User Tag List

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    242 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Is Pakistan cricket really benefiting from playing against lower ranked teams?

I personally feel it is of zero value, this is not the first time the team has been on a winning streak against very sub par opposition only to be shown up against the big boys.

For my perspective, our ODI and T-20 team is still considerably behind the likes of England, Australia, NZ, South Africa and India. Just watching the batting alone with your own eyes tells you about the lack of quality and our bowling is not like what it was in 2009 when we had 5-6 quality wicket taking bowlers.

India chased down 270 vs England in an ODI in 40 overs and here we have Pakistan struggling to get to 300 in 50 overs against Zimbabwe of all teams.

Our batting strike rates are just not there at all, most teams now have batsmen who consistently bat at 90-100 and then accelerate at the end up to 130-140 whereas our batsmen on the other hand operate at 60-70 for the most part before accelerating to 90-100 max by the end of the innings.

And seeing the manner in which Sarfaraz's fitness issues are being ignored where he comes in with a big belly as a captain really gets to me and on the other hand you see the Indian team really taking their fitness levels to a whole new level.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    209 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When the games are this one sided, you don't benefit much.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes we are. This is still a relatively raw and unproven side but they are at least showing hunger to not just beat but instead demolish Zimbabwe. Granted the bowling is pretty settled but this tour has been a perfect spot to try players like Asif Ali, Hussain Talat, Haris Sohail and Yasir Shah to see how they might fit into the side without receiving a demoralising phainty in the process. Looking forward to seeing some squad rotation in the next few games.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    242 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hitthestump View Post
    Yes we are. This is still a relatively raw and unproven side but they are at least showing hunger to not just beat but instead demolish Zimbabwe. Granted the bowling is pretty settled but this tour has been a perfect spot to try players like Asif Ali, Hussain Talat, Haris Sohail and Yasir Shah to see how they might fit into the side without receiving a demoralising phainty in the process. Looking forward to seeing some squad rotation in the next few games.
    Nah, don't think so. This is not the first time I have seen this with the Pakistan team. The PCB seriously needs to work hard at scheduling tours with the big boys better. Look at India, consistently playing against the likes of England, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and they look to rest players, play a second eleven against the likes of Sri Lanka, West Indies, Zimbabwe, Bangladesh e.t.c.

Our team was exposed big time vs NZ in NZ and it is much weaker than it appears playing against the likes of Sri Lanka, West Indies, Zimbabwe. Heck even Bangladesh gives us a big stretch these days.

I don't recall the last time we won a bilateral series against England, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa which speaks volumes about how far we have fallen behind vis a vis other countries.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It actually gives wrong perception that we are way too strong and gets difficult when we play top teams.

If a batsmen wants to perfect his game he practice with 90-95 mph bowls so that when he plays 80mph bowlers in a game he play with ease.

Same thing with playing better teams. If we play tough teams we will perfect our game and players feel challenged and that bring best out of them.

Playing these kind of opponents will make them lose interest in a way.

Debut
    Dec 2005
    Venue
    Sharjah, U.A.E
    Runs
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    I personally feel it is of zero value, this is not the first time the team has been on a winning streak against very sub par opposition only to be shown up against the big boys.

For my perspective, our ODI and T-20 team is still considerably behind the likes of England, Australia, NZ, South Africa and India. Just watching the batting alone with your own eyes tells you about the lack of quality and our bowling is not like what it was in 2009 when we had 5-6 quality wicket taking bowlers.

India chased down 270 vs England in an ODI in 40 overs and here we have Pakistan struggling to get to 300 in 50 overs against Zimbabwe of all teams.

Our batting strike rates are just not there at all, most teams now have batsmen who consistently bat at 90-100 and then accelerate at the end up to 130-140 whereas our batsmen on the other hand operate at 60-70 for the most part before accelerating to 90-100 max by the end of the innings.

