User Tag List

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why is the United States so poor at football?

America a nation of 400 Million people, with all kinds of people and first World Sporting facilities, still cannot qualify for the worlds biggest sporting competition out of the easiest group.

Before anyone points towards Italy and Netherlands also missing on the qualification, one must realize how competitive it is to qualify from the Euro Zone compared to Americans who compete with Costa Rica, Panama and Trinidad to qualify and yet fail at it.

Italy failed to qualify for the WC due to Sweden who went on to the QF round whereas USA failed to qualify against teams like Costa Rica and Panama whose quality was there for everyone to see.

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boomboomcheema View Post
    America a nation of 400 Million people, with all kinds of people and first World Sporting facilities, still cannot qualify for the worlds biggest sporting competition out of the easiest group.

Before anyone points towards Italy and Netherlands also missing on the qualification, one must realize how competitive it is to qualify from the Euro Zone compared to Americans who compete with Costa Rica, Panama and Trinidad to qualify and yet fail at it.

Italy failed to qualify for the WC due to Sweden who went on to the QF round whereas USA failed to qualify against teams like Costa Rica and Panama whose quality was there for everyone to see.
    One of the reason, it has become a 'rich man' sports in US.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    US prefers a different Football. Their best athletes are into Basketball and American Football.

Debut
    Aug 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most Americans don't care about Soccer to the same extent that Europeans and South Americans do.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    Not quite all there.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    918 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Don't care about it. The moment the US starts caring about a sport they don't care about like soccer/football or cricket, mark my words, they would start dominating it in 5-10 years. They have the resources and facilities to produce the finest athletes in the world

Debut
    Sep 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's mostly non-americans and outsiders who mostly care about USA not qualifying and shaming them while most average Americans don't care .

American football is so ingrained in their culture that Soccer has no chance of being the Number 1 Sport in the country.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1565 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Because they call it soccer

#Hum apko container deingaye dharnay ke liyay

Debut
    Dec 2007
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    No one really has any incentives to play soccer here...from a young age kids play football, basketball, and baseball...no one really gets to play soccer properly even in schools..I remember hearing in middle school there was a team, and in high school, again no soccer team. The culture just isn't there for it.

The only way I can see soccer and cricket thriving in the US is if they can develop leagues like the NFL, NBL, NBA...giving parents incentives to have there kids take up those sports. Other than that I just don't see it. I'm sure if the people in masses start focusing on both of these sports, the US would definitely develop great teams with the amount of athletic talent that is here.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have to pay to play here. That said, we have the best women's team in the world (3 x world champs).

"Be the best version of yourself"

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1565 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mmkextreme_1 View Post
    No one really has any incentives to play soccer here...from a young age kids play football, basketball, and baseball...no one really gets to play soccer properly even in schools..I remember hearing in middle school there was a team, and in high school, again no soccer team. The culture just isn't there for it.

The only way I can see soccer and cricket thriving in the US is if they can develop leagues like the NFL, NBL, NBA...giving parents incentives to have there kids take up those sports. Other than that I just don't see it. I'm sure if the people in masses start focusing on both of these sports, the US would definitely develop great teams with the amount of athletic talent that is here.
    Idk MLS usually has packed grounds....

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4491 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Mental weakness and too timid just like the Canadians

Ah, so this is what it feels like

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    They have made same or more World Cups in last 30 or so years than a few major European countries such as Holland so I dont know what youre on about

Football (or soccer) is a minor sport in the US and most importantly the top athlethes are not going into the sport. I would say while a significant percentage are genuinely into soccer primarily, quite a few soccer players are those who couldn't make it in NFL, NBA, MLB etc and soccer is the fallback sport

#MPGA

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaz619 View Post
    Finished 3rd in 1930, quarterfinals in 2002, made every world cup from 1986 till 2014 lol.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slog View Post
    They have made same or more World Cups in last 30 or so years than a few major European countries such as Holland so I dont know what youre on about

Football (or soccer) is a minor sport in the US and most importantly the top athlethes are not going into the sport. I would say while a significant percentage are genuinely into soccer primarily, quite a few soccer players are those who couldn't make it in NFL, NBA, MLB etc and soccer is the fallback sport
    Because America has to compete against Nations like Costa Rica, Panama, Honduras, Trinidad to qualify for the WC whereas Euro Nations have to compete against other Stronger Football countries to grab the same spot.

