with a defensive approach," he said.

"But we are looking forward to a different style of game against England because they like to play attacking football."

The semifinal also represents a financial mismatch between the riches of England's Premier League and Croatian football.

"If we had England's money, who knows where we'd be in our country?" Dalic said.

https://www.supersport.com/football/...World_Cup_semi

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4494 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    To be fair to him his performances in this tournament have been pretty decent but the poor finishing overshadows the good work, they should stop trying to get him a goal and Raheem needs to put the team first as well if the moment presents itself in a crunch situation.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaz619 View Post
    At this stage, I can honestly say that he would not score even with no opposition players or goalie.

Just 2 goals from 41 appearances is just dreadful. Am sure someone can pull up stats to show the number of shots he has had but it's not required.

I'd have liked Rashford to get more opportunities then him in this tournament but it wasn't to be.
    Sterling is awesome other than finishing
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 10th July 2018 at 21:25.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Yorkshire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    236 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He should still start tomorrow, Rashford was very disappointing against Belgium.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    England may be out of World Cup because of the injustice they committed against Sterling.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks @shaz619 England took out Sterling as per your wishes and as a result they are now out of World Cup;

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Yorkshire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    236 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    His best display of the tournament today, not sure why he was taken off so early.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Sterling answered his critics in the last couple of games, including me. We really missed him when he went off, Croatia were really struggling against him in the first half.

I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1577 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ran out of gas after first half... looked threatening for first half hour then Croats found a way to shut him down

#Hum apko container deingaye dharnay ke liyay

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    347 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Should have stayed on for a bit longer. Rashford was awful when he came on anyway.

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4494 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by srh View Post
    Thanks @shaz619 England took out Sterling as per your wishes and as a result they are now out of World Cup;
    I specifically criticised his poor finishing and it was frustrating to see him miss many chances but beyond that he has been good