Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

"If you don't reach the minimum (fitness) standard, you don't get to play for Pak" : Mickey Arthur

Mickey Arthur speaking about the fitness standards and yoyo tests in a PCB video:

"When I started my tenure here with Pakistan, we had a look at what we needed to improve and one of the things that we drastically needed to improve was the standard of fitness."

"Standard of fitness doesn't guarantee performance but what it guarantees is the ability to concentrate for longer periods; it allows the batsmen to turn good 40s into very good 70s, 80 and hundreds because their concentration span lasts a lot longer and that is really important for us in the heat. It also allows our bowlers to bowl longer, more sustained spells and their comeback spells being a lot better."

"That was an aspect that myself and the management team had a look at, and Grant Luden has implemented standards for us. These standards are so important because they become a discipline, they show passion and commitment to play for your country. The standards are showing in players' performances and are making them a lot better and a lot more consistent. Grant Luden has been outstanding in driving this culture."

"What Grant had a look at was all the players' stats. The 17.4 that we came to was certainly not a thumb suck. We started a bit lower at 17.1 and we've gradually increased the minimum standard to 17.4. We've done that for a few reasons. Because of the information that Grant collated over a period of 2 years, it showed that 17.4 was the level at which players could recover and maintain their standard of play for a longer period. The recovery aspect for us was vitally important because it meant that guys could back up day after day in Test cricket. But also, when there's one day cricket so close, it meant that guys could back up from one game to the next. That's how we got to 17.4."

"The culture at 17.1 was good. We had a couple of players that battled to make it. As we've increased it, the fitness levels have got better and better so the culture in the team has become one, that the players know what the minimum standards are. We are uncompromising with these minimum standards. If you don't reach the minimum standard, irrespective of who you are - you don't get to play for Pakistan. That's not a threat - What it is, is that it shows a player's commitment and we know when we take players into the field, they're ready and fit enough to sustain the pressures and rigours of Test match, one day and T20 cricket."

"The thing with yoyo tests is that we have three tests that the players technically go through. The testing being their skin-folds, which tells us about their diet and how they've looked after themselves and how they've managed themselves away from us. What they've eaten, are they eating the correct food. Nutrition and diet plays a massive role and that comes out in skin-folds. Every player has their own skin-folds target which Ludes does on an individual basis with every player."

"We also do the 2km time trial which is an important one. I know some teams use it as a little bit of a yardstick. We settled on something very simple and very easy. Ludes will tell you that the easiest way to manage in terms of cardio, durability but also in terms of pace and agility is the yoyo test. That's why we settled on the yoyo test."

"Ludes keeps looking at what is best and what is best practice and he will alter that as we get further and further into the piece."

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Feb 2013
    Venue
    Glasgow/Scotland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going in the right direction still room for improvement though 👍🏽

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1659 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    You might wanna rethink that one Micks

#Hum apko container deingaye dharnay ke liyay

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spot on.

One thing people need to realise is fitness is a minimum requirement. Too many seem to think if a player is fit that should automatically qualify him for the team. You still have to have ability!

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I agree with this system. But I do wonder if it's just the value Sarfraz passes to get into the team. Cos you can't really have the captain failing the fitness test.

I also wonder whether Sharjeel passed it before he got banned. Looking at him I'd have though unlikely (I mean if Sarfraz scrapped it, then Sharjeel would have to be at least similar fitness which looking at him didn't seem likely). The same, wonder if Latif passed it, but then again he wasn't play in the anything besides T20 because of it I heard.

Debut
    Mar 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hopefully they establish this at domestic level too. Regular fitness tests across all teams. Some of the fitness levels of some of the players at FC level are dismal.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Venue
    Orlando, FL
    Runs
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What they need to implement next is that 'Captain' must look the fittest, if he has a 'tummy' showing and he huffs and puffs between singles/doubles and gets run out every now and then...he should be immediately put on a strict diet and must improve before the next assignment or else he bats at number 10 :-)

Debut
    Jun 2008
    Venue
    Moscow, Russia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been calling out to have this fitness regime at the grass roots to all the way up.

We have already suffered a lot and keep suffering to date at the hands of poor fitness levels by some, having this from the bottom to all the way up will make players more aware of what they need to be doing or what levels they need to be achieving to be able to get a look in by the senior team or to progress ahead.

Until and unless there is a system that is put in place from the bottom till the top, this will not be sustainable and we will continue to see issues with players fitness for years and years to come.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    agree with some of the posters that fitness levels should be implemented at grass root levels.
    I wonder how difficult it will be to implement this, if in one case one lazy cricketer being given 6/7 fitness tests to clear and he made it a very big news.
    Mickey would have been sacked or forced to include UA had he not won the CT.
    In the already rotten system, media is also big culprit, who approaches players to do some stuff for their TRP. I am 100% sure, UA might have some share from the TRP revenues from these media houses. Otherwise, it is very hard to believe the way he thinks and acts.

