Instagram

SportsFever360

International Cricketers XI

Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 80 of 97
  1. #1
    Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    New Delhi
    Runs
    47,747
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Virat Kohli has won 39/50 matches as ODI captain - Joint highest with Clive Lloyd and Ricky Ponting

    Just need the trophies and series wins to secure his legacy as a great captain.

    His test captaincy record is amazing too.

  2. #2
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    New Delhi
    Runs
    4,727
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Without a World Cup win this record won’t mean much..

    Kohli needs a World Cup win to be remembered as best ever

  3. #3
    Debut
    Mar 2015
    Venue
    Pink City_Jaipur
    Runs
    503
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Curious to know his captaincy record in other 2 formats.

  4. #4
    Debut
    Feb 2018
    Runs
    650
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will this be the 40th win in 51 matches? Crazy win percentage!

  5. #5
    Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    New Delhi
    Runs
    47,747
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackShadow View Post
    Will this be the 40th win in 51 matches? Crazy win percentage!
    This is the 50th match.

    So 38/50 now.

    He matches Lloyd and Ponting at this point.

  6. #6
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    1,084
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freelance_cricketer View Post
    This is the 50th match.

    So 38/50 now.

    He matches Lloyd and Ponting at this point.
    In numbers may be but do you really think he has the intelligence of ponting or any other great captains on field? No doubt when has the bat in hand he knows how to get runs but on field captaincy

  7. #7
    Debut
    Mar 2015
    Venue
    Pink City_Jaipur
    Runs
    503
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kohli gets lots of criticism for his biased selections, cluelessness when in pressure, remaining in Dhoniís shadows etc.

    Still these numbers are insanely amazing.

    ODIs- 38 wins in 50 matches
    Tests- 23 wins in 35 matches

  8. #8
    Debut
    Mar 2018
    Runs
    590
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plumb View Post
    In numbers may be but do you really think he has the intelligence of ponting or any other great captains on field? No doubt when has the bat in hand he knows how to get runs but on field captaincy
    Ponting was not a great captain. You could have made a ten year old kid the captain of that Australian team and he would have had the same success which Ponting had.

  9. #9
    Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    806
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OneTip-OneHand View Post
    Kohli gets lots of criticism for his biased selections, cluelessness when in pressure, remaining in Dhoniís shadows etc.

    Still these numbers are insanely amazing.

    ODIs- 38 wins in 50 matches
    Tests- 23 wins in 35 matches
    Kohli has been good captain but many of the credit in limited overs goes to wrist spin. Opponents are just clueless against them and even if they score our top 3 just chase it down easily. He is just leader for media but onfield changes and other stuff is dhoni. He just goes for toss and does bowling changes but The most important thing here might be Kohli performs with great intent and sets very high bar and this motivates other player to work hard as well.

  10. #10
    Debut
    Mar 2015
    Venue
    Pink City_Jaipur
    Runs
    503
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plumb View Post
    In numbers may be but do you really think he has the intelligence of ponting or any other great captains on field? No doubt when has the bat in hand he knows how to get runs but on field captaincy
    Intelligence of Ponting is overrated. Rather he had a GOAT team.

  11. #11
    Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    14,883
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freelance_cricketer View Post
    This is the 50th match.

    So 38/50 now.

    He matches Lloyd and Ponting at this point.
    JAMODI specialist. Lost the most important ODI game as a captain

    Hehe

  12. #12
    Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    806
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OneTip-OneHand View Post
    Intelligence of Ponting is overrated. Rather he had a GOAT team.
    Same can be said about kohli too? He doesn't have goat team but has great top 3 + Rahul & Pandya as all rounder. Wrist spinners have been excellent for kohli.

  13. #13
    Debut
    Mar 2015
    Venue
    Pink City_Jaipur
    Runs
    503
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pakistani pride View Post
    JAMODI specialist. Lost the most important ODI game as a captain

    Hehe
    Most important for you may be We have higher ambitions.

  14. #14
    Debut
    Mar 2015
    Venue
    Pink City_Jaipur
    Runs
    503
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam99 View Post
    Same can be said about kohli too? He doesn't have goat team but has great top 3 + Rahul & Pandya as all rounder. Wrist spinners have been excellent for kohli.
    Yeah i agree. I was replying to @Plumb . Actually i see lots of similarities in Kohli and Ponting.

    Both aggressive as a captain and as a player.
    Blessed with some truly magnificent players in the team.
    Best player of the team.

  15. #15
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    1,084
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OneTip-OneHand View Post
    Intelligence of Ponting is overrated. Rather he had a GOAT team.
    and kohli don't have a top of the line batting lineup? point is looking at the games where is taking charge on field as a captain is seems to be clueless on times and Dhoni is doing most of the work. It 'll be great if he learns a thing or two from Dhoni but I am yet to be impressed with his captaincy.

