Instagram

SportsFever360

Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Is James Anderson an ATG?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

26 65.00%
  • No

14 35.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Debut
    Jul 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He is definitely an all time great bowler. No ordinary bowler can have this many wickets.
    In my top SEAM bowling list in the past couple of decades, He is among the very best in setting up a batsman - I would rate Asif the best in this class and then Steyn and Anderson. In English conditions, He is extremely menacing.

Best of The Best : Tendulkar - Wasim - Gilchrist

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the question about how one qualifies for status of ATG, I have this feeling that in two or three decades time when the standard of international test cricket is equivalent to that of Zimbabwe's domestic cricket -- which can happen, who would have thought West Indies team of 80s would become such an embarrassment within 15-20 years and continuing - and in that era of all time low standard of mediocre test cricket , a batsman will arise of the calibre of Mohammed Hafeez and go on.and score 10000 runs, more 300s than Bradman, and our future generations will be discussing on PakPassion if the Hafeez of their era was greater than Bradman and Sobers, never mind just being a mere ATG.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    299 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    He has roughly 20% of his international wickets in one home ground.

"If this happens I will swim across the Charles River! In winter!" -- OZGOD on NZ batting 6 sessions

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffet View Post
    Dennis Lillee took 23 percent of his wickets at the MCG, Richard Hadlee took 18 percent of his wickets in Christchurch, Curtly Ambrose took 16 percent of his wickets in Trinidad, while Dale Steyn has also taken 16 percent of his wickets at Newlands. I don't think this argument applied to them.
    Last edited by Last Monetarist; 14th August 2018 at 21:48.

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So? If he is playing at lords then he you will drop him cause he has alot wickets there? or you will tell him to under perform cause you already have had alot wickets on same ground (which is greatest cricketing ground). What about batsman scoring many runs in same ground?

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    299 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Monetarist View Post
    Dennis Lillee took 23 percent of his wickets at the MCG, Richard Hadlee took 18 percent of his wickets in Christchurch, Curtly Ambrose took 16 percent of his wickets in Trinidad, while Dale Steyn has also taken 16 percent of his wickets at Newlands. I don't think this argument applied to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam99 View Post
    So? If he is playing at lords then he you will drop him cause he has alot wickets there? or you will tell him to under perform cause you already have had alot wickets on same ground (which is greatest cricketing ground). What about batsman scoring many runs in same ground?
    I won't use it against him. I was simply sharing it in this thread.

On topic, I don't consider him ATG at all. He is comfortably a tier below that.

"If this happens I will swim across the Charles River! In winter!" -- OZGOD on NZ batting 6 sessions

Debut
    Jul 2009
    Venue
    Bury
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhaag Viru Bhaag View Post
    Anil Kumble has 619 test wickets. Is he an ATG?
    Of course he is. Why is this even a doubt?

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    299 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abid Z View Post
    Of course he is. Why is this even a doubt?
    Nah, Kumble is not an ATG.

Debut
    Jul 2009
    Venue
    Bury
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Nah, Kumble is not an ATG.
    Lol. Just like that ? No reason no rhyme?

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    299 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    69 away test with average of 35+.

Enough to eliminate.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    265 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Anderson is like Younis Khan of batting.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    265 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    No. He was an excellent bowler at home but when you average 35 outside home (that includes Asia), you are not an ATG.

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kumble isn't even considered ATG by Indians. Dude's got truckloads of wickets because he played for so long. His longevity suggests he was a very fit player, but his away average implies he was limited in skill. Longevity is only a factor if you have good stats to begin with.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    21 5-fers at home and 5 5-fers away.

Not sure what to say?? 21 5-fers only at home is a ridiculous number in itself.

On away record, I would argue that England generally plays 4-5 tests away and as a fast bowler, it is very hard to maintain a sub-25 average in alien conditions when you are playing that big a series and more so, when your team is close to getting hammered there.

I remember the 2017 Ashes when Broad started really well in first three innings but England were all under sea and hence over a course of 5 tests, he completely lost motivation after that and ended up getting hammered in other tests.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Cook at 33 fails in 90% of his innings and drops every second catch at first slip. Clearly, he is on his last legs and his reflexes are waning. If he hangs around till 42, which is another 9 years, he won't score a run and won't catch a cold.

