Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Australia tour of UAE (Pakistan) 2018

Finch a 'good chance' for UAE: Lehmann

Former Australia coach Darren Lehmann says T20 master blaster Aaron Finch is a "really good chance" to be selected for Australia’s Test series against Pakistan.

Finch, Australia’s T20 skipper and one-day international deputy, has been in blistering form this winter having peeled off centuries in both white-ball formats, including a T20I world-record score of 172 against Zimbabwe last month in Harare.

Australia’s selectors are set to pick the squad for the two-Test series against Pakistan in the United Arab Emirates after Australia A’s two four-day matches in India next month.

But Lehmann says Finch, who blasted 117 not out from just 52 balls for Surrey in England’s domestic T20 competition on Friday night, has the game to succeed against Pakistan.

And the former mentor revealed the Victorian was close to earning a Test call-up when he was at the helm and a member of the selection panel.

"He can play Test cricket, there’s no doubt about that," Lehmann told the Geelong Advertiser.

"He’s confident in the way he plays spin bowling, he can take an attack on, and leading into this Pakistan series he’s a really good chance to be selected for that one.

"He was always knocking on the door, but he just hadn’t made runs consistently.

"But his last couple of Shield years have been pretty good. If you take a look at his numbers, they’re right up there.

"He probably could’ve made a few more hundreds and pushed his case even further but he’s one player we talked about quite a lot.

"He’s close, and when I was coach, he was close. He’s probably closer now."

In the past three JLT Sheffield Shield seasons, Finch has amassed 1278 runs at 41.22 in 19 matches.

While those numbers are solid, the right-hander produced only two centuries in that period.

No player has scored more international runs without playing a Test match than Finch, who has amassed 4957 runs in 135 matches for his country.

But the burly 31-year-old is not making any excuses for that unwanted record nor the absence of a Baggy Green in his kit bag.

"I’ve got myself to blame for that (not playing Tests)," Finch said last month.

"When I was younger I had an opportunity to really push my case for a few years.

"I had probably 18 to 24 months of really lean four-day or any red-ball cricket to be honest.

"I was playing good white-ball cricket for Australia and couldn’t get the runs on the board in red-ball cricket."

Australia, under coach Justin Langer, will embark on their first Test tour in seven years without one of Steve Smith or David Warner when they travel to the Emirates in October after the pair were suspended from representing Australia until next March for their involvement in the Cape Town ball-tampering scandal.

Along with a mountain of Test runs and hundreds, Smith and Warner’s absence leaves a huge leadership hole along with international experience.

Finch has both international experience and leadership nous in spades, albeit not at Test level, and could be the level head Langer’s side needs in the UAE.

Where Finch would bat if selected remains a mystery. He opens the batting in white-ball cricket but has predominately batted in the middle order for Victoria.

Lehmann says the playing conditions would dictate where Finch bats should he be picked.

"For example, if you’re playing in the subcontinent where the wickets don’t seam that much, I’d open with him," Lehmann said.

"But if you’re playing in Australia, I’d bat him down the list.

"That’s the challenge Justin (Langer) and the selection panel have. But they’ve got to pick him first and work out where he bats."

If Finch does earn a ticket to the UAE, he said last month he’d be ready for the challenge.

"I’ve started to build up my red-ball game again and I feel a lot more comfortable now," he said.

"I’ve started to play my natural game, ultra-aggressive whether I’m playing in Australia or England.

"Test cricket will take care of itself if I keep scoring runs.

"I do feel over the last few years I’ve adapted my game and I’m in a much better position."

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/darr...deo/2018-08-04

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Mitchell Starc rates his chances for UAE

Injured Test spearhead Mitchell Starc rates his chances of playing in October's two-Test series against Pakistan "very highly" but the availability of sidelined quicks Josh Hazlewood and Pat Cummins is still uncertain.

Starc, who will spend tonight sleeping under the stars in the middle of the SCG to raise funds and awareness for youth homelessness as part of The Chappell Foundation's Sports Stars Sleepout initiative, says he's on track for a return to Test cricket in the UAE.

"I'm definitely available for selection, as long as it all goes well over the next few weeks," Starc told cricket.com.au.

"There's not many opportunities to play very much competitive cricket before that tour.

"I'm aiming to play some practice games for NSW when they're up in Brisbane if that plan goes ahead.

"The (comeback) plan will keep changing and developing with how my progress is.

"At the moment I'd like to think I'm very much available for selection for that UAE tour."

When asked to rate his chances of going to the UAE, Starc said: "Very highly".

Starc was ruled out of the fourth Test against South Africa in April and the 2018 Indian Premier League season with a tibial bone stress reaction in his right leg.

But with four months of rest, rehab and time in the gym under his belt, the 28-year-old is nearing a return to full fitness.

"The body feels good, I've been bowling for three weeks," he said.

"Once I've had a nice night's sleep here at the SCG I'm going to trek out to Blacktown tomorrow and do some more bowling.

"I think the plan is to bowl off my full run at about 85 per cent intensity.

"It's been a quick progression but a bit of a different rehab in terms of (the injury having been) my tibia and not my foot or my ankle this time.

"The plans were a little bit different. The three fast bowlers who are in the rehab group are up in Brisbane this coming week around the Australia A team and we've got some biomechanics testing as well."

While Starc appears set for a ticket to the Emirates to face Pakistan, the short-term futures of the other two members of Australia's fearsome Ashes pace trio is unknown.

On the eve of Australia's Qantas tour of England Hazlewood was ruled out with back soreness, while Cummins suffered a bone oedema in his vertebrae that ruled him out of the IPL.

While all three quicks have been running, only Starc has rolled the arm over, and he's uncertain of his teammates' comeback timeline.

"They haven't started bowling with me yet," he said. "I think maybe both of them could be starting up in Brisbane this week.

"Hopefully the three of us are back on deck and available for the UAE.

"I think I'm a little bit ahead of the other two with my rehab at the moment."

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/mitc...ood/2018-08-05

Debut
    Jun 2015
    Venue
    Srinagar
    Runs
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by giri26 View Post
    Injured Test spearhead Mitchell Starc rates his chances of playing in October's two-Test series against Pakistan "very highly" but the availability of sidelined quicks Josh Hazlewood and Pat Cummins is still uncertain.

Starc, who will spend tonight sleeping under the stars in the middle of the SCG to raise funds and awareness for youth homelessness as part of The Chappell Foundation's Sports Stars Sleepout initiative, says he's on track for a return to Test cricket in the UAE.

"I'm definitely available for selection, as long as it all goes well over the next few weeks," Starc told cricket.com.au.

"There's not many opportunities to play very much competitive cricket before that tour.

"I'm aiming to play some practice games for NSW when they're up in Brisbane if that plan goes ahead.

"The (comeback) plan will keep changing and developing with how my progress is.

"At the moment I'd like to think I'm very much available for selection for that UAE tour."

When asked to rate his chances of going to the UAE, Starc said: "Very highly".

Starc was ruled out of the fourth Test against South Africa in April and the 2018 Indian Premier League season with a tibial bone stress reaction in his right leg.

But with four months of rest, rehab and time in the gym under his belt, the 28-year-old is nearing a return to full fitness.

"The body feels good, I've been bowling for three weeks," he said.

"Once I've had a nice night's sleep here at the SCG I'm going to trek out to Blacktown tomorrow and do some more bowling.

