Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bodies of 7 labourers retrieved from coal mine in Quetta [Update Post #2]

QUETTA: An explosion inside a local coal mine Sunday night left multiple colliers trapped underground, with no way out, Geo News reported, citing authorities, as efforts to rescue them were underway.

Personnel associated with Levies, Frontier Corps (FC), and Mines & Mineral Development Department have reached the Sanjdi coalfield site soon after the incident was reported.

While it is unclear what caused the blast in the Sanjdi mine, on the provincial capital's outskirts, the Deputy Commissioner (DC) for Quetta said the pit workers were located in a tunnel at a depth of some 4,000 feet.

A rescue operation was subsequently commenced and was underway, the DC Quetta added.

On the other hand, while expressing sadness at the coal mine incident, Alauddin Marri, the caretaker chief minister for Balochistan, said he has advised authorities to make every possible effort to extract the colliers from inside the tunnel.

Marri added that he has also recommended the rescue operation be sped up in the affected mine.

https://www.geo.tv/latest/207228-coal-mine

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bodies of seven of the 14 labourers trapped in a coal mine in Quetta's Sanjadi area have been recovered following a gas explosion last night — rescue teams told DawnNewsTV on Monday.

Rescue teams are trying to recover seven other coal miners who are still believed to be trapped in the mine. The excavation operation has been underway since yesterday.

Following the blast, the Balochistan Provincial Disaster Management Authority had said that the rescue teams were trying to retrieve the trapped miners, but had remained coy about the chances of their survival.

The miners belong to Shangla, Swat and Dir areas of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa.

Poor working conditions inside coal mines in Balochistan claim the lives of miners on an almost daily basis in Harnai, Sowrange, Dukki, Mach and other parts of the province, but often go unreported.

Coal mining is considered much more hazardous than hard rock mining due to flat-lying rock strata, generally incompetent rock, leakage or explosion of poisonous gases and coal dust, collapsing of mine stopes or general mechanical errors from improper use and malfunctioning of mining equipment.

According to the Pakistan Central Mines Labour Federation, between 100 and 200 labourers die on average in coal mine accidents every year.

https://www.dawn.com/news/1426776/bo...scue-officials

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is a real issue in Balochistan and provincial government has never done anything to end coal power and instead make efforts for solar panels and other forms of renewable energy.