I find it ironic that you are calling Anderson's performance in Ashes 2010/11 as cherry picking, because the only cherry picking is dismissing his fantastic series because he took X number of lower-order/tail wickets. That is what you call cherry picking.

He took 24 wickets in the series and no other bowler came anywhere close to his tally. It was one of the most dominant performances by a visiting team in Australia in a long, long time, and he played a starring role. There is no point in weighing down his contribution because clearly, England would not have inflicted three innings defeats in five Tests without his bowling.

If we sort bowlers based on the percentage of lower-order/tail wickets that they have taken in their career, someone like Akram would feature very high in the last and Anderson would feature very low. In fact, he has often struggled to clean up the tail because of his lack of space. However, obviously this does not mean that he is as good as Akram - he is not even close - but a merely very good bowler cannot trouble some of the best batsmen of all time the way Anderson has.

People very easily dismiss his and Broad's success because they play a lot of matches in good conditions. It takes a lot of skill, talent and determination to bowl at the age of 36 the way Anderson is bowling. For example, look at the best bowler of his era (Steyn). He is the same age as Anderson, has less far less international matches but these days he cannot bowl 20 overs without getting injured.

Every player wants to have a long career, but longevity is not everyone's cup of tea, and those who achieve longevity deserves to be recognized for it.

Anderson is not as good as Marshall, McGrath, Ambrose, Imran, Akram, Donald etc., but he is not just merely a very good bowler.
    I think you misunderstood my point about Anderson taking 14 lower order/tailender wickets in 2010. I was replying to in the context of you saying that that was one of the best performances by an overseas bowler in Australia EVER. Surely someone who takes ~60% of his wickets in that series of lower order/tailenders cannot be classified as one of the best performances ever in Australia. If that is so, then it is an insult to the performances of Curtly Ambrose and Richard Hadlee in Australia. I'm in no way demeaning Anderson but his 24 wickets in 2010 does not hold a candle to some of the performances we've seen in Australia before. More than Anderson, it was Cook and Trott who won the series for England. The wickets were well shared between Anderson, Tremlett, Finn and Swann.

The point that you are making is Anderson is a great bowler. And I have never disputed that fact. I too believe that he is a great bowler who is doing great things. But the point of discussion was is Anderson an ATG? And that is where I think he doesn't fall into that league irrespective whether he takes 550 wickets or 650 wickets. His pathetic away record stands in his way of achieving an ATG status. He's an ATG in England for sure.

Longevity needs to be recognized and appreciated for sure but we shouldn't reward longevity with giving an ATG title to a bowler who does not deserve it.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I won't use it against him. I was simply sharing it in this thread.

On topic, I don't consider him ATG at all. He is comfortably a tier below that.
    Spot on.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Majid Khan View Post
    On the question about how one qualifies for status of ATG, I have this feeling that in two or three decades time when the standard of international test cricket is equivalent to that of Zimbabwe's domestic cricket -- which can happen, who would have thought West Indies team of 80s would become such an embarrassment within 15-20 years and continuing - and in that era of all time low standard of mediocre test cricket , a batsman will arise of the calibre of Mohammed Hafeez and go on.and score 10000 runs, more 300s than Bradman, and our future generations will be discussing on PakPassion if the Hafeez of their era was greater than Bradman and Sobers, never mind just being a mere ATG.
    Alas we live in a time when the majority here think he is an ATG...
    Even people willing to say that anyone who thinks otherwise has probably never even picked up a cricket ball..

Anyway, your post is spot on.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMMY69 View Post
    Alas we live in a time when the majority here think he is an ATG...
    Even people willing to say that anyone who thinks otherwise has probably never even picked up a cricket ball..

Anyway, your post is spot on.
    I said those that continue to disparage his career have probably never picked up a cricket ball.

You are perfectly entitled to think he's not an ATG, that's not a position entirely without merit.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's fast approaching McGrath's record, so he'll probably will go down as an ATG but not quite in the league of McGrath.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There have clearly been better bowlers than him, yes that's true. But presently I can't see anyone who is as good as him in the swing department in Test cricket. You don't get 500 test wickets by being mediocre.

Debut
    Apr 2007
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    208 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Right up there with his skills and longevity. I am very impressed with how he has carry himself in 30s, in last few years, he has been at his peak, which is impressive considering he is in mid 30s...

