Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

[VIDEO] Joe Denly - Performance Watch

Joe Denly's catch of Denesh Ramdin was simply awesome. Where it will be ranked among the best catches ever?

Last edited by hadi123; 27th February 2018 at 00:15.

Debut
    May 2013
    Venue
    Pakistan-Italia-Deutschland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1914 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Wasn't that so good to be called a best ever. The ball went slow

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    764 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Azzurri View Post
    Yea agree with this ball went slow. Everything Karachi does gets overhyped.

Also ball just popped in the hand.

Diving forward is harder.

Even this PSL- Junaid, Hafeez, Ibtisam and Afridi's catches have been better. Let alone all time.
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 27th February 2018 at 02:43.

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    National Stadium Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is defo top tier

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    Bangalore, India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    352 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Defo not the best ever but freak really.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    764 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    This oldie was exposed next ball when he missed an easy run out. Good batsman but average fielder.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nahh these are just routine catches now a days!!!

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    356 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah that catch isn't much special. I feel even the Afridi one was kind of overhyped these kinds of catches are too common now. They're brilliant catches just not that cool as it used to be

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Azzurri View Post
    The ball was going very quickly. No way was it going slowly.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I really liked how Danley improvised when he realized he may not be able to catch it; that nano second thinking is stuff of legend; you have to watch in slow motion to see it
    Last edited by srh; 27th February 2018 at 03:10.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why best just because its From PSL

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2804 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitya85 View Post
    Why best just because its From PSL
    Because its a good catch.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This was a stunning catch. No two ways about it. However, the best catch ever for me would forever be the Jacques Kallis catch at Sharjah. I believe Afridi was the batsman or was it Imran Nazir?.

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great catch, not the best ever. I can't recall but I think it was Yuvraj who once took a catch running backwards at full stretch, might have been Mohammad Kaif.

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Venue
    Andromeda
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    a great catch.

0.5 seconds to react!

Debut
    Jul 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    272 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Was a great catch. However johnty used to take these for fun decades ago

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw that live, ball was going quite quickly

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Excellent catch but easy with the hyperbole please. Not even in top 20 of last few years. The thing is that such wonderful catches have become the new normal in world cricket. Standards are being raised right before our eyes.

On an unrelated note, this catch reminded me of that catch Rhodes took of Sachin in the rain affected tri-series final in 90s. Was a great catch but he had grounded it.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Because its a good catch.
    Good catch yes
    Amongst the best No
    Last edited by UN talkz; 27th February 2018 at 16:30.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Here's the catch in question. Jonty clearly grounded it.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brilliant catch, yep they are more common nowadays, but they still have to stick.

May have sat up a bit, was still travelling though and think he used just the one hand throughout the follow through also.

SOUND the ALAM!

Debut
    Feb 2013
    Venue
    Scotland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very good catch. Not in my top 20

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good catch. Seen lot more difficult catches with even less reaction time.

Debut
    Jan 2012
    Venue
    Sialkot
    Runs
    Mentioned
    963 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A good catch overall and one of the best infield catches.
    Regarding overall quality of catches, I'm biased towards it but Wahab's catch in West Indies Test is my favourite and another by Manish Panday in domestics.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good catch. However the one by Shehzad in the National T20 cup is the best one by far of late.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    512 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    One of the best I have seen.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by last_knight View Post
    A good catch overall and one of the best infield catches.
    Regarding overall quality of catches, I'm biased towards it but Wahab's catch in West Indies Test is my favourite and another by Manish Panday in domestics.

Yes, I remember that catch in Ranji final.

Also, look at the crowd for a domestic final. I remember there was a lot of heat and friction between the two teams in that match.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Venue
    East Coast, US.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good catch, but no.

Debut
    Feb 2018
    Venue
    Peshawar
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rate Afridi's catch , the other day, better than this one.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I believe this PSL catch is among top 10 ever easily

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    PSL is #1 in term of catches

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2804 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

Joe Denly performance watch

It was an evening of tumbling records in the T20 Blast competition in England as Joe Denly and Australia’s Dan Christian both etched their names in the history books.

Denly, who played the last of his 14 internationals for England back in 2010, became the first man to make a hundred and then take a hat-trick in a T20 match. His heroics helped his side Kent Spitfires beat Surrey by six runs on Friday, 6 July.

His 102 took 63 balls, lifting Kent to a total of 173/6 at The Oval. Then, with Surrey on course in the chase at 135/3 in the 13th over, he came on to bowl his part-time leg-spin and struck.

“The Oval is always a decent place to bat, but the outfield was slower than normal and Surrey made scoring boundaries tough by mixing up their pace a bit,” he said after the game.

“I thought at halfway we were 10-15 runs short and that it might take a special bowling performance to win it – although I didn’t expect it would be me!

“I may have taken a hat-trick in the garden before but not out in the middle and if I’m honest it was a naughty hat-trick ball, caught down the leg side, but I’ll take it because it got us back in the game.”

Elsewhere, Christian, the Australia all-rounder came in at No.6 and smashed the second-fastest century in England's domestic T20 competition and the joint seventh-fastest in all T20s.

Christian smashed a 37-ball 100, the second-fastest century in England's domestic T20 competition

His hundred came off 37 balls, and was only behind Andrew Symonds' 34-ball ton for Kent in 2004.

He finished on 113* from 40 deliveries, which included nine sixes and seven fours. He made 113 of the 137 runs his side posted in the last 10 overs.

It helped Nottinghamshire Outlaws post 219/6 and beat Northamptonshire Steelbacks by 58 runs.

https://www.icc-cricket.com/news/780535
    Last edited by hadi123; 8th July 2018 at 13:57.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Hemel/Coventry
    Runs
    Mentioned
    266 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's been in phenomenal form last couple of seasons but I can't see an England recall for him.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Hemel/Coventry
    Runs
    Mentioned
    266 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hadi123 View Post
    He's been in phenomenal form last couple of seasons but I can't see an England recall for him.
    Reports suggest he is being considered for the Sri Lanka series!

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2804 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    So should Joe Denly be in England's World Cup final 15?

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    What were the batsmen thinking. What on earth were they doing.

They let him bowl 5 overs for 27 runs.

I mean no intent, no aggression, no attempt to attack him.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Hemel/Coventry
    Runs
    Mentioned
    266 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    What were the batsmen thinking. What on earth were they doing.

They let him bowl 5 overs for 27 runs.

I mean no intent, no aggression, no attempt to attack him.
    Exactly. On such a flat pitch where you need 360 minimum you need to target which bowlers to smash. Him and Moeen Ali should have both disappeared.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2400 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Joe Denly dropped catch: 'The worst-ever drop in Test cricket'

"That has to rank as possibly the worst-ever drop in Test cricket."

England's Joe Denly will have had better times than he endured on the final day of the second Test in Hamilton.

Things were already against England as they pressed for victory over New Zealand. The pitch was flat, the rain was closing in and Kane Williamson and Ross Taylor were hanging around like limpets.

Jofra Archer enters the attack. He draws Williamson into a poor shot. The ball loops tamely to Joe Denly at mid-wicket.

Knee height. A dolly. He could almost catch it with his eyes closed.

And he drops it.

BBC cricket correspondent Jonathan Agnew said it was possibly the worst drop he had seen in Test cricket. "Even if you took your 95-year-old grandma out in the garden now, in the dark, and threw her a tennis ball from five yards, she'd catch that."

Former New Zealand captain Jeremy Coney had only seen an easier catch dropped "in an under-nines game in a heavy wind", while England bowler Steven Finn described it as a "goober".

The England players couldn't believe it. Neither could the commentators. Hands were on heads all around Seddon Park.

Soon, Denly was trending on Twitter...

Lewis Starks: I've just got off the phone to my nan and she has confirmed Joe Denly's worst nightmare. She would have done it one handed.

Grant Kennett: If you ever feel like you're bad at your job, or that you're not good at anything, find the video of Joe Denly (a professional cricketer) dropping a catch today off Kane Williamson. It will be the greatest self-help clip you will ever watch.

James: I managed to drop my breakfast on my three-day old carpet this morning. Probably not as bad as poor Joe's drop though.

Freddie: I once dropped someone's three-tier 50th birthday cake in front of them that their wife spent all day making and decorating with fresh fruit. I feel your pain, Joe.

Penny Barr: Poor Denly. Being fair, I managed to drop this year's Christmas cake as I got it out of the oven and it's more of a topping now.

Steve, Cheltenham: I dropped my phone, and in trying to catch it, dropped a big glass of red wine on the beige-coloured ottoman which my girlfriend had spent weeks choosing. It was wrecked. I estimate she may forget this incident in 2031. Possibly.

To make matters worse for Denly, Williamson went on to make an unbeaten 104 as New Zealand - aided by the rain - secured the draw that gave them a 1-0 series win.

His howler is sure to be played over and over on the bloopers reel.

Still, at least he can say he has left his own sporting legacy...

Filthyblueharts: Dropping a sitter should forever more be known as 'doing a Denly'.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/50638721

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post

England's Joe Denly will have had better times than he endured on the final day of the second Test in Hamilton.

Things were already against England as they pressed for victory over New Zealand. The pitch was flat, the rain was closing in and Kane Williamson and Ross Taylor were hanging around like limpets.

Jofra Archer enters the attack. He draws Williamson into a poor shot. The ball loops tamely to Joe Denly at mid-wicket.

And he drops it.

BBC cricket correspondent Jonathan Agnew said it was possibly the worst drop he had seen in Test cricket. "Even if you took your 95-year-old grandma out in the garden now, in the dark, and threw her a tennis ball from five yards, she'd catch that."

Former New Zealand captain Jeremy Coney had only seen an easier catch dropped "in an under-nines game in a heavy wind", while England bowler Steven Finn described it as a "goober".

The England players couldn't believe it. Neither could the commentators. Hands were on heads all around Seddon Park.

Lewis Starks: I've just got off the phone to my nan and she has confirmed Joe Denly's worst nightmare. She would have done it one handed.

Grant Kennett: If you ever feel like you're bad at your job, or that you're not good at anything, find the video of Joe Denly (a professional cricketer) dropping a catch today off Kane Williamson. It will be the greatest self-help clip you will ever watch.

James: I managed to drop my breakfast on my three-day old carpet this morning. Probably not as bad as poor Joe's drop though.

Freddie: I once dropped someone's three-tier 50th birthday cake in front of them that their wife spent all day making and decorating with fresh fruit. I feel your pain, Joe.

Penny Barr: Poor Denly. Being fair, I managed to drop this year's Christmas cake as I got it out of the oven and it's more of a topping now.

Steve, Cheltenham: I dropped my phone, and in trying to catch it, dropped a big glass of red wine on the beige-coloured ottoman which my girlfriend had spent weeks choosing. It was wrecked. I estimate she may forget this incident in 2031. Possibly.

To make matters worse for Denly, Williamson went on to make an unbeaten 104 as New Zealand - aided by the rain - secured the draw that gave them a 1-0 series win.

Filthyblueharts: Dropping a sitter should forever more be known as 'doing a Denly'.

Wow

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post

And he drops it.

I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

Incredible drop.

I had to watch it a few times to actually believe what had happened.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2804 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    England should move batsman Joe Denly "to one side", says former captain Michael Vaughan.

Denly's dismissal for 29 on the fourth day of the first Test against West Indies means he has gone eight innings without reaching 40.

One of Denly or Zak Crawley, who made 76, is set to make way when captain Joe Root returns for the second Test.

"England have a decision to make on Denly. Crawley surely has to stay in the side," Vaughan told BBC Sport.

Denly, 33, averages 29.53 in 15 Tests since making his debut in 2019.

He has a highest score of 94 - against Australia last summer - and has developed a habit of throwing away good starts.

Saturday's 70-ball innings, which ended in a tame chip to short mid-wicket off off-spinner Roston Chase, was the sixth time in eight innings that he had passed 25 without scoring more than 40.

"Joe Denly played the way he has played in all of his 15 Tests," said Vaughan. "It's been the same story. He did the hard yards then made a mistake."

Denly's Kent team-mate Crawley is 22, and his elegant 76 in Southampton was his second half-century in five Tests.

"It's not even a conversation," said Vaughan, who captained England in 51 of his 82 Tests.

"You could argue that Denly was very lucky to have played 15 Test matches. There are a lot of players who have played only eight Tests and got hundreds.

"He has missed his chance and they have to stick with Crawley. I'm sorry for Denly - he's just not good enough."

Crawley would not be drawn on speculation over who would be in the team when Root returns from paternity leave at Old Trafford.

"That's not my place to say," Crawley said. "My job is to score runs, and that is what I will try to continue to do as long as I get a chance.

"It is for the powers that be to decide. Joe has done extremely well over the past year and it's a tough scenario."

When Crawley was sharing a fourth-wicket partnership of 98 with Ben Stokes, it looked as if England were moving into a position of strength.

But both fell in successive overs, beginning a slide of five wickets for 30 runs.

England closed on 284-8, leading by 170, leaving West Indies as favourites for victory on what could be a thrilling final day.

"There was a point out there when we felt on top," said Crawley. "It's a real shame to lose wickets quickly.

"Everyone in the dressing room is looking forward to trying to contribute to winning the game tomorrow."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/53377875

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    512 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He needs to be dropped. Crawley is better than him now and has the potential to improve further.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasan123 View Post
    He needs to be dropped. Crawley is better than him now and has the potential to improve further.
    Defo is better he played the spin quite well by using his feet also knows to play the reserve sweep

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    England have confirmed that they have dropped Denly for this next test match in place of Root.

Arsenal all the way!! (and Pakistan, of course!)

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    476 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Its game over in international cricket for him.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Denly in action for Lahore Qalandars vs Multan today.

Name:  amir2.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  246.2 KB

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Denly goes for 31 from 29 balls. Not the best of performances, but just had to rotate strike and let Hafeez do his thing