  16. #16
    Debut
    Mar 2015
    Venue
    Pink City_Jaipur
    Runs
    503
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plumb View Post
    and kohli don't have a top of the line batting lineup? point is looking at the games where is taking charge on field as a captain is seems to be clueless on times and Dhoni is doing most of the work. It 'll be great if he learns a thing or two from Dhoni but I am yet to be impressed with his captaincy.
    I donít deny any of your points. I was simply saying that Ponting isnít a great captain either because you quoted him as example. Ponting was bleassed with a team of 10 match winners besides him. Steve Waugh and Mark Taylor were far better tacticians.

  17. #17
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    247
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam99 View Post
    Kohli has been good captain but many of the credit in limited overs goes to wrist spin. Opponents are just clueless against them and even if they score our top 3 just chase it down easily. He is just leader for media but onfield changes and other stuff is dhoni. He just goes for toss and does bowling changes but The most important thing here might be Kohli performs with great intent and sets very high bar and this motivates other player to work hard as well.
    Are you kidding me, Dhoni looked clueless in England last time around. Kohli is not dependent on anybody, Dhoni being WK has importance like any WK. Don't make it about Dhoni.Kohli has won test matches as a captain which Dhoni does not play.

  18. #18
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    1,084
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OneTip-OneHand View Post
    I don’t deny any of your points. I was simply saying that Ponting isn’t a great captain either because you quoted him as example. Ponting was bleassed with a team of 10 match winners besides him. Steve Waugh and Mark Taylor were far better tacticians.
    OP says most victories captain have ponting in it so referred that..

  19. #19
    Debut
    Mar 2015
    Venue
    Pink City_Jaipur
    Runs
    503
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plumb View Post
    OP says most victories captain have ponting in it so referred that..
    Got it bro. I think we both are in same boat Cheers

  20. #20
    Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    806
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jadaja View Post
    Are you kidding me, Dhoni looked clueless in England last time around. Kohli is not dependent on anybody, Dhoni being WK has importance like any WK. Don't make it about Dhoni.Kohli has won test matches as a captain which Dhoni does not play.
    Dhoni won series in england last time without experienced side and without wrist spinners! About test matches kohli wins in asia cause of jaddu and ashwin and our batting lineup. Idk what exceptional kohli has done to deserve the praise. Result going his way because of his performance and mostly importantly our wrist spinners.

  21. #21
    Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    806
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Say anything but he looks really clueless sometimes and keeps asking to dhoni or even rohit for field setting. About his team selection he favours chahal over kuldeep. He chooses to chase in high pressure matches (ct final). Yes result and stats are in his favour as captain but that doesn't mean he is very good captain. I will rate him avg - good captain.

  22. #22
    Debut
    Jan 2017
    Runs
    1,148
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TBH I won't rate Kohli as a captain until Dhoni retires. Also he needs to win a world cup to even be in the discussion.

  23. #23
    Debut
    Nov 2017
    Venue
    Jhansi(uttar pradesh),India
    Runs
    543
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam99 View Post
    Dhoni won series in england last time without experienced side and without wrist spinners! About test matches kohli wins in asia cause of jaddu and ashwin and our batting lineup. Idk what exceptional kohli has done to deserve the praise. Result going his way because of his performance and mostly importantly our wrist spinners.
    Eng of 2014(odi) was a nothing team.
    So kohli wins in india coz of ash jaddu and batting lineup while dhoni was a one man army?
    Kohli is surely a better test captain than dhoni whose captaincy is overrated in this format

  24. #24
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    247
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam99 View Post
    Dhoni won series in england last time without experienced side and without wrist spinners! About test matches kohli wins in asia cause of jaddu and ashwin and our batting lineup. Idk what exceptional kohli has done to deserve the praise. Result going his way because of his performance and mostly importantly our wrist spinners.
    Bangladesh beat that England team what exceptional has Dhoni done.He was awful and lost in tests captain.Any captain will win due bowlers and batsmen only, it is how those bowlers came into and blossomed is what makes a captain great captain.
    Kohli had guts to drop both Ashwin and Jadeja after CT 2017 which not many captain do.

    Dhoni had long career and was good but Kohli is different beast.

  25. #25
    Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    806
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeeteshssaxena View Post
    Eng of 2014(odi) was a nothing team.
    So kohli wins in india coz of ash jaddu and batting lineup while dhoni was a one man army?
    Kohli is surely a better test captain than dhoni whose captaincy is overrated in this format
    Quote Originally Posted by jadaja View Post
    Bangladesh beat that England team what exceptional has Dhoni done.He was awful and lost in tests captain.Any captain will win due bowlers and batsmen only, it is how those bowlers came into and blossomed is what makes a captain great captain.
    Kohli had guts to drop both Ashwin and Jadeja after CT 2017 which not many captain do.

    Dhoni had long career and was good but Kohli is different beast.
    Both of you guys didn't get my point regarding dhoni. All i want to say is dhoni does 70% job of kohli in limited overs cricket. In test cricket if we are playing in asia we dont even need kohli the batsman or captain and we can still win against any side. Out of asia we need kohli but can win even without him being captain. Infact we should have won the south africa test series where kohli's captaincy flaws lost us the series. Our Team was just stronger compared to south africa's.