It's not as if Americans play exceptionally decent Football to qualify everytime it's just that their route to qualification and competition is easiest of all. Doubt they will ever qualify for the WC if they competed with Euro or South American teams.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1565 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakistanian View Post
    Finished 3rd in 1930, quarterfinals in 2002, made every world cup from 1986 till 2014 lol.
    The Brits are flying high because they just had their best ever WC in 3 decades

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wouldn't say they're poor, average at the moment.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boomboomcheema View Post
    Because America has to compete against Nations like Costa Rica, Panama, Honduras, Trinidad to qualify for the WC whereas Euro Nations have to compete against other Stronger Football countries to grab the same spot.

It's not as if Americans play exceptionally decent Football to qualify everytime it's just that their route to qualification and competition is easiest of all. Doubt they will ever qualify for the WC if they competed with Euro or South American teams.
    so how come they make knockouts and QFs as well on a regular basis?

the fact is that for a country where football is a minor sport, USA does very well and outperforms many countries where it is the major sport

#MPGA

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    The Brits are flying high because they just had their best ever WC in 3 decades
    Well, technically just England as the other British teams failed to make it. BTW, did you hear, flooding in Scotland due to the tears of laugher?

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    If Americans took Football even half as seriously as they take baseball ,they would have 2-3 wcs by now.

I hardly see people playing the sport here even though there are many grounds, Latin immigrants play it though.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1565 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kroll View Post
    Well, technically just England as the other British teams failed to make it. BTW, did you hear, flooding in Scotland due to the tears of laugher?
    I'm sure the celebrations in Scotland and Ireland were something else last night

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1565 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Actually many girls play soccer/football in US while growing up and it is a popular sport amongst girls since it is not as physical as American football etc. Hence why US have the best women's soccer/football team.

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4491 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Congrats, you're better then Canada

Ah, so this is what it feels like

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1565 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Congrats, you're better then Canada
    Nobody can match us in hockey....

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because they don't care about it but Canada is even worse

Debut
    Jan 2008
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

May the Hawks Fly Forever. Lightning Hawks CC -- Team Thread.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Actually many girls play soccer/football in US while growing up and it is a popular sport amongst girls since it is not as physical as American football etc. Hence why US have the best women's soccer/football team.
    many boys do as well but when they grow up they move on to more popular and financially rewarding sports such as NFL, NBA etc.

however girls dont have same options so tend to stick with soccer more. And tbf they get paid decently too

#MPGA

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nobody can match us in hockey....
    Lol no canadian team has won the stanley cup since 1994. I wasn't even alive then lol.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Lol no canadian team has won the stanley cup since 1994. I wasn't even alive then lol.
    lol really? thats mindblowing if true.

#MPGA

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol really? thats mindblowing if true.
    Lol it's even worse, they haven't won since 1993.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List..._Cup_champions

Debut
    Jan 2008
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    If players played in their hometown, American teams would get smoked every single year in the NHL. What's the point of boasting about using Canadian/Russian/Swedish players to win Stanley cups? Hell, Washington's coach, GM, and assistant GM were Canadian too.

Canada has won the most Olympic golds in ice hockey (men and women).

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    275 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    many boys do as well but when they grow up they move on to more popular and financially rewarding sports such as NFL, NBA etc.

however girls dont have same options so tend to stick with soccer more. And tbf they get paid decently too
    Actually in high school and grade school you usually see the more athletic kids playing baseball and football while the nerds play soccer. For example you will only see Indian kids playing soccer and tennis not basketball.