"I think the plan is to bowl off my full run at about 85 per cent intensity.

"It's been a quick progression but a bit of a different rehab in terms of (the injury having been) my tibia and not my foot or my ankle this time.

"The plans were a little bit different. The three fast bowlers who are in the rehab group are up in Brisbane this coming week around the Australia A team and we've got some biomechanics testing as well."

While Starc appears set for a ticket to the Emirates to face Pakistan, the short-term futures of the other two members of Australia's fearsome Ashes pace trio is unknown.

On the eve of Australia's Qantas tour of England Hazlewood was ruled out with back soreness, while Cummins suffered a bone oedema in his vertebrae that ruled him out of the IPL.

While all three quicks have been running, only Starc has rolled the arm over, and he's uncertain of his teammates' comeback timeline.

"They haven't started bowling with me yet," he said. "I think maybe both of them could be starting up in Brisbane this week.

"Hopefully the three of us are back on deck and available for the UAE.

"I think I'm a little bit ahead of the other two with my rehab at the moment."

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/mitc...ood/2018-08-05
    Will he last the tour? That's the main question especially as India are visiting and Australia are without Smith or Warner

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    352 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A series that we need to be winning as it is the UAE. If we can't beat New Zealand and Australia in the UAE tests , serious questions need to be asked about certain players and Sarfraz. Misbah and Younis have been gone for more than a year so that can't be used as an excuse.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should be a great watch.

Been a year since we last played a Test match in the UAE.

Are the NZ Test series dates confirmed yet?

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    London, England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish it was more than just two tests. We should have gotten three at least.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    267 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Pakistan should beat Australia in the UAE.

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Venue
    Andromeda
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Pakistan must test likes of Fakhar, Shadab and Faheem vs Aus/NZ.

I've got high expectations from Babar Azam. Should score some daddy hundreds.

Let's see how it goes

Why 2 tests tho

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Am not so certain of victory after the SL fiasco.

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasan123 View Post
    A series that we need to be winning as it is the UAE. If we can't beat New Zealand and Australia in the UAE tests , serious questions need to be asked about certain players and Sarfraz. Misbah and Younis have been gone for more than a year so that can't be used as an excuse.
    It's the number of matches since they retired that matters.

Debut
    Jan 2008
    Venue
    TX
    Runs
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No schedule yet?

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't expect us to win the Test matches as we dont have muxh experience in Test and we need to sort our selection out

The LOI matches im positive we should win the ODI/T20S against New Zealand and Australia, we have a brilliant LOI team

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zoeyfactor View Post
    No schedule yet?
    No domestic season schedule. No schedule for Australia's tour of UAE. No schedule for NZ's tour of UAE.

Yet

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Josh Hazlewood and Pat Cummins in doubt for Pakistan Tests

Australia’s Test pace depth may soon be challenged, with star quicks Josh Hazlewood and Pat Cummins in doubt for the Test tour against Pakistan in October.

Australia will be landing in the UAE in about eight weeks from now to play two Tests and three T20s, but Hazlewood and Cummins reportedly are still trying to overcome back injuries.

Mitchell Starc said on Sunday he expects to be fit to play against Pakistan, which is great news for Australia given his record in Asia – 33 wickets at an average of 26 from eight Tests.

But Starc also revealed that neither Cummins nor Hazlewood were back bowling yet.

Australia surely would be loath to rush back either quick given their importance to three massive upcoming events – Australia’s home Test series against world number one team India, followed by the World Cup and the Ashes in England next year.

So there may well be two pace spots up for grabs. Australia will likely play two spinners in the UAE, as they have done in every Test they’ve played in Asia over the past four calendar years, but they’ll also take at least three quicks, with Starc an automatic selection.

https://www.theroar.com.au/2018/08/0...akistan-tests/

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1238 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    I have to say that the 2014 series was the most one sided annihilation of an opposition team I have ever seen at that level

The 2-0 score line doesn't begin to tell about the gulf of the gap between the two

I have seen Aussies beat England 5-0 twice and India dominate tons of test series at home but even then they don't come close to the utter domination we had. Asides from the first session in the very first test where Warner scored a century Australia didn't come remotely close to dominating any other

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there an ODI series or only Test/T20?

Hum na hon hamare baad, Sarfraz Sarfraz

Debut
    Dec 2007
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarfarazian92 View Post
    Is there an ODI series or only Test/T20?
    There is an ODI series but I think they moved it to the spring of 2019

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1619 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slog View Post
    I have to say that the 2014 series was the most one sided annihilation of an opposition team I have ever seen at that level

The 2-0 score line doesn't begin to tell about the gulf of the gap between the two

I have seen Aussies beat England 5-0 twice and India dominate tons of test series at home but even then they don't come close to the utter domination we had. Asides from the first session in the very first test where Warner scored a century Australia didn't come remotely close to dominating any other
    Really!!!!. AUS's 2nd last tour of IND was far more shameful - lost 4-0, bowling just 4 full innings, after winning all 4 tosses!!!!!

In that 2014 series, first advantage PAK had was winning toss on those wickets and bat first. It was till 3rd morning of 1st Test, game was balanced. SRL also dominated AUS in home series to win it 3-0 and if you think that 2-0 was "the most one sided annihilation of an opposition team at that level", then we really doubt how much you have seen!!!

Check these - not from far past ...

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/series/61475.html
    http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/series/61516.html
    http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/series/60775.html

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engin...es/598808.html

Or take this one
    http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engin...es/567346.html

It was a solid & confident performance in 2014, but, "the most one sided annihilation of an opposition team at that level .....", is a bit too much not to respond - sorry.

Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    everywhere
    Runs
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Australia dont have a competent pace attack. Sorry but if you arent fit enough to play a test series without getting injured, you arent really going to be counted.

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We will defeat Australia comfortably especially as they are without Smith,Warner and probably Hazlewood and Cummins.

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    Pan ka Khoka
    Runs
    Mentioned
    780 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slog View Post

That 2014 mauling was probably the most brutal I've ever seen Pakistan be against any opponent, EVER! The lowest individual high score among our top 6 was 87 runs by Tendulkar Shafiq while every other batsmen made runs as if we were playing against Papa New Guniea

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    209 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think we have learnt from the SL series last year and I expect us to win this easily.

Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    647 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Wouldnt be a shock if kiwis beat pakistan in the UAE.

Pakistan should beat Australia though.

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glenn Maxwell remains on limited training duties in a bid to ensure his right shoulder is fully fit for Australia’s upcoming Test series against Pakistan.

Maxwell’s body has generally been kind to him since he entered professional cricket ranks the best part of a decade ago, but a shoulder injury picked up while diving in the field during the one-day series against England in June has slowed down the all-rounder.

He endured limited mobility to play in Australia’s subsequent Twenty20 tri-series in Zimbabwe, but is now rehabilitating, meaning he did not partake in the full range of activities during Victoria’s three-day training camp at HMAS Cerberus naval base, which concluded on Wednesday.

“There was a lot of fluid built up around the bursa, and that was pinching. My range of movement was restricted quite a bit. It still is a little bit in the ways. It still is a little bit,” Maxwell said.

“I can’t reach fully above my head consistently. Every now and then it just pinches.

“I was able to get through with the T20 series in Zimbabwe and just find a way to throw comfortably, and by the end of that series I felt like I was throwing really well.