  26. #26
    Debut
    Jun 2011
    Venue
    Delhi
    Runs
    9,536
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The other two had atg players. So unfair comparison.

  27. #27
    Debut
    Nov 2008
    Runs
    8,384
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kohli is doing wonders for India.. Thatís why I rate him higher than Tendulkar, ganguly, etc because he Not only carries the burden of expectation as the best batsman but also the captain and he more often than not fulfills those expectations. Tendulkar failed miserably as captain. Kohli will be an all time great, no question about it.

    As long as he fails against Pakistan, I would not mind that his great streak

  28. #28
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    122
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its of no use till he wins a world cup...hope he ends his career as Ponting instead of like Graeme Smith

  29. #29
    Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    22
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He hasn't played against teams like Zimbabwe, Scotland, West Indies a lot.

  30. #30
    Debut
    Oct 2015
    Venue
    Andromeda
    Runs
    2,182
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    This is ridiculous.

    He can lead team India for another 10 years, easily.

    He'll set new Bradman-esque records

    Amazing times for Indians.

    PS: I'd pay my hard earned Euros for Pak vs India complete series.

  31. #31
    Debut
    Oct 2015
    Venue
    Andromeda
    Runs
    2,182
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by big_gamer007 View Post
    Without a World Cup win this record won’t mean much..

    Kohli needs a World Cup win to be remembered as best ever
    WC can be tricky

    An unreal achievement by VK

    He's a guarantee in chases.

  32. #32
    Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    25,082
    Mentioned
    4446 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Already one of the greatest captains ever in my opinion


    Ah, so this is what it feels like

  33. #33
    Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    25,082
    Mentioned
    4446 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by big_gamer007 View Post
    Without a World Cup win this record won’t mean much..

    Kohli needs a World Cup win to be remembered as best ever
    Quote Originally Posted by WhenSultansBowled View Post
    WC can be tricky

    An unreal achievement by VK

    He's a guarantee in chases.
    Virat Kohli doesn't need to win a World Cup to cement his greatness, the World Cup needs Virat Kohli more then Virat Kohli needing the WC.

    When you have a once in a millennium cricketer who is blessed with so much grace, talent and ability it would be a big loss for the World Cup trophy to not be able to get hands on Virat Kohli, it would devalue the World Championship.

    Virat is above the WC as a player and captain, he doesn't need to win it for his legacy to be enhanced. The World Cup needs Virat Kohli for its value to be enhanced though.


    Ah, so this is what it feels like

  34. #34
    Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    18,902
    Mentioned
    293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freelance_cricketer View Post
    Just need the trophies and series wins to secure his legacy as a great captain.

    His test captaincy record is amazing too.
    Ponting and Kohli are not in class of Lloyd when it comes to captaincy.


    "If this happens I will swim across the Charles River! In winter!" -- OZGOD on NZ batting 6 sessions

  35. #35
    Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    25,082
    Mentioned
    4446 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffet View Post
    Ponting and Kohli are not in class of Lloyd when it comes to captaincy.
    Is there a best captain ranking out there for every format think we need one to reinforce your views


    Ah, so this is what it feels like

  36. #36
    Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    18,902
    Mentioned
    293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaz619 View Post
    Is there a best captain ranking out there for every format think we need one to reinforce your views
    You probably need to watch more cricket and then no one needs to point out that you are making ATG threads for players who have been consistently ranked around 40-50. Malik is an ATG and Kohli doesn't need to win WC, lol. Carry on with that.


    "If this happens I will swim across the Charles River! In winter!" -- OZGOD on NZ batting 6 sessions

  37. #37
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    20,050
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Fantastic record. May not be the best tactically but he gets tuebbest out of his team. He has that aura and respect, also leads through performance.

  38. #38
    Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    New Delhi
    Runs
    47,747
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffet View Post
    Ponting and Kohli are not in class of Lloyd when it comes to captaincy.

    Lloyd had the much feared pace quartet and players like Sylvester Clarke sitting on thr bench.

    Also competition wasnt much back then. Aus was their onlyserious rival. England were weam and rest of the teams were pretty much minnow level.

    Kohli has achieved these numbers in a much more competitive environment despite not having a fearsome pace attack

  39. #39
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    73,196
    Mentioned
    4469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    He is going to go down as arguably the greatest batsman and one of the best five cricketers in history.

    A legendary cricket who is at the peak of his powers right now, and his best years are still to come.

    Truly a once in a lifetime cricketer, a player who has defined an era and will be remembered for decades and decades to come.

  40. #40
    Debut
    Oct 2015
    Venue
    Andromeda
    Runs
    2,182
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaz619 View Post
    Virat Kohli doesn't need to win a World Cup to cement his greatness, the World Cup needs Virat Kohli more then Virat Kohli needing the WC.

    When you have a once in a millennium cricketer who is blessed with so much grace, talent and ability it would be a big loss for the World Cup trophy to not be able to get hands on Virat Kohli, it would devalue the World Championship.

