Two children were among 10 victims injured in a shooting in the Moss Side area of Manchester, police have said.

Armed police were called to Claremont Road at about 02:30 BST.

Police said the victims had "pellet-type wounds that are not believed to be serious". One man is in a serious condition in hospital with leg wounds.

The shooting took place at a street party being held after the first day of this weekend's Caribbean Carnival in Alexandra Park.

Chief Supt Wasim Chaudhry, from Greater Manchester Police, said: "Thankfully the injuries suffered do not appear to be as serious as first believed and hopefully people will begin to leave hospital over the course of the day following treatment.

"That being said, there may be people who didn't seek treatment last night and I would urge these people to get immediate medical attention if that is the case."

He said the shooting was "a reckless act that could have had devastating consequences".

The man in hospital is said to be in a "serious but stable condition in hospital".

It is not yet clear whether his injuries were caused by the pellets alone, police said.

Moss Side anti-violence campaigner Dr Erinma Bell told the BBC she understood the shooting had been carried out by one man, but this has not been confirmed by police.

The Caribbean Carnival, which has been held every summer since 1972, draws thousands of people.

Residents said a street party was usually held in Claremont Road after the first day of events.

Youth worker Kemoy Walker, who had been on the main stage at the carnival on Saturday, said he was shocked at the news.

He said he had been at another street party in Claremont Road until about 23:30 BST.

"The party I was at was beautiful," he said.

"When I left there was lovely dancing. That's Moss Side, that's the culture. I'm in shock this morning."

He said he hoped the carnival would go ahead as planned on Sunday.

"We need to get the message across to young people to make sure they are not getting involved in negativity," he said.

Read the full article at: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45160462