“But once I got home it was about making sure I could sustain it for the rest of my career. That’s what this period is about now.”

An energetic and at times acrobatic fieldsman, Maxwell acknowledged he was probably due for an injury, but was not expecting to need to change his style, having been taught how to throw like a baseballer at a young age.

“I’ve been pretty ruthless on my shoulder for my whole career, where I’ve taken no care in my body, in the field where I’ve just thrown it around. I’ve been pretty lucky to avoid injury for a long period of time,” he said.

“I suppose it was probably just a matter of time until I did something like this.

“I was lucky I didn’t have surgery or anything like that, it’s just about making sure it’s right to go when it’s required, which is hopefully in a month-and-a-bit’s time.

“It’s been good to have a bit of time where I don’t have to throw, bowl, and dive on it. Just give it the rest it probably needed.

“This is probably the first time that I’ve been able to sit down for about seven or eight years and actually plan out a pre-season. It’s actually really refreshing.”

Maxwell said he would sit down with Cricket Victoria staff at the end of the week to plot the next phases of his preparation, with a view to playing in Victoria’s first two one-dayers of the season, both in Townsville, against Queensland and Tasmania on September 16 and 19 respectively.

If all goes to plan for Maxwell, that would then be followed by a pair of Test matches against Pakistan in the United Arab Emirates, with the two-Test series expected to start in early October, although not yet confirmed.

Maxwell, who turns 30 in October, has played just seven Tests – all played in Asia – since his debut in 2013. His most recent appearance came in Bangladesh 11 months ago.

He we was called up as a replacement player for the fourth Test in South Africa earlier this year after Steve Smith, David Warner and Cameron Bancroft were suspended for their involvement in the ball-tampering saga that rocked Australian cricket, but did not make the XI.

Not included in the Australia A squad for the imminent tour of India, viewed as somewhat of an audition for the Pakistan series, Maxwell says he has exchanged a couple of recent emails with new Australian coach Justin Langer, but was not banking on being selected for the UAE Tests.
    “As far as UAE and Dubai’s concerned, you can’t really count on selection," Maxwell said.

"You’ve just got to basically get yourself ready for what is in the foreseeable future. If selection goes my way, I really hope it does, I’ll be ready for that.”

Maxwell also lauded the form of close friend Aaron Finch, whose white-ball exploits for Surrey and Australia in recent months have led to calls for him to be included in the squad for the Pakistan Tests. Like Maxwell, Finch is not in the Australia A squad.

Victoria’s players waded through muddy water on Wednesday morning in what was the culmination of the boot camp, which also included rockclimbing and a sinking ship simulation activity.
    The rare opportunity for elite sportsmen to use the facilities at HMAS Cerberus was facilitated by a connection with The Bravery Trust, a charity which provides financial assistance to veterans and their families in times of need.

https://amp.theage.com.au/sport/cric...mpression=true

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This has to be one of the weakest Australian sides Pakistan will ever play. No Smith, Warner, Hazelwood Cummins. Pakistan shouldn't just win, they should win comprehensively.

We should win against New Zealand too if we can contain Williamson

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Cummins and Hazlewood unavailable for Pakistan Tests

Cricket Australia has advised fast bowlers, Pat Cummins and Josh Hazlewood, will not be available for the upcoming Test series against Pakistan in the United Arab Emirates, as they continue to recover from their lumbar bone stress injuries.

Bupa Support Team Physiotherapist, David Beakley: “Pat and Josh are progressing well from their lumbar bone stress injuries but are not bowling, so unfortunately they will not be at the level required for Test match intensity come October.”

“Barring any setbacks, we are hopeful that Pat and Josh will return via the back-end of the JLT One-Day Cup, with the aim of them being available for the ODI Series against South Africa in November as they build towards the Indian Test Series.”

“On a positive note Mitchell Starc is back to unrestricted training and remains on track for the Test Series against Pakistan,” Beakley said.

Australia’s first Gillette ODI Series match is against South Africa at Perth Stadium on November

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Joe Burns sets sights on Pakistan Tests

Opening batsman Joe Burns is confident of shaking off a back injury and is targeting an extended run in Australia's Test team as he looks ahead to Pakistan and the home summer.

Burns' stint with Glamorgan last month was curtailed after just two T20 matches when he jarred his back in the field, but the right-hander is already back doing skills work with Queensland and hopes to step things up to full training next week.

"I was pretty frustrated with how it went down in Glamorgan," Burns told cricket.com.au. "The injury I picked up was only a minor thing but it just so happened that in that two weeks (of recovery) I basically missed my whole playing commitments.

"I'm really confident by the time we get to a game I'll be fine. The scans I got didn't show anything major so we're basically just guided by the symptoms."

Burns' next cricket action will be with the Bulls as part of a state camp at the end of the month, but it's beyond that where things get interesting.

The 28-year-old wasn't included in either the one-day or four-day Australia A squads for India, which could be construed two ways; either Burns is – like Shaun Marsh and Glenn Maxwell – a lock for October's two-Test series against Pakistan in the UAE, or he is out of the picture altogether.

Interestingly, Burns' Queensland and Australia teammates Matthew Renshaw and Usman Khawaja are both part of the Australia A squad, along with Peter Handscomb, with national coach Justin Langer hinting Test selection for the top six would hinge greatly on performances against India A.

It has been several months since Burns spoke to anyone from Australia's national selection panel, but when he did, the message was encouraging.

"I spoke a little bit with the selectors after the South African series, and everything was really positive there," he said. "I guess as a player all you can really do is trust that and prepare accordingly."

Going against Burns is his Test record in the subcontinent, albeit from a very small sample size: in four innings in Sri Lanka in 2016, he made 34 runs before being dropped for the third Test. In his only other two first-class matches on the subcontinent, against India A and a Sri Lankan XI, he has made eight and 72 respectively.

But Burns' focus is on rediscovering the highly impressive form that saw him average 55 in the Sheffield Shield and earned him a Test recall in a summer that ultimately cruelled by a groin injury.

"I don't think I've hit the ball as good in my career as I did last season," said the Queenslander, who turns 29 next month. "So when you're hitting the ball like that you want to be playing as much as possible.

"When I got back on the field for the last Shield game, then the (Shield) final and the Test match … I was basically on one leg.

"Going forward I'm hoping I can get that continuity and, with a few more opportunities now, an extended run at it.

"As an opening batter, you accept that you're going to be facing high-quality bowlers with a new ball on a fresh wicket – so you're going to have games where you do miss out.

"I remember I played eight Test matches straight – we had the home summer (2015-16) and then we went to New Zealand, where we went to No.1 (Test ranking) – and that was my most productive period; I got three hundreds, and averaged over 50.

"So I know that if I can get that genuine crack at it, I feel really confident that I've got the game that can have success, and I guess that's my goal for the summer."

Burns made his Test debut against India in the 2014-15 Boxing Day Test batting at No.6, and his versatility to bat anywhere in the line-up is understood to be highly regarded. He returned

Australia's Test squad to face Pakistan is expected to be named after the Australia A series against India, which concludes on September 11.

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/joe-...ury/2018-08-14

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Khawaja could open in UAE: Katich

Former Australia batsman Simon Katich says he wouldn’t be surprised if Usman Khawaja is elevated to opener for the upcoming Test series against Pakistan in the UAE.