    Virat is above the WC as a player and captain, he doesn't need to win it for his legacy to be enhanced. The World Cup needs Virat Kohli for its value to be enhanced though.
    Don't do that bro, don't do that

    se te ve el plumero

  41. #41
    Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    everywhere
    Runs
    21,228
    Mentioned
    267 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He is an average captain at best.

    His selection policies are mediocre and on field tactics are just above average.

    A brilliant batting line up and the fact that he has India's best bowling attack ever in their history of playing hides these obvious observations.

  42. #42
    Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    901
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freelance_cricketer View Post
    Lloyd had the much feared pace quartet and players like Sylvester Clarke sitting on thr bench.

    Also competition wasnt much back then. Aus was their onlyserious rival. England were weam and rest of the teams were pretty much minnow level.

    Kohli has achieved these numbers in a much more competitive environment despite not having a fearsome pace attack
    Unlike Ponting Lloyd built his team. He saw Lille and Thomson bowling hostile spell of fast bowling and then later India chased down 400 against his spinners.
    This was the time that he decided to go Aussie route , it also helped that he managed to find that type of fast bowler but this was Lloyd decision to go for all fast attack .

  43. #43
    Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    1,700
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A very impressive record but he needs to top it off with an ICC trophy win. If he can't do that then he willn forever remain in Dhoni's shadow.

  44. #44
    Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    New Delhi
    Runs
    47,747
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Madplayer View Post
    He is an average captain at best.

    His selection policies are mediocre and on field tactics are just above average.

    A brilliant batting line up and the fact that he has India's best bowling attack ever in their history of playing hides these obvious observations.
    Just a couple of newbie wrist spinners eho have a long way to go. Pace attack is ordinary.

    India's middle order after top 3 hasnt been all that.

    Lloyd and Ponting had much better teams at their disaposal and on case of Lloyd there wasnt much resistance from opponents.

  45. #45
    Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    901
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Madplayer View Post
    He is an average captain at best.

    His selection policies are mediocre and on field tactics are just above average.

    A brilliant batting line up and the fact that he has India's best bowling attack ever in their history of playing hides these obvious observations.
    He is the one to give Bumrah, chahal and Yadav chance .
    Nobody was in favour of giving Bumrah chance in test matches.
    He'll he even played Amit Mishra in 2014 Asia cup and Mishra bowled well and later Dhoni chucked him out. Dhobi is better LOI captain but his tendency to stick with same type of players were baffling .
    Virat tendency to do new thing are can be sometime good like sending Rahul at no. 3 or some time it can be bad like choosing Sharma instead of Rahane but at least he don't go through motion while chips are down. He try to shake things up in a attacking manner like yesterday he used Kuldeep in three different spell.

  46. #46
    Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    901
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hell not He'll and one two more typo error above .

  47. #47
    Debut
    Mar 2015
    Venue
    Pink City_Jaipur
    Runs
    503
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A captain is as good/great as his team. I donít deny that a captain has to be brilliant tactician and command the respect from the team.

    But give the likes of Dodda Ganesh, Abey Kuruvilla, Sadagopan Ramesh, Deep Daagupta, Jacob Martin etc to GOAT captains like Clive Lloyd, Ricky Ponting, Imran Khan or Steve Waugh and They will be as good as Sachin Tendulkar.

    All the legendary captains were blessed with ATG/GOAT players in their team. So no point dismissing VKís achievement because he has a brilliant batting line up or very talented wrist spinners.

  48. #48
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    73,196
    Mentioned
    4469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Madplayer View Post
    He is an average captain at best.

    His selection policies are mediocre and on field tactics are just above average.

    A brilliant batting line up and the fact that he has India's best bowling attack ever in their history of playing hides these obvious observations.
    How many captains in history have achieved success with poor players? Every captain needs great players.

  49. #49
    Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    everywhere
    Runs
    21,228
    Mentioned
    267 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freelance_cricketer View Post
    Just a couple of newbie wrist spinners eho have a long way to go. Pace attack is ordinary.

    India's middle order after top 3 hasnt been all that.

    Lloyd and Ponting had much better teams at their disaposal and on case of Lloyd there wasnt much resistance from opponents.
    Quote Originally Posted by Navdeep Srivastava View Post
    He is the one to give Bumrah, chahal and Yadav chance .
    Nobody was in favour of giving Bumrah chance in test matches.
    He'll he even played Amit Mishra in 2014 Asia cup and Mishra bowled well and later Dhoni chucked him out. Dhobi is better LOI captain but his tendency to stick with same type of players were baffling .
    Virat tendency to do new thing are can be sometime good like sending Rahul at no. 3 or some time it can be bad like choosing Sharma instead of Rahane but at least he don't go through motion while chips are down. He try to shake things up in a attacking manner like yesterday he used Kuldeep in three different spell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    How many captains in history have achieved success with poor players? Every captain needs great players.
    His selection of certain players and dropping of certain players have raised eyebrows many a times.

