User Tag List

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Ben Stokes' 50 of 103 balls against India - Worst ODI innings of the decade?

Could not rotate the strike, could not hit boundaries. It is probably the worst ODI inning of the last decade.
    Last edited by UN talkz; 12th July 2018 at 14:49.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, write up there with the champions trophy Innings he played against Pakistan. Can not play against quality spin.

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Venue
    Jeddah
    Runs
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Phateechar Innings

We will never surrender. We win or we die. And don't think it stops there. You will have the next generation to fight; and after the next, the next.

OMAR MUKHTAR

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    New Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    246 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Misbah against India semi final 2011 still tops the list for me.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Venue
    New Delhi, India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    519 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Odd_One View Post
    Could not rotate the strike, could not hit boundaries. It is probably the worst ODI inning of the last decade.
    England failed to bat full 50 overs. Stokes built a good partnership with Buttler to help England get to 268. Without Stokes innings, England would have struggled to make 200-220 even. Nowhere close to the worst ODI innings. More like a average ODI innings

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by amit View Post
    England failed to bat full 50 overs. Stokes built a good partnership with Buttler to help England get to 268. Without Stokes innings, England would have struggled to make 200-220 even. Nowhere close to the worst ODI innings. More like a average ODI innings
    Slowest 50 by an Englishman in a decade, what does that tell you?

Buttler was batting at 100+ SR without breaking a sweat and Stokes SR was hovering around 40.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freelance_cricketer View Post
    That has to be the ultimate worst innings of all time by a pretty pateechar player and we rewarded him by making him captain for half a decade.

#Mein inko rolaonga

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    He did a repair job but a 50 in 103 is not excusable under any context, against any opposition on any pitch.

However, his prolonged misery allowed England to bat 50 overs and have a minute chance of salvaging something from this game.

Debut
    Mar 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    That has to be the ultimate worst innings of all time by a pretty pateechar player and we rewarded him by making him captain for half a decade.
    So much disrespect for a guy who bought respect and stability back to Pakistan team. Unbelievable.

Debut
    Jan 2014
    Venue
    Deen Over Dunya
    Runs
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    he stopped a collapse. had he gone guns blazing England might have been shot out fr 200.

they have a chance to defending 268 especially if they can get Kohli cheaply.

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It was bad innings, but he was the only one who made over 50. The rest of Pak's batsmen were awful and it wasn't because they were forced to slog, just look at their strike rates, 70s, 40s, 30s.

And even then Misbah brought his strike rate above 70.

Here Ben stokes scored at a less than 50 SR when his team mates are scoring 100 SR, a set batsman at the other end in Butler, and no real pressure (as this isn't a world cup or decider).

Misbah played a bad mohali innings, but he didn't negatively cost the team. The rest of our batsmen did bad too. Just Misbah didn't play an innings to give his team a chance. Had Misbah had got out first ball, result would have been the same, in fact we'd probably have put up a lower total of runs if anything.

I think the worst sort of long innings are like Shehzad's one. I remember it was against West Indies and Shehzad was chasing a lowish total and played so slow that it forced the guys near the end to hit out at the end to win the game. Took a no pressure chase into a pressurised one.

Worst innings though is probably an innings where you don't score anything yet waste a lot of balls when your team isn't in a dire situation when wickets are not falling. Misbah and Stokes innings aren't that, but I'm sure there's plenty of examples of that.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    1 bad performance is labbled the worst and 1 good performance it is called the best. There's no in between on this forum.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Seeing how India are cruising along without breaking a sweat, Stokes innings was pathetic. It did not amount to anything just like the CT semi-final. He averages 38 with the ball with over 6 ER. He does not offer much in ODIs. The all-rounder spot should go to Moeen who is a better bowler. Hales should come back as an opener.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    Not quite all there.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    913 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rahul1 View Post
    So much disrespect for a guy who bought respect and stability back to Pakistan team. Unbelievable.
    It's funny because Younis played an equally terrible innings yet no one points the finger at him despite the torture we had to bear in watching him bat in ODIs for the next 5 years and terrible character.

At least Misbah restored our honor.

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My sense is his inning will have the full backing of England dressing room and that's all that matters. He is struggling to get in form, shots not coming thru, had a terrible IPL and needs time in the middle to get some confidence back. Would be foolish to think that england or india is takng this series as anything more than an opportunity to get their line ups crystalised and important players back in form.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by happydavy View Post
    My sense is his inning will have the full backing of England dressing room and that's all that matters. He is struggling to get in form, shots not coming thru, had a terrible IPL and needs time in the middle to get some confidence back. Would be foolish to think that england or india is takng this series as anything more than an opportunity to get their line ups crystalised and important players back in form.
    Weirdly and absurd as it may sound , I kinda agree. Feels like both teams arenít caring much about this game and rather trying their combinations for the World Cup. Iím allís itís positive England will come back 10 times stronger next game.