Out of his 57 Test innings, Khawaja has batted at No.3 on 51 occasions, but Katich says Australia’s dearth of senior batsmen in the wake of the Cape Town ball-tampering scandal makes Khawaja a possible choice to face the new ball.

"I think they need some seniority at the top of the order and given he (Khawaja) has batted at three it might actually suit him to get out there and get into it straight away," Katich said on SEN’s Whateley program.

"He is an opener from way back when he first started playing club cricket."

While Khawaja’s record in Asia has been well documented – an average of 14.62 in nine innings with a top score of 26 – he has done exceptionally well when tasked with opening the batting.

In two innings as Test opener, Khawaja has scored 145 against South Africa at Adelaide Oval in 2017 and 79 not out against Pakistan in Sydney’s New Year’s Test when he replaced youngster Matt Renshaw, who was unable to bat due to concussion.

Renshaw was dropped for the home Ashes last summer but returned to the Test XI for the final match in South Africa in April after a dominant second half of the JLT Sheffield Shield season, where he scored three centuries in Queensland’s title win.

Despite missing out in Johannesburg, the 22-year-old’s red-hot form followed him to England and County club Somerset, for whom he plundered 523 in six first-class matches including three centuries.

It’s that form that has Katich believing the left-hander will start the home summer at the top of the order in Australia’s Test team.

"The one positive for me recently is that Matt Renshaw made a lot of County runs in England, which is a great sign for a young player," Katich said.

"He’ll definitely get a look-in at the start of the Australian summer if he can back it up with some Shield runs and potentially some runs on this A tour.

Katich continued: "I think he’s done a fair bit since he’s been dropped so in terms of runs on the board you can’t fault what he’s done playing for Queensland last year and in England for Somerset.

"I’d say he’s going to be a frontrunner for that role.

"Who opens with him? I think the Pakistan series might tell a few stories.

"It wouldn’t surprise me if Usman Khawaja opened in that series."

Australia is set to unveil a new-look middle order for the Pakistan Test series and the home summer without the presence of suspended skipper Steve Smith.

Victoria’s Glenn Maxwell, along with the Queensland duo of Renshaw and Joe Burns, was called into Australia’s squad for the fourth Test at The Wanderers, but he missed selection as his state captain Peter Handscomb was recalled.

Maxwell has played seven Tests, exclusively in Asia, and is regarded as a quality player of spin bowling.

The 29-year-old scored his maiden Test century in the drawn third Test in Ranchi against India last year and is expected to make Australia’s squad for the two-Test series to face Pakistan in the UAE.

Maxwell’s form in the June ODI series in England was mixed – 112 runs in three innings with one half-century – before a shoulder injury curtailed his involvement.

But Katich says Maxwell will be in the mix for a Test spot at home next summer should he score enough runs at the right time.

"I think he needs to get some runs on the board at the start of the season and particularly if he wants to grab an opportunity in this Test team," he said.

"He’s sort of been in and out and done well in the subcontinent at times but he hasn’t really had a good run at it at home in Australia.

"That’s probably what most guys need to find their feet at Test level, to play in conditions that they have done in many years in domestic cricket."

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/simo...ell/2018-08-21

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Cricket Australia confident two-Test series against Pakistan will go ahead

UPHEAVAL at the Pakistan Cricket Board instigated by the country’s new Prime Minister, cricket legend Imran Khan, won’t impact plans for a two-Test series against Australia in October.

Khan, whose party won power in a national election last month, appointed former ICC president Ehsan Mani as the new PCB chairman after Najam Sethi, who has a history of clashes with Khan, resigned.

Cricket Australia is well ahead in planning for the matches, which will be played in the UAE, despite no official confirmation of dates or venues for the games, Australia’s first Tests since the ball-tampering scandal in South Africa.

Tickets are not yet available either but CA are confident the matches will go ahead as planned with announcements expected in the immediate future.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/cricke...5394c458a64732

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    Not quite all there.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    919 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Which ***** schedules 2 test series anyway? Should be at least 3 test series or what’s the point.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    209 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Former India allrounder and spin consultant Sridharan Sriram has been described as a "genius" by Australia's Test stars and is once again imparting his wisdom on the country's premier leg-spinner Mitchell Swepson.

Sriram is part of Australia A's support staff led by head coach Graeme Hick and assistant Ryan Harris for the ongoing quadrangular one-day series and next month's four-day matches in India.

The 42-year-old has worked with Australia's top spinners for the past few years on Asian tours, and was part of the support staff in last year's memorable Border-Gavaskar Trophy series in the subcontinent where he worked with Swepson and Ashton Agar, the two specialist spinners in the Australia A one-day squad.

It was Agar, along with suspended skipper Steve Smith, who called 'Sri' a "genius" on that Test tour of India in 2017, and Swepson says the spin guru has once again been a useful resource as he prepares to take on India A at M Chinnaswamy Stadium on Thursday.

And beyond that, Swepson is in line to play two four-day matches against India A which precede Australia's Test tour to the UAE, where they'll face Pakistan.

"'Sri' has been great," Swepson said. "He's been a great help for me personally as a spin bowling consultant.

"He's always looking at ways I can improve my game technically and tactically as well, trying to get balls to hit the stumps, using variations and things like that.

"But also sticking to super-strengths and that's trying to spin the ball hard, which is what I've always tried to do as a leggie.

"'Hicky' and 'Ryno' they've mirrored that message as well – trying to hit the stumps but also giving the ball a good rip and that's what I'll try and do."

Australia's selectors are expected to name the squad for the Test series against Pakistan in the immediate aftermath of the four-day tour, which is set conclude on September 11.

Swepson will be vying for a spinning spot alongside left-arm spinners Agar and Jon Holland in the two four-day matches in Vizag, in a bid to impress selectors and earn a ticket to the UAE.

National coach Justin Langer has stated the 'A' tour will have a "huge" impact on the Test squad, but Swepson is putting the team success first and foremost.

"It's a massive series for everyone," he said.

"Obviously, the UAE tour is coming up, I think a lot of people will be wanting to press their case for that.

"I certainly will be, but for me it's always been the same – I've always not looked too far ahead, look at the next game, do as best I can for the team.

"And if we get performances as a team, the individual performances will be there and if that happens to be me so be it, that'll be great.

"If not, hopefully I can just do a role for the team."

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/mitc...dia/2018-08-21

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    438 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Lol yes lets hope Khawaja opens in the UAE. Man will not last more than 10 deliveries against Yasir Shah or Zafar Gohar.

Does cricket survive off of it's money or does it survive for it's money?

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    London, England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wait Usman Khawaja opening in the UAE????????

Yes that is an excellent idea.

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Peter Handscomb, in Bengaluru as part of the Australia A squad, is confident of tackling spin, having tried his hand at it in the past in the subcontinent too.

In 2017, Handscomb was part of Australia's Test squads that travelled to India and then Bangladesh. In the spinning conditions of both countries, Handscomb displayed glimpses of his ability to play the turning ball.

His gritty 72 not out in the third Test of the four-match series against India in Ranchi had helped Australia save the game, while his 82 in Chittagong against Bangladesh in the following series helped Australia square the two-match series.

Now, as part of the Australia A squad, Handscomb has a chance to put his name forward for selection to the Test team to tour United Arab Emirates to face Pakistan in a two-Test series in October. But Handscomb insisted that his focus was only on his current assignment.

"Took a lot of confidence from those Tests. I knew I could play spin relatively well, especially in Australia," said Handscomb. "But coming over to the subcontinent, and actually being able to put a couple of knocks together and score some runs was a nice feeling personally. It meant that I was able to have that confidence knowing that my game is good enough to stand up against some of the best bowlers in the world in tough conditions.

"I’m not thinking too much about the Test tour (Pakistan), thinking more about just getting out there and enjoying it, sort of – to use a cliché – play each ball as it comes down."

Handscomb's foundation to become a good player of spin-bowling were laid down in his backyard with his father playing the diligent coach. "My old man used to take me to the nets and just throw balls. I just had to use my feet and find a way to deal with it. So it was pretty awesome being able to do that with him. That started right from when I was about 10 to 16 or so when I stopped having him as a coach and moved on to some other people.

Handscomb went on to explain that it was in his backyard that he first learnt to use his feet to the turning ball, and that his technique was enhanced when playing for Victoria.

"I guess using my feet to spin has been a natural thing, with my old man I used to do a lot of training like that when I was younger. I was trying to figure out how to come out of my crease, but in terms of batting deep, that is something I worked on with my coach in Victoria. That seemed to work for me for a while, but I’ve got to evolve as well, even if that means I need to bat outside my crease or from the crease for certain periods, maybe go deep or forward again. I’ve got to be able to accept that and adapt."

When it comes to role models, Handscomb said he was very impressed with Ajinkya Rahane's technique. "I played in the IPL (Indian Premier League) a couple of years back with Ajinkya Rahane. I love how he plays, he has the ability to play spin off the back foot really well. I’ve watched him, had a couple of chats with him during that time, and I think he’s a quality player, and someone I’ve tried to emulate on occasions."

Handscomb feels his game has also benefitted from having Sridharan Sriram, the former India cricket, in the Australian set up. "(He) is one hell of a batter and bowler in his own right. He knows what to look for, and he’s been helping all us learn how to sweep, use our feet, play off the back foot," said Handscomb.

"He watches each batter separately, understands that we’ve all got different techniques and different ways of playing certain shots. And then he finds their strengths and tries to teach that, coach that."

While Handscomb is a more accomplished played in red-ball cricket, his limited-overs game is still in the process of getting 'refined'.

As a white-ball player, I’m still refining my game," Handscomb explained. "I feel my role is to try and control that middle order and that’s what I’ve been doing for Victoria now for the last couple of seasons, trying to own that spot at No.4 and control the tough times against spin, and knock the ball around to ensure I’m getting singles, rotate strike and basically keep the scoreboard ticking over."

Handscomb will have the opportunity to test himself as a white-ball player in the quadrangular series, featuring India A, India B and South Africa A.

"We’re just trying to win games for Australia now. We’re not going out there with a selfish manner of just scoring runs individually," he said. "We’re going out there, everyone’s buying into the team thing, whatever the team needs. If we all do that, we’ll come away with some wins. Individually, the guys would have made some runs and got some wickets as well. That’s how they’ll get to higher honours. First and foremost, it’s team first."

https://www.icc-cricket.com/news/828313

Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    647 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Our batting needs to buck up their ideas when it comes to individual and team scores. Since YK and Misbah have gone no one has stepped up and shown Authority with the bat.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    952 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post
    Khawaja could open in UAE: Katich
    Be my guest.

Debut
    Feb 2011
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TeymurBlake View Post
    Wait Usman Khawaja opening in the UAE????????

Yes that is an excellent idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markhor View Post
    Be my guest.
    Lol, this is a (much) worse idea than Moeen opening for England in 2015..

You are not a drop in the ocean - You are the entire ocean in a drop
    - Rumi

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    424 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Patterson eyes Indian route to Pakistan Tests

NSW Blues batsman Kurtis Patterson has declared he's ready for a move up the order as he prepares to push for a spot in Australia's Test team to face Pakistan.

With Queenslander Matthew Renshaw under an injury cloud, Patterson could find himself with the perfect opportunity to stake a claim with Australia A in Sunday's opening first-class fixture against India A in Bengaluru.

At least four spots in the Australian Test team to face Pakistan in the UAE in October are up for grabs, with Shaun Marsh and Glenn Maxwell – both excused from this A Tour – seemingly the only selection locks from the batting stocks.

Patterson and Renshaw join Usman Khawaja, Peter Handscomb and the uncapped Travis Head in the Australia A squad that will play two pressure-cooker four-day matches. Marnus Labuschagne has been added to the squad with Renshaw under an injury cloud with a hamstring complaint.

Patterson, who bats at first drop or No.4 for the NSW Blues in the JLT Sheffield Shield said he was ready to show he could move up the order and fill one of the vacancies created by the bans of Steve Smith, David Warner and Cameron Bancroft.

"I like batting somewhere close to the top of the order, top three is always where most blokes want to bat and that's certainly where I enjoy batting the most," Patterson said from Bengaluru.

"I've been batting three for NSW for a couple of seasons and I really enjoyed having that opportunity up there to be able to perform.

"That's ideal for me but wherever I bat it doesn't really matter. I'm sure I can go out there and do a job."

The 25-year-old averages 41.11 in 50 first-class matches. He's scored 23 fifites, and gone on to reach a century five times, with a high score of 157.

That top score came in his first match in November 2011 when the then 18-year-old became the youngest man to score a Sheffield Shield century on debut for NSW.

He was the NSW Blues top-scorer last season with 672 runs at 37.33. His last first-class century came in October 2016 in a day-night round of Shield cricket.

Patterson arrived in Bengaluru several days head of the first-class component of the A Tour, at the back end of the one-day series to acclimatise early, underscoring his eagerness to impress.

But Patterson is vowing to not let the pressure-cooker atmosphere and cut-throat competition or Test spots impact his game.

“There’s obviously opportunities there we’re all aware of that but it’s certainly not affecting my preparation or the way I’m thinking about the game," he insisted.

“Like any game, I want to try and put runs on the board and put team in position to win that game.”

Patterson unfazed by Test omission
    Patterson has experience with the fickle nature of Test selection; he was highly touted and in excellent form in November 2016 when Australia selectors promised a shake-up following a shambolic defeat to South Africa in Hobart.

Patterson, with a match-winning knock in the one-day cup final, a century and two fifites in the early rounds of that summer's Shield cricket to push his case, was ultimately overlooked for then NSW Blues teammate Nic Maddinson who debuted alongside Renshaw and Handscomb.

Australia A meet India A in Bengaluru on Sunday, and again from September 8.

Australia A Tour of India

Australia A four-day squad: Mitchell Marsh (c), Alex Carey (vc), Ashton Agar, Brendan Doggett, Peter Handscomb, Travis Head, Jon Holland, Usman Khawaja, Marnus Labuschagne, Michael Neser, Joel Paris, Kurtis Patterson, Matthew Renshaw, Mitch Swepson, Chris Tremain

Four-day fixtures in Bengaluru

2-5 September v India A

8-11 September v India A
    Source: https://www.cricket.com.au/news/kurt...ots/2018-09-01

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Holland repays faith, eyes Test return

Backed as the lone spinner in a crucial Test selection trial ahead of next month's series against Pakistan, Jon Holland did his chances of an international recall no harm as Australia A fought back in their four-day match against India A in Bengaluru.