Leaving LOIs was best decision, he has focused on test length, that has helped him being consistent and master his skills even more...This is clue for future bowlers too, there is just too much difference in Test and LOI(specially T20) lengths to be good at both. Bowlers have to pick one or the other...Unfortunately there is not enough money in test for our bowlers to pick test over LOI, in England that decision is not that difficult ATM...

If you want to do things that are certain to succeed, you are doing very obvious thing - E Musk

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kroll View Post
    He's fast approaching McGrath's record, so he'll probably will go down as an ATG but not quite in the league of McGrath.
    Correct. He's nowhere near the level of mcgrarh. He's just a better version of Ravindra Jadeja. Both Anderson and Jadeja r extremely effective under helpful condition but quite average in everywhere else.
    Last edited by RainMan_; 16th August 2018 at 17:15.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1678 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Jun 2015
    Venue
    Srinagar
    Runs
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by happydavy View Post
    Great bowler absolutely but for me not in the league of McGrath but then who exactly could be put in the league of McGrath, don't think even Steyn or Ambrose could be compared to Mcgrath.
    Ambrose has <21 average with better performances in Australia than McG in WI especially considering the Aussie batters' monstrous averages at home. Plus Ambrose could run through teams alone in a way McG rarely did, his 7 for 1 spell is legendary

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1678 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    James Anderson is only 11 wickets away from overtaking Glenn McGrath's haul of 563 Test wickets and becoming the leading seamer in the history of cricket, not that he is focusing on the mark.

In an exclusive interview with Anderson and Stuart Broad ahead of the third Test against India at Trent Bridge - which you can watch live on Sky Sports Cricket from 10am on Saturday - Anderson said he cares more about the team's success than individual honours.

"I've not really thought about it [overtaking McGrath], to be honest," said Anderson. "I really try to focus on what I can actually effect now - the game that we are about to play, the spell that I am about to bowl. The wickets kind of take care of themselves if you bowl well enough for a long period of time.

"Stuart and I have had a similar mindset throughout. We try to help each other through games and, with the rest of the bowling attack, try to bowl well as a group, to help the team win a game of cricket. That's all we really focus on and if you ever take your focuses away from that your performances aren't so good.

Who was younger on Test debut? Who's had more five-wicket spells? Try and separate England's star seamers in our latest quiz!

"I think the fact that I've played quite a long time is probably the thing that I'm most proud of - putting in the hard work to stay on the field fitness-wise and then putting in the performances to stay in the team. Being a part of some great England teams over the years is something I'll probably remember more than some of the individual wickets."

Broad, who himself moved up to 424 Test strikes with England's thumping innings win over India in the second Test at Lord's, echoed Anderson's sentiments.

"Jimmy hit the nail on the head. I don't think anyone in the England changing room really puts too much emphasis or focus on individual numbers," Broad added. "The things you remember as a player are the moments in changing rooms when you win a Test.

"At Lord's last week we just sat there and time disappeared chatting about the game, talking and watching a bit of telly. It's those moments that you remember.

"Whether you fell one wicket short or went 100 past McGrath, I don't think you'd sit there at the end and be overly disappointed or delighted; it's more the brilliant spells you might remember or the moments of winning Test matches and Test series that you take with you when you finish."

http://www.skysports.com/cricket/new...mcgrath-record

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1678 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    Seems like he may need to wait a bit - not much happening in this Test

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1678 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1678 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He will also get to 600 wickets before retirement.

Think by next year Ashes, he should get to 600 landmark.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An ATG but not tier 1.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Jimmy Anderson is an ATG then Ravichandran Ashwin will also likely become an ATG in another 5 years.

Anderson:

home avg - 23.6
    away avg - 32.5

Ashwin :

home avg - 22.8
    away avg - 31.8

We'll have to see how many people think Ashwin is worthy of an ATG tag then.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    265 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    ATGs do not look complete toothless when there are no clouds. Funny to see Anderson picking up easy last wicket and it was Rashid and Curran who took the match winning wickets.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Not an ATG but a mighty fine bowler

Youve got to have great skill, fitness, determination and luck to play so many tests and take so many wickets

Hats off to him. I dont think any pacer will ever break this record

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the_outsider View Post
    If Jimmy Anderson is an ATG then Ravichandran Ashwin will also likely become an ATG in another 5 years.

Anderson:

home avg - 23.6
    away avg - 32.5

Ashwin :

home avg - 22.8
    away avg - 31.8

If Ashwin also manages to become the highest wicket taker in his craft (spin bowling) like Jimmy has in fast bowling then you are right that Ashwin will surely be counted as an ATG

#MPGA

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the_outsider View Post

Anderson:

home avg - 23.6
    away avg - 32.5

Ashwin :

home avg - 22.8
    away avg - 31.8

Jimmy had one great series in Australia 2010 where he took 24 wickets in the series and one great series in India as well in 2012. He also has done very well overall in UAE.

While for Ashwin,it comes down to series like West Indies and Sri Lanka.

A better analogy would be Anderson vs Kumble as Kumble has still some notable series performance against top teams in non-helpful conditions.

Ashwin's stats flatter him as a test bowler.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slog View Post
    If Ashwin also manages to become the highest wicket taker in his craft (spin bowling) like Jimmy has in fast bowling then you are right that Ashwin will surely be counted as an ATG
    This!

Anderson surely is ATG. It must be a super proud moment for Jimmy. Being the no 1 pace bowlers in terms of wicket is amazing. The game has seen so many greats and to top that list hats of.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great bowler but just not ATG for me.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ab Fan View Post
    Jimmy had one great series in Australia 2010 where he took 24 wickets in the series and one great series in India as well in 2012. He also has done very well overall in UAE.

A better analogy would be Anderson vs Kumble as Kumble has still some notable series performance against top teams in non-helpful conditions.

No doubt. But the truth is that even Anderson has only had 2 great overseas tour in his career. And even then I will be wary of labelling him as an ATG.

Obviously Ashwin will also have to have a couple of great tours overseas.

But even an ATG candidate like Jimmy averages an astonishing 40 in South Africa. Add to that his average of 33 in New Zealand and avg of 35 in Australia means he has mostly done very poorly in all overseas tours that are best suited to pacers. So Jimmy's stats also flatter him to a large extent.
    Last edited by the_outsider; 11th September 2018 at 21:40.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the record I don't think Ashwin is ATG material unless he changes dramatically in the future.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Charming little tidbit that I came across on cricinfo, the sort of statistical éclat that you can only witness in this great game of ours.

Glenn McGrath's 563rd and final test wicket 11 years ago at the SCG was one James Anderson, whose test record at the time read:

Played - 16
    Wickets - 46
    Average - 38.39
    Strike Rate - 60.4
    Best Bowling - 5/73 vs Zimbabwe at Lord's 2003

Who could have imagined at that moment in time as Mike Hussey took the catch which practically condemned England to a 5-nil Ashes defeat that the number 11 trudging off the SCG with an ordinary test record would one day overtake McGrath to become the most successful fast bowler in test history ? Anderson is a credit to all those enlightened folk that work hard and dream big.

You just have to love the randomness of it all.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Pindi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Akram the greatest: McGrath

While expressing his views on Anderson surpassing his tally of Test wickets, McGrath said

"Being a fast bowler is the toughest part of the game and injuries do play a part. To think that Jimmy's played for so long and continued at the top of his game shows his work ethic, his physical and mental strength and everything else that goes into it.

"When it comes to the art of swing bowling, there is no-one better. I think of somebody like Wasim Akram, who is one of the greats of all time, and he could just do anything with a ball.

"Wasim swung it both ways, was a left-armer and had power through the crease."
    Last edited by giri26; 12th September 2018 at 04:53.

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1257 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

'The next bar is 600' – McGrath backs Anderson to go the extra mile

Former Australia fast bowler Glenn McGrath believes that England's James Anderson, who broke the record for the most wickets by a fast bowler in Tests at The Oval, still has "a little bit left in the tank".

Anderson went past McGrath's tally of 563 Test wickets on Tuesday, 11 September when he dismissed India's Mohammed Shami on the fifth day of the fifth and final Test at The Oval. Shami's was the last wicket to fall as England won the game by 118 runs and pocketed the five-match series 4-1.

Only three spinners – Anil Kumble (619), Shane Warne (708) and Muttiah Muralitharan (800) – are now ahead of the English swing king in the overall list.

McGrath has backed Anderson to breach the 600-wicket mark, which is only 36 wickets away. "Just to see Jimmy now, he looks fit and keen and running around, it depends on what he wants to do. He has gone past me and I think the next bar is 600 Test wickets," McGrath told BBC.

"If he can get to 600 Test wickets, that's an incredible effort, and if he is still got that drive, that passion to get yourself up, to put the hard work in off the field to carry you through on the field... if he has still got that desire, then he can play as long as he wants."

McGrath finished his career with 563 wickets from 124 Tests, the last of which he played against England in 2007, and coincidentally, his last Test wicket was none other than Anderson. Anderson is 36 now, but McGrath believes that the Englishman has more to offer, and Kumble's tally should be the next target for him.

"I think he's still got little bit left in the tank yet," McGrath said. "I'd like to see Jimmy go and get 600 and then whether he wants to try and knock off one of these dodgy spinners that are still at the top of the tree. I think Kumble is about 619. That's within range."

https://www.icc-cricket.com/news/847249

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Pindi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Boss his 10 at Kotla makes him an ATG; forget the other 609

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1257 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Name:  IMG-20180912-WA0000.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  48.4 KB

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Yorkshire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    236 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Surely he is an ATG with those numbers?

Above graph shows that he sits comfortably amongst the rest.

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Undoubtedly. That does not mean he was the best, even of his generation. But certainly ATG. Longevity counts. If it didn't Sachin could not be deified in the manner that he is.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Surely he is up there. I mean which bowler has played 150 tests in their career?

We talk so much about Cook's longevity who is a batsmen and he has played 160 odd tests. Here, we have a fast bowler with 143 tests and is guaranteed to get past 150 test mark and even 600 wickets landmark as well.

Also, it is not like he has been carried just because of no other option available but he is still England's best fast bowler going around and one of the best in the world as well.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The argument that is against him is his away record. But still its not like he is mediocre away. He had his moments in Australia and Asia(India+ UAE).

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    704 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    The argument that is against him is his away record. But still its not like he is mediocre away. He had his moments in Australia and Asia(India+ UAE).
    Also in WI. I think he will do well in SL thus winter.

His away numbers have been improving slowly after an awful start. Since 2010, when he learned reverse swing from Asif, he has averaged 30 away. Not great, but he does a decent job.

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The criterion to become ATG fast bowler is to beat the already ATG batsman Virat Kohli's outside and inside edges. Anderson has done it considerably well hence ATG.

At present, can anyone point a bowler better than him to disturb quality batsmen with the authority he hold? Any trundler csn swing and bounce in English conditions. But haven't seen any bowler doing it just like Anderson do. Consistently beating world's best batsman. How many runs Kohli scored against Anderson? Once settled, batting is like an art for VK. Anderson was the only bowler to break Kohli's rhythm no matter how settled Virat Kohli is. Besides the greatest batsman shouldn't have cared any other bowler than Anderson with eyes so wide open.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fine player, and one of the greats.

You might get through a few all time test XIs before he occupies one of the 3 seamer spots in a traditional test line-up though.

Even from the 90s onwards there are a few I'd have before him - Waqar, Steyn, Wasim, Donald, Mcgrath, Ambrose, Akhtar.

There is still a case perhaps even for Pollock/Johnson/Walsh to be picked ahead...due to small sample size did not include Harris, Asif or Bond either.

SOUND the ALAM!

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    877 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Monetarist View Post
    Charming little tidbit that I came across on cricinfo, the sort of statistical éclat that you can only witness in this great game of ours.

Glenn McGrath's 563rd and final test wicket 11 years ago at the SCG was one James Anderson, whose test record at the time read:

Played - 16
    Wickets - 46
    Average - 38.39
    Strike Rate - 60.4
    Best Bowling - 5/73 vs Zimbabwe at Lord's 2003

Who could have imagined at that moment in time as Mike Hussey took the catch which practically condemned England to a 5-nil Ashes defeat that the number 11 trudging off the SCG with an ordinary test record would one day overtake McGrath to become the most successful fast bowler in test history ? Anderson is a credit to all those enlightened folk that work hard and dream big.

You just have to love the randomness of it all.
    Interesting and wonderful to know indeed.

He didn't even have 3 wickets per game at that time.

Just goes to show how massive transformations happen over time.

Not a soul could have predicted this to happen.

I am not one of you. I never was. I am not one of them either.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    930 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    No, he is not. Anderson, like Cook, is a great player but just because these guys have played an insane number of tests and accumulated an insane amount of runs/wickets, does not mean that they have the QUALITY that is needed for one to be an ATG.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    727 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I don't consider him an ATG. To be an ATG, you need to be ATG in home conditions but more importantly in away conditions too, he more than fulfils the first criteria but the second I think he falls short off the mark.

Politics trumps intelligence (pun intended).

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Let’s be honest cookey and Anderson have benefited from the fact that England play a lot of tests. They have created records in a decade whereas other players from previous eras would ve had to play 15 years to accumulate 100 tests and numerous side games county games and Odis to boot

Yes they have had great fitness but they have also been managed superbly with central contracts and consistent selection Not playing Odis and County cricket This benefit wasnt available to England players before this era who came to test duty underpaid, injured/ overworked and unsure of their position with all the chopping and changing in the team

Yes it should be a factor but Quantity solely shouldn’t be a gage of someone’s greatness

If pakistan cricket is to move forward they need to stop going back

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1257 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

James Anderson: McGrath and Steyn are better than me

James Anderson has his sights set on 600 Test wickets, but doesn’t think that that will make him the best fast bowler of all time.

Writing in a column for Fox Sports after becoming Test cricket’s leading wicket-taker among quick bowlers, Anderson praised the man he overtook, Glenn McGrath, as being “much better” than him.

“He was a much better bowler than me,” Anderson said. “This is not false modesty. I may have gone past his wicket tally but I honestly believe McGrath’s bounce, relentless accuracy, aggression and ability to move the ball made him superior. He had everything.

“Of the modern era, I’d happily tip my hat towards Dale Steyn. With his express pace, control and swing, he’s better than me, too.”

Anderson said he learned from McGrath as well as admiring him. “I also loved McGrath’s attitude. He had plenty of a snarl on the field — a bit like me, I suppose — and was super-competitive. He hated giving away runs or not taking wickets. We’ve shared a beer a few times and he’s a cracking fellow. I listened to the way he prepared for games and it really helped me.

“I heard him say once that he practised for when the ball didn’t swing. So if it did swing, it was a bonus. That philosophy has been a big part of my development. You so often see bowlers pick out a lovely new ball from the bag at nets and it looks great when it swings in the air and nips off the seam with batsmen playing and missing. But you have to simulate match situations.

“What about when the ball is 60 overs old, the sun is blazing down, the pitch is flat and there’s not a hint of movement? So, at practice, I often take an old ball that looks like it’s been chewed by a dog and work on variations and aiming for the top of off stump. That’s the quickest way to improve your skills.”

His record having been broken, McGrath suggested Anderson might be the first pace bowler to take 600 wickets in Test cricket. Anderson agreed it was possible, confirming that for the moment he isn’t thinking of retirement.

“McGrath reckons I can go past 600 Test wickets — I’m on 564 — and I don’t see why that is not possible because I feel fit, enthusiastic and surprisingly fresh for a 36-year-old after five Tests in little more than six weeks. But I remember McGrath saying he went into the 2006-07 Ashes in Australia with no plans to retire but, by the end of that series, he knew his time was up.

“Maybe it could happen to me just as suddenly but, right now, I have no plans to follow Cooky into retirement.”

‘Cooky’ is Alastair Cook, England’s record runscorer who retired after the conclusion of his side’s victory in the fifth Test over India, and Anderson paid tribute to his best mate.

“I’m extremely fortunate to have him as a mate,” he said. “He’s so down-to-earth — he’s not on social media, tries to keep a low profile and loves his time on the farm with his family and those lambs. Cooky is someone I look up to for his work ethic and the way he conducts himself. I’ll miss him as a friend and a shoulder to cry on.”

England’s next assignment takes them to Sri Lanka. There has been suggestion, with both Anderson and fellow veteran seamer Stuart Broad having played all seven Tests this summer, that one or both will be rested for that trip, but Anderson poured cold water on the rumour.

“There have been some mutterings about Stuart Broad and me being rested for the Test tour of Sri Lanka later this year,” he said. “I’d be flabbergasted if that happens. We don’t play white-ball cricket so have plenty of time to recover from these five Tests and prepare for Sri Lanka. The Test players don’t fly out until late October. Then we have more than six weeks at home until departing for West Indies in the middle of January for three Tests. Again, plenty of time to recover.”

https://www.icc-cricket.com/news/847969