And seeing the manner in which Sarfaraz's fitness issues are being ignored where he comes in with a big belly as a captain really gets to me and on the other hand you see the Indian team really taking their fitness levels to a whole new level.
    Yeah Rohit Sharma looks real ripped next to Sarfraz Ahmed

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    267 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    What is this obsession with India? Pakistani fans need to have some self-esteem. India is a far stronger team with very experienced players.

Given the strength of Pakistani team, it has been doing a fine job since Mickey took over.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    242 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Usman Chadda View Post
    Well he compensates for it by scoring 150's whereas Sarfaraz batting output is non-existent

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    242 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Odd_One View Post
    What is this obsession with India? Pakistani fans need to have some self-esteem. India is a far stronger team with very experienced players.

Given the strength of Pakistani team, it has been doing a fine job since Mickey took over.
    Even inexperienced Indian batsmen look miles ahead of their Pakistani counterparts and experienced Pakistani batsmen.

India played a debutant against England who scored a triple century against England. That guy has not been heard of again because he was filling in Rahane in one test match. That shows the gulf in class as far as the bench strength is concerned between the two teams.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes. what's that saying of 'keeping the sword sharp before it become rusty'. Any kind of cricket helps when there is no one is to play to.

3WCs, #1 Test #1 ODI team, Fab 9: Sachin, Dravid, Saurav, Kumble, VVS, Viru, Zak, MSD, Yuvi

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    India would had sent their B team to this kind of tour to Zimbabwe...speaks volumes about the quality and bench strength

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    We do seem to have played a disproportionate amount of matches against minnows recently. I want to see Pak playing more high quality cricket against major cricketing nations. Unlike the host, I do not think we are a weak limited overs side, but if we do not play against quality opposition, our young side will not grow and develop quickly.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the flip side, heck a win is a win right ? I'd take the win which boosts morale gain confidence. i'd take that with a heart beat rather than loose consistently with top teams which then causes selectors to remove players who are trying to build confidence like fakhar or Babar and replace them back with a Umar or Hafeez...

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    267 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Even inexperienced Indian batsmen look miles ahead of their Pakistani counterparts and experienced Pakistani batsmen.

India played a debutant against England who scored a triple century against England. That guy has not been heard of again because he was filling in Rahane in one test match. That shows the gulf in class as far as the bench strength is concerned between the two teams.
    Stop obsessing with India. They have a far better cricketing structure. Their batting culture is unmatched in this era. These comparisons are absurd. Do not pretend that India has been doing all the right things. Rohit still plays tests for them. Karthik and Raina have been brought back. Dhoni is still batting as a finisher.

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Not at all.
    Because we are betting on the wrong set of experienced and new players.
    We have seen this before: when Malik was banned by the disgraceful destroyer of the Pakistan cricket at home Ijaz Butt, we had a year of non-stop games in tests and odis against Sri Lanka and Zimbabwe. The players who cemented their spot during this time were Hafeez and Khurrum Manzoor. Thankfully we let go of Khurumm, but Hafeez continued to embarrass himself and Pakistan against quality teams thereafter.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    242 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Stop obsessing with India. They have a far better cricketing structure. Their batting culture is unmatched in this era. These comparisons are absurd. Do not pretend that India has been doing all the right things. Rohit still plays tests for them. Karthik and Raina have been brought back. Dhoni is still batting as a finisher.
    And what is stopping the PCB, the Pakistani players from establishing a better cricketing structure or should I say a better batting culture in this era?

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A win is a win no matter what. May be Pakistan can play its bench rather than stars

Debut
    Dec 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Match practice is always good but the quality of the opposition is very important in LOIs. Pakistan is a far better team than these minnow sides and shouldn’t be playing such long series’ against them. The only format where match practice would really be useful irrespective of the opposition is Test cricket, which Pakistan isn’t playing.

Playing against lower ranked sides like WI and BAN is ok but a long series against a minnow side might not bring much more than just fatigue.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    267 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    And what is stopping the PCB, the Pakistani players from establishing a better cricketing structure or should I say a better batting culture in this era?
    It is similar to asking what is stopping Pakistan to become the USA.

