Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

"This will be India's time to win in England" : Wasim Jaffer

The summer of cricket in England is about to move to an interesting phase as England and India lock horns in a 5-match Test series. India’s status as ICC’s number one ranked Test side is assured regardless of the outcome of this series but England, currently ranked 5th, will have a great chance to improve their ranking if they can get a positive result from this series.

As always, the consensus of opinion points to an England victory due to home advantage but India’s supreme form with the bat and ball which has seen them succeed in many other trying conditions will also allow them to challenge the hosts. With top quality batsmen lead by the likes of captain Virat Kohli, an Indian victory could well happen but as the former Indian batsman, Wasim Jaffer explained in an exclusive interview with PakPassion.net, there will be a need for an all-round effort if India are to gain the upper-hand in the upcoming Test series.

“To win a Test match, you need most of the team to perform well and India cannot just afford to rely on one or two players to bail them out against England. In addition, for India to be successful in the Test series they have to play well over a period of 5 days across each Test match rather than hoping that good performances in one or two days of each Test match will be enough to see them home.”

Whilst the class that a squad that boasts the likes of Virat Kohli, Shikhar Dhawan, Lokesh Rahul, Ajinkya Rahane, Ravichandran Ashwin, Ravindra Jadeja, Ishant Sharma and Mohammed Shami can be a handful for any opposition in the Test format, India’s unenviable away Test record against England which reads as just 6 wins and 30 losses, does not look pretty. For Wasim Jaffer, who himself scored 5 Test hundreds in 31 Tests that he played for India, the talented and supremely skilled visitors should use their side’s past failures in England to propel themselves to newer heights.

“India's previous record in Tests in England should be a spur for the current crop of players to do better than many of their predecessors. I believe that this current Indian squad has a very good chance because they are a well-rounded side with good seamers, very good spinners and a very strong batting unit that has played in England before. They are an experienced bunch of players and the prevailing weather conditions should also suit India especially if it continues to be hot and dry.”

As is usually the case, the ICC’s number 2 ranked Test batsman Virat Kohli’s progress in the upcoming series will be a matter of intense scrutiny and discussion when England take on India in the first Test at Edgbaston. With 5554 runs to his name in just 66 Tests, the India captain is more than likely to play a pivotal role in India’s Test campaign this summer. In Wasim Jaffer’s view, this will be yet another opportunity for the India captain to showcase his skills in varying conditions around the world as he remarked, “Virat Kohli will be looking to this Test series to prove to himself and his critics that he can score runs in Test cricket in England. As one of the world's best players he will want to tick the box of having performed well in Test match cricket in England and this series is a great opportunity for him to do this. I'm sure Virat will be looking forward to the series and he will be very keen to score heavily against England.”

Virat Kohli’s reputation as one the toughest performers on the international scene appears to sometimes give the impression that India are over-reliant on his abilities. To Wasim Jaffer, apart from Kohli, the rest of the Indian line-up will need to up their game to help in posting big scores which could ultimately lead to a series victory for India.

“There shouldn't be an over-reliance on Virat Kohli though and this is where the support from his team-mates is important. Everyone in the team has a role to play and I think it's particularly important that the openers give India a good start. If India is to win the series, then they need good starts from the opening batsmen and they need to look at totals of 400 to 450 consistently and once you do that then I think India has the bowling to put England under pressure.”

The absence of Bhuvneshwar Kumar in the India Test squad, after the fast-bowler was excluded due to a lower back condition which was aggravated during the ODI series, is widely expected to cause some setback to India’s chances in the Test series. With 63 wickets in 21 Tests, Kumar could have been a source of concern for England batsmen in local conditions but as Wasim Jaffer explained, the replacements chosen for this task are more than capable of holding their own, “Unfortunately India will miss Bhuvneshwar Kumar as he has the ability to swing the ball and bowl that length that troubles batsmen and he would have been ideal in English conditions. However, the likes of Umesh Yadav and Ishant Sharma are two experienced bowlers who will be backed up by Hardik Pandya whilst the Indian spinners are also formidable, so all in all I think India has come to England with a well-rounded and well-balanced bowling attack.”

Whilst the formats may be different, the fact remains that on an important away tour like the current one, India would have been in a much better place if they had won the ODI series but that wasn’t the case. A 2-1 victory in the ODI series for England seems to have given momentum to the home side which they could easily translate into a Test series win and this is something that was of concern to Wasim Jaffer.