    I am interested to hear why you guys think he is a great captain because i think its well established that good results arent always same as good captaincy. Clarke was a superior captain than Ponting for instance but has lesser to show as achievements.

    Do you think Kohli is tactically good? Or he is a good leader of men and a good man manager? Which qualities do you think make him a good captain apart from the good results which can be achieved because of captaincy coinciding with a bunch of good players? Because he is thoroughly mediocre or just above average in all the aspects that i mentioned. He goes in hiding when the team is under the pump while fielding. In CT final Dhoni had to take over during the match and set fields etc. His tactics on field are nothing special either unlike Dhoni himself. Yes i will give him credit for trusting the pacers more and bringing some aggression. Overall he has over achieved as a pure captain, just like Ponting.
    Last edited by Madplayer; 13th July 2018 at 08:44.

  50. #50
    Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    25,082
    Mentioned
    4446 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffet View Post
    You probably need to watch more cricket and then no one needs to point out that you are making ATG threads for players who have been consistently ranked around 40-50. Malik is an ATG and Kohli doesn't need to win WC, lol. Carry on with that.
    The only aspect of cricket you follow are rankings the be and end all for buffet or you struggle evidently

  51. #51
    Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    901
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Madplayer View Post
    His selection of certain players and dropping of certain players have raised eyebrows many a times.

    I am interested to hear why you guys think he is a great captain because i think its well established that good results arent always same as good captaincy. Clarke was a superior captain than Ponting for instance but has lesser to show as achievements.

    Do you think Kohli is tactically good? Or he is a good leader of men and a good man manager? Which qualities do you think make him a good captain apart from the good results which can be achieved because of captaincy coinciding with a bunch of good players? Because he is thoroughly mediocre or just above average in all the aspects that i mentioned. He goes in hiding when the team is under the pump while fielding. In CT final Dhoni had to take over during the match and set fields etc. His tactics on field are nothing special either unlike Dhoni himself. Yes i will give him credit for trusting the pacers more and bringing some aggression. Overall he has over achieved as a pure captain, just like Ponting.
    He is not mediocre, may be not great but certainly not mediocre.
    Ponting didn't overachieved he was just not great as Waugh or Clarke.
    Sometimes you have to give opposition credit for what they did just like Steve Waugh look clueless against Sachin four hundred in 98(take kanpur or desert storm or Dhaka inning). A clueless captain would not have used resource like kohli dod yesterday.
    Remember Australian odi series when in a match yadav and chahal went for run and Aussie was 224/1 even then he restricted Aussie to 293 with good bowling changes.

  52. #52
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    New Delhi
    Runs
    4,727
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaz619 View Post
    Virat Kohli doesn't need to win a World Cup to cement his greatness, the World Cup needs Virat Kohli more then Virat Kohli needing the WC.

    When you have a once in a millennium cricketer who is blessed with so much grace, talent and ability it would be a big loss for the World Cup trophy to not be able to get hands on Virat Kohli, it would devalue the World Championship.

    Virat is above the WC as a player and captain, he doesn't need to win it for his legacy to be enhanced. The World Cup needs Virat Kohli for its value to be enhanced though.

    Haha spoken like a true kohl fan.. The greatest achievement of Kohli is not on the cricketing field but it is turning you into a kohli fan..

  53. #53
    Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    18,902
    Mentioned
    293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freelance_cricketer View Post
    Lloyd had the much feared pace quartet and players like Sylvester Clarke sitting on thr bench.

    Also competition wasnt much back then. Aus was their onlyserious rival. England were weam and rest of the teams were pretty much minnow level.

    Kohli has achieved these numbers in a much more competitive environment despite not having a fearsome pace attack
    He was not given that fearsome attack. He built it from scratch.


    "If this happens I will swim across the Charles River! In winter!" -- OZGOD on NZ batting 6 sessions

  54. #54
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    73,196
    Mentioned
    4469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffet View Post
    He was not given that fearsome attack. He built it from scratch.
    But he didn't teach those guys how to bowl. He had high quality pacers at his disposal, and it was a matter of giving them the opportunity to flourish. That is completely different to not having the service of such players at all.

    You bring Lloyd today and he would struggle to lead this WI team to glory. Every captain needs the service of top players.

  55. #55
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    73,196
    Mentioned
    4469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Madplayer View Post
    His selection of certain players and dropping of certain players have raised eyebrows many a times.

    I am interested to hear why you guys think he is a great captain because i think its well established that good results arent always same as good captaincy. Clarke was a superior captain than Ponting for instance but has lesser to show as achievements.

    Do you think Kohli is tactically good? Or he is a good leader of men and a good man manager? Which qualities do you think make him a good captain apart from the good results which can be achieved because of captaincy coinciding with a bunch of good players? Because he is thoroughly mediocre or just above average in all the aspects that i mentioned. He goes in hiding when the team is under the pump while fielding. In CT final Dhoni had to take over during the match and set fields etc. His tactics on field are nothing special either unlike Dhoni himself. Yes i will give him credit for trusting the pacers more and bringing some aggression. Overall he has over achieved as a pure captain, just like Ponting.
    There are many facets to captaincy. Kohli is a great motivator who tends to bring the best out of the players that he is leading. India's bowling, especially Test bowling, has clearly improved in his tenure. He is not as good as Dhoni in Limited Overs, but he is certainly a better captain than Tests.