After falling "a couple of runs short" in their first innings of 243 on Sunday, the Aussies restricted the hosts to just 274 on the second day as Holland (3-89) and uncapped Queensland quick Michael Neser (4-61) did the damage.

Holland's 30-over stint at the bowling crease was justification of the faith shown in him by selectors and captain Mitchell Marsh after the left-armer was picked ahead of fellow spinners Ashton Agar and Mitchell Swepson for the first of two unofficial Tests ahead of the upcoming tour of the UAE.

The most obvious vacancies in an Australian Test side that has been decimated by suspension (Steve Smith, David Warner and Cameron Bancroft) and injury (Josh Hazlewood and Pat Cummins) are in the batting and fast bowling departments, but there's also a race in three to be Nathan Lyon's spin partner for a series that's certain to favour slow bowlers.

And Holland, who earned a shock Test recall earlier this year having been controversially overlooked for tours to India and Bangladesh last year, pushed his case further with a tireless spell on Monday.

"Mitch backed me in as the captain and I pretty much just sat at one end for most of the day," he said.

"It was good to get a lot of bowling under my belt so hopefully I can read the conditions well on day four and take some more wickets.

"Everyone knows there's opportunities at the moment at the next level. Everyone's worked really hard in the off season to push hard for this tour and do really well and see what happens after that."

While spin is expected to play a major role in the two Pakistan Tests, Australia are desperately seeking fast bowling options after star duo Hazlewood and Cummins were ruled out last month due to injury.

Spearhead Mitchell Starc is set to lead the pace attack and he could well be joined by 28-year-old Bulls quick Neser, an international rookie who made his ODI debut in June and impressed with four wickets on Monday.

In conditions that have favoured reverse swing more than spin so far in this match - India A quick Mohammed Siraj picked up 8-59 on day one - Neser got significant movement on the second day to claim four wickets, the highlight being a fast in-swinger that clattered into the stumps of the home side's skipper Shreyas Iyer.

Following a 39-wicket season in Queensland's Shield triumph last summer, Neser is battling fellow uncapped quicks Jhye Richardson and Chris Tremain (0-39 on Monday) for a spot on the plane to the Emirates.

Test hopeful Neser draws upon Shield form
    "We spoke about it before the match that we just had to be patient and bowl in the right areas and bash a good length," Holland said.

"All the quicks did it and Michael was the one who came away with the wickets.

"I thought he bowled really well and he's been bowling well for a long period of time so it's good to see him get some rewards."

Australia A's batsmen will get a chance to push their Test claims on Tuesday when they resume on 1-42 in their second innings having lost NSW batsman Kurtis Patterson for 13 before stumps.

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/jon-...dia/2018-09-04

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1697 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    Ricky Ponting has suffered a serious Achilles injury during the shoot of a commercial while kicking a football. He reportedly underwent a surgery last week and is expected to get fit in three to six months time.

The injury could potentially hamper his coaching role with the Australian team as he was set to join them for their UAE tour where they face Pakistan for two Tests and three T20Is starting with a tour match later this month.

Ponting was part of Australia’s coaching staff for their limited-overs tour of UK earlier this year. There were reports of Cricket Australia in talks with Ponting to get him involved in a coaching role with the national team under head coach Justin Langer.

The development must have come as a dampener for Langer who is looking to take Australia forward in the aftermath of the Newlands ball-tampering scandal that resulted in the ban of Steve Smith, David Warner and Camerson Bancroft.

“Ricky’s knowledge of the game is second-to-none, and we know that his experiences, tactical expertise and leadership will be invaluable for this group,” Langer had said ahead of Ponting joining the national squad in England earlier this year.

More recently, Langer, who played 105 Tests for Australia and scored 7696 runs, had revealed he was losing sleep following his appointment as the head coach. “It’s bizarre but hopefully as I start getting my feet under the table and I start knowing who I trust around my new team of people at Cricket Australia, hopefully I start sleeping better,” the 47-year-old was quoted as saying by The Australian.

https://www.cricketcountry.com/news/...-report-743167

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    438 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Nothing's going the Aussies way lol

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    424 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Marsh fitness to sway balance of Test squad for Pakistan series

Cricket's national selectors will use Australia A's final first-class match in India for a clearer indication of whether Mitch Marsh can play as a genuine all-rounder in next month's Test series against Pakistan.

The tourists posted a 98-run win against India A in Bengaluru in their opening first-class clash, and will look to secure a series victory in Alur.

Australia won the toss and elected to bat on Saturday but Matthew Renshaw's hopes of impressing selectors were dealt a blow when he was bowled without scoring.

Renshaw missed the opening match because of a hamstring strain but still has support to be one of the openers against Pakistan in the two Tests in the United Arab Emirates.

Usman Khawaja has been rested from the second match after an excellent A tour, having locked in his spot for the UAE, where he could even open the batting alongside Renshaw.

Victorian Aaron Finch also has strong claims to a Test berth. Australia's Twenty20 captain may feel his hopes of a Test debut will never happen unless he is picked for the UAE tour.

Marsh has lifted his bowling intensity in the nets in India but did not take the ball in the opening game. He had been sidelined for five months because of ankle surgery after the losing South Africa tour in March.

His ability to bowl against Pakistan will be crucial to team balance. If he is fully fit, he could share the new ball with Mitch Starc, allowing the tourists to potentially use three specialist spinners and maintain a deep batting line up. But if he cannot carry a strong bowling load, it could mean the tourists will need to field an extra quick, and perhaps have an extra fast bowler in the squad.

The absence of suspended batsmen Cameron Bancroft, Steve Smith and David Warner, and injured fast bowlers Pat Cummins and Josh Hazlewood, has sparked much debate for the selectors, before the slated naming of the squad on Tuesday for the series of two Tests.

Victorian Glenn Maxwell gives the team another all-rounder, in his case providing the option of off-spin, so having three specialist spinners in the side for Tests in Dubai and Abu Dhabi may not be imperative. Pakistan coach Mickey Arthur told Fairfax Media he wants the decks in the UAE, Pakistan's de facto home base, to turn. Australia has not won a series in Asia since 2011.

Nathan Lyon, Australia's greatest off-spinner, will lead the spinning attack, while Victorian left-arm spinner Jon Holland, with nine wickets against India A last week, including 6-81 in the second innings, has all but booked a berth. He has been rested from the second match.

Holland played his only two Tests in Sri Lanka in 2016 but was a Test tourist in South Africa in March. Leg-spinner Mitch Swepson, who has strong support from Shane Warne, and all-rounder Ashton Agar are also in the frame.

Fast bowlers Brendan Doggett, Chris Tremain and Michael Neser also impressed against India A, and will look to strengthen their claims in Alur. Onlookers in Bengaluru said Tremain and Neser maintained an excellent stump-to-stump line while Queenslander Doggett was menacing, particularly with his short balls either side of lunch.

He has played only eight first-class matches and is on debut for Australia A, having impressed with 28 wickets at 27.71 from seven Sheffield Shield games last season, including five wickets in the final.

Veteran quick Peter Siddle, 33, played the last of his 62 Tests in Perth in 2016 but a productive English county campaign, with 34 wickets at 15.32, has seen him create a strong case. His nous and ability to deliver a strong stump-to-stump line could be invaluable in the expected sweltering conditions of the UAE.

WA quick Jhye Richardson also has strong support for Test selection. He toured South Africa but did not play a Test and has been a member of Australia's short-form teams this year. His pace through the air is seen as an advantage.

Peter Handscomb's poor form – he has only 12 runs in four innings through the A series in India - has him desperate for a big score in the final match in Alur. The Victorian captain had been seen as the natural replacement for Smith at No.4 but his troubles, particularly in the first innings of matches this year, have raised questions as to whether it would be in his best interests to start the summer at home.

South African-born Queensland batsman Marnus Labuschagne, who made 60 and 37 against India A, has been touted as a potential bolter, while Travis Head is another option to be a batting-spin bowling all-rounder.

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/spo...08-p502jj.html

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh man. So looking forward to watching Pakistan crucify Khawaja by spin. For some reason he thinks scoring against an out of depth Kuldeep has solved his problems against spin, they haven’t.

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks this will be the 11

U Khwaja
    A Finch
    M Renshaw
    S Marsh
    T Head
    M Marsh
    T Paine +
    A Agar
    N Lyon
    T Holland
    M Starc

Deep batting

Bowling: 1 seamer, 3 spinners, 1 pace and 1 spin AR

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Watson's plea to national selectors

Former Test allrounder Shane Watson has implored Australia's selectors pick and stick this summer, starting with No.3 Usman Khawaja for next month's Test tour of the UAE.

Khawaja all but assured his selection for the two-Test tour against Pakistan with a century for Australia A in the first four-day match against their Indian counterparts in Bengaluru last week.

It was the 31-year-old's maiden first-class century in India and a timely boost ahead of Australia announcing their Test squad for the UAE.

While Khawaja is a certain starter on home soil where he averages 59, he has been sporadically selected in Asia, dropped partway through series in Sri Lanka and Bangladesh and overlooked entirely in India last year.

Last October, he aired his frustration about the way Australia's selectors had chopped and changed the Test XI, saying it is "very hard to develop your game and play some consistent cricket if you're not getting consistent opportunities overseas, which I haven't been getting”.

But with Steve Smith and David Warner suspended, Khawaja and Western Australia's Shaun Marsh are now the most senior batsmen in the country and Watson wants the Queenslander to be a constant figure moving forward, regardless of the conditions, opponent or format.

"I hope 'Uzzie' (Khawaja) gets a really good run," Watson told cricket.com.au.

"He's one of our world-class batsmen, across all formats. He just needs have the confidence instilled in him by the selectors and by the coaching staff, to let him play with the freedom he does when he's at his best.

"We don't have a lot of world-class batsmen at the moment around Australian cricket and he's absolutely one.

"But when he's not getting selected all the time, he's worried about failing. Then you can see him going into his shell and that's not when he's at his best.

"When he is at his best he's one of the best ones we've got.

"So they need to look after him. If they keep playing him for one or two Test matches and then dropping him, that's not getting the best out of him."

While Watson called out Khawaja specifically, the Sydney Thunder skipper wants to see the same selection philosophy applied to all national players.

During his playing career, Watson felt the surgeon's knife more than the selectors' axe, but he knows better than anyone the mental strain playing international sport can have on top-level athletes.

It's why he wants to see the selectors - Trevor Hohns, Greg Chappell and coach Justin Langer - to show faith in their players and resist making knee-jerk reactions after one or two poor performances.

"When you're not performing in any walk of life, then you can sense when the heat is starting to come on," Watson said.

"The biggest challenge, mentally, is not letting that infiltrate when you're playing at your best.

"Because when you're playing at your best, you're not thinking about needing to score runs, you're thinking about how and where I am going to score my runs.

"That's where they need to get back to in Australian cricket. Give them the confidence that they have got time, they can play their natural game, not play someone in one Test match and then drop them.

"Because then it's not just the player that gets dropped, the other players around then go 'if they can drop him that, quick I better score runs'. And then the person coming in would be thinking 'if I don’t score runs in this first game, then I might be out as well'.

"They just need get a lot more consistent with selection. Trust their instincts on who they pick and also trust they've picked the world-class players we've got and stick with them.

"Just because you don't score runs for the first couple of games it doesn't mean you're done and there's someone waiting in the wings ready to take off and kill it."

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/shan...nce/2018-09-10

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

'Nervous' hopefuls await Test squad: Peter Siddle

Australia's Test hopefuls will spend Tuesday nervously waiting by the phone, says Peter Siddle, revealing new coach Justin Langer has told him age is no barrier to a potential international recall.

The National Selection Panel is set to announce the squad for the upcoming series against Pakistan in the United Arab Emirates, Australia's first Test tour since this year's scandal-ridden South African campaign, on Tuesday afternoon.

Siddle is among a number of contenders vying for a fast-bowling berth, with Ashes-winning quicks Josh Hazlewood and Pat Cummins to miss the tour due to injury.

Jhye Richardson, a member of the South Africa Test squad, is expected to be included alongside spearhead Mitchell Starc, leaving the likes of Siddle and Australia A quicks Chris Tremain and Michael Neser in the mix for one or two more spots.

"There is obviously going to be some nervous people – this is the most opportunity in one team being selected that there's ever been in the last 20 years," Siddle told RSN.

"There are a lot of spots up for grabs. There's going to be a lot of people holding phones in their hand waiting for a call."

Speaking on Tuesday morning, Siddle himself admitted he had no idea whether he was a legitimate chance of adding to his 62 Test caps.

The Victorian is fresh off a strong campaign with Essex in the United Kingdom, collecting 37 wickets at 16 in seven four-day County Championship games for the title-holders.

"I spoke to ‘JL’ (Langer) a fair bit in the time I was away about my own cricket, and then also about … the Australia A tour and bowling and preparing over in Asia," Siddle said.

"I've had some good communication with him, whether that transcends into selection, we'll see.

"It's all been positive. He's said to me that no matter how old you are, every game counts. That's a good way to look at it and it's the way I've been looking at things over the last few months.

"It doesn't matter who you play for, whether it's (his Premier Cricket team) Dandenong, Victoria or Essex – just make every game count, every performance will count and leave the selecting up to the higher powers."

Australia A quick Tremain is remaining level-headed about a potential maiden call-up to the Test squad after "a day in the dirt" where India A piled on 505 in their first innings in Alur.

"If I look around I'm already representing for my country playing international cricket," Tremain, who finished with 3-41 from 17 economical overs, said when asked about his chances of a UAE berth.

"I never actually believed I'd be a professional cricketer let alone playing for my country. I wouldn't say I'm content, I'm happy with what I'm doing.

"We let wickets, we let runs and we let selection deal with themselves because if we front up every day … they generally take care of themselves."

There are even more questions of the batting front, with the likes of Joe Burns, Peter Handscomb, Travis Head, Marnus Labuschagne and Aaron Finch all in the running for a limited number of spots.

Siddle gave a ringing endorsement to his Victorian teammate Finch, suggesting his experience in the Indian Premier League and capability against spin would hold him in good stead if selected for his first Test.

"If you break it down he's averaged about 45 for Victoria in first class cricket (over the last three seasons)," said Siddle.

"He's matured a lot as a player and he knows his game a lot better than he did as a youngster. His experience over in Asia – he's played a lot of IPL, plays spin well – the opportunity and the chances are there.

"If ever there's a great chance for him to get in, it's definitely going to be this tour. Fingers crossed for him he gets his chance in the next day or so, because the conditions will suit him (and) he plays spin so well.

"We'll see what happens. It's a big phone call for a lot of Victorians – there's a fair few in with a big chance."

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/pete...nch/2018-09-11

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kohli, The King of Chase View Post
    Looks this will be the 11

U Khwaja
    A Finch
    M Renshaw
    S Marsh
    T Head
    M Marsh
    T Paine +
    A Agar
    N Lyon
    T Holland
    M Starc

Deep batting

Bowling: 1 seamer, 3 spinners, 1 pace and 1 spin AR
    I think it may look more like

A Finch
    M Renshaw
    U Khwaja
    S Marsh
    T Head/M Labuschagne
    M Marsh
    T Paine +
    M Starc
    N Lyon
    T Holland
    J Richardson

I can't see Oz picking 3 spinners & 1 FT seamer.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1697 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    Peter Siddle and Aaron Finch could be set for a call-up to Australia's Test squad for their tour of the UAE, according to former Test skipper Ricky Ponting.

Selectors are set to announce their squad for two Tests against Pakistan today and Ponting believes the Victorian duo will add valuable experience to what is expected to be a young squad under new captain Tim Paine.

Ponting, who has worked as an assistant coach with Australia's T20 side in recent years but is not currently part of Cricket Australia's coaching set-up, says the pair will be important inclusions both on and off the field.

QUICK SINGLE
    subject
    Siddle issues Ashes message to selectors
    "A lot of people might be surprised to see (Siddle's) name back in a Test squad but if you look at last summer, talking to him and a few of his Victorian teammates, he bowled as well he's bowled in a long time," Ponting told cricket.com.au.

"Reading between the lines with someone like him, they'd be looking at someone to just do a job, tie up an end. He's good when the ball reverse swings and he's got that experience on his side, which a lot of players in that squad might not have.

Siddle rocks the Bulls with three quick wickets

"If you speak to people in the know, they've given him a lot of praise.

"I've seen Finchy up close and personal over the last seven or eight months during the T20 tri-series last summer and then the ODIs in England. There's no doubt he's a different player than even he was 12 months ago.

"He understands his own game better than he ever has.

"His four-day cricket for Victoria has probably been better than anyone else in the country, probably apart from (Matthew) Renshaw."

Siddle played the last of his 62 Tests almost two years ago, but is fresh off a strong campaign with Essex in the United Kingdom, where he collected 37 wickets at 16 in seven four-day County Championship games for the title-holders.

Siddle shines for Essex with 500th wicket

With Pat Cummins and Josh Hazlewood ruled out of the tour due to injury, the veteran could partner Mitchell Starc and uncapped youngster Jhye Richardson as the fast bowlers in the squad.

Finch, Australia's T20 captain and a mainstay of the ODI side, is uncapped at Test level but has been in red-hot form in white-ball cricket over the winter.

This morning, Siddle gave a ringing endorsement to his Victorian teammate, suggesting his experience in the Indian Premier League and capability against spin would hold him in good stead if selected for his first Test squad.

"If you break it down he's averaged about 45 for Victoria in first class cricket (over the last three seasons)," said Siddle.

Finch posts highest ever T20I score

"He's matured a lot as a player and he knows his game a lot better than he did as a youngster. His experience over in Asia – he's played a lot of IPL, plays spin well – the opportunity and the chances are there.

"If ever there's a great chance for him to get in, it's definitely going to be this tour. Fingers crossed for him he gets his chance in the next day or so, because the conditions will suit him (and) he plays spin so well.

"We'll see what happens. It's a big phone call for a lot of Victorians – there's a fair few in with a big chance."

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/rick...tan/2018-09-11

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

'For me, it's about bowling ugly' in the UAE – Lyon

Nathan Lyon returns to the United Arab Emirates for his second tour with the Test side as one of the leaders of the Australian attack and as a "better cricketer and person".

When Lyon takes the field for the first Test against Pakistan on 7 October, he will need only five more wickets to go past Brett Lee and become the fifth-highest wicket-taker for Australia in Test cricket. The second-most prolific bowler in the squad is Peter Siddle, who has 211 wickets to Lyon's 306 and will turn out for Australia after a gap of nearly two years.

They have Mitchell Starc too, who has 182 wickets, and while he has emerged as the spearhead of the Australian bowling attack, in the hot and dry conditions of the United Arab Emirates and a surface known to assist spin more than pace, Lyon, perhaps, has the biggest responsibility of the three, especially with Pat Cummins and Josh Hazlewood out due to injury.

But "no, not really," he told cricket.com.au when asked if he shares the larger share of responsibility with the ball.

"Starcy and I spoke about that. It is just about providing good examples. Leading in a way we have tried to do in each and every game. The big thing over here is that we will have to bowl well in partnerships."

In addition to Siddle and Starc, Australia also have fast-bowling all-rounders Mitchell Marsh and Michael Neser in their midst and Lyon believes the pacers will not play merely to make up the numbers.

"The fast bowlers are here not just to make up the overs. They are here to attack and defend. It is not that only one person has to stand up here. It is the whole bowling unit," he said.

"It is going to be a great challenge and if we can bowl well in partnerships and if we can put the Pakistani line-up under pressure, and make sure they are being asked questions of their defence, that's going to be the biggest difference."

Inevitably, though, it will come down to how well the spinners bowl in Asia, a place where Australia's record has not been the greatest. With Jon Holland, the left-arm orthodox spinner who has 25 wickets in his last five first-class outings, for company, Lyon is now focussing on building a good relationship with his chief bowling partner.

"I am a big fan of Jon Holland. He has done extremely well back in the Shield games at home over the last couple of years and is a very talented bowler," Lyon said.

"We are good mates as well, so our communication while bowling together in the middle was brilliant. So hopefully we can build our relationship here and take that out in the middle."

And how exactly does he plan to build this relationship? "For me it's about bowling ugly over here. We will have to find a way to hit the stumps and that might be bowling the square or round-arm, whatever that may be," he said.

"So yeah, it's having those conversations. It has been a brilliant lead up here before the first Test. The four-day game here in a few days is going to be a great time for us to experiment and also see the way they are going to play us.

"They really tried to attack me the last time I was here and I am expecting pretty much the same. Obviously, they have got different guys than Younis [Khan] or Misbah [ul Haq], but they have still got a very talented batting line up, so it's going to be a great challenge."

In the current squad, only Starc, Siddle, Marsh and Lyon have experience of playing Test cricket in the UAE – in 2014 – and Lyon, for one, certainly believes has grown in stature since then. "I think I am a better cricketer and a better person," he said.

"The amount of cricket we play, we keep learning. If you're not learning in a side, then you get in a little bit of trouble. But I have definitely learnt a lot from my past experiences in Sri Lanka, India and Bangladesh and of course here in the UAE. I feel like I am in a better place."

Australia begin their tour with a four-day warm-up tie against Pakistan A from 29 September before the first Test in Dubai. The second and final Test will be played in Abu Dhabi from 16 October.

https://www.icc-cricket.com/news/860331

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Abdullah719 any update on who will broadcast this series?

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mak36 View Post
    @Abdullah719 any update on who will broadcast this series?
    Haven't seen anything yet, might be more progress on this after the Asia Cup.

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post
    Haven't seen anything yet, might be more progress on this after the Asia Cup.
    Ok, thanks. Please tag me when there is an update.