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No because pretty much every misbahs fifty was worser or equal to this.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shows you difference in class of batting between Buttler and Stokes, considering Buttler was batting at such a high strike rate.

Buttler has established himself as the most valuable LO player for England.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    New Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Wasn’t the worst but was a bad scratchy innings..

Debut
    Aug 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shutdown Corner View Post
    he stopped a collapse. had he gone guns blazing England might have been shot out fr 200.

they have a chance to defending 268 especially if they can get Kohli cheaply.
    Big difference between going 'guns blazing' and 50 of 103

'I was shivering facing Akhtar' -Tendulkar

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Venue
    221B Baker Street
    Runs
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    No. His 34 off 64 with 0 4's and 0 6's in the semi final vs Pakistan was one of the worst I've seen.

"When You Have Eliminated The Impossible, Whatever Remains, However Improbable, Must Be The Truth!

Debut
    Feb 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am sensing a mental midget in Stokes. It is unexplainable how he enters a shell at times.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    649 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    They missed Hales big time

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Younis' 13 off 32 in the same match was worse.

Does cricket survive off of it's money or does it survive for it's money?

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasan123 View Post
    1 bad performance is labbled the worst and 1 good performance it is called the best. There's no in between on this forum.
    True but this guy gets too much praise when he has already bottled it in high profile tournaments never mind these meaningless ODI's

Ah, so this is what it feels like

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Stokes' top 3 worst performances

1. WT20 final
    2. CT semi final
    3. 2018 1st ODI against India

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherlock View Post
    No. His 34 off 64 with 0 4's and 0 6's in the semi final vs Pakistan was one of the worst I've seen.
    Don't you know the reason for that? As explained so eloquently over novel-length posts by PP's resident expert. That was due to PCB conspiring with the curators to transport a dead and dry pitch from Karachi for the match. If the match was played in true English conditions England would have scored 500 and ol' Benny would have been first Englishman to score 200. Kyun @Mamoon sahi bola meine?

#Mein inko rolaonga

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Technically it was a well-constructed, well-paced innings. 10/10 for me
    Last edited by TeamPak95; 12th July 2018 at 19:50.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stokes is the most overrated player on this forum. He should focus more on his batting now

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Venue
    wellington
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He wants to be in good books of BCCI.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    And you thought that you had seen the last of Misbah.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I saw a bit and he was simply not able to read spinners. If anyone plays 50(100) kind of knock, it becomes much harder for others to compensate to push total score near 100. Having said that, I am not sure if Eng would have even reached 250 if Stokes had not faced 100 balls.

"If this happens I will swim across the Charles River! In winter!" -- OZGOD on NZ batting 6 sessions

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Worst ODI innings of the decade is a huge over reaction. England were collapsing against spin, he had to be a bit more reserved and without him England probably wouldn't have even got 250.

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    except butler and maybe root to some extent they are clueless against quality spinners

Debut
    Nov 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Worst innings of the decade is huge over reaction..There so many innings of Dhoni which would surpass Stokes innings..One of them was against WI last year with scoring first boundary after 100 something balls.

Debut
    Jun 2015
    Venue
    Srinagar
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dhoni 54(89) against Pakistan, Misbah 52(129) against WI {Afridi got 76(55)}, YK 13(32) Mohali, actually most of Misbah and YK's slowathons qualify

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    676 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Stokes was matching Buttlerís scoring until the latter got out.

After that he had to bat in the anchor role so he slowed down. Without his go-slow England might have been all out for 230.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    imagine if Moeen Ali played an innings like this (though he never would). The English would have been at his throat.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffet View Post
    I saw a bit and he was simply not able to read spinners. If anyone plays 50(100) kind of knock, it becomes much harder for others to compensate to push total score near 100. Having said that, I am not sure if Eng would have even reached 250 if Stokes had not faced 100 balls.
    It was not just spinners, he was not able to hit pacers as well.

What difference did it make eventually? The point is these slow innings do not amount to anything in this batting friendly era. Batsman taking a chance and batting at higher SR may actually turn the game on its head as opposed to these slow 50s.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Another great inning by world's best and most impactful all-rounder