Venue
    Barad-dűr
    Runs
    Mentioned
    478 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Second most popular sport in the world

Football is an undisputed number one it goes without saying.
    Is cricket the second most popular? If we go by the population data it has to be.
    The Subcontinent alone has people around 2 billion which is huge.
    Whatcha think about that?

Tazimi Sirdar

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think cricket is the second most popular sport in the world but definitely not the second most lucrative. I'd be surprised if it was.

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    436 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    I can't make out why football is #1.

It's kind of boring and one dimensional when you think about it.

Debut
    Jan 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it would be tennis worldwide.

Can't think of a global cricketing superstar that can match Federer or Nadal in popularity.

Debut
    May 2012
    Venue
    Barad-dűr
    Runs
    Mentioned
    478 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Ball View Post
    I think it would be tennis worldwide.

Can't think of a global cricketing superstar that can match Federer or Nadal in popularity.
    Tennis is an individual game. Besides I don't think Nadal or Federer can rouse the same passion among fans as the national sides in games like Football and Cricket do.
    And Tennis is also a pretty expensive for an average Joe to play on a regular basis.

Tazimi Sirdar

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Hemel/Coventry
    Runs
    Mentioned
    209 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cricket. We all know the populations of India, Pakistan and Bangladesh are huge. All 3 are in the top 10 for most populated countries in the world. And think of all of the Asians living in countries such as England, America, Canada and other countries. And there's fans of every other cricket country as well. Majority of other sports, major teams aren't highly populated countries. I'm sure if Pakistan, India and Bangladesh had proper rugby/hockey/basketball etc teams that sport would be a lot more popular too.

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Population-wise,it's cricket.

Debut
    May 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Varun View Post

It’s short game and very easy to understand which is the main reason why its number 1.

When you get into it, football is more tactical then it looks tbh.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1246 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Clearly you don't know much about it then

Hardly one dimensional. And very very tactical. And certainly needs more athleticism and fitness

Cricket - compared to other major sports such as football, NFL, basketball - is bit of a ***** sport let's be honest

#MPGA

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1246 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TM Riddle View Post
    Tennis is an individual game. Besides I don't think Nadal or Federer can rouse the same passion among fans as the national sides in games like Football and Cricket do.
    And Tennis is also a pretty expensive for an average Joe to play on a regular basis.
    Cricket is very expensive then too

Probably cheapest sport is football

#MPGA

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1246 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Is cricket the second most popular? If we go by the population data it has to be.

In terms of number of people following cricket is definitely the second most popular sport and I'd bet not as far behind football as most would think.

However in terms of seeing the reach and popularity of a sport I prefer looking at the spread of the sport across different regions and countries. In that respect I think cricket is far far behind. It's the major sport of barely 3-4 countries. I said it in another thread aswell that I'm always surprised that most British or Aussies I meet barely know about cricket too

And in South America and most of Africa people are unlikely to know about its existence let alone have some basic understanding of what it is. Even in North America (esp Canada) the average person might have heard about the sport due to the desi populations there but that's as far as tbeir knowledge would go

#MPGA

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    278 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Basketball.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Basketball followed by (field) hockey.

"Peace is only made with the powerful"

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cricket is only popular on paper. Statistics wise. However as always statistics are misleading. Go ask a random non-south Asian person outside of UK and Australia what cricket is and they will have no clue.

An average of Earthling has no clue what cricket is and how it is played.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    532 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Cricket is second most watched sport but only because of Asia.

In terms of global viewing and playing, it has to be tennis.

In the UK there are so many sports to choose from all with excellent facilities. At present I'm playing a lot of squash and soon will try my hand at fencing.

Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of Sheep

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1652 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Cricket is not popular outside of desi countries. Heck even countries like England and Australia that play cricket, the sport is hardly popular amongst the general populace.

#Hum apko container deingaye dharnay ke liyay

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    208 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    Cricket is not popular outside of desi countries. Heck even countries like England and Australia that play cricket, the sport is hardly popular amongst the general populace.
    This is absolutely true. I think people who live in the subcontinent sometimes get a massive shock when they travel outside and find that cricketers are barely known. Why do you think that it's only played by a handful of countries, mostly former British colonies.

I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman

Debut
    Sep 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slog View Post
    Clearly you don't know much about it then

Hardly one dimensional. And very very tactical. And certainly needs more athleticism and fitness

Cricket - compared to other major sports such as football, NFL, basketball - is bit of a ***** sport let's be honest
    NFL is a major Sport? Which countries in Africa, Asia, South America and Europe play it?

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    379 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Chess

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    432 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhaag Viru Bhaag View Post
    Chess
    If quality of fans matters, then cricket is number one, followed by football.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    208 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hafeezrocks View Post
    NFL is a major Sport? Which countries in Africa, Asia, South America and Europe play it?
    NFL is the American equivalent of cricket in the SC. Americans assume because they play it, the rest of the world must share their fascination. If anything it has an even smaller global reach than cricket.

I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CricketCartoons View Post
    If quality of fans matters, then cricket is number one, followed by football.
    Quality? How come? Surely you meant quantity.