USA is by far the best country in basketball. Actually the best players don't even play for the national team in Olympics and WC. They send the younger guys (like A team for cricket) for experience.

Nobody can match us in basketball which is probably the second most popular sport behind soccer.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kingusama92 View Post
    If players played in their hometown, American teams would get smoked every single year in the NHL. What's the point of boasting about using Canadian/Russian/Swedish players to win Stanley cups? Hell, Washington's coach, GM, and assistant GM were Canadian too.

Canada has won the most Olympic golds in ice hockey (men and women).
    that is the stupidest argument ever lol.

I guess titiles won by Chelsea, Real Madrid etc dont count for you

#MPGA

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1565 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Check the Olympics gold medal record Yankee

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1565 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Funny you lot are comparing league results for a sport but ignoring national results because of Canada's immaculate record. It's not surprising the best NHL teams are mostly comprised of Canadian players.

Also since we are on the topic of leagues Toronto FC were the champions of MLS last season

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    275 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Check the Olympics gold medal record Yankee
    Funny you lot are comparing league results for a sport but ignoring national results because of Canada's immaculate record. It's not surprising the best NHL teams are mostly comprised of Canadian players.

Also since we are on the topic of leagues Toronto FC were the champions of MLS last season
    Why you chest thumping about hockey? Barely anybody plays ice hockey.

Look at how far ahead USA is in the #2 sport- basketball.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    298 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Who says we are poor in 'Football'?

"If this happens I will swim across the Charles River! In winter!" -- OZGOD on NZ batting 6 sessions

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Yes but Brazil clubs' achievements aren't considered big, and they have 5 WCs.
    A club's achievement cannot be attributed to the country esp if there is no foreign player rule.

Although Maple leafs have underperformed severely inspite of much pumping of money.

Debut
    Jan 2008
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Not when we're determining a nation's quality.

A rich domestic league signals good business sense and nothing more. It allows them to bring in the likes of Messi, Ronaldo, Suarez, Bale, Benzema and Coutinho.

If Toronto win an NBA championship, Canada becomes the best country in basketball? How does this make sense?

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who says they are weak?

Give it a few more years, they havnt been in it for a long time like European and south American nations.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    American women’s team won in 2015 I believe and 1999.

The WC for Men’s is extremely popular due to the various immigrant groups available.
    Last time Colombia made the QF’, it was obnoxious because they blocked traffic for hours around where I lived.

Soccer in general is only played by the largely Spanish population outside school and girls at the school level.

Here, football is king with 1/3 of the population tuning in to watch the Super Bowl (not to mention the commercials) with basketball a distant second.

I personally love playing basketball, especially defense. I can’t understand or watch football and hate the monotone soccer.
    Favorite basketball player currently:

Kwahi Leonard

All-time favorite basketball player:

Ben Wallace (That entire Goin’ to Work Era was something special and would whup the Warriors).
    Last edited by ManFan; 13th July 2018 at 01:10.

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1257 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Football isn't very popular among Americans as there is not much money in it for people taking up sports. If you are in America, you would need to be playing either Basketball, American Football or Baseball. Then comes ice hockey. These sports make you millionaires (if you are good) and gives you name and fame. So the people there have no interest in taking up Football.

Debut
    Apr 2007
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    208 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It goes against the US sporting culture. There is no US sports, where you have to run constantly. US sports are stop/start, revolves around play, that restart every time. Plus most of them requires upper body strength, in baseball and football most athletic positions are for upper body strength. Like in Baseball batter and pitcher hardly run, they can through at 100 MPH but cannot run at all. Batters are generally top heavy too...Even in Basket ball upper body strength is key in certain position, Centers and defenders are generally not only tall but pretty strongly built...Also, most of the American sports are played above the ground not on it and hands are must

Soccer is different, predominately lower body is used, and requires lot of running, and you cannot use your hand....

If you want to do things that are certain to succeed, you are doing very obvious thing - E Musk

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are not histrionically a Football playing country.

PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    A bit rich coming from an Englishman

Does cricket survive off of it's money or does it survive for it's money?

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by giri26 View Post
    Football isn't very popular among Americans as there is not much money in it for people taking up sports. If you are in America, you would need to be playing either Basketball, American Football or Baseball. Then comes ice hockey. These sports make you millionaires (if you are good) and gives you name and fame. So the people there have no interest in taking up Football.
    Soccer has thr highest participation rates among the youth, I remember only playing soccer during recess back in grade school.

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1257 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Soccer has thr highest participation rates among the youth, I remember only playing soccer during recess back in grade school.
    But when it comes to playing at professional level, the best athletes in the US pick one of the above mentioned sports. When I was in the university in the US, I hardly heard anything about soccer. It was always American Football, Baseball, Basketball etc..Those are the only viable sport for them and it is very understandable.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Yorkshire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    236 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Remember that they are hosting it again in 2026, long term I think that soccer will become huge in the US.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Nottignham
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Remember that they are hosting it again in 2026, long term I think that soccer will become huge in the US.
    I don't think so. They don't have the coaches from youth to the top level.

It will also remain a girl sport over thr

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the reasons is that most of USA players dont have enough players playing in European clubs which suggests their players are not good enough.

Debut
    Dec 2007
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Again, only way MLS can gain any ground is if the fanbase starts building from a younger age.

Right now, here there is American football, basketball, and baseball fields everywhere. Soccer fields not so many. Also, there is no money that is involved in soccer like there is in the other sports. In order for it to become popular, they need to develop it at the grassroots levels like the other sports (you will see 3-year-olds here that parents will take out and play/practice/for fun in parks with a football or a baseball)..the other 3 have become a part of the "American culture" so FIFA and ICC if they want to expand cricket..this is the model they will have to follow. Will take time, have to be patient. Need to find investors that can spend big money (don't see it happening though, especially with the other sports saturating the market).

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Football/Soccer is predominantly girls sport here in the US and It has to compete with Softball, lacrosse and volleyball for participation. Soccer has footings only in big metros where there are sizable first generation immigrant population.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    505 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Some strange excuses on here.

USA have the MLS which is a decent league. USA have more people playing football from kids to proffesional adults in at home than nations like Uruguay and Croatia.

The funniest comments are if USA take football seriously they will dominate lol.

Uruguay and Croatia have produced great players. Modric and Suarez are just two from tiny nations with poor facilities.

USA have not produced a single great player to this day.

The simple reason is they have not been good enough in this sport.

Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of Sheep

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKhanWC View Post
    Some strange excuses on here.

USA have the MLS which is a decent league. USA have more people playing football from kids to proffesional adults in at home than nations like Uruguay and Croatia.

The funniest comments are if USA take football seriously they will dominate lol.

Uruguay and Croatia have produced great players. Modric and Suarez are just two from tiny nations with poor facilities.

USA have not produced a single great player to this day.

The simple reason is they have not been good enough in this sport.
    Americans view soccer as a sissy sport. You will not find kids growing up idolizing soccer players. To understand why it is hard for any team sport to make it big in the US, you have to understand how organized youth sport work here.
    More than kids, the parents want their children to succeed in football, basketball or baseball because they think their kids can get rich playing these sports. They don't even know that soccer is big in Europe and their kids can make money playing soccer in other countries.
    Also it's easier for them to teach their children, the sport they have played growing up in High School, than soccer, which 90% of them don't know about.
    Kids play a sport with the intention of getting college scholarship, you need to see the difference in infrastructure for football vs soccer in any power five college confrences. So all the top level athletes take up football, baseball or basketball and the rest who can't make it in the top level in these sports filter down to other sports.
    It's not US cannot produce great soccer players, it's the best of the best athletes in the US do not take up soccer.
    Last edited by Birdman; 13th July 2018 at 18:28.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    505 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdman View Post
    Americans view soccer as a sissy sport. You will not find kids growing up idolizing soccer players. To understand why it is hard for any team sport to make it big in the US, you have to understand how organized youth sport work here.
    More than kids, the parents want their children to succeed in football, basketball or baseball because they think their kids can get rich playing these sports. They don't even know that soccer is big in Europe and their kids can make money playing soccer in other countries.
    Also it's easier for them to teach their children, the sport they have played growing up in High School, than soccer, which 90% of them don't know about.
    Kids play a sport with the intention of getting college scholarship, you need to see the difference in infrastructure for football vs soccer in any power five college confrences. So all the top level athletes take up football, baseball or basketball and the rest who can't make it in the top level in these sports filter down to other sports.
    It's not US cannot produce great soccer players, it's the best of the best athletes in the US do not take up soccer.
    I have already addressed this point. Btw It's football not soccer, this is the first thing they should change.

US have the MLS and other leagues which have proffesional players. Football is the 4th most popular sport ahead of tennis and boxing , yet the US regularly produce world champions in both sports.

US has more choice to select from over many nations including Croatia and Uruguay, yet haven't produced a single great player.

Americans so far are just not great at playing football. Maybe similar to Scotland.

Debut
    Jan 2008
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    I have already addressed this point. Btw It's football not soccer, this is the first thing they should change.
    It's not football, it's Cuju.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    505 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It's not football, it's Cuju.
    The goal in cuju looks a bit different

Debut
    Jan 2008
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    The goal in cuju looks a bit different
    Looks the same as UK (1863).

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    505 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Looks the same as UK (1863).

Similar

Do you see the little square space? You have to put the ball through it to score.

"Scoring: In the game of Cuju, any team player may shoot at any target hole from either side of the single Cuju net located at the center of the play area at any time. To score in Cuju, a player must kick or head the ball through one of the three target holes located in the Cuju net."

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    315 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by troodon View Post
    US prefers a different Football. Their best athletes are into Basketball and American Football.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafa View Post
    Most Americans don't care about Soccer to the same extent that Europeans and South Americans do.
    Quote Originally Posted by hafeezrocks View Post
    It's mostly non-americans and outsiders who mostly care about USA not qualifying and shaming them while most average Americans don't care .
    Quote Originally Posted by mmkextreme_1 View Post
    No one really has any incentives to play soccer here...from a young age kids play football, basketball, and baseball...no one really gets to play soccer properly even in schools..
    Soccer is actually quite popular in the US. As a sport to watch, it is as popular as basketball and more popular than baseball for the age group 18 to 34. In the age group 35 to 54 it is more popular than baseball.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/224864/...ort-watch.aspx

True.

The question remains, why does the US not do well, and lack of interest is not the answer. Countries like Croatia and Uruguay with 1% of the population of the US, significantly outperform the US.

In the Olympics China and the US are the superpowers. In Football they are both duds. So it is not lack of athleticism which holds these countries back.

The answer is that the best football players have flair, imagination and creativity. The sports culture of the US is too stilted, too conformist. It just doesn't make for good footballers. The European country whose culture is closest to the US is England, and generally their football team also generally sucks given the size of the country.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    315 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Soccer has threatened to become "huge" in the US for over 80 years now, since the 1930 WC where the US finished #3.

Before the 1950 WC, the English had a reputation as the "Kings of Football",[5] with a post-war record of 23 wins, 4 losses, and 3 ties. They had beaten the Italians 4–0 and the Portuguese 10–0 in Lisbon two weeks before that.

In the 1950 WC, US beat England 1-0!!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...IFA_World_Cup)

Debut
    Jan 2008
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Similar

Do you see the little square space? You have to put the ball through it to score.

"Scoring: In the game of Cuju, any team player may shoot at any target hole from either side of the single Cuju net located at the center of the play area at any time. To score in Cuju, a player must kick or head the ball through one of the three target holes located in the Cuju net."
    Seems like FIFA doesn't mind.

Invented in the Han Dynasty, [Cuju] is recognized by FIFA as the earliest form of football - FIFA.com

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They also hosted in 1994.
    They simply dont care about the sport. It will take like a 100 years to even get to mainstream public.

Its like people who want to believe football is popular in India and Pakistan, well its not and it wont be in 100 years.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    315 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pakistani pride View Post
    They also hosted in 1994.
    They simply dont care about the sport. It will take like a 100 years to even get to mainstream public.

Its like people who want to believe football is popular in India and Pakistan, well its not and it wont be in 100 years.
    You have no idea about India. Football has been huge in Bengal for about a 100 years, with the legendary rivalry between East Bengal and Mohan Bagan. Football is also very popular in Kerala, Goa and Punjab. India also won the gold medal in the Asian Game in 1951 and 1962.

The reason why this popularity didn't result in international level was that the Indian players could not keep up athletically with the Europeans and South Americans. The athletic standards are rising, and I see India doing better in the coming decades.

Debut
    Sep 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Napa View Post
    You have no idea about India. Football has been huge in Bengal for about a 100 years, with the legendary rivalry between East Bengal and Mohan Bagan. Football is also very popular in Kerala, Goa and Punjab. India also won the gold medal in the Asian Game in 1951 and 1962.

The reason why this popularity didn't result in international level was that the Indian players could not keep up athletically with the Europeans and South Americans. The athletic standards are rising, and I see India doing better in the coming decades.
    Kool, hopefully then by next century India would qualify for the WC and play 3 matches of the group stage before being knocked out of the tournament. That's the max you will ever get to see , first round three matches once a decade.

Debut
    Oct 2007
    Venue
    Singapore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    American men's team is not that bad if the top 32 teams were only selected in the world cup then they would be involved most times. The problem they face is they need to qualify through Central and South American teams.

"Too often we... enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought"-JFK

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    529 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    A lot of people are missing the real reason. First you have to show your ability in high school, and then get into a footballing university. No matter how talented you are at football, the US will only send youngsters to play in whatever their equivalent is to academies (usually univiersites or colleges like UCLA, St Louis, Indiana and Virginia) if their family is willing to pay a handsome amount.

It's not like grassroots football in England, where if you're good enough, scouts will eventually pick up on you and give you a chance with trials. So not only do you have to be talented, you also have to come from a fairly wealthy background, and commit yourself to football and the average american will not be willing to do this for several reasons. You also not only have to get into these universities, but also make the team in a short period of time. NOT only this, but after making the team, even if you win the national championship, you still might not get drafted into the MLS, which means you would have to constantly play in lower divisions to garner attention from scouts without any financial security. It's not a smooth transition like football in the UK.

In all honesty it's a place where the sport isn't popular, the quality of the best league isn't great and the road is extremely tough. It's just not sensible and most people aren't passionate enough about football to take the risk.
    Last edited by WC-Passion; 15th July 2018 at 13:14.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There not interested as there are more popular sports, and its probably a good thing because like others have mentioned, when America does anything wheter its sports, engineering, technology, business etc. they smoke the rest of the world.

If you want to destroy a country, just create enmity between its people and their army - Salahuddin

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Napa View Post

Let's see. Hopefully it happens. I for one will back any subcontinent team in the WC.

After 2022 the World Cup will also have 48 teams I believe so it will be considerably easier to qualify as well

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Btw It's football not soccer, this is the first thing they should change.
    Why do all Europeans feel the need to say this whenever North American soccer is brought up? lIke yeah I agree too that football is obviously a better name for it but if I was to say that I would confuse most of the population here. That's not even relevant lol

Does cricket survive off of it's money or does it survive for it's money?

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    Éire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    They arent poor fgs why the hyperbole. They had a shocker of a qualifying campaign because the team became infested with ego's and had a manager who outstayed his welcome. In the 2014 WC they were excellent and involved in many exciting games. Considering the level of interest the Yanks have for the sport they are at a perfectly decent standard.

See You Space Cowboy....