Debut
    Mar 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have never seen Rohit tired or avoiding difficult singles when running between the wickets. We can see the same energy and enthusiasm even on the 48th over. Infact he turns into a Superman after 40 overs.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    242 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    It is similar to asking what is stopping Pakistan to become the USA.
    Not exactly, at one point in time Pakistan was a much better side than India and had a stronger cricketing culture than India and the Cricketing economy and structure of both the countries were at par in the 90's and early 2000's.

Why has a nation with a very similar if not the same culture as ours gone so far ahead while we are still stagnant?

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    242 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandMaster View Post
    I have never seen Rohit tired or avoiding difficult singles when running between the wickets. We can see the same energy and enthusiasm even on the 48th over. Infact he turns into a Superman after 40 overs.
    Sarfaraz at one point in time used to be an excellent runner between the wickets, his fitness has really regressed.

Debut
    Dec 2005
    Venue
    Sharjah, U.A.E
    Runs
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandMaster View Post
    How much Pakistan cricket do you watch?

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    267 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Not exactly, at one point in time Pakistan was a much better side than India and had a stronger cricketing culture than India and the Cricketing economy and structure of both the countries were at par in the 90's and early 2000's.

Why has a nation with a very similar if not the same culture as ours gone so far ahead while we are still stagnant?
    Everyone knows the reasons and that's not a cricket related discussion. The thing is that Indian cricket has gone far ahead in this millennium so it is pointless to keep comparing every thing related to Pakistan cricket with India's.

Debut
    Mar 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    How much Pakistan cricket do you watch?
    Not ball to ball but watch the highlights. Not sure what that has to do with my comment on Rohit.

Debut
    Mar 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sarfaraz at one point in time used to be an excellent runner between the wickets, his fitness has really regressed.
    He is the weak link in the current Pakistan squad. He share a good bond with Mickey Arthur and other support staffs so somehow manages to escape.

Apart from Sarfaraz (and Imam to some extent) I don’t see any other Pakistani players being unfit.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1620 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    India also fill their down time by playing against minnows BD and SL. Just check the number of matches India has played against both in the last two years. It's not unusal to fill gaps in your calender by playing lesser opposition.

The superiority of the present Pak side over Zim is making this series hella boring, but in previous years we have dropped a test and an ODI against the same side.

#Hum apko container deingaye dharnay ke liyay

Debut
    Jul 2010
    Venue
    Glasgow
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can only play what's in front of you and whoever is willing to play against you. It's not PCBs fault that most of the bigger teams are already busy with matches or unwilling to play Pakistan.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone knows the reasons and that's not a cricket related discussion. The thing is that Indian cricket has gone far ahead in this millennium so it is pointless to keep comparing every thing related to Pakistan cricket with India's.
    I just dont understand how all of a sudden Pakistan bowling resources have depleted to such an extent. You have produced some high quality batsmen but the forte has always been bowling.

A country that was producing Imran, Waqar, Wasim,Shoaib, Asif has gone down way below their level in a department where they have produced such immensely talented players.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1620 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ab Fan View Post
    I just dont understand how all of a sudden Pakistan bowling resources have depleted to such an extent. You have produced some high quality batsmen but the forte has always been bowling.

A country that was producing Imran, Waqar, Wasim,Shoaib, Asif has gone down way below their level in a department where they have produced such immensely talented players.
    Are you kidding me?

We have the best bowling resources in world cricket today. Which other nation can produce of bowlers of this quality in this many number?

Amir
    Hasan
    Shinwari
    Abbas
    Junaid
    Shaheen
    Raees

Every single one of those could walk into any other side in the world and be their best or one of their best bowlers.

#Hum apko container deingaye dharnay ke liyay

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What has folks other than Amir and Hassan done against non-minnows yet? Kiwis whacked all of your bowlers in 5-0 drubbing.Getting hapless Lankans out doesnt mean they would do that against quality teams.

Debut
    Mar 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont think we need the batting to be very strong. Our bowling is much stronger and if our batting supports only this much then I think it is enough. Of course they should try to keep improving but I guess currently the combination is perfect.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of people here underestimate how important winning is for confidence.

And Pakistan has always been a confidence team, as was shown in both their 2 greatest moments in 92 and 2017 where the team went into a run from the doldrums.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Venue
    East Coast, US.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you think 'Fraz can pass the yo-yo test? You can't get into the Indian team without it.

And frankly, Rohit looks like he enjoys biryani a bit too much, while 'Fraz looks like he eats daigh of biryani for breakfast.

Ultimately though, 'Fraz averages 11 runs less even though he bats 5 to 6 places lower than Rohit.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Venue
    East Coast, US.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaka81 View Post
    You can only play what's in front of you and whoever is willing to play against you. It's not PCBs fault that most of the bigger teams are already busy with matches or unwilling to play Pakistan.
    Actually it is PCB's fault that it's run a corrupt ship, and run it poorly. Picked fights with other boards over the years, accused some of fixing without any evidence whatsoever, while being notorious for harboring fixers.

However, it isn't the fault of the lads with the green caps they're working for a joke organization. You're right to say that they can only play whoever is in front of them.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Venue
    East Coast, US.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    Are you kidding me?

We have the best bowling resources in world cricket today. Which other nation can produce of bowlers of this quality in this many number?

Amir
    Hasan
    Shinwari
    Abbas
    Junaid
    Shaheen
    Raees

Every single one of those could walk into any other side in the world and be their best or one of their best bowlers.
    Raees has played 9 games and has taken 14 wickets at an average 33. Econ of 6. Shinwari has played 3 matches. Afridi Jr has barely played any domestic cricket in any format, much less a single ODI.

Which bowlers in what sides could these guys displace to "walk into any other side in the world and be their best or one of their best bowlers[?]"

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    Are you kidding me?

Amir
    Hasan
    Shinwari
    Abbas
    Junaid
    Shaheen
    Raees

brother Amur, Hassan ,junaid or may be shaheen upto it's right but what has shinwari raees and Abbas done in world cricket, nobody knows them, and Abbas seriously that guy was trundling at 76-79 mph he will be eaten alive on pattas, shaheen is still raw yes the signs are good but it's too early too call, even junaid is bust or boom depends on his form and fitness.

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I agree with the OP. Playing a 5 match ODI series against a minnow is not going to help anything. Even India and England are only playing 3 match series.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are anyway not playing ODIs regularly.
    This should be used as a chance to try new players and new combinations, but seems we are not taking that risk.
    One thing I want to highlight, people may talk about Amir's rest, but one individual who deserve rest is Sarfaraz, he has played every game ever since he became captain, and keeping too..

Debut
    Dec 2005
    Venue
    Sharjah, U.A.E
    Runs
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefthanded View Post
    Do you think 'Fraz can pass the yo-yo test? You can't get into the Indian team without it.

And frankly, Rohit looks like he enjoys biryani a bit too much, while 'Fraz looks like he eats daigh of biryani for breakfast.

Ultimately though, 'Fraz averages 11 runs less even though he bats 5 to 6 places lower than Rohit.
    Sarfraz does pass yo-yo tests. Pakistan has a higher benchmark than India. Rohit looks out of shape as muchbas Sarfraz. Yes, Rohit is a good batsman which is why fitness doesn't matter for him, while its good enough to drop the captain of an international team who just won you an ICC tournament

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Venue
    East Coast, US.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sarfraz does pass yo-yo tests. Pakistan has a higher benchmark than India. Rohit looks out of shape as muchbas Sarfraz. Yes, Rohit is a good batsman which is why fitness doesn't matter for him, while its good enough to drop the captain of an international team who just won you an ICC tournament
    That's probably because he's a rubbish batsman who couldn't play for A-sides of top nations.