    Every captain needs good players to work with, and ultimately a captain is judged by his results. India have been ruthless under his captaincy and have had success overseas as well. The claim that he is a mediocre captain but has a great team is pretty redundant. No captain can lead a mediocre team to glory.

  56. #56
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    New Delhi
    Runs
    4,727
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffet View Post
    He was not given that fearsome attack. He built it from scratch.

    What do you mean he built it from scratch? All he did was advocate for having pacers in the squad which was very good strategy from his part and clever thinking seeing how Australia were doing well with Lillie/Thommo.

    But he was lucky to have world class fast bowlers at his disposable.. Even today kohli knows he will dominate world cricket by getting 3 great fast bowlers and one fast bowling all rounder who is world class but problem is there is no one available.

    Lloyd was a great captain no doubt but he was massively helped by his team of superstars and world beaters at that time.

  57. #57
    Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    18,902
    Mentioned
    293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    But he didn't teach those guys how to bowl. He had high quality pacers at his disposal, and it was a matter of giving them the opportunity to flourish. That is completely different to not having the service of such players at all.

    You bring Lloyd today and he would struggle to lead this WI team to glory. Every captain needs the service of top players.
    You do need service, but captains like Border and Llyod built great teams which dominated cricket. One of the main job of captain is to nurture his team.


    "If this happens I will swim across the Charles River! In winter!" -- OZGOD on NZ batting 6 sessions

  58. #58
    Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    18,902
    Mentioned
    293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by big_gamer007 View Post
    What do you mean he built it from scratch? All he did was advocate for having pacers in the squad which was very good strategy from his part and clever thinking seeing how Australia were doing well with Lillie/Thommo.

    But he was lucky to have world class fast bowlers at his disposable.. Even today kohli knows he will dominate world cricket by getting 3 great fast bowlers and one fast bowling all rounder who is world class but problem is there is no one available.

    Lloyd was a great captain no doubt but he was massively helped by his team of superstars and world beaters at that time.
    Lloyd made a change in how WI was going to play cricket. That was not luck.

    Kohli made decision to not play Rahane and play Rohit Sharma in SA test series in start. Now seriously, you have to be a poor captain to do that. Now that's just an example and it won't be fair to judge him based on that, but let's see how well he does in future. With current Indian team, he should win test series in SA, Aus and Eng. May be not in Aus, Indians don't have bowlers to bowl well in Aus yet.


    "If this happens I will swim across the Charles River! In winter!" -- OZGOD on NZ batting 6 sessions

  59. #59
    Debut
    Feb 2010
    Runs
    6,240
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Very good win rate so far. Lost the all important match though. Such records do not count for much without proper silverware.

    Bigger concern however is lack of foresight especialy in over reliance on over the hill aged players, no faith in younger batsmen or grooming proper pacers. Kohli showed great signs when he got Kuldeep and Chahal into the team ahead of Ashwin and Jadeja. Since then not much young talent into the team. So far it has not hurt us but it will bite us soon.

  60. #60
    Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    New Delhi
    Runs
    47,747
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffet View Post
    He was not given that fearsome attack. He built it from scratch.
    And Kohli showed the guts to drop Ashwin and Jadeja from LOI sides and bring in two rookies. It was a throw of dice that worked for Kohli royally.

    Like Mamoon said thats thats what you do. Lloyd didnt teach half a dozen Carribean blokes to bowl with brisk pace. The talent was there that got strategically put into place by Lloyd. Kohli has done the same by introducing 2 lethal wrist spinners by replacing his 2 seasoned test spinners. It was a huge decision. Had it not worked people would have bashed him to no end for ending Ashwin Jadeja's careers.

  61. #61
    Debut
    Feb 2010
    Runs
    6,240
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freelance_cricketer View Post
    And Kohli showed the guts to drop Ashwin and Jadeja from LOI sides and bring in two rookies. It was a throw of dice that worked for Kohli royally.

    Like Mamoon said thats thats what you do. Lloyd didnt teach half a dozen Carribean blokes to bowl with brisk pace. The talent was there that got strategically put into place by Lloyd. Kohli has done the same by introducing 2 lethal wrist spinners by replacing his 2 seasoned test spinners. It was a huge decision. Had it not worked people would have bashed him to no end for ending Ashwin Jadeja's careers.
    The way Ashwin and Jadeja performed in shorter formats after 2015 WC, they deserved to be kicked out. Both were averaging over 50 from WC to CT and were hardly taking any wickets in LOI while taking bucketful of wickets in Tests. Great decision to slot them as Test specialists.