In conclusion, onus is on Domestic players and on PSL to implement these standards themselves.

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Venue
    Jeddah
    Runs
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This year first time Yo Yo Tests were made necessary by Kashmir cricket association for selection and Irfan Pathan is supervising the whole process and surprisingly to me there have been positive results. A young guy 17 years scored 18+ in the Test and Irfan even posted a story about him on Insta.

Based on Talent, no team in domestic circuit can come close to JK, we have fast bowlers who have never coached and come up and bowl 130kph+ and batsman with best technique and huge hitters like Pandav but fitness is the main concern for JK and I am glad that since Irfan took over, they have taken it seriously.

[QUOTE=Mamoon;9742871]Don't see us ascending from 7th/6th in the near future. 5-0 in England and South Africa awaits us, we will be lucky to even draw one match. [/QUOTE]

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    274 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Yeah right, why is this not being applied to Sarfaraz Ahmed and Imad Wasim?

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    Sarfaraz has passed all the standard fitness tests set for the team.

Imad has not played for Pakistan for quite a while now.

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    Connecticut
    Runs
    Mentioned
    675 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would like to know what the maximum time for the 2k is. It better not be more than 9 minutes or else we have a problem.

“I've never lost a game I just ran out of time.” Micheal Jordan

Debut
    Jan 2008
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Tye to Sarfraz Ahmed, 2 runs, OUT, on a length and outside off, Sarfraz knows fine leg is up, he scoops it away over short fine leg. Nice shot but harebrained running between the wickets. Richardson swoops down on the ball, slides, hauls it in, and the throw comes to the bowler, Sarfraz is caught napping on the third. He was so very late to take off. Lazy running
    "...unless your name is Sarfraz Ahmed," whispered Mickey after the interview.

May the Hawks Fly Forever. Lightning Hawks CC -- Team Thread.

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Here for the inZi, Ranatunga, and Aravinda de Silva defenders

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    London, England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This should be the standard for our team. Fitness has become a key aspect of the sport today and its throughly important that Pakistan also follow this too. Players can be good with the bat or ball but the fitness and fielding levels must be at the highest level.

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UN talkz View Post
    This year first time Yo Yo Tests were made necessary by Kashmir cricket association for selection and Irfan Pathan is supervising the whole process and surprisingly to me there have been positive results. A young guy 17 years scored 18+ in the Test and Irfan even posted a story about him on Insta.

Based on Talent, no team in domestic circuit can come close to JK, we have fast bowlers who have never coached and come up and bowl 130kph+ and batsman with best technique and huge hitters like Pandav but fitness is the main concern for JK and I am glad that since Irfan took over, they have taken it seriously.
    J&K lacks exposure to modern cricket and Irfan's expereince could help us bridge the gap.Kerala had got Dave Whatmore as a coach and look what it has done to us.Reached semifinals of Ranji for the first time ever.
    I have seen pretty tall, well-built cricketers from Kashmir and as you said they lack in fitness and modern strength training.JKCA should rope in some good strength trainers like Sidharth Basu who is behind Kohli's amazing transformation and chalk out a fitness and diet plan for cricketers right from Junior level.

Debut
    May 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kingusama92 View Post
    "...unless your name is Sarfraz Ahmed," whispered Mickey after the interview.
    Do you guys have some sort of insider info that Sarfaraz is failing these fitness tests but still gets selected? If you do then please share it and expose the evil reigme of Mickey and Sarfaraz.

Unfortunately I don't think Sarfaraz getting run out is enough evidence that he failed the fitness test.

Debut
    Dec 2005
    Venue
    Sharjah, U.A.E
    Runs
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fitness is not about having six packs. As long as Sarfraz and Imad are clearing these fitness tests, I don't see a problem

Debut
    May 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    You might wanna rethink that one Micks
    Sarfraz be care full

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We need to have this implemented in Hockey too. Sports around the world are becoming scientific while we are still stuck on skills. It's not just about having skills alone.

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4524 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    How does Sarfraz keep passing these tests, when ever he is in brum everyone knows atleast one friend who'd have seen him at a fry up !

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only Sarfraz is exempted from the required fitness standard.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And it is tough on Umar Akmal, if Sarfaraz is exempted.
    I still think UA is better batsman and keeper than Sarfaraz

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    366 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Fitness is vital in modern day cricket. Hopefully this attitude and mentality can be implemented to the youngsters.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iniqbal223 View Post
    And it is tough on Umar Akmal, if Sarfaraz is exempted.
    I still think UA is better batsman and keeper than Sarfaraz
    Is this some form of sarcasm?

Debut
    Jan 2008
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by El Generico View Post
    Do you guys have some sort of insider info that Sarfaraz is failing these fitness tests but still gets selected? If you do then please share it and expose the evil reigme of Mickey and Sarfaraz.