“I thought India were going to win the One-Day series, but England deserve credit for the smart cricket they played. In the last 2 matches, England and Eoin Morgan made some very good and correct decisions regarding what to do when they won the toss. India can actually learn from the smart cricket England played in the One-Day Internationals and use that in the Test series and ensure they pick the right team for the right venue depending on the local conditions. It's all about momentum and England will be a tough side to beat.”

Adil Rashid’s call-up for national Test duties against India has been the subject of controversy since the spin-bowler had announced he had given up red-ball cricket for his county Yorkshire and to many, this represented an undermining of the County system as it showed that a player could be selected for Tests without playing domestic cricket. Such arguments hold little water for Jaffer who fully supports the inclusion of Rashid.

“I think the decision to select Adil Rashid for the Test squad was not a surprise especially after the way he has bowled this summer. He's been bowling really well, and he looked in good rhythm in the Twenty20 matches against India and the ball was coming out of his hand nicely. He will play a very important role in the series and I always feel that leg-spinners are the ones who can get you key wickets. His inclusion in the squad will be crucial as the conditions point to surfaces that will take spin during the Test series.”

The touring India side have a huge task at their hands as they look to take on a very confident England team on their home-turf. To many, the world’s top Test side is equipped with the right combination to defeat England in this series and with a determined captain like Virat Kohli at the helm of affairs, chances of victory appear even higher. Wasim Jaffer who represented India in Tests in 2002 and 2007 on tours of England, agreed with this assessment and felt that England, despite having home-advantage, will find it difficult to arrest the momentum if India make a good start in the Test series, “This is the time for India to win a Test series in England. When they last toured England in 2014, I thought they had the squad to defeat England and they were 1-0 up in the series but then lost momentum and England fought back well. But this time around I feel age is catching up with Stuart Broad and James Anderson and if India don't give wickets to those two then I think England will find it hard to get 20 Indian wickets. It's a long series of 5 matches and it's crucial that you get off to a good start, but I feel this will be India's time to win in England,” he concluded.

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1728 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    Totally agree with Wasim on his thoughts on over-reliance on one or 2 players. England will test that weakness of the Indian batting line-up and Indian batsmen better stand up and be counted if they are to walk away from this series with anything positive.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Bit surprised at the bowling lineup that England have gone with for the first Test.

If India had Bumrah and Kumar, I think they would be favourites but it's pretty even now.

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Hemel/Coventry
    Runs
    Mentioned
    209 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Anderson and Broad have the potential to eat India's top order alive.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hadi123 View Post
    Only batsmen who can score here are Kohli, Vijay.

Rahul will be under lot of pressure to perform.
    Dhawan is a walking wicket in Test cricket.
    Kartik will be decent.

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Omitting Pujara was a good and very brave decision. Sends the right kind of message.

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Venue
    Jeddah
    Runs
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    India need a lead of around 150 runs, it would be difficult but they can do it, wpuld be curtains for England if they do so

[QUOTE=Mamoon;9742871]Don't see us ascending from 7th/6th in the near future. 5-0 in England and South Africa awaits us, we will be lucky to even draw one match. [/QUOTE]

Debut
    Feb 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bowling is still a concern for India. Bhuvi and Bumrah's absence should have given Kuldeep a chance, but instead we have Umesh and Ishant who are not too bad, but still easier for English batsmen to face.

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1728 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    Well he was right when he said India cannot just depend on Kohli alone!

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1487 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    India in with a chance to win the 1st Test.

But the issue of the lack of batting support for Kohli remains.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1728 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    India in with a chance to win the 1st Test.

But the issue of the lack of batting support for Kohli remains.
    Point proven today as the Indian batting order crumbled after his departure ( and was crumbling before he arrived!)

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1487 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    I don't think India will get a better chance to beat England in this series than they did at Edgbaston. England were there for the taking and India should have won the match. However a few Indian players proved that they are mentally weak and one would say over-rated.

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    I don't think India will get a better chance to beat England in this series than they did at Edgbaston. England were there for the taking and India should have won the match. However a few Indian players proved that they are mentally weak and one would say over-rated.
    Exactly.England wasn't great in this test(which is not surprising) but still India lost this test.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    India lost more so than England won.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1487 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Chasing under 200 in the 4th innings for a largely experienced batting line-up should not have been an issue.

Yes the ball was swinging, but it wasn't extravagent and the pitch wasn't a rank turner either.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jaffer your India after losing the one day series got told that Edgbaston is in Birmingham not Bangalore Chasing in the last innings is always gonna be difficult away from home when you are dependent on one batsman. I was confident that England would successfully defend what was needed Happy days

PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    India will compete well but don't see them winning the series

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    India should have won. This was their best chance.
    England will win all games from here on

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1728 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    Not to be am afraid.

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And, this is will be my time to become Indian Prime Minister.

Pigs might fly!

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1487 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    They've let themselves down at key moments during the series.

The chances have been there but they've allowed England to win key sessions and not forced the advantage home when England have been in trouble.

Too often they've let England's lower order get the home team back into the match when looking down and out.

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jaffer Saab and others have to hype up the team because they are paid by PR people to say all that who are in turn paid by broadcasters. Unfortunately, people just don't get it. Wait for the cycle to be repeated during Australian series. People have short memories and broadcasters have to sell the ads and the way to do that is to build hype before the series starts. Believe me none of Jaffer or Amarnath or other cricketers ever believed that India was going to win the series but bolna padta hai....

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3-1 and the series is gone with a test to play. Didn’t even come close. A good win at Nottingham but left themselves too much to do and we’re soundly beaten - albeit in a close game - in this test.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1721 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    This was probably IND's best chance to win a Test series in UK for some years. Unless there is a major decline in English cricket, next time IND will be touring with Kohli, Pujara & Rahne in mid 30s while Shami, Ashwin, BK & Ishant might not be playing Test (won't be close to what they are now in any case). On top of that, my relatives in UK were telling that this has been one of the driest & warmest summer in their memory - climate changing, therefore this might not be unique going forward, but highly unlikely that IND'll get such 3 wickets in UK. Only Test that we had a typical "English condition", Poms won by innings and 159, losing 7 wickets & inside 2 days. At least, Series should have been level by now going to Oval Test, but now it should end 4-1.

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Mississauga
    Runs
    Mentioned
    865 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MMHS View Post
    This was probably IND's best chance to win a Test series in UK for some years. Unless there is a major decline in English cricket, next time IND will be touring with Kohli, Pujara & Rahne in mid 30s while Shami, Ashwin, BK & Ishant might not be playing Test (won't be close to what they are now in any case). On top of that, my relatives in UK were telling that this has been one of the driest & warmest summer in their memory - climate changing, therefore this might not be unique going forward, but highly unlikely that IND'll get such 3 wickets in UK. Only Test that we had a typical "English condition", Poms won by innings and 159, losing 7 wickets & inside 2 days. At least, Series should have been level by now going to Oval Test, but now it should end 4-1.
    Also , England batting is really poor. Cook and Root did not hit even a single hundred.

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1265 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    India were never going to win this series. Even though the bowling has done well, the batting was always suspect. The bowling attack once again struggled to get rid of the lower order costing us the first and the 4th Test.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1721 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Justcrazy View Post
    Also , England batting is really poor. Cook and Root did not hit even a single hundred.
    Add to that Stokes issue and ENG selecting Adil for all 4 Tests!!!! Only excuse I can find is that Root won all 4 tosses, but still he made a blunder at Nottingham putting IND in, otherwise it could have been 4-0 by now.

But, I think ENG will decline in Test, unless this Coach guy is replaced. ENG's Test batting is in shambles and in ODI also, unless it's a 350+ condition, they'll struggle against wicket taking bowling attack. Jimmy & Barbi won't be there, and focusing too much on kung fu style cricket, I don't think ENG will be able to replace this bowling pair. The gap is so wide with these 2 against next bowlers that ENG's home dominance is likely to end soon, probably they'll lose next Ashes at home.

On contrary, going forward, I think IND will produce adequate replacements - may not be someone for Kohli, but this pace attack can be replaced. Come 2022-23, it might happen, but still a big opportunity missed.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jaffer must be eating his words like all India fans who said the same thing. England's bowling attack with Broad and Anderson is much better then India's. I don't see all this fuss over the Indian attack at all. As for the batting without Kohli it's no better then that of any other Test side. Before the series I predicted an easy win for England in their own conditions. Remember saying that in England the Indian batting side will not be able to score 600 in one innings then bowl the opposition out with 10 spinners and 20 short leg's!! This England batting side is amongst the poorest I have seen in Test Cricket yet with the supposedly best Indian pace attack ever they still couldn't defeat them.

PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Hemel/Coventry
    Runs
    Mentioned
    209 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely was their great chance, really could have won the 1st and 4th Tests. If it was Pakistan who lost matches like that, I, as a fan, would be heartbroken.