  62. #62
    Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    18,902
    Mentioned
    293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freelance_cricketer View Post
    And Kohli showed the guts to drop Ashwin and Jadeja from LOI sides and bring in two rookies. It was a throw of dice that worked for Kohli royally.

    Like Mamoon said thats thats what you do. Lloyd didnt teach half a dozen Carribean blokes to bowl with brisk pace. The talent was there that got strategically put into place by Lloyd. Kohli has done the same by introducing 2 lethal wrist spinners by replacing his 2 seasoned test spinners. It was a huge decision. Had it not worked people would have bashed him to no end for ending Ashwin Jadeja's careers.
    It was certainly a good decision. String of decisions like this will decide if he goes down as great captain in history or simply a good captain.


    "If this happens I will swim across the Charles River! In winter!" -- OZGOD on NZ batting 6 sessions

  63. #63
    Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Manitoba
    Runs
    1,288
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats nature of bold decisions right?
    If they work the captain looks like a genius.
    If it backfires, captain is interrogated no end by media and experts on why did he do somthing stupid?
    If YuKu ( Yuzvendra/Kuldeep) had not delivered, Kohlis captaincy would be on the electric chair?

  64. #64
    Debut
    Dec 2016
    Venue
    Jeddah
    Runs
    3,712
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mp812rediff View Post
    Thats nature of bold decisions right?
    If they work the captain looks like a genius.
    If it backfires, captain is interrogated no end by media and experts on why did he do somthing stupid?
    If YuKu ( Yuzvendra/Kuldeep) had not delivered, Kohlis captaincy would be on the electric chair?
    It's KulCha not YuKu


    We will never surrender. We win or we die. And don't think it stops there. You will have the next generation to fight; and after the next, the next.

    OMAR MUKHTAR

  65. #65
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    New Delhi
    Runs
    4,727
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffet View Post
    Lloyd made a change in how WI was going to play cricket. That was not luck.

    Kohli made decision to not play Rahane and play Rohit Sharma in SA test series in start. Now seriously, you have to be a poor captain to do that. Now that's just an example and it won't be fair to judge him based on that, but let's see how well he does in future. With current Indian team, he should win test series in SA, Aus and Eng. May be not in Aus, Indians don't have bowlers to bowl well in Aus yet.

    Yes the selection during SA series were appalling however if you actually see the past record for 1 year or so Rahane was not in form and was abysmal while Rohit was coming off with a century and good form.. Now all those matches were played in India and Rahane is a better overseas player than in India so kohli should have realised that..

    But they persisted with Sharma in the hope he will finally perform overseas however he is just another Yuvraj Singh in tests..

    Lloyd did not do anything innovative my friend he took what is working for Australia and improved it.. Great call no doubt but he was lucky to have found the aggressive bowlers he wanted.. Not many teams can afford that.. Ganguly brought in much needed aggression but he still couldn’t win overseas because our pace bowling was garbage..

    Kohli might not be the greatest tactician and night favour his friends however if he wins the WC he will be remembered as an ATG captain albeit with an ATG team just like ponting.

  66. #66
    Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    12,122
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good record but needs to win a big tournament otherwise he will just be a...




    Bilateral series bully

  67. #67
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    3,123
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Sarfraz can be praised for his T20 record, surely VK deserves the same songs of praise.

    Still not convinced of his captaincy/leadership however and believe Dhoni pulls most of the weight.

  68. #68
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    3,123
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by big_gamer007 View Post
    Yes the selection during SA series were appalling however if you actually see the past record for 1 year or so Rahane was not in form and was abysmal while Rohit was coming off with a century and good form.. Now all those matches were played in India and Rahane is a better overseas player than in India so kohli should have realised that..

    But they persisted with Sharma in the hope he will finally perform overseas however he is just another Yuvraj Singh in tests..

    Lloyd did not do anything innovative my friend he took what is working for Australia and improved it.. Great call no doubt but he was lucky to have found the aggressive bowlers he wanted.. Not many teams can afford that.. Ganguly brought in much needed aggression but he still couldn’t win overseas because our pace bowling was garbage..

    Kohli might not be the greatest tactician and night favour his friends however if he wins the WC he will be remembered as an ATG captain albeit with an ATG team just like ponting.
    Lloyd was not so much innovative as diplomatic.

    His lasting legacy was creating a unified locker room that learned to put aside tribal/island differences.

  69. #69
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaz619 View Post
    Virat Kohli doesn't need to win a World Cup to cement his greatness, the World Cup needs Virat Kohli more then Virat Kohli needing the WC.

    When you have a once in a millennium cricketer who is blessed with so much grace, talent and ability it would be a big loss for the World Cup trophy to not be able to get hands on Virat Kohli, it would devalue the World Championship.