Unfortunately I don't think Sarfaraz getting run out is enough evidence that he failed the fitness test.
    Because we know Mickey will never drop the captain based on a fitness test. He'll be sacked about ten seconds later.

This is the same coach who continues to put Hafeez in despite his bad performances.

The evidence in Sarfraz's on-field work. He huffs and puffs his way through an innings (thus the runout example) and the same applies to his lethargic keeping. If this man is passing fitness tests then you have to question the legitimacy of those tests.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1659 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Because we know Mickey will never drop the captain based on a fitness test. He'll be sacked about ten seconds later.

This is the same coach who continues to put Hafeez in despite his bad performances.

The evidence in Sarfraz's on-field work. He huffs and puffs his way through an innings (thus the runout example) and the same applies to his lethargic keeping. If this man is passing fitness tests then you have to question the legitimacy of those tests.
    If you are talking about his runout in the last match then you might wanna see the highlights of the match. Always handy to see the match rather than rely on scorecards. A third run was never on but Fakhar Zaman called him through and he agreed to the call because the ball had gone behind the keeper and Fakhar was coming to the danger end.

He does not have tip top fitness but you lot are acting as if he is in full on Inzi mode.

#Hum apko container deingaye dharnay ke liyay

Debut
    Jan 2008
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    If you are talking about his runout in the last match then you might wanna see the highlights of the match. Always handy to see the match rather than rely on scorecards. A third run was never on but Fakhar Zaman called him through and he agreed to the call because the ball had gone behind the keeper and Fakhar was coming to the danger end.

He does not have tip top fitness but you lot are acting as if he is in full on Inzi mode.
    Just dusted off the telly to take a look.

Ah, what do I see here?

It appears Zaman makes the call (his right) and Sarfraz gets out. Perhaps, Syed1 is right and that was a bad call. Oh, but what do I see here? I see Sarfraz poorly running the first and second runs meaning he has now made the third run impossible himself!

There's a reason the outfielder threw to Sarfraz's end. It's a part of the gameplan and they go after the slower, unfit player just like they did with Inzi back in the day. Numerous players mentioned this about Inzi and the same applies to Sarfraz.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1487 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    I'm still concerned that one or two players are sneeking through the fitness tests having not passes the required mark.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Just dusted off the telly to take a look.

Ah, what do I see here?

It appears Zaman makes the call (his right) and Sarfraz gets out. Perhaps, Syed1 is right and that was a bad call. Oh, but what do I see here? I see Sarfraz poorly running the first and second runs meaning he has now made the third run impossible himself!

There's a reason the outfielder threw to Sarfraz's end. It's a part of the gameplan and they go after the slower, unfit player just like they did with Inzi back in the day. Numerous players mentioned this about Inzi and the same applies to Sarfraz.
    "I think the run out was my fault, I should have run faster there, it's not Fakhar's fault" <--- That's what Sarfaraz said after the match.

Debut
    Jan 2008
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post
    "I think the run out was my fault, I should have run faster there, it's not Fakhar's fault" <--- That's what Sarfaraz said after the match.
    Exactly.

He didn't run the first or second run hard making Zaman look like the bad guy.

Debut
    Jul 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    811 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Somewhere Inzi is wiping his brow in relief.

2 possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are terrifying.

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1265 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Exactly.

He didn't run the first or second run hard making Zaman look like the bad guy.
    There was clearly a third available there and Sarfaraz was just ambling. Fakhar was lapping the captain in the first couple of runs, he was running that slow.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4890 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    “....unless you are Sarfraz Ahmed”

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Venue
    earth between north pole and south pole
    Runs
    Mentioned
    326 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and yet sarfraz pot belly Ahmed the captain is still playing and captaining that too in all 3 formats.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1487 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    I recall a cricketer once tellling me that if you are friendly with some of the NCA staff, anything is possible when it comes to fitness test results.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    267 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    You read this forum and get an impression that Sarfraz is as powerful as Imran Khan. He bypasses fitness tests, selects TTFs like Hafeez, and plays his friends XI etc while both Inzy and Mickey are completely powerless.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    274 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    I recall a cricketer once tellling me that if you are friendly with some of the NCA staff, anything is possible when it comes to fitness test results.
    Mickey Arthur highlighted this very publically where he mentioned that many Pakistani players secretly hid niggles, injuries and were passed on the basis of their relationships with the NCA staff.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    274 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

I think Mickey Arthur has very publically said that he will not play Hafeez in his team if Hafeez does not bowl. And in any case he dropped Hafeez from the T-20 series in NZ but for some reason Hafeez has made his way back into the side.

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All the players look a lot fitter.

Unsurprisingly, the general trend is as the tour goes on they look fitter. Good job.