The amount of people and nations following football is far more diverse than cricket.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirris View Post
    Cricket is only popular on paper. Statistics wise. However as always statistics are misleading. Go ask a random non-south Asian person outside of UK and Australia what cricket is and they will have no clue.

An average of Earthling has no clue what cricket is and how it is played.
    A lot of people in America now know what cricket is but they think of it as an Indian sport.

"Peace is only made with the powerful"

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saying cricket is number two may be factually true when considering populations of playing nations but when you actually go around the world at country levels and ask then cricket is no where near second. Cricket just has the luxury of having two teams with very high populations (India, Pakistan).

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Golf

PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For any sport to be popular it needs to be attractive to kids. Among all competitive sports, this is a simple game with simple set of rules and cheap and one can practise on ones own. Because the playing or watching time is less than two hours makes it an acceptable with parents too. Then you have the advertisers and media, who have glamorised watching football even at club levels.

Coming back to OP question: Cricket has to be the next most popular sport.

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tennis is the right answer, seriously how tough it is.
    Played by nearly all countries and also fan following from most of the countries. Four slams in 3 different continent and masters ,atp 500 ,atp 250 spread all over the world because of fan following.

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Popularity of tennis is so much that sportsperson of the year awards usually go to tennis player .

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In last 20 years out of 40 possible awards for sportsperson tennis has won 15 awards including men and women

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Formula One is very popular with races taking place all over the globe.

Basketball has quite a following. Lebron James, Kevin Durant and Steph Curry are amongst the richest and popular athletes in world.

Tennis has a lot fans around the world (including me). Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic are huge global stars.

Cricket gets a lot eyeballs (2nd only to football). This is because South Asia is one of the most populated region in the world.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    747 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

It gets more interesting the more you think about it.

I think basketball is probably #2 in terms in international participation if not lucre.

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    436 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Friend786 View Post
    Formula One is very popular with races taking place all over the globe.
    Formula 1 is too niche, and is basically more a game of technology versus a sport. Races taking place all over the world is akin to cricket matches being held everywhere as well, yet neither qualify to be the 2nd most popular sport.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cricket.

Debut
    Jan 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Define 'popular'.
    Do you mean in terms of number of fans and supporters?
    Or tv viewers?
    Or those who have played the sport, even if only at school, at some point during their lives?
    Or the number of countries where it is a major sport (say in the top 5 of that country)?
    Or the geographical spread?
    Or the revenue generated?
    Or ....

Depending upon which definition you choose, you will get a different answer. Hence a meaningless question.

“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule”

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    338 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

If you played a decent amount of football growing up, you would not be saying this. Nothing else in sports beats the passion of chasing a ball, wanting to beat the opposing player running with you, and getting off a shot at the goal.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1246 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    Define 'popular'.
    Do you mean in terms of number of fans and supporters? Football
    Or tv viewers? Football
    Or those who have played the sport, even if only at school, at some point during their lives? Football
    Or the number of countries where it is a major sport (say in the top 5 of that country)? Most likely football
    Or the geographical spread? Def football
    Or the revenue generated? Not sure
    Or ....

Depending upon which definition you choose, you will get a different answer. Hence a meaningless question.
    Sure football is the answer to most of these questions

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No way. Cricket is amazing.

Debut
    May 2017
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Athletics (sprint races) and chess because all 190+ countries participate in them and most people must have played a game of chess or run 100m in school/college at least once in their lifetimes. FIDE did a study a few years back where they concluded that 3.5 billion people have played at least 1 game of chess in their lives and 600 million people are active players in previous 12 months period. I am guessing athletics will have even more impressive numbers.

Can't say the same for sports like golf, tennis, swimming, basketball, boxing, wrestling, hockey, F1 etc because not only is it limited to certain geographic pockets but also exclusive. In Chennai which is a metro, its easy to play football/cricket but you'll need to be part of some club/society/University to get access to some of the other games mentioned in this thread, F1/tennis/golf is well beyond the reach of most middle/lower class people.
    Last edited by Swashbuckler; 14th July 2018 at 08:59.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    432 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swashbuckler View Post
    Athletics (sprint races) and chess because all 190+ countries participate in them and most people must have played a game of chess or run 100m in school/college at least once in their lifetimes. FIDE did a study a few years back where they concluded that 3.5 billion people have played at least 1 game of chess in their lives and 600 million people are active players in previous 12 months period. I am guessing athletics will have even more impressive numbers.

Can't say the same for sports like golf, tennis, swimming, basketball, boxing, wrestling, hockey, F1 etc because not only is it limited to certain geographic pockets but also exclusive. In Chennai which is a metro, its easy to play football/cricket but you'll need to be part of some club/society/University to get access to some of the other games mentioned in this thread, F1/tennis/golf is well beyond the reach of most middle/lower class people.
    Lol. This is now desperate. Just because people have played ludo and chess once in their childhood doesn't mean it is popular, and people pay to watch a match of ludo or chess being played.

Debut
    May 2017
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol. This is now desperate. Just because people have played ludo and chess once in their childhood doesn't mean it is popular, and people pay to watch a match of ludo or chess being played.
    Ludo is a game of chance, Chess/Go are games of high skill so don't expose your ignorance once again.

More people will be familiar with chess but if you tell 'cricket' to a Brazilian or Algerian he/she will think of an insect. And more people will be familiar with Kasparov compared to Bradman.
    Last edited by Swashbuckler; 14th July 2018 at 09:16.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    432 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Ludo is a game of chance, Chess/Go are games of high skill so don't expose your ignorance once again.

More people will be familiar with chess but if you tell 'cricket' to a Brazilian or Algerian he/she will think of an insect.
    Who is comparing chess and ludo? Don't assume anything and expose your lack of comprehension skills. Both are indoor games and desi parents use them to keep the kids at home during summer afternoons.

Familiarity doesn't mean popularity. Again logic fail.

Why a brazilian views should mean more than a desi guy? Only some desis with inferiority give more value to the opinions, likes and dislikes of non desis.

Cricket is the most popular sport in humanity. Of course you can disagree if you dont consider all humans equal.

Debut
    May 2017
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who is comparing chess and ludo? Don't assume anything and expose your lack of comprehension skills. Both are indoor games and desi parents use them to keep the kids at home during summer afternoons.

Familiarity doesn't mean popularity. Again logic fail.

Why a brazilian views should mean more than a desi guy? Only some desis with inferiority give more value to the opinions, likes and dislikes of non desis.

Cricket is the most popular sport in humanity. Of course you can disagree if you dont consider all humans equal.
    Cricket is limited to 10-12 countries, Chess is popular in at least 10 times that many countries, what's with your desi this, desi that? For a game to be called popular it must have wide reach and cricket miserably fails on that front, it is similar to field hockey/rugby/baseball in that regard with the added advantage that desis breed like rabbits. I am done with your trolling, so don't bother replying.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    432 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Cricket is limited to 10-12 countries, Chess is popular in at least 10 times that many countries, what's with your desi this, desi that? For a game to be called popular it must have wide reach and cricket miserably fails on that front, it is similar to field hockey/rugby/baseball in that regard with the added advantage that desis breed like rabbits. I am done with your trolling, so don't bother replying.
    How can you give equal weight to countries? Is Sri Lanka the same as USA?

So I see you don't give equal value to humans (wow. desis breed like rabbits therefore they are less humans?). Nothing else to see. Go and play ludo and chess. Nothing more to say to you.

Debut
    Jan 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Sure football is the answer to most of these questions
    The post was in reference to the OP's question about the SECOND most popular sport.

“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule”

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1246 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    The post was in reference to the OP's question about the SECOND most popular sport.
    Oops my bad.

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Dynamic
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Football
    Tennis
    F1
    Basketball
    Badminton
    TT
    Golf
    Hockey
    Volleyball

Cricket will not be even in top 10 if we consider how many countries/ races play it worldwide.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    432 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AamchiMumbaikar View Post
    Football
    Tennis
    F1
    Basketball
    Badminton
    TT
    Golf
    Hockey
    Volleyball

Cricket will not be even in top 10 if we consider how many countries/ races play it worldwide.
    No race or country is superior than any other race or country. All humans are equal. Each human vote should count the same irrespective of nationality or race.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    379 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Don't waste your time explaining too much to him. Usually one or two posts per thread is enough to entertain him.

You are right that to measure game's popularity you actually have to take views/interests from other countries into consideration not the ones where it is super popular.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Basketball. It just keeps growing at a rapid rate. I can see it rival Football by 2040.

A skilled hawk conceals its talons.

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Destroyer View Post
    Basketball. It just keeps growing at a rapid rate. I can see it rival Football by 2040.
    no man, not happening

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    496 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Formula -1 if you consider it a sport, or Tennis either one.

Basketball might be popular in terms of playiybut defn viewing it has to be F-1 or Tennis, and UFC has gained a lot to be in top-5 now.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1652 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JaDed View Post
    Formula -1 if you consider it a sport, or Tennis either one.

Basketball might be popular in terms of playiybut defn viewing it has to be F-1 or Tennis, and UFC has gained a lot to be in top-5 now.
    Ever been to watch a F-1 race? It has to be one of the most sports event ever.... you see the cars go by you in a flash and then you wait a minute and a half for them to come back again. Unless you are seated somewhere where there is a screen nearby you can barely tell who gained or lost positions during a lap.

F-1 should only be viewed on tv.

#Hum apko container deingaye dharnay ke liyay

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    496 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    Ever been to watch a F-1 race? It has to be one of the most sports event ever.... you see the cars go by you in a flash and then you wait a minute and a half for them to come back again. Unless you are seated somewhere where there is a screen nearby you can barely tell who gained or lost positions during a lap.

F-1 should only be viewed on tv.
    Have you been to one? The vibrations are remarkable.
    I agree on position and lap issue but it could be fun, I used to watch bits and pieces on TV as well but found it not as interesting.