    Virat is above the WC as a player and captain, he doesn't need to win it for his legacy to be enhanced. The World Cup needs Virat Kohli for its value to be enhanced though.
    This is the best comment I have read. Indian fans seem to be cynical half the time about kohli and proud half the time. I feel this is the dichotomy of love and hate. I strongly believe it is fortunate for India kohli is here and any team would be happy to have him in their team whether he wins World Cup or not. My bil who watched the first t20 in Old Trafford told us that kohli fielded few minutes near their stand and the intensity and concentration from kohli were beyond what we can think of. If a normal spectator can feel the intensity of this guy from stands imagine what his team can imbibe from him. We are proud of kohli for what he has accomplished till now and wish him the greatest success.

  70. #70
    Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    6,696
    Mentioned
    257 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Still not even the best captain in his own team and not among top 3 captains overall.

    He's tactically very poor and his selections have been really bad. You give captaincy to Sharma and India would still have achieved the same results with such a strong team.

  71. #71
    Debut
    Jun 2009
    Runs
    1,672
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lost when it mattered most

  72. #72
    Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    New Delhi
    Runs
    47,747
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mp812rediff View Post
    Thats nature of bold decisions right?
    If they work the captain looks like a genius.
    If it backfires, captain is interrogated no end by media and experts on why did he do somthing stupid?
    If YuKu ( Yuzvendra/Kuldeep) had not delivered, Kohlis captaincy would be on the electric chair?
    Its Kulcha bro.

    A spicy aalu kulcha

  73. #73
    Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    2,600
    Mentioned
    420 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Anyone who has watched India play under kohli will know that he is a rubbish captain. He has got strong team so he wins matches anyway.
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 13th July 2018 at 23:14.

  74. #74
    Debut
    Mar 2013
    Runs
    1,298
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by asadee View Post
    Lost when it mattered most
    Won every single one of them that matters the most to Indians (World Cup matches)

  75. #75
    Debut
    Feb 2018
    Runs
    305
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree. Same matter applies to any captain who had strong team. Be it Ponting or Steve Waugh!!!!

  76. #76
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    734
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    He is going to go down as arguably the greatest batsman and one of the best five cricketers in history.

    A legendary cricket who is at the peak of his powers right now, and his best years are still to come.

    Truly a once in a lifetime cricketer, a player who has defined an era and will be remembered for decades and decades to come.
    I think he is going to regress soon, probably in 2 years time.

  77. #77
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    734
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManFan View Post
    Lloyd was not so much innovative as diplomatic.

    His lasting legacy was creating a unified locker room that learned to put aside tribal/island differences.
    He was a visionary and created a four pronged pace attack for WI which laid the basis for it's domination of world cricket for years. He might have diplomatic as well, but he was certainly a great captain and also a clutch player.

  78. #78
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    3,123
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyRabbit View Post
    He was a visionary and created a four pronged pace attack for WI which laid the basis for it's domination of world cricket for years. He might have diplomatic as well, but he was certainly a great captain and also a clutch player.
    No doubt.

    But he is not someone who brought revolutionary tactics that helped his team win like Crowe opening with a spinner in an ODI or Imran introducing reverse swing.

    He was the first to use Four Fast Bowlers but got the idea after watching Australia. It would be akin to a team today playing four spinners after watching Kuldeep and Chahal bowling. It's not an innovation but an improvement. Infact, Lilee and Thompson were the ones to introduce bouncers after adjusting their lengths from Aussie wickets to International ones.

    Lloyd used a technique of pairing a Trinidadian with a Jamaican or a batsman with a bowler to help them overcome their ethical or playing differences. This is where the team synergy came into play along with "Denis the Physio" after WSC, who introduced a heavy training regimen that improved their fielding.


    "Preventive war is like committing suicide for fear of death" ~ Otto Von Bismarck

  79. #79
    Debut
    Mar 2018
    Runs
    115
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great achievement but all would be waste facts if he doesnt perform in World cup.

  80. #80
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    734
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManFan View Post
    No doubt.

    But he is not someone who brought revolutionary tactics that helped his team win like Crowe opening with a spinner in an ODI or Imran introducing reverse swing.

    He was the first to use Four Fast Bowlers but got the idea after watching Australia. It would be akin to a team today playing four spinners after watching Kuldeep and Chahal bowling. It's not an innovation but an improvement. Infact, Lilee and Thompson were the ones to introduce bouncers after adjusting their lengths from Aussie wickets to International ones.

    Lloyd used a technique of pairing a Trinidadian with a Jamaican or a batsman with a bowler to help them overcome their ethical or playing differences. This is where the team synergy came into play along with "Denis the Physio" after WSC, who introduced a heavy training regimen that improved their fielding.
    Definitely, but the amount of talent that WI possessed, they just needed a leader to galvanize them as they were way ahead of the game in terms of talent and performance. Just like Waugh in late noughties, who was also a simple minded non innovative leader. I love the tale of when Lloyd saw lillee and thommo ball and wanted to create a pace attack of the same mould.
    For example, the team that Crowe led was just a good team and not the best one, to compete they needed to do something out of the box to outshine their opponents which led to out-of-the-box tactics. Similarly, Allan Border's if my info is correct, introduced a tailender as a pinch hitter in the middle order, as they needed something extra to beat a better side in the world cup ie England.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •